[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any systems out there for running an RP game set in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: 15-02-05-14-31_0_large_photo.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
15-02-05-14-31_0_large_photo.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
Are there any systems out there for running an RP game set in the Dark Souls universe?
>>
No, it shouldn't be hard to accommodate one of the games you're already playing to it.

Try Riddle of Steel.
>>
>>53293018
Not any specifically for it. You could go with generic fantasy setting with a few house rules. Not sure how lethal you'd want to make it. I just don't really see any way to balance it so it won't just be "rocks fall and everyone dies".
>>
>>53293018
literally any game run by a dickish GM will do fine
>>
File: 1377886829932.pdf (123KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1377886829932.pdf
123KB, 1x1px
>>
GURPS
>>
>>53293018
What parts of Dark Souls are most important for you in a Dark Souls game?
>>
There's a setting for Dungeon World that is pretty much DS.
Also there's an official game coming in Japan... like tomorrow
>>
You're basically asking for an OSR game but instead of focusing on stealing treasure, resource management, and avoiding battles the focus is on battles and combat resource management.
Uh...
Maybe try DnD 4e and homebrew the HP bloat away?
>>
File: darksouls1280jpg-98f75c_1280w.jpg (305KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
darksouls1280jpg-98f75c_1280w.jpg
305KB, 1280x720px
>>53293660
Ha.

>>53293856
I think I'd have to say the most important part of the Souls series to me would be the story/lore of the world and the themes involved.
>>
>>53294914
Fate, then, it's a perfect fit.
>>
File: 1491837301381.gif (1MB, 300x233px) Image search: [Google]
1491837301381.gif
1MB, 300x233px
>>53293018
>this thread again
a game set in the dark souls world would be boring. There is no meat to the setting, we only know about characters not the world at large. "carim has warriors" and "astora has religion" is not enough information for a fleshed out world. If you want a "dark souls" game just run a very dark fantasy game with low-magic. Or use ADND 2e.
>>
File: 1473290409616.jpg (314KB, 900x1538px) Image search: [Google]
1473290409616.jpg
314KB, 900x1538px
>>53293018

Mechanically speaking? Almost anything, even DnD, works.

Super difficult combat based around moderately hard enemies, super blatantly enemy-advantageous encounters, and big ass bosses that will regularly one-shot your party if they approach unprepared.

Obligatory mimics everywhere.

> I smash the chest in the middle of the room
> It was a normal chest with a longsword and a potion inside
> I leave then
> The door is closed
> I open it?
> It bites your hand off. Roll initiative

etc

Entire party is Revenants. They revive at the last [bonfire mechanic] they were at when they die, losing any gear they had but keeping EXP for everything up until the failed encounter.

Certain (rare) magic gear revives with them or near them. Soul-bound type stuff.

I wouldn't use the setting as-is. Maybe take inspiration from it and carry over a few characters, but you'll have to pretty much write a new setting to use.
>>
>>53295991
If you want to use the undeath thing, it's best to attach it to a sanity mechanic. If you die enough times, the trauma builds up and you become an aggressive NPC controlled by the dm. So permadeath still exists.
There'd be ways to alleviate this before you get to that point, of course. Like were it exactly dark soul's hollowing, then humanity could help restore some sanity.
>>
>>53296091

I mean with how my party plays they would accumulate insanity for themselves faster than their characters would anyways.

But yeah some form of permadeath would have to be included. Maybe after x number of respawns the magic of the thing they are respawning at simply fades, laying on the pressure at the drop of a hat and making the next run really intense.
>>
File: 1009wQ2WcsEmBO.gif (2MB, 600x376px) Image search: [Google]
1009wQ2WcsEmBO.gif
2MB, 600x376px
>>53295289
>Dark Souls doesn't have a fleshed out world

U havin a giggle m8?
>>
>>53293018
You're not looking for a system, you're looking for a tone/style. Any generic fantasy system will work for a Dark Souls game, but if you can't capture the tone properly then it won't be a Dark Souls game at all.
>>
>>53296776
This. Always baffling when someone makes this thread and then people start jumping on how to make the game super lethal or make the combat extra crunchy.
>>
>>53293573
>Form of the Hawk – Enables you to turn into a hawk, giving the ability to fly and peck at your
opponent's weak spots

wat
>>
>>53295991
Basically this - Souls is a way of worldbuilding and storytelling, and a set of narrative conventions. I've thought of doing it pretty much this way in 5e - maybe with some iconic Souls spells and items as homebrew materials.
>>
>>53293573

Nice and punchy, I like
>>
File: Nechronica.png (162KB, 497x586px) Image search: [Google]
Nechronica.png
162KB, 497x586px
I personally recommend Nechronica to Dark Souls fans. It's a great game, and it surprisingly and creatively touches on many of the same central themes as From's games.
>>
>>53295991
>Obligatory mimics everywhere.
Only in DS3, really.
>>
>>53295289
This
>>53296574
Of course it doesn't. Tell me, what do we know about DS1 era world outside of Lordran? Almost nothing, and definitely no specifics. Hell, we don't know as much about Lordran itself as well with all the "time is convoluted" bullshit. Sure, you can make things up, but such a thing as proper developed Dark Souls universe doesn't exist.
>>
>>53296776
This. And the thing about Dark Souls is, it heavily relies on loneliness and isolation, the characters are all sole survivors struggling to not lose their sanity. It's hard to make it work with a whole party of players.
>>
F.A.T.A.L.
But in all seriousness DnD 1E.
>>
File: Platemail.rules.v1.b.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Platemail.rules.v1.b.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>53293018
I'd give Platemail a go. You might need to houserule the character options a little bit but that's incredibly easy. For my vaguely soul-ish game I remove classes and have players choose between gaining a combat die or a magic die when they level up
>>
File: IMG_0211.jpg (153KB, 640x910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.jpg
153KB, 640x910px
>>53293018
Yes.
>>
>>53303595
Just out of curiosity, are TTRPGs a popular thing in Japan?
>>
>>53303609
Popular enough.
>>
File: Iudex_Gundyr.jpg (119KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Iudex_Gundyr.jpg
119KB, 960x540px
SHOW ME YOUR TRUE COLORS
>>
>>53296091
>>53296447
Perma-death defeats the purpose of playing in a Souls setting though.

Just add some kind of punishment for dying. Stat reduction down to a minimum, gear breaks, they lose souls/something else, etc.
>>
>>53303695
>Perma-death defeats the purpose of playing in a Souls setting though
Follow lore, not video game mechanics.

Going full hollow and losing your mind is the "permadeath" mechanic.
>>
>>53293037
This is what I did, with a little fiddling. Mostly with the magic system.
>>
>>53300867
There were even more in 2. 1 is the only one where they don't show up until like halfway through the game.
>>
>>53303775
>Going full hollow and losing your mind is the "permadeath" mechanic.
Then I guess permadeath/hallowing could occur once you've lost a certain number of souls?

i.e. You had 100 souls when you died. You need to get 100, either through retrieval or combat, and get 25 additional souls to keep from hallowing the next time you die. The cost to stave off hallowing could go up and up, add in the fact that souls need to be spent to level and you have a very punishing mechanic that would still keep the themes of a Souls setting.
>>
>>53303866
I would actually tie it to a sanity mechanic, which is then in turned tied with the collection of souls.
>>53303595 comes out tomorrow, it'd be interesting to see what it does if some anon gets hold of a copy and translates parts of it.

It'd be even better if it gets an official release in the west, given how popular both RPGs and DS are outside Japan.
>>
>>53303953
Do you think it will give us some more lore info? Is FromSoft even involved in it?
>>
I'd do some sort of determination mechanic, except instead of it being a mono-stat, it would have sub-stats in the form of goals.

Whenever you need to, you can draw on your determination, as long as it is to finish one of your goals.

But once you finish a goal (or you are convinced that the goal is impossible to finish, which could be the result of losing after drawing on that determination) you lose the points attributed to that specific goal.

You go hollow once you lost all.
>>
>>53302491
Well
Anor londo exists.
And there are tons of scrolls and books everywhere
But the world is new comparatively.
Your character is also not a historian, you also walk everywhere never leaving its borders.

You only meet npcs who are crazy enough to travel really far. Thus we really don't Learn that much about other places. The biggest parts of countries are the things that we are able to learn about.
It's like how most people view America as a country of gun nuts and fat people. Because those people are the ones to stand out. But there are tons of different people in America. Dark souls is pretty deep and full of history, but we never read anything, because we are a warrior.

I also noticed how you said ds1 only, and this is because the world of ds1 is very new.
Ds2 takes place in a different county with different customs that has been around longer.
And darks souls 3 takes place in a world where a huge amount of time has past.

The dark souls games are full of lore, what are you smoking breh.
>>
>>53304034
It's at least being published by a reputable publisher, so it's not like it's some Kindle store self published fan work. No one really knows anything about it other than it's officially licensed, even the page about it on the publisher's site doesn't hype anything about it up at all.
>>
>>53304089
>It's full of lore, it's just that they've never showed it us so nobody knows it!
The games are only full of potential lore, which is never given to us properly, only in random bits. And we know close to nothing about the world outside of gameplay area. I asked about DS1 era just to simplify it. Sure, they have potential for great lore but for now there really isn't any and it's hard to talk about "Dark Souls universe" that OP wanted when we know only small isolated fragments of said universe, which additionally from what we know have completely messed up spacetime.
>>
>>53294033

Not OP, but got any links to the DS Dungeon World or that official Japanese game?
>>
>>53303609
Sort of, but they're very railroady by our standards - Japanese people generally don't get a lot of free time, so they're more about getting a story done in a reasonable space of time.
>>
>>53306251
Jrpgs prove you fucking wrong
>>
>>53306439
Yes, JRPGs can be endurance tests, but they're generally linear.

>>53304248
I feel like if I ran a Dark Souls I would get with my players and ask them to chip in for making the lore "outside" the areas we see in the games. I think the fun part of running a Soulsborne game is actually expanding upon it and going beyond what you go through in the games, using the tidbits the games give you as a jumping off point.
>>
>>53303595
I hope someone provides scans.
>>
>>53304663
No, sadly. The Dungeon World setting is Cold Ruins of Lastlife.
>>
>>53304663
The official Japanese game hasn't even been released yet.

Well, now it has.
>>
File: Autism.gif (3MB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.gif
3MB, 500x374px
>>53304663
I dunno, but Dungeon World seems too simplistic for Dark Souls Combat, that and the games about as complex as a ham sandwich... without butter.

It does suffer from alot of things I've noticed with newer RPGs [D&D 5.e for instance] where its too simple to the point where you feel its designed to be played by Hipsters who think 4.e is too complex for them.
>>
I've been plotting an homage to dark souls in my pathfinder game funny enough. Set it in a lost kingdom (drawn from a previous game i'd played in), where the sorcerer-king ended up shattering time for the kingdom as a final ultimate fuck you to an invasion that tried to force him to choose between kingdom and family. Everybody is locked in a moment in time...just not everybody is in the same moment.

I was thinking if a party member dies they simply get banished to a different moment in time, and are making a will save that gets harder each time they "die" to prevent mental stat loss, where if they lose all of a given stat thats it, they lose themself and effectively "go hollow"

Any thoughts on how to make that work?
>>
>>53312621
>if a party member dies they simply get banished to a different moment in time
As in split off all the PCs into their own little worlds?

Yeah that doesn't sound like an absofuckinglutely terrible idea that will only end up with bored and frustrated players.
>>
>>53312621
>my pathfinder game
Ugh.

>Save or stat-loss
Ugh.

I sincerely hope you aren't making Wisdom the stat to be lost, otherwise you're making a death spiral. You're also unnecessarily punishing those with a low Will save. Why not the higher of Fortitude and Will?

I won't even touch on the problem of fracturing the party. That's just a terrible idea all-around.
>>
File: 1.png (1KB, 80x137px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1KB, 80x137px
>>53295289
I imagine the way to circumvent this problem would be to set up an in game area your players have access to, and to flesh out the history of that area, while leaving other locations vague and revealing information only as the players discover it: i.e. how things are done in the actual games. If you want your players to be able to explore the whole world when it's in a functional state then yeah, you're going to have to come up with a lot of stuff to flesh out places like Astora, but otherwise you can recreate the games' approach by putting them in a finite area and revealing lore through perception and knowledge roles and whatever your NPCs dump.
Furthermore, while the world of Dark Souls as a whole isn't greatly fleshed out, that doesn't mean any game ran in it has to be boring: the games give you enough to build on to create an interesting setting. The problem you're describing is even something that's more prevalent in the first game than its sequels, which revealed way more about their lore locations. I really didn't like Dark Souls 2 but I'd dare say it has the best world building in the series.
The problem can be circumvented entirely if you do take the Dark Souls 2 approach and just set the world in an unknown time period where the kingdoms that have arisen are entirely new ones, while still drawing on the fundamental workings of the world like souls and the different types of magic.
>>
Just play OD&D with infinite lives.
>>
>>53312390
I don't think the combat is the problem. The "black box" system of Dungeon World means the GM can make the combat appear deeper than it really is, and arbitrarily reward players who act more "tactically".

It's more about the character creation. Dungeon World classes explicitly dictate which situations you can be useful in, so everyone is forced into a concrete role from the start and can't really build their character in a divergent way.

Which is fine if it's supposed to be aping D&D, where rogues check for traps, rangers track monsters, and bards parley with NPCs.
But it would be terrible for Dark Souls, where people expect to be self-sufficient, challenges can always be solved eventually by trial-and-error, and characters are built in wildly outlandish ways as a form of self-expression.
>>
>>53293053
>I just don't really see any way to balance it so it won't just be "rocks fall and everyone dies".
Hard enemies that require teamwork, thinking, and planning to defeat. You will probably die nine times out of ten. Death just means you respawn, go a little more mad from hollowing, and teleport back to a bonfire.
>>
>>53303804
DS1 has three mimics base game, one DLC, the first not showing up until almost halfway in the game.
DS2 has five mimics base game, one DLC, with the first not showing up until the beginning of the second third of the game.
DS3 has twelve mimics, all base game, the first showing up as th first chest in the entire game.
DeS and BB have no mimics, God bless their souls.
>>
>>53314125
Bullshit. I can count at least three mimics in anor londo alone in DS1.
In the spoopy room with havel, and a pair upstairs inside the castle, another in the early loot rooms near the first bonfire, plus the dukes archive one, the sens fortress one...I'm pretty sure theres a sixth though I cannot remember if I'm mixing it up with a DLC mimic or not.
>>
>>53295289
I'm not so sure about that my dude, even Salt & Sanctuary which is literally notDarkSouls has a 40-page long lore book compiled by a guy from r*ddit using in-game information.
>>
>>53314236
Could be dependent on whether you are playing the original or Prepare to Die edition. There is some differences between the two.
>>
>>53314433
Not in mimics. I'm counting from both the base version i had on xbox 360 and the prepare to die PC version. Mimic placement was unchanged, unlike DS2 vs SotFS.

Also, durp, I listed six, so no shit there was a sixth one.
>>
>>53296574
You have to fill in so many gaps that in the end you aren't playing in the Dark Souls universe, you're playing in Anon's fantasy universe that was heavily inspired by Dark Souls
Going by Dark Souls 2 the best way to do a Dark Souls TTRPG would be to design your own setting that was once ruled over by a monarch similar to Gwyn which went to shit when the undead curse hit.
After that stat up Patches, Basilisks, Bonewheel Skeletons and I guess mimics since DS mimics are much stronger than most mimics from other games and you're done. Oh and I guess you should also stat Solaire, Siegmeyer, the black knights and Havel's weapons and armor along with the moonlight greatsword and the elite knight set so you've got some loot.
>>
>>53316074
Oh shit i forgot the Xanthous set
>>
>>53293018
Biggest think for ,example would be not not have the party roll up hollows. Remember that there are real people in the game too. Let the players play them, in the grim world of Dark Souls. Not, jolly hollows face check every trap.
>>
>>53293018
Shadow of the Demon Lord?
>>
>>53306439
Okay, let me rephrase that: Japanese people generally don't get a lot of free time to get together and play games
>>
>>53319030
From my experience, that depends on the people. Also Cthulhu is apparently the #1 most popular TRPG there.
>>
>>53313212
Horseshit. Nothing is stopping a Fighter from rolling +Int to figure shit out. Hell, the extra advancement system in Cold Ruins of Lastlife is designed to let you branch out and boost stats that aren't your main based on whether you want to fix the world or remake it entirely.
>>
File: DIEandDIE.pdf (402KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DIEandDIE.pdf
402KB, 1x1px
>>53293018
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.