[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible for an adventure or campaign to be successfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (60KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 680x478px
Is it possible for an adventure or campaign to be successfully "artsy"? How aesthetically and thematically conscious are you/should you be as a GM?
>>
>>53409251
No.

No!

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.
>>
File: image.jpg (292KB, 800x1140px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292KB, 800x1140px
>>53409251
Well, I think it's difficult because a GM can't be an auteur, as players control the major characters. However, Hideo Kojima managed to succeed for the most part in video games, which have a similar problem, so maybe it is possible for a GM to develop a style that doesn't conflict with RPGs. You might have to be a genius to pull it off, though.
>>
>>53409251
it's too much trouble with no actual reward unless you have super-conscious players that will appreciate and actually understand what are you trying to do and through their roleplaying enhance the whole of the game. And that is for all practical uses impossible.
>>
Noumenon does is pretty well, even in how to reads. It's very arthouse without coming off as snobby and to be honest some of the vocabulary is about as obnoxious as DnD's, that is to say as obnoxious as a role playing game that takes place within a metaphor should be.
>>
>>53409251
I mean in my opinion 'arty' things in other media are experimental or go against traditions of the medium, by this definition any rpg which uses mechanics in a non-conventional way could count.
>>
>>53409251
The fuck does "artsy" even mean?
>>
>>53410269

The 200 word rpg challenge that ended not that long ago is a good place for this sort of thing.
>>
>>53410302
'Art' fiction is usually defined as something made to be technically interesting as oppossed to entertaining. Basically an 'art' piece of media would focus more on have some innovative, interesting techniques involved than something people would actually want to go and see. As such they tend to only really be apealing to other people who work in the medium in question.
>>
>>53410407
So it's a circlejerk?
>>
>>53410485
In the way that everything that would be considered "niche" is a circle jerk. If you don't understand the appeal it's obviously not for you.
>>
>>53410485
Not neccesarilly, it's just a case of people wanting to try something weird or new without having to worry about giving it wide appeal.
>>
File: 1403503800646.jpg (378KB, 985x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1403503800646.jpg
378KB, 985x1365px
>>53409251
It depends on the group. Do they want to be awed? Do they want to let some mindfuckery happen, or have everything relate to some grand theme?

I know I can't manage it, because all I know about art is writing, and you can't really make good use of that with a tabletop campaign. You can try to make a good story, but you can't control the characters, the PCs do. And maybe they'll want a standard dungeon crawl or a fun way to spend their weekend afternoons, not some amazing experience.

You could always do something grand about the background of the setting, like TES does, but that's not something that will really hit the players unless you explain it or they want to learn about it. At best it can add some coherency to a seemingly incoherent narrative.
>>
I really wish.

Haven't found the right players though.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.