[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good systems for one shots? Preferably less rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1487695389368.jpg (98KB, 735x735px) Image search: [Google]
1487695389368.jpg
98KB, 735x735px
What are some good systems for one shots? Preferably less rules to learn, and maybe minimal prep. The group was meant to play shadowrun but not everyone is free, so figure we'll have a one shot so we can still get our fix. All genres welcome.
>>
Savage Worlds.
>>
>>53057320
RISUS is good.

Lasers and Feelings and its variants.

Both of those can be taught in like 5 minutes, have basically no rules to remember, and are highly variable.
>>
>>53057325
Wouldn't happen to have a pdf would you? Also, what's its deal? I've heard it mentioned a few times.
>>53057501
I think I have both somewhere.
>>
Very interested in this thread, have a similar situation
>>
>>53057892
OP here. Will dump some options i've found that i'm considering then, for any lurkers...

Engineheart(simple as, playing robots in the remnants of human civilisation)

Mouseguard(again, simple, quaint idea, fight crabs and snakes and stuff that'd be terrifying to a mouse.

Symbaroum(really wanna try. Not simple nor really complex, interesting background. Kind of dark fantasy STALKER)

MiniSix(any opinions? Seems simple and I can bend it to whatever)
>>
>>53057949
I've played mouseguard before, you'll have a good time, though it's more narrative focused than a numbers game I feel
>>
>>53057856
>Also, what's its deal?
Savage Worlds is a shitty system that tries too hard to reinvent the wheel. The exploding die and raise mechanics make any form of encounter balance/planning impossible. A rank 1 novice can one-shot a dragon with lucky die rolls using his fist. The system boasts that bennies are used for "cool things" like players changing narrative or pulling off impossible stunts, but players just hoard them for use as extra hit points. The chase system (any iteration of it) is an absolute shit storm of retardation. The 3-wound limit is just plain bad game design. The community is full of sad 40-something-year-old zealots who foam at the mouth at any notion of house ruling the assy mechanics. Shotguns are utterly broken and despite having the same average damage as a rifle, end up dealing twice as much because of exploding dice. The entire game works on a fucktarded tabletop scale so you either have to use miniatures for EVERY combat or have fun doing extra math every time you want to figure out range penalties.
>>
>>53060069
To add to this, whichever stupid fucking cunt came up with the Bennies in Savage Worlds honestly needs to get cancer of the ass. I mean there's a lot of shitty mechanics in that game, and really I think there are only one or two good things about Savage Worlds, but it would be a fine game if they took out of some of the retarded shit. For example Wild Dice which are meant to prevent PCs from failing because muh special plot armor. However, where the game really shits the bed, is with the bennies.

You get three bennies each session, so right away this is stupid shit. What if you run very short sessions, or sessions that are heavy on the roleplay? They suggest a four hour session but the bennies aren't per hour, they are based on out-of-game shit. So your best strategy is to get into the game, avoid rolling for anything, then do one combat and suddenly be fucking invincible because you have a shitload of bennies. Oh and you can take feats for more of them, you can have up to seven as a child halfling, and that's WITHOUT the gamemaster handing them out like candy, which he is supposed to.

Between bennies and wild die it is nearly impossible for the characters to fail at anything. They can use them to soak damage or even reroll damage in some games. Basically they are a win button for the PCs. And the worst part? Once you play Savage Worlds, the cancer of bennies will spread into your other games. Playing GURPS, or Dungeon World? Characters will fail a roll and literally ask "can I have a bennie?" No, go fucking kill yourself. The day I heard that was the last day I owned an intact Savage Worlds core book. It went in the trash, along with the rest of this fucking awful system.
>>
>>53060082
>>53060069
That sounds like some shit. I read through it and it's not what I asked for. Simple..
>>
>>53057320
MAID RPG
>>
>>53060527
it's a copypasta, anon...
>>
>>53060721
Really? Alright. I don't frequent /tg/ enough to know about that haha.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.