[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You finally have your own spaceship. Mind you, it's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: 1249263383883.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1249263383883.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
You finally have your own spaceship.

Mind you, it's not a very GOOD spaceship. It's basically a bunch of sealed-up cargo containers with a stolen warp engine. It can't even into space on its own. But you managed to fire it up in open water (SUPER illegal btw), and warped until no one was following you anymore.

Now you're in unknown space, although someone probably lives here, judging by the well-maintained hyperspace lanes that you've been bouncing through.

What's your first instinct? To make contact, knowing you can't fight or run? To find some remote asteroid to mine, or unattended salvage to scrap into a more proper ship? To quietly slink back to mostly-known space and hope the authorities don't notice you?
>>
File: spaceout.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spaceout.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
>>53332543
Get as close to inhabited space as I can so I can resupply and steal their space internet.

Then find a nice comfy gas giant to orbit and live the NEET life, but in space.
>>
>>53332543
Fly to the edge of the solar system and get shot up by unidentified space planes, thus putting the story of Homeworld 1 into motion.
>>
File: Ufology.jpg (73KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ufology.jpg
73KB, 250x250px
>>53332543
>What's your first instinct?

Sit back, relax and wonder how I ever acquired a space boat and disregarded the constabulary without ever asking, "why?"
>>
Contact ALL the aliens!
>>
File: atum.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
atum.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
>>53332543
Acquire scrap and begin upgrading.
>>
>>53332543
Build.
>>
>>53332543
Tune into the news, listen for accidents and skirmishes.
Warp into the closest and most recent one
aquire better ship. If damaged, repair with old ship parts.
Appear as a long starnded survivor who bumped into the wreckage.
Use my public image to hold onto the ship or to force the owners of the ship to give me a different one.
I am now in possesion of a better ship, have the ability to fly anywhere without the feds going after me and I have eneugh recognition to pick up women at bars.
I proceed to enjoy my life.
>>
>>53332543
Roll on the ship quirks table.
>>
>>53332575
Ideally it would also have blue or green women on one of the moons.
>>
I'm not going to be able to evade the local authorities forever. Especially if I don't know who they are.

So step 1 is finding out who runs this volume of space. Step 2 is finding out what I am allowed to do here without causing problems for myself.
>>
>>53340601
>due to corroded coolant seals, the engine room contains an overwhelming smell of vomit
>>
>>53340601
>>53342101
Are we starting this again?

> The portside recycler leaks from somewhere. No matter how many seals or pipes you replace, it still leaks. The captain has taken to aerobraking to avoid having to send someone to chip frozen shit off the hull.
> The ship came with a fridge sealed with biohazard tape and chained to the wall. The previous owner said it came with the ship when he got it, too. Sometimes, it makes noises.
>>
>>53332543
>Khar Selim
>not a good spaceship
fight me faggot
>>
>>53343623
>the ship was originally designed as an unmanned vehicle; the life support systems and manual controls were added later
>the AI is still conflicted about the modifications. Privately she's glad to finally have some company on long voyages, even though publicly she insists that organic life is disgusting and she functioned better without you
>incidentally, she hates it when you call her tsundere
>>
>>53332543
>the well-maintained hyperspace lanes

Oh, are there any well maintained planetary orbits as well? How about the gravity assist paths? Do they pave them on a regular schedule? I hope the wormhole maintenance is top notch as well, gotta keep them well scrubbed.
>>
>>53344516
A hyperspace lane may require exotic technology to create and constant expediture of energy to maintain, else it collapses.
Stop sperging about words that may have different meaning for OP and in your head.
>>
>>53344516
>why should I have to pay taxes, I can just drive around these stars
>>
>>53344516
It's all jokes until you hit a micrometeor at .9c because no one kept the lanes clean.
>>
>>53344585
OP already talked about using a warp drive for hyperspace lane travel, so he's clearly confused.

>>53344619
You can. Or do you expect the government, whatever it may be, to have lane clearing craft picking up cosmic trash that may clutter up their precious hyperspace lanes?

>>53344646
Fair enough, but do you really expect someone to go around space and pick up every single micrometeor for lightyears at a time?
>>
The reactor is a centrifugal pebble bed thorium reactor.

Only problem is once its shut down you have to spin up the reactor manually before it engages properly

Hence the two stroke briggs and saturn with a belt and pulley on the centrifuge
>>
>>53344996
If we accept the existence of warp engines, I don't see why a gravitational scoop is implausible.
>>
File: 1486190520100.jpg (36KB, 440x595px) Image search: [Google]
1486190520100.jpg
36KB, 440x595px
>>53345091
>Hence the two stroke briggs and saturn with a belt and pulley on the centrifuge
>>
Can somebody link to the quirk table?
>>
My favorite quirk has always been the oversized sideways mounted ftl drive causing the shio to enter ftl sideways.
>>
>>53344996
>Fair enough, but do you really expect someone to go around space and pick up every single micrometeor for lightyears at a time?

YES, at least in the fucking hyperspace lanes. There are special ships for it, with armoured scoops on the front and tractor beams to move debris.
You've also got to stop relativistic debris from hitting planets. A micrometeor is one thing, but a micrometer hitting a planet at .9C could kill billions.

>>53345768
It's not 'sideways', it's 'transverse'. And you're not 'warping sideways', you're just 'presenting a full broadside on exit'.

>>53344036
>>53343623
The 'scrapheap' aesthetic went a bit far with this ship. Some parts only seem to stay together because of gravitational and magnetic attraction. Every so often, someone has to go out on the hull to re-polarise the armour plates so they stay down, using a big electromagnet taped to a broom.

The humble broom survives into the space age, though. Even if it's plastics and metals instead of wood and horse hair, or has an attached vacuum and filter to capture dust, a broom is a broom. Dust happens, and so you will need a broom.
The very fanciest models are reinforced to last twice as long when being used as a blunt instrument.

There are rumours of a habitat orbiting out near Pluto. It was a model community, until one day someone hurled a rubber ball retrograde. Coriolis forces and rotating surfaces gave the already unpredictable bouncing more randomness, and advanced material technology meant it bounced harder and faster.
The habitat had to be abandoned due to the constant terror of the Ball. Soon after, it vented atmosphere as the ball hit a control switch. Some day the habitat is still there, with the ball still bouncing in the frictionless hard vacuum.
>>
>>53347037
>The humble broom survives into the space age, though. Even if it's plastics and metals instead of wood and horse hair, or has an attached vacuum and filter to capture dust, a broom is a broom. Dust happens, and so you will need a broom.
>The very fanciest models are reinforced to last twice as long when being used as a blunt instrument.
but if I've changed the handle, the broom, and the de-ionizing ventricle, is it still the same broom?
>>
>>53347175
Doesn't matter, you voided the warranty by doing the labor yourself.
>>
>>53345292
Seconded
>>
>>53332543
Find salvage from old space battles, use them to keep my cargo containers from separating.
>>
>>53347037
>YES, at least in the fucking hyperspace lanes. There are special ships for it, with armoured scoops on the front and tractor beams to move debris.
>You've also got to stop relativistic debris from hitting planets. A micrometeor is one thing, but a micrometer hitting a planet at .9C could kill billions.

Do you comprehend how big space is? Do you? It's not exactly your medium sized city where you can have a handful of street sweepers go around every day. Imagine that instead of that 20 mile round that each sweeper has to do each day they would have to go and sweep the whole Pacific ocean, and the ocean isn't sitting still, each time they pass, currents bring in new shit from elsewhere.

Micrometeors, even if they have a reason for going 0.9c, which I doubt 99.999999999999% of them do, weigh less than a gram. If I didn't butcher my calculations, a 1 gram object moving at 1c slamming into earth at 1c would have a yield of only about 2,7 kilotons of TNT, provided the meteor is stopped by earth - it leaves all it's energy behind here. And this is the absolute worst case scenario. With a smaller stopping distance (2000km instead of 12000 - the diameter of the Earth), the yield increases to up to about 18 kiloton - roughly the Fat Man explosion, but spread across 2000 km. We can play around with the values more, but you can clearly see that it would not in any way be a planetary scale apocalypse.
>>
>>53347175
Only if you didn't change them all at once. The original thingyness and personality of the broom seeps into replacement parts over time.
>>
>>53351893
Micrometer, not micrometeor. Y'know, the measuring tool?

Anyway. There are hyperspace lanes. Those need to be swept clear with tractor beams. I bet you object to the speeding fines, landing charges, and paying for pure water, don't you?
>>
>>53352914
>Micrometer, not micrometeor. Y'know, the measuring tool?
Again disregarding that nothing like that would ever have any reason to reach such speeds, at such a speed it will probably rip a hole through the planet. But it would never reach such a speed.

> I bet you object to the speeding fines, landing charges, and paying for pure water, don't you?
Nope, not an anarchist. But you still don't seem to grasp the scale difference of what you are talking about. You seem to think paving taxes to have paved roads and paying taxes to have people go around the Pacific picking up plastic bottles are equal.
If the hyperspace has similar properties as regular space, there will be space trash flying around there as well. The thing is that space trash doesn't just float on your precious "hyperspace lanes", it orbits larger objects in the hyperspace and thus may only come across a "lane" once in a millenia, maybe eon. You can't possibly "sweep clear" the whole fucking cosmos of space trash.

Do you understand that both warp and hyperspace travel are meant to not reach the speed of light, but to bypass that limitation?
Warp warps the space around the warp drive so the actual ship does not move per se, but is folding the space around it to travel, like when the lace comes out of a hoodie, you stretch the fabric around the lace to move the lace back through the channel.
Hyperspace, what you seem to be so keen on, consists of entering another dimension, where the distances between two points are much shorter than in our three dimensional space. You wouldn't be moving at relativistic speeds, you would be travelling just like you would in our space, but after exiting hyperspace you will have travelled a much longer distance in our 3D space. Kind of like minecraft uses the hell thing where each block you travel = 10 or something blocks in the surface world.
>>
File: ringworld.jpg (57KB, 384x540px) Image search: [Google]
ringworld.jpg
57KB, 384x540px
>>53353124
Ringworlds
>>
>>53353124
I understand that you're fucking stupid, but please, stop posting.
>>
>>53353124
>But it would never reach such a speed.
famous last words
>>
File: 49c.png (222KB, 381x313px) Image search: [Google]
49c.png
222KB, 381x313px
>>53353795
Great arguments, I concur.
>>
>>53353865
By what force would a tool reach relativistic speeds in outer space? Not saying it's a theoretical impossibility, but please enlighten me.
>>
>>53354104
Someone left it outside the ship when jumping to warp and it got flung off at a significant fraction of C.
>>
>>53354196
You don't seem to understand that warp is folding space, not accelerating at relativistic speeds. What exactly would happen is left to anyone's imagination, but "getting flung off at a fraction of c" doesn't seem very plausible. If it got left behind an engine boosting at a significant fraction of c, it would be a different story, but the amount of force to make that happen is astronomical.
>>
>>53354323
And as your ship moves across space, at impressive speed relative to non-warp objects, regardless of how it got up to that speed, if something falls off it's going to be moving at a pretty good clip itself. Or the initial folding of space might involve a lot of energy right around the ship, capable of imparting great speed on loose items in the vicinity.

Hell, maybe those 'warp lanes' you initially sperged over are actual, set paths through subspace, needed to make warp travel efficient and yes, requiring some form of maintenance.
>>
>mfw there are people talking about ftl travel methods as if it was all real and set in stone.
>>
>>53354453
>Hell, maybe those 'warp lanes' you initially sperged over are actual, set paths through subspace, needed to make warp travel efficient and yes, requiring some form of maintenance.
What the fuck are you even saying anymore? Never in this thread has anyone mentioned "warp lanes". If anything were to "fall off" during warp, then the warp bubble would most likely spaghettify the shit out of it to the point where once it exits the bubble, it's just a stream of particles. If it were to fall off in hyperspace, nothing would happen, it would float off into hyperspace.
You're the one spouting out mixed phrases the meaning of which you don't comprehend and your loony toons level of understanding of physics doesn't help.

>>53354481
It's not set in stone, but one can theorize over the known aspects associated with said methods.
>>
>>53354524
OMG you're a fucking retard, see >>53332543
>judging by the well-maintained hyperspace lanes that you've been bouncing through.

What, did calling them warp instead of hyperspace really throw off your autism that much? It's all the same shit, excuses for being able to get around a sci-fi setting faster than we can now.
>>
>>53354613
>What, did calling them warp instead of hyperspace really throw off your autism that much?
Yes, because warp and hyperspace travel are two entirely different things you absolute mong. You're saying it's perfectly logical to call a railroad a plane track.

Thank you for confirming that your IQ is somewhere below your shoe size, now I know it's pointless to keep going.
>>
Find a planet, go to a bar, and use "hey baby, I've got a spaceship" as a pickup line.
>>
>>53354636
Ah yes, because all of this talk never originated in anything like, say, Islands of Space, where a warp drive just gets you into hyperspace. Totally unrelated concepts, glad to see you're too smart to ever mix them up like I did.
>>
File: 1480787668545.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480787668545.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>>53332575
t.
>>
Is there any game out there that let's you play as space hobos/salvagers?
If possible something a bit beefier than Edge of the Empire.
>>
>>53355153
Uhh, Starbound maybe? Pretty much terraria in spess.
>>
>>53355170
thanks for the info, but I was looking for tabletop.
>>
>>53355292
Must have forgotten what board this was, my bad. Not familiar with many Sci-fi tabletops, so can't help with that sadly.
>>
>>53355153
Traveller, GURPS.
>>
>>53355153
EVE Online.
You start off with a worthless ship and a fistful of assets. The tutorial missions give you enough ships and money to buy a slightly better ship, and you're basically abandoned into a big unfriendly galaxy from there. You can mine asteroids, run missions for NPCs, trade, manufacture, whatever.
Or get ganked repeatedly by assholes. Or BE an asshole ganker!
>>
>>53355153

Classic Traveller, best multi-purpose sci-fi system
>>
>>53332543
>What's your first instinct?

Pull a final horizon knock off?
>>
>>53352914
Yeah but it's paid for with taxation.

and taxation is space-theft
>>
>>53356079
The thing with EVE is, simply by having the babby shitbucket ship you start with you are in the .0001% of the universe and rich as hell. You are never on the Firefly, trying to find enough money to fuel your ship. You start as some hybrid of Boba Fett and Bill Gates and just get richer and more powerful from there.
>>
>>53360417
>You are never on the Firefly, trying to find enough money to fuel your ship

Only if you're good at it and have friends.
>>
thanks for the answers, guys.
never played Traveller, I,ll give it a try.
>>
>>53354636
Holy shit man, your are the most autistic fuck i've ever seen after reading all your posts, you sound like the kind of guy who sits around arguing that star trek is better than star wars or some shit with people who don't care.
>>
>>53332543
Make captian Kirk proud and fuck as many alien bitches as possible, until I die from space AIDS.
>>
>>53347037
>A micrometeor is one thing, but a micrometer hitting a planet at .9C could kill billions.
28 kilotons detonating in the high atmosphere isn't going to kill billions.
>>
>>53362086
It entirely depends on the planet, doesn't it? I mean, if, say, half a kilo of metal smacks through an orbital colony going .9C, then you're going to have chunks of it hitting the ground.

Now stop sperging out.
>>
>>53332543
Try to find business as a courier service. Probably start with illegal goods/smuggling and try and go legit later if possible.

I figure it's as close as NEET I can get while having a reasonable way to finance my lifestyle and ship maintenance.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.