[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a home-brew set in the pseudo-future, and I had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (6KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 268x188px
I'm making a home-brew set in the pseudo-future, and I had a problem: Tracking money, expenses, inflation, specific costs of different locations, stocks, etc. is tedious as fucking hell, and often just ignored or hand waved.

I wanted to make a system that was both more useful and easier to manage:

Acquisition represents your character's ability to have "things". Making deals, getting licences, trading stocks, obtaining contacts, moving products, all are a part of acquisition. "Soft Acquisition" is a skill, like "shooting a gun" or "hiding". And therefore you can get better at it. It represents a constant continual flow of funds required to obtain certain things. "Hard Acquisition" is represented by you finding a temporary windfall of resources, such as a crate of gold. You can spend this for certain temporary purchases, which deplete it.

For example: a High lifestyle standard would cost 10 acquisition, an assault rifle costs 4, the mods for your rifle cost 1 and your body armor costs 2. In total, to have all of those things available to you and "equipped", they will use up 17 acquisition. This represents the stuff you buy to repair your gun, patch holes in your armor, adjust your mods, and how much you are paying for expensive prostitutes and fine meals and clothing.

Consumable items like grenades, ammo, etc are just a part of acquisition, and are automatically restocked over a certain time period (1 week?). The same with food, body armor repairs, software licence updates

Depending on the location, the local currency, etc, certain things would cost more or less. California would have weapons cost double acquisition due to licences, cops, etc. Maybe you could only pay 1.5, but if you get caught then you get in trouble with your unlicensed RPG the cop finds in your trunk.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>53390490

I always prefer abstract wealth systems to granular ones, so it seems like you're on the right track.

Pop by the Infinity general and grab the RPG core book preview from there, have a look at its wealth system. It's somewhat similar and might give you some ideas, even if it's just 'I don't want to do it that way'.
>>
>>53390490
Look at the Rogue Trader rpg rules. Rather that discrete monetary units, the group has an economic influence level, which effects the likelihood and amount of equipment you game get. For example a low level group can reliably get all the flak armor the want, but have no way of getting a suit of power armor. A mid level group may be able to get a suit with some luck, and high level group would be able to get a suit or two whenever they need one.
>>
>>53390851
So it is based on a %chance of getting the gear you want, but if there is also gear that is just better than other gear? Interesting. How well does it hold up in play? Do people get frustrated when they have to use the bad gear?
>>
>>53390490
>I'm making a home-brew
>What do you guys think?

How many dozen individual systems have you had experience running? Before starting a homebrew project, it's recommended to have experience with at least a dozen different systems.
>>
>>53390490
Yeah, in most cases with modern or near-future games I'd suggest a more abstracted "wealth level" or what have you that sets out what sort of things are trivial to buy so you're not really worrying about them

Though I think there should also being a way of recognising large single purchases - buying something like a new car, for example

Unless you're doing a street-level sort of deal, then tracking all of the very few monies you have becomes part of the challenge.
>>
>>53390898
Dnd
>3.0
>3.5
>pathfinder
>5
Shadowrun
>4
>5
Blue Planet
>2
Gurps
>lol
World of darkness
>normal humans
>vampries
>geist
Scion
>hero
>demigod
>>
>>53390930
>then tracking all of the very few monies you have becomes part of the challenge
I've found that even in the "gang-banger punks" shadowrun games I played in, players just didn't do this. It was too much work to track bullets, grenades, candy, lifestyle, flat tire repair, etc. in any reasonable time-frame.
>>
>>53390959
Fair enough - shadowrun isn't really built for super-low end anyway really

Do agree with you on the location thing though - one example that sticks with me is when Top Gear went to Vietnam - they were given 15 million Vietnamese Dong each, which sounded like a lot, but it's actually about $1000.
And then they found that cars had up until very recently had enormous tariffs on, so even very second hand cars were well out of their price range (they got bikes, which weren't). On the other hand, they could buy bespoke tailored clothes for much less than they'd pay in the UK
>>
>>53390490
These abstract wealth systems always have loopholes and they always break down when the players figure them out...which isn't that hard.

>Consumable items like grenades, ammo, etc are just a part of acquisition, and are automatically restocked over a certain time period (1 week?).

So I can get infinite grenades? Why or why not?

How much of each thing do I get?

If I find cash in a vault, why can't I spend it? How can I convert it to "Acquisition"? At what rate?

etc. etc. fucking etc.

Don't do it, systems like this suck.
>>
>>53391623
>So I can get infinite grenades? Why or why not?
Well each grenade costs 1 ACQ to have, so if you want 10 then you need to "spend" 10 ACQ. If you throw them, then the next time you have enough time to resupply you can get 10 more, or you can spend your ACQ on something else.
>How much of each thing do I get?
Usually 1, except when specifically mentioned, such as rifle ammo.
>If I find cash in a vault, why can't I spend it? How can I convert it to "Acquisition"? At what rate?
Each place with it's own currency will have a conversion rate. "hard" ACQ represents exactly this situation. You spend your soft ACQ first, then your hard for extra goodies for the next few weeks/months.
>Don't do it, systems like this suck.
Do you know of any other systems that have something similar?
>>
>>53390883
yes, but im many instances its possible to stack the odds to 100+%. If you want to gear out with some pistols in and a shotgun, no worries. If you also want to get some dragon's breath shells for the shotgun you'd have to pass an aquisition test affected by your economic level, the population of the location you are looking to by from, as well as possible other possible factors.
>>
>>53391772

>do you know of any other systems that have something similar?

D20 Modern has almost exactly this system, with your Wealth modifier being checked against the Purchase DC of the item you want if it's more expensive than your total mod. This represents you maxing credit cards, taking title pawns, etc. If you succeed, you get the item. If you fail by a small amount, you still get the item but your Wealth declines (representing a worse credit rating, etc). A large failure and you just can't afford the item.

Any item that costs less than 10+your Wealth you can just buy as many as you'd realistically like within economic limits by "taking 10" on your Purchase roll.

Getting treasure improves your Wealth.
>>
>>53394019
That's interesting. It represents a sort of exponential scale. Some things are practically free, while others cost you a lot.
>>
>>53394075

Yeah, Purchase DC indeed follows an exponential scale. I can't remember exactly but I think every +2 to DC represents a doubling in price.

I like it because it encompasses the way modern wealth works, where being wealthier gives you passive income by simply being rich and having higher net worth unlocks lower-interest and higher-limit liquidity options.

So for a character of extreme wealth, like a billionaire, even a $100,000 supercar is practically free because just his passive wealth generates that much money in investment returns and interest in the time it takes him to physically go purchase it or order someone else to do so.

One of the very, very few things D20 Modern did right.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.