[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 103

File: custom card.png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
custom card.png
2MB, 1400x1800px
>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Previous thread:
>>52882020
>>
File: Rootborn Guardian.jpg (221KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Rootborn Guardian.jpg
221KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: Stralog, Sylvan General.jpg (249KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Stralog, Sylvan General.jpg
249KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: 2 White Rares First Draft.jpg (483KB, 2625x523px) Image search: [Google]
2 White Rares First Draft.jpg
483KB, 2625x523px
First draft of the white rares for the set.
>>52964902
Still a solid design.
>>52964913
The indestructible on the lands is a bit much and makes this design somewhat boring. No risk, just value.
>>
File: Aneket the Omniscient.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aneket the Omniscient.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Damn, dead thread
>>
>>52964892
I have an idea for a set mechanic, where the set is based around cards in hand.
>Dream X: Reveal up to X cards from your hand, then gain an effect based on the number of revealed cards with a certain quality.
Examples:
>Dream 5. $CREATURE gets +1/+1 for each instant or sorcery card revealed this way.
>As you cast this spell, you may dream 2. If you do, $SPELL deals 2 more damage for each Mountain revealed this way.
>1GG: Dream 3, then for each green creature revealed this way, target creature gains Trample until end of turn.
Good idea? Bad idea?
>>
File: Ma-Oumaten Worldmaw.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ma-Oumaten Worldmaw.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52966371
Seems like balance would be tricky. Revealing cards isn't really much of a cost, so Dream abilities would be basically free. Unless you required very specific reveals, which would be awkward. Maybe if you did it as an ability word with a cost, like bloodrush? Something like:

Dream [NUMBER]-- [COST]: You may reveal [up to N] [CARD TYPE] when [This etb's/you cast this]. If you do, [EFFECT for each revealed].
>>
>>52967536
>>52966371
Actually, it'd end up being a lot more like Forecast than Bloodrush.
>>
>>52967536
It's not intended to be a cost, but a bonus effect - on cast, or as a triggered ability, or as an optional additional cost. There are lots of cards right now that have "reveal things from your hand" as a bonus. Also, it's not intended to be limited to card types - you should be able to reveal as much of your hand as you want, up to the N, of course.

Also, there's the context, which I kinda forgot to mention. This set is going to be a "cards in hand" themed set, and also an exercise in "how many ways can you interact with the cards in your hand without actually casting them" and "how many ways can you interact with your opponent's hand that isn't forcing discard." To that end, I'm including mechanics like Forecast, Splice (not just onto Arcane, but onto Creature or Instant), and Evoke. I'd appreciate other suggestions.
>>
File: Dream Mockup.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dream Mockup.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>52966371
>>52967536
>>52967738
Okay, I came up with this, which is some weird bastard child of Forecast, Bloodrush, and Imprint. Feel free to alter it to fit your needs, or ignore it if it isn't quite what you were going for.
>>
>>52965494
Fair point. What do you suggest? Just removing indestructible would make the lands too vulnerable imo. Maybe make him cost 4GG and make him and the lands 5/5 instead of 4/4?
>>
>>52967769
Eh, not really what I was intending. Dream's not supposed to be an ability on its own any more than Scry is. In fact, Scry is a pretty good analogy - it's an effect from a triggered or activated ability, or an on-cast effect. The only difference is that Dream then has an effect based on the revealed cards.
>>
File: Dream Mockup 2.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dream Mockup 2.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52967817
Remove the indestructible and make the animation a may ability. Now it requires decision-making on both player's parts, which is more fun, and allows for prediction and counterplay. 4/4s aren't inherently vulnerable, and such free value should have an associated risk.
>>52967818
Okay, so more like this? Do I have that right?
>>
>>52967536
>revealing cards is not a cost

but having them in hand is.

>>52966371
eh. the only way to tell it is to design a bunch of cards and play it out, but i would *guess* that you can't have it eat all the design space, because the game is better left on the table, where we can all see stuff and interact with it.
it also creates memory issues for the opponent.
they would end up being strongly build-around cards that might not be so great alone.

i would use it as a low-key mechanic, just as gimmicky and niche as aftermath in amonkhet. perhaps design 15 cards around it and that's it.
>>
>>52965494
>>52967817
>>52967943
i agree with that guy: it's a 8 damage trample vigilance guy at 5cc that let you have a lot of blockers and free up 1 mana each turn.Giving it a downside can only be healthy, making the ability a may makes it more intuitive
>>
>>52967944
>but having them in hand is [a cost].
No it isn't; it's a resource. If it were a cost, it would require using that resource in some way that is inherently finite (like discarding cards or tapping lands). Revealing is repeatable with no associated cost or loss of potential, and therefore not inherently finite (lands can only be tapped once per turn, while cards can be revealed any number of times). Having the right type of card in hand to reveal for a specific effect is a matter of luck, not a matter of cost.
>>
>>52968123
And deckbuilding, don't forget deckbuilding.

>>52967943
Yes, this seems right, although the wording might be changed.
>When $CARDNAME enters the battlefield, Dream 2. For each creature card revealed this way, $EFFECT.
More compact, doesn't take two lines, easier to understand.
>>
>>52964892
So, I tried to install MSE. However, it won't let me create a new set - mainly because the "Card Style" window when I select Magic as "Game Type" is empty. I just installed it, and confirmed opening it. All the card styles are there in the x86 Data folder, they're just not showing up. Suggestions?
>>
>>52968707
Make sure MSE isn't in your programs folder. Download and install all of the card style updates.
>>
>>52968707
It really needs to be added to the OP but you shouldn't install MSE in the default folder. Put it in its own folder on a different drive or at least outside Windows or Program folders because Windows doesn't allow modifications to stuff in those folders and MSE needs that permission so it'll run like crap otherwise.

Speaking of the OP, it needs to be updated to include evergreen changes and a section on feedback and thread etiquette. They are low population though now these days that we can't let people post cards without commenting on other cards.
>>
File: Omega Beam.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Omega Beam.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
Still need to do Darkseid. Not much to explain with this one though.

>>52964902
Still looks good.

>>52964913
Not bad, but I agree with Time anon. Get rid of Indie on the land.

>>52965494
>RW01
Meh.

>RW02
Seems pretty powerful.

>RW03
Cool, but I feel like 1WW for all that is pushing it. Then again, it doesn't work by itself, so I could be wrong.

>RW04
Kinda odd. Unsure about this one.

>RW05
Seems OK.

>RW06
Seems OK.

>RW07
Eh, seems fine.
>>
>>52966211
Boring.
Make it reveal the top card of each players library, then you can choose one of those cards and pay any mana equal to it's cmc to cast that card. (worded differently, and maybe with an activation cost)
Maybe makes it red instead of blue.
>>
>>52968864
That did it, thanks.

Also, how do you get the new M15 card formats?
>>
File: Talir Ensouled Champion.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Talir Ensouled Champion.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>52968945
It's a Future Sight that lets you cast from every library; I think that's pretty cool.
>Maybe makes it red instead of blue
Kind of a dealbreaker; it's the flagship card for my GU faction. If you have some GU suggestions, though, I'm all for it.
>>52968870
Thanks for the feedback. So they're generally solid all around?
>Omega Beam
Seems fine, although black having a way to get rid of artifacts and enchantments, even indirectly, strikes me as at least a little odd.
>>
>>52968947
MSE forums have them. Just go to Additional Downloads in the sidebar and grab what you want from there; it links directly to the forum post that has them. You also have to install the Beleren font from there too to get the right font for m15.

>>52969110
I asked last thread about this card and the concept/reasoning behind what the ability does, and I'm still curious about it. Care to elaborate? The two modes just seem like odd sides to the same coin is all.
>>
File: Darkseid of Apokolips2.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid of Apokolips2.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Darkseid. Eh, don't really have a lot to say, just Parademons and some good abilities I think make sense for him. Unsure on the tokens though, both the P/T and if they should ETB attacking.

>>52969110
>Thanks for the feedback. So they're generally solid all around?
Pretty much. RW02 seems pretty cool, but making him very expensive helps. Screams draft bomb though. RW03 I think you need to keep an eye on. The more I look at RW04, the less comfortable I am with putting it at 2/W. That's the only one I feel like needs a change right now.

>Omega Beam
There is Silence the Believers which exiles Auras. I'll probably just make it 2BW though.

>Talir
Odd ability. Not entirely sure if I like it.
>>
File: RA01 Doubling Cube R.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RA01 Doubling Cube R.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Here, have a reprint.
>>52969328
>I asked last thread about this card and the concept/reasoning behind what the ability does, and I'm still curious about it. Care to elaborate? The two modes just seem like odd sides to the same coin is all.
Sure thing. So, in the first set, the UR faction's leader had an ability that exiled cards from libraries and let you cast them when he attacked. In this set, his faction and the RW faction have aligned, and he imbued the RW faction leader with his power. Mechanically, the idea was that the ability gives you the option of increasing your board presence if you whiff on a card but, since you have to cast the card immediately or lose it, the decision is still a pressing one.
>>52969356
>The more I look at RW04, the less comfortable I am with putting it at 2/W. That's the only one I feel like needs a change right now.
Why is that?
>Darkseid
Damn, he's backbreaking. Better annihilator. Still, appropriate for the huge 7BBB cost, barring reanimation.
>>
File: Uthmir Raider.png (267KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uthmir Raider.png
267KB, 375x523px
>>52969495
Fair enough. I didn't know the connection between the UR guy and this one, but I recalled this dude from last set so it was a bit odd to see him. Makes more sense to me now. I don't see a problem with him power-wise or anything, just that I wanted some background.

>>52969356
Darkseid WOULD demand to be a better Eldrazi wouldn't he. He does need some way to play around him though... hm. Nonestly? I don't see him having Trample. The permanent exile is enough on that front. He's too austere in my mind to just rampantly cause collateral damage, though you could justify it by saying it's just how unstoppable he is, but again, exile ability. That at least lets you delay him while he monologues at the pitiful whelp sent to stand in his way about how beneath him said whelp is.

Reposting in the hopes it doesn't get overlooked this time. I'm having a bad time getting feedback lately.
>>
>>52969495
>Why is that?
I find it hard to put into words, but basically all the advantages it has over Elite Vanguard. Also, I've been thinking about Convoke. Imagine having an opening hand of four of these things and one Plains. You could hardcast one then Convoke the rest onto the battlefield. I think there's a reason Convoke is only found on creatures with CMC 4 or greater.

>>52969590
>Darkseid
Sounds good, will remove Trample. Might give him the Darksteel Colossus graveyard ability.

>Uthmir Raider
Eh, seems like it would be a pain to keep track of. Also, you'd have to specify that the face down permanents aren't 2/2's, since that's what happens to them normally.
>>
>>52969708
>you'd have to specify that the face down permanents aren't 2/2's
Why? They are 2/2s; that's their default stat when face down and not in exile. I had a bunch typed out last thread about it. The idea is that each color can seize different permanent types based on what they are allowed to interact with, and hold them for ransom. The ransom is a card, and the permanent's controller can "reclaim" it at any time. The cards are 2/2s while face down because that represents angry peasants/priests/denizens/whatever that have gathered to seek retribution from the interlopers, and the permanent's controller has the choice if they prefer the body or the original thing they had, creating interaction and decision making.
>>
File: 0 Common Artifacts Second Draft.jpg (334KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
0 Common Artifacts Second Draft.jpg
334KB, 1875x523px
>>52969590
>Seize
Why does it turn lands and artifacts into creatures? That part seems flavorfully unintuitive.
>>52969708
Come on, anon, Elite Vanguard is old and busted.
>You could hardcast one then Convoke
That's the idea; I wanted a creature that could be convoked cheaply and aggressively. I don't think the Christmasland scenario of having all four in hand is something to actively plan against--cards like Burning-Tree Emissary and Priest of Urabrask exist. I could nix the vigilance, but I really want to keep the 1cmc convoke concept alive.
>>
>>52969816
>Why does it turn lands and artifacts into creatures? That part seems flavorfully unintuitive.
Ah, I see now. That makes more sense.
>>
>>52969708
>>52969816
Though I guess it's fair that WotC does put that 2/2 thing on their own cards so I should have too, even if it's understood by us and by the rules. That's my fault on that one.
>>
>>52965494
Loyal Warmount is undercosted - 2/1 vigilance for W is already a really good deal. Being able to pay 2 instead is also a substantial bonus. Getting to convoke it out is just nuts.
>>
>>52969110
Flying and first strike makes the attack trigger so safe. Getting something when you don't cast the card also goes against red's impulsive nature.
>>
>>52969816
Oh, I assumed you wanted them to be useless permanents when Seized.

>>52969854
Yeah, mostly because this.
>>
>>52969851
If I add the reminder for 2/2, how would you propose I do it?
>"To seize a permanent, turn it face down as a 2/2 creature. Its controller may turn it face up at any time. If he or she does, you draw a card."
or
"To seize a permanent, turn it face down. It's a 2/2 creature while its face down. Its controller may turn it face up at any time. If he or she does, you draw a card."

Also kinda bummed the flavor didn't come across on its own. If it has to be explained, it's probably not a good design, is it? Shame, I like seize as a concept. I think I'm starting to get spent on failed cards and concepts. I dunno why I still post anymore.

>>52969827
Already commented on these a bit ago. Good to see the circlet change.

>>52965494
>RW01
Mass gustcloaking is pretty cool, but I always had a soft spot for it. represents the "desert raider" hit and run thing pretty well given that it has Ambush. Flavor is spot on for me.
>RW02
Eh, I dunno about this. It's awkward to me since it makes flying tokens. If it were regular 1/1s it'd be a bit less demanding of a choice, and like with the mana generating green fatty you have, I don't like utility on big bodies because it'd make new/inexperienced players stress over the best course of action too much.
>RW03
Seems fine, but too cheap.
>RW04
This I like. I dunno about Vigilance though. It's kind of on the edge. Needs playtesting, truth be told.
>RW05
Neat. White getting a super combat trick is just fine by me.
>RW06
Compares well to Nomad's Assembly, so that's fine by me.
>RW07
Mega Oring? Hm. I'd make it heavier white to compensate. 2WW.
>>
>>52969961
>Getting something when you don't cast the card also goes against red's impulsive nature.
That's why it isn't just red. Also, the decision has to be made immediately, as soon as the card is exiled, which is in line with red's impatience.
>>
>>52969872
>>52970066
>>52965494
Since it's a "warmount" he could change it to be like Loyal Pegasus.
>>
>>52969590
Seize is essentially "draw a card, sometimes". the opponent has too much control over how it plays out.
>>
>>52970209
I think it means a lot more than that, but not everyone is going to like everything, so that's fair.
>>
>>52970258
>I think it means a lot more than that
Explain then
>>
>>52970292
Already did here >>52969816. I don't really have much more to offer than this so if that doesn't sell you I guess I can't sell you on it, which is fine. You like what you like and if you think it's garbage then that's your prerogative.
>>
>Rewind: UU3
>Instant
>The game's state is taken back to the beginning of the current player's turn just after their Untap step. Tapped cards are untapped, drawn cards are placed back on top of their library, triggered abilities are untriggered, and permanents in the graveyard are removed as if the turn had never happened. The only thing not affected by Rewind is any cards that were tapped or played to cast this instant. Exile this card.

Anyone think of a better way to word this?
>>
File: Capture+_2017-04-29-14-09-03.png (907KB, 710x991px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-04-29-14-09-03.png
907KB, 710x991px
R8 friend's design
>>
>>52970512
Yeah, to not. Seriously, this is impossible to track without dedicated judges or unbiased third party observers to keep track of which cards were drew when, etc. It's a huge pain for no appreciable benefit to the game.
>>
>>52970571
Permanent control effects aren't black or green.
>>
>>52970691
>Permanent control effects aren't black
Unhallowed Pact
Olivia Voldaren
Captivating vampire

that's just off the top of my head
>>
>>52970718
>Unhallowed Pact
Reanimation, which is different.
>Olivia Voldaren
Red. Also, Wizards bent things for vampire tribal flavor.
>Captivating vampire
Again, vampires.

Control Magic effects aren't monoblack.
>>
>>52970066
I also agree sieze seems a little weird but viewed very simply it kind of makes sense, though I cant imagine it any color besides red and blue to be honest. Maybe black since it also has punisher mechanics.

Is there any reason you NEED the functionality of the owner being able to flip at any time? It feels like itd be easier to template and understand if it just happened on the activation and they made the decision immediately, and it also wont have to gum up the board with additional things players have to keep track of. Itll also feel way more red to me since itd be in the vein of browbeat and such.
>>
do you guys print your cards or is it just a hobby?
>>
>>52970718
I tend to agree with >>52970898
The middle ability should have something to do with webs, maybe like the ones Arachnus Spinner makes or maybe web counters that do something.
-3: Put a web counter on target creature, then you may tap or untap that creature. Creatures tapped this way do not untap during their next untap step.

A spider planewalker that creates a web on the board and them manipulates things stuck in it would be cool.
>>
File: Planters Punch.png (244KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Planters Punch.png
244KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Rabbit Punch.png (262KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rabbit Punch.png
262KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52971039
Urza free spells in green. What could go wrong?
>>
>>52970915
>RBU
I'd be fine with it in Grixis. I agree that W and G are a bit sketchier but they also have precedent in enchantment and artifact removal so seizing those would at least be explainable, but if it did go five colors, it'd be the least in those two if at all.
>functionality
I did it to prevent it from being too good or feelbad for the opponent, but if we think that an immediate decision is better, that's a possibility. I dunno if I agree that it "gums the board up" since you have to keep track of Morph and Manifest and you have to keep your face down cards clearly demarcated from each other as I found out a few threads back per the official rules. So it's more complex to be sure, but I don't think moreso than Morph and its family of mechanics.
>feel more red
I didn't design it with red particularly in mind, just that the card I made was red since it seized lands and artifacts; two things red can interact with, so I'm not sure it has to ape red mechanics more closely, at least not because of that anyway.

All in all I like how it works as it is, but if you have some wording to throw at me, I'm game. Speaking of wording though, any thoughts on how to include the 2/2 reminder? I can't quite figure out how to cram it in there comfortably.
>>
>>52970992
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's just a hobby for me, even if I'm bad at it. I entertained the idea of printing my sets out a long time ago, but I only finished the one and nobody cared about it so I figured I'd save the cash and pass on it. Gave up doing sets entirely, just do singles and concepts now, and it's just a thought exercise more than anything. That and I like giving feedback to others, but feedback and the state of these threads is a sore spot with me at the moment, so I'll leave that alone.
>>
>>52971112
that's nice anon, you should at least print some of them on paper and play with a friend who doesn't mind trying different stuff. i had a bro who'd come up with different commanders for both of us and we'd play each other with them.
>>
Spider tribal, any ideas?
>>
>>52971501
I'd be cheeky and say go to the archive and look at the 2-3 people who did it before, but that's a bit too cheeky even for me. What ideas do YOU have?
>>
File: rwu01 Marauders Drive.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
rwu01 Marauders Drive.png
269KB, 375x523px
A somewhat cheeky implementation of the conquest mechanic. Flavor being, once they've got the supplies they need from raiding, they aren't going to take more than they need / risk it but the instant they have want again they can go nuts.

So it's either a risky lockdown spell, a recovery spell, or a risk/reward pump spell.

Idunno if it would even see play in limited but I think it's nifty.
>>
>>52970691
>>52970571

blackand green can steal creatures...their own way.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=112443&part=Sisters+of+Stone+Death

turning them into spider and controlling them sounds way too blue.
>>
>>52970992
Hobby. Even if these threads died and never came back, I'd continue making cards because it's something I deeply enjoy.
>>
File: 1422769424764.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1422769424764.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>52971501
Made this one quite a while ago.
>>
>>52973165
Spider coated spiders with spider filling.
>>
File: Fulignious Candecense.png (310KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fulignious Candecense.png
310KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52973977
Go look at Char and then tell me this is reasonable as an uncommon.
>>
>>52973977
While I appreciate the memery, this is way too much for 3 cmc.
>>
>>52973998
One can deal 4 damage to a player, the other can't.
>>
>>52974023
Fine then, look at these and see if you can find one that deals 9 damage in any combination to things.
http://magiccards.info/query?q=mana%3D2R+o%3Adamage+t%3Ainstant
>>
>>52974616
Hungry Flames is the same card without the planeswalker clause.
>>
>>52973706
I hope that's a compliment.
>>
>>52973165
I like the flavor of this (if the spider bites you it lays its eggs in you, then when you die the spiders come out), but i dont love it mechanically. How about something that makes your spiders/deal damage to other creatures and make this give deathtouch to them? Maybe even make it jund to get those sweet red spiders and give them the ability to ping creatures or players. Maybe thats too easy.
>>
>>52976581
Also relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=99hDl0eQMR8
>>
>>52976581
Eh, yeah, pinging with DTouch seems too easy.
>>
>>52976648
Spider Bite 1g
Instant
Target spider you cobtrol gains deathtouch u til end of turn and deals damage equal to its power to target non-spider creature your opponent controls.
"Dont let the spider bit'cha where da good lawd split'cha"
>>
>>52970992
Hobby. Setmaking specifically. I love conceptualizing and designing groups of cards to work together and form a (hopefully) cohesive whole.
>>
File: Big Billy Bob.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Big Billy Bob.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52978584
A big abdomen themed spider lord is pretty cool.
>>
File: Antediluvian.png (281KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Antediluvian.png
281KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Richard Swift the Shade9.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Richard Swift the Shade9.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Another go on this. Mostly just messing with P/T and keywords. Formerly 3/3 with Indie and Haste, now just 2/2 with Indie. The token ability I definitely want to keep, just tinkering with some minor wording variants.

>>52978584
Interesting. Not sure if it's interesting enough to be a commander by itself though.

>>52979177
Do you play WoD? Anyway, I like the design. You can't just keep the counters around forever, you have to start placing them eventually. Seems like it could be effective if used well. Pretty cool.
>>
File: Lingering Eidolon.jpg (170KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Lingering Eidolon.jpg
170KB, 744x1039px
This is the reminder text I'm using for this mechanic, but something I really dislike is that it's really fiddly for something so simple and wizards already thought Madness was too weird and apparently complicated. What I'm wondering is, is it worth having backwards compatibility with Heroic, or should the simplified version (something like "(When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield under your control as an Aura with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature)") be used?
>>
File: Clinging Returned.jpg (203KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Clinging Returned.jpg
203KB, 744x1039px
>>52979337
And this
>>
File: esittely.png (707KB, 755x1029px) Image search: [Google]
esittely.png
707KB, 755x1029px
I'm designing a set with my friend to introduce friends to MTG: Usually the main why people haven't been wanting to even try this game is because "there are elves and fireballs, that's for children." So we are making 4 40-card decks with easy mechanics but a lot of cool flavour that everyone knows to at least to some extent. At the time we have 2 ready decks that we're playtesting, 1 still at the design phase and 1 we still need to doublecheck.
>>
>>52979522
Your friends sound close-minded, anon. Elves and fireballs are mainstream as shit nowadays.
>>
>>52979522
What >>52982003 said. Personally, I wouldn't bother wasting time on these people.
>>
>>52979337
>>52979383
I think I'd rather use Bestow. Or use DFC's for this mechanic.
>>
>>52979522
I don't get Compulsive Charge. Saccing like that at the end doesn't seem White or Green, seems very Red to me. If this is to get your friends into Magic because they think fantasy stuff is just for kids, which is ridiculous in and of itself, why not just make functional reprints but with different names, art, and subtypes? It would save you a lot of trouble. Lightning Bolt becomes Artillery Strike, Gatekeeper of Malakir becomes SS Captain, etc.
>>
>>52982093
It's not only for them. We're pretty much making this stuff for the flavor of it and have a laugh or two while having a beer. These are basically like the free welcome decks with a fun twist.
>>
>>52982439
I still don't understand why you don't just make functional reprints.
>>
Idea: A tribe of creatures in green that would all be ridiculously OP, were it not for a crippling weakness. For example:
>4/1 for 2 with haste, trample, and "creatures blocking this creature have first strike"
>5/2 for 1 with defender and "this creature blocks each turn if able"
>6/6 for 4 with trample and "you may only cast this creature if no player controls any creatures"
Just because I'm making an Australia-based set and I need to reference drop-bears in some way, so why not make a joke of it. Good idea? Bad? Suggestions?
>>
File: command cycle.jpg (509KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
command cycle.jpg
509KB, 1875x523px
>>52983397
Personally I like the idea and your implementation is pretty solid but boy does that need to be monitored very carefully.

Oh, idea, a leader of the tribe that makes it so your other creatures don't have abilities. Now that's cheeky.

Also, that feels to me like a jund mechanic with a bit of a focus on red rather than a primarily green mechanic.

ENEMY COMMANDS COMING THROUGH. HOW SHIT ARE THEY?
>>
File: Boom Tube.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Boom Tube.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
More New Gods stuff. Boom Tubes are teleportation technology that the New Gods use to get around.

>>52983397
"Downsides, the tribe"? Eh, not a fan. Also, the 6/6 sounds like a pretty good card to have after someone wipes the board. Just pair it up with Nevinyrral's Disk.
>>
File: Helliri, The Conscriptor old.png (190KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
Helliri, The Conscriptor old.png
190KB, 375x524px
>>52966211
Sorry for grammar, old one I made a while ago.
>>
>>52983651
Why'd you quote me?
>Card
It seems a bit muddled and definitely misworded in places; the ult is particularly bad. If it's an older card of yours, I'd suggest cleaning it up.
>>
>>52983651
>planeswalker - Demon
The subtype is the walker's name, not a type.

I think the 0 should be "exile up to one target permanent you control" so that it can be stuck under her to prevent memory issues. Also, the activation cost of a planeswalker's activated abilities are the loyalty costs so the "sacrifice...:" clause in the 0 can't exist, another reason to change it.

"Each opponent chooses a creature he or she controls with converted mana cost X. You gain control of those creatures until your next end phase."

As for the actual abilities, that 0 is just begging for problems. I feel like you could combine the + and the -X and have the -X be her middle ability since it's pretty similar to the current +. Then replace the + with something more generically valuable.

I can dig what you're going for but as is, this sort of design would be much better done in the form of a creature along the lines of original olivia voldaren.
>>
>>52982119
Its a different mechanic than bestow. Its kind of like telling someone youd rather constellation than, say, revolt. They play different roles and need different support.

And DFCs cant just go anywhere. This isnt a transformation really. Clinging Returned does have sort of a story you can imagine a DFC telling but lingering eidolon doesnt really. Really its just that theres no transformation for DFC to show. Theyre just kind of on you when they die. I think a fixed haunt would be useful to have because the flavor is so powerful. Haunt needed a reminder (in this case it becomes an aura), a more clear throughline of the ability granted (haunt creatures were etb triggers that became death triggers which is an extra level that probably isnt necessary), and a few other things like not using a word for an action or state that otherwise means nothing (haunts, haunting, though I dont have an issue with that-- I like becomes monstrous, renowned, etc.). I remember Maro saying an haunt where the creature becomes an aura was viable but he thought itd be wordy, buy its really not compared to Bestow unless I have the reminder text wrong.

He really hates haunt though. He thinks its worse than Radiance which I disagree with but hey, market research. But I can never find a really good explanation for why. I just kind of extrapolated those things up there. Just vague things like its hard to grok and is weird with the rules, but not exactly how. Only solid ground I know is that it shouldnt have been put on spells.
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
File: Series of Tubes.png (302KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Series of Tubes.png
302KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52988026
I can dig it
>>
File: versions.jpg (109KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
versions.jpg
109KB, 750x523px
Vanilla convoke or downside edition?
>>
>>52983494
I wanted to give you some feedback since you made 5 modal multicolor spells and probably spent some time on them, but honestly they just look like some on-color effects stapled together. There's some minor wording mistakes but those can easily be fixed by consulting magiccards.info or gatherer. If you really want to spend time doing that I suggest trying to make commands that are actually "coherent", if that makes sense.
If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way about the "official" commands.

>>52988236
Vanilla. Others have already mentioned that this could be busted in constructed formats so that's all I'm going to say.
>>
>>52988714
>Others have already mentioned that this could be busted in constructed formats
Downside edition was an attempt at balancing that. So why do you say vanilla?
>>
>>52988714
>on color effects stapled together
Is that not what commands are though. Am I missing something? What coherency is there to kolaghan's command besides being some of the best effects of b/r put together? Or crypitc with u.

And I did try for some coherency.

Preserving is meant to feel like you're draining the opponent and is meant for mid/late game stabilization.

Innovating can sometimes be a slightly expensive tutor but with optional utility / flavor of either innovating on an idea / an invention blowing up.

Decaying can either be a 1 sided miniature boardwipe or a good combat trick or a drown in sorrow that screws their next draw, all play together well and are usable in a variety of strategies right?

I mean, I guess I just don't know where you're coming from. The point of commands, at least as I see it, is to be build your own spell from the all star small effects of their colors and hopefully they synergize. I think I got some level of synergizing down, perhaps not to the extent of atarka's where it's "RG burn: the spell", but I feel like I got at least to the level of primal's or kolghan's which have more general application. Am I wrong somewhere?
>>
>>52988934
Not him, but I really dislike how some of the modes bleed into each other. Like, WB and BG have recursion. And BG has two kinds of recursion. UR has draw, WB has draw and opponent discards, which feels way more UB than WB.
>>
>>52989300
I know what you mean, I tried to keep them separate from each other on the majority of modes and the WB one did give me the most trouble and am most willing to fully reboot.
>>
>>52969590
>Seize
That's an interesting idea, but I do dislike both the flavor and the implementation.
Maybe it should force a mana cost to turn a seized card and forfeit the card draw.
Also that card should really target when seizing.
>>
File: Dewey Decimal.png (240KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dewey Decimal.png
240KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52990034
Nifty and kinda silly, I can dig it.
>>
File: RW04 Loyal Warmount.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RW04 Loyal Warmount.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>52988236
Still trying to work this one out. ETB tapped version?
>>
>>52992128
2/1 etb tapped.
>>
File: RR06 Otherworldly Possession.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RR06 Otherworldly Possession.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>52992376
Deal.
>>
>>52992841
That is a sweet design holy fuck.
>>
File: CM04 Parting Blow.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CM04 Parting Blow.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>52993026
Thanks, man!
>>
>>52989813
>but I do dislike both the flavor and the implementation.
So you just don't like it, because that's basically the entire ball of wax. Good to know; I think that's my cue to quit posting for good. Haven't made anything redeemable in ages, and it's not going to happen it seems. Thanks for convincing me, anon. Nothing of value will be lost.
>>
>>52993380
You've got some self-esteem issues, my man. We all post duds sometimes. Most of us, more than sometimes. Keep at it, dude.
>>
>>52993698
Why? Cards are meant to be enjoyed by more than just one's self. If you don't get posts like this >>52993026 at least once when making cards, something's wrong. I have never, EVER gotten that in all my years doing this. So why keep at it? Tell me. As if I'd be missed, anon that I am. Do it for myself? Well then why post?
>>
File: Vanilla Mythic.png (296KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vanilla Mythic.png
296KB, 375x523px
So I had a thought:
Who ever said the Vanilla Mythic creature had to be a super mana efficient fattie?
Pic related still gets summoning sickness, so it's the same as any land that generates any color but enters tapped essentially.

Also, according to MaRo, "A vanilla can’t have rules text by definition. It can technically have reminder text or flavor text."
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/160173927958/does-the-mythic-vanilla-have-rules-text-as-that
>>
>>52993925
You finished a set, man. That's pretty impressive. That's more than a lot of folks can say.
>>
>>52993098
I kinda wish it was the creature dealing the damage, not the spell.
>>
>>52994049
Yeah, I don't think WOTC is in the business of printing better Dryad Arbors.
>>
>>52994151
Yeah, but that wording would be quite a bit more complex. I'm not even sure how to go about it, really. So I went with this.
>>
File: Good Intention.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Good Intention.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52994323
>Demon
>Not a Devil
>>
>>52994101
I have no sets to my name, sorry.
>>
Hey, does anyone have pirate anon's ships from a while back? I was telling a friend about how he did vehicles better than wizards and even had the same wooden plank frame.
>>
File: Klabautermann.png (208KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Klabautermann.png
208KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52994555
I guess you aren't the anon I thought you were. If you've been here for years, you've definitely made something I'll recognize, though; I've been here for years as well. Got any of your old work lying around?
>>52994591
Pastebin, my friend. In the OP.
>>
>>52994614
Deleted it all. For the best. Same as I should probably do again, honestly. I'm also not doing anyone any favors shitting up the thread with this, so cheers.
>>
>>52994614
Oh dang, didn't see that. Thanks man, appreciate it.
>>
>>52994648
Post some cards, man. Critique is a given part of these threads. An integral part. Critique doesn't mean that a concept is unworkably bad, merely that it has room to improve. Nobody gets designs perfect on their first try. Take it on the chin and use it to polish your shit.
>>52994682
No problem, man. All sets completed by /tg/ posters are cataloged there. If you're looking for an old set, that's your first stop.
>>
File: Hiro Okamura Toyman10.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hiro Okamura Toyman10.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
Shoot me now. Trying to go for a focus on making artifact tokens. Unfortunately, about the best design I've come up with so far has been a slightly altered version of Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter.
>>
>>52994591
Pirate anon was one hell of a designer. Has his pirate set ever been topped, anywhere? Did he go on to make anything else?
>>
>>52994860
Give me some Toyman context to work with.
>>
>>52994864
Not that I know of. He really deserves a job at Wizards, he might be able to bring a little life back to the stale stuff they've been churning out.
>>
>>52994860
This should be WU rather than UR, since it can repeatedly churn out tokens.
>>
>>52994934
How in the world does that necessitate white?
>>
>>52994723
I'm not new enough not to know this. There is a stark difference between being able to take criticism and being weary of being either ignored or making concepts nobody cares for over and over.

>>52994934
Not necessarily; UR does artifact tokens repeatably now.
>>
>>52994905
/ccg/ all-star designers cube when?
>>
File: Universal Appeal.png (231KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Universal Appeal.png
231KB, 375x523px
I forget why I gave this its name.
>>
File: Health Warning.png (261KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Health Warning.png
261KB, 375x523px
>>
File: superman-batman-robot.jpg (746KB, 2022x1445px) Image search: [Google]
superman-batman-robot.jpg
746KB, 2022x1445px
>>52994864
AFAIK, the only person to even come close to Pirate anon is Time anon.

>>52994889
Genius-level inventor. But he's a kid, so the things he invents are kinda ridiculous. When he's told to build something to destroy an asteroid, he creates a giant mech that's half Superman and half Batman. He spaceship is in the shape of a cartoon fish. One of the ideas I've had is having tokens that either change and grow more powerful over time, or have it so Hiro makes different tokens, but both ideas seems way too complex.
>>
File: Breach Mockup 3.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Breach Mockup 3.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>52994994
>I'm not new enough not to know this.
Then don't act like it, man! You know how many shit cards and concepts I went through before I made one that anyone thought was decent? Too many to count. Countless shitty keywords and heavy-handed concepts and parasitic design ideas and just plain bad cards. Getting ignored and being shat on helped me become a better designer. It keeps you honest; people don't shit on cards for no reason, so when I received continuous negative feedback, I knew I needed to change things.

Pic related, one of my shitty, nothing ideas that got ditched (because it's literally Suspend and sometimes I'm an idiot).
>>
>>52995116
>Genius-level inventor. But he's a kid, so the things he invents are kinda ridiculous.
In UR? I'm thinking Arcum Dagsson plus Bludgeon Brawl.
>AFAIK, the only person to even come close to Pirate anon is Time anon.
Well, I don't know about that, but thanks! That's quite the compliment.
>>52995090
Lands too, huh? Why play instead of cast? Picking lands has a steep drop-off in effectiveness, and limiting it to casts might enable you to up the penalty. Niche either way.
>>52995050
That's a unique way to utilize white's penchant for tapping things. I like it. The name is odd, though, like you said.
>>
File: Hunt-pack Younglings.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hunt-pack Younglings.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Here's a card I found when looking through my old mse sets. Why can't we go back to Lorwyn?

>>52995145
It's not literally suspend but it is definitely too wordy. And probably too complex since it's more complex than suspend.
>>
>>52995276
This isn't green.
>>
File: The Game.png (302KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Game.png
302KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Maximus the Mad.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Maximus the Mad.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
>>52995231
>In UR? I'm thinking Arcum Dagsson plus Bludgeon Brawl.
What, just stapling the two effects together? Seems super clunky. Oh, and here's a different mad scientist inventor I did a while ago.

>compliment
No problem, you earned it.

>>52995386
That meme was retarded and I'm glad it's dead.
>>
>>52995145
I would say you'll get to where I am eventually, but you were actually successful at something, so it's highly unlikely. Enjoy your praise; you earned it.

>>52995276
This >>52995302

>>52995402
>this in a deck with a single artifact
It's kinda funny to think about.
>>
>>52995402
>What, just stapling the two effects together?
Not exactly, more like stapling the concepts together. Tutoring for artifacts, then utilizing or combining those artifacts in some wonky way to beat face. Could be straight Bludgeon Brawl, could be an activated ability where you sacrifice artifacts and make a big construct token with power/toughness = total cmc of sacrificed artifacts, could be some Bosh variant. The possibilities are endless.
>Maximus
Polymorph, but for artifacts? I can dig it.
>>
File: Lonnie Machin Anarky6.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lonnie Machin Anarky6.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Another legend that does stuff with artifacts.

>>52995498
>It's kinda funny to think about.
That's why I used the random order clause. Wizards uses it for the same reason. If it turns out there are no artifacts at all in the library (say for instance the controller and owner of the artifact aren't the same) it basically just results in the player revealing the entire library, then shuffling it.

>>52995510
>sacrifice artifacts and make a big construct token with power/toughness = total cmc of sacrificed artifacts,
I kinda thought that would be too much, but I might as well just go for it. I'll try to draw up a card tonight.
>>
File: Goliath Asp.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Goliath Asp.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>52995302
>>52995498
Huh, yeah you guys are exactly right. Not sure what I was thinking when I made it, my exuse was that it was over a year ago.
Here's something nice and color pie accurate.
>>
>>52995712
It's alright. Capitalize Forest.
>>
File: Fan of Knives.png (299KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fan of Knives.png
299KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Brief Respite.png (275KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brief Respite.png
275KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Dawn Dancer.png (321KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dawn Dancer.png
321KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Hiro Okamura Toyman15.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hiro Okamura Toyman15.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Another go on Toyman. Mashing stuff together version.

>>52996414
Seems cheap for a scaling effect. Could be wrong though.

>>52996518
I don't really get it. Ability seems interesting though.

>>52996559
And I don't get this one at all.
>>
>>52996740
Cool ability, kinda crazy though and pretty hard to track. I can imagine it getting out of hand in an EDH game.

>>52996518
The name doesn't make much sense, as you don't get any more of a respite than you would normally. It also doesn't feel very red since you don't get to attack with it. I'd just make it so it has haste and call the card something else.
>>
>>52996824
>since you don't get to attack with it

but you do?
>>
>>52988770
Because the other one has 2 toughness (making it good against Electrickery, Gut Shot etc.) and the "can't X alone" is rarely relevant when you can chain these off one another, leaving a wrath as the only way out for your opponent (because he can't cast enough spot removal to turn the 2/2s off within the first two turns).
Mind you I'm not an expert so it's entirely possible that I'm exaggerating the second toughness, but it is relevant.

>>52988934
>What coherency is there to kolaghan's command
There isn't any. Which is why I mentioned that I didn't like the official commands either.
>I guess I just don't know where you're coming from.
To me commands just feel like spell versions of keyword-soup creatures and so I don't like them.
What I would like to see is a command where all the modes have a common goal, so to speak.

>>52994323
Decent cantrip that eventually gives you a free Griseldad? Probably OP. Tutoring to hand is what I'd suggest.

>>52994608
Decent. But wouldn't it make more sense if it gained indestructible whenever it crews?
>>
File: Master Spark.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Master Spark.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Don't die.
>>
File: Bomb Collar.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bomb Collar.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>53001056
More restrictive Heat Ray? Pass.
>>
>>53001056
>>53001152
No, not Heat Ray, Volcanic Geyser. Still think I'd rather just pay the two R and use anything on the X cost.
>>
File: Master Spark.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Master Spark.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>53001167
Let's try going big then.
>>
>>53001152
Forgot my feedback.
Great flavor overall. I wonder if you could get away with a small power boost to make blocking more attractive when you use it on your own stuff.
>>
Where do you start when you're building a set? How do you go from a general concept of "Okay, I want to use X mechanic that I came up with and I have a general theme of X" to a full set?
>>
>>53001305
so you can target enchantments but don't interact with them?

Might want to add non-enchantment permanent
>>
>>53001616
Start by making a set skeleton. Map out size of the set and card/color distribution. Read the nuts and bolts design articles if you haven't already.
>>
>>53001616
What >>53002183 said. Link is in the PasteBin under "Design articles by Wizards"
>>
File: Turn Back Time.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Turn Back Time.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
Does this wording work? I feel like the golden rule makes it work, but maybe there's a better way?

>>53002157
Thanks for the fix.
>>
>>53002230
It's a weird card to be sure. You could say "Restart the turn. Skip the untap step of that turn."
>>
File: Donation Box.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Donation Box.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>53002388
That sounds a lot cleaner. Thanks.
>>
File: Trinity.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Trinity.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Bump. Small idea I had a while ago. Incredibly impractical since the respective cards are 3RGW, 2WB, and 6WWW, with a combined P/T of 16/16.

>>53002388
>Restart the turn
God that sounds like a headache.

>>53002567
Eh, feels kinda lazy to just get one more Extort trigger like that. Name makes me want to do something like Solemn Offering.
>>
>>52996414
>anime
Lmao
>>
>>52999117
>But wouldn't it make more sense if it gained indestructible whenever it crews?
Not really, because an opponent can kill it in response and if it's crewing it's not getting into combat.
>>
>>53004153
>You in the game
Immersive. I don't see why you specify "legendary [TYPE]" because clones will copy those characteristics anyway, so you could just use the names.

>God that sounds like a headache.
Do you prefer the previous wording? I guess the "restart" kind of implies things like putting back cards you drew and such, so maybe you're right. I'm just not sure how to word the effect so that "beginning of your upkeep" things trigger.

>Eh, feels kinda lazy to just get one more Extort trigger like that. Name makes me want to do something like Solemn Offering.
I actually thought this was clever. It's really a "donation" box, i.e. an extortion box, which is perfect for Orzhov.

>>53005991
I meant flavour-wise. I don't know much about European(?) folklore, but these things live on/in ships, right? So wouldn't it be helpless without one?
But yeah, gameplay-wise it would play badly like that.
>>
Do people ITT mostly post cards from their own custom sets, or are there a good number of single card designs being thrown around here?
>>
>>53006592
I'd wager there's more people posting singles than people with sets, but the people with sets post more often.
>>
File: Phantom Ring2.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phantom Ring2.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Caged Sun crossed with Gauntlet of Power. More powerful than both, but the color is random.

>>53006530
>Immersive. I don't see why you specify "legendary [TYPE]" because clones will copy those characteristics anyway, so you could just use the names.
To break up the names. Putting the card names in an actual list involves a bunch of commas. I feel like it's easier to read this way.

>Do you prefer the previous wording? I guess the "restart" kind of implies things like putting back cards you drew and such, so maybe you're right. I'm just not sure how to word the effect so that "beginning of your upkeep" things trigger.
Previous wording I think would be better simply because it doesn't imply reversing everything, as you said. Which is an idea I've seen people propose before, but there's just no feasible way to do it in meatspace. You'd basically have to announce to everyone that you have this card in your deck that requires everyone to keep track of everything that goes on in a turn. Just imagine that whenever you Scry, you need to write down the original order of the cards you looked at.

>I actually thought this was clever. It's really a "donation" box, i.e. an extortion box, which is perfect for Orzhov.
The idea is good, sure, I just don't really like making it an artifact that does nothing else. Probably just me though.

>>53006592
What >>53006678 said. Most people just post one-offs, but the people doing sets post fairly often. You kinda have to when you do a set.
>>
>>53006762
The first ability has to be two different abilities - "As enters" is a replacement effect and "At upkeep" is a triggered one.

You should tone down the mana gen, as it's easier to make rainbow mana than it is to have rainbow creatures in play. I like it otherwise.
>>
File: Take Captive.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Take Captive.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
Speaking of singles.
>>
File: State of Enlightenment.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
State of Enlightenment.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
How do we feel about monoW hellbent?

>>53006592
I just started making single cards for 2hus and eventually just stuff that came to mind as I got back into the game in real life.

>>53006762
>To break up the names.
That's reasonable. And in case you didn't catch it, you forgot the "w" in "win".
>I just don't really like making it an artifact that does nothing else.
I can't really have it do much more when it costs 0. Although the only format where you consistently have more than 1 permanent mana source turn 1 isn't one where you'd play it, so I could see making it cost 1 or 2 and adding stuff. I'll have to think of something.

>card
>>53006875 is right. Change the "As" to "Whenever". He's also right about the mana production.

>>53006940
Flavour is more UB than U, though the effect is fine for that cost. I like it.
>>
>>53006875
>The first ability has to be two different abilities - "As enters" is a replacement effect and "At upkeep" is a triggered one.
Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I recalled Mystic Barrier differently in my head.

>You should tone down the mana gen, as it's easier to make rainbow mana than it is to have rainbow creatures in play. I like it otherwise.
Yeah, I originally had it at two mana. Thanks for the feedback.

>>53006940
Not bad. Name kinda makes me wish it had an effect like Soul Ransom.
>>
>>53007000
>I can't really have it do much more when it costs 0. Although the only format where you consistently have more than 1 permanent mana source turn 1 isn't one where you'd play it, so I could see making it cost 1 or 2 and adding stuff. I'll have to think of something.
Er, well, I was thinking that it would increase the mana cost.

>card
Pretty odd. The fact that it doesn't "turn off" no matter how many cards you have after it's on the battlefield makes it a lot harder to balance. Also, what's up with that wording for the cast ability? Oh, wait, it's because it's a spell you cast from your hand checking your hand, right? I see.
>>
File: RM06 Rechannel.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM06 Rechannel.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>53006592
I post mostly cards from my custom set projects, but I have a good number of one-off designs as well. This is the former, however.
>>
>>53008115
It's nice that it's until your next turn, since you've already spent five mana to get it there in the first place, but I think you should either have the cast be without paying, or allow mana to be spent as if it were any color in order to cast it.
>>
File: Abyss Crawler.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Abyss Crawler.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>
I started this set months ago, took a break, have come back, and I still can not get a solid lock on what I want my BG grave based mechanic to be.

do thing: Create a 1/1 black and green Fungus Zombie creature token with all activated abilities of target creature card with converted mana cost {param1} or less in a graveyard.

Do thing: Exile target creature card with converted mana cost {param1} or less from a graveyard, create a 1/1 black and green Fungus Zombie creature token with all abilities of the exiled card.

befoul # - $ (When this creature dies, you may pay $ and exile it. If you do, return target creature card with converted mana cost # or less from your graveyard to the battlefield under your control.)

Or to have them die and give + counters or some other kind of counter that allows stuff in the grave to come back. But toying with that kind of design can easily get too parasitic or derivative of scavenge.

It's such a mother fucker that they came out with embalm because that's basically the exact mechanic I would love to fuck around with but BG, doesn't fit flavor, and I don't want to reuse a second mechanic.
>>
>>53008239
I guess you could do SOI recursion.
>[mana cost], Discard two cards: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Though yeah, Embalm is pretty awesome. If you just want to make a variant of that, I wouldn't hold it against you. I loved the idea back when Time anon proposed it too.

As for Befoul, I'd rather just use a Modular variant.

Hmm, actually, seeing all these 1/1 tokens, maybe something like Sprouting Thrinax?
>Sprout 3 (When this creature dies, create three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.)
Or something similar. Maybe ask to exile the card? Huh, Scavenge but with tokens? Could work.

Heck, personally, I think you could just use Scavenge as long as you didn't overcost it to shit the way Wizards did.
>>
File: Scarred Godfather.png (267KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scarred Godfather.png
267KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53008735
The other effects are kinda interesting, but that lifegain effect just feels way too weak.
>>
File: Merlok Tidehunter.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Merlok Tidehunter.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Southsea Vixen.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Southsea Vixen.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>53009142
>>
>You're not a maverick card designer. If you were, you'd be working at WotC.
Bullshit.
>>
>>53009142
>>53009199
Eh, never really saw the appeal of Frenzy, sorry.

>>53009281
Huh?
>>
>>53009337
I mean the last sentence is bullshit, not the first. People just aren't hired that way.
>>
>>53009281
Literally, who are you quoting?

>>53008735
Neat idea, honestly don't think it would be too OP if you removed the second ability, or replaced it with something a little better.
>>
File: Curse of the Black Spot.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of the Black Spot.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>53009337
I was trying it out as it's a mechanic that could work with pirates.
>>
>>53009458
>Literally, who are you quoting?
Something from the original post, in this case a snippet of text from custom_card.png
>>
>>52970512
>Each player's life total becomes equal to what it was at the start of the turn. Each player draws cards or places cards from his or her hand on the bottom of his or her library until he or she has the same number of cards in hand he or she had at the start of the turn. Tap all permanents that were tapped at the start of this turn, and untap all permanents that were untapped at the start of this turn. End the turn. The turn player gains an extra turn after this one.
>>
>>52983494
>Untap X target lands
>Clone a creature

High Tide loves Adapting Command
>>
>>53010384
If you evaluate cards based on their interaction with blatantly broken cards, then yeah, the results will be broken.

Adapting command works well in ramp decks, that's kind of the idea. It's mediocre in most other decks as a result.
>>
>>53008187
Why would I ever play the creature half when I'm getting 2 gold tokens?
>>
File: Catscape.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Catscape.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
Yes, it's stupid. But is it balanced?
>>
>>53010486
Wasn't complaining or saying it's broken. High Tide is one of my favorite decks.
>>
>>53011562
I mean, yeah probably. Thing is though, discarding cards is the most not bant thing imaginable.
>>
File: Alzad Electro-Monarch.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alzad Electro-Monarch.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Don't die on me, thread
>>
>>53013119
Oh, neat. A dude that can potentially turn little thopters and servos into lightning bolts? Good shit.
>>
>>53013119
Doesn't feel very blue. Which is okay, as UR has its own distinct color identity and you don't necessarily need completely separate "blue" and "red" components. If you did want to make it feel a bit bluer, though, you could add prowess. Plays well with your current overall design, too.
>>
>>53013430
Thanks, glad you like the concept.

>>53013544
Prowess might also make it less OP. Depends on the set he's printed in of course, but when the previous guy commented I realized that in the context of Kaladesh being able to bolt face in exchange for some servos could be really crazy.
>>
File: Angelo Bend Angle Man.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Angelo Bend Angle Man.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>53013119
Seems pretty cool, though I do worry slightly about the sac ability going out of control with no mana cost. And the U in the cost just seems like it's there for EDH.
>>
File: 1431322021883.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1431322021883.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>53013623
He might be easily breakable with prowess. Maybe say "Whenever you cast a spell with mana cost 2 or greater, Al'zad gets +2/+0 until end of turn.

Unrelated to that, I actually really want to make a OCdonutsteel set based on Kaladesh. I really, really loved that block and I would like to build a similar set based on the concepts of kaladesh.
>>
>>53013774
>>53013119
Better yet, why not instead make him have prowess, make the sacrifice ability cost 2/R, and turn him into a 1/3 instead? That way he has to play defensively in case of bolts and can't abuse the sacrifice mechanic for a cheap win.
>>
File: Condensed Essence.png (221KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Condensed Essence.png
221KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53013774
>Set similar to Kaladesh
Go for it, anon. I started making an Egypt-based set right before Wizards announced Amonkhet, but our final products ended up looking quite different.
>>
>>53013891
It's just hard to find card art though, since most of the art of that type of aesthetic comes from Wizards.

Do you have any links to decent card art samples of that type?
>>
File: RU01 Exors Champion.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RU01 Exors Champion.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>53013879
Do you need to specify the "instead of any other types" bit? Love the concept.
>>53014226
I'm not sure what you mean by "that type" anon. Could you be more specific?
>>
File: Jimmy Olsen5.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy Olsen5.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
Jimmy Olsen again. This time I'm trying to capture that weird time in the Silver Age where he seemed to have a different power every week.

>>53014226
Art is secondary, focus on mechanics first. We can help you with mechanics, not so much with art.
>>
>>53014315
"that type" as in the "Kaladesh aesthetic". Lots of banded metals, automated machines, wisps and bends in the local nature scenes, etc.
>>
>>53014315
Seems pretty cool. Though I feel like without Prowess you could easily make a case for this being mono-Black. Oh, and maybe specify nonland in the trigger as well, since you can't play lands with this.
>>
>>53014369
>Art is secondary, focus on mechanics first

Okey dokey, I can do that. I'm gonna brainstorm for a little bit, so I'll make a post in a little while about my thoughts for neat mechanics.
>>
>>53014412
Cool. For help on set-building, look in the OP for the PasteBin with links to design articles by Wizards.
>>
>>53014391
Casting noncreature stuff from graveyards is pretty blue. Black dabbles more in the creature side of graveyard theft.
>Include nonland
I did originally, but it made the spacing really ugly. I'll mess with the wording and see if I can fit it in.
>>53014379
Wait, are you wanting to do a set with similar themes to Kaladesh, or basically a Return to Shadows of Battle for Kaladesh?
>>
>>53014494
>Return to Shadows of Battle for Kaladesh?
You forgot "Scars of". Hmm, Phyrexia vs. Kaladesh? Could be an interesting Crisis crossover. Well, Phyrexia vs. anything would be interesting really.

>Casting noncreature stuff from graveyards is pretty blue. Black dabbles more in the creature side of graveyard theft.
Yeah, it does focus heavily on the creature side, but it does do stuff with other types as well. Yawgmoth's Will for one. But yeah, it is more Blue than Black.
>>
>>52996740
I think I could either limit this to artifact creatures or make it one artifact creature and one non-creature artifact. After someone mentioned this idea, I tried to make my own card because it's brilliant and I landed on it being really weird if there's no specification for what artifacts you can use. I think the card I landed on was mashing together non-creature artifacts, but based on what you've said in this thread about this guy I think he needs to make creatures so.
>>
>>53014619
>I could
I would
>>
>>53014494
A similar set to kaladesh. Artifact-friendly, dense art, and a decent amount of variety.

Think of it like !notKaladesh by !notWizardsoftheCoast, or Champions of Scars of New Shadows for Battle of the Return to Kaladesh Restored
>>
>>53014619
I was actually thinking of streamlining it. I think I'll restrict it to an artifact and a creature. And maybe see if I can have it look at cards in graveyards.
>>
File: Chronicler of Beyonds.jpg (66KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicler of Beyonds.jpg
66KB, 752x523px
I have a feeling that something about transforming fucks up the exile condition but im not sure
>>
>>53014695
My design exiled two cards from a graveyard and you mashed the two together like Mimeoplasm, but mine was ur and I didn't feel like sussing out the rules text so I never finished it.
>>
File: Griffin Nestling.jpg (87KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Griffin Nestling.jpg
87KB, 752x523px
>>53014725
How do you plan on getting the thing out of exile?
>>
>>53014763
Not that anon, but you blink it ya dip. Unless he's got some kind of exile shenanigans going on in his set. I like your card by the way, seems balanced.
>>
>>53014725
"If ~ was cast from exile, it enters the battlefield transformed." like >>53014763

And "When ~ enters the battlefield from exile, transform it.", like Flayer of the Hatebound.

The first one lets you cast it from exile like red's impulse draw. The second lets you flicker it.
>>
File: Sorin Dhampir.png (208KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sorin Dhampir.png
208KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53014725
Maybe the rules text could be "When ~ enters the battlefield from exile, transform it." from Flayer of the Hatebound., with "When" like a normal enters the battlefield effect since it doesn't counter other things. Doesn't work exactly the same (that text would let you exile from your hand or something then put it on the battlefield somehow and trigger it) but I think it's close enough. I think the main way will still be blinking it.

Speaking of, I feel like this card needs some ability to exile itself. I don't really like that it needs other cards. That's probably the point but I don't love it. It's pretty narrow. Maybe to make it not too easy, give it a mana cost or dependant on something the opponent does (maybe "Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may exile it, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control" as a pseudo-Kira type protection).
>>
>>53014763
I don't like suspend but that is an excellent use of it.
>>
>>53014412
For art, also check the OP; there are tons of links to image sites there. ArtStation is probably the best one.

>>53014907
Seems fine to me. WotC would probably print it at rare though.
>>
>>53014907
I kinda despise the flavor, sorry, but combining two classic creatures is kinda neat.
>>
File: Murder Knight.jpg (76KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Murder Knight.jpg
76KB, 752x523px
>>53014954
Thanks, man. I did a whole exile/time counters matter block around suspend and vanishing with cards like this a while back.
>>
>>53015158
seems like you wouldn't suspend this card much
>>
>>53015220
Unless you want four birds next turn instead of maybe some birds eventually.
>>
>>53015158
I just wonder if there's a way to do the "goes away for a while to signify time passing" thing better than Suspend. I really don't like it. I like Vanishing but you know how wizards is about downside mechanics.
>>
File: CU04 Griffin Egg.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CU04 Griffin Egg.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>53015444
I did Vanishing too. I'm a fan of both. I'm also a fan of Griffins.
>>
File: RG04 Riftborne Wildling.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RG04 Riftborne Wildling.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
I had fun with Vanishing. I'd like to go back and polish this block eventually.
>>
File: Ley Finder.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ley Finder.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53015664
That's a slick design, anon. I like it. Green caring about artifacts is a bit odd, though.
>>
>>53015700
Eh, green can "care" about artifacts if the setting calls for it. I don't know about that setting but I think it works with that design anyway. I could see a Kaladesh card that made artifacts tap for G
>>
File: 0RR09 Open the Breach.jpg (98KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
0RR09 Open the Breach.jpg
98KB, 752x523px
>>53015724
Not saying it's a dealbreaker, just that it's odd enough to note. I agree with you; context is very important.
>>
Hey, its the !notKaladesh guy again, I promised in >>53014412 that I would brainstorm some mechanics so here goes.

>Galvanize
Makes a permanent of the defined type also an artifact until end of turn. For example, a creature could have "2: Galvanize ~" to turn it into an artifact creature. Then, clauses could be added such as "As long as ~ is an artifact, do X" to make the effect work on its own.
>Discharge X
Remove X counters of a single type from a permanent to create an effect. If a creature has Discharge 3, that means a player would have to remove 3 counters of a type in order to make something occur. The only problem I see is with the -1/-1 counters from Amonkhet, where players could easily abuse Discharge.
>Innovate
A pseudo-keyword, which activates when you cast a non-permanent spell. If you cast an innovate spell, the "innovate" clause only activates if no other cards of the same name are in your graveyard. For example, a spell with innovate could deal two damage, but if another card with the same name isn't already in your graveyard, it gets an extra effect. That way it could add value to "exile graveyard" effects and allow for some interesting spell effects.
>Weld
Attaches an effect to a permanent so long as the card which "welded" it exists. Think of what Quicksmith Rebel and Spy did in Aether Revolt. For example, if a sample card Welded another artifact, it would likely say "Target artifact has 'T: do something' As long as you control ~". This could work with Galvanize since you can briefly turn a permanent into an artifact then weld it to add an effect to it.
>Research X
To research, you reveal the top card of your library. You may put that card into your hand or graveyard. Repeat the process X times or until you draw a card. I suppose this one adds "excitement" to card drawing and allows you to either put high value cards in your hand or toss useless ones.

>>53015798
I feel like this could be easily broken with Proliferate.
>>
>>53015863
Galvanize reminds me of a Phyrexian mechanic I saw that I really loved. It was a creature mechanic. Some variation of Compleat (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it. It's an artifact in addition to its other types as long as it has a -1/-1 counter on it.). It helped increase artifact count while still maintaining enough color balance. I really love it. I wish I could remember where I saw it. I had a similar mechanic only it entered with +1/+1 counter(s) and lost all abilities since it was a Muraganda mechanic.
>>
File: RR07 Flash Fission.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RR07 Flash Fission.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>53015863
>I feel like this could be easily broken with Proliferate.
Proliferating up to five counters might actually be more mana-intensive than just using the card's inherent ability to add counters. The damage on the transformed side only hits creatures, as well, so I doubt it'd be a problem.
>Galvanize
Seems limited and overly self-synergystic at first glance.
>Discharge X
Again, seems very limited.
>Innovate
So, "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that doesn't share a name with a card in a graveyard, [EFFECT]"? This seems, again, limited. It has potential, though. I'd consider nixing the non-permanent requirement.
>Weld
I could see it as a solid ability word. I like this one.
>Research
Scry that lets you draw as well? I think this one needs some work, as it's likely too powerful to be keyworded as-is.
>>
File: Tundra Raider.png (280KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tundra Raider.png
280KB, 375x523px
>>53015863
>Galvanize
An odd mechanic because it doesn't do anything on its own.
>Discharge
How does this work exactly? Does it remove counters from other creatures/permanents? I assume this is some kind of ETB thing that would play a bit like Kicker.
>Innovate
Does not play well at common, even if you include things like Delve, because it becomes a forced build around.
>Weld
Would this mechanically work like Soulbond or would it work like "T: target thing gets ability as long as you control this thing"?
>Research
Woah. Hmm. This would be a very narrow thing because having this all over the place is going to create way too much card filtering. It's stronger than Scry because you can use it to seed your yard, and don't have to ever draw anything you don't want.
>>
>>53016034
>>Innovate
>Does not play well at common, even if you include things like Delve, because it becomes a forced build around.
Not that guy, but I don't quite understand. Presumably it would have a baseline decent effect, but get a boost the first time you cast it. it shouldn't disrupt limited as far as I understand. I like the idea on paper but getting a boost the first time you do something feels weird. Though maybe in context, like the suggested graveyard exile synergy, it would make more sense. I can't explain why it feels strange. I guess because it's like most of the time a game of magic is about building up to something. With this you'd get the stronger version first, and the card will usually be weaker later. That dynamic seems fine on paper but thinking about it in practice it seems strange. Maybe it's an interesting spike mechanic?
>>
>>53016034
Additional combat steps aren't super common, so this ability feels almost like trinket text.
>>53016288
I see Innovate promoting card diversity within decks. I imagine an environment with strong Innovate cards would combine different one-of cards that fulfilled similar roles into a single deck.
>>
>>53015967
>>53016021
>>53016034
Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna try and explain my process for each mechanic

>Galvanize
In an artifact setting, I feel like Galvanize makes a lot of sense. The idea is that you turn your permanents into artifacts then clauses like "As long as ~ is an artifact, it gets +1/+1" or whatever to make Galvanizing your permanents seem worthwhile. I like this one but I feel like I'd have to be careful about going overboard and breaking it.
>Discharge X
I guess you can call it Kicker with counters. I like the idea of using counters but I don't know if Discharge is the best way to go about it.

What about Threshold with counters? "So long as ~ has X or more counters of (type), effect" might seem unique.

>Weld
I think this one is the best mechanic, in front of Galvanize. Lots of room to develop. However, I think if this were to be a mechanic, Galvanize should be as well for maximum welding potential.

>Research
I didn't think about the graveyard stuff too. Especially since this is such a "Blue" mechanic, I don't think it'll turn out well.

This section is for two potential Innovate options.

>Refine
"When you cast this spell, if there is another instant or sorcery in your graveyard with the same converted mana cost, effect".

If that doesn't work,

>Innovate 2
"When you cast this spell, if there are no instant or sorcery cards with the same converted mana cost as ~, effect."
>>
>>53016325
>combine different one-of cards that fulfilled similar roles into a single deck.
This is kind what I thought (alternatively, the tempo or advantage or whatever generated from the innovating version of the spell would be enough to justify playing multiples-- this is what I meant about making an interesting spike mechanic since it's a weird dynamic where you can weigh your options), but the thing is, how many cards with similar enough abilities all constructed playable can there in one or two sets?
>>
>>53016347
I THINK the quicksmith ability (which would basically be Weld as far as I'm understanding) could be extended to a whole mechanic. But I'm not sure. I would personally want to limit it to tap abilities (like the Quicksmiths) just for simplicity's sake. But how many of those can you really do? I'm okay with functional reprints of Rebel and Spy so I'm assuming you can still do those effects. I dunno.
>>
File: Craghowl Cleaver.png (285KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Craghowl Cleaver.png
285KB, 375x523px
>>53016288
I consider it the same way you do but think it'd put off most players who want the full effect of their spells and not to be "penalized" for having cast a copy of something beforehand. It's a player mentality thing. It'd also be a bit silly at higher rarities in a draft because you'll probably only have the one copy of the card so why bother with the additional text?

>>53016325
>trinket text
It basically is.

>>53016347
>Galvanize
There's nothing wrong with making a self-contained set; just be aware that people are going to cry "parasitism" more often than you might want to hear. Turning things into artifacts has some synergy with other mechanics like Affinity, so you can't really call it true parasitism, but a lot of people will ask "why bother with Galvanize? Why not just have it get +1+1 when you pay the mana?" It's going to be a polarizing mechanic.
>Threshold with counters
That could be interesting, but difficult to balance in the grand scheme of the game.
>Weld
Assuming it's just "for as long as you control ~" like in your example, yeah, I see potential.
>Refine
Hm. Might be a bit too broad, but we'd have to see.
>Innovate 2
Kind of the same level of limited in my mind, except in a different way. Now you're "penalized" for playing spells of the same CMC. I realize it's not actually a penalty, but again, it's a player mentality thing. Of course, I'm just one voice, so take this with a grain of salt.
>>
>>53016667
I mean, I guess I could see an issue the same way wizards finds some things. Like i think itd be an issue if outsider playtesting showed people wouldnt play more than one copy in their limited deck even if the card was perfectly good without being innovated which would mess up play patterns. I dunno.
>>
>>53016347
Ive been working on -1/-1 counter mechanic where the creature built up counters somehow, then removed them all at once for an effect or did zomething more for each counter. But i havenr quite figured it out yet. I do think your threshold mechanic idea is cool, but I think it requires the creatures to also all grow somehow.
>>
>>53015863
>>53016347
>Galvanize
Esper did it much cleaner by having them be artifact creatures by default. You don't need two abilities when you can get by with one.

>Discharge
It's functional, but not very exciting.

>Weld
The major problem is tracking what gets which bonus, leading to a clusterfuck of the physical board space.

>Innovate
This does nothing in limited. So in draft games, you either have cards that are arbitrarily more powerful than the others, or equally powerful but just get worse if you draft multiple.
>>
>>53016667
Cleave just leads to really messy combat math. Fine in a few cases, but should not be keyworded.
>>
>>53016900
My brain actually had to struggle a bit to understand what it was doing and the implication. Id probably do somehing (This creature can deal excess combat damage to a creature an opponent controls while attacking.) But that seems super powerful and is not quite the same deal.
>>
File: RM03 Ba of One and All.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM03 Ba of One and All.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Slowly working through rares.
>>
>>53016021
just make it into " you can cast that card"
>>
>>53016969
Why? That would make it substantially worse.
>>
>>53016900
>>53016942
Into the "it's shit" pile it goes, then.
>My brain actually had to struggle
Oh good, glad to hear it was not only bad but confusing.
>>
>>53015798
>Chronolossus
it spells "remove a counter" instead of "remove a time counter". why would you make it work with +1+1 counters too? it's counter intuitive.
5 time counters are definitely more than you ever want to use.

>open the breach
it's ok but not extremely inventive, you just have to pay mana. i guess it plays more interesting than it reads because you it asks you to basically skip 2 turns worth of casting.
>>
>>53017002
From what I can tell, it seems like you wanted trample but having the damage dealt to creatures instead of the player. Trample is already a mechanic thats kind of confusing to some new players.
>>
>>53016985
wouldn't it make it identical? all the other exiled cards are bound to be uncastable lands.
>>
>>53016943
Gigantomancer variant. It's alright. Perhaps raise the ability cost.
>>
>>52964902
I haven't played in years, but isn't this obscenely broken? Also, while fateful hour is interesting, shouldn't it have some kind of limitation - such as, "it only activates if there are no +1/+1 counters on it"?
>>
File: Adagio.png (238KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Adagio.png
238KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53016943
I noticed an older post with a similar creature. Is there any reason these cant just be angels? I feel like at this point "angel" just means "generally high end winged good aligned humanoid" more than any christian related symbolism in magic. Human Bird Spirit is just weird to me and spirits dont tend to take human as an additional race either. Leonin arent human cats and etc.
>>
File: sampler.jpg (354KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
sampler.jpg
354KB, 750x1046px
Made a few sample cards to showcase mechanics from !notKaladesh.

Masterwork Prodigy is an example of Galvanize and how other clauses can help it do something as an effect.

Iron Leige is an example of how other permanents can interact with Galvanized creatures and normal artifact creatures simultaneously.

Glowform artist is a simple example of Weld in action. I think I might be safe in adding abilities with mana costs or other actions.

The Refine card is obviously a very simple example but is a start for what could be a decent mechanic.

Counter threshold might have to wait as I figure out how I want to do it.
>>
File: CB05 Ba of Flickering Shadows.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CB05 Ba of Flickering Shadows.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>53017192
In Egyptian mythology, the Ba is an aspect of the soul, a form the human spirit takes after death. "The Bâ is an aspect of a person that the Egyptians believed would live after the body died, and it is sometimes depicted as a human-headed bird."

And so, Human Bird Spirit. They basically play a similar role to angels in my plane, but across all colors.
>>
File: Prophet of Cypha.png (239KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Prophet of Cypha.png
239KB, 375x523px
>>53017081
I appreciate dual-purpose spells like this. Auras need more love.

>>53017287
Where does the counter go for Iron Liege? Needs clarification I think. I'm not sure you need new rules text beyond what the Kaladesh cards already had for Weld. You could just make it an ability word. I'm not really sold on Refine. Also green caring about instants and sorceries is really off.
>>
>>53017423
As for iron leige: I meant to say "Other artifacts".

As for Weld, how would you word it? I'm trying to find a way to make it concise and precise.

As for refine, it's a very rough start. I might just replace it with counter threshold.
>>
>>53017423
Radiance is already a thing. Also, that ability should definitely not be common enough to keyword.
>>
>>53017468
I'd just do weld like

>Weld -- Target artifact has <ability> for as long as you control ~.

Basically what's already on Quicksmith Rebel but with the added flavor of an ability word.

>>53017469
I suppose "Radiant" being super close to "Radiance" is kind of sin-worthy. But why do you feel like removing abilities isn't a viable keyword? It's not like keywords have to show up on a ton of cards, and it can't do things to creatures it can't block, so it can't remove Flying or Skulk or solo block a Menace creature.
>>
>>53017524
I guess I wanted weld to be a keyword so I could include "Welded artifacts you control can do x" on other permanents that don't explicitly use Weld. I'll keep that in mind though.
>>
>>53017524
>But why do you feel like removing abilities isn't a viable keyword?
This is just my opinion, mind you. But I feel like it commits the twin sins of being complex and being narrow. Losing all abilities is more complex than it sounds at first glance. Additionally, what can really be done with it, beyond making combat vanilla? How would you incorporate it into a set? What would a rare with Radiant look like? I feel like it's shallow, like it just doesn't have a ton of design space.
>>
>>53017583
That's fair; hadn't considered that utility.
>>
File: Solemnis.png (250KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Solemnis.png
250KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53017583
>"Welded artifacts you control can do x" on other permanents that don't explicitly use Weld.
That's mad parasitic, my man.
>>
>>53017618
>twin sins
Oh good, two for one.

You know what? I couldn't come up with an adequate rare card in just a few minutes with Radiant on it, so you must be right. I guess I should go back to being sick of trying; it's a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>>53017647
Well maybe not explicitly in that language, but I feel like having that extra flexibility could let a few cards get creative.
>>
File: Oracle of Scales.png (301KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oracle of Scales.png
301KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Devine Astrogation.png (278KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Devine Astrogation.png
278KB, 375x523px
>>
File: God-Pharaohs Request.png (277KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
God-Pharaohs Request.png
277KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53017002
Just make it so it only works on attack.
>>
>>53017894
Having you lose life seems odd, though I guess in a weird way it makes saccing a large creature somewhat attractive to the opponent, which is usually the problem with these cards. Don't see the need for U or R though.

>>53017843
Eh, seems OK. I get what you're going for with 3, 2, 1, but I would've used the ordering from Read the Bones.

>>53017807
Seems pretty cool. Cost seems a bit high for how much time and effort it takes to get Dragons out of it, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>53019941
>>53017807
Drake haven value?

>use ability for 1
>discard a card, drake haven trigger
>pay 1 for additional drake

Pretty good deal in my opinion
>>
File: Flame begets Flame.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flame begets Flame.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>53016943
I like it. Though it's strange that you can target opp's creatures as well. I'm usually a fan of flexibility but it looks like a flavour break here.

>>53017287
>Galvanize
Not sure if this is worth it. It doesn't save a lot of space in the first place and if most cards are like this you could just combine the activated ability and the "as long as" ability.
>Weld
Again I don't know if this really needs to be a keyword. I concur with >>53017423 about making it an ability word.
>Refine
This seems super specific to the point of being useless. If the refine part is just making the next artifact cheaper I could see it maybe working, but the caring about CMC of cards in graveyard is very strange.

>>53017423
The name doesn't match the ability here, I think. It also doesn't seem like something you want on that many things so making it a keyword may not be necessary.

>>53017643
Just make it "Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each card you've drawn this turn." Only functionally different on the turn you play it and makes it less of a trigger-fest.

>>53017843
Did you mean "Divine"? I feel like this does just slightly too little for a 3 mana cantrip, though I'm not sure what to change.

>>53017894
The other anon is right, just because a card references a UBR character doesn't mean the card itself should be those colors as well. Make it 1BB if you want it to be hard to cast, though personally I think 2B is fine. Good card otherwise.
>>
File: retry.jpg (344KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
retry.jpg
344KB, 750x1046px
So here's what I modified for my mechanics.

>Weld

Nothing major, I just attempted to utilize the keyworded version to get results.

>Galvanize

It now untaps the creature if it isn't an artifact, then it becomes an artifact until end of turn. The clause prevents people from abusing the untap but gives the player extra incentive to Galvanize their creatures.

Maybe I could make double sided cards that use Galvanize in some way instead of it being a set-in-stone ability?

>Refine

Totally in the works. Not going to make new cards until I figure out other things.
>>
>>53022958
Also, two additional notes.

Machine shop should say "Creatures and welded artifacts."

Galvanize is currently pretty darn wordy. Maybe it could see some change.
>>
>>53023016
You need to start with commons, man. If your mechanics don't work at common, then they don't work.
>>
File: Contraptions by Rigger guy.jpg (663KB, 2256x1570px) Image search: [Google]
Contraptions by Rigger guy.jpg
663KB, 2256x1570px
>>53022958
Machine Shop reminded me a bit of these cards another anon did quite a while ago. Hopefully these give you some ideas.
>>
>>53023043
Okay, I'll try a few concepts when I get home.
>>
File: Clay Form.png (252KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Clay Form.png
252KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53023990
Kinda neat, cycling through your library like this. But I think I'd rather it be in Blue, and add some restriction to the flicker, otherwise you're free to just go through your entire library until you get something you want to Manifest/Morph. Oh, and whose control does the card return to? Your control, or its owner's? Oh, I also just realized that the activated ability needs to be reworded to account for the fact that the controller of the aura doesn't have to be the controller of the enchanted creature. Maybe
>Enchanted creature has "Sacrifice this creature: [...]
>>
>>53023990
In addition to >>53024064, the card also doesn't currently work as the Aura kills itself via SBA before the flicker resolves.
>>
>>53023990
Change the flicker to
"{1}, Exile Clay Form, Sacrifice enchanted creature: Return Clay Form to the battlefield at the end of turn."

Makes it so your opponents cant just naturalize it in response to the trigger, and you can't do it infinitely.
>>
>>53019568
Originally had it that way but changed it to include blocking so colors other than red could use it more easily. Guess I should have stuck with my gut.
>>
File: RR01 Warrior of Whirling Sands.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RR01 Warrior of Whirling Sands.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Still slowly working through rares.
>>
>>53025227
Eh, it's basically a Trample variant, so I'd be fine putting it in Black and Green as well.
>>
>>53025291
Pretty solid. No real complaints, nifty and a limited bomb.
>>
>>53025291
This is really frigging strong. I wonder how it will playtest.
>>
File: Garfield Lynns Firefly5.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Garfield Lynns Firefly5.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Firefly. He burns things, including people. Nothing much else to say, he's just a pyromaniac with a jetpack.

>>53025291
Seems pretty cool. Though seeing the first ability, I'm curious, do you have anything that gives a creature a P/T boost on entry to combo with Ambush?
>>
File: CM01 Ahralian Soulstoker.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CM01 Ahralian Soulstoker.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>53025465
>I'm curious, do you have anything that gives a creature a P/T boost on entry to combo with Ambush?
Indeed I do.
>Firefly
The haste seems a bit oppressive, since it allows you to blow something up immediately.
>>
File: Glaring Spotlight.1.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Glaring Spotlight.1.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
Oh, near bump limit. What should the next thread's edition be?

Hmm, I actually don't have Hexproof on any of the Batfam. I might have to remedy that.
>>
>>53025558
Ah, should've been more specific. I don't mean that, I mean something like Ambuscade Shaman, which is designed to work with Dash. But your card's nice too.

>Firefly
OK, sounds fair. Same costs?
>>
>>53025569
>Ambuscade Shaman
No, I don't, but that is a good idea. I'll see if I can fit something similar in at rare.
>Card
Nice flavor on the reprint.
>Same costs on Firefly?
I'd say so.
>Next edition?
After our Ambuscade Shaman discussion, maybe something about mechanical synergy?
>>
File: Omega Beam2.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Omega Beam2.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
New Omega Beam. Only real change was to cost.

>>53025839
>After our Ambuscade Shaman discussion, maybe something about mechanical synergy?
"Mechanical Synergy edition"? I feel like that's kinda vague. Eh, it's not like the edition is that important anyway.
>>
>>53026099
>I feel like that's kinda vague.
Add some specificity if you so desire. Maybe one of those parenthetical statements explaining the edition that you add on occasion.
>Omega Beam
I like this much better as a BW card.
>>
>>53026289
Actually, I have to go in a sec. If you want to make the next thread, go for it.
>>
New thread, this way!

>>53027242

>>53027242

>>53027242

>>53027242

>>53027242
>>
>>53017345
Not the guy you're responding to, but couldn't they still just be spirits?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.