[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 390
Thread images: 28

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Beast Conclave Edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53385364

In the beginning of june, WoTC is announcing a new splatbook. Any ideas?
>>
>>53393367
>Dude memes *snicker*, we'll just keep posting bait it'll be hilarious to trigger people.
>>
keep it in /pol/ you dunce.
>>
>>53393367
Don't be a racist racist you racist.
>>
>>53393344

How long do you plan to keep throwing a tantrum?
>>
Anons? Query: do you think it'd be possible to convert the Spellscale from 3.5's Races of the Dragons to be a functional 5e race?

I ask because I'm morbidly curious, as these fuckers were one of the most badly put-together races in 3.5 that didn't have level adjustment.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Spellscale
>>
>>53393344
Not a splatbook. It's the new adventure book: Forgotten Realms, featuring the Ring of Winter. Possibly not on the Sword Coast but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>53393374
Since we have a that guy making threads at page six for le epic trolling I'll link this for possible input.
>>
>click on thread because OP pic looks interesting
>thread is full of butthurt /pol/-tier drama
Are all 5E threads like this?
>>
My character died and I got to roll up a new one for the next session. I want to be a Lore Master Wizard and I'm not certain whether I want to be a High Elf or Variant Human to be and where to put my ASI. I'd be level 6 with standard array. So should I do an ASI or Feat for level 4.

If I went Variant Human I'd want a feet that increased Intelligence So any recomendations here would be great.

And if I was High Elf I was wondering if I should put my 14 into dex or con. If I did dex I'd have a higher AC and be able to use a short sword more effectively when I inevitably got surrounded but I know that that is what shocking grasp and battlefield control is for. If it went to con I'd just have marginally more HP.

Also any recomendations for fun/useful cantrips?

basically build my character for me /5eg/
>>
File: A word of advice.jpg (91KB, 863x1300px) Image search: [Google]
A word of advice.jpg
91KB, 863x1300px
>>53393531
>I want to be a Lore Master Wizard
>>
>>53393529
Recently yes because the joke got old a while ago
>>
>>53393529
OP is someone who was triggered like 4 or 5 days ago and has been making early threads ever since just so he can have the picture be that of a non-white human. The /pol/ stuff is actually a reaction to someone shitting up /5eg/, believe it or not.
>>
How do I make a Cleric like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6k-a8-qvM

What Domain would the God of Meat be?
>>
Are there really a lot of DMs out there who would throw a hissy fit at rebalancing a surfacer drow into just normal darkvision, faerie fire and no sunlight sensitivity?
>>
>>53393529
Nah, it's a recent thing.

>>53393554
There's not much being shit up if it's just a single image. Thread being made early just for that is retarded but they'll keep doing until they get bored or people quit paying it attention.
>>
>>53393554
>Shitting up /5eg/
>With non-white people
Are you even listening to what you're saying?
>>
>>53393554
>this much projection
>>
>>53393569
nature, war or trickery as a god of the hunt because "meat" is a retarded portfolio idea
>>
>>53393599
>>53393602
Boy, I'm genuinely curious if you thought this would prove me wrong or right.

Hint: It didn't prove me wrong
>>
I'm working on a cowboy-inspired ranger conclave; one part of it is to make lassos a big deal, and by extension, nets.

So here's what I've got so far:
>You do not suffer disadvantage for making an attack roll with a net within 5 feet of a hostile creature.
>The net's range is 15/45 for you, and it has the Light property.
>The Strength DC required to break out of a net you use is equal to 8 + your Wisdom modifier + your proficiency bonus. Its hit points are equal to 10 + your ranger level.
>A ribbon related to tying and untying knots
>I'm still working on the specifics on this but when you have a creature trapped in a net/lasso, you can pull them around.

Is that enough or does it need to be beefed up a bit? You also get some bonus proficiencies but I'd like this to be fairly central to the archetype.

Also, are there any other key cowboy things I should include besides ridin', ropin', and shootin'? I'm thinking of basing the 7th level feature loosely on the bulletproof vest thing from... I wanna say Fistful of Dollars?
>>
>>53393550
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

>>53393621
>>53393569
Death maybe too.
>>
>>53393640
>Also, are there any other key cowboy things I should include besides ridin', ropin', and shootin'
Dueling. In fact, some feature for one-on-one combat should be central to the archetype. Kind of like Rakish Audacity
>>
>>53393638
That's because you're a racist, anon.
>>
>>53393700
I'm aware of that, thanks.
>>
>>53393599
>Implying

More like it's shitting up 5eg because it's being done deliberately to cause more /pol/ posting. Starting threads at page six every thread is a deliberate attempt to cause this exact type of posting.
>>
>>53393621
There is no difference. It's all meat. There's no spirit, there's no soul, there's nothing.

https://youtu.be/byGQzEB_NpA?t=1m46s

I think we've got a solid basis for a construct of faith.
>>
>>53393707
Are you also aware of the fact that you're a dying breed, and your grandchildren will be mixed?
>>
>>53393554
>OP is someone who was triggered like 4 or 5 days ago and has been making early threads ever since just so he can have the picture be that of a non-white human.
So doesn't making upset noises just encourage OP to continue basking in the butthurt and keep making threads with Adventurers Of Color? Or is this one of those reverse-psychology things where getting upset at OP actually proves that OP is upset
>>
>>53393722
My country is 98.something% white and literally everyone here is a racist. Even our most lefty of politicians non-chalantly drops "nigger" when he feels like it. America, we are not, negro.
>>
>>53393666
Ooh, that's a good one. Like "if an enemy makes a ranged attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to make a single ranged weapon attack against them. The attack you make is resolved before the attack made against you."

Or "when a creature makes an attack roll against you, your weapon attacks against that creature get some bonus until either you or that creature make an attack roll against, or take damage from any other creature," but obviously cleaned up.

Or something along those lines for the 11th-level sorta-Extra-Attack-but-not-quite feature.
>>
>>53393529
>Generic African in front of a Panther is an interesting OP pic

Please try to not be so obvious next time OP.
>>
>>53393738
You're using the word "upset" wrong. Observing reality doesn't mean it upsets me. It was simply an observation. OP is intentionally trying to encourage /pol/ posting by making early nigger threads. If you don't want /pol/'s reactions shitting up the thread, don't give them something to react to. OP does want them shitting up the thread though, hence the OP image.
>>
So I want to multi class into Sorc, but I don't have the required Charisma. If there was an item that increased my Charisma to the necessary amount, would I then be able to multi class?
>>
>>53393775
Why do you want to multiclass into sorc, if you'll be trash as it? And no, there's no item raising charisma. There's one for Intelligence, then.
>>
>>53393529
OP is baiting a /pol/ack.
I kinda want them both gone.
>>
I posted this towards the end of the last thread but here it is again. I have to make a character for a game of LMoP yet I have no idea what to make. My first thoughts were either paladin or wizard. The rest of the party is bard, cleric, druid, barbarian. Any advice? Oh and standard array and only the revised Ranger unearthed arcana for splat material
>>
File: image.jpg (287KB, 1000x1237px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
287KB, 1000x1237px
Any ideas for a magic bow to give a level 3 rogue?
>>
>>53393769
>We should accomodate racists by posting white-only pics
I think not.
>>
>>53393801
+1
>>
>>53393775
I think only if it's a permanent increase. Otherwise I imagine it'd be like how prereqs work for feats; if your Charisma drops below the required minimum, you lose your sorcery.

Though seriously, if you don't have 13 Charisma, you're just gonna be a crappy sorcerer.
>>
>>53393801
Don't.
>>
>>53393812
Trying too hard.
>>
>>53393801
The bow has strong illusion magic on it. The rogue has advantage on checks to conceal it, and X times per day the rogue can make shots with it appear to come from a completely different direction if the rogue is hidden when he fires.
>>
>>53393799
I've always wanted to play an Oath of the Ancients Pally but unfortunately I'm a forever DM
>>
>>53393801
Since it's at lvl 3 make it something truly minor.
Like summoning arrows when the string is drawn or sheding light/making the area arround the rogue dimly lit.

The +1 bonus should only start at lvl 6.
>>
>play lore wizard
>get one level on rune scribe and a fire master rune
>Use Spell Secrets to change all your damage to fire damage
>you now have advantage on every damage roll
Great or trash?
>>
>>53393821
Why not?
>>
File: scarab knight.jpg (112KB, 696x1000px) Image search: [Google]
scarab knight.jpg
112KB, 696x1000px
>>53393796
>he doesn't realize that we're all getting ready for the Zakhara supplement to FR
Hope you bitches like sand and genies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJP5dX86THE
>>
>>53393849
>Multiclassing UAs
Come back when you learn to read.
>>
>>53393812
No we should accommodate everyone with an array since this is not the board to discuss such issues.
>>
>>53393849
>lore bard
trash
>>
>>53393863
Because in my opinion the character has just unlocked his archetype, and they're one level away from an ASI/feat, and that should be enough of a power boost until a couple more levels in.
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>>53393891
He said lore wizard, anon. You know, the horribly overpowered one?
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>>
>>53393891
>bard
Fug

You know what I mean.
>multiclassing UA
>Ever
>Especially Lore Wizard
>>
>>53393842
I'm sorry anon, Ancients Pally/Green Knight is awesome.
>>
>>53393903
Yes, I've tried to wipe it from my brain and as such assume lore=bard.
>>
>>53393871
>My 5e sessions devolve into Stormies RP-ing as crusaders and fighting fantasy ISIS/Saudi Arabia.

I'm going to have fun anyway.
>>
Forever DM finishing a campaign in the next 4 weeks that has been going for over a year.

I wish I had another campaign going already because I already have everything laid out for the one I'm finishing.

REEEEEEEE
>>
You know what meme I wish would die? This whole thing about racists calling other people racists. Real tired of that shit.
>>
>>53393842
Have a NPC who is an Oath of Ancient Paladin. Then just have him/her doing his/her own thing in the world and the players encounter this character at times where their paths cross.

There's nothing wrong with having an NPC travel with the party, but putting the spotlight on them makes them a DMPC
>>
>>53393939
Black supremacy is ok. Latino supremacy is ok. Muslim supremacy is ok. Nice trip dubs.
>>
>>53393939
ah yes, the ol' Pot calling the kettle a nigger.
>>
>>53393938
This is a terrible attitude for you to have, anon, and I bet my ass it's subconsciously influencing your DMing. Do you think your players don't notice that you just want to get it over with?
>>
>>53393913
You know I don't even really mind DMing it's fun. It's just also fun to be a player
>>
>>53393912
Why is it bad? I'm new to this but my DM said he is tired of people playing the same archetypes ever so I tried to vary it a bit
>>
>>53393939
Blame Karl Rove. He went around to all these political operatives and gave them a nice ol' playbook about the magic of projection.
>>
>>53393974
Lore Wizard is overpowered trash.
just one example of many:
Cast Hold Person, change save to strength
If they fail the first save, they autofail all the rest since while under the effects of hold person, you autofail anything requiring a str or dex save.
>>
>>53393967
I don't want to just get it over with. I just don't have anything new to lay out for it, so I need another creative outlet.
>>
>>53393717
>There is no difference. It's all meat.
Your nihilistic crap has no domain and what you want to play is a CE Ranger.
>>
>>53393939
Pardon? I'm not aware of this meme. How does it work?
>>
>>53393974
It's way too strong. Force damage fireballs from a mile away? No other archetype in the game gets anything even close to that, and loremaster gets even more features after that.
>>
>>53393937
/pol/ please go
>>
Is Awakened Mystic overpowered? My group thinks I'm broken, we're currently level 6 playing OotA
>>
>>53393801
A loadable bow that only takes up one hand and does 1d6 damage.
>>
>>53394042
No. Power points are limited.
>>
>>53394005
Not really a meme such as simply pointing out the statements of all white people x is a racist statement.
>>
>>53394042
No. There's nothing about Awakened's features that would make it busted. If there's any problem with Mystic it's certain powers within disciplines, which can be tweaked on an as-needed basis and may never even be taken by a character to begin with.

I played an Awakened (the v2 that went up to level 10) and everyone agreed it was the weakest character in the party.
>>
>>53393444
I would probably split dragonborn into two subraces.
>Base
+1 Charisma
Draconic Ancestry, gain resistance to the damage type of your dragon Ancestry
Medium
Move: 30ft
>Trueborn
+2 Strength
Breath Weapon: According to Heritage
>Spellscale
+1 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Cantrip: As High Elf Feature
Manifested Nature: 1/day cast spell,
Black: Inflict Wounds
>Cruel and Sadistic Nature
Blue: Command
>Loves to lord over people, can make then do as you say
Green: Charm Person
>Manipulative Schemers
Red: Burning Hands
>Fire, rage induced
White: Ice Knife
>Ice, also known to be vengeful (Knife in back)

Don't have to time to do the Chromatic dragons, but pick an appropriate 1st level spell for each of them.
>>
>>53394051
So a crossbow?
>>
>>53394042
Mystic only seems OP at the start because of its versatility. It quickly gets outmatched. I'd argue you're not even really OP until you get that psi surge thing at level 11.

Only OP thing is Occluded Mind because of dodgy wording.
>>
>>53393801
Twice per long rest gain advantage on an attack.
>>
>>53394085
A hand crossbow.

It's better than a +1 bow.
>>
>>53393994
>>53393550
Why does everybody hate lore wizard?
>>
>>53394001
You are assuming that saying "its all meat" is me saying that everything is therefore meaningless.

Nah bro, nah.

Every creature is meat, all equal. All creatures deserve the same kindness and compassion. How dare anyone look down on another, for they are the same meat of those they look down on.
And we are all connected. We are all meat, all brothers and sisters. All part of the same whole.
>>
>>53394069
Nobody said that. You're projecting.
>>
>>53394124
>Racist calling other people racists

Ok
>>
>>53394115
You're just describing Christianity.
>>
>>53394055
This is the problem. I almost never use up my points due to frequent long rests due to typically 2 encounters a day. I'll talk to the dm about longer days
>>53394087
They think broken will, ego whip, and phantom betrayal are op. I pretty much just use occluded mind for rp.
>>
>>53394114
i dont know, maybe the exact reason i listed in my post?
>>
>>53394115
Nature domain.
>>
>>53394114
1. It's overpowered
2. It's everything sorcerer deserved and they threw it on the wizard, the reason sorcerer has problems
3. See above
>>
>>53393842
Yeah I was actually thinking about doing oath of the ancients. I just didn't know of LMoP lended itself well to any particular class
>>
>>53394200
Paladin is never a bad choice.
>>
>>53394200
Like >>53394221said paladin is never a bad choice. Unfortunately I have done LmoP so I can't give advice if OoA is the best choice out of all. However if you pick it you'll still be useful.
>>
>>53394158
How? Taking control of a monster is almost never as damaging as what you could do with an attack.
>>
>>53394170
>It's everything sorcerer deserved and they threw it on the wizard, the reason sorcerer has problems
Magic ain't free. The tree of arcane knowledge gotta be littered with the blood of lesser classes. Simbul a.k.a. "Bitch-Queen of Aglarond" is not my archmage, and probably a warlock too. It's wizards of the coast, not sorcerers who can boast ok. Praise Elminster.
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>53393753
From the thumbnail it looked vaguely Frazetta-ish. However, your abject paranoia made me snicker, so thanks for that.

Hey look my captcha is the OP image
>>
>>53394251
That's what I've told them lol. I think they just find the concept of controlling a monster op when it's not.
>>
>>53394158
>oh no he's CCing the monsters and facilitating us, how overpowered
You need to take Psionic Weapon and Wood Mastery and show them what real OP bullshit is.
>>
What is with the hate with multiclassing with UA material? I've never seen this before and it's confusing.
>>
File: 3 Wisdom.jpg (8KB, 144x167px) Image search: [Google]
3 Wisdom.jpg
8KB, 144x167px
>yfw you come up with the perfect solution to fix sorcerer
>yfw you look at the PHB
>yfw you realize sorcerer has problems because it's basically wizard but worse in every way except it can twin haste
>yfw you apply that fix
>yfw you put it as a wizard archetype
>>
>>53393880

No need to be a cheeky bitch, it was my DM who suggested this build in the first place but now that I've read up about it and know how it should work he won't let me update it because he thinks it'd be OP. I'd also prefer to get +2 to all my attack rolls and do 2d6 + 2xmod instead of 1d8 + 1d6 + 1xmod you know.

It'd also keep me at range more often, which I wouldn't mind with only 16 AC.
>>
>>53394292
Because it's play testing material and specifically states you shouldn't multiclass it.

For me it's players attempting to take advantage of a new DM to make broken characters, it's only fun for the jackass doing it.
>>
>>53394283
Point out that while that kobold is hitting his friend for 1d4, you could be using those 5 psi points to hit the creature with 5d10 + 1d6 per turn end.
>>
>>53394292
Other than the box on every UA article saying none of it has been balanced for multiclassing?

There's a lot of jealous sorcerer-fags who aren't happy being better than all the martials, they need to compete with wizards, bards, and clerics too.
>>
>>53393640
I think for the lasso it'll be along the lines of "you can drag a creature of your size category (or your mount or vehicle's size category if you are mounted) or smaller to any point within 15 feet of you, or you can force it to follow your movement." I gotta figure out the wording.

I feel like there should be a way to save if this would force the creature into something dangerous. Should that just be a flat number? 8 + Str + Prof? Spell save DC (which would mechanically be ideal since it means not adding another separate save DC to the character but it doesn't make a lot of sense).
>>
>>53394303
That said, if the feat is still oddly worded. If you're able to use it only with one free hand and one HC which you use twice, why does it specify 'one handed weapon' and not just 'hand crossbow'? The only reason you'd be able to use another 1HW with it would be if you had more than 2 hands, no?
>>
>>53394253
>look at me, I'm a fancy wizard who can recite some rote shit from a book
Wizards are the IT nerds of the magic world, down to their tendency to think they understand all magic because they did one year of college in an unrelated tech field.
>>
>>53394461
And sorcerers are good because they have magical diarrhea?
>>
>>53394478
As in the real world, talent should > hard work.
>>
>>53394364
>>53394359
I'd firmly argue that while not specifically balanced for multiclassing, most of it works. And if something comes out that is particularly broken, as is always the case it's the DM's prerogative to say no or make it work, with even more backup with saying things weren't balanced in that fashion.

But I guess I come from playing with groups that actually care that everybody is having fun, DM included, and broken things happening are met with either the player wanting to make sure everything is cool with everything and it is, or the party saying things need to be changed and looked at.
>>
>>53394492
What's the magic class for me if I have neither talent nor the ability to work hard and instead daddy gave me a lot of money I use to bribe people into saying I'm a great arcanist?
>>
>>53394531
Warlock.
>>
>>53394492
>Shitty archetypes
>Few spells known
>No archetype spells
>No damage bonus to cantrips
>No arcane recovery
>No exlusive spells
Please tell me more about your talent.
>>
>>53394531
Warlock
>>
>>53394531
Warlock, obviously.
>>
>>53394551
>talent should > hard work
>talent should
>should
>SHOULD
Clearly you need to hit the books again.
>>
>>53394586
Should, in your fantasy world. Reality is not going to bend over for you.
>>
>>53394498
I understand that, it's just my personal experience as a DM and player that have ingrained a policy of no multiclassing UA. I've had one too many people throw a fit because I've done just that, even with explaining at the beginning that if it's too much I'll dial it back.

If the campaign is among friends or people who you know aren't going to cause a problem it's acceptable, but that is an exception and not the norm.
>>
>>53394601
Pardon? Talent > hard work in reality. It's only in your fantasy world in which this isn't the case.
>>
>>53394586
I hate to agree with the other guy but talent untrained does nothing for you. True you might be better than the average schmuck but unless you've trained that talent you won't be as good as the guy who has.
>>
>>53394607
Playing D&D with your friends who are reasonable human beings isn't the norm? Fuck, I seriously hope that isn't the case.
>>
>>53394638
My God-given height and weight would stop even the most well-trained of manlets in their tracks.
>>
>>53394664
For some it isn't, I was in the situation for a while because of where I lived.

>>53394671
Depends on what the manlet knows
>>
>>53394638
Sorcerers train their talent. Wizards are basically people who replace all talent with book learning.

Magic wonks if you will.
>>
>>53394671
that's why us manlets invented guns.
>>
>>53394708
Not really. If my reach is half a foot longer than his and he can't even physically lift me, then he's pretty much done.
>>
>>53394619
Okay, I think we can put to bed any notion that this isn't bait.
>>
>>53394758
>b-b-b-b-bait!
Is this the new "umad"? You know that whole "I've lost the argument, how can I save face?" thing.
>>
>>53394671
t. TheAmazingAtheist
>>
File: sonicethical.jpg (132KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
sonicethical.jpg
132KB, 960x960px
>>53394730
Us tall people get manlets to believe we're somehow better at critical thinking, which is why we're overrepresented in the upper echelons of business (particular CEO positions) and thus have enough money and loyalty (whether it be legitimate or compelled because if we fire you, your insurance is gone and you'll have to sell your home) to have a goon squad that will protect us from your guns and send you to jail for 30 years for even suggesting you'd like to murder us, meanwhile we're fucking your daughter.
>>
>>53394777
jokes on you, no one would dare mate with me
*bang*
>>
>>53394292
Allow one of your players to play a Stone Sorcerrer1/Hexblade Warlock 1.
Then see how it goes at higher levels.
>>
>>53394776
Is he not like 5'10" and fat? Also, why would he say "God-given"?

>>53394777
>to believe
There's no "believe" about it. We are objectively smarter and stronger.
>>
Sorcerers are basically the old money of casters.

The other main casters are basically all sorts of new money: Clerics are the megachurch reverends, wizards are the academics, warlocks the conmen and bards the entertainers.
>>
>>53394735
You do realize there are techniques that use the opponents own strength against them right? I'm not saying it'll be easy but someone trained will be able to handle someone untrained.

>>53394709
True, it's why I normally let sorcerers have access to the wizards spell list.
>>
>>53394531
Definitely a warlock. Have fun shooting a bunch of laser beams and making everything bend to your whims. Just make sure to choose half-elf or tiefling, preferably the latter.
>>
>>53394838
>You do realize there are techniques that use the opponents own strength against them right?
Watch out lads, this boyo is going to use The Lethal Touch on you. Guard your traps from his lethal karate chops!
>>
>>53394814
Stone Sorc 1/Hexblade 1/???? X

Say, at level 11, what would the rest of the build be?
>>
>>53394866
not that anon, but seriously taller opponents are much easier to "throw" than smaller ones, I've done it. the trick is you don't actually throw them, it just looks like it. It's more of an involuntary flip, which is easier to perform because their center of gravity is higher. Smaller opponents are harder to flip because you need to be under their center of gravity, which means you have to get much lower.
>>
>>53394292
General consensus is you shouldn't allow any UA multiclass without a strict review of what the player is doing

Otherwise everybody and their mother would take a single level dip of revised ranger
>>
>>53394877
Sorcerrer, Fighter or Warlock levels.
You get to Super Smite, have CON based AC, CHA based Attack and damage rolls, invocations for utility...

Basically you get to be a proper spell caster and hit shit with a bat by only having 2 high stats.
>>
>>53394913
Alright Steven calm down.
>>
>>53394946
I'm not saying a larger opponent doesn't have advantage is most other forms of fighting, just saying that taller opponents, when it comes to throws, are much easier than smaller opponents.
>>
>>53394984
I'll just pretend you win so you don't hip-throw me through a glass pane, Steven.
>>
>>53395012
i prefer a bat to the dome when you aren't looking, personally. But then, I'm a sketchy fuck.
>>
>After seeing this shitposting
>Remember I haven't visited /fit/ in a while

I wonder how those idiots are doing.
>>
>>53394946
What is the significance of calling him Stephen?
>>
>>53395031
I bet you play a Warlock
>>
Is there any race besides var human that gets a free feat? I want to make a pole arm fighter but they seem very feat dependent with sentinel, polearm feat, and great weapon feat. But I'm kinda tired of playing humans and want to try something else like a sickass lizardman with a spear or something.
>>
>>53395069
warlocks AND rogues.
>>
File: 1495448314361.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1495448314361.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>boss fight spans several sessions
why DM
>>
>>53395062
Your size matters not, to Steven.
>>
>>53395083
>he doesn't want to live DBZ
gaylord
>>
I want to MC pally and sorc, is there a de facto build for this? I've heard 6 levels of pally (vengeance) and the rest sorc, but is there a way to build it with more focus on paladin for a tankier Frontline character?
>>
>>53395083
>ANY fight lasting several sessions
How do you even achieve that?
>>
>>53395083
Is everyone taking forever with their turns or something?
>>
>>53395088
I'm really more of a jackie than a steven.
>>
>>53395105
Yes, it's called being a sorc for shield, mirror image and hypnotic pattern.
>>
>>53395083
How
>>
Character creation in this game is dull.

I honestly think it's best played as gestalt in a 2:1 level ration.

Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 and so forth.

Allows much needed refinement of character identity end mechanical skillset
>>
>>53395116
>>53395145
>>53395183
The man suffers from a fatal case of Never-read-the-DMG-and-thinks-he's-Matt-Merceritus.
At least he's really good at making growling noises for his boss monsters.
>>
>>53395188
Nah.
>>
>>53395188
Neh.
>>
>>53393599
>I have no culture of my own and have to dick ride white peoples and white peoples culture is only valid when expressed through other ethnicities.

Fuck off
>>
>>53395116
I've had fights last about an hour or two, though we were fighting while split up over an entire dungeon and doing some time sensitive shit as well.

Also the fucking enemy Wizard spammed Misty Step.
>>
>>53395188
No.
>>
File: StormKingsThunder_header.jpg (424KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
StormKingsThunder_header.jpg
424KB, 1920x600px
So, I'm going to be running Storm King's Thunder sometime in the near future. I've already read the module and thumbed a PDF of SCAG, but can anyone that's run this adventure before give me any advice that I might need?
>>
File: western-town.jpg (252KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
western-town.jpg
252KB, 1600x900px
Any recommendations for a good map maker?
I'm looking for something I can use to map the entire region, the towns/villages, and caves/dungeons the party will travel through.
It's an old west setting so having railroads as an option would be a plus.
>>
File: darkfalz.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
darkfalz.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
>>53395145
>>53395183
>his BBEGs don't go through at least two form changes, shifting from a man to a tree made out of angel corpses and then a miles-high eldritch death god with track lighting
>>
>>53395227
>>53395236
>>53395257
Oh I wasn't asking I was just letting you guys know how it is. I come from a world in which I don't have to worry about powergaming that-guys, my groups are comprised of socially adjusted people who build for story. We gestalt to make characters more interesting. 5e is abysmal for character creation variety and some of us don't like waiting til level 11 to have interesting mechanical options. The fear of gestalt that forumgoers have is mostly unjustified
>>
>>53395385
Hm. Nah.
>>
>>53395385
What crawled up your ass and died buddy?
>>
>>53395385
No, not really.
>>
File: Scott Ryder just wants to die.webm (3MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Scott Ryder just wants to die.webm
3MB, 900x506px
>>53395385
>mfw this lazy bait
>>
>>53394984
are throws useful in fights to the death? it seems like, if you're close enough to grab an opponent for a throw, you wouldn't be as able to protect sensitive targets like the eyes or groin.
>>
>>53395506
they are actually, most fights tend to end on the ground one way or another, if you can get your opponent on the ground in a vulnerable position, you likely have victory close at hand.
>>
What's the best domain for Arcane Theurgy, Light, Knoweldge, or Arcana?
>>
>>53395530
None of those.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>53395530
You can pick others rather than those three.
But honestly I'd go for knowledge. Get expertise in intellect skills + have high intellect.
>>
>>53395520
I thought that was mostly among incompetent drunks. Isn't defending the eyes and groin difficult in groundfighting? Sure, a lot of people are going to be dazed if they're flipped, but someone who can keep their wits about them could use the situation to their advantage.
>>
>>53395530
Tempest for stealing the Evoker's capstone except Lightning and Thunder only at level 2.

Life for spellist.

Nature for being Druid+Cleric+Wizard.
>>
>>53395608
true but if you flip them and are now on top of them, you are in a better position than if you both were upright facing each other. Of course a skilled grappler can reverse the situation, but generally speaking, "throwing" your opponent and engaging a grapple is more beneficial to the thrower than the throwee.
>>
>>53395473
Just because people react to it with an attitude doesn't mean it's bait. A partial gestalt does add quite a bit of flavor and variety to this game and it's only ever as problematic as players involved. People on 4chan are going to react sharply to it in the same sense they react sharply to eastern themes - they associate it with other things, and don't have any actual issue with the thing itself that they're able to articulate.
>>
any noteworthy feats for barvarians to take besides GWM? or just pump ability scores each time
>>
>>53395674
are these cream-filled barvarians?
>>
>>53395593
>You can pick others rather than those three.

Oh I must have misread the UA, why do they recommend those three then?
>>
>>53395652
>problematic
You have to go back.
>>
>>53395652
>nah
>sharp reaction
Are we reading the same thread?
>>
>>53395652
The game wasn't balanced around it and it's likely to make things a lot harder to build around.

You would have to use fights of a higher effective CR to keep things challenging which means weaker enemies become worthless a lot quicker. It makes no narrative sense for Goblins to stop being a threat that quickly
>>
>>53395696
Flavour.
Theurgy is already pretty powerful, so you don't have to take the most min-maxed domain and an take an appropriately wizardly one instead.
But you can pick others if you think it's appropriate.
>>
>>53395652
Why not just start players at a higher level?

Why not give players, say, a customizable feat or something?

You can already viably multiclass something if you feel it's appropriate. All you're really suggesting is that eevrybody's forced to multiclass (Reducing options?) and has higher levels.
>>
>>53395674
i took Dungeon Delver to facilitate the barbarian trap detection method.
>>
>>53395674
PAM , GWM and Sentinel

If you're a strength barbarian, you should seriously consider taking two of those or else you might as well just be a barbarogue
>>
>>53395375
In school I learned the basics of adobe illustrator for map making. Its okay. We mostly made statistic maps not fantasy one. My DM drew a map by hand. It's not great skill wise but it is pretty damn helpful and flavorful.
>>
I know that dual wielding falls behind other melee styles in terms of damage, but are there any classes that can maximize it's effectiveness?
>>
>>53395375
>mapping the world
MS Paint / GIMP / Photoshop
>mapping towns
No one cares
>mapping dungeons
Old graphing paper or its digital equivalent, draw out the rooms, then theatre of the mind everything within it
>>
>>53395881
Barbarogue is your best bet, in particular strength barbarogue.
>>
>>53395807
>might as well be a barbarogue
why? do they have more damage featless?
>>
>>53395881
most martial classes will remain competent, just make sure your class doesn't use bonus actions for anything before you delve into it.
>>
>>53394389
You're overthinking it, most of the shit that happens with the lasso will be contextual and the DM can figure it out
>>
>>53393344
I find the Artificer class (specially with Gunsmith) a little bit underwhelming. What could I do to make it more dynamic / powerful?
>>
>>53395904
They get rage damage added to their bonus attack.
They can drop a shortsword for grappling and still have another shortsword to sneak attack with (can't do this with a shield).
They can stay in melee combat with survivability.
They have extra attack so they won't be using booming blade like a melee rogue should.
Some of their features don't work at range so they don't use hand crossbows like other rogues would (and, again, they have better melee survivability from rage+health)
They also can't really use any feats like GWM or PAM so they're stuck with either rapier+shield or two shortswords. Though I guess you might want to get dual wielder if you really have nothing better to get. Stat-up would be better though.

Barbarogues are effective and actually have reason to use TWF at all levels whereas any other class doesn't have any reason to use TWF except 'for flavour'. Maybe an exception for bladesinger wizards and one other thing I can't remember though, but those aren't proper mele combatants.
>>
>>53395962
What part is underwhelming? The martial bit or the casting bit?
>>
>>53395881
Well anyone who doesn't get a Fighting Style but has a way to make more then one attack per round.

Stone Sorcerer's can be holding two swords and use different ones when they Quicken/Twin Booming Blade or refluff Green-Flame Blade to be you attacking with two weapons.
>>
>>53395962
Make your Mechanical Servant a gorilla, hollow it out, and wear it as power armor.
>>
>>53395904
Whoops, realized I thought you were responding to the other post
thought this was the 'who is good at TWF' post

Basically, yes, barbarogue does more damage featless and is also better at other things.
>>
>>53395962
it's main problem is its spell selection. It has an awesome ability tied to it's spells and no decent spell to use with it.
>>
File: 1495566110043.png (254KB, 665x608px) Image search: [Google]
1495566110043.png
254KB, 665x608px
Is it impossible to find players that aren't autistic in one way or another?
>>
>>53396090
can you do that?
>>
>>53396136
I was going to say no, because I exist, but then I thought about it.

Yes.
>>
>>53396136
yes it is. find compatible autism.
>>
>>53396136
Everyone has a little touch of the 'tism.
>>
>>53395727
There are only so many things you can do with an action and it more often lends characters versatility than anything. It will still boost their power significantly but I guess I come from a perspective of a GM who makes class-based enemies, so they would be fighting similarly powered enemies anyways. To be fair I was never concerned with endangering the characters as a priority above all else - it's not hard to do at all regardless of their power level, and the "challenge" isn't where the enjoyment of the game comes from, it's from creating a story, and if that involves the players being a little too badass then so be it, I guess we're making an anime. Players definitely prefer that to being beaten down.

And character power already progresses faster than what makes sense, but keep in mind that I'd only ever suggest the partial gestalt. A full gestalt would be cancer. A level 6 character with another class' level 3 abilities isn't that bad.

>>53395763
The comment about level 11 abilities was more offhanded than anything, I genuinely think that 5e characters would be better with a little more variety/complexity to them, and I think it's a better experience to play with low level gestalts than high level characters under standard rules. High level DnD is a little weird.

>eevrybody's forced to multiclass (Reducing options?) and has higher levels
Forced multiclass would actually make for an interesting game, if that were the case, but I don't understand why you'd think that a higher level multiclass game is that much better than a lower leveled gestalt game. It almost seems like there's something people find instinctually offensive or heretical about the concept of gestalt but it's not actually that threatening. I played in a 3.5 full level gestalt game that went to level 9. It wasn't that bad and the GM had as much fun as we did, especially in throwing all his gestalted bad guys at us. It may have been our best campaign as a group.
>>
File: votomsdiorama.jpg (265KB, 900x1071px) Image search: [Google]
votomsdiorama.jpg
265KB, 900x1071px
>>53396142
This is D&D; you can do anything you can fool your DM into agreeing with.
>>
File: Barbaroguecomparisons.png (31KB, 1235x238px) Image search: [Google]
Barbaroguecomparisons.png
31KB, 1235x238px
>>53395904
>>53396094
Just remembered I made this already.
>>
>>53396122
Then maybe more spell selection?
>>
>>53396233
I personally think that would go a long way into making the class better. Certainly more transmutation and possibly abjuration spells
>>
>>53396136
It's actually a prequisite for this hobby.
>>
Any good Moonbow builds?
>>
im running COS... i need to maybe put in some themes related to vampires but the kind of stuff that are subtle and relevant to people who like vampires from good books and movies. Not the usual stuff that immediately comes to mind when you say vampires. Symbols ? Ideas etc. Ideas ?
>>
>>53396186
>High level DnD is a little weird
Only with certain spells being abused. If you stop high level spell abuse, it's fine.
You'll still have wizard/bards with high level spell slots. Or sorcerer/paladins with a load of fuck to smite with. They might not be able to cast high level spells, but they can use those spell slots.

The difference between a high level multiclass game and a lower leveled gestalt game is normal multiclass is more balanced and if you include non-multiclasses as well it has more variety.

If everybody is forced to multiclass via gestalt rules, there will be certain builds that won't work at all and they'll just be regular guys and some that easily outshine others such as sorcerer/paladin or sorcerer/warlock or barbarian/rogue or warlock/paladin or whatever.

If players are nice and try and avoid them, there'll still be some imbalance anyway, probably. If players aren't nice and min-max a bit, it'll be horrendously imbalanced if not everybody min-maxes.

Non-multiclasses are easier for less experienced players to understand and build properly and they can live alongside some of the good multiclasses which the more experienced players can do.

If you want more variety, I'd personally say 'give everybody a super-custom-feat at level 1 that can completely change how their character plays' i.e. wizard slots drain max HP but infinite spell slots. Of course, this requires your DM to have a good sense of balance and good 5e knowledge.
>>
>>53396256
>>53396233
What it should really have is Half-Caster list. Throw on some unique spells, add a little more and then they're fine.

Probably don't need damage spells with both subclasses dealing consistently alright damage, but they should have some more combat stuff.
>>
>>53396233
>>53396256
Here's a full-caster version if you'd like. Unfortunately, I don't think a half caster version exists.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vo3k9ltplojh3c/Class%20-%20Artificer%20Full%20Class%20v3.4.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>53396430
Hey thanks, this is good.
I still prefer it half caster like. I like the Artificer UA with gunsmith, it just needs a little more zazz
>>
What are all the ways to spam Nets in combat without suffering disadvantage?
>>
>>53396491
You could try to just refluff some of the spells as being more "artificer" in nature I guess. But that's about all you can do with it as it sits.
>>
>>53396394
>The difference between a high level multiclass game and a lower leveled gestalt game is normal multiclass is more balanced and if you include non-multiclasses as well it has more variety
You know this isn't a fair statement, and the presence of characters that are less varied does not make the game more varied.

>If everybody is forced to multiclass via gestalt rules
Why use the word "force"? It's just a premise for a game, if people didn't want to do it then it wouldn't happen. There's nothing more forceful about it than anything else you'd include in a game outline.

>there will be certain builds that won't work at all and they'll just be regular guys
What do you mean? How would you lose power from the inclusion of more abilities?

>some that easily outshine others
>If players aren't nice and min-max a bit, it'll be horrendously imbalanced if not everybody min-maxes
This is an argument about character build choices and the nature of players involved, it's not about gestalt itself. If players want to powergame they will outshine the players that don't, such is the way of things. That's why we play with people we know, trust, and like.

>Non-multiclasses are easier for less experienced players to understand and build properly and they can live alongside some of the good multiclasses which the more experienced players can do.
Well yeah, I wouldn't play a gestalt game with people new to 5e. Again this isn't a direct argument against the merits of gestalting, it's just hypothetical consequences in specific scenarios as you would be able to come up with for anything else.

>If you want more variety, I'd personally say 'give everybody a super-custom-feat at level 1 that can completely change how their character plays' i.e. wizard slots drain max HP but infinite spell slots. Of course, this requires your DM to have a good sense of balance and good 5e knowledge.

I'd still have more faith in gestalt than homebrewed powers.
>>
For an unarmored Barbarian, should I go two handed or shield + one handed weapon? I'm thinking two handed, maximize that damage.
>>
Bow anon here I was thinking of something that could blind the enemy if they fail a save. Only like once a short rest?
>>
>>53396588
Two handed. I learnt in /tg/ that with barbarian you tank with HP, not with AC. So go two handed
>>
>>53396639
Thanks, will do. Definitely fits the theme better too, it sounds odd for Barbarian to use a shield.
>>
>>53396639
>not playing a Shieldmaster Barbarian who can make every save, and even those he fails he takes half damage from
There is no such thing as TOO tanky
>>
Curse of Strahd starting soon.
Want to play a Belmont. Pantless man in leather banana hammock with a Conan haircut and a whip.
Barbarian? Ranger? Thief Rogue? Some combination? He's got to fuck up Undead and be able to throw shit.
>>
File: IMG_1448.jpg (284KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1448.jpg
284KB, 755x1057px
New DM here. I need some advice on how far I should let my players multiclass. Somebody told me the official optional rules only expect you to multiclass using published 1st party material - not anything from UAs or third party. Is that true?
>>
>>53396569
>This is an argument about character build choices and the nature of players involved, it's not about gestalt itself
The issue is they don't even have to try, about 30% of options will be much, much stronger then all the rest with no effort. Just following the rules.

It becomes horribly unbalanced.
>>
File: Bugbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>53396711
Pick bugbear as your race.
>>
>>53393531
>standard array

Stopped reading.
>>
>>53396674
>advantage on Dex saves
>shield AC to Dex saves
>save and reaction to take no damage; fail and take half damage anyway
Scary.
>>
Triton or Merfolk?
>>
>>53396666
anyways your quads have decided
>>
>>53396674
>>53396774
DMs ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
File: 1481959538479.gif (495KB, 618x648px) Image search: [Google]
1481959538479.gif
495KB, 618x648px
>When your character survives the super tough boss battle and dies to unlucky rolls in a minor environmental hazard in the next room
>>
>>53396666
But Conan was a Rogue/Barb who used a shield all the time.
>>
>>53396842
>you also took Resilient (Wis)
The only tough choice is being a Bearbarian for resistance to everything while raging or Zealot Barb so you can just come back from the dead forever, never die to begin with, and tell the DM that no, you feel like making that save no matter what you rolled.
>>
Does Lawful (or Chaotic) mean

a) strict adherence (or not) to the laws of the land specifically, the judicial laws of whatever kingdom or government you're originally from or find yourself in, or

b) strict adherence (or not) to any unique code or codes of conduct, whether that be laws of the land, rules of an organization, tenets of a religion, or just a personal creed, i.e. how principled is the person?

I ask because I believe in B while my DM believes in A. I argue that "law of the land" is far too restrictive, makes otherwise 100% principled and reliable characters closer to "chaotic" than they should be, and makes "lawful evil" all but impossible outside of sleazy lawyers or something. My DM argues that "any code at all" is too loose, allows anyone to be "lawful" when it should be recognized in-world as an esteemed position, and that "personal creeds" are too simple to be used as justification for a "lawful" alignment.

I know that semantic squabbles about alignment is one of the worst things about DND but I want to know what ya'll think.
>>
Is GWM or Sentinel more important for the tunnel fighter + PAM build? Is it worth getting all 3 feats or should I only go for 2?
>>
>>53396774
Not that it matters much but the shield Dex save bonus only works on spells that target only you. Most Dex save spells are AoE I think.
>>
>>53396885
B.
>>
>>53396674
>>53396774
Shield Master's reaction is no damage on a successful save. On a failure, you still take full damage.
>>
>>53396932
What is Bear Totem?
>>
>>53396932
Bearbarian Rage.
>>
>DM is letting me use Shape Water to create a permanent frozen fish bowl to carry a pet fish in
I am very pleased with today's session.
>>
>>53396954
sounds like a terrible campaign
>>
>>53396954
That sounds awful, everyone there should be shot.
>>
>>53396979
Bit rude.
>>
>>53396885
A is dumb and so is your DM. You could make an argument for it having to be a code shared by a community (like the mob) but personally i'd say a personal code works.

For a PC, especially if you're playing an evil character you should probably write down that code though.
>>
>>53396949
>>53396950
Oh, silly me, that's right.
>>53396906
About this, there ain't really a lot of single target Dex saves, are there? I can think of a few cantrips (which NPCs 99% will not use) and Immolation.
>>
>>53396885
I think that semantic squabbles about alignment is one of the worst things about DND.

Well, fine. I personally think that being lawful is about believing in the benefits of organized society and willingness to be a part of it. Or being aligned with the universal forces of law, whatever.
>>
>>53396711
Bugbear Pally is best build for whips for that long range smite. Then it'd probably be Barbarogue. Just you gotta go bug bear.
>>
>>53396898
Sentinel is more important.

AOOs out of the ass and imobilizing enemies is all what it's about,
>>
>>53396734
Yes
>>
>>53397015
>About this, there ain't really a lot of single target Dex saves, are there? I can think of a few cantrips (which NPCs 99% will not use) and Immolat
Well there's always the fact that as a Barbarian at least a few times someone will throw an AoE that targets only you.

Also the fact it works for traps and shit is pretty good.
>>
File: 1476566837006.jpg (66KB, 672x712px) Image search: [Google]
1476566837006.jpg
66KB, 672x712px
>>53396979
>implying
Just because you're a piece of shit doesn't mean you should put down others. His DM sounds like a bro who wants his players to enjoy the game.
>>
>>53396996
Welcome to 4chan. Did you get your complimentary Alaskan Pipeline?
>>
>>53393344
Does anyone have any of the out of the Abyss DM Guides which are available on DMs Guild? How are they?

Has anyone here run OotA? Any pointers for running it?
>>
>>53397041
Okay thanks

I am also wondering, would it be better to go Eldritch Knight for Booming Blade, or go Battle Master for some other weird damage shenanigans with superiority die?
>>
>>53397114
>I do le greentext thing! Sir Bearington! Dragon wrestling! Crit failures LOL!!
Hang yourself.
>>
How do you decide which character to play when you're afflicted with decision paralysis?
>>
>>53397224
Wow, dude. Who shit in your oaties this morning?
>>
>>53397240
Flip a coin, either you'll realize which one you want more as it's in the air or it chooses for you.
>>
>>53397240
If only there were some small item that when rolled would present the roller with a random result.
>>
>>53397208
You got it wrong about EK.

EK is used for ''Shield'' and ''Absorb Elements'' which you will need to tank.

Booming blade only works with the ''Warcaster'' feat if you want to use it with AOO-s.
>>
>>53397240
the one with the most diversity, or the one you can RP best
>>
>>53397281
Ah okay, thanks. Guess I will go battlemaster then.
>>
>>53396734
Depends on how experienced a DM you are. If you're suitably experienced, you should allow everything but say 'anything purposefully gamebreaking isn't allowed, especially with UA content abuse'. There's not a lot of things you need to keep an eye out for, I guess, but it's still a bit much to list it all.
>>
>>53397265
Degens like you (who don't know how to run or play) taint any campaign you touch and by extension this whole game.
>>
Playing an Investigator--ass Diviner for an upcoming one-shot sometime soon, first time putting my wizard robes on.

Level 5, I'm taking Hypnotic Pattern as my first level 3 spell. What should the other one be?
Fly, Haste, Slow, Counterspell? Tiny Hut sounds good as well, but I can't decide.
>>
>>53397393
Slow is THE control spell.
>>
>>53395674

Barbs should want max Str/Con eventually but past that it depends on what you wanna do. A GWM user can add in a Resilient Wis to help make him much tougher. The GWM PAM SENTINEL line works good if you are willing to invest in them. Mobile Alert and Lucky are also solid
>>
File: Scrap Kobold.jpg (360KB, 978x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Scrap Kobold.jpg
360KB, 978x1000px
Anyone have any fun urban encounters or ideas? My players are going to go to a Church to try and find the second half of a broken magic item, and they found a note from Bandits saying it's somewhere in their Homestead City. I'm thinking of sending them to the sewers to find it, but besides something like roaming sewer monsters I'm kinda strapped for ideas. I'm although thinking maybe theirs a benign Kobold infestation deeper in the sewers, but I have no idea for specific encounters or map layouts. I'm trying to think of more unique combat environments and tools they can use.
>>
>there's no one-handed Reach weapon except for the whip, which only does 1d4
This is horse shit.
still gonna play a desert herald barbarian with sentinel
>>
>>53397366
I'd flip the statement to you; what gives you the right to decide how others have their fun? Just because some anon says that he got a fish in game, you seem so upset; why does him and his group playing in a way that's fun for them hurt you, or the game as a whole? Is it because he's not trying to game the system, min/maxing all his stats? Being able to figure out the way to optimize his action economy?
You tell me, please. What is so wrong about this whole situation that you aren't even apart of? How is this anon playing the game wrong?
>>
File: otyugh.jpg (170KB, 1680x1234px) Image search: [Google]
otyugh.jpg
170KB, 1680x1234px
>>53397528
If you think of sewers and the first thing you come up with isn't an otyugh, think again.

It eats shit. It could have iten the item. The stench around it is literally suffocating. The fermentation fumes are explosive, so any fire source is a risk of party being buried in collapsing sewers. The otyugh could be an ancient massive one, and they'd be walking on him or into him without being aware of it at first.
>>
>>53397528
>I can't think of anything interesting to do with the sewers
Nigger, are you serious? Sewers are THE location for all kinds of urban monstrosities to gather. Wererats creeping in the dark? Usually. Creepy cults and secret societies hiding their plots from the folk above? Absolutely. Hives of scum and villainly, a court of miracles, a literal underworld where criminals are the law? Yes, please. Vampires? Rare, but Oblivion did it.
>>
Does action surge give me an additional bonus action too?
>>
>>53397614
If I remember correctly no, just an additional action.
>>
>>53397614
No.
>>
>>53397614
Yeah. Action and Bonus action.

>>53397437
It sounds great, but my save DC is low so I'd be worried about the constant rerolls to resist, whereas Hypnotic Pattern is guaranteed to work for the duration on a target as long as you got a decent Portent Roll.
>>
>>53397592
They're only level 4 so they might get annihilated by this thing, but I'll consider it as the last boss guarding the treasure.

>>53397609
Yeah hidden cults and communities could be fun, I just have to come up with them. Probably gonna have them use the Otyugh as a guard dog deeper in their lair. There's a large amount of Fey in the area so it'll probably be a Hag Coven and their servants.
>>
>>53396880

Zealot is kinda shitty compared to Totem Storm and Ancestor though
>>
File: Leeroy.jpg (86KB, 550x768px) Image search: [Google]
Leeroy.jpg
86KB, 550x768px
>>53397786
>At 3rd level, your soul is marked for endless battle. If a spell would have the sole effect of restoring you to life (but not undeath), the caster does not need material components to cast the spell on you.
>>
>>53394838
>>53394913
Manlets need all the help they can get.
>>
So I noticed something strange looking at the Inheritor background... in the equipment section it literally says:

>any items with which you are proficient

Does this mean you could just load up with plate mail and a greatsword because lol muh background? Seems busted as fuck for something that's even AL legal.
>>
>>53396954
Petty good.
>>
How is Fighter (Samurai)/Barb as a multiclass? What about Samurai/Ranger?
>>
>>53398062
http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-sword-coast-adventurers-guide-and-you/
>Also, under “equipment” substitute the phrase “any items with which you are proficient” for “any one gaming set or musical instrument with which you are proficient”.
I guess they patched it for AL.

In any case, I suppose you would have to convince your DM to let you have your toys.
>>
>>53397181
I haven't checked his OotA Guide yet because I haven't run the adventure, but this guy's site is amazing and has helped me more than I can tell: http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html
>>
>>53398229
Ah, good find.

I picked Inheritor to make a Lizardman Barbarian who inherited a (supposedly) magical egg, but when I read that line I did a triple take.
>>
Have any of you had a DM that seems to favor another player?
Maybe I'm just looking into it to much, but this player never seems to have anything bad happen to them, unless they do something really stupid. Over the 3 years I've played with them, they've never had an 'oh shit I'm about to die moment, and the majority of combats they won't even be targeted
>>
>>53397849
Does that mean even True Resurrection is free for the barbarian?
Makes me imagine a dead warrior laying on an altar with priest resurrecting him to fight against evil. And in the afterlife a large man is laughing as he runs from angelic servants trying to stop him, but he just keeps running and laughing "gotta go, fighting to be done".
I know it doesn't really work like that but I love the mental image.
>>
>>53398320
It should be free. I remember someone brainstorming a story about a mausoleum full of zealot warriors ready to be resurrected every few hundred years to fight evil, which sounds pretty cool.

The priest still needs to be high enough level to cast the spell though, which might be a limit how easily you could pull off that scenario.
>>
>>53398320
Don't see why not, though that does say it does stuff like cures diseases and curses so maybe not.

>BBEG is a Cleric of an evil god looking for a certain long-dead Zealot army to ressurect, Terra Cotta Army style
>>
>>53398320
All it takes is the spell slot to my knowledge.

Also personally I see it more Valhalla style and randomly a Valkyrie will wonder up and hand them a note or whisper in their ear. They get a big shit eating grin and race off to cross back into the mortal realm.
>>
>>53393554

>whining about brown qt 3.14s

K.
>>
>>53397786
Considering a Frenzying Barbarian's basically the standard for good damage, it does a way more or a bit less depending on how many enemies there are.

Plus it will never fail to inflict it's aura damage and it frees up the bonus action for PAM or GWM.

I'm pretty sure it's the top damage dealing Barbarian.
>>
Are there any official weapon types besides the ones in the phb? I'm gonna dual wield on my deep stalker but being Dex based if I want anything above a d6 I'm stuck with rapiers
>>
I was considering making a Zealot based off Father Mozgus.
>Placid and rather friendly/polite up until combat starts, when they go from 0 to 999% mad in a split second
>>
Does this seem balanced?

>Feat
>Martial Initiate
>You gain proficiency with one martial weapon or shields and learn one fighting style from the Fighter list
>>
>>53398320
That's exactly what it means. Now think about the repercussions of these guys existing in a culture.
>oh no we're under siege by ___________
>time to go down into the crypt and reawaken our millennia-old badasses
>giant pile of severed limbs turns into 50 screaming, naked barbarians spewing holy light out of every orifice
>>
What is your guys opinion on Beyond Damage Dice?

Looking to make martials a bit more like 4e
>>
>>53398683
I have idea what that is, explain.
>>
>>53398691
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/Third%20party/Kobold%20Press/Beyond%20Damage%20Dice.pdf>>53398691

Im not sure how I feel about it, but its cool in concept.
>>
>>53398632
I don't think it's broken. Who are you making it for? I think rogues might appreciate archery, but they have better feats they most likely want to pick first.
>>
>>53398573
You can always refluff. Most DMs wouldn't have an issue with giving you a d8 slashing, one handed finesse weapon (broadsword? scythe?) or whatever.

>>53398632
Probably a bad idea. feats are too easy to pick along the way to give a fighting style willy nilly. Plus it should at least have some prerequisite if it's giving away proficiency with shields, like Moderately Armored.
>>
>>53398703
Well unfortunately I'm on my phone and it won't load at the moment. Second however is it's Kobold's Press who are notorious for not knowing how to make shit for 5e. Mostly because they and everyone else is used to 3.x and build it as if they are the same.

I'll try and check it out, but based on the creator I'd go with something else.
>>
What's a good title for a church spy? "Inquisitor" could work but I feel that's more for the openly church-affiliated types.

As of now I'm just going with the tired and true "Agent", or a military rank like Leutenant or Intelligence Officer.
>>
I want to make a Path of the Storm Herald Barbarian but I can't find any good character art for her. Going with sea as my storm environment. Everything is either pirates, merfolk, or male characters. Anyone have anything good for this? Or a site dedicated to character art?
>>
>>53398836
Observer? Nightwatch? Throne of Lies seems like a fun game
>>
>>53398836
"Watcher"?
>>
File: example.png (2MB, 967x883px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
2MB, 967x883px
>>53398832
Oh, really? I guess a lot of their Tome of Beasts shit was either hyper disgusting or not very good.

Anywhere, here is an example. Doesn't seem offensively bad or anything, however I'm no game designer.
>>
>>53398836
Could go with something odd ball like The Missionary

>>53398862
Could always try the local draw thread, the sometimes will fill a request you make for character art. Depending on if they want to draw it or not.
>>
>>53398676
True resurrection has a 200 year time limit, and it's a 9 level spell. Can't be that bad.
>>
>>53398836
>Alms
>Choirs
>Opus
>Meggidos
>Mantras
>Nephs
>>
File: Overseer.jpg (624KB, 1125x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Overseer.jpg
624KB, 1125x1136px
>>53398836
*blocks your powers*
>>
>>53398836
Emissary would work pretty well.
>>
>>53398909
They get rezzed every 199 years, obviously.
>>
>>53398940
Not the anon we're responding to, but I have no idea how this didn't cross my mind. Overseer is a great suggestion.
>>
>>53398836
PREACHER OF LIES
>>
>>53398883
Honestly it doesn't seem terrible, it would definitely add some variety to combat and give martials some more options. The main thing to keep an eye on is it using stuff like bonus action or reactions, especially on classes that would use it but already have plenty to use those for.

The other thing is the potential abuse for getting advantage, since it only uses an attack you could continuously draw for first attack, get advantage, attack then use free action to resheath and do it again later. This can be abused by rogues and such for sneak attack.
>>
I'm reflavoring kobolds to be more like slippery ratfolk-like creatures. PC stats in Volo's Guide seem fine other than Grovel, Cower, and Beg. Anyone have any ideas for an alternate short rest power it could be replaced with?
>>
I'll be honest, I have no fucking clue what "gestalt" is refering to here
>>
File: Shitty Variant Races.png (32KB, 881x598px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty Variant Races.png
32KB, 881x598px
????
>>
>>53399107
Multiclassing, gestalt itself is a psychology term I think.
"The whole is other/greater than the sum of the parts" is the gist of it.
>>
>>53399136
>free feat + darkvision or any other useful trait
nahfam
>>
>>53399136
>not having common at all
Completely unplayable.
>>
>>53399136
This actually reminds me of an idea my group came up with, let each race have a floating +2 and +1. That way people aren't worrying about being optimized because it makes it so any race can fit without "sacrificing".
>>
>>53399166
But unlike human you don't get a proficiency and you don't get to pick where both of your stats go.

And it's not free, you're defo paying for it by removing most of the race's abilities. That shit aint free.
>>
>>53399136
If everyone gets a free feat, darkvision, a racial feature and an extra language what fucking reason is left for ever playing a human, variant or not, unless you're deliberately trying to make a character who's weak as piss?
>>
>>53399213
You get a proficiency.
>>
>DM casually mentions he is sick of some players power gaming.
>Tell him next campaign I will pick race and class, then roll for stats.
Fast forward a few months
>Session 0 for SKT, Show up a bit late
>Find out that some of the PCs have powergamed a bit. One has passive perception of 20 at level 1
>DM asks if I am going to fulfill my promise
>See there is no caster in the group, choose Kobold Sorcerer
>Roll 16, 12, 11, 9, 9, 8

How fucked am I?
>>
>>53399208
>>53399224
Oh man that's right, I forgot about the proficiency. You should give them another feat so they can compete with humans to be honest
>>
>>53399238
>Full caster
>16 in your main stat
You'll be fine. Just don't pick spells that require attack rolls.
>>
>>53398836

"Shepherds of the flock"

Or in that theme, "Sheep dogs", "wolf hounds", "blpodhounds of the Lord".

Body parts for an Osiris-like faith: the eyes, the hand, the feather (as in the weight of an untainted soul).
>>
>>53399238
Not massively but really your DM sounds like a dick.

Why doesn't everybody just pick a class that does well no matter how they roll like moon druid or a class that works well for multiclassing if you roll badly or what? Even in this utterly stupid case where you could end up playing an utterly useless monk, it sounds like you could powergame it quite thoroughly.
>>
>>53398883
The longsword parry is disproportionately strong.

Rolling to block or negate an attack is extremely strong by its own right, but an attack with ADVANTAGE?
>>
>>53399308
>using your longsword in versatile grip all the time
>>
What type of game do you think 5E handles best?
Or to put it another way what assumptions does 5E make as a system?
>>
>>53399348
That no one plays ~past level 11
>>
>>53399348
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's been working very well for my hexmap-dungeoncrawl-mercenary campaign so far.
>>
So; I'll be GMing Out of the Abyss soon, and I'm making "Madness Cards" to use instead of rolling on the table. Same basic idea, but I'll have them draw from the appropriate deck instead of rolling on the table.

Anyways:
>I'm looking for some help coming up with more interesting cards to add to the "Indefinite Madness" deck.
Anybody able to give me few more ideas?
>>
>>53399348
One where nobody in the world is exceptionally good at a skill.
>>
I really want to play through one of the premade adventures. Which one would you guys recommend?
>>
>>53399348
More old-schoolish with improvisation in and out of combat and a decent amount of roleplay.
Yet despite all of that you're still expected to fight one group of enemies every two hours.

>>53399433
If you use 'you can't roll unless you actually have a decent score in this' or 'multiple skill checks are used for things like forging a fsword' then this is less of a problem.
>>
What are some must have encounters in the shadowfell?
>>
>>53399442
Phandelver is good, I've tried Storm king's thunder but I didn't like it
>>
>>53399442
Curse of Strahd is best.
>>
>>53399238
>rolling for stats
>expecting players not to try and powergame
>>
>>53399476
New thread is up.
>>
>>53399462
How much of the generic lore should I use? What does a setting need lore wise to work with DnD?
>>
>>53398787
Moderately Armored already gives you shield proficiency.
>>
>>53399462
>If you use 'you can't roll unless you actually have a decent score in this' or 'multiple skill checks are used for things like forging a sword' then this is less of a problem.

It certainly minimizes the effect of "And once again, Steve looks like an idiot."

But it means that level 20 characters are (where skills are concerned) still *very* mundane.

No high level acrobatics checks to run on water or other over the top applications of skills.
>>
>>53399486
>rolling for stats
>expecting players not to try and powergame
Arrays are the best option.
>>
>>53399580
Why not point buy?
>>
>>53399347
You sure as shit would be if it was giving you advantage to oppose attack rolls
>>
>>53399601
Point buy or array are best imo. Unless you're having fun in a one-shot type thing where it won't matter much. Because if that's the case who gives a shit about power levels.
>>
>>53399308
Uses your reaction which will prevent you from making an OA and it also only works on one attack roll, it's good levels 1-3 but after that you're getting into real fights where it won't be the best option everytime.

>>53398683
My DM uses it and we're having a blast, it adds enough variety that there's more weapons used then Longsword, Glaive, Greatsword and Rapier.

We made some changes so that Lances require you to be mounted, you can't use the Trick Shot on bows if you already have Disadvantage and Arcing Slash with Greatswords splits GWM damage to +5 to both targets.

I much prefer it then without and I'd say it's one of the better Kobold Press options.

>>53398991
You can already use one attack to shove someone and then an attack to hit with advantage. Plus Rogues would need to multiclass 5 level for Extra Attack.
>>
>>53399752
Or I could just have 2-3 more AC
>>
>>53399000
Get Advantage on all attacks they make against a target until end of turn.
>>
>>53399797
If you're fighting an enemy of equal power, you're generally rolling higher than their AC, as are they.
Opposing his attack with an attack roll is strictly better.

Opposing his attack with an attack roll with advantage is are you fucking stupid
>>
>>53399865
>the enemy is rolling 21-22 all the time
nah
>>
>>53399865
Most enemies scale by multiattack, have Ranged Attacks, force you to make Saving Throws or there will be more then one enemy attacking you.

Keep in mind that enemies should be using the same abilities against you.

As far as I can tell the supplement's meant to be giving martials more options and a minor buff against certain kinds of enemies. The rest of the time it'll balance out because they can use the exact same tricks.
>>
>>53399911
22 ac

versus 19 ac and being able to roll against every attack with advantage

22 ac

versus 19 ac and the ability to roll against every attack with advantage

can someone please do the math for this guy? I'm busy with netflix

>>53399948
right I'm only saying it's a much stronger ability than the others offered and it's a little too good to give up in mechanical terms
>>
>>53400128
You've looked at other abilities in the thing or just that page? Keep in mind Longswords can't be using GWM or PAM, STR is weaker then DEX in core anyway and other weapons have use.

So now Longswords are a good option for a defensive character, what's the complaint? They only have one reaction and it's a rather precious commodity on front line characters.

Attacking at d10 with no feats to support your style is probably not worth the trade.
>>
>>53399601
IMO PB allows for too much minmaxing. Arrays mean the DM can build a couple of arrays, and let the players choose their preference.
>>
>>53400484
It really depends on your players, if I can trust them I would prefer to go point buy but I can't always trust them
>>
>>53396186
>GM who makes class-based enemies,
That explains a lot, but I think if the PCs don't seem versatile enough, you should loosen up on how you run ability checks. You're probably putting them through a lot of the worst parts of 3.x skills instead of adapting to 5e's or more modern standards.
>>
>>53396517
Crossbow expert. Sharpshooter. Help. Hide. Invisibility. Various conditions on the enemy.
>>
>>53397020
This.

I think being lawful means you follow a code and think everyone else should (to a certain force of should) follow it too.
>>
>>53396885
why are you guys even arguing about this

tell your dm to look in the damn phb

>>53396885
>b) strict adherence (or not) to any unique code or codes of conduct, whether that be laws of the land, rules of an organization, tenets of a religion, or just a personal creed, i.e. how principled is the person?

>Lawful neutraI (LN) individuals act in accordance with law, tradition, or personal codes. Many monks and some wizards are lawful neutral.
>>
>>53397059
Beholder rays and disintegrate.
>>53397614
No.
>>53397626
>>53397627
Right.
>>53397673
Fuck you buddy.

And Hypno Pattern can be ended early at the cost of an action or damage, and should be ended early in any fair tactical plan. Still great though. Slow is also great, but it's a little redundant to have both.
>>
>>53399107
Gestalt in d&d is when you take a character and give them some or all of the abilities of more than one class of their level. Usually they get the better of any overlapping abilities instead of adding them together. Like HP or proficiency bonus. Similar to multiclassing.
>>
>>53399238
Hopefully you can make your DM sick of not-Powergaming, so you never have to do that again. Also, die young.

Your best combat options will be melee and thrown, and try to use nonsave spells like sleep, magic missile, and buffs. Lots of buffs.
>>
How similar are 5e's tabaxi to the catfolk of previous editions?
>>
>>53399948
Many of the tricks aren't even useful. I don't see anything OP so far. The worst that'll happen is everyone gravitating to the weapons that don't suck, which is nothing new.

I do think the CQC short sword thing is more dagger appropriate, but it might be on both for all I know. Not reading the whole thing.
>>
>>53401174
Why though?
>>
>>53401414
For when you have to have a cleric and you have to have a thief but you only have two players and you don't want them to run multiple characters. Otherwise, powergamers, munchkins, retards, and "muh story" gamers do it for reasons I can neither fathom nor explain.
>>
>>53401484
I mean. I guess it could be fun, if you really wanted to, and the DM let EVERYONE be a two-in-one?
>>
>>53400777
>GM who makes class-based enemies
Is there an issue? They're generally more interesting for anyone who makes the faintest interest in story.

>you should loosen up on how you run ability checks
No, I don't mean versatility in terms of being able to roll high for different things. I mean versatility in terms of having a variety of abilities and options, and being complex in profile.
Thread posts: 390
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.