[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a Medieval setting, what do you typically make your average

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Gwent_cardart_Poor_Infantry.png (448KB, 365x663px) Image search: [Google]
Gwent_cardart_Poor_Infantry.png
448KB, 365x663px
In a Medieval setting, what do you typically make your average guard/soldier out to be? Dipshit peasants, arrogant assholes, medieval rent-a-cops, etc?

I'm curious as to what /tg/ likes to do with them because they're hardly ever even a thing in any campaigns I play or hear about
>>
>>53206431
I have them differ from city to city depending on what themes I want to use.
Crime filled city? Corrupt as fuck.
Holy city? Buncha paladins.
Multicultural trade hub? Tired and overworked keeping everyone happy wile only knowing three of the hundreds of languages they need to know.
>>
>>53206431
Obligatory "Read any Terry Pratchett guards books" post.
>>
Unless I need to adjust them to fit with territory themes I usualy just go with poorly equipped, poorly trained but dedicated because they are defending their home.
Nothing gets my group going like when the cities defenders get up on the walls knowing damn well they're outnumber and outmatched "But damn it this is our home we won't just let them come in here without a fight!"
>>
>>53206431
In my setting guards are usually just local though guys who are given a club or halberd, some armor(usually chainmail or gambeson) and basic military training. They're mostly guys who are competent enough at their job, with said job being catching thieves and intimidating troublemakers. They're no match for anyone who actually knows how to fight, and generally they don't want trouble. Sure, if the price is right you can easily bribe them, but most of them just want to do their jobs and get home to their families. I try to make them as normal as possible because in the end they're just guards, none of them "matter" to the plot.

As for soldiers, those are usually the assholes who are itching for a fight. The thugs you'd rather want out of your cities than in them. Exceptions are made for those of higher rank, who I assume are expectd to have a certain way of carrying themselves in social situations.
>>
>>53206431
I model my guards/ soldiers/ footmen/ hirelings after their masters. Arrogant prick nobleman - arrogant prick footmen. Old, retired field marshal, living on the country estate he got granted for his service - older, semi retired, loyal former soldiers. Always exceptions of course but generally like that.
>>
File: Ganeshas_disciple_by_Odinoir.jpg (200KB, 563x665px) Image search: [Google]
Ganeshas_disciple_by_Odinoir.jpg
200KB, 563x665px
>>53206431
Really depends.

Average militia, clubs of overly enthusiastic youngsters, part-time volunteers, mercenaries, magical fusions of man and elephant...

Some cities have a professional and sacred order working as both police and firefighters. They even use pepper dust as not to kill, have axes and ballistas to destroy buildings etc.

The capital has so many people that they went Constantinople and created quaestors. These fellas make sure that anyone coming in has a good reason to do so, will stay as long as necessary, and investigate whatever may blow the lid of the cauldron everybody lives in. They are becoming the first detectives in the world, able to have comitives of experts (adventurers is a bad word to use). Also can order public slaves, even free and arm them if judged necessary.
>>
>>53206431

Your average's guard's average job is basically just to stand around and look tough. Anyone they fight will probably be unarmed or lightly armed. Their training and equipment is basic and easy to work through as a result. They aren't nobility or even knightly and they can't afford much better without saving up they probably won't do. A shortsword and a quilted chestpiece with some metal bits in it is probably what they'll be supplied. The chestpiece will obviously have the symbol and colors of whoever they work for. They don't need anything fancy and it'd probably just get in the way. Anyone who's both this low on the totem pole and doing this kind of job is probably someone's second or third kid with no inheritance or prospects of moving up. After a couple of generations or more they'd probably have been knighted already so this is just where the dregs go.

Infantry is a different story. Someone is paying them with the express idea that they'll be armed and equipped to kill. They'll have a similar sword and quilted chest piece, but it'll be backed by actual metal armor of whatever size and quality their commander will afford them. A crossbow or some kind of firearm if that's what their unit has, or if they're in it for close range work some kind of spear or polearm so they aren't in sword range immediately. Same story as guards for volunteers. In war time they're probably conscripts.
>>
As a security guard myself, I fashion them after me.

Which is to say I will do the least amount possible to maintain a paycheck and avoid danger or conflict unless I have no other choice without fearing loss of job.

Not all of them, but grand majority are there for a paycheck.
>>
>>53211802
Very legitimate, however it doesn't necessarily fit with every setting/environment. If the guard are often facing serious threats or if recent events are causing upheavals then facing that with a humdrum attitude of "Your reward is not being punished, just keep your head down." would be remarkable.
In fact, if there is a recent crisis in the area then the attitudes of the guards could change accordingly, could have a little character arc as they adapt to a legitimate threat.
>>
>>53211802
50% this and 50% Generation Kill (flaring up in the face of more nationalistic conflict).
>>
>>53206597

Even in a holy city, you shouldn't use paladins as guards.
>>
>>53206431
I like to base them off GIs in the 'nam, so essentially, a mixed bag of archetypes.
There's stoic jarheads, who found the job "respectable enough", and are content to bust heads for modest pay.
There's would-be dipshits who genuinely thought there'd be more dispensing justice, and were sorely disappointed.
There's greasy, sarcastic types, with very little to offer the brigade than flippancy, and an incredible nose for bribes and extortion.

The entire battalions have their own characteristics, too.
Any fantasy setting worth it's salt has a 'green berets' equivalent - the 'gung ho'-est, 'first in last out'-est, baddest sonsabitches in the King's legions. Sometimes a prison legion, because that's fun.
Not to mention a legion of genuinely green, genuinely bad incompetents, who wouldn't know which end of a pike to hold, had poor Cedric not had that accident last fortnight.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.