[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, I've had some ideas towards designing a new tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: diceset.png (1MB, 2400x1914px) Image search: [Google]
diceset.png
1MB, 2400x1914px
Hey /tg/, I've had some ideas towards designing a new tabletop system as a side project for myself.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what areas to start in because I don't know whether to start with the mechanics side, the numbers side for HP/damage or classes etc. If someone here has any experience then advice on the process would be appreciated.

I don't post on /tg/ really so bear with me.
>>
>>53272158
First off, what's your premise?

Second off, do you want the rules to be concrete or abstract?

Finally, do you want the rules to be simple or complex?

Once you've answered these questions, start off with considering the best rolling method for resolving outcomes for that premise and then start adding rules to facilitate the sort of premise you want to create.
>>
>>53272158
>whether to start with the mechanics side, the numbers side for HP/damage or classes
The fact that you view those as separate sides and can't even tell which one has to logically come first spells almost certain doom for your project.
But let's try anyway.

The very first thing you need is an idea.
What is your idea?
Side note: If you cannot describe your idea without directly or indirectly referencing D&D, drop what you're doing, play a couple of different RPGs (No, Pathfinder does not count.) and then come back.
>>
>>53272158
Well a good place to start would be sharing those ideas, I suppose.
>>
not OP but I've also been making a game system and I'm getting pretty far, was wondering if i could eventually ask /tg/ to help me play test or give any criticism in the near future
>>
>>53273034
You could. The question you should be asking yourself is whether you should.
>>
>>53273050
Well, of my circle of friends, I'm the most into tabletop games and I don't really have a local shop and /tg/ is the only other place (i know of) where I can get honest opinions
>>
First order of business: Are you prepared to work months, if not years, on this and ready to throw your entire work away and make it anew with the knowledge you've gained by fucking up the first time?
If not, don't bother. It's probably going to be shit. Really, I'm saying this without any malice, unless you want to do this as a hobby project that you can put hundreds of hours into because it's fun to you, just don't. Picking a good base system and tweaking it yields far quicker results with less risk of producing a giant turd.
>>
OP here,
>>53273122
Yeah - I understand the work that's going to have to go into it. I'm in no rush but it's a something I'd like to do in my spare time and I have friends who are willing to help out testing and giving feedback.

>>53272799
My idea is for a rules lite fantasy RPG system that focuses on quick combat and simplified mechanics. The concept is to develop rules that work for a gameworld that I have DMed with before that required certain homebrew systems to setup accurate rules. I need a new setup for spellcasting as well.

That's the short of it anyway.
>>
>>53273511
>that I have DMed
BZZZT, you're out.
Drop what you're doing, play a couple of different RPGs (No, Pathfinder does not count.) and then come back.
>>
>>53273511

A key question is- What would your system do that another RPG doesn't do? What does it do better? Why would someone pick it over any number of other games?

That question assumes you have a broad frame of reference, having read and played a lot of games. If you haven't, get on that. It doesn't need to be full campaigns- Read a lot of systems and run one shots or short campaigns of the ones you find interesting to see how they play out, read up on campaign writeups/actual plays/whatever the fuck they're called, do research into systems to see how various mechanics are thought of, etc etc.
>>
>>53273636
Yes I have played D&D and even in other systems we called it DM - a lot of other people do as well.

>>53273698
It would be something I would mainly play with my friends and allows me to shape the rules better for the setting we use. I got tired of systems that are combat heavy and even though I know there are alternatives I just wanted to have the pass time to try designing my own - my focus is to make combat interesting but not the focus of the game as well as creating a level up system where the focus is on abilities and not just bulking stats. I have played a few other systems but I agree I could do with broadening my horizons a bit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.