[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friends and I are gonna try the Mistborn Adventure Game for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Table_of_Allomantic_metals.jpg (1MB, 1728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Table_of_Allomantic_metals.jpg
1MB, 1728x1296px
Friends and I are gonna try the Mistborn Adventure Game for a campaign, and I want to figure out some neat ways to utilise the abilities of a Gold Misting. How can I use the ability to look at potential past selves to do some neat things?

>When burning Gold, a character experiences the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of a different and earlier self, as would have
been if he or she had made different choices.
Though the character’s feelings and thoughts while burning Gold are real, the images seen are illusions, possibilities swimming through the mind as divergent paths are explored.
>While burning Gold, your perception splits. You remain aware of your
true, present self and your life as it is now, but you also gain the memories and
knowledge of pasts you might have lived. This is, in effect, a chance to do things
differently, though only in a very convincing fantasy.
>When looking into the past, time elapses as in reality — you experience
one minute of an alternate past for every minute you burn Gold in the present.
There’s no limit to how far back you can diverge from your established history,
and alternate pasts appear to you with crystal clarity.

In the books, it tends to be depicted that someone burning Gold is simultaneously two versions of themselves, as it is noted that one character can sense the hatred the other version of himself feels for him, and the alternate version is someone that the burner can interact with and seemingly touch, but it doesn't seem like anyone else can see or interact with it.

GM has said that since Gold burning is so useless he may let me be Twinborn and have a Ferring power as well, as long as it's a more useless one with narrow applications, but I just really want to find either a powerful narrative/character reason for my Gold burner, or some neat tricks he could pull.
>>
Wouldn't that mean they effectively have perfect memories? Scholarship, scouting and spying spring to mind
>>
>>53073087
The description from the MAG sourcebook definitely mentions memories, but it's not clear just how strong those memories are. I imagine that these memories are maybe not perfect, since there's another skill, using Copper, that essentially stores memories for retrieval like a database. I can't imagine GM would allow something that is just outright better for memories than the ability specifically devoted to memory storage and retrieval.
>>
Bump for any other ideas on how to make this an interesting ability to have? Narratively at least, if not mechanically?
>>
>>53075042
Why don't you make it that every now and then they can look to see different paths in the situation they're in which gives them an advantage.

Maybe they're about to open a door to a room which could potentially be full of baddies. Maybe you use the gold to see the result of opening the door in other realities or w/e to make a decision.

Is it only pasts? Might not work if it is.
>>
>>53075113
Yeah, it's unfortunately only pasts. Otherwise it would have plenty of handy applications.
>>
>>53075127
Maybe you can use it to look back at previous events to examine them in detail to see if you missed something.
>>
Not sure if this is possible, but could you be a guy who burns gold constantly to see a version of himself he's haunted by?

Maybe he sold out his true love to inquisitors. Maybe he was staunchly patriotic and did something to betray his country/kingdom/whatever?

So you have this guy who is constantly two versions of himself, observing and hating each other? One is the prime version, of course, the other is a temporal "ideal" he's trying to chase his way back to that utterly despises what he is?

Mechanically I dunno if that'd do much but sounds neat for a hook. Especially since he could stop seeing this apparition whenever he wants but just can't bring himself to stop.
>>
>>53075137
My understanding is that what you see is a past "you" rather than past events. It's like a second you just hanging around the real you, except you perceive the world from both sets of senses, and feel and think in parallel. There's no indication that you can do things like get a gold shadow to explore separately for you.

>>53075191
Huh, a tortured soul could be interesting. Might make you more resistant to Emotional Allomancy if you're constantly essentially two people, as well.
>>
>>53073035

Honestly gold was never good without feruchemy. It's pretty useless, all it can really do is help you introspect on the course your life has taken.
>>
>>53075305
I've seen /tg/ come up with great ideas to make useless things interesting or helpful before, was hoping some magic could be worked with this one. Because like you said, it is pretty useless.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.