[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you smart people enlighten me to economics a bit? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1489081336681.jpg (86KB, 1024x433px) Image search: [Google]
1489081336681.jpg
86KB, 1024x433px
Could you smart people enlighten me to economics a bit?

How would a society in the early phases of an industrial revolution switch over from simply turning over their crops to paying in currency for taxes?

The idea I have in mind is that an Empire was formed from various smaller kingdoms where, like japan, people were primarily paid in crops and it wasn't until the unification that they began switching over to actual currency. One of the hold overs from this transition is the "Harvest Tax day" because the village leaders would get the share of their crops ready from the rest of the village from the local lord's envoy.

I suppose in general can we discuss economics and how they could affect one's setting?
>>
>>53036473

It would have to come from a centralized institution that bought up everyone's wares to force the circulation of money. If you're going for a sudden switch that is.
>>
>>53036610

Nah the switch won't be sudden. The Empire in question has been in existence for some 400 years unified with the only recent change being the Emperor taking an extended leave from rulership due to illness and the Empire being ran by a council called the Primacy.

In that time the Emperor forced through several major infrastructure projects mainly mining (for the materials used to make the currency) and a road way system that has been remade to accomodate cars.
>>
>>53036703

So then just the evolution of money? In my homebrew (post-apoc), we just use scrap (a mix of tradeable/usable/salvage) or bullets. Fluffing a new currency is alot.
>>
>inviting /pol/ to destroy your thread
Well done.

Maybe ask /his/ for the real information, as opposed to nu/tg/ and the /pol/tard brigade?
>>
>>53036827

>invoking /pol/

Just go die.
>>
>>53036473
Big switchovers like you seem to be suggesting don't really happen in history - it's usually a gradual thing.

Where I am there's recently been 2 common pieces of cash changed, but for a good 6 or so months everyone could still use the old ones.
That's in a society where everyone can be told about the new way of doing things and you can get to any point of the country within a couple of days

The transition would be a lot more gradual, and it'll start with merchants using chits and things.

It's also worth noting just how long currency and "giving X% of your physical crop" coexist - namely fucking ages
>>
>>53036473
It's just the evolution of money. It's pretty simple actually. Someone gets ahold of something plentiful, but scarce - probably a shogun getting a gold mine or something. The shogun gives the gold to the farmers for their food. The farmers in turn give the gold to the blacksmiths for farm equipment knowing that a) the shogun has backed up the currency by using it himself, and b) gold is valuable in and of itself (gems, silver, other valuable items works just as well - as long as they are easy to transport and limited in quantity). The shogun knows the gold will come back to him in the form of taxes. Eventually, the entire village begins using the currency, and they begin to pay in the currency when trading with neighboring villages. Since the shogun controls the currency, his power grows as his trade potential grows. Fast forward past a few trade wars, etc... and an empire is formed.
>>
>>53036898

So it would make sense for more distant places to still use a form of battering even if using the offical currency is the preferred method of exchange.

I could see something where people use the currency only for offical stuff (i.e. you go to the local merchants and pay for it in the emperial currency) but between friends and acquitences you either pay for their services with something you can do or in crops or something else appropriate
>>
>>53037050

So basically normal, everyday trade?
If you're OP, I think you should just call it and not overthink this.
>>
Main problem with a barter it's sometimes it's hard to measure values of things - it works on local level, or even between villages, but on larger scale, not so much. You can trade a cow for a new plough, but for a one meal it's overkill.
Another problem it's a transportation - for example, it's a fucking good to have a shitton of cows. This means you're filthy rich. But you can't use your cows in city - even ONE cow is a bitch in a city.
With development of trade, everyone needs come up with small, light and efficient measure or wealth. Chits, gems, gold nuggets.
>>
>>53036473
I remember at one point in medieval society, iron was rare enough that nails were a form of currency in some areas.
Oh, and here have a big primer on economic development.
>>
>>53037196

I'm not planning on going too deep with it in a game. This part is purely for my own personal edification
>>
>>53036473
Well, as nations grew, the distance to the capital city increases until it is inefficient to transport perishable goods to pay taxes. So, you get coins, clamshells, beads, jewels, pieces of shiny metals as something small, portable, easily exchanged and of some subjective equivalent value to the goods. Eventually, it all turned to fiat currency.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.