[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A medieval-level alien civilization gets contacted by interstellar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1486358211879.jpg (1MB, 2500x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1486358211879.jpg
1MB, 2500x1073px
A medieval-level alien civilization gets contacted by interstellar traders and ultimately ends up with the super advanced technology of the galaxy that it doesn't really deserve and only barely understands. Assuming this doesn't trigger a massive civil war and destroy its civilization, what kinds of things would it most easily adapt to, and what kinds of things would it resist changing? I imagine anything involving weapons and armor would be quickly taken since killing your rivals is always useful, but what else?
>>
>>52997699
It really depends how alien they are.

If they are bipedal humanoid typical sci-fi aliens, then you can look at what real world cultures usually take from the developed world first (guns, cell phones, levi's, fast food...)
>>
Whatever the "natural" behavior of the aliens are, they appreciate technology that facilitates it. So if they are aggressive they like hightech weapons, if they are social they like communications equipment, if they are intelligent they like tools, if they are creative they like artwork or instruments, if they are greedy they like exotics or food, etc. Just exaggerate whatever characteristics or vices the aliens species would have.
>>
>>52997699
Generally, folks only tend to adapt what they can actually make use of. It's why the technology of rubber was lost for a couple of hundreds of years, to name something specific. Also the efforts required to translate the use and functionality of technologies is actually pretty extreme. You can see that in the work it took to make Euro clocks intelligible to Edo-period aficionados. It's more than likely that they would plain not adapt technologies that don't fit their social and political model and those that are too laden with meaning alien to them.

So
>what kinds of things would it most easily adapt to, and what kinds of things would it resist changing?

Depends on a whole lot of factors, none of which you've bothered to write about yet.

Right now, you got a medieval culture that got ripped off and had somebody's trash dropped on them. You're basically having a bunch of aliens reenact Roadside Picnic.
>>
>>52998349
OP here. I was imagining a group of water-based amphibious aliens who had only the barest understanding of metallurgy, completely inaccurate philosophy and religion, and a basic kingdom system suddenly being given FTL technology and other crazy shit mostly by accident.
>>
>>52998349
If they were to somehow make a thousand year technological leap, the first thing that would happen would be massive societal upheavals, likely with mass revolts from the underclasses.
>>
MY NAME IS OZYMANDIAS, WIZARD KING OF KINGS.
LOOK AT MY MAGICAL STAFF TACHYON LASER YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!
I AM THE BIGGEST EMPEROR YOU'LL EVER SEE
THE WIZARDS OF OLD WEREN'T HALF AS BOLD AND BIG
AND FIERCE AS ME.
>>
>>52998474
>completely inaccurate philosophy and religion
It's not how that works. It's not how any of it works.

Religion and philosophy give answers to specific needs and are shaped to serve societal and political ends. Accuracy in a mathematical sense isn't a category applicable in these fields to begin with.

Not sure what FTL would have to offer to people who sound like they're maybe on the human machine-tier of technology.
>>
File: Sherman.png (87KB, 205x203px) Image search: [Google]
Sherman.png
87KB, 205x203px
>>52997699
OP, you yourself have access to technology you really don't "deserve" and barely understand.
So how's that going for you?

You can't make anything particularly complex, didn't invent a damn thing, nor did your parents or their parents.

You seem to feel that you "deserve" these wonders entirely because you were squeezed out of a womb in relative proximity to them.
>>
>>52999665
He's living in a society that's built around making use of that tech, those aliens aren't.
>>
>>52999665
>You seem to feel that you "deserve" these wonders entirely because you were squeezed out of a womb in relative proximity to them.
Hey, it works for the /pol/tards.
>>
>>52997699

You know, I have an interesting question.

Doesn't that kind of fuck them over? Like, they won't be able to resupply themselves unless they knew exactly what to do. It's like if I hijacked a nuclear submarine - Sure, it's there, but what the fuck do I do with it? I don't know how to drive a submarine, and forget refueling and reloading.
>>
>>52997699

If it's medieval, doesn't that mean that there should be several different soviergn states on its planet? What's keeping the client nation from going full conquer mode in order to instill a one-world order?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.