[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's beginning to dawn on me that chess is a game you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

It's beginning to dawn on me that chess is a game you can't just learn through playing it. As far as I can tell it's like trying to take a spanish test and not speaking any spanish. But at the same time, you still have to play it to get better.

I just want to be able to get to a point where I can think of and execute a strategy and not spaz when something goes wrong.

Anyone have any tips or guides for rank beginners to get?
>>
Make sure your pieces don't block each other. Open up the pawns so that bishops and the queen have as far to spread as possible, and try not to move in their way with your knights, since you'll quickly cause a blockade.

C2-C4 is a good opening move for this, followed by knight B1-C3. (From there I like to move out with the queen and the knight, but you shouldn't do that because it's a terrible move and I'm a reckless faggot.)

You could also start with E2-E4 to get both the queen and a bishop out, but I personally favor knights so I don't do that too often.

NEVER start with F2-F4.
>>
>>52936529
>Make sure your pieces don't block each other.

Easily where I struggle the most.
>>
>>52936450
First don't trust anyone writing moves like this guy
>>52936529
>>
>>52936450
Misdirect the opponent with your eyes. Focus on non-critical areas, and he will too.

Long-range bishop sniping is hilarious, and often unexpected.

Forcing your opponent to choose between two pieces is the acme of excellent chess playing. A subset of this: always keep the crux of your offense defended against trading.

Know which of your pieces are critical, and don't be afraid to sacrifice those that aren't for a better position.
>>
>>52937320
>misdirect the opponent with you eyes
The most ridiculous advice I've ever heard.

>long range bishop sniping
>>
>>52937320
Also:

Gauge your opponent as you play. See what pieces mean the most to them, and chase them around the board. Strike at the king when least expected.

Keeping pressure on the king is a great way to improve your position.

>>52937367
It's why I don't play online. If you're staring at a part of the board, you bet your ass they're going to try and figure out what the fuck is going on with it. Try it.

What's wrong with hitting critical areas with your bishop?

Do you actually have anything to contribute, or are you just going to shitpost?
>>
>>52937398
I am actually typing a post but your post was just too ridiculous to pass on.

>what's wrong with hitting critical area with your bishop
Wtf is this retarded sentence
>>
>>52937429
Just keep typing your post and learn to grow a thicker skin. You don't need to take every bait.
>>
>>52936450
Learn your openings so you don't get fucked in 6 moves like Anand. Even the top-most players make blunders
>>
>>52936450
I've only used one book but it helped a lot, and was structured this way

First learn the usual mates
Then the tactical patterns (pin, x-ray, double check, forks)
Then usual endgames (pawns and king vs king, with rooks, ...)
Then strategic elements (pawn structure, good bishop, bishop pair, opening files, strong square)
Then finally openings
>>
>>52937512
>>52936450
Also O'kelly de galway's book is pretty popular
>>
>>52936450
Maybe it is just me being weird but I like develloping plans on an empty board and then tackling my own plans, which helped me a lot in planning my moves, although it was a bit awkward to explain to the family what I was doing
>>
>>52937449
It wasn't your run off the mill bait
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.