[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Magic allow you to build a deck never seen before with your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1231312.png (185KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
1231312.png
185KB, 500x644px
Does Magic allow you to build a deck never seen before with your own creativity and win with it?

Games like Hearthstone, the meta is figured out 2 weeks later and if you aren't playing the 6-7 net decks available, you are losing.

I really miss the feeling of not having to look up net decks and just using my deck building skills to create something cool and win a local or even regional with.
>>
To further clarify, I'm not bashing net decks, every card game obviously has those. But with how old MtG is, I'm wondering if there's a good chance someone can make a deck or variation of a deck not seen before and win something significant with it.
>>
>>52938438
If you're willing to play different magic formats I think Commander/EDH would be exactly what you're looking for.
>>
It's format dependant. If you want your deck tk have the best chance then brewing standard / modern is the way to go. Not to say that legacy / vintage are "figured out" but occasionally peoples weird per decks put up showing and become "real" decks like Lantern Control for instance.
>>
In every TCG the meta is figured out in a matter of weeks, that's just the nature of the beast.
>>
>>52938438
Drafting in limited with people who haven't looked up the optimal choices, aka your friends, can still be fun.

Once a month 6 of us get together and buy dollar store mixed jank bullshit packs and have a good time. They're mixed enough to be sort of familiar to our nostalgia but not consistent enough for anyone to predict what we're going to get.
>>
>>52938438
Magic the gathering's base rules don't allow for that much flexibility anymore.

It's like Chess, very few tactics still left to invent
>>
>>52940264
>base rules
What are you on about? The game pieces you play with are what actually make the game, and each of those game pieces comes with several lines of text.
>>
It's impossible.

First off your donut steel homebrew is likely less original than you think it is. Card pools are more narrow than you think they are once you remove limited chaff, bad cards, cards not available in the format you are playing in, and cards that you cannot/don't want to acquire due to price, personal dislike, or a hipsterish obsession with avoiding a popular cards.

Then you have to realize that that subconsciously you are drawn to themes that the designers clearly have intended and advertised. You and thousands of other people had the same idea independently, and minus some money issues or slight differences of taste your decks are going to look similar.

The last nail in the coffin involves card and metagame evaluation. Net decks are net decks for a reason. They are well tuned to do what they want to do in a consistent and efficient manner. You have pros that team up and crank out these decks. It's very likely your sweet original deck was tested by them at some point and was either discarded or warped into something else that's less "creative" but more likely to win. If you're one of these pros or at least operate close to their level this is where you're likely to find creativity that works, but considering this is a bitch thread about net decks I very much doubt that's the case.
>>
>>52938438
Hearthstone is just a magic clone with lands removed, OP. What do you think?
>>
>>52940696

Magic is a lot more complicated than Hearthstone even with lands removed.
>>
>>52938438
It is possible to build decks never seen before and win with them, but you can't. I can't either. Only very seasoned and skilled players can do that.
>>
>>52940467
Fag.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.