[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>3d20, pick lowest - Apprentice level of skill mastery >3d20,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: 3d20.png (133KB, 1134x794px) Image search: [Google]
3d20.png
133KB, 1134x794px
>3d20, pick lowest - Apprentice level of skill mastery
>3d20, pick middle - Journeyman level of skill mastery
>3d20, pick highest - Master level of skill mastery

Bad idea or very bad idea?
If you are averse to d20, feel free to replace it with another type of die, as long as it's a Platonic solid.
>>
>>53304441
I feel the difference between the three is way too huge to make this system interesting, at least with d20.
But I like the overall idea.
>>
>>53304441
3d3 exploding
>>
>>53305301
I've had a different idea that's a bit more complex, but more coherent in terms of TN diffculties.

Basically,
>base die is d6
>[Stat Rank] equals amount of dice rolled
>[Skill Rank] equals amount of dice kept
>Stat and Skill ranks range from 1 to 6
So basically, you roll Xd6kY to beat a TN. It seems like a good system on paper, but I never got around to graph it properly.
>>
>>53305371
This way, [Skill Rank] hardcaps your roll, while [Stat Rank] softcaps your roll. So it's always crucial to keep your [Skill Rank] less or equal to your [Stat Rank].
It's pretty interesting to look at, to be honest.
>>
Why do people spend so much time obsessing over random stats generation that then reduces the randomness? Ask yourself why you want random stats in the first place.
>>
File: 1452987457498.jpg (76KB, 491x565px)
1452987457498.jpg
76KB, 491x565px
>>53305699
>random stats
>>
>>53305699
We're talking about the resolution mechanic, you dummy. Not random stats.
>>
>>53305371
So basically the roll and keep system on a d6.
Which is a system that I love, so no worries.
On a related note, here's a system that I was thinking about:
>stats, number of d10's you roll
>skills, bonus you add to each die. High enough skills also add a few dice when using them.
>compare each die to TN, each one over is a success
To make things easier to get successes, I'm adding Task Chains: you declare a chain and the end result you want, you then roll a few times with different skills (or the same one), count your successes on each roll, and each one adds a die to your pool for the final roll.
So you can intimidate your enemy, test their defenses over a few rounds, then go for the final decisive blow.
What does /tg/ think?
>>
>>53306770

While mechanically interesting, I think it fails the smell test for tabletop practicality. It is not interesting enough in either act or resolution to justify spending sequentially more time.

If X = time to resolve one roll
and Y = the number of links in the chain
then I think X(Y) is going to get slow very soon; the payoff for that much tabletime would have to be commiserate.
>>
>>53309448
If task chains are the main issue, what would you change to make them less required to gain an overwhelming number of successes?
What would you change about this system in general?
>>
>>53310380
You could potentially do it like this:
>every roll is based on a single type of die, like >>53305371 does
>task chains is adding up the rXkX values
>so if task 1 requires a rA1kB1 check with TN equal to X1
>and task 2 requires a rA2kB2 check with TN equal to X2
>and task 3 requires a rA3kB3 check with TN equal to X3
>then the task chain (1+2+3) requires a r(A1+A2+A3)k(B1+B2+B3) check
>and you can choose how to allocate the result of the check
>for example, let's say you rolled an 80, and the separate TNs are 30 for X1, 40 for X2 and 50 for X3 respectively
>you can spend the 80 on succeeding X1 and X3, or X1 and X2 because 80>=(X1+X2) or (X1+X3)
>let's say you chose to succeed X1 and X3, spending the entirety of your "success points"
>but this will result in critfailing X2, because you allocated 0 into its success
>so you can instead choose to succeed at only 1 task, but fail at other 2 but not as spectacularly
Basically, task chaining means you use the sum of required numbers and then allocate it as you see fit. Of course, it works only if you have some sort of Measure of Success (i.e. the difference between the result rolled and the TN) influence.
>>
>>53310710
I think that is just as confusing.
Okay, lemme explain my system so far.
Pick a stat, that is the die pool for the roll. So far, I'm looking at 2-3 being average. Pick a skill, and add its level to each die result as a bonus. Compare the result of each die to the TN and each die equal or greater is a success. Task chains allow you to set up a roll to have more dice at once.
Example: fighter Bob is fighting a duel. His strength and agility are 3 each, Sword skill at 3 and defense at... Whatever number is derived from the yet to be determined method.
So, Bob is facing a tough guy. Bob needs a lot of successes to get past his defenses, and sets up a chain. He first intimidates the guy and gets two successes. Instead of trying to go against the will defense of the guy, he saves them. Then he tests his defenses for a few rounds, getting one and three successes, saving them as well. In between all this, he's also defending himself.
Then he does his final roll, with six extra dice, each die getting a +3 bonus. He can get up to nine successes if I don't have exploding dice (or 10 again as WW calls it).
With explosions, it might be more viable to most players to spam attack rolls until an explosion happens.
>>
File: 1462446232666.jpg (20KB, 255x219px)
1462446232666.jpg
20KB, 255x219px
>>53305316
>>
>>53305371
That's basically roll and keep from L5R, which is a very nice system in how its put together and tying crunch to fluff.
>>
>>53305316
wew lad
>>
>>53311302
Huh.
We might be onto something here, guys.
>>
>>53311500
Just how deep does the rabbit hole go?
>>
>>53311549
>>53311500
>>53311302
>2d[explode d[explode d[explode d[explode d[explode d2]]]]]
Should I do it?
>>
>>53304441
apprentice 1d20
journeyman 2d20 pick high
master 3d20 pick high
>>
>>53305301
You'll get similar but finer-grained curves with pic related.
>>
>>53311579
YES
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.