[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When doing a RPG in a premade setting, you let your players interact

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Saruman-the-white.jpg (31KB, 397x566px) Image search: [Google]
Saruman-the-white.jpg
31KB, 397x566px
When doing a RPG in a premade setting, you let your players interact with the main, vital characters of it?

For example, in a RPG based in LOTR would you let them kill Saruman or betray Aragorn and stealing his sword?

And if yes, would you make them very overpowered? Like level 20 if DnD?
>>
>>52999927
>When doing a RPG in a premade setting
You lost me right there.
Pass.
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>52999927
My game is set after the retirement of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser to Rime Isle, both are in their early 60's.

They'd be ill-advised to fuck with Ningauble of the Seven Eyes tho.

The only NPC at level 20 in my game are individuals who've managed to live at least two human lifetimes; it's the player's story not the NPC's.
>>
>>52999927
>And if yes, would you make them very overpowered? Like level 20 if DnD?
it's been pointed out before that LotR is actually a pretty low-level setting by D&D terms

if you go off of feats alone, Aragorn's probably only level 5, along with Legolas and Gimli.

that said trying to use D&D to represent LotR characters is probably a bad idea to begin with
>>
>>52999969
Movie Legolas uses Double-jump, that's a feat with a very high stat requisite.
The guys in the book don't use the optional rules for Feats.
Gandalf is a lvl 20 Mastermind Rogue with a Fire Ring and a Staff of Light, Orc Bane sword.
>>
>>52999969
Whoever GMed LotR was kind of a dick with that Balrog encounter, for what it's worth.
>>
>>53000194
Why? All it did was temporarily remove the DMPC who was carrying the party, and everyone got a chance at actual character development once they weren't forced to follow his lead and suck his balls.
>>
>>53000218
>When the DMPC solves the Moria mine door "riddle" that the DM thought was so clever, and rubs it in how dumb (lol) he (and by extension the party) was for not "getting it" immediately.

>Then DMPC won't help kill the lake monster for massive XP but forces everyone into a one-way deathtrap instead, and steal the Big Dramatic scene for himself.
>>
>>53000218
Kinda feels like the GM didn't realize how underleveled they were to fight it until the fighting started and had the GMPC bite it to throw them a bone and avoid TPK
>>
>>53000252
Nah, it was written to be the Big Dramatic Setpiece, so the DM could bring him back later when the campaign finally got past the boring orc chases and to the exciting parts. Powered-up all to fuck, of course.

And you KNOW that Lake Monster had to have awesome treasure, it had been guarding the entrance to a Dwarven treasure hole since forever.

Imagine if Borimir or one of the other party members got some Magic Armor, and not just the fucking halfling?
>>
>>53000105
>Gandalf is a high level exarch of the gods slumming it with some plucky mortals
>>
File: image.jpg (1022KB, 2619x1201px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1022KB, 2619x1201px
>>53000280
Boromir could have needed it. Shouldn't have pulled a Leroy Jenkins aganist these Uruk-hai without any backup.

Still just calling his new character faramir and making him his brother was kind of lazy
>>
>>53000352
Imagine how Boromir or Aragorn could have tanked Orcs with Mithral Chain.
But no, let's have it on the most useless, non-combative "I'll jeopardize the party by fucking with this ring some more" cringemaster.

Fuck, they had 3 more ring-resistant Halflings if he took an arrow.
>>
>>53000373
Pippin wasn't really that resistant. He could't keep his hands of the Palantir, could he?
>>
>DM finally gets out of his long-winded travelogue
>Splits the party immediately
>Shit-ton more travel
>Splits up the already split groups even further.
>Your character gets stuck playing "amusing little person" for the clearly bonkers Steward of Gondor.
>>
When I do a RPG in a premade setting, I make sure the PCs never meet anyone remotely important to the original setting.
>>
>>53000454
Isn't that boring? Imagine playing a Naruto RPG and never meeting a hokage.
>>
>>53000492
>Imagine playing a Naruto RPG
ugh.
>>
File: 1493181522854.jpg (59KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
1493181522854.jpg
59KB, 625x468px
>>53000492
>imagine playing a naruto rpg
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.