[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get the players to hate a BBEG? Just make them revile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1492796649834.png (329KB, 630x475px) Image search: [Google]
1492796649834.png
329KB, 630x475px
How do you get the players to hate a BBEG? Just make them revile him to the point where they seek him out not because of a quest or epic prophecy, but because FUCK THAT GUY

hard mode: no rape or fucking with the PC's families
>>
>not fucking with families

I agree rape is cheap hate, but family makes it personal.
>>
>>52921705
1.Let BBEG steal credit for things PC did.
2.Have BBEG around as over-powered GMPC for a while (use with caution when combined with No 1.).
3.Hard mode: Make players care about NPC and then have BBEG kill them. Ultra hard mode: no lolis.
>>
>>52921705
Well, if they're on /tg/, you could start autistically targeting threads that use the word BBEG, replying with:

>BBEG

Ugh.

And then arguing about it until everyone on the board has taken up a side about whether they care or not, but are all definitely sick of anyone bringing it up.

Actually, that's a pretty good point... don't be evil, be annoying. That fosters more hate.
>>
>>52921705
Have the bad guy suddenly take all control out of the PCs hands just when they're getting that "we did it" high
>>
>>52921774
So raping the family makes it cheaply personal?
>>
My BBEG was a trusted ally of one of my players, who basically took her in after her family had been killed, trained her, and gave her a place to stay.

Turns out he just wanted her because she was trained as a child by a Sage, was the one behind the murder of her family, and she had the best chance of being successfully turned into a living nuke. He never cared about her. She was a weapon, and he was just an excellent actor.

She doesn't know that yet, though.
>>
>Players are all members of a society that protects THE ONE THING
>This is their ONE JOB
>BBEG steals THE ONE THING
>THE ONE THING turns out to be a magic item that corrupts but strengthens somebody
>Quest
>>
File: dubwub.gif (748KB, 380x280px) Image search: [Google]
dubwub.gif
748KB, 380x280px
>>52922222
Quints of truth
>>
>>52921705
Steal their stuff
Shit talk them

Do these two things to make 100% of players want to kill them
>>
>>52921705
It's pretty easy to get players to hate someone, easiest way is steal some of their shit. All I had to do to make my players hate the current villain was to wrongfully or for some of them rightfully imprison them all.
>>
>>52921705

Never remember who the PCs are.

Just....no fucking recollection. Each time. Climactic fights, dramatic retreats on the part of the PCs, deaths of characters, beloved NPCs, the destruction of cities, duels in the middle of a massed battle.

And this fucker doesn't have the decency to remember you.

Pissed my players off right good until one finally got a good enough hit in that the BBEG remembered who he was.
>>
File: Villian_Won_Now_What.jpg (49KB, 364x301px) Image search: [Google]
Villian_Won_Now_What.jpg
49KB, 364x301px
>>52921705
>How do you get the players to hate a BBEG?
It is easy if you are already into a campaign. Simply have the bad guy interfere with the PCs goal of the moment. Is the party hoping to get their hands on a known powerful artifact? The bad guy is either there or already stole it.

The hard part is managing to build up hatred slowly from the beginning of a game. I would have the PCs hear of the bad guy in passing as a troublesome noble who is making an uproar for some reason or another, later the party hears he mustered an alliance of other nobles and will plunge the country(s) into war, finally have the bad guy's forces be marching through where the PCs are and have them witness the horrors this evil person is inflicting across the lands.

An interesting extra twist could be to have the big bad possess a good motive like allowing the common folk more freedom at the expense of tearing apart the country for a few decades. If you are going that route make sure it follows whatever tone you have established up to that point though or it might be too jarring for the players.
>>
>>52921705
Ideas for make'n it personal.
1, Make it personal by making it practical. give the PCs a really cool item, run them through like 2 small things give them a taste of how good it is, then have the DM steal it. Extra points if the single item can be used by the whole team at once, IE team has power rings and the item the BBEG steals is the lantern of power.
2, make it personal by making it intimate. Have the PC's work towards state boosts of some kind, then, have the BBEG steal those stats. A good way to do this is have the PC's roll 1D6 and have a stat reduced by 4 if its not a recommended stat and 2 if it is. They'll hate that fucker for life if he leaves them crippled.
3, make it personal by asking the PLAYERS what he took/ruined. Maybe he stole their thunder like >>52921809 said, or maybe he frame them for murder. Who knows. But if the Players make it up it sticks better.
>>
>>52922222
TRUTH.
>>
Enslave the PCs for a session or so. They'll virulently hate that fucker. Worked for my Dragon BBEG
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.