[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

After a few sessions of a new game I started for my close friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

After a few sessions of a new game I started for my close friends about "historic" vikings settling into a standard fantasy world as the first humans I came upon a bit of a problem...

I picked the wrong system to GM.

Now I would rather not start a discussion about what is shit and what is not shit but it came on to me that Pathfinder/3.5 may be fun for me to play, yet is not so fun for me to GM.

I would prefer not to start a new game since the players and I like this one's story, so instead I decided to switch the system.

What fantasy system would you switch it to ?
I am currently thinking of trying 5ed because of what I heard about it yet I haven't touched it much as of yet.
>>
>>53252947
If you're wanting a streamlined experience that let's you easily modify and house rule 5e would work.
>>
GURPS
>>
It would be easy to convert to E6 and it avoids many of the problems of 3.pf
>>
>>53252947
Well, why exactly isn't it fun for you to GM? What do you from the new system?
Just a shot in the dark I'll recommend my favorite system atm: "The Riddle of Steel" / "Song of Swords".

Another one may be "Sagas of the Icelanders": https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sagas-of-the-icelanders-roleplaying-game#/
> A roleplaying game about the lives of Icelandic settlers in the 10th century A.D.

Or you can look at "Fate of the Norns: Ragnaröck", if you want something mechanically VERY different.

Or maybe BRP? Mongoose Legend / Runequest?

>What fantasy system would you switch it to ?
So yeah, I personally would probably use my above mentioned favorite system. But that might not be what you want / need.
>>
Hi OP. I had this same problem when I started my first campaign a couple years ago. In my case I didn't like how "videogamey" D&D/Pathfinder felt, with the limitations of a level-based progression system, the Vancian magic that didn't fit the worlds in my head, and the also too videogamey combat.

My solution was RuneQuest 6 (now published as Mythras), which is a d100 system where all abilities have a percentile and "improving" consists of experience rolls which add anywhere from 1-5% to the ability in question. It's way more realistic in my experience. The combat abilities and magic also work this way, but are much more open-ended than D&D.

It requires far less prep as well. For NPCs I tend to establish a few random %s for key abilities and pretty much wing everything else if the unexpected occurs (it always does), but the system flows quite naturally.

It's in the pdf sharethread somewhere, and if you search it in the archives some anon once posted his archive of all the new Mythras stuff. I highly recommend it.
>>
>>53254332
Thing is they are currently at the "real world" stage.
eventually I am planing on them entering a fantasy realm with a more traditional D&D kind of style to it. I may even add the ninth Roman legion to it when they reach that part.

In other words them being Norse has nothing to do with the new world itself so I am not specifically looking for Norse mythology.
>>
>>53254490
I'll check it out, thanks anon !
>>
>>53254332
>>53254517
3.5 and Pathfinder are very hard in terms of keeping up with all the rules. I found myself at the end mostly winging it in a way that gave me
a sense of unsatisfaction. I thought I already knew most of the rules but then realized that if I do GM such a system it may be better to do so with a pre-made campaign that can better guide me.
Since I am going about an open ended campaign that I myself made I want something perhaps a bit more simple yet still engaging. where keeping tack of xp and loot is relatively easy and such. This is why I wanted to check out 5ed.
>>
5e is great, switch to that.
>>
>>53252947
Something in the RuneQuest family (BRP or OpenQuest if you're looking to keep things on the light end when it comes to crunch, as straight-out RQ can get a bit involved) strikes me as a great fit for historic vikings, though I'm not sure what your "standard fantasy" expectations are exactly. In RQ, basically everything is a percentile-based skill, which leads to a pretty straightforward, realistic feeling game.

Alternately, maybe look into Savage Worlds if you want pulpy action. Just google the free "test drive" and use that as the basis of your game. You can, as desired, selectively drop shit in from the core "deluxe" rules and/or the appropriate "companion", in this case, the fantasy companion.

5e will surely make things easier for you to GM if you're moving from 3.5, but it's still a fairly involved system, and you still have a significant power curve (even if it's not as crazy as in 3.5). If you're okay with that and with the class separations in D&D (which fit a fantasy world well, but maybe not the historic part of your campaign), then you are already familiar with the basics of D&D, so it might work for you.
>>
>>53254187
This. E6 or E8 is the best thing that happened to 3.5 and PF.
>>
>>53256712
I'll also mention Barbarians of Lemuria, if you're okay with a swords & sorcery feel and really want to keep the rules light. Even the more involved Mythic edition is going to be many times simpler than 5e, and it strikes me that the careers would work great for the historic part of your campaign (as well as the fantasy part). BoL is basically a system for folks who want there to be a mechanical framework to base things on, but who don't want a bunch of rules getting in the way, preferring to lean on GM judgment rather than a bunch of subsystems and detailed specifics.

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, shorter but not as refined) --http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.