[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /tg/, do you have time travel in your setting? What tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: timemachine.jpg (246KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
timemachine.jpg
246KB, 600x455px
hi /tg/, do you have time travel in your setting?

What tools do you use to draw the timelines?

I was thinking of using XMind or just excel, but I was curious if anyone had something better.
>>
>>53131401
>hi /tg/, do you have time travel in your setting?
No, unless you built your story and setting to include time traveling it will ruin everything once introduced.
>>
>>53131401
Time travel is almost always a terrible thing to include in a setting. It only really works if 'time travel' is used as an excuse to visit a wide variety of totally unconnected places.

Also if you can't keep track of your time travel plot in your head then you've made it too complex. Only a particularly autistic audience will enjoy story they have graph to follow.
>>
>>53131488
>Also if you can't keep track of your time travel plot in your head then you've made it too complex
That's the worst argument for anything I've heard in my life and I've listened to morons talk about why the earth is flat.
>>
>>53131401
>do you have time travel in your setting?
NO.
No, no, and thrice no.

Why?
It gives me a fucking headache trying to figure out timelines. Then we have to pick which system we use for it. Do we use Bill and Ted where you can say you're going back to do something later and hide it nearby and then just reach down and grab something that wasn't there before?
What happens when you erase something's creation by giving it to someone in the past because they have it in the future? Does it suddenly become infinitely old? How many cycles has it been through?
>>
File: Dahaka.jpg (236KB, 600x838px) Image search: [Google]
Dahaka.jpg
236KB, 600x838px
>>53131401
My setting has time travel, but my setting also has a deity specifically devoted to seeking out paradoxes and erasing them. Pic related.
>>
>>53131401
nope, never

I once tried to brainstorm a way to make time travel works in a rpg setting and decided to quit because all ideas I was able to come with had big flaws
>>
>>53131401
yes, but you can only go back.
>What tools do you use to draw the timelines?
I don't new time line, over writes, old time line.
fuck you, it's sudo-magic.

>It only really works if 'time travel' is used as an excuse to visit a wide variety of totally unconnected places.
before this setting we did both ways, but only large leaps in time.
mostly as an excuse to let people keep the same characters when swapping settings, ect. shadow run to D&D to Call of chulu.
Terminator rules apply,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64U0_QtxJMs
>>
>>53135508
Do deities work on a seperate time or something?

I'm thinking if you travel back, in what way would your time deity know about it and react
>>
Check out Continuum, OP. The most amazing game that has never been played.
>>
>>53131522
But he's right. If you can't keep track of the permutations without notes how will your players? It's just going to be confusing and frustrating for everyone.
>>
>>53131401
Right now there is only one faction atempting time travel.

Its an ancient lizardmen empire thats been dead so long nobody even knows it ever existed, the only legacy it has are its dead gods that now haunt the world.

The players will come in contact with them.
They planned, but failed, at time traveling into the future to save their species.
if they can trick the PCs of going through with it, the PCs will teleport parts of their empire into the present time, where they will promptly begin to purge the world of warmbloods.
>>
>>53131458
Not necessarily. Butterfly effect and all that but sociological forces have inertia. Kill Hitler/Stalin/Churchill and someone else will take their place and pretty much do the same things. Leave an ASSAULT RIFLE (Glock) to a caveman but without knowledge, tools and skills to maintain it, at most he kills a few more mammoths. You can safely have your players fuck about with time travel and not have them alter history too much.
>>
>>53131401
Not exactly time travel, but I have used the the a concept similar to vr while watching past events. The players can view swaths of my home brews history to uncover clues to possible adventure locations or lost treasures.
>>
>>53136435
Way I always figured it (for this particular deity anyhow), the gods are omniscient of their own domains. He, being the Keeper of Time, knows everything there is to know about Time, including anomalies. As for how he deals with it, I like to imagine that he's a universal constant; as far as the realm and the timeline is concerned, he's everywhere, at all times, and thusly can travel freely through time. Essentially, he's a fourth dimensional being and gives no fucks for time.

That's my explanation, anyhow. I'm just smart enough to realize how much of a dumbass I am, so I'm sure somebody can think of something better.
>>
>>53131401
yes. everything in my campaign travels through time at a rate of around 1 second per second. the upkeep isn't nearly as hard as it might seem.
>>
File: 1456033177895.gif (616KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1456033177895.gif
616KB, 500x336px
>>53135508
>Oh cool picture
>I wonder what it's from
>Oh.

I never have been more disappointed in an image search before.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.