[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If WotC came to you with a plan to make a "babby's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1490840299036.jpg (90KB, 686x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1490840299036.jpg
90KB, 686x1000px
If WotC came to you with a plan to make a "babby's first MtG" box that would run about 40-60 USD and contained enough cards to make an easy to pilot but not necessarily strong deck of each color, what would you put in it? The goal would be for Jim Bob and his two or three friends who have never played MtG to buy it, crack the box open, and play around with the pre-packaged decks inside while having enough cards left over for them to try changing the decklists a bit once they understand the rules. Something like Netrunner or the upcoming L5R remake.

The contents don't have to be Standard-legal but should at least be somewhat modern cards and relatively straightforward so that a new player could glance at the text and pretty much immediately see what the card is used for.
>>
>>52997630
I'd say that your boss wouldn't be terribly impressed that your trying to use 4chan to do your homework for marketing strategies.
also isn't the deck builder tool box meant exactly for this kinda stuff? $20 for like 100 common/uncommon and then 4 packs from recent sets, plus lands.
>>
>>52997657
If the deckbuilder's toolkit is supposed to be this, it's godawful at it. A couple packs and a bunch of lands with some randomly selected foil and some meme cards don't really make a playset. The idea might have been there but I was thinking closer to something you could buy, play with a friend or three for an hour or two, then put away next to monopoly or something until next time everyone's bored.
>>
why not go to your local game store and ask for welcome decks?
that's what the welcome decks are
>>
>>52997630
A $50 blister with 2x Arid Mesa, 2x Sacred Foundry, 1x Inspiring Vantage, 1x Clifftop Retreat, a Premium Full Art Plains, a Premium Full Art Mountain and a booster of the current set.
Repeat for each color pair forever.

If people have good manabases avaliable they're more likely to spend $100 in cards like Snapcaster, Goyf, Lilly of the Veil, etc. Because they feel like they can play them even if they literally don't have anything else for the deck they're building.
>>
>>52997630
24 packs of a set(doesn't matter which), some sleeves, basic land/tokens and instructions on how to play sealed
>>
>>52997630
>A full playset of each of the original dual lands
>a spin down dice
>some sort of instructions
>>
>>52999013
This actually would've been awesome, it's so hard to play multiple decks in modern since if I want to change colors I have to buy different fetches/shocks/whatever and they usually costs more than the "cool cards"
>>
File: Image.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
127KB, 223x311px
>Each deck includes 1 special rare that cannot be found in other Magic products!

Wizard's blurb about the welcome decks. Attached image is one of those exclusive rares.
>>
>>52999669
They should at least make them new cards.
>>
>Put $50-$60 dollars worth of cards in box.
>Sell for $40-$50

Why not? You guarantee selling out your entire stock of the things just from greedy re-seller companies buying them all up, it's like printing money.
>>
>>52997630
Is the deck builders toolkit not good enough?

What about making some competent planeswalker/starter decks?
>>
>>52997630
The product already exists: CardKingdom's Battle Decks. Except they're 10 bucks because no one is buying a 40 dollar product to start mtg.
>>
>starter box/set for colors
>50-60 dollars
>how to make it enticing

Print iconic cards like Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, etc. and put in full art lands that aren't going to be reprinted anywhere else. This kills the secondary market and makes you sell them all out really quickly because at that point you will have people killing other people to get their hands on it.

Also makes collectors wet their pants because if you do maybe three full runs of it (like how they do the set wise) you will have a common enough product to not have the Nintendo limited run forced shortage and people get to put it in their attic until 10 years from now when they're like 1,000 a piece sealed.
>>
>>52997630
Three different versions, basic colors, allied colors, and enemy colors. All contain
>five 45-card decks with a basic strategy fitting the color
>5 boosters
>5 semi-random boosters, each one matching one of the decks
>no absolutely trash cards like 5-mana "kill target creature" or 3-mana "+4/+4" or 2-mana shocks, but no Bolts of Boomedangs either

Decks would have a basic curve, and cards that teach the mechanics without getting too technical. Two copies of each card at least.

Allied would come with one shock and one filter-land per deck, as well as a playset of the Tarkir land.

Enemy lands would have two fetches,
And Tarkir land.

Basic colors would have all full-art basic lands, and a deck unique planeswalker because magic them a basic cars type and then locking them behind mythic rarity is stupid.
>two copies of each
>color specific character (a green elf, a red goblin, a black vampire, a white cat, and a blue merfolk or whatever)
>3-4 mana so they're not PW deck terrible
>either only two abilities, or no "final"

All this being said, making $15-20 duel decks instead will probably get new people to pick them up more easily. Two decks following the rules I put down, extra lands and a few boosters, good land.

FUCK Wizards not making good and necessary land available, and making walkers and then insisting on making them chase mythics.
>>
>>52997630
I was inspired to make a set of decks like this after finding out about Rookie Decks from TCC and taking a look at the absolute garbage they were composed of. Mine run around $40-$60 each and feature cards with equally powerful effects that show off the unique ways each color does the same thing.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.