[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you ran a rollplaying game as GM entirely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: question-mark_318-52837.jpg (18KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
question-mark_318-52837.jpg
18KB, 626x626px
When was the last time you ran a rollplaying game as GM entirely off the top of your head? How did it go?
>>
If impromptu ERP count, couple weeks ago. And it went so wrong, yet so right.
If "serious" roleplay only, that would be some months, did a stand-in one-shot when GM didn't show up. I guess it was alright, because when GM didn't show up the second time they wanted me to run another.
>>
>>53361895
Story time for ERP?
>>
>>53361837
That's how I always run it
Plans always lead to railroading
Player instinct is to wreck plans
It's easier to just wing everything and build the story organically.
>>
>>53361926
Started as random teasing banter in /tg/, and escalated from there, I just played it by the ear. There was rapestrangling, verbal abuse and headpats
>>
File: 20170428145815_1.jpg (103KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20170428145815_1.jpg
103KB, 1600x900px
Ran a post-apocalyptic campaign vaguely inspired by me wandering around Garry's Mod apocalypse maps while listening to ethereal ambient music, I wanted this /x/-type world of real beauty and mystery, strange supernatural effects, rifts to other planes, but still quite generic, just not similar to any other setting out there. Also Dune-type psionics. I just kinda made this up one day, we did a "session zero" while chilling on my friend's porch making up characters. It started out in a small village on the plains built around an old radio station, about 15-20 years after the apocalypse, which was unknown origin. The ruined city lay in the distance. The characters were sent in to the ruins to get medicine from the hospital to prepare for the coming of winter. Basically, a group of bandits already lived in the hospital, led by a nineteen year old girl whose parents had been the original leaders, but had died. She had some psychic powers that made her a plot item (think Alia from Dune or River from Firefly) and thus the cult waiting for the return of their "god" (actually a super-powerful far-realm-type being) wanted her to help them make contact. The characters didn't like this much, although actions of certain characters made the story much more interesting, perhaps not in a good way.
>>
but yeah I basically improvised the entire thing. Just made it up as I went along. I only recently started putting down elements of the setting onto paper as one story arc wraps up and I prepare to launch into another.
>>
>>53361837
Anon, that's what I do every time. It's worked fine for three years.
>>
>>53361837
>>53361837

You mean zero prep?

Last month. Had a blast.

If people can't do that they probably shouldn't be playing GMs.
>>
>>53361837
A campaign or what?

I had a session where a player decided to try and murder a villager, and another player found out. Had to pull the entire session out of my ass and it was one of the definite highlights of the campaign.
>>
My usual style.

I'll give myself a general framework of some key players and places, and if I'm feeling particularly productive I'll write down a few names, but other than that it's all by the seat of my pants.

Been forever DM for 10+ years and nobody has ever had a complaint.
>>
>>53361837
I ran a game for a friend because we were bored. I just made up a low fantasy setting based on pre-Tsarist Russia where he was a Peasant farmer boy (his choice) who ended up in debt thanks to his idiot brother, got mixed up in a plot to get hold of cursed pagan artifacts at the behest of a small noble, was hunted by a creature made of an amalgamation of moths after being marked by it while alone in the woods, and killed it after recovering a cross owned by his deceased mother who had died in child birth and having a dream of an angel. He saved a girl around his age and prevented himself from being thrown out of the village, which the people were ready to do after they saw the mark while they were working in the fields. I was going to have him summoned to a young prince afterwards who would offer him better employment but we ended it there.

I thought it went pretty well for an impromtu session that ended up being more character focused than I'm used to running (a lot of talking with his sick frustrated father, scheming fool of a brother, and various villagers while normally few NPCs seem to barely have a chance to get characterization since players don't involve themselves too much with them). He seemed to enjoy it but afterwards explained that he preferred having more freedom than he did. His brother getting them into a mess was my idea after he didn't seem to know what he wanted to do with the character. When he runs games they tend to be really sand box to the point where finding direction can be difficult, but approaching that didn't fit with what his chosen role in society was so I was working on getting him out of that.

Second time running like this without stats or anything beforehand to go on, and I hope I'm getting the hang of it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.