[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working on a campaign that takes place in the Dark Ages during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 296.jpg (160KB, 960x703px) Image search: [Google]
296.jpg
160KB, 960x703px
Working on a campaign that takes place in the Dark Ages during the reign of Charlemagne and the Franks. Looking for a low-magic system since I plan to have witches and Merlin like wizards pestering the party from time to time.
>>
>>53352972
Song of Swords could work, though you'd want to have the magic be essentially rulesless as only big NPC's and villains have it by the description you've given
>>
>>53352972
Burning Wheel sounds like it could work well. It's easy to make work for a relatively mundane setting but still has options for magic if you want to introduce that stuff later.
>>
GURPS with ritual path magic is really really good for gritty medieval stuff.
>>
>>53352972
One of the AD&D 2E Historical Supplements covers Charlemagne really well.
>>
>>53353432
Which edition of GURPS though?
>>
>>53352972
Seconding >>53353432 GURPS is what you want. Basic Set + Low-Tech + RPM is more than enough to run your game. Low-Tech Companions can help you get specific details on daily life to season your game.

>>53353711
The only edition anyone plays, and the only edition with Ritual Path Magic, 4e.
>>
>>53352972
Sounds like Runequest/BRP/Barbarians of Lemuria kind of setting.
>>
File: harnmaster-full.jpg (215KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
harnmaster-full.jpg
215KB, 599x449px
>>53352972
Harnmaster, pic related. also there is CoC Dark Ages which could provide general setting material

>>53352983
There is a spiritual lineage of
>Harnmaster -> Riddle of Steel -> Song of Sword
Harnmaster has the material published for it though.
>>
File: Frankish horseman.jpg (3MB, 4200x5641px) Image search: [Google]
Frankish horseman.jpg
3MB, 4200x5641px
>>53352972
Retrieve the Sword of Roland: Durendal

Roland, a real life figure from the time of Charlemagne, held the pass against a huge influx of Saracens. The sword might have been taken from his dead body, but legend holds that he threw it to avoid its capture. Have your squad, team, or whatever you call them hear of this legendary indestructible sword with an edge so sharp is could carve paths in mountains.
>>
File: harnmaster_sheet.png (988KB, 622x896px) Image search: [Google]
harnmaster_sheet.png
988KB, 622x896px
>>53355305
to reiterate: harnmaster is d100-based. combat is quite lethal, plus you cannot just get killed, you can get maimed: amputations of arms, neck, eyes gouged, nuts kicked, etc. Furthermore, even if you survive combat, wound infections are a huge problem without magic and your character may die from it.

unlike rolemaster, you basically only use this 1 sheet with charts for combat, see if you can handle the complexity.
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>53355520
>Historical Roland
>Basically a footnote in history, all we learn is that he was related to the Breton Marsh in some way and was a nobleman who died at Roncesvalles while fighting the natives

>Legendary Roland
>Basically the best damned knight who ever fucking lived, a cousin to Charlemagne, the greatest of his 12 peers and an unmatched warrior who died fighting the Islamic hordes at Roncesvalles

This still fucks me up. It makes me wonder if future historians will read tales of Donald the Trump who singlehandedly tore the Rio Grande apart until it was less of a river and more of a strait.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.