[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So assuming strenght enhancing technology makes carrying large

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 17

File: Phalanx_DPV.jpg (244KB, 654x440px) Image search: [Google]
Phalanx_DPV.jpg
244KB, 654x440px
So assuming strenght enhancing technology makes carrying large weapons and armor more practical where would the shield and gun combo best be utilized?
>>
>>53336144
Room clearing, vip/material protection,riot control and boarding action.
>>
File: darth_vader_power_armor.jpg (67KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
darth_vader_power_armor.jpg
67KB, 800x800px
Assuming armor was available that greatly enhanced strength and speed, and we had access to energy/nanofilament/power melee weapons, what circumstances might they realistically be used in when other people still have guns?

Something like Assault Marines in 40k? Or as a secondary CQC weapon with some extra pzazz like in Destiny?
>>
>>53336144
During riots. In actual military engagements the other guys will also have bigger guns so a shield would just mostly slow you down and not let you grab an even bigger gun.

Leave armor to actual vehicles.
>>
File: tribes3_042403_04inline[1].jpg (57KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
tribes3_042403_04inline[1].jpg
57KB, 440x440px
>>53336184
second.

Basically any environment where most of your threat is going to come from small arms.

Urban or Field combat has too much risk of heavy ordinance negating the value of your shield completely

Possible exception if your shield bearer is highly mobile, I got a character in a modern fantasy superhero campaign whose basically warmachine with power armor generated and powered by Mars, Kerebos, and Hephaestus. He jets around and 'skis' like one of those heavies from from Tribes
>>
>>53338777
Breaching doors. Today, it's done with crowbars/hammers for slow/low risk and explosives [so the soldiers have to back off for safety] in fast/high-risk situations.

With lightsabers, the breach man could wave his tool around the door and the point man (with a gun) could go right in.
>>
File: bond-brothers.jpg (88KB, 1080x599px) Image search: [Google]
bond-brothers.jpg
88KB, 1080x599px
>>53338951

Why would your shield guys ever be stationary? I would think the best way to use them is to always push the line forward and prevent the enemy from pushing you back or pushing through your lines. If they come at you they hit a wall and get bullets to the face for their troubles
>>
>>53338951
>He jets around and 'skis' like one of those heavies from from Tribes
That's some anime shit right there. Though, it did give me an idea. What if the Tribes mechanic of sking were brought to a fantasy setting via magic armor?
>>
>>53340382
Artillery kinda makes the block infantry formation moot

That and vehicles/real armor
>>53340472
It is pretty anime anon, I'll admit, many gundam jokes are had especially since he has side and back verniers for manuevering.

Which is funny because he's a 30 something ex marine who doesn't know shit about anime, so everyone's jokes are lost on him.
>>
File: metaltech-earthsiege_5[1].gif (57KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
metaltech-earthsiege_5[1].gif
57KB, 640x400px
>>53338951
>tribes
Fuck man, give me back Earthsiege, or even Starsiege, any day of the week.
>>
File: Alliance 3.png (4KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
Alliance 3.png
4KB, 140x140px
>>53340583
Seconded, Sci-Fi Skiing combat may be a bit fun, but a real series died for it
>>
File: halo_prototype_armor.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
halo_prototype_armor.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
Can we hijack this into a power armor image/discussion thread?
>>
File: xVktgOu.jpg (138KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
xVktgOu.jpg
138KB, 768x1024px
>>53343436
Here's the 2017 US military power armor prototype.
>>
>>53344239
This is a private contractors prototype from 2016.
>>
>>53340583
I'm sorry anon. I also wished starsiege made it forward. Some of the vehicles and gameplay looked great, but I never got into it. I did appreciate the starsiege trailer and endings though.
>>
File: 1483221356809.jpg (145KB, 500x707px)
1483221356809.jpg
145KB, 500x707px
>>53343436
I'm the OP and I approve of this move.
>>
This is good because I needed a place to dump all this science-fantasy power armor I curated a while ago. I always need more science-fantasy armor, there's a big dearth in the genre.

>With speed and maneuverability on his side, the noble waste-knight leads the beast from the ravaged town. There, he will be free to use the full extent of his arsenal without fear of collateral.
>>
File: 1477209417825.jpg (237KB, 1600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1477209417825.jpg
237KB, 1600x1031px
>>
File: black gold PA dimitri neron.jpg (198KB, 1358x1920px) Image search: [Google]
black gold PA dimitri neron.jpg
198KB, 1358x1920px
>>53345735
>Lord N'rone pays his warriors well. Voluminous fur, the finest carbon plate, and sleek gold mark those skilled enough to serve in his Lordship's elite guard. How much of the knight within is truly loyal, or simply bought, is up for debate...
>>
File: bulk crusader PA.jpg (188KB, 897x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bulk crusader PA.jpg
188KB, 897x1000px
>>53345779
>In the wastes of the Earth that Was, some things never change. Clad in the finest armor smithed deep within the Halls of Unctuation in the ancient pits of Rom, the Crusaders of Cristus set out to purge the Mosli hordes to the East.
>>
>>53336144
Riot control and combat versus lightly armed combatants is most likely. Without weird technology, heavy ordinance is just going to straight up kill a person sized object with pressure waves.
>>
File: clarke fur PA kittrix.png (731KB, 600x1016px) Image search: [Google]
clarke fur PA kittrix.png
731KB, 600x1016px
>>53345801
>>
File: cloak knight PA.jpg (498KB, 1313x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cloak knight PA.jpg
498KB, 1313x1600px
>>53345957
>Sir Amund was an enigmatic sort. The same finery and grace that carried in him awe through the court was also that which struck mortal terror into the hearts of his enemies. It was said there were two Sir Amunds: Ser Amund the White, and Amund the Red...
>>
Bump for tonight. Need more armor love in the morning.
>>
>>53336144
Were your going to be seen anyway. Hide behind the cover that's already there so they don't know where to aim the heavy weapons. A new use would be by powered armor as an ultra-light tank.
>>
>>53344239
>>53344256
What defines power armour? Neither of those look servo-assisted
>>
>>53349259
The black one [TALOS] is full body powered. The green [Revision] is legs and spine only.
>>
The shields only going to be useful when you're fighting a massively inferior force allowing you to dedicate less to your own weaponry and much more to simply being invulnerable (hence why riot shields are only used in police actions against people with rocks). Instead of the shield you could just use that weight to put more armor into your armor.
>>
>>53350677

If I could field troops with armor that gave them the strength to wield shields like pic related then why would I need to make them wear heavier bulkier armor? That said, I feel there are some applications to the shields that are being ignored because the assumption being they are going to walk through artillery fire or something.

1.Assuming the shields had the strength and resilliance to withstand small arms protestors with non military grade pisotls and rifles are going to have a hard time hurting them. Even then they arn't the only guys on the field to help tend to the matter with troops carrying the sort of weapons others fear would invalidate the usefulness of the shields

2. They could have strategic application such as being quickly deployable ramps or form a defensive barrier that can be set into the ground to ward an area and allow the shield carrying troops to utilize other weapons
>>
>>53344239
Pauldrons aren't big enough.
>>
>>53350782
>If I could field troops with armor that gave them the strength to wield shields like pic related then why would I need to make them wear heavier bulkier armor?

Because you still have sides and back (and top and legs) and whoever chose to dedicate that weight to a bigger gun is going to put a round through that shield and you.

>Assuming the shields had the strength and resilliance to withstand small arms protestors with non military grade pisotls and rifles are going to have a hard time hurting them.

Powered armor is going to be inherently immune to civilian small arms fire. Like, that's literally the only reason for it at all. We already have armored suits that are practically immune to small arms fire and don't require servo motors and you don't need a fucking bolter to pacify a protest. Shields are only worth the immense effort if you know precisely the direction of the enemy or if you don't have to go anywhere. That's hallways and riots.

> They could have strategic application such as being quickly deployable ramps or form a defensive barrier that can be set into the ground to ward an area and allow the shield carrying troops to utilize other weapons

Or you could just stand behind something like people manage now.
>>
>>53336144
Defending a vital building.

Being a human sized tank that can block an entire hallway and move on from that would be a huge game changer.
>>
>>53336144
You don't have to go big, physically.
Sorry for my English, but like Reinhardt's shield from Overwatch. It is big, so he has to wear a large suit to power it, but that light shield goes through surfaces, and can stop bullets from one side but not another.

Replace hammer with gun and maybe make shield smaller and you have excellent 180° protection while you can also offend.

This would be good for even on a battlefield, walk up to machine gun nest or buy time for a sniper to remove them. Bring back Roman style shield offense (but a vehicle powering and moving a similar shield would be better obviously)

Problem with shields is they are big and bulky. Remove bulky part but keep protection and it becomes really good, the limiting part after that is the gun, you would have to wield it one handed unless you make a body project shield
>>
>>53350852
>Because you still have sides and back (and top and legs) and whoever chose to dedicate that weight to a bigger gun is going to put a round through that shield and you.

Ahh yes, my one weakness. If only the other soldiers who are with me who isn't carrying the shield would do his job and watch the flanks from enemies trying to sneak their way around!

>Powered armor is going to be inherently immune to civilian small arms fire. Like, that's literally the only reason for it at all. We already have armored suits that are practically immune to small arms fire and don't require servo motors and you don't need a fucking bolter to pacify a protest. Shields are only worth the immense effort if you know precisely the direction of the enemy or if you don't have to go anywhere. That's hallways and riots.

There's no reason to assume the armor itself is inherently resistant to small arms fire. It may just provide the strength and ability to add armor but that makes even less sense to stand their and take a bullet to the body if I can have something to block it with.

>Or you could just stand behind something like people manage now.

I suppose I could dismantle a building or flip over cars or try to move boulders in my way but hiding bhind a shield that I can plant into the ground works for what you said as well.
>>
>>53350852
>Or you could just stand behind something like people manage now.
That only works so long as someone isn't using something that can just chew through your cover. Something a bit sturdier than cinder blocks is always a good idea.
>>
>>53350928
>Ahh yes, my one weakness. If only the other soldiers who are with me who isn't carrying the shield would do his job and watch the flanks from enemies trying to sneak their way around!

Yes. You know, the reason why bullet proof vests work on the back too and tanks have armor in all directions. You can't control engagement direction and you won't. War is't a board game. You could also just lie down instead of being a giant target.

>There's no reason to assume the armor itself is inherently resistant to small arms fire.

Well, y'know, just the fact that it would be. Unless you just have a servo skeleton and a big ass shield, in which case wow you are going to lose that war when someone throws a shrapnel grenade into your cute little formation and kills everyone. Or artillery lands anywhere near you. Or someone gets to your side.

> It may just provide the strength and ability to add armor but that makes even less sense to stand their and take a bullet to the body if I can have something to block it with.

You know shields exist now. right? Like, a fucking bronze shield from 3000 BC stops a 9 mm bullet. A Kevlar and ceramic one would stop a 7.62. They don't use shields in war because that's fucking stupid.

>I suppose I could dismantle a building or flip over cars or try to move boulders in my way but hiding bhind a shield that I can plant into the ground works for what you said as well.

It will be a lovely grave marker.
>>
>>53336144
Where shield technology has reached a point where if can reasonably negate the chief weapons technology in use. Laser refraction, kinetic nullification, etc.
>>
>>53351014
>Yes. You know, the reason why bullet proof vests work on the back too and tanks have armor in all directions. You can't control engagement direction and you won't. War is't a board game. You could also just lie down instead of being a giant target.

Correct, so having a defensive barrier you can pick up and move around would be handy for adjusting your tactics

>Well, y'know, just the fact that it would be. Unless you just have a servo skeleton and a big ass shield, in which case wow you are going to lose that war when someone throws a shrapnel grenade into your cute little formation and kills everyone. Or artillery lands anywhere near you. Or someone gets to your side.

I never said or assumed that regular armor wouldn't be available or used only that having the bulk of the shield as armor seems like a waste when I can set it down and use something else. Does the exoskeleton that helps you carry weight itself add any inherent armor qualities by itself?

>You know shields exist now. right? Like, a fucking bronze shield from 3000 BC stops a 9 mm bullet. A Kevlar and ceramic one would stop a 7.62. They don't use shields in war because that's fucking stupid.

We also don't have power armor either nor do our enemies.
>>
>>53350782

Do you like 14/10/10 AV or 12/12/12?
>>
>>53351132
Hey, wagons are 14/12/10
>>
>>53351114
>Correct, so having a defensive barrier you can pick up and move around would be handy for adjusting your tactics

Now imagine if that barrier was, like, all around you and attached to you.

>I never said or assumed that regular armor wouldn't be available or used only that having the bulk of the shield as armor seems like a waste when I can set it down and use something else. Does the exoskeleton that helps you carry weight itself add any inherent armor qualities by itself?

If you know anything about servo based exoskeletons the answer is no. Those motors and power packs are delicate and need to be armored themselves, but that's only going to cover a minimal portion of your body.
http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/54cb22ffc91c6_-_exoskeletons-01-1213-de.jpg

You're going to be wearing at least the armor of a normal professional soldier. Likely considerably more since the armor will provide the power for active cooling and putting on another 100 pounds of kevlar and plates won't kill you like it would in real life.

>We also don't have power armor either nor do our enemies.

Medieval knights managed 100+ pound metal suits with shields. Shields are a perfectly doable military technology WITHOUT powered armor. We don't do it outside of specific situations because they are largely useless in a modern war. Powered armor suits would be too unless we discover a never ending power source or batteries get a LOT better then they are now.

Near term powered armor suits are going to be mostly used for SWAT like engagements or in situations like police actions when you don't need endurance. In that scenario you might see shields but they'll probably be made of bullet proof plastics like they are now and nothing like the OPs picture.

By the time technology like that exists fleets of drone grenades will be everywhere and war won't be cool.
>>
>>53350922

Let's throw in magic while we're at it since we're just gonna use bullshit tech.
>>
>>53351302
yes lets
>>
File: 220px-USMC_MP_SRT_MP5.jpg (18KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
220px-USMC_MP_SRT_MP5.jpg
18KB, 220x338px
>>53351014
>They don't use shields in war because that's fucking stupid.

SOMEONE AINT TACTICOOL ENOUGH
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.