[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about the last time a great hero battled a powerful evil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Tell me about the last time a great hero battled a powerful evil in your setting. How did it go down?
>>
we're doing it rn nigga
>>
>>52911951
>party gets a deal with a hag to either do some fetch quest for it or be haunted and randomly attacked
>we all agree to do fetch quest
>right when we arrive at some abandoned village where we were directed to get said item on the the players changes his mind
>and is fucking able to convince the others except me "hey, let's just go back and kill them" (5 hags total)
>i try to argue back that we arent strong enough
>everyone else decides to leave me
>i decide to explore village on my own to find item
>DM decides that my solo quest will continue after the others (6 of us total and 5 going back to fight hags) finish their fight
FFW
>they all die and blame me since i wasnt there, and they couldnt even take out 1 hag
>>
>>52911951
>party knows a powerful undead spirit is sealed in a local necromancer's hold
>Batman preptime commences
>we seal the walls of the place so it can't escape
>buff ourselves so it's most dangerous abilities are either nullified or far less deadly
>have blessed inscriptions woven into our arms and armor
>anoint ourselves and the area in sacred oils to weaken it
>burn braziers of holy incense to cloud it's vision
>take position
Open the vault...
>it comes screaming out in a wrathful haze
>Paladin charges it
>screams ZANTETSUKEN
>cuts the thing in half in a single blow
>I throw a hallowed scripture of exorcism into sacred flames, dispelling the spirit permanently
>the walls crack and nearly shatter from the force of it
>we look at each other, grinning
>"We have the tools; we have talent!"
>""It's Altbier time!"
>we go and grab some ale
>even the paladin has a draught
>we then reflect that we really, REALLY went overboard
>smile at our DM as he grumbles about us
>buy the DM a beer
>its all good
>>
File: me fifty years later.jpg (37KB, 1052x800px) Image search: [Google]
me fifty years later.jpg
37KB, 1052x800px
>>52911951
>Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil
>But a foolish Samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me
>Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law
>Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku

>mfw he's fucking immortal now
>>
The last "great hero defeating a powerful evil" technically happened when the king of the campaign's biggest kingdom resealed his lich ancestor back under the crown city's throne.

Before that, it was the father of the current dwarf king. He killed the Red Dragon of the Mountains after slaying 50 dragonborn and losing his shins to their breath attacks. It's said that he's laying dead in the hall for courageous dwaven warriors who served their kindgom, but there are whispers that he learned to pretend how to be dead during the war to fool the dragonborn torturing him long enough to figure out an escape plan.
>>
>>52916444
So which is it?
>>
The party fought an evil disease controlling druid.

>Warrior charged in and was instantly obliterated with a spell that worked a little too well on him.
>Preist casts call lightning when the druid is too close to him and fries himself.
>Druid is softened up enough to capture at least so the remaining party member decides to do that.
>He doesn't realise how terrible an idea that was yet.

So not well basically.
>>
>>52911951
A powerful god clashed with his corrupted half brother (a demi god) and his evil uncle, the god of pestilence and darkness.
The battle ended in a stalemate, with the Evil sides' minions being mostly trapped in mazes and dungeons, or turned neutral. Each party's power was basically nullified, with shards of the strongest god (their father)'s head scattered between them and throughout the land
(Ripe for adventurers to come through and loot and kill it all!)
>>
>>52911951

One died, one got magically crippled, one badly injured and later trapped inside a magical vortex inside of a volcano, one decided that this entire thing is fucked and is trying to punch a hole in reality so she can get out and then seal it behind her so no-one else can ever get out, and the last was badly traumatized and so is mind-puppeting untold numbers of people as a shield between him and the world.

The players need to deal with their bullshit and then do the job right this time, because the first group didn't actually kill the powerful evil, just made him decide that leaving home wasn't worth it until his plan is 100% done.
>>
I am the DM for a campaign where this will happen next session (on Saturday). Hopefully thread will be alive so I can post my results.

I guess I will refresh the situation in my mind a bit by typing it out.

The party was sent to a village to investigate a series of murders. Upon arriving, the group shaman summoned a spirit to engage with the soul of the most recently deceased, who died shortly before they arrived that night. The yougn girl's spirit described her terrible end, then a demon showed up before the shaman could come out of his trance and admonished him to flee before it and its master again felt the gnaw of their ancient hunger.

Anyway, this is all because of a vampire count suppressing his presence with a seal that has grown too weak to control his hunger as the influence of chaos grows throughout the world. He successfully convinced the party that a new cult of extremist half-elves in the forest were the demon's masters.

They arrived to find the half-elves guarding a lake, an ancient site of their progenitors the elves that acts as a gate to the underworld. Shaman character led a few others in a spirit journey through the dreamscape to the village, where they find the count dreaming of murder.

Now they're on the way back to see if they can put an end to him. I think the encounter will probably end with the count escaping though, he is pretty OP.
>>
Last time that happened, a guy literally punched his way into godhood. So yeah.
>>
File: 1427196740050.jpg (522KB, 1100x1755px) Image search: [Google]
1427196740050.jpg
522KB, 1100x1755px
>>52911951
Elf batman saved the elf realm (and surrounding lands by extension) from fiend-blooded elves who had infiltrated it to sow weakness and war. These elves were bred into creation by powerful witches who were in turn made from a powerful witch-serpent (a snake dragon with magic powers). The fiend elves caused civil war among the elves and incited war against nearby evil powers, who then invaded the elf lands, but were repulsed by a capable young warrior elf who rose up to lead his people after the king had fallen. Meanwhile, elf batman worked behind the scenes against these fiend elves and their minions, aided by a titan who wore an elf shape. Just before this story started, a powerful order of human paladins assaulted a flying castle held by fiend-elves who were plotting to sink the surrounding lands into war and summon fiends; they died in their assault, but their actions created an opening for a single elf hero to learn what was going on and finish what they started.

Didn't turn out so well for elf batman (an elf from a small frontier village who traveled the elf realms, adventuring by himself and among several groups of elf adventurers, eventually adopting an alter ego), because his love (elf princess of a noble merchant family) was taken and murdered by the field elves before he could save her, his pegasus friend that he saved from captivity also died, as did the titan (though in a pretty sweet epic battle against powerful demons). One of his long-time nemesi, a powerful evil dragon, who he later ended up working alongside to face this greater threat, *also* died (which was actually a sad event for him, because the dragon died heroically fighting powerful fiends in a very tense situation).

1/2
>>
>>52921163
Elf batman limit-breaked after finding his dead love, going berserk on the floating castle of the fiend-elves, slaying scores of them. History never learned of any of this; it only knows the story of the heroic young elf king who rallied his people; elf batman's real persona only gets a side-note mention as one of the elf kings friends. The elf realms are now ruled by a good, competent king who has won the loyalty of his people, and the realms exhibit no signs of fiendish influence. Only the king and perhaps a few other elves of skill and power knew who the real hero was (or knew of his persona, anyway), and the king, if you somehow got him to speak of it, would tell you that he does not know the fate of elf batman.
>>
>>52911951

About 3,500 thousands of years ago, the fierce orc warrior known as Gor the Great united the warring Orcish clans under a single banner. Once unified, Gor lead his armies against the tyrannical Dragon King who had enslaved many elves and humans. Gor's forces were able to defeat the armies of the Dragon King and Gor himself slew the evil wyrm after 3 days of hard fighting.

With this action, Gor not only paved the way for an Orcish nation, but also won the good will of elves and men alike. The Dragon King's death brought about an era of peace and prosperity which lasted roughly 2,000 years.
>>
I don't have the details worked out but I see it like this
>BBEG
>12 heroes unite to fight BBEG
>BBEG ascends to godhood
>12 heroes fuck it up somehow
>world gets nuked
>12 heroes get fucked up and turned into lesser god-like beings
>12 heroes banish BBEG from material plane
>12 heroes become the new pantheon of the world
BBEG is now manipulating a PC into releasing him from his prison bla blah blah
>>
>>52913127
I'd have the Hags resurrect then as half-ghouls things and make them go do shit for them as slaves. You never want bad decisions to end in death if you can avoid it, instead giving players terrible consequences can make a game a lot more interesting.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.