[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is out there any system (or a set of house rules) to make exciting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Is out there any system (or a set of house rules) to make exciting MMA fights? Most systems are shit when it comes to grappling or counterpunching.
>>
>>53304544
Anima Beyond Fantasy has extensive martial arts rules once you get the dominus exxet expansion book. its also a rad system but its as crunchy as they come.
>>
File: flow1.jpg (30KB, 580x427px) Image search: [Google]
flow1.jpg
30KB, 580x427px
Technical grappling is anything but exciting tho
>>
>>53304544
The Street Fighter Storyteller game is supposed to have great combat that includes grappling and counters.
>>
>>53304544
rock/paper/scissors
>>
>>53304544
Song of Swords.
>>
>>53304544

Fuckit, let's try to make something.

>What makes MMA fighting exciting?
As I can tell there are three elements we should concern ourselves with;
- Conservation of energy: good fighters know when to press the attack, when to play defensively, and it is exciting when someone chooses to do so at just the right time (Florian's technical shutdown of one opponent's emotionally drive flurry comes to mind)
- The unexpected reversal: catching an aggressive catch with a knee, the spinning backfist which actually hits something, escaping from turtle to take a dominant position
- Technical exhibition: for lack of a better term. I'm thinking about the stupid shit like hurricane kicks, fancy guard passes, spinning whatevers. This isn't necessarily good/effective fighting but it is part of what makes MMA exciting to watch for sure.

>Design goals
We want a system in which a player has to manage a resource for their exhaustion (which is a realistic limitor to many fights), in which they can attempt to anticipate opponent strategies and react accordingly (aggressive when they're on their heels, weather an attack, press an advantage etc.), and has codified methodologies which are more exciting than "I punch after his punch and hope he gets punched".

>Ranges
This is from personal background, one of the things I was taught was how to guage one's range from an opponent. My instructor chose to break it down thus, and it may be useful in making a game;
- Clinch - the range at which only elbows/knees/head are going to be remotely effective, and then only remotely. Grappling range. This is the range at which you are going to frequently taste their sweat.
- Close - The range at which knees/elbows are king, with short strikes (close hooks, uppercuts) having a place. While in motion, this is the range you want to start normal punches because inevitably an opponent is going to try to move out of range.
Cont.
>>
>>53309010

- Punching - The range at which you're starting kicks and want to land punches. If you can casually reach out and touch their face, this is punching range. Any closer and you're gonna be in the Close/Clinch liminal range.
- Kicking - This is where you want kicks to connect. Can't reach 'em with hands unless you're a gorilla. If you're a gorilla, why are you reading this, go back to shucking bananas, that's the good life, not this nonsense.

>How To Do The Fight Making Stuff Punch
I'm thinking that on your turn, a player chooses to do things like;
- Close/Back Off
- Initiate a Technique (shoot for the knees, combination, turtle up)

I'm thinking that techniques and such can be opposed (or not). If you're trying to pull away, and he's trying to come in, well, roll it off and see whose footwork is better or who is faster.

I'm thinking each Technique has an Action Point cost or some shit, with some letting you "recharge" them? You can probably spend AP to bump up rolls (there's always someone powering their way through a technique, which is fine if you end up finishing the fight with it, but otherwise you're burnt out).

These are my thoughts. Is this worthwhile?
>>
>>53309107
You describe something good for kick boxing, but you are leaving the grappling

Exhaustion is a huge factor, especially when fighting in the clinch. For example, explosive guys like Connor can't KO a man if they are exhausted in the later rounds (as seen vs Nate), so the best thing for them is to headhunt as soon as posible.
>>
>>53309107
For sure it's worth it my man. I would love a nice set of house rules for my cage fighting scenes
>>
>>53304831
This. So much of this.
>>
>>53304831
Link?
>>
>>53309756
>>53192516
>>
>>53304544
Hero System has a pretty complex martial arts system. But it has a pretty complex everything.
>>
>>53304640
Second.
>>53311789
Hero System's chargen makes Anima's chargen look like 5e's chargen.
>>
>>53312658
Character design is pretty easy. Provided you have access to the right software.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.