[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The main difference between tabletop RPG's and film and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

The main difference between tabletop RPG's and film and movies is the ability to see things that the main character can't. The audience gets a third person view to the scenes happening elsewhere. The most important of these is the "What is the bad guy doing right now?" scenes. These are very important to making the bad guy feel like a real villain and truly ominous. Audiences love to hate and it's one of the more entertaining parts of film. For instance take the Joker scene where he slams a pencil into a mobster's face.

But these types of scenes don't translate to tabletop very well since they are usually short lived and happen away from the PC's. I've been trying for a year to come up with a way of producing these scenes in tabletop form. My most recent attempt was writing up small short stories about side scenes that the antagonist is present for. These usually ended up being around 2000 words or so and I would send them to my players to read before the sessions. One bad thing about this is it was basically required reading just to play the sessions, as the stories that lay therein were typically a lead up to the session that was happening that week. Another con of it was that I'm not necessarily a good writer when it comes to describing things on paper. I'm a good actor and a good improviser, but not a good writer in particular.

What do you do /tg/? How do I incorporate backstory for the antagonist and have him included in the story without having him SHOW UP in person? I can only do the "oh he was just here, he fucked everything up and I'll explain it to you in detail!" routine so many times. Having a direct scene that the players could interact with would be the best, but that would mean the players would have to be the bad guy's underlings or some sort of Elite 4 that the protagonists would have to end up fighting eventually. Unless they changed sides, but I can't keep doing that every campaign.
>>
File: 1367558242303.png (13KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
1367558242303.png
13KB, 426x364px
I apologize for bumping my own thread so early, but I just wanted to state that I have to go to bed now but will be checking the thread in the morning in about 8 hours. If it's still up I'll respond to posts then. Sorry for the inconvenience but I honestly can't stay up any longer and work my shift tomorrow. Goodnight /tg/.
>>
>>52941567
>>52941540
I think saying its THE main difference is a biy much. Films are planned and (usually) have a rigid structure with very little coming "off the cuff". In addition we only get to see the best cuts and takes. Where in ttrpgs its all one take and the "audience" has an actual say in what happens.

Regardless, I think having one way to do it isn't to show the group what bbeg is doing RIGHT NOW, but rather some note/passage of what they did. Could be notes they took in wizard school, tales of younger days from a past friend, or if you want to be blunt, a burning village. Of course all that is more to show how they got to where they are, and doesnt give you much in the way of time sensitive stuffs.

Thinking on it, part of the issue might be fantasy settings not having the "tech" to get information around fast enough for it to be a tool a GM can reliably use without being very silly (patron god just shows the party whats up, but is powerless to intervene or just teleport the party there). Maybe in a more modern setting you could do news casts, but even then jt sounds like it would mostly be "look at the burning village".
>>
>>52941902
Basically what this anon said. Instead of giving a page of exposition, have the BBEG's actions evident. Have players see traces of their handiwork, or talk to witnesses.

>Players beat up mooks, questioning for intel on BBEG
>"Y-you don't understand! He's INSANE! J-jeff tried to quit, a-and... the doctors said they'd never seen balls that far up someone's body before!"

IE there's a clear scene that happened, which the players can now piece out. Here it's more immediate to their characters though, not metagame knowledge, and they have the added engagement of finding out those little stories themselves.
>>
>>52941540

You're wrong from the first sentence.

There are a lot of differences between tabletops and movies, but the most important, defining one which comes before all the others is that it's an interactive medium vs a static one. That the players are involved and can actively alter events rather than merely acting as a static audience.
>>
>>52941540
Read books told from a first person view.
>>
What does /tg/ think of side sessions or interludes with players taking up roles of various agents within alternate POVs, such as townsfolk amidst the BBEG's attacks.

Then later on the PCs stumble across evidence that they themselves saw from another perspective (i.e. alt characters' bodies, discarded items, etc.)
>>
There are a lot of good points here already, but this is something I have thought about as well.

I once tried doing something where I would write out a scene depicting something related to the up coming session and post it to the group a few days before we played. The idea was to generate excitement for the coming game, as well as to show some things happening out in the world not directly related to the PCs.

For example, one scene was a string of events just before a shipwreck, with the following session starting out with the players being tasked to investigate a strange wreck off the coast.

I think it worked out okay, though at times it was hard to come up with ideas for things that kept people interested without spoiling the coming session too much. Anyway, you could possibly do the same thing showing some villainous action.
>>
>>52943687
I've done it before a few times. It was boring for the players who knew their characters would get no character development
>>
>>52943687
Sounds cool, but could get meta-game-y really easily if your group isnt on board.
>>
>>52943687
I love doing it and my players always seem to enjoy it, generally I like to stick them in the shoes of a team with some sort of mission. I've done things like a corp. sec. team investigating a lead they couldn't and squad of the antagonist's hunting them. I think the key was that clear laser focus on the goal and getting the player into running with the concept of their temporary character, depending on my audience I've pre-written the personalities or even got them to do it on the night.
>>
>>52941540
>>52943687

We do that. I give them cards with the guys stats (usually Brawns, Brains, Social), a portrait, a couple traits and goals, and make them roleplay the scene. "You're the mayor of the recently conquered town - you're the evil general. Action"
They love that shit, and sometimes they even end up adding some neat elements to the story.

On a sidenote, it allows for individual character development. You can have a scene focused on a single PC, with the other players doing the NPCs instead of just sitting at the table and waiting for their characters to appear.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.