[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>rogue PC keeps stealing my money What's an in character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 11

File: pickpocket_general.jpg (72KB, 282x169px) Image search: [Google]
pickpocket_general.jpg
72KB, 282x169px
>rogue PC keeps stealing my money
What's an in character way to get him?

Before someone suggests, I talked with DM and he told me to solve it ingame. The problem is that I cannot accuse him because I haven't figured out it was him (I know it but that would be metagaming). I do know that my coins keep disappearing (by keeping a hidden note on paper, then counting), so what's a way of getting him in the act? And when I do, should I give him a warning or go to violence?
>>
Punch his player in the face.
>>
>>53147681
Treat your coins with contact poison, see who gets the symptoms.
>>
>>53147681
>I talked with DM and he told me to solve it ingame.
Tell your GM that he is a colossal faggot, only he can't draw.
>>
>>53147712
That would be actually interesting, any alchemy shop I take? I could go there and ask to buy in private, but he would probably find it suspect.

Still he wears gloves. I could wait him to scratch his mouth or any other sensible place, but I'm not sure he would roleplay that without I pointing this out.
>>
>>53147681
Just rig your coinpurse to explode when opened, and store most of your money in the form of gemstones on your person.

Or use counterfeit/illusory money, like glamering a bunch of stones to look like coins. Then kill whoever you see trying to spend some stones.
>>
>>53147681
What's your character, OP?
Just so I can calculate a hypothetical scenario and solution for you.
>>
>>53147827
Rig my coinpurse? Seems good, but how exactly would I do it?

Counterfeit money seems good too, but I would have to ask our magic user for it and hope he doesn't spill the beans.

>>53147851
I'm a human paladin.
>>
>>53147770
Store all your money in your anus. He can't pilfer your coonpurse if it's empty.
>>
>>53147681
Good old mousetrap in the wallet!

That, or exploding runes on the coins themselves.
>>
>>53147906
Probably a bomb on some kind of tripwire, sewn to the opening of the purse, so it goes boom when opened? Throw in some coins for shrapnel and disguise.
>>
>>53147913
There are people in real life who actually stored a cellphone there, but I'm still trying less desperate things.
>>
>>53147906
>I'm a paladin
What edition and what level?
>>
>>53147681
Swap your coin purse with a bag of holding containing a ravenous bugbear. Or a venomous snake/spider in your normal coin purse.
>>
>>53147927
Would I buy it from a blacksmith? And I would need to hire a rogue to arm it, correct?
>>
>>53147966
Arm it yourself.

You have healing powers.
>>
>>53147954
5e, currently at level 2 since it's pretty early.
>>
>>53147979
I don't have traps expertise. Can I still attempt it?
>>
>>53148008
Again, you have healing skills.
>>
>>53147982
First of all, I'd like to go on record saying that you should tell your DM and the rogue PC that it's not fun to get stolen from by your own party (especially when you're playing a COOPERATIVE GAME) and try to solve it by talking it out.

Assuming (read: Knowing) that either you or your DM/rogue are turbofaggots and won't play nice, you should be getting Perception checks to counter his Sleight of Hand when stealing. If you haven't been, demand that you get your rolls. That failing, you can just stay near the party and no one else and see if the money still goes missing. When it does, confront the party and start a fucking witch hunt on the rogue player. If he doesn't stop or come clean by 5th level, Zone of Truth his ass. Get the party together, announce that you KNOW that someone in the party has been stealing from you, and ask everyone to accept the magic that you cast on them (OoC this means tell people to fail their save, since you can tell who passes and who fails when you cast ZoT). He'll either be forced to try his save, at which point you'll know for a fact that it's him anyway, or he'll try to avoid the question at which point it'll be obvious.

All else failing - if you've talked to people and they won't listen; if you're DM has actively tried to stop you; if your party is just ganging up on you in particular - if you're absolutely sure you still want to game with these people, just stop deducting gold from your sheet. If they're going to be fucking douchebags, be a douchebag back.
>>
>>53148008
>>53148033
He means you can try and arm it over and over again until it works, as any failed attempts can be compensated by your healing abilities.

>>53147681
I'd vote for the trap too, but instead of doing something flashy, make it be a piercing needle that deals 1 damage and some poison. You're outright immune to most poisons, so it's a low-risk trade.
>>
>>53147681
Group theft isn't something that should happen.

Your dm/gm is an epic faggot for allowing evil PC's.

You are already a metagaming faggot, for allowing your pally to hang out with a neutral/evil thief.

Drop the group. It will only get worse.
>>
>>53147681
Slap the player and the GM. That's some bullshit right there.
>>
>>53148448
If you're playing a non LG pally, you're hopeless anyway and deserve no fun.

If you're evil/neutral, which is the only reason you should hang with evil/neutral PC's, then you should expect shit like theft.
>>
>>53147681
Just accidentally stab his character every time he steals from you. Then roleplay how upset you are about accidentally stabbing him.

Just do that every time. And tell him that you think you're out of healing spells.
>>
>>53148334
>the dm should make the player stop because a dodgy thief being an asshole to people he works with is not nice or FAIR

Fuck off. Not every RP is a safespace hugbox.
>>
>>53147681
Wait till he stabs you in the back ( literally).
Your PC hangs out with scum, expect to get scummy.
>>
>>53148334
>just stop deducting gold from your sheet
This is also a good idea.
>>
>>53147681
i can only say that it seems the GM is friends with the player and is on their side, talk to the player yourself
>>
>>53148544
So edgy and tough.
>>
>>53148544
Don't worry anon, someday you'll find a group that can appreciate your wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>53148544
>I should be able to have fun at someone else's expense and they should have no real recourse to stop me
I'd argue the point further if I didn't already assume that you're both braindead and morally bankrupt.
>>
>>53148544
Shut the fuck up. People who make asshole characters and do asshole things in game are, spoiler alert, still assholes. Nobody cares if it's what your character would do, you're still a dick for making a character that would do that.
>>
>>53147681
Is it metagaming? Your paladin has found coins missing from their coinpurse, and presumably only one person in the party is obviously stealthy enough to do that consistently.

If everywhere you go you're getting your pocket picked, and the only suspects are your four friends, one of whom is a pickpocket, you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes.
>>
>>53148544
Yeah it sure is fun when a campaign gets derailed
>>
>>53147681
Stop playing with assholes.
>>
>>53147681
Get a bloodhound.
Stain your coins in mint.
When they're next missing, tell the dog to seek.
>>
>>53148599
Every one of the half dozen I've played with over 15 years, thank you very much.
>>
>>53148635
I hope someday you realize that not everybody on the planet follows your hugbox mentality. Plenty of people are fine with characters who act like this when its believable. Guess what? A piece of shit thief stealing from other people is pretty believable. What's wrong with wanting to play a character like that? Why do you want to restrict everybody to nice and friendly stereotypes? Can't handle that there are people who think differently from yourself?
>>
>>53149026
inb4 we find out he's some old, bitter baldy from Texas with "strong opinions".
>>
>>53149066
You know what's believable too?

A paladin that doesn't take your shit and kill you. Party broken. Game. Over. Do you get it yet or are you still tripping over muh e-politics?
>>
>>53148617
I'm not arguing that somebody should have fun at someone else's expense. I'm trying to make you realize that there are people out there who have no problem with this thief character in their games while everyone else in the thread is acting like its complete shit and shouldn't be happening. I didn't say anything about the particular thief in that example being a great player doing everything fine, merely berating the asshole acting like everybody who plays a character like this is a piece of shit.
>>
>>53149098
So where did I say that your example was a problem? If someone's character wanted to fight mine for something they did in-character then I don't see the problem with that. Every action should have a consequence. You might take it as a 'game over'; I look at it as people roleplaying and having fun in a game. If someone has a problem with the way someone else's character is acting then that is a personal matter they should take up but don't act this type of character should just be brushed off because most of you don't like it.
>>
Acquire a bag of devouring in secret and start feeding it small coins. Wake up the next day and check to see who is missing fingers.
>>
>>53149101
>I'm not arguing that somebody should have fun at someone else's expense
>Thief is stealing coins from party and sowing turmoil in game group
Please pick one.
>>
>>53148658
This.

>>53147681
Son of a bitch you are overthinking this.
Your character is having coins stolen from their purse on a regular basis.
Your character needs to respond do that in character.
If that's deducing that the thief in the party is the one thieving from him, then do so in character.

If the player has somehow someway made it impossible for you to guess that the pickpocket in the party is doing the pickpocketing from your coin purse, perhaps by only stealing from you while in city crowds, then simply glue your coins in your coin purse.
When he goes to steal them they will pull on the coin purse and you should notice this if you have it on you and you will always have it on you.
No good plan should ever be more complicated than two or three steps.

Unless PvP was declared as part of the style of the game you're playing, the player is dick for making a character that works against the group and your DM is a dick for allowing such a character.

If your paladin is traveling with a known thief and dishonorable pickpocket, what did he expect?
>>
>>53149066
>A piece of shit thief stealing from other people is pretty believable.

Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.
>>
>>53149156
It's not even my example. I'm observing this from the sides. Let's see how you enjoy your roleplay when your character gets his skull smashed with a hammer because he's obviously a traitor to the cause.
>>
>>53148668
If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters then you are doing something pretty wrong and your campaign is too restricting.

>>53149174
My argument is about the character type. Your argument is about a specific example. How many times do I have to say it? The thief in your particular example is an asshole, yeah, you should talk to him about it. I'm saying that there's a place for this type of character while everyone else is just saying its a bad thing.
>>
>>53147681
How stupid is your character? If he's not a complete retard he's going to notice that someone is stealing his money, and since the thief character is playing a character who looks like a fucking thief (why wouldn't he, the player is obviously a retard), it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out, even in character.
>>
Is it a combat heavy game? If so, do everything you can to get him killed. Never flank with him. Never heal him.

Also, if they have shown off their rogue abilities in front of your character, your paladin can just make the deduction that thief = person stealing from me. Play it off as prejudice even.
>>
>>53149188
>what did he expect?
Redemption. People can change. A Paladin wants to convince people out of their wicked ways and can forgive, but if they refuse, he smashes.
>>
>>53149204
Why automatically assume its going to be so one sided? You have a problem with pvp?

>>53149195
And there are a lot of people in the real world who do much worse than this.
>>
>>53148544
Babbys first rogue
>>
>>53149216
>If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters then you are doing something pretty wrong and your campaign is too restricting.

Really now? Like threads here don't get derailed by two anons flinging shit at each other, and it's not even an organized game where their presence matters?

>How many times do I have to say it?
As many times as you need to understand. The asshole character has a place yeah and it's away from the party, since alienating people is what an a s s h o l e does. Give one good reason why they should tolerate him if he doesn't play ball.
>>
>>53149195
>Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.
This.

You steal from your crew, you're done. That's it.
>>
>>53149248
>You have a problem with pvp?
I find you awfully twitchy and quick to accuse anon.

>stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.
Give that man a cookie, on my tab.
>>
>>53149216
>If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters
>>53149278
>two anons flinging shit at each other
Neither anon, but any but the strictest campaign should be able to whether this.
Not every group can.
Never play a dick if the group doesn't want you to.
>>
File: 1487301483406.jpg (47KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
1487301483406.jpg
47KB, 480x432px
>>53147681
I have a some ideas, but I have a few questions first; do you want the solution to be non-magical? If so, do you want it to involve greivous bodily harm? And is there anyone else in the party who has demonstrated particular sneakiness or capacity for theft (if not, and you guys are actually adventuring, you've got part of the solution right there)?

Here are a few simple non-magical solutions that don't involve trying to rig a coinpurse grenade.

>Mark your coins.
If the faggot has a marked coin after a theft, boom, done.
>Buy a lockbox.
It will at least slow this bullshit down.
>Have a tailor sew hidden pockets in your clothing.
Again, not a long term solution, but still a bit of a stopgap until you can make one.
>Invest in trade goods.
Another stopgap, but one that works more permanently, because unless the faggot has a bag of holding he's not exactly stealing a bag of flour.

More complex and dangerous solutions involve the following:

>Taking quests for the party for free
If it's about money, act like a paladin and accept quests with no material rewards for the entire party; if questioned about it, simply state that since your god has clearly taken a disliking to monetary wealth, if your mysteriously dwindling coinpurse is any indication, money clearly holds no value.
>Put the Rogue in situations that force him to be harmed to access your money.
Bear-traps are quite fun for this; you can also point out to the entire party that if your own coinpurse is in danger, so to must theirs, and have it all put in a communal pot that EVERYONE wants to guard.
>Mislead Rogue into stealing that which ought not be stolen.
You're a Paladin; place of religious or fealty-related significance are of great value to you. They also have the most easily recognizable shit in the world.
>Befriend the rogue.
Or, you know, you could be an adult and just ask him to stop stealing your shit; yeah, you don't have proof, but you're literally relying on each other to not die.
>>
>>53149367
>Never play a dick 'to the party' if the group doesn't want you to.
Sorry.
>>
>>53149101
>I'm trying to make you realize that there are people out there who have no problem with this thief character
You literally came into a thread where the OP clearly had a problem with this kind of character, and then told someone who was telling the OP how to solve the problem that he should fuck off and stop wanting a hugbox. I don't know how the fuck you think you're making people realize that this kind of character is ok, but it blatantly isn't when it tramples on someone else's fun, WHICH IT CLEARLY IS. So let's recap. OP is having his fun interrupted by this thief player. Someone said that this shouldn't happen. You come in screaming about people wanting a hugbox simply because they wanted to not have people stomp on their fun. The guy who called you braindead wasn't using strong enough language, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>53149239
>Redemption.
Fair answer, but a bumpy path to be sure.
>>
>>53149216
>everyone else is just saying its a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing but it is the kind of thing that should be agreed upon beforehand.
Like erp.

If it's supposed to be a surprise then the DM should know, okay it first, and at which point he might just tell the Paladin to handle it in character.
But the Paladin might not just attack a fellow PC unless he knows beforehand but the player is okay with it.
Communication is alwys better.
>>
File: 1484067948415.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484067948415.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
>>53149248
>And there are a lot of people in the real world who do much worse than this.
And they have another thing in common, anon; they usually have horrifying fucking deaths.
>>
>>53149418
Duh. Obviously not working out with this one. It's hammertime.
>>
>>53147681
What proficiencies do you have OP? I'm an expert problem solver.
>>
>>53149098
This
>>
>>53149195
>Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.

Which is why only fools play with a group of evil pc's. Unless they're ALL evil.
>>
>>53149302
>You steal from your crew, you're done. That's it

If the thief is evil or even neutral......why wouldn't he? It's as in character as showing group loyalty while being evil/neutral.
>>
>>53147681
Enlist the rogue to help you solve the case of the missing coins.
Set a thief to catch a thief after all.

It probably won't solve anything, but it'll be funny.
>>
>>53149216
>I'm saying that there's a place for this type of character while everyone else is just saying its a bad thing

So, I make up a tentacle monster, and using poison, I drug and rape your PC, then say, HAHAHAHA, U didn't know it!!! Don't metagame!! hahahaha!

It's the same as having a thief rob party members.

So, is there a place for that type character?

A thief who steals from party members, is the same as the guy who drugs and rapes party members. Now, go trust that guy with your life in the next dungeon.
>>
>>53149791
>It's in my character to have no self-preservation instinct
>wtf you're a bitch and you can't take it that I roleplay
Dude.

That thief is a dead man and that's his own fault.
>>
>>53149768

You don't need to share alignments to have trust.

>>53149791
>why wouldn't he
Because he has front row seats to what his crew does to the opposition.
>It's as in character as showing group loyalty while being evil/neutral.
See my reply to the other guy
>>
>>53149791
Because that's completely stupid. Because everyone know you do shady things and they will quickly figure it out. Because they may rat on you, or beat you up. Because being evil and neutral doesn't mean you don't care about people you like.

There's a ton of reasons.
>>
>>53149768
Nope, an evil PC can perfectly like his crew and agree to not steal from it.
Evil stupid is the problem.
>>
>>53149862
>Because being evil and neutral doesn't mean you don't care about people you like.

>Because being a child molester (evil), doesn't mean you'll molest EVERY child.

Mkay.
>>
>>53149860
>You don't need to share alignments to have trust
Real people can't even stand different taste opinions, they go to war over political ones. Why do you think they'd trust each other over different morality and psychological fabric?

>>53149862
I would accept it if someone was trying to FRAME the thief actually, but apparently that's not what is happening.
>>
>>53149854
>That thief is a dead man and that's his own fault.
I'm who you replied to, and I 100% agree.

My point is, that thieves that steal from party members, and claim it's "IC", make me wonder why the other PC's would put up with their faggotry?
>>
Suffer the exhaustion level to stake him out at night and stay awake but keep your eyes open enough to look asleep but still see who's doing it. Post up at camp away from the party and rest up against a tree.

Catch him in the act and cut one of his hands off.
>>
>>53149897
>Why do you think they'd trust each other over different morality and psychological fabric?
Traditionally, there is some sort of overarching save the world quest in these games. Evil people are allowed to save the world just as much as Good people, even if their personal reasons for doing so differ.
>>
>>53149883
That's completely beside the point.
But actually it's true, it doesn't mean you will molest every child, you may not molest the child of your brother because you like him.

And a thief or a thug will probably not steal or beat up his close friends. Having shitty morals doesn't mean you have no feelings and you don't care about anyone.

>>53149897
Don't understand your answer. I'm just giving reasons for a thief not to steal from his party, I'm not talking about the rogue PC
>>
>>53149937
>That's completely beside the point.
>But actually it's true, it doesn't mean you will molest every child, you may not molest the child of your brother because you like him.

And do most decent people hang out with that guy? Trusting that "since he likes me and I'm his brother, he'll never diddle my kids"?

IMO, nope.
>>
>>53149966
And that's completely beside the point.
I'm not defending the rogue PC, I'm not saying "well you should like him anyway!"
I'm saying that there is good reason for an evil people to not hurt his crew. Then, it depends on the group if they accept his criminal ways or not.
>>
>>53149188
I would just like to add that if your solution involves killing the thief, the player will just make a new character determined to get even with you.

If you wear armor, you can store the money in your codpiece. Write this on your character sheet, but don't tell the DM. When the DM says you have less money, declare that you caught the thief when he attempted to steal and are now taking him to face the law, then point to the writing on the character sheet when the dm says it's not so. If he still insists the thief wasn't caught, get up from the table and leave, and tell everyone you know not to game with that dm.

A paladin could also appeal to the church for help, in the form of trueseeing and inquisitors.
>>
>>53149933
Yeah and he isn't doing it. He's fucking with the party. I want to save the world, not take chances with criminals insane enough to steal from the party paladin.
>>
>>53149998
> the player will just make a new character determined to get even with you
That we shall also smite.
>>
>>53150019
Smiting the player would be quicker.
>>
>>53150033
You must get the player to flip his shit first. THEN people will think you're justified. It's stupid but that's how groups of humans work.
>>
Bury your real coin pouch somewhere and carry an identical decoy, except one filled with the medieval version of an ink pack they use in banks. Something nice and permanent that shoots forth when the coinpurse is opened. Might be a bit hard to find someone willing to make it to your specs and could get expensive but it's the best way of doing it.
>>
>>53149991
>I'm saying that there is good reason for an evil people to not hurt his crew. Then, it depends on the group if they accept his criminal ways or not.

see
>>53149966
>Trusting that "since he likes me and I'm his brother, he'll never diddle my kids"?
>>
>>53150101
Try something that makes noise. You want the Paladin to know.
>>
>>53147681
place marked coins with Xs in your pouch. When the thief steals them from you, go rooting through his stuff while he's asleep (because of course you'd be suspicious of the thief when stuff goes missing and no one's around), you can then confirm that it was him.

The next reaction is probably expulsion from the party or death, depending on people's morality.
>>
>>53150102
Are you drunk?
I never said that his crew SHOULD accept him, or WILL accept him.
I only said that an evil person can have reasons not to hurt his crew. THAT'S ALL.
Stop searching something else, you're moving the goalpost hard, or you forgot how to read.
>>
>>53147681
Carve a scratch on everyone of your coins. Next time the rogue or another party member is unconscious quickly check their coin pouch to see if there are any coins with scratches in the same place so you can rule out who is/isn't the thief.
>>
>>53150144
If you guys don't want to start shit stop insulting the OP for things he never even said in the first place.
>>
>>53150136
>kicking out a sneaker
>not expecting him to sneak back and steal / kill
>>
>>53147681
Just accuse him of stealing in-game. Unless this is the type of game where PC's can be persuaded with a high enough charisma.
>>
>>53150144
You're point is invalid, because you're arguing against something that wasn't claimed.

An evil person CAN have reasons to not hurt his crew, just like a child molester CAN have reasons to not fuck a certain kid. PC's that have any common sense (or people in real life), wouldn't hang out, OR entrust their lives to such a person though.

Thus who the fuck would want someone like that in their group, ever? Unless the entire group was evil as well.
>>
>>53150181
The sneaker has seen and participated in the party's utter beatdown of their enemies. Unless he's got zero sense of self-preservation, why the fuck would he risk getting on the receiving end of said beatdown?
>>
>>53150237
Because assholes have to asshole. And evil has to evil.
>>
>>53150237
Revenge duh. You think a player that doesn't care about provoking party fights will care about that later on?
>>
>>53150209
My point is perfectly valid, because you're a fucktard who don't know how to read a chain post, or think that everyone responding to a post is the same person.

These are my ONLY POSTS:
>>53149862
>>53149937
>>53149991
>>53150144

I ONLY ARGUED that someone evil has tons of reasons not to steal from the crew, against someone asking why would he not steal from the crew.

You're a tard and you can't read, case closed.
>>
>Be Le Thief
>Hungry for money but for no reason
>Steal from other players instead of asking for a bigger cut
>Suck off gm so he can make other players "Figure it out in game"
>Le thief life is great
>>
>>53150253
So go evil asshole at people who are less provably able to tear your soul out through your rectum
>>
>>53150272
>You're a tard

>claims child molesters don't molest every kid, and thus a group could accept them
>calls others a tard
dude...
>>
>>53149791
Do you somehow think that being a thief means you have a constant urge to steal shit all the time.
>>
>>53147681
Ask mage for Arcane signature on a coin, ask the mage to detect it afterward.
>>
>>53150335
>STILL MISS THE POINT
fucking damn, you must be a troll because you can't be this stupid
>>
>>53150285
evil asshole doesn't equal smart asshole.
>>
>>53147681
Ask the rogue to hold your money, he is obviously the guy who would be best at counter-pickpocketing people, right? Also you're part of the same party, aren't you?
>>
>>53150345
>Do you somehow think that being a thief means you have a constant urge to steal shit all the time.
I've met very few Thief players who could go more than a few minutes without making a Pick Pockets check.
>>
>>53147681
If you do manage to catch him, you shouldn't kill him. It seems like the best idea to fuck the player.

But what you should do is either send him to prison or force him to do manual labor. What you want is to technically keep the thief around, so the shitty gm will force him to keep roleplaying as him, but he gets to do jackshit.

I mean, if the gm is willing to let a player take hard earned money from another player, then why wouldn't he let you turn him into a slave? Your only worry is keeping a leash on him so he can't run away from the party.
>>
>>53150345
Not at all faggot.

I do think that being a thief, and stealing from fellow party members all the time makes you evil.

And untrustworthy. (which also goes along with the evil part I guess)

Thus, why have that guy in your party? (IC speaking)
>>
File: 1492495044775.png (85KB, 421x294px) Image search: [Google]
1492495044775.png
85KB, 421x294px
>>53148544
I agree that the thief should be completely free to be an asshole, but that guy's absolutely right about the perception checks. The DM is either an idiot to ignore the perception checks or an equal asshole to the thief. Neither trait makes for a very good DM.
>>
>>53150237
>why the fuck would he risk
The player is obvious a shit.
>>
>>53150389
>I've met very few Thief players who could go more than a few minutes without making a Pick Pockets check.

I play mainly thieves. Never rolled up an evil one, or a neutral one, and never stolen from a fellow PC.

From my view, it's 99% druids who are assholes.
>>
>>53150389
Never understood that.

Whenever i played a thief i simply acted as a mechanic, taking down traps and other contraption. If i felt like an asshole i asked for expensive component or other pay in extra. Or charged when bodily injury befell me. Actually stealing is a quick way to get shit from the law, while being a locksmith with jew tendencies is perfectly legal and safer
>>
>>53150398
>The DM is either an idiot to ignore the perception checks or an equal asshole to the thief.

Or, the DM rolled the check himself, without alerting the player. Which is perfectly reasonable for a pvp issue that pops up.
>>
>>53150335
ill argue the point for the guy your warring against

Anon its this simple
If a Evil person teams up with 4 people to be adventurers and he pulls his weight and likes the people he is adventuring with (otherwise why would he even stay)
then he has 0 reason to steal from basically his own fucking treasure pool
Party's go 1 of 2 ways eventually
They start off with "Split the money"
And they once they get a lot of money either go through the tedium of splitting the money or say
"Fuck it we have a lot of gold i'm starting a group pool and pooling my money into it if somebody needs money just ask and you can have it"
The thief can steal from people much easier then other players
Why you may ask?
Because NPC's cant fucking meta-game
Included the fact that this thief doesn't seem to have a good reason to be stealing
Hes the equivalent of a fresh out of world of Warcraft rogue player
>>
>>53150395
I mean that wasn't what I was asking at all, so thanks for your opinions that I don't give a shit about.

You did actually answer the questions though, so you're better than most.
>>
>>53148916

This is probably the easiest/best way to do it. If you can get those two things without the rouge figuring it out you're good.

If your DM let's you guys kinda run around and narrate a bit what you guys are doing, wait for the rouge to say what he's doing so you know he can't "teleport" to accidentally surprise you. Write that you bought a hound and mint on a paper, fold it up and place it in front of you for all to see. When your gold drops again, flip that trap card nigga and bring out the pupper.

If he can beat that, your group sucks and your rouge has a tiny penis ooc
>>
>>53150446
>If a Evil person teams up with 4 people to be adventurers and he pulls his weight and likes the people he is adventuring with (otherwise why would he even stay)
>then he has 0 reason to steal from basically his own fucking treasure pool

Evil guys usually say, "Oh, just my fair cut, is plenty of gold, I've no reason for any extra"? Sounds more neutral than evil to me.

But whatever, I don't want to get a fucking alignment debate going.
>>
>>53150421
>From my view, it's 99% druids who are assholes.
Strangely, I can't recall a single druid who wasn't a pure asshole. Even when the player could play just fine an evil thief or a lawful good paladin without being an asshole to the party.
>>
>>53150459
>I mean that wasn't what I was asking at all,
>You did actually answer the questions

Pick one and only one anon.
>>
>>53150479
see you got it now
Its more like if the thief needed the gold for something id back him
but its doubtful because if that level of character development was happening behind the scenes he would just FUCKING ask the party for a little extra gold from their shares
>>
>>53150491
>I can't recall a single druid who wasn't a pure asshole.

I agree. And I don't really understand it. Maybe the act of writing "DRUID", forces a mentality change in the player?
>>
>>53150479
>Evil guys usually say, "Oh, just my fair cut, is plenty of gold, I've no reason for any extra"?

It's not about whether or not he wants more, it's about if he's enough of an absolute retard to think pissing off a group of people strong enough to ruin his day is worth more than he already has.

Evil is allowed to have self preservation instincts.
>>
>>53150497
I meant all that shit about "i think being a thief and stealing from party members make you evil." You did nothing but waste your and my time for typing that out.
>>
>>53150510
>he would just FUCKING ask the party for a little extra gold

Assholes can't asshole properly if they go around doing shit like that anon. And assholes don't know how to play any PC, without that pc being an asshole as well.

You speak about normal logic. Assholes follow a different path.
>>
>>53150539
As you yourself just did faggot?

>I meant
And I didn't go by what you meant, but by what you posted. You see anon, it's difficult to decipher your hidden meanings. Most people just go by what you typed. Maybe you should lurk more.
>>
>>53150547
Smart can act dumb, dumb can't act smart.

>>53150571
>lurk more
Abandon thread
>>
>>53150045

Ah the ole... "look how mad dis nigga is" game.
>>
File: 1399229908934.gif (285KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
1399229908934.gif
285KB, 300x100px
>>53150571
>Do you somehow think that being a thief means you have a constant urge to steal shit all the time.

This does not mean, in any way, that you should have a thief in your party, or that you should trust him.

Yet, you're so dense, you can't grasp that nobody argued that point except you. This is ridiculous.
>>
>>53147681
in-character duel.

number 1 salvation for all of my group conflicts. maybe play dirty if you need to just get rid of an incooperative/ malicious character.

also, do not make the plot in a way that it breaks apart without certain PCs, that's bullshit to begin with
>>
>>53147681
In-game ask the other pc's if their gold has been taken as well. It can't only be you that's being stolen from.
>>
>>53147681
Where are your party?
What class are you?
What's your alignment?
>>
>>53148544
Well, he's right. It's not fair and he's justified in complaining to the DM about the thief and how he doesn't get perception checks against the bastard. (That's a matter of balance, not [insert tumblr buzzword here])
But the rogue player and DM are also justified if they say "this is a PvP game and we don't care about balance", because that's what they're looking for.
And OP would be justified in leaving the group because he's not looking for that kind of game.
This doesn't mean PvP games are inherently inferior to fair and fully cooperative games (or superior, for that matter), they're just different.

In the end it's about communication and acting like an adult, you turbo autist.

>inb4 successful bait is successful
Pretending to be retarded, etc.
>>
>>53150696
He can't duel without his character knowing who to duel. Even if he follows that other anon's Zone of Truth advice and the thief rolls a save when all other players intentionally fail, or the thief refuses to take part for whatever reason, his character wouldn't know who to duel. Only the players would. The character could only be suspicious, and suspicion isn't enough for a paladin to duel someone he's adventuring with.
>>
>>53150571
>say thing unrelated to question answered
>get told the asker doesn't care, but did appreciate that you DID answer the question
>"HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT WAS WHAT YOU MEANT YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT????"
>>
>>53147681
How do you know it's him?
>>
>>53150762
>his character wouldn't know who to due
Only if you insist that catching the thief while his hand is actively in the paladin's pocket is the only way to know for sure. Process of elimination over the course of a few thefts is more than enough to make the thief the only candidate despite never having seen them.
Which is likely to anger the thief's player.
Which is a fantastic outcome.
>>
The party works together partially on metagaming. This isn't simulationist, it's a necessary concession to make sure the player's characters cooperate out of all the people in the world and it involves an amount of trust given for meta reasons. Abusing that trust is not abusing in character connections, but out of character connections.
This "handle it IC" shit is retarded. It's a problem created by out of character agreements. When the paladin met the rogue did he not ask, observe, or otherwise learn that the rogue's profession and lifestyle is thievery? That's a pretty big affront to Lawful types and a red flag even for neutrals. Hell, even other thieves might find it a problem. Yet they still partnered up because that's the game.
If you "have" to handle "everything" in character, don't even bother finding out who is stealing from your coinpurse. He's a thief, turn him in if you've got any dirt on him. Kick him from the party if you don't. Never accept someone like that in the first place. Become the no-fun paladin people complain about but hardly ever play.
But that's all bullshit and not fun.
>>
>>53147681
How to catch the thief:

Write powerfully erotic slashfic between your characters. Pull out all the stops. Leave no magical realm unentered. Keep it in your coinpurse for him to find the next time he goes for some dosh.

There is approximately zero chance he will not start acting differently upon reading it. That is how you will know it was him.
>>
>>53149216
Anon... Yes, thieves stealing from the party is perfectly acceptable in some groups, because all the players in those group enjoy it. But OP is clearly not enjoying it. Which means it is not the right time and place. Which is why we think it's really shitty behavior.

>>53149791
>why wouldn't he?
For the same reason he wouldn't leave the party mid-game and do his own thing on the other side of the world, you dense motherfucker. Because there are OOC rules governing the relationship between party members. A social contract, or whatever you call it.

"Stick together, do not split" is one. "Don't work against the other players" is another. They're both optional, of course, if the DM is willing to run individual adventures and PVP respectively, but they're something every player must buy into before the campaign begins.

It's that simple.
>>
>>53150841
Process of elimination also works, but how would you reliably eliminate the other players from the pool of suspicion?

The thieving would have to happen when they aren't around, so you'd need them to leave and have a way to confirm they were actually somewhere else and not stalking the party while the party thought they were away. I know that last part seems unreasonable but if you don't do it, the rogue is going make this big uproar about the lack of proof.
>>
>>53147681
Have a second coin purse, put your gold into this and coppers into the old one. Sleep with it, eat with it, bathe with it, make sure he is not aware of its existence.

Also dump a jar of red dye into the bag of copper coins, so you can tell him that he was literally caught red-handed.
>>
>>53150942
>the rogue is going make this big uproar about the lack of proof
Of course he is, but fuck him. He's already acting in bad faith.
>>
Tell your wizard and have his familiar stand guard. Bonus points if its gazer familiar.
>>
>>53148539
I like this idea. It's petty and doesn't actually do anything to address the underlying problem in the group dynamic, but fuck players who steal from other PCs
>>
>>53151066
It's still just simpler overall to catch him in the act via a trap than to logically eliminate all other party members one at a time. I'm assuming this happens mostly when they sleep, and the rogue is smart enough not to steal if it's only him and the paladin together, so process of elimination would take multiple nights as the non-rogues shift out to be eliminated. Meanwhile, filling his coinpurse with dyed or poisoned coins would be over and done with by the next morning
>>
>>53149078
What does Texas have to do with it?
>>
>>53150611
You beat him at his own game. It's bound to happen.
>>
>>53147681
Easy: Don't play with assholes, which both the thief and the GM clearly are. Next question.
>>
>>53149917
>My point is, that thieves that steal from party members, and claim it's "IC", make me wonder why the other PC's would put up with their faggotry?
If that was actually your point, why did you ask:
>>53149791
>why wouldn't he? It's as in character as showing group loyalty while being evil/neutral.
You're just fishing for arguments.

Yes, you can make a character that steals from their crew, and then they're done. That's it.
>>
>>53149383
Magic lockbox. Unless a certain process is performed while opening it, it makes a very loud sound when opened. Keep written tally of everything your paladin owns.
>>
>>53153658
Conceal it. Make sure he doesn't realize this will trigger an alarm. The goal is to catch, not deter.
>>
>>53149248
>Why automatically assume its going to be so one sided?
If a paladin INITIATES COMBAT with a rogue, damn right it's going to be one-sided
do you not understand that some classes are better at fighting than others?
>>
>>53147681

Does your player suspect another party member?

Fucking pretend to sleep and catch him in the act.
>>
>>53148528

Expecting party members to be friends/loyal is standard unless otherwise discussed, regardless of alignment.
>>
>>53150367
Nanomachines, son.
>>
File: 1473385777111.jpg (250KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473385777111.jpg
250KB, 1200x900px
>stealing from people you're going to spend an extended amount of time with
>stealing from people who know that you do theft and expecting not to get caught
>stealing from people that are very capable warriors
>stealing from people who your life could rely on
>stealing from people who will probably be around when you're spending the cash you stole from them

>not stealing from the rich assholes in the town you're about to bail from
>not stealing from travelers you pass on the road

sounds like your rogue is retarded and will probably get himself killed soon
>>
>>53147681
Steal from him.

Even if your roll sucks, what's he gonna do, fight you?
>>
>>53147681

Leave a trap for your party members.

Have the Wizard set an alarm spell on your coinpurse, so that the instant somebody tries to open it up and steal it, it wakes you up and you can catch him in the act.
>>
>>53148544
It's a dickish thing to do - not illegal or necessarily even wrong, but it's something that should carry a risk of punishment or failure. And generally it goes against the spirit of a cooperative game.
>>
Stop healing him/saving his ass in combat til he stops the theft. All ways ask to do a perception check as soon as he ask to pick your pockets.

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm a rogue and we have a LG knight in shining armor paladin that is always trying to catch me stealing. I try to avoid stealing from other PC's but nab shit off NPC's all the time. OOC Pally has threatened me with locking me up in chains and hauling me to prison himself if he catches me stealing. What do /tg/? It does add a nice element to theft attempts, it befits what his character would do, and i'm not going to be baby and ask him to stop trying to stop me but what do to keep my character out of jail? Not stealing is not an option. It's like 40% of why i picked rogue.
>>
>>53147681
Purchase a mighty purse dragon that shall treat your horde(pocket change) as it's own.

No thief will ever pilfer your coin purse again after their fingers become the dragons world famous smoked sausages.
>>
>>53157664
Become CG. Steal from the rich, or at least evil, and give to the poor. Let him catch up to you while you're handing over some Count's treasures to HIS needy temple that the paladin invariably forgets to donate to himself. Watch the moral crisis unfold.
>>
>>53157700
Thanks for the Idea. I'm already CG cuz I wanted to be communist Robin Hood. the only problem i've had so far is that we haven't been in contect with enough rich people and what few have seen I don't feel comfortable stealing from because I don't think my sleight of hand is that good.
>>
>>53157788
>I don't feel comfortable stealing from because I don't think my sleight of hand is that good.
Fair enough, but picking someone's pocket isn't usually the best way to thief. Start playing up other aspects of your character besides that one skill, as a rogue you should be invested in several, to start learning rumors, gathering dirt on dudes, and getting info on their fortunes and defenses and when and where you might be able to nab something. Then talk to your DM about setting up some minor heists. Pitch your plan and approach, and hopefully he'll either allow solo or extra sessions with you or whoever else is on board, or boil it down to a few rolls next session. It's unlikely your character's every waking moment is accounted for, and I think most DMs will accept rogues moonlighting as thieves to be a fair allowance.
It doesn't have to be a full Ocean's Eleven casino grab, just sneaking into a fancy rich people party and walking out with a handy haversack full of expensive tableware and candelabras is a solid act of thievery worth some coin.
>>
>>53147906
Cleave and smite.
>>
>>53147906
You could also enchance it with magic so when someone that isn't the owner opens it a trap triggers. Also you don't really have to ask the magic user of the party, just look for one at the next big town and hire them.
>>
>>53147681
Simple, ask the Rogue to hold on to all your money He can't steal from himself, and if any gets lost it's on him.
>>
>>53149248
>And there are a lot of people in the real world who do much worse than this.
If they do it to people they are trusting their lives to, they are absolutely fucking retarded, and there is no reason to go anywhere dangerous with them, or help them out if they get into the shit.
There's a reason thieves get the shit kicked out of them if they're caught in the armed forces.
>>
>>53147681
>PC keeps stealing my money
>I talked with DM and he told me to solve it ingame.
Go play with some less dickish people.
>>
>>53147681
If I were the DM I would start giving you opposed perception rolls with advantage to notice his pilfering. Since you are already suspicious you would naturally be a lot more in guard which makes a mark harder to pick pocket.

Then you would get a chance to smite that dick head so he would hopefully learn a lesson not to be a dick to other players. If you're class doesn't have smite then you would gain as many uses as you need to end him rightly.
>>
>>53148544
But It's what my Character would do!
>>
Either ask for opossed perception rolls or get someone from the church to cast a really high level zone of truth on the party.

Have you seen him robbing things? Do you know in character that he is a thief? Do you have a god inkling of this? Are there no other likely thieves in your party? Is anyone else having their coin nicked and/or does this keep happening wherever you go? Is kender m c ' kleptomaniac always with you when this happens?

Oh dear, looks like reasonable deduction makes it very likely that someone is about to earn divine wrath.
If he is evil then use detect alignment in character to "confirm your suspicions" then declare him unclean and heretical and go full juggernaut on his pseudo kender ass.
>>
>>53148334
This.
>>
Ask him for help.

Someone's stealing from you, and he the most observant one of the party. He's got the best chance to notice who it is.

Then stick to him like sovereign glue.

Then when he steals, you get to act shocked that anyone could get past his powers of perception and careful watch.
Why, they must be a master thief to make your friend look like such a clumsy, bumbling, halfwitted fool.
I mean, the only other option would be the rogue was doing the thieving.

But that would be unthinkable, you're obviously dealing with a king of thieves who makes the rogue look like an idiotic piece of trash who couldn't spot a dragon in front of him, whose skills are about as advanced as that of a child.

With such a master thief around, you should have the rogue count his money in front of the group as well.
After all, if they're that skilled, he may be at risk as well.
>>
>>53147681
Don't bother with any justification. Just decide your character knows he's guilty, and confront him. The scene will play out the exact same way regardless of how you handle it, because no evidence in the world is good enough for a dickhead thief's dickhead player to admit you caught him fairly. Even if you do manage to catch him in the act, you were metagaming by suspecting him enough to set out a trap.

I've been down this route before. It always ends the same way.
>>
>>53149066
>such weak bait
>/tg/ still falls for it
As expected from /tg/. But this is another reason I love this board.
>>
>>53160612
People actually believe this, though. Invariably they have pictures of themselves sneering while wearing fedoras, but they do exist.
>>
>>53149791

That's not evil, that's randumb evil.

Plenty of people could be the most heartless killers you'd find, and still know better than to steal from their own crew.
>>
The best way to solve this is to tell the Player (not the character) to stop being a huge cunt.

Not in my words, but that is the core of it.
>>
>>53147681

Have your character do a count of his coins at the start and the end of every day.

If the coin total repeatedly goes down no matter the location, especially if you're out adventuring with only the party members in bumfuck nowhere, it's entirely reasonable to suspect a party member, and to suspect the thief party member specifically.
>>
>>53160612
Have you heard of Poe's Law?
>>
>>53150491
Druids are just better than you because of nature and shit, therefore are always right.

God i fucking hate druids, i have played with a bunch of paladins, clerics and monks and NONE of them are as bad as a druid.
>>
>>53147681
Stealing from your party members and other obviously hostile shit justified by "he's a rogue!" , "he's evil/chaotic!" is the dumbest shit.

The whole point of bringing someone like that along is that it's better to have them in your tent pissing out than outside pissing in. Having a rogue that bluffs your way out of tough spots and steals shit to fund adventuring is very useful.

Having a moron too stupid not to steal from the people he's trusting to bail him out if he gets caught, provide an alibi, heal his wounds if he fails to disarm a trap, or cut a fucking Cloaker off his face if he gets ambushed while sneaking in the shadows? That's a goddamn liability.

Same goes for Evil characters. They should use their unscrupulous morals to do the dirty work that needs to get done but the rest of the party doesn't feel comfortable with, they can infiltrate and pass any Detect Evil checks, can freely associate with fiends for information or favors, and in general do what the fuck they want. An Evil party member sabotaging his own party is dumb.

The state doesn't have a monopoly on legitimate violence in D&D, just killing someone you catch stealing from you is absolutely within your rights, if it happens outside a major city it's not like there's gonna be anyone around to stop the Frontier justice in the first place.
>>
>>53161396
Also this.

Remember op, only bad players or crazies dick the party over. If he is stealing little coins now then what will he be doing in a couple more levels - stealing valuable gear and/or stabbing the party in the back?

Best get rid of him now.
>>
>>53147906
>paladin
Why can't you detect evil?
>>
>>53150377
Holy shit
>>
Three questions
>Do you spend little time in the same highly populated area?
>Is the rogue the only sneaky, shady guy in the party?
>Do you have a Wisdom score?

If the answer to all three is yes, simply point at him and say IC "If you steal from me one more time, I will kick the shit out of you."
It's a reasonable conclusion to come to, given the circumstances. And when he does eventually do it, because he's a retard, kick the shit out of him, take back the amount you've lost, and tell that the next time will be with a blade.
Don't bother trapping your shit in public, because that guy will just metagame and not steal from you until the traps are disarmed, because he's just that; a That Guy.
>>
>>53150421
At least its not 2e anymore, you'll never have to wonder if your druid is going to shank you to even out the odds for the goblins.
>>
>>53147681

Tell the Player this isn't Vampire and he should cut the shit out
>>
didn't read the thread
unless there're more than 1 rogue in party, even idiot paladin would figure out and confront the retarded party member. If it is "what his character would do", kill him and make player roll a new one level below party, or better yet, leave the stupid group (and grow a pair)
>>
>>53166467
Op seem disenclined to realise that for himself.
>>
Have your paladin leave the group, saying he has no proof but cannot be with people that would steal from him. Have your next character be a chaotic evil character that doesn't get along with the theif. Have the character irrationally hate the theif, such as being racist or swearing a blood oath and the first slight against you. Murder the theif in combat, saying that is what your character would do. When the group gets mad at you, say you were under the impression everyone was okay with PCs fucking other PCs over for no fucking good reason.
>>
>>53147681

beat him unconcious and remove one of his ears, wear it around your neck as a warning about third offenses.

honestly though, nothing says respect my concent quite like a two handed power attack to the back right at the end of combat
>>
>>53147681
Quit the group, your game is shit
>>
>>53148544
Well, the obvious solution is to just leave

Like, why should I show up just to let somebody else have fun by being an asshole to me? Where's my incentive?
>>
So have you gotten him yet or no?
>>
>>53149156
dude, everyone's been in that mentality, everyone has it when they start out. after you've played a while you realize that, as much as you want to tell this epic story, the game is at the end of the day about fun. compromises have to and should be made in the name of that goal.

its the classic:
>why are you stealing from your party/not interesting in being an adventurer/etc
>but its what my character would do
>so why the fuck did you make a character that is a dickbag thief/doesn't want to go dungeoneering in a cooperative dungeonnering game you twat

its the same reason most gms dont quibble about encumbrance, or spell component pouches. you sacrifice some realism so people don't want to fucking blow their brains out at the table.

if you really want to be a cunt who steals from the party then look for or run a game where you specifically call out at the start that that kind of interparty conflict is gonna be part of the game. don't be surprised if you end up with a bunch of terrible players like you though.
>>
>>53147681
Miniature bear trap in your coin pouch.

Actually just fill your coin pouch with mouse traps beneath the bear trap.
>>
>>53147681
>Roll Perception, or wait for a bad roll on his part so you catch him in character.
>Report him to the town guard for multiple counts of theft.
>Paladin's word against a thief's
>Wave as he is escorted away.
>>
>>53156946
I'd suggest not killing the rogue immediately once you find out in character. Rather, pretend to trust him, and when there's an intense IC fight, break his fucking leg and leave him to get eaten by monsters. Wait for his life to depend on yours, and then let him die for being such a dickhead.
>>
>>53147681
Give your gold to your order in exchange for a letter of credit which you can sign away to people in exchange for things as if it was gold, or it can be reexchanged for the gold (or goods) that you gave the order. This is what crusaders would do in real life.
Also: your paladin notices the difference in gold, yeah? You could simply have them confront the party with that information. It should be obvious that the rogue did it because suddenly your shares are conspicuously diminished, while their purse is mysteriously fat. There's not really any mystery to be had, there.

>>53149383
>>Buy a lockbox.
>It will at least slow this bullshit down.
It's better than the marked coins: who else but the thief would have been able to pick the lock?

Anyways, the bigger question isn't how to catch them--that's a matter of course.
The rogue is stealing from people in the night, why should anybody expect him to be trustworthy when shit is dire and he needs to be relied on with the party's lives at stake? That's the point where you would force someone out of your adventuring band.
Or worse. If an NPC was found stealing from most groups they would probably be murdered on the spot, or left for dead in the wilds with nothing but the clothes on their back. If the rogue wants to act like any random thief, and the DM wants to encourage it, then what other way is there to react?
>>
>>53176682
>Give your gold to your order in exchange for a letter of credit
That way the thief could steal ALL the gold at once.
>>
>>53148544
Stick to free-for-all PVP games. Cooperative games are clearly not your thing. And in case you didn't notice you turboautist, OP wants to COOP. And in case OP didn't notice he joined a PVP game, he's an idiot.

W-E-W
>>
>>53148448
>Being around evil things is metagaming
>Trying to get along with your fellow players is metagaming

These are some dangerously uncharted waters of retardation.
>>
>>53179563
Yeah, they just have to take some class levels in Paladin. Easy peasy,
>>
File: 1404131684766.jpg (21KB, 347x316px) Image search: [Google]
1404131684766.jpg
21KB, 347x316px
>>53147681
>there is a known thief in the party
>my money keeps disappearing, i wonder who might be causing this
really makes me ponder
>>
>>53180756
Kek.
>>
This thread is still alive?

Okay, so I got the thief. I used the tactic of hiding my coins in my clothes and then bobby trapping my purse with a spell (I asked a friendly NPC). When he opened my pouch he failed the roll, it exploding on him.

He actually got pretty salty, then demanded that I healed him. I demanded that he gave me my money back. He told me that I should be ashamed of hurting someone just because they stole some coins, and I asked if he wanted me to beat him until they gave them back.

The other members of the party got clearly uncomfortable, but I pointed how shitty it was to be stolen by my own companions. I made clear that I wanted my money back and I wouldn't back down until I got it. It ended with the DMPC reimbursing my money, then warning the thief that he would kill him if he attempted to break our group again.

ITT: I found him, he got hurt and salty, I got my money back. Now to see if he will attempt this again.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It really helped me.
>>
>>53182561
good work anon
>>
>>53151158
>I like this idea. It's petty and doesn't actually do anything to address the underlying problem in the group dynamic, but fuck players who steal from other PCs
Thanks anon, I figure OP might as well have some fun with the game.
>>
>>53182561
>he got hurt and salty
Watch your back. They never just let this shit die. Now is the time to bond with your other party members and get them on your side.
>>
>>53182561
>It ended with the DMPC reimbursing my money, then warning the thief that he would kill him if he attempted to break our group again.
Pfffft, your DM is a pushover. Still glad to hear that you got SOME kind of resolution.

I would have loved to see your rogue player's face when it exploded.
>>
File: IMG_0296.png (42KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.png
42KB, 250x250px
>>53147681
Find out he's stealing and then it's simple
>Rogue get injured by foes in battle
> Don't worry friend I'll lay on hands
> Thunderous Smite his brittle rouge body
(make sure your dm gives you advantage because the rogue is expecting to be healed and shouldn't dodge out of the way quickly)
Don't steal from your party let alone the paladin
>>
>>53147906
Carve a symbol into all your coins then, if it happens again, confront the party woth your concerbs and ask to see their money as a way to ease your mind.
>>
>>53184557
>replying before reading the rest of the thread

W E W L A D
E
W

L
A
D
>>
>>53183367
>Watch your back. They never just let this shit die. Now is the time to bond with your other party members and get them on your side.

10000x this. Also, is this guy your "friend" outside of this game?
>>
>>53183367
This. If your shitty DM is letting him get away with "But that's what muh character would do" crap he's likely to go full pvp and kill your paladin or try to get it killed. Considering how weak that resolution was, it might just be time to find a new group.
>>
>>53149998
>>53150019
>>53150033
The question is whether the DM is complicit. A DM not really involved would just look at the thief and say, "ok, what do you do in response?"

A complicit DM would defend the thief by saying that you didn't formally stipulate that you were putting your coins in your codpiece, (an unusual disclosure that would necessarily alert the thief's player via meta), and therefore you are unable to do anything to stop him from stealing. If he does that, you should snatch the thief player's character sheet and leave the building.
>>
>>53147681

If you need to, in character, beat a thieving rogue, try playing your alignment as a tool.

If Good, ask the rogue to aid in avoiding the rash of pick pocketing. Your boon companion should be able to lend aid. Demand sense motive checks, wisdom, or intelligence checks on all actions. If he screws you ad you pass, reveal im to the party and gank him for the good of the group. If he doesn't, use a flubbed roll to (airquotes) think (airquotes) he robbed you, force a group confrontation, let the probability play in your favor as the truth rolls out.

Remember, you just need to put your paladin in place where he could act on your knowledge. You could even Lawfully ask how he knows so much about pick pocketing and act on an in character unsatisfactory answer.

If you can successfully talk the thief down tabletop, or after game, hold off. If not, Act as stated.
>>
>>53147681
i meta-gamed and beat the shit out of the rogue when he did this to me. everyone got kinda pissy about me meta-gaming but i said he cant just be a dick and expect me to not be a dick back.
>>
File: Binky.jpg (31KB, 373x523px) Image search: [Google]
Binky.jpg
31KB, 373x523px
>>53147681
shit dm detected
>>
>>53147681
Replace coinpurse with that item that makes small animals.
Get said item rejiggered to only produce badgers.
Laugh as the thief screams in just agony as an upset badger chews their fingers off.
>>
>>53182561
>DM reimbursed you instead of making the rogue give it back
Leave now, it'll only get worse from here
>>
>>53182561
>He actually got pretty salty, then demanded that I healed him. I demanded that he gave me my money back. He told me that I should be ashamed of hurting someone just because they stole some coins, and I asked if he wanted me to beat him until they gave them back.
This is the sign of someone who genuinely does not understand what "being good" means.
>That isn't it, Cartman.
>What isn't it?
>That isn't being nice. That's just wearing a nice sweater.
>I don't understand the difference.
>I know you don't.

He genuinely believes that a good person is supposed to sit there, be stolen from, be betrayed, and never supposed to react with even passive violence because "Good is stupid."
You are dealing with Dark Helmet level Chaotic Evil Player.
That, or he is so immature that he is just incapable of applying the same rules to others as himself.
Either way, you need to watch him.

>>53183379
>your DM is a pushover.
>>53192219
>>DM reimbursed you instead of making the rogue give it back
>Leave now, it'll only get worse from here
I can actually see it from the DM's perspective here.
If the thieving is the only thing the player has done that has crossed the line, he might not want to draw a line in the sand yet.
The DM was cool enough to enable the whole spell on the pouch thing, so he's not too bad, just reluctant to handle ic asshole behavior ooc.
But if he doesn't follow through on that DMPC threat if the thief returns to form, then I'd bail.
Playing with a DM too afraid to rope in a problem player can descend into misery quickly.
>>
>>53183367
This, op. Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>53182561
Okay op, well done but be warned this is not over yet. You have managed to legitimately catch him in the act and shout him down but the fact that he did not himself reimburse you and then also got salty over the trap tells me that he is not done with you yet.
>>
>>53180724
Yeah or just

You know

Pass a check to convince he's sent by the Paladin
>>
>>53183379
Or what's left of it haha

>>53182561
>steals
>caught in the act
>immediately pushes the blame on the victim
>demands compensation for having stolen coings and hit a security system
>from his party friend
Wew lad.
>>
>>53147681
Whore out the PC's sister, wife, daughter, and or mother to earn back the stolen funds. Make sure that they earn in silver what is taken in gold. Alternatively, find a gender swapping belt and some free will suppressing enchantment and whore the PC character out. If you recieve any complaints, just remind them of how "you've been fucking me over anyway, so I may as well turn it over on you."

Yes, it's a rather realm-type solution. However, they decided that they did not mind making you uncomfortable from step one here. It's just an eye for an eye. Or in this case I guess, a stolen coin purse for absurd amounts of ork dick.
>>
>>53197228
Edge alert
>>
>>53197279

>makes an over the top and unrealistic scenario for the sake of humor

>le edge

Did people forget that not all jokes are bait, trolling, or edgy? Jesus Christ, kid, nut up.
>>
>>53147736
>Tell your GM that he is a colossal faggot, only he can't draw.

You. I like you.

Though CF's campaigns seem pretty cool so it's probaby not quite right.
>>
>>53182561
Sounds like you have a DMPC around that's significantly tougher than you? That's _generally_ a bad thing.
>>
>>53197853
This too. A gm I game with runs a colossal amount of npcs that vary from slightly better than too will wipe the floor with better than the party.
It is really frustrating and slightly immersion breaking when they send you to tackle something they could murder in their sleep. Even moreso when they join you in the fight and just wipe out everything.

Apart from that he is a great dm.
>>
>>53147906
Ask god if someone is stealing your money.
>>
>>53147681

Here's my terrible advice

Raise the stakes. Threaten to burn some bridges. Tally up all the gold you've lost and accuse the entire party of stealing from you. Refuse to move and bring the game to a halt so that its no fun for the players. Make the game about you. If asked tell them your just roleplaying, don't take it personally and maybe this all could be avoided if someone didn't steal from your coin purse.
>>
File: 1443835485554.gif (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1443835485554.gif
48KB, 600x600px
We have such an amazing hobby and such shit people to share it with
Thread posts: 242
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.