[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Times you fucked up as GM. >GM a 5e campaign >level 8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: 20170321_220205.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_220205.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Times you fucked up as GM.

>GM a 5e campaign
>level 8 party
>combat feels a bit easy since everyone deals a ton of damage
>make an encounter an old enemy they encountered that is capanle of posession
>think 3 of these enemies was okay
>throw a few skeletons that are able to make 4 grapple attempts to round it off
>thought this was fair and balanced
>team wipe, one PC gets possessed and wanders off into the wood
>realize ive made a huge mistake
>>
File: 132149230415.jpg (89KB, 679x657px) Image search: [Google]
132149230415.jpg
89KB, 679x657px
>>52958527
>Ops and Tactics campaign
>players get mission to hunt chimera inna woods
>Chimera are pretty tough, use watered down lion stats which are really strong
>players are level 1
>but they have a mage
>Mage with enchant ability
>should be fine
>they manage to get the drop on the first one
>burst of machine gun fire
>7.62x39 rips this bitch apart
>dies instantly
>"Oh fuck" I say to myself
>throw another one at them
>they get first initative
>blow it away almost instantly (again)
>turns out the mage's enchants were more powerful than I thought
>ramp it up a bit and give two a chance to ambush them
>first round one rolls up from behind and crits the party's grenadier
>Grenadier is still standing, but only barely
>the rest of the party mop them up
>do EXP calculations real quick
>realize they just jumped from level 1 to level 5 from this encounter
>mfw
>>
>>52958527
>Times you fucked up as GM.

>First time as DM
>Make a "river" campaign, where the PC's will inherit a small barge, and run supplies up and down the river (picture the Amazon), with swamps and pirates/robbers, crocs, snakes, etc.
>Players kept fucking rolling spot checks....omg.......over and over, without any need
>"I'm going to stand on the roof of the sleeping quarters, and see if I see anything" ........Rolls quickly......20, do I see anything interesting
>NO. Nothing.
>"Nothing dm? nothing at all? With a 20? wow, really?"
>I didn't want to tell them "Stop fucking rolling till I ask for it", because nOObishness.
>Give in and say "Uh--ya, you see a cave cut into the bank of the river....and something glittering in there.
>PC's rush over......there were 5 of them, all lv 1
>I figured a lv 4 constrictor snake sounded "fair"....and since there were 5 pc's, I tossed 5 of those large snakes at them.
>2 rounds later, TPK
>Everyone's looking at me like......WTF?
>I said "You didn't have to go check that cave, I told you you saw large snakes guys"
>>
>>52960033
>>"Nothing dm? nothing at all? With a 20? wow, really?"
>"Well to the left you see your impending death, to the front you see the rest of the fucking campaign if you want to stop being retarded and just continue on."
>>
>>52960452
I know, I know.

Big mistake on my part, not keeping them on track, and letting them goad me into shit.

nOOb mistake.
>>
>>52960532
I'm not really criticizing you as much as them. I understand the value of some random shit once in a while, but they should be reminded that discretion is the better part of valor.
>>
File: 1490900183370.png (510KB, 497x501px) Image search: [Google]
1490900183370.png
510KB, 497x501px
>Ran a Pathfinder game up to level 20

That was a mistake I will never do again.

Nice Gourai. Getting mine from the post office tomorrow.
>>
>>52958527
Apparently I did when I did what I did as I explained in this thread >>52955921
>>
File: 20170407_201812.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_201812.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>52960770
Thanks man, she's tons of fun.
>>
A few memorable mistakes (albeit some fun ones) I've made:

>Allowing a player to play a Young Obsidian Dragon in a party of 5 level 11s in 5e.
>Ended up somewhat balanced, since the player couldn't optimize well and I didn't let it have character levels.

>Letting my problem player invite "friends" who also caused problems that were relatively tame in comparison.

>Set up encounter with 12 cultists and two cult fanatics
>Party is 4 level 10s
>Give the 12 cultists two spellcaster levels and access to magic missile and give the two bigger cultists six spellcaster levels and access to counterspell
>12 Cultists have 9 hp each, so it should be balanced
>Encounter ensues
>Cultists barrage a >200 HP barbarian to death (no saving throws) within 2 rounds while party mage's fireballs are counterspelled
>Whoops

>Four level 6 players in a dungeon with 8 allied CR 1/8 NPC guards one of which was secretly a CR 9 kitsune cleric with ulterior motives and a CR 1 medic
>Plan Chain Devil ambush encounter for thriller
>Party enters the room, notices hanging man, makes no perception or investigation checks despite doing so extensively in the previous room
>Chain Devil gets perfect ambush, killing 3 guards and the medic who was supposed to be an important quest NPC
>Oh dear
>Remove Chain Devil's damage resistance to physical weapons
>Have chain's extra damage deal less damage than normal
>Rogue ends up being restrained for entire combat due to bad rolls against chains
>Party keeps wanting to attack the chains instead of the one controlling them
>Take control of the character whose player never showed up to actually stay on point
>Party barely survives
>Notice Chain Devil is CR 11, not CR 8
>tfw you almost tpk your party because you misread CRs when planning

There are many more, though these are the simplest ones I can think of.
>>
>Let a friend play a Gnoll PC
>Gnoll ends up eating the whole team

Fucking vorefags
>>
I trusted a dog.

I do not like dogs. I do not like dogs. I do not like dogs. I do not like dogs. I do not like dogs.
>>
File: 1376361119086.jpg (169KB, 1023x781px) Image search: [Google]
1376361119086.jpg
169KB, 1023x781px
>3.5 game
>start at level 6
>new player wants to be a half dragon/lycanthrope
>say ok. feel bad he will only get one class level.
>Give him 1 Dragon racial hit dice
I don't knew when but i just know this is going to bite me in the ass so fucking hard down the road
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.