[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 35

File: HFUN13-2.jpg (200KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
HFUN13-2.jpg
200KB, 900x636px
Halo Fleet Battles/Ground Command edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

homebrew systems are welcome

last thread

>>53229605

Thread question, with the released of the Phoenix- class support ship (the spirit of fire) the constant support for HGC and their work on DW and lately FSA is SG finally improving anons?
>>
Has anyone ever done an EVE wargame?
>>
>>53337741
I feel like the interesting part about wars in EVE is the politics, actual EVE combat is kinda dull.
>>
>>53337677
Halo Ground Command seriously needs a 28mm skirmish size.
>>
>>53337796
A tabletop wouldn't be any more boring than any other wargame.

Good unit diversity. You could stick to the computer game's archtypes and what they're usually used for (tackling, etc) and modify different ships' payloads for different situations.
>>
>>53337814
They have said that they won't because the videogame already "fills" that niche and that 15mm let's them units like the scarab which is supposed to be released in the summer (but with the delays it probably won't be ready until the fall)
>>
In regards to the SBG discussion last thread, this channel is good for beginners. Loads of battle reports and list/tactics discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBHLPodcast
>>
>>53337895
That is some upsetting news. I was dreaming of something nice with 3-4 different troop types and heroes being individual units alone.

Large vehicles are the worst part of Halo.
>>
>>53337959
The facebook group is extremely good for discussion and list talk. and people who can get to WHW are usually happy to buy and post the exclusives they have up there.
>>
>>53337814
>>53337895
>>53338132
I'd say they're right on this - 28mm's too big for more than 2-3 vehicles on the table tops, 6mm's too small to make the infantry look good, so you're looking at 10mm or 15mm, and the Spartan focus means 15mm.

Large vehicles, fuck those, but at 15mm you can get a bunch of bikes and a couple of warthogs and give them a nice big area to drive around.

Source: I way playing kinda-Halo years ago with GZG New Israelis as Spartans.
>>
>>53338377
Never been a fan of vehicles, probably why I want larger sizes and no one else does lol. Very sad but understandable.
>>
File: WP_20170517_18_08_16_Pro.jpg (603KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170517_18_08_16_Pro.jpg
603KB, 1024x576px
Let my friend to use some of my Uruk-hai as summoned Bloodthirsters. But how is the Lotr game? And what's a good Uruk-hai force look like?
>>
>>53338858
Good, the Uruk-Hai are extremely resilient. Defense 7 where most stuff have a Strength of 3.
>>
File: HGUN12-2.jpg (165KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
HGUN12-2.jpg
165KB, 900x636px
Anyone else disappointed that the first version of the Longsword and the Seraph are going to be 1/300 instead of 1/150?
>>
>>53338858
Uruk's are a very good starter force. high fight, strength defence and courage. you can afford to make mistakes with them and still win. you access to saruman, who is probably the best offensive wizard in the game for his lower cost.

in terms of composition, you'll want pikes, sword and board and crossbows lead by Vrasku. Saruman for higher points games, shamans for lower. the only big weakness it has is cavalry. you can make that up with warg riders or you could use mauhur, who is a scout captain that gives a movement boost to the scout unit he is with. good for catching an opponent off guard with.
>>
Anyone still playing Dystopian Wars? I got ahold of a ton of French ships and then moved to a gaming desert 3 years ago.

Looks like Firestorm Armada's getting a new edition.
>>
What space wargames are popular these days? Full Thrust kinda splintered into a dozen houserule systems, but I don't know of anything else that'd fit that niche well instead.
>>
>>53339163
I wish we could get a 28mm skirmish game, just want to paint some marines and ODST.
>>
>>53339238
Dropfleet Commander is doing well enough to have it's own thread, for what it's worth.
>>
>>53338858
>summoned Bloodthirsters
>Bloodthirsters
I hope you mean bloodletters
>>
>>53337833
How to properly simulate killing someone with fighter bombers while being anchored on a citadel 1000km away in perfect safety?
>>
>>53339201

Speaking of pikes, the special rules for Easterlings regarding phalanxes used to piss me the fuck off considering you only got 2 in a box of 12.

Even the recent battle report on FW's website had replaced all the swords with third party brass spears.
>>
File: HGCV12-2.jpg (168KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
HGCV12-2.jpg
168KB, 900x636px
>>53339280
Yeah, it would be cool, but Spartan Games is barely able to keep up with the load and 28mm really doesn't leave space for things like pelicans, I mean can you imagine how much cash a hunter or the warden eternal would cost on a 28mm game?
>>
In SBG, is a Mordor army viable with Morannon Orcs?
>>
File: IMAGDoubleD.jpg (993KB, 1344x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGDoubleD.jpg
993KB, 1344x1520px
>>53339235
I am, anon. Well, would be. Moved to the middle of nowhere, tried starting a community for the game in the nearest city, but for reasons, I couldn't make the journey very often, and had to leave the club early when I did.

Still got my fleet, still getting the new stuff.
>>
>>53339235
Nah, I left a good sized DW community three years ago, then mostly moved onto Infinity. Now the main Spartan game I play is Armada, which I prefer thanks to its streamlined rules compared to DW.
>>
>>53339789
Seen the new ruleset? It's not as streamlined as Firestorm, but it's a damn sight less of a clusterfuck than DW2.0
>>
>>53339771
very. most people build mordor with morannon orcs as the improved stats for just a slight increase over regular orcs is well worth taking.
>>
File: HFCV13-2.jpg (161KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
HFCV13-2.jpg
161KB, 900x636px
>>
>>53339163
>1/150
At first I was wondering why the fuck Spartan were releasing them in 6mm when they're for a 15mm game.

Then I realised they missed an opportunity to go full Spartan - you're right, 1/150 would be the perfect Spartan Games move! because that's basically 10mm, not 15mm
>>
>>53339238
Talon is a board game, and kinda limited in ships until the expansion (just not-federation & not-klingons), but it's a beautiful stripped-down fast and simple ship-on-ship or small-fleet-on-small-fleet game that has the feel of SFB with a fraction of the time and effort.

I mean, the good bits of the feel of SFB.

Shit's genius.
>>
>>53219023
>Ah, screw it. There might be some duplicates, but here's something.

>M3G4 dot EnZee
>/#F!d7Q3HaRZ!gTsKc-vYWTNa5th9EspwxQ

Quoting a post from the last PDF share thread, because holy shit, look in that SF games folder. The living rulebook to High Frontier, a boardgame I've long been interested in! OK, you could download that rulebook for free, and it's nowhere near what you need to play... but also ASAT: Orbital Combat, a spaceship wargame I've been eyeing on wargamevault for ages! Neat! Those two obscure games are cool and I'm eager to take a look at them.

Oh, and it has a couple of other games I'm sure no-one here has any interest in: attack vector: tactical, and saganami island tactical simulator
>>
>>53341672
>ASAT: Orbital Combat
This game looks neat, by the way. It also has "hundreds of obsolete mig-21s" with their engines replaced by a rocket used as super-cheap low-tech orbital interceptors by nations that can't afford actual spaceships, which is fucking hilarious. "Rather than design a vacuum-capable cannon" they just modified the existing one to barely work, slapped on a couple of missiles, and get it into orbit by mounting it on the nose of a bigger rocket booster. Presumably it reenters and lands very carefully.

Gotta say, turning the page after seeing spaceships and killsats and seeing the diagram of a fucking mig-21 made me laugh.
>>
>>53341814
the expansion has rules for nukes, torpedoes (which are unmanned fighter-sized things, one of the example fighters has a new variant that's the fighter attached to a torpedo the size and shape of the original fighter), the Itano (a fighter armed with only missiles, many many missiles), and a couple more non-spacecraft fighters upgraded into orbital fighters - the f-22 and su-53. I dunno, this game looks neat, I might print out the orbital map and give it a shot.
>>
I'm trying to start a list for the hobbit SBG, with my first order having been some hunter orcs.
What should i pick up to help turn this into a small army? At the moment I'm eyeing Fell Wargs or Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs, but Gundabad Orcs have some cool armor.
>>
>>53342184
Well, I'd say whichever you like best...but I'd go for one of the warg-y options for speed.
>>
>>53342757
I don't know the models well enough to like any particular model more than another, i am only just getting into the game. Does cavalry knockdown occur before strikes or after strikes?
>>
>>53343084
Build and paint what you've got first, and expand only after that I'd say. Then you'll know if you like painting orcs enough, or just go for wargs solely.
>>
>>53343113
I am not really in this for the hobby aspect, more than 75% of my miniatures are unpainted. Orcs and Wargs equally don't bother me since they are easier to paint and require a lower standard than the malifaux minis i own.
>>
The OP has me wondering.

What are the best games and most complete miniature ranges for Starship based wargames?

What different ranges work well together?

I've got some old Starfleet Battles miniatures from back when I use to play that in high school and I wanted to find stuff I could use alongside them maybe. But I've also been looking at Full Thrust but can't find a scan of the rules anywhere so I'm uncertain.
>>
>>53344109
Ground Zero Games make a lot of good stuff. Full Thrust's rules are available for free on their site.

Battlegroup Helios are good for not!BFG (as long as you like the Imperium)

Brigade have some older, but serviceable stuff

You can get a pack of several small (fighter-size) ships from em4 for almost nothing
>>
FiveCore or Five Parsecs From Home?

I am playing sci-fi, but would rather save the shekels.
>>
>>53344109
Firestorm Armada has a pretty sizeable range of miniatures but they're generally quite pricy and bloody huge, which means you need a massive table for big fleets. 15cm plus battleships look nice and are fun to paint but if your idea of space war is massive formations of capital ships and space semicircles, you need an 8x6 table to do it.
>>
>>53344240
>>53344302

Thanks for the suggestions, usually my idea of cool space combat is very traditionally Naval with a bunch of different races with unique ship designs. Firestorm looks cool, I'm content with starting with Squadron level engagements rather than huge fleets on the table. Probably gonna start there.
>>
File: K.png (154KB, 333x330px) Image search: [Google]
K.png
154KB, 333x330px
>>53338858

When you casually summon 8 Bloodthirsters.
>>
File: nikodemus.jpg (40KB, 960x669px) Image search: [Google]
nikodemus.jpg
40KB, 960x669px
Finished Nikodemus I've mentioned in last thread I think.

Pretty happy how he turned out, only problem is, I got like...one or two other Brotherhood figures and that's it.
>>
>>53344459
Spartan's rules are pretty ropey in places and have serious balance issues, I'd advise probably using Full Thrust rules and just statting the various ships.

The models are incredibly nice though.
>>
>>53344694
Well, congratulations anon, it's really beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

As for your problem, well, do you have other Warzone armies or nothing at all?
>>
>>53344740
Thanks for the tips.

This general is very under appreciated.
>>
>>53344279
Well you need FiveCore to play Five Parsecs.
>>
>>53345476
Thanks.

I don't have any Brotherhood minis. Have everything else except for Tribes of Earth.
>>
>>53345709
You could always use him as Inquisitor Majoris Hano Hamilkar and add him to your corporation's armies.
Or you could buy a Brotherhood starter from Prodos, but he would be kinda out of place.
>>
>>53337796
And it can't mirror the adrenaline rush of eve combat because in a sit-down wargame, nothing is at stake.
>>
>>53345985
so it needs a drinking game on top
>>
Is post-apoc becoming too crowded of a genre? I've seen quite a bit of it popping up lately.
>>
How tall are the Spartan figures for Halo? I know their 15mm scale, but given that Spartans are 7+ feet tall, I'm wondering if they could be used for conversions for 28mm.
>>
So a quick question for people who play the LoTR SBG. Do people still play Dwarves? How are they played? I used to play Erabor Dwarves with lots of Khazad Guard, Iron dudes (the ones with the 2 hand weapons), like 2 boxes of dwarf warriors, Gimli and Balin I think.

Cheers for the info dudes!
>>
>>53350392
Anon, that's a silly thought.

A 28mm figure is about twice the size of a 15mm figure.

Even if a spartan is taller than an ordinary dude, the model isn't going to be more than 20mm foot to top of head.

There's no way you're going to be able to mix it with 28mm stuff.
>>
>>53350931
I figured as much, but given how weird proportions can get I figured it was worth a shot.
>>
File: Dark-Lord-Sauron.jpg (106KB, 873x627px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Lord-Sauron.jpg
106KB, 873x627px
i played recently some LOTR and fell in love with the game system. We played the scenario from Balin' Tomb and it was just amazing fun. I want to get into this game and got for cheap some mordor orcs and heroes. But the books and rules seem to be organized in a huge clusterfuck. What is the current rules version ? what lists are accepted ? is there a book that reunites stuff or do i need to track down many individual supplements and books ? How do I go about this /tg/ ?
>>
>>53351330
>What is the current rules version?
The current ruleset is this:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-EN

>is there a book that reunites stuff or do i need to track down many individual supplements and books ?
I'm afraid you'll have to start tracking down supplements and books, especially if you want to play LotR armies (you'll need the "blue cover" versions of the armybooks).

You coul always visit the trove on this very general and download: the fallen realms, the free peoples, moria and angmar, mordor, kingdom of men, mini rulebook from goblintown. Then, you could go to http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/Faqs.html and download the FAQs and the file named "Heroes and Villains of Middle-Earth" (it contains profiles and point costs for a bunch of Hobbit releases), then http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/Free-downloads.html and download "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies".
>>
>>53352120
thanks kind annon
>>
>>53351330
>metal orcs in the background
>GW won't reissue them in Failcast

I'd even pay for those ;_;
>>
>>53350554

I have no idea but I think all the old LotR armies suffered in the Hobbit power creep.

If you're looking to get back into the game, FW are re-branding and re-balancing everything as the Middle-Earth SBG in the very near future.
>>
>>53352120
>>53352357

Actually, all the blue source books you need to play the old armies are available on GW under the Hobbit - books, FW reissued them.

So all you need is the Hobbit rulebook and the source book for your chosen army.
>>
What happened to warpath? It was hyped for some time and considered to have decent rules and models and then suddenly everybody stopped caring.
>>
>>53353229
Yes, they are on Games Workshop's site, I forgot to mention it.
>>
>>53353203
Not really. Most of the hobbit armies are actually somewhat weaker vs the legacy armies.
>>
>>53353287

Well when you look at the tournament lists half of them are Goblin town armies and the other half are Azog.
>>
>>53353315
Actually most of them are wraiths on fellbeasts and golden king with reavers if you want to go meta.
>>
>>53345985
So you mean you must add a global campaign to it with players warring for control over the galaxy? A tabletop Expand/Exploit/Exterminate.
>>
Is Adam Troke's army any good in this battle report? He looses by a small margin but it doesn't seem that competitive.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/18/battle-report-gundabad-vs-dol-amroth-may18/

Really nice looking army on the table and pretty cheap to buy as well.
>>
>>53353941
not really. Gandalf the white is considered the worst wizard in the game and he has no shooting. it was a fluffy list, but nowhere near competetive.
>>
Is the "Escape from goblin town" box worth getting? At first i didn't want it but now looking at it again it actually seems pretty fun and would basically let me set up the hobbit narrative games since i have all the dwarves, bilbo and the two wizard nerds.
>>53353315
Goblin Town is good? Does it use the goblin king? He seems pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>53354498
The box set is good, but is more for setting you up for narrative and campaign play. if you want to army build, you're better off getting the blue army book and core rule book seperately.
>>
>>53354588
Eh, i think narrative and campaign play could be fun!
I'm planning to build a dol guldur list for my actual army but nazgul of dol guldur aren't available yet, so perhaps i would have more fun building some azogs hunters, getting escape from goblin town and the trolls so i can do narrative play with friends.
>>
>>53353315
I'm just picturing in my mind an Azog's legion guy who's strategy revolves around that special rule where Bolg gets stronger the more scrubs he kills, but the enemy brought just fellowship.
>>
>>53354962
Are Thorin's Company/Fellowship lists any good anyway?
>>
>>53355008
Not really, as strong as they are 4 models are not going to stand up to 40, or not do so while trying to claim objectives.
>>
>>53355065
All hero's lists can be very strong. they play on the fact they're very hard to thin down due to the abundance of might and fate points. however once the numbers do start to drop, or the points run out, is when they start to get swarmed. it's basically a race to finish the game before that happens.
>>
>>53355096
How are Radagast and Gandalf the Grey in their hobbit incarnations?
Radagast looks pretty sweet if you toss him one of his mounts, though obviously pricey as fuck. Is Radagast + Eagles a legit list?
>>
>>53345648
Ok then. Do I need Five Parsecs?
>>
>>53355329
Nah. You may want it, but the base game is a ton of fun.
>>
>>53355306
Gandalf and Radagast are decent. Radagast on his eagle usually sees play as he's the only caster good has that can fly as opposed to evil who can have up to 9 with the wraiths.
>>
>>53355495
Fell beasts are fun.
>>
File: Ship_38.png (14KB, 425x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ship_38.png
14KB, 425x250px
I like you guys. I want to share something with you.

A couple of years ago, I adapted most of the Homeworld ships to Full Thrust, for my group at the time to play with. Then I had a kid, so opportunities for playtesting were pretty limited, but in the handful of sessions we had it worked pretty well.

Compared to typical FT stuff, everything is immensely durable (~50% mass is hp) and far more specialized. Lasers/grasers/k-guns maps directly into guns/ion beams/missiles.

pic is the HW1 heavy cruiser. Four ion beams (grasers) facing forward, some heavy guns (lasers), a shitload of health. Will rape anything slow, but very vulnerable to fighters.

Would anyone be interested if I were to zip up the lot?
>>
>>53351330
>>53352120
Which of these book would have the army of the dead?
>>
Anyone here interested "The Legend of the Fabled Realms" by 4Grounds? Looks quite good and unique fantasy wise as far as settings go. It has a card system, Active/Reactive Phases like infinity, but sadly unique dice sytem.

Really interested in the game and was hoping for /awg/'s opinions.
>>
>>53355809
Kingdoms of men, under Fiefdoms.
>>
>>53356178
Thank you!
>>
>>53355983
Not exactly, no. I'll try to keep mind and eyes open, but custom dice, cards, the "off-grey wardens" factions against the "slightly obscure spawn", the "Mordanburg guard" and the unit-vs-unit fight in a skirmish game don't exactly thrill me I'm afraid.
>>
>>53344109

Best version of Full Thrust, expanded by community with enough building rules to play in almost any universe with any ships:-
http://emeraldcoastskunkworks.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/full-thrust-project-continuum

Mucho recommendo
>>
>>53344279

You need both, and definitely worth the shekels, goyim
>>
>>53355741
I would. I did it myself in maths classes but never actually tried them out, and then lost the excercise book.
Now I have money I might even buy some shapeways models
>>
File: Knights of Dol Amroth.jpg (52KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
Knights of Dol Amroth.jpg
52KB, 600x620px
>>53354038

What if I swapped him for another Wizard, can an all Swan Knight list work?
>>
>>53337677

The HAlO game we want to hear about is the Female Spartan and AI Chick table top game
>>
>>53357826
you can swap him for Gandalf the Grey. who is considered top tier with Saruman. and fortunately they brought back original mounted Gandalf, so he's easy to get. You can run all swan knights, but it's like any elite cavalry list, you'll dominate in charges, but if you get bogged down, weight of numbers will pull you apart.
>>
>>53357826
>>53358033
oh and an addendum, GW haven't brought back foot knights for Dol Amroth yet and they're a pig to get hold of second hand. so you'll have to convert or find some proxies for dismounts for now.
>>
>>53358049
Just get Scotia Grendel's Swordsmen of the West, they are old LotR models. Have more poses, an actual command, look decent, and they don't cost GW-money.
>>
>>53358117
tried them. they don't really match the aesthetic in a way that works. and the swan knights have a command in the box. and be fair, one of the key things about GW for this range is that it is reasonably priced.
>>
>>53358157
>one of the key things about GW for this range is that it is reasonably priced.
Nothing GW produces is reasonably priced, not even LotR.

I meant the foot knights, not the mounted ones.
>>
>>53358205
get off your high horse dude. i can build a big army, bigger than tournament standard for around a £100. that's reasonable.
>>
>>53358268
\_o_/

Just look at those fucking foot knights and fuck off.
>>
>>53358306
go fuck yourself. you started this pissing match. if you think it's reasonable then it is, if it's not it's not.
>>
>>53358365
You started it by being a fucking moron and not realising I was not talking about the mounted ones.
>>
>>53358365
>>53358408
OH JUST FUCK ALREADY
>>
>>53358465
done and done
>>
>>53353254
Anyone?
>>
>>53357826
Dude, you need cavalry, you need ELF cavalry. Galadhrim knight all day every day.
>>
>>53359176
I know I stopped caring after it became clear the rules development was a clusterfuck.
>>
File: Fortran Chandler.jpg (33KB, 287x558px) Image search: [Google]
Fortran Chandler.jpg
33KB, 287x558px
re-posting my Osprey Alternate History Books Trove Archive Thingy Folder

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/08hq9c7x4clme/Documents

Still looking for Steampunk Old West and Osprey Elf

Don't tell Monica I'm here she got fat again and wants me to go out for a bucket of doughnut holes so she can prepare for her next Body Positive fashion show
>>
File: Chica del lazy Osprey.jpg (74KB, 1005x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chica del lazy Osprey.jpg
74KB, 1005x450px
>>53360988

Looking in Steampunk 1 the other day I see that Osprey is getting Lazy.

Girl in the middle is a Cuban Sniper from Steampunk 1 girl on the sides is Anne Oakley

I wonder how much of their Alt books are just unused 2nd tier art from the archive re-doodled to make in Steamy
>>
Are there any major wargames that are not from Britain or the US?
>>
>>53362695
Isn't Infinity Spanish?
>>
>>53362715
Pretty sure it is. Also, are there any Japanese wargames?
>>
>>53362808
Wargames have never really been big in the Asian markets.
>>
>>53362695
Spain and France have some big hits to their name. But GW has run most of the EU forever. theres a ton of mini makers all over, especially in the Eastern EU.

>>53362808
War-games yes, tabletop miniatures games less so.
>>
>>53362808
Nothing major from Japan. There was that one Gundam game that had pre-painted miniatures. You can find translations of the rules online. There are a decent amount of hex and chit wargames as well.
>>
File: Wat.gif (981KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Wat.gif
981KB, 500x375px
>>53365709
>Gundam game with prepainted minis

You have my attention, please do go on.
>>
>>53355983
I keep confusing that with the Fabled Lands gamebooks (which own)
>>
>>53362808
Dorasure - though that's more of a board game with miniatures. Those guys have a wargame too though, but I don't think anyone plays is outside of their store (or even in their store, for that matter).

>>53365681
Is spot on about war-games over miniatures games.

Honestly, in Japan GW is King and it kind of sucks, but there are /awg/ and /hwg/ players around if you know where to look. Of course, I'm speaking for Tokyo -- I don't know how bad the provincials have it.
>>
>>53359478
>galadhrim
>not mahud
Eat those str4 camel impact hits.
>>
>wanted to play wmh because it's 40k but not sucking
>buy into it just before new ed drops
>now it sucks too
Is there any hope? Should I give up and play skirmishes or cross fingers that 8th ed won't double model prices to make up for free rules?
>>
>>53362695
I believe SAGA is from France, as is Muskets and Tomahawks; Infinity and Napoleon at War are from Spain; Song of Blades and Heroes and Impetus are Italian
>>
>>53362695
Ah, and of course, Flames of War and Team Yankee are from New Zealand
>>
>>53369757
>wanted to play WM/H
>found out about 2d terrain

Well, I nope'd the fuck outta there. I might pick up the 2player starter at one point as I like the rules, but I'm not sure if I want to ever play it competetively.
>>
>>53370378
2D terrain is optional and only used by uberautists who can't position models on ledges/slopes and people too fat to lean over the table and see what's behind a building.
>>
>>53338377
I really wish they'd done Halo at 10mm. Would make it somewhat compatible with Planetfall and DZC. It's a really good scale for that style of "heroic" sci-fi (by which I mean, lots of big stuff included but individuals can still do things).

Then again, Spartan never does the same scale twice so I guess that wasn't in the cards.
>>
>>53339326
>>53344681
>summon 8 Bloodthirsters.
>I hope you mean bloodletters
They're babies! BABIES!!!

AAuuaaAUUGGGggghhhh
>>
>>53351125
They could work as power armoured children.
>>
>>53350278
>Is post-apoc becoming too crowded?
somebody call Alanis... this is what real irony looks like
>>
>>53362808
>>53368301
I want to see Japan release an asymmetric miniatures game where it's just the army vs. monster of the week.

Actually... the scale of my old plastic godzilla toy against my dropzone commander city is not bad at all.

Excuse me a moment, I have something I need to do.

*distant roaring noises*
>>
>>53370378
You don't have to play WMH with flat terrain, that's just one of those things people say. I played it from like 2006 and never used flat terrain outside of tournaments. At my casa, we often played on a big dense city board I made for malifaux (with destructible buildings) and it was great.

In a tournament setting, flat terrain is great because it minimizes rule disputes, makes setup/takedown/packing easy, and is quick to make lots of. I'm not building 20+ full scenic tables, anon. But that's tournaments, you have to make some concessions.
>>
Are Bill, Bert and Tom (the hobbit trolls) worthwhile for an SBG army to take? How do they compare to LOTR Trolls?
>>
>>53371968
I MIGHT give it a try...I commission painted lots of Warmachine and admittedly got a bit sick of them, but if I'd paint them for myself...

Also, the prices concern me deeply, it seems bloody expensive compared to, say, Malifaux, where a starter box is cheaper than a single unit box for Warmachine. Or I'm just a jobless cheapskate, that's possible too.
>>
>>53372022
As a malifaux player i have to say warmachine's models are absolutely dogshit in terms of quality compared to Malifaux and many of them are metal, which is worse than cancer.
Every time i think of expanding my Cryx army i realize the things i want to buy are metal and i stop thinking about it.
>>
>>53372022
>the prices concern me deeply
Warmachine is absolutely more expensive than a skirmisher like Mali. Individual model costs aren't that different, but you're fielding 4x or 5x as many dudes. It also usually has a larger proportion of big models.

>>53372060
I've built a lot of both malifaux and warmachine models and I don't really agree. It's probably down mostly to personal taste... Malifaux has some awesome models, but I get really annoyed with the excessively tall / thin / breakable stuff. A lot of it seems like it was designed more for display than gaming.
>>
>>53372333
Oh on the building front yeah Malifaux has stuff that is difficult to build or at risk of breaking, but it has better detail and that sort of thing. In durability WMH destroys malifaux.
>>
>>53372060
>metal, which is worse than cancer
this always confuses me.
Until GW starter their marketing campaign for Finecast I never heard people with such strong opinions about it.
And for good reason too, since it's only been in the last few years that other smaller companies were able to afford plastic kits in the same manner GW does them.

In any case, from a customer's point of view the only difference between metal and plastic is a bit of prep work.
So that seems a bit overly dramatic.
>>
>>53365815
It was more like a board game that Bandai released back in the day, Mobile Suit Z Gundam game: Take off MkII. Some dude translated it and put the rules up on BGG.
>>
>>53372410
Honestly i find it much more horrible to work with regarding mold lines, gluing, any adjustments and even find it worse to paint. Also I've never seen metal models with as much detail as plastic equivalents.
>>
>>53372410
Yeah, I can't really say I understand either. I mean, BIG metal minis? Sure, they sucked. I don't miss pinning huge pewter dragons and giants. But (almost) nobody is doing that anymore. Resin has gotten good enough to replace it. But for man-sized stuff, metal's got its advantages and disadvantages like every material. Biggest downside is probably paint chipping if you don't give it a good protective coat.
>>
>>53372494
Typically it's the other way around. A lot of the better metal minis don't have visible mold lines at all (maybe a little flash) and traditionally have the highest detail of any casting material.

Nowadays the differences aren't that great (plastic used to have extremely bad detail), but I'd still say metal is at or near the top. Obv shitty manufacturers are going to be shitty regardless of what material they use, though.
>>
>>53372550
Well which company has these supposedly high detail metal minis? It sure as hell aint privateer press.
>>
>>53365709

I'm surprised Gunpla never released a game for their models. I know there are some fan made rules.

Each of the real grade 1/144 kits only costs £20 imported, which is a drop in the ocean for war-games.
>>
>>53365681

Not really, Europe probably has the most diverse war-gaming crowd. GW isn't really king anyway anymore unless it's somewhere that war-games are just taking off.
>>
File: una02.jpg (109KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
una02.jpg
109KB, 600x568px
>>53372575
I feel like privateer gets accused of putting too much detail on their metal minis, more than not-enough.
>>
>>53372770
Look at the face, those armpit feathers or the hot mess that is her pants. Yes they shove things all over the model but its a thick mess.
>>
File: genuineanger.jpg (20KB, 480x470px) Image search: [Google]
genuineanger.jpg
20KB, 480x470px
>>53372770
ENOUGH WITH THOSE FUCKING RIVETS AND BOLTS
>>
>>53372851
That's the sculpt, not the design, though.
>>
>>53372992
derp, meant to say
That's the sculpt, not the material, though.
>>
>>53371890
Reminder that HG Gunpla are 1/144, or 10mm

(well, 10mm has a range, because it's partly based on model trains and n scale varies from 1:144 to 1:160 depending on which continent you're on)
>>
How red should my Red Martians? Be kind, they're very WIP and will be cleaned up.

They're 18mm by Black Hat.
>>
>>53372638
yo, don't game with real grade, that shit's fiddly and detailed. high grade is what you want for wargaming, it's detailed enough and poseable and dirt cheap

buy a dozen hi-mocks for £6 each or whatever and paint them up nicely and you've got a disposable mook army of glorious knock-off robots

(advanced grade is not what you want, that shit doesn't even pose iirc)
>>
File: IMG_0357.jpg (341KB, 1478x852px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0357.jpg
341KB, 1478x852px
>>53373050
Whoops!
>>
>>53373050
reddish-pink, something light and pale but definitely red. Don't go dark, that way lies madness in smaller scales.

You playing Martian Empires or something else?
>>
>>53373080
Hordes of the Things
>>
>>53373080
>>53373069
Of those three, the left is good. Posted before the pic.
>>
>>53373095
Thought so. Thanks a bunch.
I'll post some pics of the finished army eventually. Though that could be months and months, feels like they're taking forever.
>>
>>53372851
I wasn't addressing the specific sculpt, it's just a counter-example. The previous poster had said that PP metal casts couldn't hold detail.

>>53372858
>ENOUGH WITH THOSE FUCKING RIVETS AND BOLTS
I'm not sure that model has any of either of those things...
>>
>>53373044
>well, 10mm has a range, because it's partly based on model trains and n scale varies from 1:144 to 1:160 depending on which continent you're on
All the scales have a little bit of play to them, but 10mm is generally VERY close to 1/160 aka N-scale. Heavy Gear infantry is officially 12mm if memory serves, which is approx 1/144 as you say. The size difference is big enough to be noticeable - heavy gear's infantry work well as your "genetically modified power-armor super soldier" types when placed alongside 10mm figs.
>>
>>53372992
>>53373005
>>53375056
You seem to misunderstand what i mean by detail. I don't mean how much stuff you can cram onto a model, or polycount equivalent or some shit. I mean how fine the detail is, like eyebrows, individual lips, properly done feathers/fur etc. That sculpt shows a lot of bumps, but even its finest details are quite large compared to any modern malifaux or GW model.
>>
>>53376858
It's not that I don't understand, I just don't agree. I think you are just wrong, if you believe that plastic can do more than metal.
Resin, if it's done well is actually able to pull that off, but not plastic.

Aside from a AoS Slaughterpriest, I also recently bought minis from Hasslefree, Corvus Belli and Warlord, all metal miniatures, that are just as detailed. So I have a pretty fair selection to stuff I can compare right here.

What you are complaining about are stylistic design choices of Warmahordes models. They're a bit cartoony and a lot of the sculpts are pretty old by now.

The thing about a bumpy finish can happen to metal minis, but that is a casting defect. And I've had resin with bubbles and even plastic sprues from GW themselves that weren't filled out completely too.
That can happen with any material.
>>
>>53377114
I don't mean bumps as in mistakes, i was using that to refer to things like the cloak stitching etc.
Models like Feora, Conquering Flame aren't old and that lacks fine detail too.
>>
>>53371812
>tfw they actually are power armored children
>>
>>53377498
You're crazy.
I'm with the other anon - I don't know which metal models you've been buying but all the ones I've bought/seen are on par with or better than plastic.

Throw a dark wash over the metal and you'll see.
>>
Have any of you guys played Scrappers from Osprey?
>>
>>53372575

The vast majority of miniatures I've bought from Hasslefree have had 0 flash and almost invisible mould lines.

Small companies who have to pride themselves on good quality control are night and day compared to the big guys who exist to shovel product out the door.
>>
>>53379742
Completely true. My 15mm Demonworld miniatures were flawless.
>>
>>53377901
>>53377114
not him,but i think what he is trying to say is that metal miniatures(i don't know if the issue is inherent to the material, but all figures i saw have it) have to be a chunk,so for example you can see this in the pic of a PP mini, the feathers are supposed to be detached from the dress, but they can't be because the model has to be a united chunk, so the feather ends up being super thick, going from the vest to where the feather was intended to be. Many miniatures work around this issue and make it almost unnoticeable, but i never saw a mini where you couldn't notice it was made of metal from these small things.( i agree metal is a good material and people hate on it for no reason, but this little issue is there indeed).
>>
>>53338858
>using proxied bloodletters.
>but there's a bloodletters box in the background.

???
>>
>>53381907
Probably still unassembled.
>>
>>53351330
I find it funny that Matt Ward was the person who wrote the rules for this game yet proceeded to make Fantasy and 40k rot from the inside out
>>
>>53383210
Rick Priestly, Alessio Cavatore, and the Perry brothers were all involved to some extent
>>
File: 1495502512356.jpg (518KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1495502512356.jpg
518KB, 1000x750px
Are there any Japanese mech inspired wargames out there other than Heavy Gear?
>>
>>53383901
Jovian Chronicles :^)

But on a serious note, Battletech is notable as it at one point lifted designs from Macross. Infinity has smaller sized Landmate esque suits that look very nice.
>>
Okay, picture this:
Iron hill dwarf phalanx with Malbeth.
>>
>>53368558

Not just running Sons of Eorl and getting 3 attacks on a charge at Str 4
>>
>>53375112
>but 10mm is generally VERY close to 1/160 aka N-scale.
yeah, that's what I'm getting at: n-gauge (it's technically not a scale!) isn't 1/160 everywhere. It's 1/148 depending on country, and 1/148 is close enough to half 1/72 that some people started using 1/144.
>>
Any heavy gear player's here? Heard of a possible kickstarter coming this summer. That true?
>>
>>53385156
Possible Kickstarter, yes. Summer, maybe.
>>
Anyone has tried Norba miniatures?
At first I found they minis too rough, but the last ones are winning me over. They aren't that bad priced either, specially in regiments.
>>
>>53388536
Norba, along with MoM and AoW, forms the Holy Trinity of drunk Spaniards. They all make nice stuff for decent prices.
>>
>>53388598
AoW and MoM are very good, MoM it's a bit rough but the prices and aesthethics are incredible, the big monster (minus the troll and the paws of the trebuchet) are awesome. AoW makes incredible stuff but they seem to have slowed down a bit, specially in they plastics.
What I don't know it's about the quality of the minis and the postage.
>>
Are there any other companies outside of GW and PP that have a hobby tools and paints line alongside their wargame?
>>
>>53388812
I'm not sure if Warlord ate Army Painter or just promotes them, but's that's all I can think of.

Oh wait, Reaper has their own line of paint, but I don't think they produce a wargame anymore.
>>
>>53388812
Wasn't steamforged working on a paint line like a year ago?
>>
>>53384195
Btech didnt lift them, they thought they bought the rights. Turns out, the us office for macross oublisher did not have rights iirc
>>
Does anyone here have something good or bad to say about Dark Age? Some of their minis are great.
>>
File: 47-83-thickbox.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
47-83-thickbox.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
Has anybody played Alkemy? I really like the Khaliman Republic models and at least on Board Game Geek people say it's quite good.
Alternatively I might just get into Frostgrave using the Alkemy models.
>>
>>53389833
Alkemy system is fun, but uses proprietary dice. Pity the nee models are lower quality sculpts than the original plastics.
>>
>>53383210
I find it funny that people think Matt Ward came up with a completely original systems when making SBG whilst it's actually just a modified version of 2nd edition 40k.

Even the WotR game he made is just a modified version of Warmaster, so it's not like he is a genius or something.
>>
>>53390118
Signed, someone who did not read SBG nor WotR
>>
>>53380284
I get what you're saying, but the "chunk" thing is really a sculpting/design decision, not a limitation of material. The one big advantage of plastic, and something malifaux abuses, is that you can do very fine, self-supported elements (like the little lightning bolts on electric creation) which really only works with materials that are light (not metal) and flexible (not most resins). However, those types of model details tend to be display-only, since even in plastic they tend to break off quickly if played / transported.
>>
>>53388901
>Oh wait, Reaper has their own line of paint, but I don't think they produce a wargame anymore.
I'm pretty sure Reaper still has their in-house games (like Warlord and CAV) but they don't promote them heavily.

Their paints are pretty decent, I have a few pots. Army Painter and Vallejo both make decent products as well. Although there's definitely a lot to be said for sourcing your hobby materials locally and avoiding brand names (you can save a lot of cash and avoid getting into having to re-buy weird proprietary color mixes).
>>
File: alkemy-rulebook.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
alkemy-rulebook.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53389946
Yeah, I've found the rules and they seem quite good.
>>
File: PRDFScheme.jpg (63KB, 394x457px) Image search: [Google]
PRDFScheme.jpg
63KB, 394x457px
>>53385156
Yep.
>>
File: WP_20170523_11_04_07_Pro.jpg (359KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170523_11_04_07_Pro.jpg
359KB, 1024x576px
About to prime and paint some Bloodthirsters what about you anons?
>>
>>53388812
Rackham and Battlefront off of the top of my head.
>>
>>53388812
Foundry do a damn good paint range, some minor tools, and IIRC have a few wargames. Only one I've bought is God of Battles when it went super-cheap, and the army lists are weird and wonderful but not especially universal.

They do good painting guides, assuming you like Dallimore's style. If you don't then they're not good.
>>
>>53391644
Painted a Minas Tirith Knight yesterday, gave an axe to a warrior as he lost his sword, basecoated him and seven of his pals, plus doing some orcs for my sisters warband...not much desu.
>>
>>53389833
I like the games core mechanics overall, and I applaud the fans who bought the game up after it died. But the game is basically nonexistent outside of France nowadays but if you like the models I would definitely suggest grabbing some of using them in the game system of your choosing. Though I hear the current guys casting of stuff isn't top notch unfortunately.
>>
>>53389258
Excellent game system, with pretty ok support. Ideally the resculpts and newer push will get more dudes playing but its "died" a couple of times now and CMON having shit distribution doesn't help.
>>
>>53391644

Not /alt/ but I'm picking my way through 40 High Elf Sea Guard. Did a minor conversion in the first one's spear and now I have to do it on all of them and it's taking me ages.
>>
>>53373065

The fan rules I was using were a bit like Mordheim, quite a bit of detail in movement and damage, so each side had about 4 to 8 suits.

It was called Mobile Suit Gundam: Skirmish if you're interesting.
>>
File: le039_1ws.jpg (26KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
le039_1ws.jpg
26KB, 266x400px
King Gorge bump
>>
>>53391046

By chance anon do you know what the contents of the kickstarter? also of a source for it? I love the idea of heavy gear but hate that it's not getting love.
>>
>>53395782
It's for the factions that didn't get stuff in the previous kickstarter - so Peace River, Utopia, NuCoal and Black Talon.

Source was they outright said they were doing it during the fulfilment of the previous kickstarter.
>>
File: le037_1.jpg (40KB, 350x436px) Image search: [Google]
le037_1.jpg
40KB, 350x436px
>>53395379
>>
What are the most popular non-warhammer wargames right now?
>>
>>53396586
Warmahordes, Infinity, Malifaux, Flames of War, Bolt Action.
>>
>>53396617
Aren't warmahordes dead?
>>
>>53397559
No. It is still second place behind 40K. Also X-Wing is even more popular than 40K if you are going by sales.
>>
>>53397586
How do you even know this, it's not like GW publishes sales for seperate games (as far as I know)

This post totally isn't just a bump
>>
>>53391644
More work on my men of dale.
>>
>>53389946
>>53392547
I've found a willing guinea pig so I'll be trying out a game Friday. Will report back.
>>
>>53389833
I did like the idea behind the gathering of materials on the board for the magic system the original system had (don't know much about the revival system). Though of ideas for that in my own homebrew, but hadn't fleshed out that concept.
>>
>>53384562
That was Mahud raiders plus the impact hit and with access to war spears.
Before the dark times, before the Hobbit.
>>
>>53399750
I'm going by https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/36971/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-fall-2016.
>>
File: a8934142b9496d39cebd1db677b678b4.jpg (149KB, 828x1144px) Image search: [Google]
a8934142b9496d39cebd1db677b678b4.jpg
149KB, 828x1144px
>>53402966
>age of shitmar that high
>>
>>53395379
I can never tell how much of the distinctive flintloque look is bad sculpting and how much is bad painting. I know that at least some of their miniatures are well-sculpted and look good when painted by someone who can paint...
>>
>>53403484
Its really, really bad painting.
>>
Looking for some help sourcing minis for Song of Blades and heroes (actually ASoBaH), i'm new to the hobby so starting from scratch.
Any suggestions on how to make a budget warband? Ideally 10-20 minis with different poses and weapon options
I got humans covered (Frostgrave soldiers box with a few Reaper Bones for heroes), looking for some other races e.g. goblins, orcs, dwarves, skeletons/undead
Cheers!
>>
Anyone tried the new runewars miniature game from ffg? The skeleton with the antlers is strangely appealing
>>
>>53405012
I think warlord had decent looking skelly, Mantic ones are in the cheap side and look good. Orcs and dorfs from Momminiatures are pretty good. For goblins I like the mantic ones than are in the cheap side of fantastic minis.
>>
>>53405564
Oh, and look for reaper bones too, I forgot them. They have a wide range of minis in the cheap side.
>>
>>53405012
You can get gnolls from Frostgrave too.
And they are working on dwarves and orks too atm. Not sure when they will be released though.

Mantic is great for undead. If you are lucky you may be able to pick up some goblins and orcs from the LotR game on ebay. Sometimes you can get pretty good deals for those.
>>
File: Mountain_Orc_Infantry.jpg (176KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Mountain_Orc_Infantry.jpg
176KB, 700x467px
>>53405012
Shieldwolf have a set of nice multipart Orcs. They have a fairly distinctive style though so whether or not you like them is going to be a matter of taste.
>>
>>53405402
Expensive, 90's sculpting, FFG so you will need shitload of tokens, cards and junk stuck in other faction's boxes probably.
>>
>>53403191
The game gained a lot of foothold since the general handbook been released. Seems more likely 9th age will die than AoS now.
>>
>>53406667
You're not kidding when you say distinctive style...

The bodies look fine, if a bit GW proportioned, but yeah the heads are not to my liking.

I'm holding out until Warlord rereleases the WGF orc set.
>>
>>53406719
>I'm holding out until Warlord rereleases the WGF orc set.
What do you mean? They sell the sprues already. Just not the box set. Don't know if that is gonna come back though.
>>
>>53406762
Not that anon but they're listed as out of stock on the site at the moment.
>>
>>53406762
Yeah, but buying the sprues individually is twice as expensive as the old box, and I don't need orcs that badly.

Also, rumor has it that Warlord is working on a fantasy expansion for Hail Caesar, which would naturally feature the WGF orcs and skeletons.
>>
>>53406766
Oh okay. I didn't catch that.

The skeletons are not even on the page atm, so I thought rereleased was meant as in 'they're currently locked away in a vault and Warlord is gonna sit on them for the next few years'

>tfw still no Landsknechte
>>
>>53406797
As long as they don't do test of honor pricing on it.
>>
>>53396617
I'd add guildball to that list, although it's probably just a spike and won't have near the same durability of some of those others.

The strongest showing in the not!GW category is probably Mantic's offerings (Kings and Warpath). From what I've seen, a pretty solid percentage of people still buying GW minis these last couple years aren't actually using them for playing GW's games.

>>53397559
>Aren't warmahordes dead?
Was this a joke? WMH is one of the few minis games you can reliably find a game for at any random store (at least in the US).
>>
>>53406904
I don't think they can afford to. After all, orcs and skeletons would have to compete against, at the very least, Mantic.

No one else sells plastic Samurai/Ashigaru.
>>
>>53407576
Plus it's Hail Caesar, not some random skirmish game.

Would be nice if they had plans for other fantasy stuff. Also, WGF had a bunch of renders for Hundred Years War stuff...would be nice if they made those as well.
>>
File: shiisa.jpg (142KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shiisa.jpg
142KB, 640x480px
>>53407615
Would it be called "hail shiisa"?
>>
>>53340994
Nice looking sculpt. It might get appropriated as a Minbari ship.

>>53341672
>Attack Vector
Nice, I had always wanted a look at that. Much appreciated anon!
>>
File: 1436967689269.jpg (107KB, 873x627px) Image search: [Google]
1436967689269.jpg
107KB, 873x627px
Am I missing something or does the bow limit mean you are not allowed to have an all mounted Rohan force in Lord of the Rings without taking silly numbers of Sons of Eorl? Since every rider of Rohan has a bow by default.
>>
>>53408191
Don't they have that restriction lifted?

Also, there are Royal Guards as well.
>>
>>53408250
Yup, technically all riders of Rohan have a bow but you can opt to have them drop the bow if it's not shown in the model.
It's a bit silly since you're still paying for the bow you're not using.
>>
>>53408280
Just drop the points cost by 1 for models not holding the bow and you're set.
>>
>>53408191
I'm fairly sure the restriction is waived in cases where the unit comes with a bow in their default profile.
>>
>>53408339
But that's not how it's written.
It's as weird as elven blades since you could already opt to use a hand weapon instead of swinging with the big sword.
Which raises the question, if an orc uses a hand weapon instead of his two-hander and on top of that he uses a special strike, what strike does he make?
>>
File: Warriors_of_Mars_-_cover.jpg (48KB, 300x477px) Image search: [Google]
Warriors_of_Mars_-_cover.jpg
48KB, 300x477px
Does anybody know if there are rules or miniatures for wargaming set on Barsoom?

I recently started reading the books and the setting really lends itself to it I think.
>>
>>53405012
Just so you know, the Frostgrave Cultists box has some skeleton parts designed to mix and match with the non-skeleton parts (and the Soldier box parts) to make skeletons. In robes and shit, admittedly.

You might want to look at some GW stu-- look, quiet down, mob, I'm just saying, look at some GW stuff. And maybe buy it on ebay, but even then some's reasonable if you're only buying a box. I have a fondness for the gor & ungor beastmen, for instance.
>>
>>53408903
From the FAQ on GW's website.

Q: If the profile of a model states that it is armed with a two-handed
weapon, such as an Uruk-hai Berserker or Clansman of Lamedon, do
they count as being armed with a single-handed weapon as well?
(pg 67)
A: Yes. Many of these models will have a secondary weapon that
is clearly visible on the model for the purposes of determining
which special strikes they can make with their hand weapon.
However, if it is unclear which single-handed weapon a model is
equipped with, it cannot make a special strike.
>>
>>53409967
So if I stick an axe on the orc that means he could piercing strike I guess.
GW's site is a nightmare to navigate for me
>>
>>53410050
Stick an hand axe, he can piercing strike. Stick a sword or a dagger, he can feint. Stick a club, he can stun. Stick an hammer, he can bash. That's strictly imho, though. I know at least one person that adamantly believes it's the unconverted model that counts, and that adding weapons is cheating, but he's an asshole anyhow so it doesn't matter.

They're on warhammer digital too, under FAQ & Errata. GW's site is a nightmare indeed, I know there are still FAQs there because I stumbled upon them by mistake.
>>
>>53410173
He has a point though, nothing is stopping you from making axe-armed wood elf hordes pierce striking everything. Or black guard with axes doing the same because they don't tell you what kind of hand weapon they're using, just that they have one of possible several.
It's a bit insane.
>>
>>53410173
>>53410295
Reason #765 of why I don't give a shit about Hobbit SBG and just stick with normal LotR SBG.
>>
>>53410594
What, you don't want strength 8 troops running around the field?
Or strength 10 trolls now that I think about it.
>>
>>53410811
Only thing I'd like is shooting to be a bit more effective than throwing wet dog poo.

Stands for WotR as well.
>>
>>53410856
Just play isengard or corsairs. That and pray volley fire comes back.
>>
>>53410295
>>53410594
Make the most of it. The special strikes are getting revised when the new rulebook hits this year.
>>
>>53411501
I know better than to believe in rumors or for gw to right their wrongs.
>>
>>53411543
The team have outright stated it on the GBHL group. special strikes and magic are getting a proper revision.
>>
>>53411569
They also said AoS will be good but guess what.
>>
>>53411700
One is a subjective statement and the other is an objective statement. I don't see why they wouldn't be following through on those revisions when they outright said that they would.
>>
>>53411774
Because they are Geedubs. Never trust them. Ever.
>>
>>53411801
Can you give a record of when they have outright contradicted themselves when they announced a change to the rules? I can understand them putting out subpar products or no longer supporting things in the past, but they have never lied about something like this. I apologize if I find it hard to believe you despite all of the evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>53411569
GW fixing is making some stuff overpowered, nerfing other things, and then shitting on the lore.
Thankfully they can't do too much of the last one.
Oh god I hope we don't get formations.
>>
>>53411852
I don't trust them for other reasons - fucking over the community, insane business decisions, etc.

Hope they'll do better with this, but I'll stick with the two original LotR games, mostly because I have the small rulebook for SBG and both books for WotR.

>>53412069
Battlehosts were fine as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>53412106
I never cared for WoTR but damn those were some nice trays.
>>
>>53412321
I'd advise you to try it - a friend convinced me to try LotR with WotR, and I really liked it. SBG feels a tad inferior in some parts...

Anyway, yeah, awesome game, try it. You don't need more than the two books to play, tho sourcing some models might be expensive in case you can't do some recasts for yourself.

And the trays...oh fuck yeah those trays, I love them, especially the infantry ones. I use those for Pike and Shotte and to hold my modern and WW2 minis when I'm painting them.
>>
>>53410295
Black Guards of Barad-dûr with axes? Sure, why not. Make him convert them. Base models have swords, so kudos to him if he converts those.

Same thing with wood elves, if he converts them, why not?

Remember, it has to be represented on the model, otherwise, it gets no special strike.

Piercing strike is fun, but remember that if the one using it loses the fight, it's -d3 defense time.
>>
>>53412069
if you were getting formations, you would have seen it already in the newest supplement. jesus, why are wargames such paranoid faggots?
>>
>>53412624
>modern state of 40k
>death of Fantasy
>sigmarines
>the bad things changed from lotr to hobbit (no more volley, 12 man bands, mahud, never finishing the legions profiles)
I have every reason to view anything GW does with suspicion.
>>
>>53412707
>implying any of that is bad.
like i said, paranoia.
>>
>>53412895
We shall see.
I expect 20mm square bases and the Warhammer ancient battles rules.
After space marine space marines the sky's been surpassed as the limit.
>>
>>53412895
>bad track record
>expecting shit not to change is paranoia

Herro mister redshirt.
>>
>>53412932
i wish you people would actually go onto facebook and actually talk to the middle earth team rather than sit here with your tinfoil hats on.
>>53412958
what are you? chinese?
>>
>>53413086
But an anonymoose chinese image board is much more fun.
>>
>>53413086
>facebook
Their lie engine defended by fanboys. I'll keep my hat on thank you very much.
>>
>>53413194
you're that one guy who sits in a park surrounded by radios in a moth eaten sweater aren't you?
>>
>>53413304
No, I'm the guy who only goes out to buy paint at the store while giving AoS players the stink eye.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>53413439
>buying GW paints
>>
>>53413478
I buy army painter and vallejo.
>>
>>53413439
we're talking about the hobbit, not AoS
>>
>>53413478
I can't find companies that make better and as varied washes as they do sadly. Plus the technicals are something only they do.
>>
>>53413790
Vallejo for washes, AK and/or Ammo of Mig for technicals, Vallejo has some basing pumices too...

There isn't much reason to buy Citadel paints besides fanboying.
>>
>>53413847
Another reason could be it's all the store has and you can't wait for your shipment to arrive to start on a project.
>>
>>53413930
Well, for you it is, but for me both need to be ordered from another city...and if I could, I would get the one that gives better value for less money.
>>
>>53413790
Vallejo put out a technical line in the past year or so.
>>
sorry if this has been asked a couple of times already but any sugestion on games that don't rely much in dice rolls? or better said something where in the worst case scenario, let's say my soldiers don't shoot themselves in the face?

apart from the previous, any game where I can buy 2 factions/teams or comes in a 2-player-starter-box thing for fair price?
>>
>>53414689
Little wars uses no dice at all.
>>
File: rendu-Def-Fan-Heroic-07.jpg (76KB, 567x854px) Image search: [Google]
rendu-Def-Fan-Heroic-07.jpg
76KB, 567x854px
>>
>>53414809
>Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books
I'm laffin.
>>
>>53407016
What are the other minis games?
>>
>>53413847
Army Painter washes are gud too.

Also Flory weathering washes are great.
>>
>>53415116
> tfw 151
>>
>>53414689
Malifaux uses playing cards.
>>
>>53415037
I use the sci-fi versions as a Nurgle lord. Not a bad figure, but I may retire him for the one in the Dark Imperium box set.
>>
>>53415376
40K and X-Wing.
>>
>>53415768
ya poor fella

>>53415970
how so?
>>
>>53416123
That's not an awful lot.
>>
>>53416191
You flip playing cards and use the number there rather than the result on a dice, but it isn't what you are asking for as there is still randomness.
>>
>>53416205
You can throw in Heroclix as well I guess. Otherwise minis games in the US aren't massively popular. Be more prepared to play TCGs and board games if you are always looking for a game.
>>
>>53416219
well I can stand some randomness, the only kind of random I said I didn't like is the one who buttfucks and hard for bad rolls.
>>
>>53416260
It definitely has less variation than some games. Notably you have a hand of cards that you can use to replace the results of some flips. There are a lot of mechanics revolving around drawing, discarding, and forcing your opponent to discard or draw cards. You also have the suit of the card matter, with different suits "triggering" different abilities. The other main resource in the game, soulstones, let you add suits and flip and additional card which help mitigate randomness.

Overall far less swingy than some games. And of course there are only so many high cards in a deck, and you generally burn through a deck in a turn, so all results will occur.
>>
File: WP_20170524_18_26_05_Pro(1).jpg (364KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170524_18_26_05_Pro(1).jpg
364KB, 1024x576px
What is a good paint for Uruk-hai flesh? Gonna use some white stripes as tattoos but i can't figure out what red to use for the skin. Probably will wash it eventually.
>>
>>53417435
I don't know, I just take a red then mix a dark green until it gets almost brown then apply that.
>>
>>53417435
Ratskin flesh basecoat (or equivalent), red or sepia wash, then highlight raised details with ratskin flesh again.
>>
I remember when I wanted to get into D&D attack wing because I had a boner from x-wing like battles but with dragons and other fantasy creatures as well. and then Wizkids happened, once again.
>>
>>53407722
what expression is this?
>>
>>53420821
When you're balls deep but she asks you to go deeper
>>
>>53413847
Vallejo washes in my experience are pretty bad. Not as bad as vallejo metallics, which are literally the devil. For those two things I will stick to GW.
>>
>>53419092
I didn't keep up with it. Did Wizkids just stop supporting it for no reason? I feel the same way honestly. I just wanted D&D the miniatures game.
>>
>>53421091
I think so. It just died.

I want a dragon wargame, or something with a big showpiece monster that can actually do things on the field, unlike Warmahordes that had to give you them for free so people would take them.
>>
>>53421301
I think a game like that already exists, it used dragons as generals to warbands and the spells where held in the hand like playing cards.
I forgot its name like that d10 based knight combat game.
>>
>>53421496
Drake the Dragon Wargame. It was meh, though.
>>
>>53421301
Board wargame, but look up Dragon Rage. It's basically wargame classic Ogre except instead of a giant cybertank attacking an army, it's a dragon (well, two dragons) attacking a fortified town. There's a very pretty new edition with a badly-written rulebook that works once you get the hang of it, and it's a fun game - it also includes things other than two adult dragons, such as: baby dragons, giants, orc & troll & goblin army, an alternative map where the human forces are attacking an orc camp.

Highlights of sweet dragon action include dragons landing in a hex containing enemy troops and belly-crushing them (unless they're a hero, because heroes can stab them if they do that), dragons losing their legs and slithering into a tower and up onto the walls, then launching themselves off the wall into flight, and dragons wrecking buildings because fuck you, puny humans and your buildings.
>>
>>53421673
there are also rules for sea serpents and a downloadable rulesheet for the rabbit of caerbannog, but I never played with them.
>>
>>53417435
Vallejo's Hull Red.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.