[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My DM is running a 3.P E6 campaign gestalted and using Recharge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: 1476848622676.jpg (124KB, 600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1476848622676.jpg
124KB, 600x1031px
My DM is running a 3.P E6 campaign gestalted and using Recharge Magic variant rules.

For context, E6 caps out at 6th level or HD for players and then grants additional feats for advancement past that. At 6th level if you've taken all 6 levels in one class you can elect to take a capstone feat. Fighters who take their's for example are treated as 8th level for qualifying for feats, while clerics gain an extra domain power from a domain associated with their deity as their capstone.

I'm thinking of playing a Shadowcaster in this setup, but since they're not one of the core classes they're lacking a base capstone. Their spellcasting system normally gives them one "Spell" known per level, and they can use it once per day each time its selected, so a 6th level shadowcaster might have 6 spells each once per day or one spell six times per day. It's pretty meek on its own but I'm not angling to blow things out of the water with this, just fitting into the underdark.

Would it be fitting to have the Shadowcaster treated as 7th level, where their 1st to 3rd level spells switch from 1/day spells to 2/day Spell-Like Abilities? In Recharge Magic it might grant each one a second cooldown delay allowing them to spam spells a lot more effectively than a standard arcane caster in trade for picking a sub-par spell-list and set of options.

Alternatively, what would you suggest as a capstone?
>>
TL;DR
>>
File: 1470528390320.png (2MB, 1444x2080px) Image search: [Google]
1470528390320.png
2MB, 1444x2080px
>>52976637
What's a good capstone for a shadowcaster in E6?
>>
File: 1454556407933.jpg (103KB, 1024x773px) Image search: [Google]
1454556407933.jpg
103KB, 1024x773px
>>52976693
>>
>mixing 3.5e and Pathfinder
>in an E6 game
>using totally broken magic rules
>it's also gestalt
>and I'm playing a weird caster class

I would need to see other capstones to judge your suggestion but it all sounds pretty retarded from the off. Like a kinda "I've optimized the base game and normal variants so many times it no longer interests me; let us make the weirdest set-up possible" thing.
>>
File: 1439512314110.jpg (210KB, 643x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1439512314110.jpg
210KB, 643x1000px
>>52977357
Barbarian gains DR1/- for their capstone. It's not a lot but it lets them start nabbing additional DR boosting feats and the like, which since those are a river akin to xp is pretty useful.
Bard's Inspire Courage goes to +2 rather than capping at 3.5's +1 for their level. Combined with all the other +1s and multipliers possible that works out alright.
Cleric's one is in the OP post.
Druid picks 1 large animal and can then wildshape into it as long as it can handle all other restrictions that they have available.
Fighter as above counts as 8th for feat prereqs.
Monk takes no penalties for their Flurry and can take 6th level Monk feats as bonus feats even if they'd normally only get them from Monk advancement.
Paladins count their attacks as Good aligned at all times for dealing with DR and aligned attack effects.
Rogues learn one of their Rogue Special Abilities.
Sorcerer and Wizard don't get capstones but can take a feat starting at 6th level to learn a new spell.

>totally broken magic rules.
It's moderately restrictive; A single-class fullcaster casts three spells in a row and might get stuck waiting a couple more before they can cast another; makes nova-casting much more difficult. It can be broken but
>I've optimized the base game and normal variants so many times it no longer interests me"
is actually an accurate assessment of our group in many regards. Imagine being so ivory tower that the system is actually viable because the players and DM know the system so well that they can collaborate on what acceptable ranges of power will be for the scenario so that everyone's having fun. We're doing e6 for our lower-power settings now while having run as high as lvl 40 with divine ranks at times for others.

It's just a matter of what kind of campaign is being presented and making characters to fit.
>>
>>52977681
>Imagine being so ivory tower that the system is actually viable because the players and DM know the system so well that they can collaborate on what acceptable ranges of power will be for the scenario so that everyone's having fun
Color me unconvinced because those capstones you've just listed definitely aren't equivalent. If you know the system that well, you shouldn't have to ask /tg/ for input and if you don't but the attitude is actually "what me and my group have going absolutely works for us" then you should ask your group, not /tg/.

I don't really understand your suggestion here in line with the Recharge Magic rules though:
>In Recharge Magic it might grant each one a second cooldown delay allowing them to spam spells a lot more effectively than a standard arcane caster in trade for picking a sub-par spell-list and set of options.
Are you saying you want to cast each one twice before the cooldown kicks in, or what?
>>
File: 1477072196640.jpg (225KB, 529x750px) Image search: [Google]
1477072196640.jpg
225KB, 529x750px
>>52977842
That was what I had in mind but your first comment rings true with one exception; Because it's such a niche class most of them haven't read Tome of Magic with the exception of the DM who likes the Binder class at the front of the book.

The Tome of Magic has 3 main sections, Pact Magic, Shadow Magic, and Truename magic.

Pact Magic is pretty solid and works nicely.
Shadowmagic is sub-par in terms of casting system and effectiveness of its spells.
Truename magic is scarcely functional and with moderate-to-high skill optimization you can make a decent healing support out of it until 20th level where the infinite gate loop trick makes it a 1-trick pony, though I think that might've been eratta'd out later.

Double-casting fairly weak spells didn't seem like it'd be overly potent while still providing neat fluff to work with, odd abilities that make for some potential synergy with whatever the gestalt turns out to be, and fits to keep a bit of the mystery that gets lost when your group has memorized most of the core spell list.
>>
What's recharge magic?
>>
File: 1476849205872.jpg (141KB, 589x840px) Image search: [Google]
1476849205872.jpg
141KB, 589x840px
>>52979423
Replaces standard vancian casting that dnd's early editions is known for with a diceroll cooldown for most spells. Certain spells have longer cooldowns to prevent their excess use, but otherwise a 6th level sorcerer can cast a 3rd level spell every 1d6 rounds, a 2nd level spell once every 1d4+1 rounds, and a 1st level spell every 1d4 rounds. There's some variation between classes, but you have a delay on casting a spell of the same level.

So, if your 3rd level Cure Serious Wounds spell gets used to heal your fighter buddy, you can't hit him with that again until 1d6 rounds are up, nor can you use any other 3rd level spell until the same, but you can try and hope that your 2nd level Cure Moderate Wounds spell might suffice the next round, but after that you're waiting another 1d4+1 rounds and might have to wait the same or more time before you can do the same for a 2nd level spell.

If your fighter buddy needs a 3rd round of healing, either you better have a wand of some sort or a 1st level Cure Light Wounds is going to have to cut it until anything else comes back around to you and your 2nd and 3rd level spell slots recharge.

From experience, even gestalting for 2xCasterClass doesn't prevent this delay from coming up because you'll need spells that are locked up recharging rather than the ones you have at the ready, and so have to adjust your choices accordingly.
>>
>>52980197
Sounds like a good way to stay relevant as a caster at a low level, but having to keep track of each level would definitely annoy me.
>>
>>52976693
The shadow dancer ability to teleport via shadows. Except infinite use.
>>
>>52976616
> explains what e6 is
> doesn't explain how recharge magic works
>>
File: 1476847936368.jpg (82KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476847936368.jpg
82KB, 600x375px
>>52980564
Hindsight is a 9th level spell.

>>52980518
I like this in concept, but I'd need to find a lower-level teleportation effect to base it on as Shadowjaunt is based in Dimension Door, a 4th level spell outside e6's reach. Maybe benign transposition or something; either way worth a look.

>>52980510
It's mostly a combat-only thing with the exception of a few spells or effects (restoration and the like having an 8hour CD for example). Tracking a couple of dice rolls into descending turn trackers doesn't come out as too frustrating.
>>
>>52980660
I think there are A LOT of Jaunt/Step spells. I hope I'm thinking of Spell Compendium and not some of the 3rd party books I've been reading lately (if so it was probably Planes & Portals or Spells & Spellcraft).
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.