[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In your setting, what's the difference between a demon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1491643851587.png (520KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491643851587.png
520KB, 566x800px
In your setting, what's the difference between a demon and a devil? Is there one?

I'll start. Demons are mortal (but long-lived) beings made from corrupted mortal souls, devils are immortal* hell elementals.

*Other devils sometimes tear them to shreds to steal their essence, which does kill them.
>>
File: 337.png (190KB, 626x613px) Image search: [Google]
337.png
190KB, 626x613px
Magus a cute.
>>
Devils are creatures from the first perfect world which have been corrupted by influence from other worlds and reflections. Demons are some of the types of invaders from those other worlds and reflections.

tl;dr of the setting is
>Picture reality as a corpse between two mirrors, rotting into infinity.
>>
>>53255033
I like to follow the classic DnD scheme that Devils are LE and Demons are CE. I have devil's act mostly on contracts pre-arranged with either mortals or other devils, fucking over someone by the end of the process, while demons will find a way to screw everything over as quickly as possible from the getgo; even the demons that plan ahead still screw people over in the process.
>>
>>53255099

The comic was comfy until, recently, it suddenly was not.
>>
>>53255033
Devils are a specific species of creature native to the underworld. They generally share a basic form, and while they often are antagonistic to humanity have no requirement to be, it's just culture and history influencing them. Demons, on the other hand, are anything that has had its nature corrupted and twisted into something inimical to reality. They can come in nearly any form, though they do usually have a coherent shape instead of some chaotic twisted thing, and they're always evil. Some are capable of subtlety in their efforts to poison the world, but in the end they all always want you to suffer and/or die.
>>
File: eisheth_zenunim_by_genzoman[1].jpg (173KB, 1100x930px) Image search: [Google]
eisheth_zenunim_by_genzoman[1].jpg
173KB, 1100x930px
>>53255033
>In your setting, what's the difference between a demon and a devil? Is there one?

"Demon" is a catch-all term for any sort of demonic entity, creature, growth, or person: nightmares and hellhounds are demons, the various flying or swimming body parts (eyeballs, cocks, hearts, entrails) are demons, skin or flesh growths that propagate like grass are/is demons.

The term 'Devil', though, is specifically the "politically correct" term that sapient/people Demons prefer to be refereed to as since they don't necessarily like being lumped in with dumb animals or flying genitalia/organs.
I mean, they're not gonna bust your balls about it (Devils aren't easily offended), but they'd consider it mildly to wildly impolite or rude... Especially if you're asking them for something.
>>
File: 1378377771713[1].jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1378377771713[1].jpg
101KB, 640x480px
>>53255033
>not going the Rance route

Devils are contract bound "familiars" that obey other beings. fulfilling their contract grants them power. They are immortal in age but can be harmed by anything, although they are very durable if they are high rank devils. Basically mercenaries in the demon kingdom.
Demons can't be harmed by conventional weapons. They are immortal. They serve the current Demon King. Basically the nobles of the demon kingdom.
Each demon has a number of Apostles, fiends that serve the demon in its doing. They are immortal in age but can be harmed by anything. Apostles can be humans turned fiends, dragons turned fiends, monsters turned fiends, or just regular devils turned into Apostles. Basically the noble's armies.
The Demon King is a mortal that lives 1000 years exactly, can't be harmed by conventional weapons. His power is unmatched by any other demon as he rules and commands over the rest. Literally the king.
>>
>making two synonyms into different things
only in angloland
>>
My own personal take on the DnD Demons and Devils:

Devils were originally celestials who felt that the other celetials weren't doing a good enough job of fighting demons and found their desire to fight them wanting and betraying the spirit of LAW.

They effectively had carved a home for themselves in the infinite abyss that would become Bator and consecrated it with the sacrifice of one of their own who tried to get them to come back into the fold as it were.

The original Demons were the Obyrith, basically great old ones who created Tanari to be their footsoldiers but after the Obyrith Queen was killed the other Obrith lords scattered and the Tanari were left to their own devices. Many are solidly Choatic evil and revel in it and some even worship the Obirith and continue their mission. Many just don't give a fuck and carve out their own slice of the infinite abyss. The rare few who are essentially chaotic neutral (at best) are sort of like Asura and have varying inclinations and power levels and even rare are some that are good but always always chaotic.
>>
Devils are bound demons through another medium.
>>
>>53255396
Why not?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.