[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I want my PCs to be DtB contractors, what system should I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

If I want my PCs to be DtB contractors, what system should I run? Means basically modern-setting magic, but a focused sort (They have a few powers that share a theme.), and after they do it, they must perform a remuneration before they can use it again. (I can houserule this.)

Secondary requirement: It lets normals fight (with guns and whatnot) without getting obliterated as soon as the fight begins.
>>
Unknown armies? the setting is described as "broken people conspire to fix the world."

you charge your magic by behaving according to your schools rules, a flesh mage for instance charges his magic by hurting himself and loses his charges if he lets anyone else alter his body in any way.
>>
I have no idea but bumping because I like you direction.
>>
Chronicles of Darkness
>>
>>52994920
>how do I [INSERT ANIME HERE]

The answer is BESM (2e revised). Literally, the system made to adapt anime to the table.
>>
>>52994920

Wild Talents or Godlike would make sense.
>>
>>52994920

GURPS

Actually, seriously it's doable, and would be a way to sort of balance powers.

Take GURPS powers, and IIRC they have a way to place a 'cost' to any power.
>>
>>52997324
The issue has not not has it ever been that something wasn't "doable" in gurps.

The issue is that telling someone to play gurps when asked for a system recommendation is like getting asked what kind of car you would recommend someone buy, and telling that person that you think they should just order each part of the car individually and build it themselves.

While not strictly outside the realm of possibility, there are any number of easier solutions.
>>
Double Cross is pretty much built for this idea.
>>
File: TheStandGameBalancePass1.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TheStandGameBalancePass1.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
You could consider Nights Black Agents. It's a game very specifically about being ex-intelligence agents doing shady jobs. It does have a relatively bare bones system for supernatural powers that you could build within. By default in NBA, any use of a supernatural ability fucks you up real bad and is extremely draining, if you wanted to run contractors it would presumably be "unless you perform your remuneration".

Now as for how to actually generate unusual or interesting abilities... I actually have something I made for Stands lying around for NBA, but as DtB is a setting with a similar type of weirdness to abilities, maybe not quite as weird as is typical for stands, I think it would work fine. You probably would want to:
- Remove all the shit about naming your abilities. That is one anime trope DtB avoids completely.
- Remove all the stuff that pertains to spiritual body vs. ability, and the rules of stands etc. DtB contractors directly project their ability, there is only one fundamental component of how their power functions.
- Weight the ability stats lower by altering the roll numbers. DtB contractors are a lot weaker than Stand users. As a ballpark:
None: 01 - 05
E: 06 - 24
D: 25 - 41
C: 42 - 64
B: 65 - 89
A: 90 - 99
S: 00 - 00
- Take a good look at the Hamon section at the very end to see how to structure the resulting power to fit into NBA's existing framework.

Personally I can vouch for NBA being pretty good for this, having rules for your sponsors, handlers, double-crossing, chases across state lines, etc.
>>
>>52999575

My point was that it is actually easily doable in GURPS.
>>
>>52996104
>>52995034
You should really watch Darker than Black before you make suggestions.
>>
>>53006234

I have. I am honestly trying to figure out a better system than GURPS powers for it. I don't know Wild Talents/Godlike well enough.
>>
>>52996104
BESM is just a bunch of homebrewed 3.5 classes based on common anime character types. It is not flexible at all. If the kind of character you want doesn't fit within one of the classes it has it's basically useless.

Which means it's very useless for a game based on DtB because of the huge variety in powers.

>>52994920
Mutants & Masterminds, OP. Lowish PL and give let them go crazy on equipment.

An obeisance is just the Limited or Qurik flaw depending on how inconvenient it is.
>>
>>53007221
>An obeisance is just the Limited or Qurik flaw depending on how inconvenient it is.
I'd see it more as a Complication than a flaw, seeing as it's something that Contractors literally have to do.
>>
>>52996104
>using generic anime role playing system for sociopath x-men in roadside picnic
shiggy

But probably some supers system, yeah. Haven't really played any of those.

>mfw DtB was my first anime
feels nostalgia man
>>
I've thought about doing this in Fate using Venture City Stories but never got around to actually doing anything with it.
>>
>>52994920
Run Double Cross, it emulates Darker than Black almost perfectly. You'll just need a couple easy house rules to make it fit.

Every character has a thing called an Impulse, which is an unstoppable urge to do edgy shit (like killing/eating people, harming yourself, drinking blood, etc). You can just replace that mechanic with remunerations, and instead of making them trigger randomly to test the character's humanity, you trigger them after they've used their powers a bit.

Impulse checks make you gain Encroachment which is a big deal in the system, but you might want to house rule that it doesn't give any for remunerations, since using your powers in the first place already increases Encroachment and you don't want too much of it (unless you're an absolute madman). It'll make sense when you read the system and all.

Another thing to house rule is the Warding power. It basically lets you auto kill/knockout every normal human in the area to reinforce the idea that people with powers are a big deal. Get rid of this and regular people can still be decent threats, as long as they have top tier items and equipment to make up for lack of powers.

If characters gain too much Encroachment, it's possible for them to turn into monsters driven by their impulse which basically means they're removed from play as PCs. You could refluff that to them becoming moratoriums (the contractors that don't have a remuneration, but are also unstable killing machines).

You basically just need to refluff a couple things, fix a few things to fit the DtB setting, and Double Cross works great for the premise.
>>
How would you stat chinese electric batman, /tg/?
>>
>>53011664
To add on to this, the Lois system is a basic character relationships mechanic that you need to not get fucked by the encroachment system. The more relationships you have, the better your chances of not turning into an ayy lmao at the end of the arc.

Hei's slice of life shenanigans are basically him working on his Loises, which is why he manages to survive through the entire series so well compared to other contractors he fights. The basic format of every two-episode arc in DtB is exactly how you're meant to run Double Cross.

I can't think of any game that matches better than this.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.