[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 35

File: 1493565357778.jpg (253KB, 1500x827px) Image search: [Google]
1493565357778.jpg
253KB, 1500x827px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/...
>>53142740
>>
What archetype is underrated? Bonus points for why.
>>
>>53151013
Monk
>>
>>53151013
The entire warlock class is underrated by the morons of this general, mostly because they don't know how to play around enemies making saves.
>>
>>53151013
Great Old One

Fuck your bonus points
>>
How should GMs allow players to map dungeon progress? Asking them to draw it based on your descriptions seems a little clunky.
>>
>>53151148
??

I'm assuming you're playing in real life and not over roll20? The GM should be the one drawing the dungeon before the session starts and you should cover up the unexplored parts with paper.
>>
>>53151148
We use a whiteboard and I draw a map for the players of everything they can see. Tried to do the theater of the mind thing when we started but since we all are new it was too confusing for everybody.
But since I only draw a room or two at the same time it's up to them to keep track of the full layout.
>>
>>53151208
>this is what 5e babies think dungeon exploration should be like

time for your trip to /osrg/ my dude
>>
>>53151148
When I DM I have a map for my reference, and one of the player's sketches out a diagram for the party's use. It is working pretty well so far, minus a couple of geometry hiccups involving ramps and curving hallways.
>>
>>53151208
Yeah, I'm playing in real life. I use maps myself, but revealing entire rooms that are larger than the players field of vision seems a bit cheesy.

>>53151234
Seems like it would slow down the game.
>>
File: sam-keiser-digital-13.jpg (279KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sam-keiser-digital-13.jpg
279KB, 1236x1600px
So, for Teleportation circle it costs 50 gp to cast once. Cast it at the same place once every day for a full year and you have a new permanent teleportation Circle.

A new teleportation circle costs 18250 GP and a year of parking at least a level 9 caster on the spot. Is that correct?
>>
Related to mapping the dungeon for players: is it legal to go to a copy store, like Staples, and have them print out maps from published adventurers I've purchased?

Like, I'm running Yawning Portal for Adventurer's League, own the book, and I wanted to print up the bottom floor of Sunless Citadel using the .pdf in the 5E treasure Trove, for example.
>>
>>53151339
>Seems like it would slow down the game
Well, not literally everything. Mostly just combat situations and dungeon layouts.
>>
>>53151013
Eldritch Knight. Forget cantrips and evocation. In fact, forget intelligence. It's all about those hot defensive spells paired with that sweet fighter chassis.

Right off the bat you've got Mage Armor and Shield. Then at 8th level you can grab Mirror Image and become a bitch to kill. Then at 14th you can grab Blink and become untouchable.

The real kicker is that you can cast Mirror Image and Blink on the same turn if you really need to with Action Surge.
>>
>>53151372
Yes, that is perfectly legal.

Unless you start selling those new maps for a profit. Then you start to run afoul of IP laws.
>>
>>53151372
What do thinks going to happen? Are the police going to arrest you for making photo copies?
>>
>>53151148
If you're using official DnD maps don't make the mistkae of ever showing them to your players. I really fucked up by doing this. I was playing on roll20 for reference.

Every time they explored a room it was like "Gee anon, how come that one area is still black? There's probably a hidden door behind there right?"
And sure enough there was. I was naive of me to jus straight up copy the map but I wasn't thinking that after ahead.
>>
File: 1492935127685.jpg (27KB, 256x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492935127685.jpg
27KB, 256x400px
>>53151148
I pump images to a stripped down flat screen TV on a table. The players put their minis on it and "walk" around while I use erase to get rid of the fog of war layer.
>>
>>53151393
>mage armor
kek
Absorb Elements is the real deal
>>
>>53151267
Uhh looks like they have the same consensus my dude

>>53151359
>>
>>53151399
Thank you, my old DM for Adventurer's League would do it all the time. 3'x4' Architectural Prints cost ~$13, party doesn't have to wait while you erase/draw sections of map, it's great.

>>53151404
No, I think the girl running the copy center at Staples lied to me when she told me she couldn't print that without a letter of consent from the book's publisher.
>>
>>53151005
>designed some classes to do nothing outside of combat.
Every class has at least 4 skill proficiencies, as well as some extra languages and/or tool proficiencies. Additionally, a great percentage of all ability checks can be managed by just having a high ability score. Finally, even if you aren't the best one at doing something, you might be able to help someone else complete that task.

>>53150857
Just because I hear the complaint often doesn't mean I have to give the complaint sufficient credibility to warrant changing the system. I'd love a Planescape book too, but believing in something doesn't make it so in this world.
>>
Thinking of joining a 3.5 game of dnd

I'm prettt new even though I've been DMing for a few months for my own group in 5e

Anyone know where any mega stashes are for it?
>>
>>53151393
>Mirror Image and Blink
God, what a waste on a heavily armored tank.
>>
>>53151456
It's the best armor if you're running dex, which isn't a bad idea since dex helps you get the most mileage out of Mirror Image. Plus it lasts 8 hours so you basically only need to cast it once per day.

I did forget about Absorb Elements though. I always forget that Elemental Evil exists.
>>
>>53151478
People who work at copy centers have been ordered by their bosses to cover the corporate ass at all costs.
If it even vaguely looks copyrighted, they're not to print it.
>>
I don't understand how to make PDFs on naturalcrit.

>>53151495
Not mega, but ALL books:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3134960
>>
>>53151495
Someone linked this yesterday https://dnd.rem.uz/
>>
>>53151540
>it's the best armor if you're running dex
are you mentally ill?
>>
>>53151599
It gives you 18 AC if you have 20 dex. Studded Armor gives you 17 AC at 20 dex.

It costs a spell slot, sure, but if you think about it as +1 AC (as compared to just wearing Studded) for 8 hours no concentration, it doesn't seem all that bad.
>>
>>53151650
But you're a fighter.
You're proficient in fucking plate. Which is 18 AC no strings attached. Costing zero spell slots, immune to dispels and AMF.

And mage armor chumps to a +1 studded or +1 halfplate.
>>
>>53151531
What if I'm playing a ranged fighter?
>>
Looking for some feedback on this ability for a paladin. Does it seem balancedand fun?

>Channel Divinity: Heroic Rescue
If an enemy creature within 30 feet of you reduces an ally to 0 HP, you can use your reaction to move to an adjacent space to that enemy and make a single melee attack against it. Your ally immediately regains a number of hit points equal to your Charisma modifier plus 1d8 for each attack of opportunity you were targeted by during this reaction.
>>
>>53151673
>You're proficient in fucking plate

I thought we were talking about dex?

>And mage armor chumps to a +1 studded or +1 halfplate

True. Obviously you'd stop using mage armor if you got one of those. Key word "if" since one might have a DM who's stingy about magic items.
>>
>>53151768
I think it looks good. Seems a little niche, but it could be useful if people are going down a lot.
>>
>>53151367
Pretty much
>>
>>53151367
sounds right
>>
File: IMG_6886.jpg (53KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6886.jpg
53KB, 640x352px
What's the best Livestream/Broadcast?

Acquisitions Inc.
Critical Role
Dice Camera Action
Harmonquest
Force Grey
Acquisitions Inc C Team
>>
>>53151681
Then you probably don't need to devote that many spells known, spell slots, and actions to proactive defenses. You aren't a wizard.
>>
>>53151881
>>53151940
It just seems a little bit odd that the chalk/ink in the components needs to be spent every single day. You'd think that if had a room set aside you could keep the circle tidy and keep from reapplying the calk EVERY day.
>>
>>53151985
Not quite the question you asked but its similar. Im a big fan of adventure zone
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 480x433px
I want to play a LE Oath of the Crown paladin. I feel like swearing fealty to a nation/monarch instead of a god, but I don't know what country would fit best. I'm playing Curse of Strahd, so I feel like it should be something not home brewed. If we started in Ravenloft it'd be easy to just pick one of the nations there, but according to the DM we don't. He hasn't given me much info beyond that.
>>
>>53152048
It's about infusing the chalk and ink with the magic, just like painting a wall in your house you don't stop at the first coat normally you need one or two more.

That's how I rationalize it, the items get "used" and saturated with magic to where they can't hold more and it leads to wasting energy trying to infuse more into them.
>>
>>53152102
Swear fealty to Strahd.
>>
File: westmap.png (313KB, 1295x920px) Image search: [Google]
westmap.png
313KB, 1295x920px
I'm planning on running an old school , wilderness survival, hexcrawl in 5E. Players will be from a traditional fantasy world but exploring a new world , so I want to avoid any traditional fantasy tropes. No goblins , kobolds , orcs, dwarves etc.

Any tips ?
>>
>>53152048
Safe permanent teleportation ain't cheap, son.

>>53151795
Niche, huh? Since it's supposed to expend a use of Channel Divinity (though the paladin will gain an extra use per rest), maybe it should heal more? Maybe 2d6 per AoO?
>>
>>53152182
>Players will be from a traditional fantasy world but exploring a new world , so I want to avoid any traditional fantasy tropes. No goblins , kobolds , orcs, dwarves etc.

So what are you putting in it then?
>>
What's the best way to do an encounter where 2 level 6 PCs and around 6 NPCs have to defend a small house from a hoarde of zombies until they can get a magical teleporter up and running?

>>53152182
Populate it with a shit ton of wild animals that are intelligent.

That and diseases, low supplies, hostile natives, malnutrition, and weather.

Those and keeping their gear in check would fuck them over. I made my PCs take an entire day where they clean their carts/wagons, bags, vials, etc and maintain their weapon ever since they decided to cross a desert and encountered a salt flat.
>>
>>53152238
Exactly like CoD does it with waves increasing in size
>>
>>53152263
>>53152238
>>53152233
>>53152182
Check this out >>53149199
Not even that OP.
>>
>>53152276
Sounds close to a book I read called The Warded Man
>>
>>53152175
We don't start in Barovia and can't be from Ravenloft at all. I also don't feel like betraying the party.
>>
>>53152263
I was already planning that, but the question is there a way to do it without it being clunky or having the PCs just constantly attacking?

I have some ideas like having them constantly fixing barricades or eventually the swarm getting into the house and having them fall back to the basement, attic, etc. I might just make them try to hold a manor instead now.

>>53152276
I'll take a look, thanks.
>>
>>53152373
>Is LE
>Doesn't have a plan to betray the party if it benefits himself

You're doing it wrong m8
>>
>>53152276
I once though of trying a game in a world with quite literal "points of light" theme. The world would be shrouded in eternal darkness and only truly safe places are the cities and towns in which lights are being constantly kept lit.
You let the light go out, you die.
>>
>>53152391
Well that really depends on the makeup of the party
>>
>>53152403
>You need to be evil in order to mutiny
>>
>>53151045
I want to like Warlock, i looks super interesting and I have tons of concepts for it, but in every game I had been 0-1 short rest is what you get.

Same happens to monk.
>>
>>53152403
A skilled individual uses his tools to the fullest, and only discards them when they are no longer of use or have broken.
>>
>>53152431
So far a rogue, wizard, and their NPC waifus, an artificer and a fighter.

They're also gonna have an Inquisitor and his lackies to help them.
>>
>>53152456
>Implying

No you don't need to be evil to do so, but lawful evil is always ready to take the better deal unless bound by an absolute contract.
>>
>>53152233

My ideas are pretty loose at the moment.

I want to include a homebrew race called the tendu I stole from a sci fi book called the colour of magic. Essentially an amphibian reptile race that live in the treetops, connected to nature , that communicate through colours and symbols on their skin and have an ability to heal one another through connecting stubs on their arms. They also use this to bio transfer with one another and connect on a higher level.

I was also thinking to use myconoids , thri kreen, dinosaurs , kenku, elementals , koa Toa, quaggoths, basilisk, manticores , aboleths , giant insects, shambling mounds all the weird and wonderful stuff basically

I'd also like to use dragons too because it's in the name and beholders as they're cool.
>>
>>53152391
Like RE4's cabin fight? Only bigger to give room for all the PCs?

So you start outside defending a bridge or other narrow pass until the horde finds a way around it, then you fall back to the building trying to keep them out of the many holes in your defenses, hold them a bit at the stairs until they can get up the walls to the second floor windows, finally holding a desperate defense until the teleportation is completed. You can go for a third floor with an attic or roof access too. A desperate battle on a stormy rooftop is a nice setpiece.
>>
File: gygax-futurama.jpg (28KB, 375x400px) Image search: [Google]
gygax-futurama.jpg
28KB, 375x400px
>>53152485
>Telling people how to play different alignments

You are making Gygax's ghost very happy.
>>
Need some tips on city building / narrating

Secondly, I'll likely be giving my players are manor or castle, does anyone have a roll20 map for one?
>>
Your action are meaningless. In the end, you rolled poorly and everything as you know it ends. Let hope the ripples you made return to complete what you started.
>>
File: Safehouse.jpg (419KB, 640x807px) Image search: [Google]
Safehouse.jpg
419KB, 640x807px
>>53152569
Not exactly a manor, but it might work.
>>
>>53151985
I enjoy Critical Role and Adventure Zone.
>>
>>53152553
Thanks, though I was thinking maybe the last stand area be a laboratory or somewhere sinister.

Of course, I might just keep pulling from Nazi Zombies and include some aberrations and shit as well leading the zombies.
>>
>>53152468
Once a better deal that far out weighs the benefits of keep around said tools comes up then betraying the party should be done. From what's been presented he doesn't want to betray the party.

>>53152565
I do what I can someone has to be the jack ass that tells people they have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

More often than not people get their panties in a twist and make something better to prove you wrong.
>>
>>53152621
Adventure Zone is good for the narrative and the characters.

If you want actual play, look elsewhere.

Also, be sure to hide your powerlevel for a couple of the characters/arcs.

The later episode's music is pretty dang good. I grab it from soundcloud.
>>
>>53151985
I'm a sucker for Tabletop Escapades. It's incredibly loosey-goosey and honestly, obviously sub-par, but at the same time they have this one player who comes off with the most bizarre shit and it gets me every fucking time.

>Dragonborn says to this player
>"you'll need 10,000 gold for me to revive your friend"
>Player immediately responds
>"Dragonborn. Wanna wrestle for 10,000 gold?"

D&D equivalent of "it's great if you turn your brain off".
>>
>>53152624
It's better if there's some intelligence to the horde, yes. An evil lab is okay too, as long as it has a giant tesla coil or a lightning rod that connects to the roof somewhere.

I think you probably want to go for no more than two minutes of actual fighting, preferably closer to one minute, so you could set up something to break up the fight. I'm thinking a grand staircase that leads to the upper floors that can be destroyed to buy time. If you want to do it in three parts, you could have some defense that can be activated around the lab for part three. You must have guessed by now that I would recommend some kind of electrified barrier the zombies can throw themselves against to drain and burn out.
>>
>>53152660
Funny I see CR as the same except it's mostly narrative and only two characters, Grog because of how dedicated Travis is to RPing him and Scanlen near the end.
>>
How come there not much martial art move and stance that martial class can preform?
>>
File: base colored.png (726KB, 1920x1082px) Image search: [Google]
base colored.png
726KB, 1920x1082px
>>53152569
I gave my players a generic flying fortress, pic very much related. It's in pretty bad shape though and meant for giants so they still need tons of gold for renovations.
>>
>>53151985
All of those kinda suck in terms of seeing real play.

They're mostly funny men/trained actors pretending to play D&D . Critical Role being particularly guilty of this. Harmonquest at least admittedly so.

Liveplay videos from Web DM are good at showcasing a well put together 5E game.

https://youtu.be/r6CKbhNw2ZA

The AD&D 2nd edition games from woodwwoad's channel have great roleplay and old school gameplay.

https://youtu.be/CTMgwssoESY
>>
Guys, i was thinking about doing an adventure like this:

Low level party is out on the wilderness and finds in a basin the aftermath of a bloody skirmish after a trading deal got totally wrong.

They find small chest with a valuable treasure and go away with it.

Meanwhile, a dark oath paladin is pursuing the party because he's tasked by some unnamed character to get back the treasure.

Basically i want to do D&D no country for old men.

i'm open to advice/suggestions
>>
>>53152637
It's also Curse of Strahd. You win when Strahd is defeated. Betraying the party that aims to defeat Strahd seems counterintuitive. I could always betray them after but the campaign's over by then. Not to mention my oath to the crown means my country's desires outweigh my own.
>>
>>53151774
If you're using DEX then Medium Armour is better until you have +5 DEX.
>>
>>53152683
I suppose that could work, though I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but do you think including zombie ogres, trolls, etc would make them shit themselves?
>>
What kinda build would you do for a Dragon-hunter Ranger? Not just favoured enemy, but a ranger who's pretty specifically setting out to slay dragons. Things like spells, what archetype would work best, hell I'd even multiclass although something like a Paladin would be hard to justify as it's less a "I hate dragons" sorta thing but a "I love killing dragons" thing.

At the top of my head, I feel like Absorb Elements and Ensnaring Strike might be a good idea, I'm thinking maybe multiclassing into Druid to get Earthbind.
>>
Running sunless citadel. Possible spoilers?
Players entered the room with the white dragon (without the kobold with them). White dragon told them he wasn't going back to being a pet.
That's when it dawned on the players that dragons are intelligent and probably don't want to be a pet and that they weren't actually saving the dragon.
They left the door open and let the dragon escape down the hall. A few goblins heard the commotion and went after it, but also spotted the PCs.

It really doesn't have much in the way of escape options, so I'm thinking I'll have some goblins die off if they go to investigate its path and then find it back in the possession of the Kobolds, but with several kobolds dead. Seem like a reasonable outcome? Other possible outcome is that the dragon makes it out alive.
>>
>>53152738
Use Downtime mechanics for things to spend the gold on.

You need some reasons for the players to go places, unless you are ditching any dungeons whatsoever.
>>
>>53152198
I guess it just depends on how often you have people dropping to 0 hit points in your encounters.

Obviously there's very likely one guaranteed AoO, but getting more than that is a little difficult. Plus, he risks a lot of damage, so the reward needs to equal out.

What level is the paladin? You could always scale it up as he levels.
>>
>>53152737
>pretending to play D&D
See, I see this accusation a lot and I really doubt it. A fully scripted show wouldn't have so many mechanical fuck-ups. Hell, the whole of Tiberius kind of proves it's not all scripted.

Players definitely talk to each-other and to Matt about scenes they'd like to see, but I don't consider that "scripted". I do that, it helps me write things for sessions. It's also just prudent when it comes to romance stuff.
>>
>>53151045
>mostly because they don't know how to play around enemies making saves.

Why don't you explain it then?
It's hard to encourage someone to play a warlock when they blow their load after a couple slots and the part isn't usually able/willing to take many short rests, especially if enemies make their saves.
Often pidgeonholes the entire class into being EB turrets or picking spells that don't require saves.
>>
>>53152788
The dragon could flee deeper into the dungeon.

A good way to drive the PCs down there.
>>
>>53152787
Horizon Walker, gets protection from energy, Ethereal Step is an awesome ambush or defensive option, the Teleport when you shoot your bow is something that will come in handy to avoid their melee attacks and 1/2 damage is great against Dragon breath.

The fluff doesn't really match but fluff's the easiest to edit part of the game.
>>
>>53152764
Well, let me plan some more. First of all, RE4 is 2 people in a cabin, Nazi Zombies is 4 soldiers in a complex. Your 12 PC/NPC are 3-6 times as much manpower, but significantly less firepower. So you'll need the encounter to cover more space, but you might do with about the same amount of meat.

Bigger zombies work as siege units that can break through their defenses, or stand-ins for the more dangerous types of monsters like the various head-bursting parasites. It's worth including some that can throw rudimentary ranged attacks.

Only give your players some break time if there's something to do with that time, like build up cover, prepare traps, drink potions, tend to injuries, gather more ammunition, and maybe give them the benefit of a short rest.

It would be awesome to give them a "chainsaw" moment, where they think they're safe and the horde brings up a new tactic to get past it. Maybe the ogres and trolls start throwing smaller zombies up to the second floor.

If possible, give them a timetable to keep track of how they're doing. How long does the ritual need? How close are they? What does failure look like for the party? In any case, if they can gather a horde of undead into a mansion, set the whole thing on fire and teleport out, that looks like a win.
>>
>>53152756
>Not betraying he party to Strahd and using the opportunity to shank him when he doesn't expect it, thus killing two birds with one stone
>Not becoming an oath breaker instead and returning to conquer your former home at the head of an undead army installing yourself as king

Laughingdevils.png
>>
File: fated-0012.png (3MB, 1400x1960px) Image search: [Google]
fated-0012.png
3MB, 1400x1960px
>>53152819
It's not fully scripted. They're improv actors making shit up as they go along. D&D is the medium they do it through because it's become popular at the moment but the rules , mechanics etc are virtually meaningless. While this isn't 'wrong' per say it's a really bad representation of how D&D actually plays out when the players aren't professional improv actors and the DM actually plans a game according to the rules and materials in the books.

Also see lulz meme picture here for how people get the wrong idea of how RPG's actually play.
>>
>>53151013
Enchantment Wizards are underrated, despite being one of the best archetypes, as well as being fun to play. Hypnotic Gaze is basically a shitty Hold Monster at level 2, Instinctive Charm is very nice to keep yourself alive and potentially do some extra damage using powerful enemies against themselves, and Split Enchantment is really good for preserving spell slots and minor crowd control. Gets shit on by undead and fiends, tho.
>>
>>53152937
Critical Role's campaign started years before they started the streaming. Everyone involved was a noobie, hence the loose rules that were established.
>>
>>53151768
What is this 4e?
>>
>>53152939
My nigga. I don't think I've seen a single other person who thinks Enchantment is as good as it is.

Worth noting that Hypnotic Gaze works while you concentrate on another spell to get twice as much control happening. I'm thinking of asking my DM to let me change my War Magic Wizard to an Enchanter soon.

>>53152937
Holy shit, that comic's one of the most atrocious things I've seen
>>
>>53152954
I'm glad we agree they don't follow the rules. Again while there is nothing wrong with this, people can play however they want, it would be like watching a stream of chess players to learn how to play chess only to realise they're actually playing checkers.
>>
>>53152937
>insult
>dramatic speech
This is annoying me more than it should.
>>
>>53152937
Didn't they start with 4th ed, then Pathfinder then went to 5th ed for this campaign? I wouldn't be surprised if Matt loosened the rules that much considering they changed editions/games for one campaign. And you can tell it's not scripted since the campaign's fizzle just kinda died after they beat the dragons. It's as if Matt has no clue how to wrap out half a decade of campaign. I mean, you can't really top fighting five ancient dragons.
>>
>>53153001
I was more debating your "they only do D&D because it's popular" comment.
>>
>>53152923
You just told someone they should play Oath of the Crown as Oathbreaker.

> DM: Okay, what do you do?
> Paladin: I fall.
>>
>>53151045
Warlock isn't underrated, warlock is just considered boring because you're stuck as the Eldrtich Blast turret 90% of the time and every other option the class can get is much, much, much worse than being the Eldritch Blast turret
>>
>>53153016
I've never watched the show but if they've beat 5 ancient dragons wouldn't the logical next step be the big mummy dragon with 5 heads, Tiamat?
>>
>>53153004
Sassy black chick DM is annoying me. Amount of times that's happened - never. I didn't think I was racist but maybe I am.
>>
>>53153016
I think it was 3.5 they converted from, that's if I'm remembering what they said one time near the beginning.
>>
>>53153048
Can seven level 20 characters even beat a full powered Tiamat? I'm legit curious.
>>
>>53153042
No no no that's the long run after the betrayal, either break oath completely or swear a new one to Strahd. Come on man keep up with my shitposting
>>
>>53153053
You might be, considering that's hardly sassy.
>>
>>53153044
Great Old One warlocks demand that you take that back. Blasting and controlling in one neat package.
>>
>>53152916
Would giving them around an half an hour to an hour to prep and around half an hour per wave be a good idea?

Also, zombie ogres throwing boulders to break apart walls and barricades.
>>
>>53153082
Are they good? A very well built martial with a +2/3 weapon can take her down to nearly half her health in one round with some buff spells. I'm pretty sure 7 characters could demolish her within 2 rounds as long as the players aren't dumb.
>>
>>53153048
Theirs a fucking possibility of Orcus so possibly? One of the twins promised the Raven Queen they'd fight Orcus so either the campaign will end before all that or we're about to get into some high octane fantasy.
>>
>>53153016
>>53153048
They're likely building up to some sort of evil undead BBEG. At least, that's what it seems like. But at the same time Matt really panders to his players (not that that is a bad thing), and gives them quite intricate personal character arcs.
The Cleric has just begun hers. Still, I think they're mostly all around level 17, so they're certainly nearing the end. I'm guessing it will end with Liam's character arc coming to a full close or something since he's the reason this campaign is really going anyway (aside from mercer).
>>
>>53153082
The one WotC has statted? With good magic items (that they have), yeah. They have enough numbers too.

I'm in a lvl 16 party with good magic items and quite a few members, and we've been fighting stuff that's above Tiamat. The only WotC thing that would intimidate us I think at this point would be Orcus.
>>
>>53153105
>creature makes its save
huh

>creature you're dominating dies
huh

The way the class is designed encourages you to put hex on something and blast it as many times as you can with your EB. It's kind of shit.
>>
File: 1493527348035.png (183KB, 1843x727px) Image search: [Google]
1493527348035.png
183KB, 1843x727px
>>53153108
These are the artifacts Mercer has given them, some aren't even fully "upgraded yet".

https://youtu.be/Tozi1a2p8u0

This is a normal "solid" plan for this group.
>>
How good is Sentinel+Blade Mastery for a Battlemaster?
>>
File: 1491760806044.png (107KB, 565x429px) Image search: [Google]
1491760806044.png
107KB, 565x429px
Any one got a PDF for DM manual? Lost mine
>>
>>53153108
>I'm pretty sure 7 characters could demolish her within 2 rounds as long as the players aren't dumb.
>so long as the players aren't dumb

You've clearly never watched the stream...
Fuckers have been playing for years and don't know the basics of their class abilities half the time.
>>
>>53153158
check the mega
>>
>>53153151
I read the first line of 3 of those items. They'll fuck her shit up 6 ways to Sunday.

One or two could die if she's lucky.

>>53153164
Yeah, I haven't and I said that >>53153048. The show honestly is sounding worse and worse though.
>>
>>53153164

Seems standard. The amount of times I have to tell my players. (Especially female players). That the D20 is used to make attack rolls and skill checks is un-fucking- believable. They're level 6 now for god sake.
>>
>>53153164
What sucks is Travis is actually smart, you can see it from his continual eye rolling at their plans and his character in Liam's evil one shot.

The problem is he rolled a six put it in Int and made a dumb barbarian for his first character and he sticks to it.
>>
File: 1490286190847.gif (14KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1490286190847.gif
14KB, 416x416px
>>53153170
Got it, thanks my dude
>>
So I need to run a one shot for 8th level characters, but the problem is I've never played 8th level and I basically have a day to prep. Any suggestions for obstacles for 8th level players?
>>
>>53152822
As a warlock, you should avoid spells that require saves. Instead, focus on buff spells, utility spells, etc. Take invocations that grant you at will abilities. Warlocks get the most "at will" type abilities, so you should almost never be stuck just eldritch blasting.

The situation got even better after the warlock UA.
>>
>>53153203
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that he's the best player there. Marisha is obviously the worst.
>>53153202
It's fucking bad. For my players there's only one guy who never knows how to play his character. Thankfully that campaign is ending soon and he has vowed to roll a fighter next time because he can't keep up with spells.
>>
>>53153278
Just run those shit eaters through the tomb of horrors.
>>
>>53153202
>Especially female players

fucking roasties am I rite my dude haha women and their inferior brains if only they stopped shitting up the hobby with their normie Chad boyfriends and left it to us REAL

neck yourself anon, it'll take the pain away
>>
>>53153308
>You should ignore half of your spell list
That's pretty bad design.
I agree with you that you should focus on the other stuff if you want to be effective because it leaves very little room for variety when there are quite obvious trap choices and optimal choices.

It honestly needs an overhaul in my opinion, and should be redesigned.
>>
>>53153313
Now now, Marisha is doing a fantastic job going very in-depth to play a character with high charisma and low wisdom, considering how unaware she is and how she always defaults to attempting to talk her way out of everything

It's just a shame that she's playing a druid who's behaviour does not match her stats in the slightest
>>
>>53153322
They are not experienced enough aha.
>>
>>53153372
If they're running an 8th level character, they should at least be able to handle part of the tomb.
>>
>>53153096
It's the eyebrows and the pudgy biceps. You know the moment shit goes down, she will be the first one doing that sideways headbob.
>>
>>53153313
I don't understand it honestly. It's not a complicated game to learn as a player yet they still look blankly at their character sheet when put on the spot as if it will tell them. Then again I suppose this is why the game has been gradually dumbed down edition by edition to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>53152818
Party is level 9, close to 10. They used to drop to 0 a lot, now it happens less frequently but it still happens on big fights. About the risk/reward, it depends on what they're fighting, I guess. Besides, at 21 AC, AoOs can very possibly miss, but would still count for healing.

>>53152982
You got me. This is inspired in a 4e ability, from the warlord.
>>
>>53153369
I thought she had fuck high wisdom and little to no charisma.
>>
>>53153395
Judging by the amount of questions in these threads clearly they haven't dumbed it down enough.
>>
>>53153415
>that'sTheJoke.jpg
>>
>>53153278
Go into the MM, pick out a CR 8-10 monster.
Monster hunt quest. Give it some legendary actions.
>journey into its lair to stop the troublesome beast
>it was just protecting its babbies all along
>moral dilemma oh no
OR
>it's normally peaceful but recently some cultist/sorcerer/whatever is bending it to their will
>this is the twist
>kill the old man behind the curtain controlling the beast and the beast goes unconcious immediately
>it wakes up some time later and is friendly again

You could even have the monster not be a monster at all. But could be an old friendly spirit or guardian of a town that has gone crazy. Maybe provide some reason as to why it went crazy like, some asshole kids threw rocks at him, maybe he's had enough. But really it's the more sinister thing.
>>
>>53153363
I'm just saying from my observations of dming and playing the game for ten years that female players in general don't care about her game rules , don't bother to learn how the game actually works and have to be constantly reminded of the basics.

On the other hand they do roleplay a lot better than most male players, come up with more interesting character concepts, they never power game , they choose fluffy in character options and come up with weird but interesting ideas through not caring about being munchkins. So in a strange way I much prefer playing with female players, hence why most of my group are women. But it's still annoying explaining the base D20 mechanic every session.
>>
>>53152540
>pratchett
>sci fi
?????
>>
>>53153107
I'd think about how much they could do to prepare, then give them enough time to not quite do all of it. You might want to give them 5 minute short rests or only a partial benefit from resting for this scene too.
>>
>>53153445
Ohh my bad it's been a long day, and anytime Keyleth is brought up I damn near have an aneurysm.
>>
Hello friend, DMing my first game atm. I'm trying to think up simple jobs for the party to do, minor things to do to ease them into the game before shaking shit up with a major plot event. The first and last ones I have are decent enough, I feel, both setting things up for the future, but the second I'm sure about. It's going to be "some large dangerous monster is making a mess, go take care of it.", which is a fine quest, but I'm not really sure how to make that set anything up. Considering the other two do, that's not a huge deal, but I'm also wondering how to reward them with things besides gold for slaying the monster, as I don't know why a monster would have items on it. Any ideas?
>>
>>53153467
Drunken typo. The colour of distance by Amy Thomson is the actual book.
>>
>>53153369
I have a player who either accidentally or on purpose made a fucking Keyleth minus the druid part. What's worse is he tries to metagame as hard as Orian did when he was on the show.

I always resist the urge to target him as hard as possible because even the rest of the party treats him as a joke.
>>
File: lietome-happy.png (175KB, 562x354px) Image search: [Google]
lietome-happy.png
175KB, 562x354px
>5e
>two party members run off on their own from the party as the other members seem to be intent on fighting something they can't beat
>they fall into a trap and are surrounded by 30 orcs

game end there

>warlock thinks I'm trying to kill their characters off and doesn't turn up
>the other guy is a monk and hasn't really been contributing much
>the orcs a sick from demon blood riturals meant to turn them into tanarukks
>they have a tanarukk boss and he's shouting about taking them alive to use for blood riturals to help strengthn the orcs
>monk on his own charges though 5 orcs killing 4 of them in one turn
>javalins rain on him but though luck out of 25 D20's only 7 hit, 2 crit but then do pathetic damage anyway leaving him with 10 hp left
>he grabs the boss and pins him to use him as cover from javlins
>the boss breaks out and misses three attacks
>monk stuns the boss and hits him with a ton of punches doing almost the maximum damage each die
>next turn stuns him again, despite the tanarukk having 20 con
>combo's him again, 2 attack crit and he's racking up damage
>one more stunning strike but it fails
>despite the tanarukk no longer being stunned he lands every punch other than 1
>tanarukk uses a reaction to swing with advantage and misses
>takes his turn attacks 3 times misses
>monk has run out of ki
>hits him with two attacks
>both attacks do the exact amount of damage to finish him off
>the orcs stop fighting the warlock and run away leaving the warlock with exactly 10 hp left aswell

>meanwhile the other half of the party manage to beat the stupidly powerful demons they were fighting too by restraining them and blasting them constantly with elderich blast. (3 warlock party)

>mfw I just wanted an empire strikes back arch where the party are at there low point
>mfw though clever fighting and pure luck they managed to get though it without taking loses or being taken captive.

>mfw the warlock missed out on a great sesh
>>
How well could a barbarian/Hexblade warlock work out?

My Barb is about to hit lvl 4 and due to story reasons my DM and I agree that I could take start taking levels in warlock. If I really wanted to make this work how could I pull it off?

Stats are 18,14,16,11,13,15
>>
>>53153564
Well for a start you should stop multiclassing UAs.
>>
>>53153611
I second this advice
>>
>>53153564
I think it would be best to keep taking Barbarian levels until 5 so that you can bring your STR to 20 and get Extra Attack. Then take 2 levels of Warlock for Cursebringer and another invocation.
>>
>>53153482
Maybe someone or something summoned the monster, and when they kill it it leaves a scorch mark of a certain sigil on the ground.
>>
>>53153635
I meant 3 levels but you get the idea.
>>
>>53153482

There are five stages in an Overcoming the Monster plot.

1. Anticipation Stage and Call
The reader learns about the monster from afar, including its powers and reign of terror over the nearby community, and the hero accepts the call to defeat the monster.

2. Dream Stage
The hero prepares to fight the monster while it is still a comfortable distance away, although the distance between the two is decreasing. In film, a training montage usually fits in right about here.

3. Frustration Stage
The monster’s power is revealed in all its terrible glory, and it looks like our hero is in way over his or her head.

4. Nightmare Stage
Cue the epic battle music, because it is ON. And it’s not going well for our hero, who is being absolutely pummeled by the monster. But wait! Just as all hope is lost, the major chords start peeking through on the background score, because the tide of battle is about to turn.

5. The Thrilling Escape from Death, and Death of the Monster.
Monster is defeated, hero emerges victorious, and the grateful people present him/her with treasure, a kingdom or something to rule over, and/or the local village hottie who is the hero’s perfect other half.
1. The quest hook. The players see the damage the monster caused to the people. Burned crops, eaten children , gold turned to lead. Bonus points if it destroys something the players own.

2. The players to prepare to tackle the creature. Read up on it at the local library. Gear up.

3. The players find the monster but it has an Invincible hide/ can reanimate/ can regrow limbs.

4. Players fight the monster. Allow players to lose. Create consequences beyond a too ( The village burned down , families eaten,forever known as the badgers bitches for fleeing from a dire badger.

5. Gold / magic items are solid rewards. monsters covet these too. Others can include areas of land , a princess, heroic status , a house, home base, inn, followers( saved hostages) , monster eggs.
>>
>>53153611
Thanks no fun police. If the DM is ok with it then why not just fuck off?
>>
>>53153366
Spellcasting remains one of the ugliest parts of the system, no doubt.
>>
>>53153670
How you make sure 4&5 happen, instead of the PCs just killing the monster?
>>
>>53153446
This is helpful, thanks.
>>
>>53153151
>"is there a weak point?"
>"yes, our plan!"
Kek, gets me every time
>>
>>53153723
Sam and Travis make that show
>>
>>53153460
My group has 1 female and so far what you say seems right. She's investigative, good at rp and has cool ideas in combat even though her character's stats are a bit weird.

I think it's fine having a mix of players but too many females would be rather annoying.
>>
>>53153700

4 is the players fighting the monster. You follow the game rules to play out the combat. If the party win they get the rewards from 5 . If they lose by failing to kill the monster they suffer the appropriate consequences.

Those choices are up to you and dependent on the monster and gameworld. A dragon may have a hoarde of gold the players can acquire . It may also attack and destroy the village if the players fail to kill it. An ogre might not have any treasure but the local lord may have offered a plot of land for anyone that slayed it. The ogre may eat said lord if players fail to kill it. Etc.
>>
I want to make an action packed, 80s action movie one shot so my players can take a break from the intrigue filled part of their campaign.
I can either go for a team of fantasy SWAT going commando on a bandit cultist lair, or I can have a squad of hardcore paladin strike squad dropping in on Strahd's castle from orbit to go on a holy rampage and unsuccessfully take the vampire down (yes, I play 40k.)

The question is, what would the class of a fantasy SWAT be? I was thinking hunter ranger for the stealth but I don't want spells to slow down the action (paladins just smites all day everyday.) Or should I just make them all champion fighters with proficiency in stealth and high DEX?

Between the two one shot options, which one is more brainless action flick and fun?
>>
>>53153639
Oh, that actually works super well. Thanks anon!

>>53153670
That seems like a way bigger monster battle than what I'm going for, but this does seem like a good idea for later on when they're fighting the really bad shit, so thanks to you as well!
>>
>>53153151
I made a mistake when making that image Fenthras does not actually deal an extra 1d8 piercing damage.
>>
>>53153723
I know that feel, the other one that gets me is Travis's reaction when Vex comes up out of the bath after her brother is done talking to Percy.

>>53153754
This man gets it
>>
>>53153974
Eh it's all good at least it gives people an idea of what the hell it is they have.
>>
>>53153859

This formula works any scale from fitting a level 1 boar to a adult dragon.

If the monster the players are tracking down and killing isn't a meaningfull threat, if consequencesand rewards don't exist for it, if there's no real anticipation or build up then it's a dull encounter. Best left to random encounter tables.

You've actually helped convince me to remove such encountera from my own game and revamp them as when I think about it go x to kil x with nothing else is a yawn fest. So thanks to you too.
>>
>>53154020
Ya welcome, anon. Now that I'm thinking about, I can actually fit it into the plot pretty damn well, and can make the actual way they get the main reward from it (delivering certain parts of the monster to either a magician's guild or local church) also play into it, in a way that also means I don't have to write around those two places existing later on, which I would have to have done if they just dropped them in there.
>>
>>53153810
>I want to make an action packed, 80s action movie one shot so my players can take a break from the intrigue filled part of their campaign.
my advice is to have them reenact assault on precinct 13 but with orcs and stuff, could be fun.
>>
am I the only one who enjoys using silver, copper and even electrum and platinum pieces?
>>
>>53154126
I did that already with giants. The group are escaping a horde of giants after a heist gone wrong and are taking shelter in a semi abandoned outpost. Shit's fun, but I'm aiming for the players to be doing the assaulting this time around.
>>
>>53154203
Personally I dislike electrum, but we use platinum so we're not having to lug a fuck ton of gold.
>>
>>53154220
They have to bust into a place with hostages A team style
>>
why does a feudal setting have bars and allow mercenaries to do the work of knights?
>>
File: Pyremaul.png (73KB, 918x812px) Image search: [Google]
Pyremaul.png
73KB, 918x812px
>>53153151
They made another one!

It's kinda boring...
>>
>>53153810
i think you could take in account for swat:
Paladins: Heavy assault guys (the ones with heavy armor, big shields) good to have upfront as tanks

Fighters: Medium assault guys: more nimble, can use ranged weapons if you want, but still can get well in a fight. Room clearers, if you want.

Rogues/thiefs: stealth/recon guys. think Sam Fisher from splinter cell. Fill them with gadgets. caltrops, poisoned blowguns, etc. try to make them with some strenght to grapple a guy and intimidate with a knife.

Rangers: the snipers/K9 of the group. you can do well with a longbow, heavy crossbow or handling the animal companion to search for hidden stashes.

Wizards: Tech guys. make them drop out the lights, use a an arcane aye as an optic fiber wand for spying under doors, etc.

Clerics: i think they could be the medics/riot gear of the group.

But seriously, rely a lot in gadgets. portable rams, caltrops, bearing balls, (i dont know if there's something like flashbangs on D&D)
>>
>>53153151
Whisper is literally just the teleporting power from final fantasy 15/the kingsglaive movie.
>>
>>53153117
Didn't they just?
>>
>>53151673
"no strings attached" apart from needing 15 strength or have your movement fucked, also for level 3-5 good luck getting plate/+1 armour consistently.
>>
>>53151681
>what if i have high dex?

Wear medium armor and stop wasting spells known/slots on useless defensive shit that is absolutely outclassed by high AC?
>>
How would you make a guy capable of healing or harming with acupuncture needles in 5e?
>>
how can one minmax the shit out of a dex based Eldritch Knight

my stats:11, 14, 12, 16, 12, 12
>>
>>53154276
When is the right time to give a fighter or paladin plate?
>>
File: 1491607218891.gif (996KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
1491607218891.gif
996KB, 290x231px
I feel like doing some storytime of our last, rather amusing, session:

>party was in dungeon
>turns out Lich was using it to ascend
>break into his chamber too late
>he's already finished and about to leave
>his cultists hold us up, Cleric breaks through and charges at Lich
>he falls over dead for obvious reasons
>half-goddess friend able to teleport us out of collapsing temple because we managed to break the magical barrier set up around it
>can't revive Cleric in time
>goddess has an idea
>let's open a portal to hell, jump in there and help him get his soul back
>DM intended to make the Cleric's trip through hell serious
>Cleric pulls dumb jokes and puns at every opportunity like he usually does and all of us are laughing our asses off
>Cleric confronts death god controlling the highest circle of hell
>god pissed because Cleric stole some souls from him by reviving people before
>half-god friend opens portal, grabs Dwarf Berserker by his shirt and jumps into the hole, telling the rest to "just keep things from coming out"
>every caster in the party trying to fight a horde of demons and devils coming out of the portal
>meanwhile half-goddess announces the Cleric was her champion (total blantant lie) and that she demands a competition for his soul
>says Dwarf is her fighter without even asking, pulls an extra-dimensional sword out of thin air and just shoves it into his hand
>death god summons 15 foot tall devil as his fighter
>Dwarf has to 1v1 a fucking Pit Fiend at level 10
>somehow fucking does it by dodging all but 1 attack and critting 3 times
>meanwhile my Wizard mentally broke a Chain Devil by smacktalking him as our Tiefling Wizard subdued and confused a dozen Imps by telling them to piss off in Infernal as she was blowing the Lemures to bits
>Chain Devil finally defeated by Polymorphing him into a lemure (the monkey) and tossing back into portal
>Cleric is now a Paladin, Berserker is KO for 3 weeks and our pub is trashed and needs renovating

Fun session.
>>
>>53154269
Mercer's in the game surprised are you surprised?

Still a cool weapon though...
>>
>>53154311
I'm a firm believer in about 7-8.
>>
I'm thinking about having my players encounter some shady folk in a gambling bar and have them play some games for info or treasure / whatever. I don't just mean they roll to see who wins in game, but actually whip out a simple card game or dice game and have the players play it, while allowing them to use sleight of hand to attempt to cheat.

Has anyone had experience doing this? I was thinking about having them play one round of Liars dice since it's simple and fast
>>
What sorts of quests could you send a group of chromatic dragons on that wouldn't end in them killing one another? Metallic dragons are easier, I think, but same question.
>>
>>53154303
Cleric and fluff. Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds, later on Heal and Harm. Prayer of Healing for that out of combat 10 minute acupuncture session for the whole party.
>>
>>53152681
>Yo, I'm a monk from China!
>>
>>53154252
I like this one. No cleric nor wizardssince I don't want to overwhelm my players with spells they dont know. As for the gadgets, alchemy fluid is basically C4 and there are spells that can simulate smoke bombs. I'll figure something out for a flashbang.
>>
>>53154274
Not yet, they had a one shot week and came back after a year gap. Then Pike's family showed up and turns out they are assholes except for BJ (Xenokeer 2.0)
>>
>>53153366
Let's be real, 5e is "trap option, the edition". So many classes have them.
>>
>>53154311
Starting at level 5-10 gives 600-700 GP in dmg, 11-16 gives 6000-7000 plate armour is 1500 GP. so somewhere 7+ they should have the cash to buy it.
>>
>>53154248
Who's this designed for, Grog?
>>
>>53154554
My guess is yes because it's a hammer and he's been rocking the dwarven thrower
>>
I'm trying to come up with a magical sword with multiple effects, only one which is effect at a time, and I'm trying to figure out if each one is worthwhile compared to the others. It's a sword with a gem of four colors in the hilt, and upon starting a fight, the player using it can roll a 1d4, otherwise it's just a plain +1 sword. Depending on the number roll, the gem completely becomes one of the colors, and gets an effect depending on said color.

Red: Sword becomes wrapped in fire. On a successful hit, an enemy takes 1d3 fire damage for the next 1d5 turns
Yellow: The sword begins to crackle with lighting. One a successful hit, enemy takes an extra 1d8 lighting damage
Blue: The wielder and the sword become covered in ice, giving the wielder +1 AC
Green: Razor sharp wind begins to circle the blade. Instead of doing a normal attack, the wielder of the sword may choose to send a blade of wind at an enemy up to 30 feet away.

I'm mostly concerned with the two damage dealing ones. The fire one could be used strategically, I suppose, but I feel like flat out "more damage" would be wanted every time.
>>
File: 1488076727932.jpg (42KB, 285x287px) Image search: [Google]
1488076727932.jpg
42KB, 285x287px
>>53154542
I wasn't aware we were talking about pathfinder.
>>
>>53151478
Bring the SDR/OGL first few pages.
They probably won't read it, but you are allowed to copy portions of your books for you and a few people.
>>
File: 1456958920439.jpg (115KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456958920439.jpg
115KB, 413x395px
>>53154592
>>
>>53154554
I think it just for the campaign guide and might not be added in the game.
>>
>>53154542
>Let's be real, pathfinder is "trap option, the edition". So many classes have them.

Ftfy senpai
>>
How would you stat a laser pistol in 5e?

I had it as advantage on attacks, but no stat bonus to attacks, and 1d8+3, but that was while a bunch of goblins were using laser rifles. A PC got a pistol though and wants to use it herself, and those stats seem a bit janky for something to actually give the players.
>>
>>53154693
Look in the DMG.
>>
>>53154693
There are stats for one in the DM's guide, iirc.
>>
>>53154693
Why?

It's just a laser pistol. It should just give 1d8 heat/fire damage, maybe with stat bonuses. Why in God's name did you decide it should get advantage?
>>
>>53154284
>Eldritch Knight
>Using spell slots on anything besides useless defensive shit

Let's be honest, how often are you casting anything other than Shield? Maybe Protection from Good and Evil occasionally.
>>
File: 10gbw50.jpg (81KB, 666x1023px) Image search: [Google]
10gbw50.jpg
81KB, 666x1023px
>>53153564
Depends, but it should go well. What archetype of Barbarian did you pick? Totem mcs quite nicely with warlock for its resistance to all forms of damage and for armor of agathys giving you temp health an punishment damage on top of that temp health. I'd make sure to pick that spell up and test it out at some point, even if you're a berserker or some ua barb.
>>
>>53154693
I'm pretty sure there's there are stats for a laser pistol in the DMG. Search for the Firearms section.
>>
>>53154693
a laser pistol is 3d6 radiant damage in the DMG
>>
>>53154693
Never give your NPCs anything you don't want the players getting their hands on.
This shit is why my campaign turned from Dark Souls into Attack on Titan.
>>
>>53154740
It's literally point and shoot. Wind doesn't affect it, gravity doesn't effect it, there's no spalling of a bullet, it's light speed. If you want more excuse, it's a second-long pulse and does damage to anything you sweep the beam across. And they were initially in the hands of goblins, where I wanted to make sure they at least got to hit a few times.

Also, you know, I've a very poor grip on 5e and my ability to judge power levels in it is a very tenuous thing.

>>53154736
>>53154727
You're kidding me, right? Oh my god...
>>
>>53154780
Dude, that should be a +2 or +3 to hit, not advantage. I hope your campaign doesn't have a Rogue, or else you're screwed.
>>
>>53154499
when you figure the gadgets, let me know.
>>
>>53154817
That should absolutely not be a numerical bonus to hit. Nothing external should be.

Advantage is fine, if silly.
>>
File: 1485035245272.jpg (16KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1485035245272.jpg
16KB, 240x240px
>>53154779
I'm gonna give my guild of assassins dual-wield wristcrossbows and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
They'll swallow concentrated alchemist fire and burn to a pile of ash if they're defeated in combat
>>
>>53151013
Mastermind Rogue. The core rogue is super good at kiting at mid ranges, and to have one that auto-advantages another player's attack or check is bonkers. Plus, I like the other benefits of the class because they work in campaigns that interact with people.
>>
What's the most unique magic item you're received or given to a player
>>
>>53154596
Oh I'm going to make them read it for making me hand draw maps for six sessions when they should've just printed the files.
>>
>>53154841
Advantage is waaaaay more powerful than a +hit.
>>
>>53152737
Uhhh... Dice Camera Action is by far the best example of real play. One guy misses half the game, they fuck literally everything up, and Perkins gleefully tortures them.
>>
>>53154841
And yet +1 swords exist.
>>
>>53154883
Magical wooden scale mail for my druid that increased his flight speed in beast form.
Higher AC as an elf was nice for spellcasting, increased flight speed when beast form as Circle of the Moon was great.
>>
>>53154895
No, a +hit is more powerful because you can then stack advantage on top of it pretty trivially.

If we're mathing it out, it'd depend on what the base roll needed is.

>>53154909
And are a horrible mistake, yes. Just like Expertise and Bardic Inspiration and Archery Fighting Style.
Bounded accuracy only works if if's bounded.
>>
>>53154927
5e countered HP bloat by decreasing AC and keeping hit bonuses high past early early levels.
>>
>>53154927
Bounded accuracy doesn't mean you can't be allowed to be too accurate. Bounded accuracy means the challenges aren't allowed to be too hard.
>>
>>53154947
Yes, and utterly ruined their BA system by throwing shit at the concept from the word go.

>>53154960
BA means allowing bonus-stacking gets absurd.
>>
>>53154970
BA just means there is a ceiling for bonuses and the target numbers don't ever change.
>>
File: 1478573868950.jpg (112KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
1478573868950.jpg
112KB, 950x633px
>>53154582
Eh, too much damage and kinda fiddly.

Sword of Colorful Gems
>This +1 longsword holds 4 charges. Every day at dawn, it regains 1d4 charges. You may expend 1 charge by touching one of the four gems set in the hilt.

>Red
>When touched, all damage dealt by this weapon is fire damage for the next 8 hours and can ignite flammable objects.

>Yellow
>When touched, all damage dealt by this weapon is lightning damage for the next 8 hours and gains a +1 Attack Bonus against foes in metal armor

>Blue
>When touched, the sword may be used to cast Ray of Frost for the next hour. Strength is the Spellcasting Ability for this attack.

>Green
>This gem consumes 2 charges rather than 1. When touched, the sword coats itself with Basic Poison.
>>
File: zEk4TA.gif (951KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
zEk4TA.gif
951KB, 320x180px
>it's another autist argues with everyone thread
>>
>>53154817
A rogue had joined just about that time actually, but fortunately wasn't the one to get it. But then again, he took the sunsword meant for the bard, so it's only fair that the machine herald bard get the laser pistol.

AFAIR, advantage is like a +3.5 or something, mechanically? Anyway. I'm thinking either a +2 to hit, or advantage- the former being less, the latter being possibly excessive- and because ~reasons~, one shot/day, storing up to the listed magazine size.

I'm really not certain on the bonuses to accuracy though. 3d6 radiant seems like an awful lot more damage than I was prepared to put down. But hey, fucking lasers.
>>
>>53154927
If you are that worried about it then I don't understand why you would give it either of the options.
>>
>>53155008
They're all "autist argues with everyone" threads.
>>
>>53154997
>Green

Unless there is a higher DC on the save that one is useless
>>
>>53155032
Poison's pretty nasty. Considering that you can use that and then immediately use one of the other gems, it's a useful option when you don't think you're going to be using all of your charges in a day. Plenty of monsters can still fail a DC 10.
>>
>>53155028
Some threads it's one person disagreeing with another, this guy you can tell he'll argue even if he's proven wrong with the hard numbers by another autist.
>>
>>53155022
If it were my game, I wouldn't hand out laser pistols and if I did I wouldn't be giving accuracy boni with them. And I never said I would.
>>
>>53151393

I honestly don't think the blasting on EKs is THAT bad. Single target it's probably better to just attack, yeah, but even at level 12 or whenever you get your 2nd 3rd level spell slot double fireball/lightning bolt is STILL pretty strong.
>>
>>53155054
Yeah, non of the monsters that matter where using it would be helpful, unless the DM completely botches a roll, even then by a certain level that won't matter.
>>
File: reglas básicas D&D 5ª 0.7.pdf (905KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
reglas básicas D&D 5ª 0.7.pdf
905KB, 1x1px
Don't know if anyone here needs/want this, but here are the basic rules translated to spanish.
would be nice to add them to the trove
>>
>>53155021
If you keep the "no ability bonus to damage" then a longbow does up to 9.5 and the laser averages 10.5. If you allow ability bonuses, it is ~60% more damage than a longbow.
>>
>>53155093
So then replace it with a different ability? You could check out the Dagger of Venom for inspiration.
>>
What do you think about Lore Mastery Wizard?
We are playing Out of the Abyss campaign
>>
>>53154970
Bounded accuracy is in the difficulty classes. The limited bonuses is a different thing. That's part of the simplification.
>>
>>53155157
I'd hate you forever as a player or DM
>>
>>53154997
Hmm, kind of charges too much from my original concept (a weapon you would have to think on the fly with, on the account of the random ability and each one being different), but I think it HAS set me on the proper path, so thank you, anon. Good name as well.
>>
>>53154382
Chromatic - slay powerful dragon hunter, kill ancient metallic, summon tiamat
Metallic - Bunch of younger dragons may seek out legendary hoard of treasure, protect/fight humanoid kingdom in a humanoid war, stop the summon of tiamat.
>>
>>53155157
Don't do it. It's overpowered bullshit and steps all over sorcerers.
>>
>>53155164
Why?
I'm thinking about changing the element to just one element for Spell Secrets, being lightning the one, and at latter levels (8 or 14) to sisters elements (or a Cleric that teaches me the way of the divine so I can change it to radiant in those levels), but not more than two. For saving throws I'm thinking about not using that feature until level 6 or 10.
>>53155260
But would the thing I wrote above make the thing more viable?
>>
>>53154382
Give them some kind of reason to not kill each other- maybe help each of their backstories come together in such a way that killing any of them is for various reasons undesirable.

Force them to work out intra-party politics and influence competitions but never allow out-and-out violence to be viable.
>>
>>53155291
Because the lore wizard is plain broken and the fact the WotC thought it was ready for even play testing is insulting.

It takes arguable the best class, when played by someone who knows what they're doing, and makes them better by giving it access to sorcerers and bard features.

Personally I ban them at my table for that reason and no amount of "rework" to put off their progression would change my mind.
>>
>>53155291
Let me just say that if you wanted to play a sorcerer with those Lore Master abilities, I'd definitely allow it. Not as a wizard though, because they are already good enough. And even then I wouldn't allow radiant damage, because that shit should be reserved to clerics and paladin, with very little exceptions (like Sunbeam or Sunburst).

But I'm not your DM, so you should talk to them. Still, as far as I'm concerned Lore Master should've never existed.
>>
>>53153151
>Spire of Conflux
but does it summon Progenitus if you break it??
>>
>>53155379
What if:
the saving throw for Dex-Str could be changed to Str-Dex at lvl 8 instead of anything to anything at level 2. And Dex to Int from level 14 (quickness of mind and stuff)
and, you could change the element to acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, just to one at the time, one element for level 2, two for level 8 or 10, three for level 16.

Would that be more even?

>>53155359
Then again, Theurgy Wizard, what do you think about it?
>>
>>53154382
You that guy who was putting together a dragon party a couple weeks ago and making a class out of it? Maybe not, his were all metallic I think.

As for your question:
>all chromatic dragons have received mysterious spectral summons. Step one is descending deep under the sea by way of the Coral Labyrinth to consult the Deep Oracle
>each of the dragon party members were assistants to older, more powerful dragons who (ran guilds, maintained huge libraries, etc etc) and all their masters died suddenly and simultaneously. Seek out the reason. Possibilities include- exceedingly powerful magic user wants artifacts from each location. The older dragons were cursed to die on X date after going on a very similar journey together. A lich secretly poisoned them all to raise them as dracoliches
>unfathomable alien beings have infiltrated and overtaken the societies of small, stupid things. Destroy the aliens and retake your loot and dotage
>>
File: thesin.jpg (52KB, 472x700px) Image search: [Google]
thesin.jpg
52KB, 472x700px
How can I be a no armor wearing cleric/priest?
>>
>>53155574
Don't wear armor
>>
>>53155574
Monk 1/ Cleric X

Redemption Paladin.

Play a Theurge Wizard.
>>
>>53155574
dude just wear your vestments over chain mail
no one can tell
>>
>>53155574
Honestly just don't take armour on a Light Cleric or something. Even without it you have more HP then a Wizard.
>>
>>53155553
Nah I'm a different anon. I was just going to hand my players the MM stat blocks for a young chromatic dragon and let them play it out however. Did the metallic dragon anon have any homebrew rules worth mentioning?

Thanks everyone for your ideas so far!
>>
>>53155485
Even with those changes, I'd still say "If you want metamagic, be a sorcerer." And I honestly would have no issue giving those powers to sorcerers as a whole. I already have some houserules buffing the class slightly.

Theurge wizard is also regarded as one of the overpowered UA subclasses.
>>
>>53153784

We have 1 female and I felt like she was judging me CONSTANTLY when I did stuff like try to make up plans. There was one point where I was eating dinner (we were playing at my place) and I wound up dropping a little bit of food like a dumb and I realized she was staring directly. at me. Her "judging face" kind of soured the session for me a little.

I certainly wouldn't judge every girl ever based on her though. She's a...special case.
>>
>>53155626
Cannot remember much of it, he had a PDF he was editing and posting as people were offering him tips and ideas. Maybe if you're lucky he'll be in the thread and post it.
>>
>>53155638
I don't want to sound like an ass, but it could all be in your head. Maybe because she's the only female you're feeling like you have to act differently around her compared to a group of all males, when you accidentally do something "Boorish" I guess then you feel like she's judging you more then the other players do.

Either that or she's just a bit of a judgy arse.

I have to say one of the best parts of being gay is not giving a fuck about women, they're complicated things.
>>
>>53155686

>I don't want to sound like an ass, but it could all be in your head

it might be. i honestly have a lot of trouble telling when it's nothing or when people honestly hate me.

>Maybe because she's the only female

This is probably going to make me sound like more of an asshole but I don't ever really think of her like a girl. Kind of? It's hard to explain but I've never felt emotionally or physically attracted to her so I'm not really worried about leaving a bad impression in that regard, I guess...Idk.
>>
After last thread's discussion on playing monstrous classes, how do you feel about it?
how does you dm feel about them?

And not just monsters being played as PCs but stuff like dragonborn, tabaxi, kenku, etc. too.
>>
>>53155637
Even I can see that Lore Wizard is overpowered, but I really like the setting behind it so I'm trying to be reasonable about it.

What would make Theurge Wizard more viable?

And my DM won't ever buff sorcerers. I just want to play a magic class, but I don't want to rely role-wise into Cha but Int or Wis
>>
File: ShadowSorcerer.jpg (8KB, 215x450px) Image search: [Google]
ShadowSorcerer.jpg
8KB, 215x450px
I'm playing a Shadow Sorcerer with 16 Con, how durable will I be later on?
>>
Quick, just hit Level 5 wizard, what third level spells should I pick up?

Currently thinking Counterspell and Fireball
>>
>>53155974
depends on the settings of the campaign but Counterspell is a yes and Fireball could be replaced by lightning bolt.
>>
I'm playing my first game of D&D. I've only done a few sessions.
Is it normal for this shit to drag on for so long or is my DM just really slow?
We do a 5 hour session every Saturday and pretty much every 3rd session is literally 5 hours of walking around town talking to NPCs.

It's like, every single encounter he has to get into a new role and act out this whole thing. Why does it take me 25 minutes to buy some armor? I don't need the blacksmith to give me his life story when I just want to buy a set of armor.

Sometimes it seems life this entire thing exists just so my DM can felate himself and show off his voice acting skills.
Is this normal or am I just being a bitch?
>>
So I'm kind of new this game and I wanted to make sure that you don't get the stat increase every four levels total, just four levels in each class. Right?
>>
>>53156028
If the numbers you're giving are accurate, then that is excessive. I don't know if your DM is new or what, but he needs to be more judicious about how he uses game time.
>>53156030
Right, because some classes get extra ASIs, so you get them when the class tells you.
>>
>>53156069
Are cantrips the only thing that consistently increases over time cross-class, barring HP and Proficiency?
>>
>>53156028
Yeah it sounds like your DM is being excessive.
>>
>>53156069
>>53156129
A lotta people wanna be Matt Mercer lately.
>>
>>53151053
There are various class features such as create water, food, goodberry or ranger's benefits or outlander background's benefits that make survival pretty meaningless, and if the players have a town to stop in they can just pile up with rations.
>>
>>53155903
I mean, your game is your game, anon. As I said before, you should talk to your DM rather than strangers on the internet. As for Theurge, besides stepping all over the cleric, firstly you're giving a wizard healing spells. Secondly you're giving them a broken Channel Arcana (+2 to saving throw DC is fucking powerful) that scales on the same levels as Channel Divinity. If you ask me they should get one use at level 2 and a second use at level 10 or 14. To top it all off they gain a cleric domain 17th level ability at level 14, which is obviously bullshit.

tl, dr; Wizards of the Coast really loves wizards. Who'da thunk.

Whatever your DM decides, though, for the sake of your fellow players, don't go Lore Master if there's a sorcerer, and don't go Theurge if there's a cleric.
>>
>>53155974
i took hypnotic pattern and haste, but just because i knew i could get fireball and leomund's tiny hut soon afterwards.
>>
>>53153308
>You should take the at-will spells
Generally I find you don't need the at-will spells often enough unless you build your character around it to make up for how often you'd use it if you had normal spell slots.

You should use those invocations on stuff you need like devil's sight, repelling blast and agonizing blast, maybe book of ancient secrets.
>>
File: 1526_1.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1526_1.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>53156028
It's both normal and you're being a bitch.

DMs come in all different flavors. Some players love the improv acting. Some are like you and just want to skip over the mundane shit to get right to the exciting parts of the ADVENTURE!

Neither of you are right or wrong. It's just a matter of personal taste. The trick is to find a DM who runs their games or suited to your own tastes.
>>
>>53156129
>>53156136
Yeah well to be fair this is like the second time he's ever DM'd and apparently he obsessively watches critical role so that's probably exactly what it is.
>>
>>53156136
My DM once literally said "I want to be Matt Mercer"
>>
if you were a brain eating aberration, what pronoun would you use for yourself?
>>
>>53156105
Nothing else occurs to me but I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm forgetting.
Dragonborn breath weapon I suppose. Maybe some other race features.
>>
>>53154862
You could do the same thing simply by getting 'find familiar' as arcane trickster, freeing your bonus action to make even more attacks. A second attack is often just as valuable as giving someone advantage considering it's an extra chance to land sneak attack, not to mention the other archetypes will also give you extra bonuses after you've avoided an archetype that really just gives you something meh-ish to do on a bonus action when you already have a billion things to do with a bonus action..
>>
>>53156187
xzlormp
>>
>>53156187
Sirebrum
>>
can someone help me flesh out this idea for a mechanic?

the party is introduced to a npc who was a smith and armorer for a fallen empire's army. the smith is capable of infusing any equipment he makes with the essence of fallen creatures and is knowledgeable with working with rare and magical materials. problem is, he cant remember how to make most off the magic items, so the players just have to keep giving him materials to see if any of them will result in a magic item.

for example, if a player provides some orc tusks, the weapon the smith makes with them might let the wielder run up to a creature after he attacks another creature.

or maybe armor made from imp skin will grant immunity or resistance to fire damage.

also is there a good list for special materials?
>>
>>53156171
>>53156172
While doing a DawnforgedCast binge I saw a video called 'How Critical Role Affected D&D' that kept popping up in the playlist, but didn't watch it yet.
Personally I never got into it because watching other people play never really appealed to me, but I guess enough people are into it. I usually leaned more towards the combat stuff but I still hold acting in-character to be pretty important, though not really ACTING acting.
>>
>>53156161
That's fair. I can appreciate the acting and stuff when I'm into it, but when we're 4 hours into a session and I'm having to listen to my DM do funny accent #12 being eccentric character #15 just so one of my party members can buy a health potion I get a little bored and want to do some fighting.
>>
>>53156204
:D
>>
>>53156194
>Not taking Historian on a Mastermind

It's like you're not the 70 y/o criminal who knows a little bit about everything.
>>
>>53156221
I get that. And there's nothing wrong with it.

If you like the group of friends you're with, ask them if they are enjoying all the funny accents and acting or if they'd rather just get on with the game. If most of them would rather just get on with it, everyone should have a talk with the DM.

If you're the odd man out while everyone else is having a good time, it's time to politely pack your bags and bow out.
>>
>>53156147
Thanks you for the advice, it's my second campaign into D&D, played a Bard in Ravenloft and it was both awesome and just enough powerful -everyone died at least once but me-

And as a last question, what do you think about Grave Cleric?
>>
>>53156187

I? Is this a first grade question?
>>
>>53156263
>Allowing historian
>>
>>53156221
Let him know. Say hey, sometimes NPCs with voices and personalities are cool, when they're important, or have a point, but otherwise it seems like you're wasting effort. And besides that, when you drag out a conversation with just one player to do something simple like make a purchase that leaves everybody else floundering.
>>
>>53156306
>Not having fun even if it is a little unbalanced

As pointed out Mastermind is pretty pointless next to an Arcane Trickster. Why not let them do something cool?
>>
>>53156323
I mean, I would, if it actually played out better than spamming the help action on every skill check claiming to be an expert on everything and trying to find 'Historical examples of a man jumping over a pit'.

The feat doesn't really seem fun, just stupid.
>>
>>53156323

I wasn't impressed with AT when I played it. Swashbuckler is easily the strongest Rogue archetype though.
>>
Well, we saved some slaves, had a lovely party that lifted everyone's spirits, cured a powerful druid of a curse that drove him insane, buuuut the BBEG's right hand sorcerer managed to resurrect her (evil) sister.

All in all, a decent night.
>>
>>53156366
Good shit. Right hand sorcerer that resurrects bitches sounds like target number one.
>>
>>53156349
Different tastes. I personally find the idea of some guy going on about the historical application of pit jumping through out the 13th century to be more interesting then another Arcane Trickster with BB and an Owl Familiar.

I will agree the feat's wonky and obviously needs some fixing but having a chance to give people expertise on skill checks isn't too OP and if anything will lead to more interesting situations. As long as you make sure the player has a reasonable way to actually help with their examples.

>>53156362
All Rogues are pretty good but Swashbuckler will win 1v1 Whiteroom and is probably the best in combat. Personally I'm a fan of Thief just because I find ways to use their mobility well and our games are pretty high with magic items.

Really the Rogue chassis is just solid. It has all the combat abilities it needs within 2 levels and everything else is just defence and extra combat stuff.
>>
>>53156194
>His DM lets familiars live
AT even has to use his spell slots to cast it.

Master of Intrigue is the ultimate con-man ability in the game so far, Insightful Manipulator tells you how strong someone is along with history and personality, Misdirection is crazy situational but you mostly use Uncanny Dodge anyways, and Soul of Deceit turns Master of Intrigue into something that no amount of magic can overcome.

Like I said, it's excellent if your game has actual people in it instead of monsters/environments as the focus.
>>
>>53156349
>Historical examples of a man jumping over a pit
>Evel Knievel.png
>>
File: Fuckin D&D.pdf (630KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin D&D.pdf
630KB, 1x1px
>>53153202
>>53153395
You might as well just use Here's Some Fuckin' D&D, though I bet people will still be confused by it.
>>
>>53156406
Around level 7 rogues are basically impossible to kill through conventional means until into the teens.
>>
>>53156406

I like Thief too, but my rating of it is high because I think it's fine for the Thief to use Alchemist's Fires and Healer's Kits with Fast Hands.
>>
>>53156406

The thief is probably tons of fun if you have a DM who lets you get creative with items. I'd love to play one but I'm worried I'll just miss the utility of the AT without a lenient DM.
>>
>>53156362
Hardly. Swashbuckler first encourages melee, which is the weakest option for rogue unless you have booming blade or green flame blade. Guess who gets those? AT. And then the AT can just pick up mobile.

Swashbuckler is good, but I'd call it 'rogue: easy mode'. It's just plain and simple, whereas Arcane Trickster is harder to get the most out of. Swashbuckler gives you +initiative, auto-disengage and at-will charm, but arcane trickster gives a wider range of benefits.

>>53156406
It mostly feels like a second person spamming guidance on everything. So now whenever you try to make a skillcheck the guy with guidance and the guy with historian are both jumping on board to cheer for you, and this happens to almost every single check you make. It'd be so much nicer to just say 'Roll it' than 'Okay, how many buffs are you stacking this time?'
>>
>>53156428
'Gee, I guess you could die jumping over this pit.'
"Thanks, historian."
'Also I guess people in the history books generally landed on their feet when they were successful.'
"Thanks, historian, but I'm already fucking proficient in jumping over pits, I know more than you do."
'But wait, it says here in 386 that one of the pits was a mimic!'
"Pretty sure this isn't a mimic."
>>
What's the point in/How do you use a dagger? Fairly weak effects
>>
>>53156504

Hm, that's a thought. I've literally never seen a ranged Rogue before. I should do that some time.

I suppose I might have thought more of the AT had I taken GFB or BB, but there was already another guy using GFB at the table, and yet another guy using BB. My autism wouldn't have been able to stand it, I fear.
>>
>>53156442
THis is pretty true. With Expertise in Stealth and bonus action hiding your chances of someone even able to target you are low, and if they do you can use Evasion and Uncany Dodge.

>>53156443
True, if you actually carry shit on you then it's really handy. Also being able to pick pocket as a bonus action's fun and people always seem to forget that it's easy for you to not have a chance to cast it before combat happens.

>>53156504
>So now whenever you try to make a skillcheck the guy with guidance and the guy with historian are both jumping on board to cheer for you
As long as you enforce that Guidance requiters Concentration and touch. Also that the Help action requires a reasonable explanation on how you're helping them.

Another thing is out of combat skill checks are pretty much expected for you to succeed.
>>
>>53156515
That's precisely the scenario where it is indeed a mimic.
>>
>>53156270
They seem fine, on the more powerful side of things. Their Channel Divinity is the only thing I'd worry about, since it can absolutely wreck any boss, especially if paired with someone that can burst damage, like a paladin smiting. But even then it doesn't seem troublesome, if only because it requires cooperation with other PCs and its other class features are all about keeping the party alive, and I like that, as a DM who enjoys difficulty but not character death.
>>
>>53156515
No, I mean literally.

But yes, the same basic principle.
>>
>>53156403
I almost stopped the ritual but she counterspelled me.

The bigger concern is honestly the very powerful knight who has a hate-boner for me.

Though considering our BBEG is an actual goddess...
>>
>>53156274
I guess I could always describe the backstory in first person.
>>
>>53156552
Asking for explanations and all that makes it even slower as everyone has to justify every time how things are going and you have to moderate whether people get bonuses or not.
>>
>>53156628

Oh. Well, you could use he or she, depending on whether or not it's a male or a female. Crazy idea, I know.
>>
I wish shardminds and giths show up as official races soon.
>>
>>53156681
but they are hermaphroditic and shit, i guess they could use the pronoun of the thing the ceremorphosed out of...
>>
>>53156739
"they"
>>
>>53155183
Just have them roll a d4 at the start of each of their turns for a minute and give it those effects
>>
>>53156774
i don't like they because it makes absolutely no sense in my mind, as my first language only has gendered plural pronouns, there's never a not-gendered pronoun ever, plural or otherwise.
>>
magic items you can have fun with
or magic items that make you better at killing niggas?
>>
>>53156794
Oh, that's fair enough.

I would probably just default to masculine pronouns, then.
>>
>>53156794
When there's a lack of gender him/he/his are the default ones.
>>
>>53156796
Magic items you can have fun with.

Screw this 'You deal X extra damage' shit. That's practically meaningless. In fact, if anything, it devalues taking actions that aren't 'I attack'.
>>
Inquisitive and Mastermind should be merged into one archetype, y/n?

Inquisitive honestly just feels half assed and it's only real use is getting an insight-only Reliable Talent for 3 level dips, otherwise it's "Swashbuckler but worse", while Mastermind falls flat for anything but spamming Help.
>>
>>53156796
Fun
>>
File: images (1).jpg (22KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
22KB, 300x389px
Hey, can anyone help me with info and lore about Torm? I already read the wiki page, but it doesn't give me much to go on.
>>
>>53154900
Dice Camera Action is a pretty straight read from the Modules spare a bit of character bleed over from the previous campaign.
>>
>>53155638
Seems more like your own insecurity. Even if she was judging you it doesn't mean dick in comparison to your own self esteem/confidence unless you lack it in which case she was judging you for having an inverted penis.
>>
So I've got a bunch of gold and not much of an idea on what to spend it on. What sort of stuff can I get with about 6000 gold as an 8th level character?
>>
>>53155766
Nothing wrong with Dragonborn spare I haven't seen anyone play one whose not at least a little bit of a tit.

I have a Kobold and an Orc in my party, the Orc is related to a half Orc character and conducts himself in a manner fitting his situation.

The Kobold I have NPCs treat like a Pidgeon or other vermin.
>>
How would you feel about a Trollkin/Oni themed Barbarian archetype that tanks via Regeneration? Or is giving PCs regen an inherently broken idea?
>>
>>53157221
Champion Fighters gain regeneration, up to half their maximum HP. At level 18. So yeah, at level 3 it'd be pretty busted.
>>
>>53157221
Eh. Barb is kinda broken as is with all the resistances stacked on their high hp. Doesn't seem like regen can break it that much more
>>
>>53157221
Barbarians already have rage granting them a reduciton in damage total. Regeneration would require a whole lot of messing with so it doesn't become "I'm at full hp all the time".
>>
>>53157296
>>53157221
Not the guy suggesting, but what if they regenerated instead of reduced damage?
>>
>>53157221
You could probably have stuff like 'If you would make a death save after being brought to 0 HP while raging, you can instead of rolling stand up with [Barbarian level] HP'
Or gaining temporary HP every turn like with heroism.
>>
>>53157291
>Barb is kinda broken as is with all the resistances stacked on their high hp
You have to be retarded. Barb's are good but the reason they have that much Health and Resistance because Reckless Attack is one of their key features they need to be doing good damage.
>>
>>53157221
The level 6 battleragerfeature could be inspiration.
>>
>>53157303
Because then if it scaled like crazy, it would be gimped as hell. Taking half damage on just about everything won't compare to "I regen 10 hp" or whatever at the start of each of your turns.
>>
Do Rogues get to choose when to sneak attack or are they required to do it when they meet the stipulations?
>>
>>53157353
They get to choose when, but it's rarely a good idea to not sneak attack unless you're a champion/barbarogue/something with three attacks and high crit chance.
>>
>>53155766
Every character I've play is a monster race (somewhat new). I don't play them like special snowflakes though. I give them a mundane backstory that fits the creature and roleplay them according to their race. Lizardfolk see things as their uses (mostly food). My Kobold Sorcerer obsessed over being part dragon.

As a DM I wouldn't mind it. I banned Dragonborn, Tiefling, and Yuan ti. Everything else with a PC stat block was game. They all went half elf anyway
>>
>>53157332
Something based on Immortal's temp HP is what I was thinking at the moment.

Roughly
>while raging at the start of your turn get CONmod temp HP if you have less than your max and more than 0, this temporary HP can stack but cannot go above your maximum health

So you get a pseudo-regeneration that falls off once the rage wears off.
>>
>>53157321
Half damage against most attacks makes Reckless attacks disadvantage sorta meaningless since the monsters effective damage per turn drops significantly
>>
>>53157291
>all the resistances
Only bearbearian gets that, otherwise they only resist physicsl damage.
>>
>>53157353
It says 'can' in the ability
>>
>>53157422
True, but most damage is going to be bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing unless they are fighting wizards
>>
>>53154309
>he fell for the INT meme
well, commit sudoku and roll another
>>
>give Artificer Warlock spell slots/level progression
Good idea or shit?

Would make Infusing a lot more valuable, and as far as I can tell wouldn't break anything since their spell choices are so limited.
>>
>>53157353
Yeah you can choose, but say for example that you roll your two attacks at once, hit both and crit on the second. You can't say you sneak attack on the second now that you know you crit.
Only if you were to roll your first attack, hit, say you won't sneak attack, then roll the second. But why would you do that?
>>
Is there anything in classical mythology or related things that I could relatively reasonably refluff the Aetherborn race as?
>>
>>53157377
>this temporary HP can stack but cannot go above your maximum health
Aside from being OP it breaks one of the key rules of the game about the "Temp HP doesn't stack" and would have a lot of janky shit.

You could do "At the beginning of your turn while Raging you gain Temp HP equal to your CONx2". Immortal's one is a permanent effect so it should be a bit worse then yours which requires rage, but it's also dependent on INT which is worse then CON. Also remember that this Temp HP is effectively double the amount against weapons.

Remember too look at what other Barbarians get, even Bear's half-damage is worse then being able to have x2 HP like your idea and Bear's one of the best things in the game. When homebrewing you're obviously going to try and make something as powerful as the best option, but you shouldn't. Homebrew should never be equal to the best option the class has but it should be the best at fufiiling the certain role you have in mind.
>>
>>53157514
This is why you don't roll at the same time.
Also maybe I'm playing a critfishing Barbarogue or something.
>>
> want to play Neceomancer Wizard
> Doesn't want to be a dick with 9000 skeletons and eat up everyone fun
> DM doesn't feel comfortable allowing skeletons swarm as one single unit
>>
File: barb cleric of kord.jpg (127KB, 996x608px) Image search: [Google]
barb cleric of kord.jpg
127KB, 996x608px
When multiclassing between War cleric and barbarian what would be the optimal class to start as and when should I switch to the other?
>>
>>53157742
Finger of Death build :^)
>>
>>53156961
> Swashbuckler but worst
Wrong. Insightful Fighting is better.
You don't get cuck when you go 1v2 on enemies. You can sneak attack even with disadvantage (longbow without sharpshooter? Darkness? Blink? No problem at all)
>>
>>53157812
How does that help me not becoming that guy with 9000 zombies? Finger of Death create regular zombie, not super zombie.
>>
>>53157809
Barbarian for more hp.
You only need bonus action attack from War Cleric, so as soon as possible?
>>
File: The Wounded Dragon.jpg (1018KB, 1581x1398px) Image search: [Google]
The Wounded Dragon.jpg
1018KB, 1581x1398px
Ladies and gents, the new thread: >>53157904
>>
>>53157837
You better be a Zealot Barbarian with a Greatsword for that classic Kord feel.

Also what's your build? I was thinking of the same thing with Barbarian X/War Cleric 2-3 but I dunno. Does anyone know if Clerics get any good de/buff spells without concentration?
>>
>>53158043
Spiritual Weapon is the tits.
>>
>>53158081
Oh that's actually a good idea. Guess I will go 3 into Cleric for that and it even gives me a kinda good Ranged Attack while I stay in melee.
>>
My tiny 3-person group is starting a Curse of Strahd game soon. Looking through the recent Unearthed Arcana, I notice they finished the Mystic a bit ago. Can I get some input on how well it plays? What subclasses are most optimal? Can I carry my under-experienced friends well enough with it?

Failing that, Any recommendations for what I could carry them with?
>>
>>53158043
Warding Bond + Barbarian could be fun.
>>
>>53157742
>one single unit
You mean compiling them into super skeleton or all on one initiative? Because the second is how the game is meant to be.
>>
>>53151393
*dispells your magic*
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.