[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good rpgs that are good for people who have never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

What are some good rpgs that are good for people who have never played any sort of tabletop game?

Time period/era doesn't matter, just looking for something simple to play with a few buddies.
>>
>>53364376
Maid RPG. Silly, low-stakes adventures, good for a one-shot, and in my experience randomized (or pre-prepared) characters do a better job of forcing people to roleplay.
>>
File: 1383695206465.jpg (90KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1383695206465.jpg
90KB, 600x750px
>>53364376
D&D. Heavy autistic screeching will probably drown this reply, but D&D is a good starting point for stock fantasy.
If you're looking for specific kinds of games, like historical, horror or scifi-games, games heavy on narrative or simulation, or if you're opposed to levels and classes, you want something that's not D&D.
>>
>>53364509
Taking a look at that, thanks anon
>>
>>53364588
I've played D&D but I'm not looking for anything too rule heavy.
>>
>>53364376
Powered by the Apocylpse games like Apocalypse World, Masks, Monster Hearts, Monster of the Week, Spirit of '76, etc. seem to be great for introducing new people to the hobby.

Most of the games only really require the player to read over their character sheet to understand the rules and the "move" their character can do. Everything else can often be explained quickly by the MC. That character creation is done in a group can help too.

Also, they often focus directly on emulating a genre that people are already familiar with. Like post apocalypse stuff, 70's exploitation films, YA modern fantasy romance, etc. You aren't digging into Forgotten Realms or whatever cluster fuck setting Shadow Run has.
>>
>>53364899
*moves
>>
>>53364588
>D&D is a good starting point for stock fantasy.
I disagree. While 5e in particular positions itself as beginner-friendly--and it is, don't get me wrong--I'd argue it's not the best choice for getting people involved in role-playing because so many of the rules and features are related to combat.

It can certainly host roleplaying, but consider when they're making their characters just how much of what they're seeing is stuff directly related to combat. Most of the 1st-level class features are directly combat-related; most cantrips and recommended spells are combat-centric; a good-sized chunk of racial traits are combat abilities; and they're picking their weapons and armor and learning what that's about. They do choose their background, of course, but in terms of the whole character creation experience, it's going to point them in a very specific direction.

It's a problem I saw time and time again with 3.X that it completely warps their view of how roleplaying works. They get into a mindset of "what can I do? There's nothing on my sheet relating to this." 5e is better about this, but the problem still exists. And earlier editions (1e and 2e) are... unique. I sorta love 'em but I don't know if I'd recommend them for newbies, especially newbie GMs.

I'm not saying don't play D&D, I'm just saying "don't play D&D first".
>>
File: 31.jpg (20KB, 300x472px) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
20KB, 300x472px
>>53364622
>D&D
>Rule heavy
>>
File: pace.pdf (981KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
pace.pdf
981KB, 1x1px
What I was introduced to RPGs with was Call of Cthulu. If that's the kind of thing a player is into, I could easily see a couple adventures with the quick Start Rules working out well. Or with Cthulu Dark.

But what I've had good luck with introducing news players to RPGs with has been PACE. It's kind of a proto-FATE and made by Evil Hat itself. It works on the aspects and fate points/"pips" but without dice. Character sheets are just two descriptors of a character with attached point values. So it's all about the aspects and back and force of the point economy that drives the game but it works surprisingly well.

>>53364509
I second Maid IF they're into that or at least understand that under that under the otaku stuff it's a fundamentally a comedy game that's fueled by competition and randomness.
>>
I ran Fragged Empire as my first game with a bunch of other newbies and it went down well. Fairly crunchy but not too hard to pick up. Uses arbitrary numbers to represent things like your money and influence and combat plays a bit like a wargame so it's not too hard to work things out while you're learning.
>>
>>53365099
Oh, good point. Maid RPG is very very tongue-in-cheek, in case that doesn't come through in the rulebook ("Things you probably won't need: A maid costume. Not that you can't, but it's not necessary to play. And it might be a little creepy... If you look cute in one, feel free to send us pictures.") Probably don't include the seduction rules.
>>
>>53364941
>While 5e in particular positions itself as beginner-friendly--and it is, don't get me wrong
I wouldn't call it beginner-friendly. It's more beginner-neutral. Sure, it tries to streamline and simplify some stuff, but it's still fairly crunchy, and is rules-medium at the very least.
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>53364376
Barbarians of Lemuria is good. Rules-light, Conan-style swords and sorcery than only uses d6s.

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, shorter but not as refined) --http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
File: IMG_0991.jpg (157KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0991.jpg
157KB, 374x374px
People might frown but I played pic related first and it was pretty helpful getting into the genre. I also was a huge redwall fan and love mouse guard comics so me getting into the world was easy, but it's not rule heavy and is easy fun.
>>
>>53364588
>D&D. Heavy autistic screeching will probably drown this reply, but D&D is a good starting point for stock fantasy.
D&D is actually geared towards a very specific type of fantasy; it's just that the influence of D&D has resulted in that sort of fantasy being very prevalent. D&D's being rather niche-specific is not a good or a bad thing, it's just the way things are. If you want to play within that niche, D&D is good. If you don't really care which niche you play in, D&D can be good. If you don't want to play inside that niche though, you're better off going with something else.
>>
>>53366066
Thanks for those downloads, that looks right up the alley for these peeps, thanks anon.

>>53365099
I was also thinking about Call of Cthulhu since I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like Lovecraftian things.
>>
>>53364622
5th ed is pretty rules light. Tons of the really awful stuff from 3.5's infinite extra books have been replaced by the gm just using their judgement to say "this character has advantage/disadvantage in this situation".

If you're open on theme I'd say play (core) Chronicles of Darkness and spook your players or play Mouse Guard and try to do good before being eaten by an owl.
>>
Depending on what you want.
Ryuutama is a good starting point for a novice group.
You can also play ultra rules light games like risus or lasers and feelings. Or narrative focused games like fate accelerated or fiasco.

I would avoid rules heavy or crunchy games until the players get used to actually role play.
>>
>>53364376
Ryuutama, Beyond the Wall, Apocalypse World.

>>53364588
I would say Sword & Sorcery rather than "stock" fantasy, whatever that may be, but Mentzner/BECMI D&D is indeed a good starting point.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.