[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - 5th Edition D&D General Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 476
Thread images: 44

5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/ >>52900945

What are some things you wish your current leveled character could tell your 1st level character? Edition
>>
File: ladymaria.png (491KB, 752x752px) Image search: [Google]
ladymaria.png
491KB, 752x752px
What class is she /5eg/?
>>
>>52907739
Pact of blade warlock
>>
>>52907723
Reckless Attack makes up for Strength. Constitution is more important.

Also why the fuck did you dump Wisdom but have 12 intelligence you faggot.
>>
>>52907723
Dont let the Warlock have the Serpent Staff. He will never use it past your initial Glasstaff encounter.

He will proceed to taunt the players OOC'ly, becoming confrontation when they ask him to use the Constriction from the Serpent Staff snake to hold the next 5 Wizard encounters you have. Claiming he doesn't want to play "Easy mode" even though his retarded-as-fuck choices causes 2 players to die, and one to leave the table.

Seriously man... if you have something that can immobilize a wizard and stop them from casting spells, why not use it? This faggot cries and bitches when we don't help him anymore.
>>
>>52907723
Don't roll for stats just take a array you'll have more fun.
>>
>>52907739
GOO warlock/eldritch knight fighter with booming blade and greenflame blade spam.
>>
Playing Horde of the Dragon Queen. I playing vegence paladin, swore his oath after his saw the cult slaves. Use poison, caltrops, will use dirty tactics, charge a mini big bads in the middle of their monologues. Reign in my parties murder hobboing. AM I doing it right?
>>
File: shunting_glaive.png (157KB, 335x397px) Image search: [Google]
shunting_glaive.png
157KB, 335x397px
I wonder if this is a bad idea.
>>
>>52907936
>Hit friend
>Teleport him
Yes its a bad idea
>>
>>52907936
>shunt
>dawn
brew is cloudy
>>
Which role would each mystic order fill in a party?
>>
>>52907840
Sounds like a personal problem.
>>
>>52907985
All of them, seeing how mystic only needs like one or two disciplines to function in their niche and then still gets half a dozen more to spare.

Mystic never should have been released outside of a Dark Sun setting book.
>>
>>52907723
Posting my shitty homebrew
>>
>>52907936
>hit enemy
>teleport him 60ft directly up
>he falls
>6d6 damage and prone
>>
>>52907831
>>52907856
Which invocations?
Dual wielding rapiers and wearing studded leather?
>>
Any tips for necromancer wizard to not be "that guy"?

What are some table etiquette for necromancer?
>>
File: -__-.png (87KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
-__-.png
87KB, 404x404px
>>52908476
Same etiquette as playing an evil-aligned character.

Don't fucking do it.

You're playing a cooperative team-based game, don't play the faggoty edgelord who uses dark magic and gets a batallion of paladins after the party, goddamn.
>>
>>52908476
>don't do anything obviously evil
>use enemy corpses for brief periods
>don't let non-party members see you cast
>ditch zombies/skeletons when entering town or disguise them with cloaks and say they're your servants/hirelings
>use plenty of Speak With Dead/anti-undead Necromancy that doesn't actually raise corpses to help party members
>>
>>52908476
>>52908499
Be Marcille

>I just so happen to know this forbidden magic
>I just studied it at the academy for purposes!
>I know it's wrong, but if I don't do this, everyone might die.
>mildly unconfident elf wizard who is usually hesitant

they'll love it
>>
>>52908476
Unless you're playing an evil-campaign (in which case you have much bigger problems to worry about), playing a Necromancer kinda makes you That Guy by default, sorry.
>>
>>52908551
Yeah, there's also a reason Marcille doesn't use that forbidden magic for 90% of the plot though, or even let the party know she has it... and even then, using it to save a life, the rest of her group is still super disturbed by it and it eventually ends up making things much much worse.

When something is usually flavored as "forbiddden" and "dark" and "evil", there's usually a fucking reason. This meme of "how do I use evil powers while being a good guy" needs to stop.
>>
>>52908476
Dispose responsibly of your skeletons when you leave the dungeon.
>>
File: Good necromancers.jpg (154KB, 891x603px) Image search: [Google]
Good necromancers.jpg
154KB, 891x603px
>>52908476
Don't.
>>
>everyone hates on Evil alignment character
>tfw everyone at my table loves when I play a Neutral Evil character who sees the party as his friends
>as in HIS
>as in while he wants to dominate the world and is generally selfish he takes personal offence to people hurting his property
>he views his friends as his property
>once bullied a group of bandits into obeying him using intimidation and feats of magic in order to trick them into assaulting a militia fortress to break a friend out of the cells, then used the confusion to help the party escape
>also had bonus property of slaughtering innocents in the name of his dark god via converting the bandits
Evil Warlocks can be friendly too guys
>>
>>52908476
Spells like Leomund’s Secret Chest to put some bones in and other then that only use them in dungeons and other places.

Murder them before leaving.
>>
>>52908622
You're a rare case of a good roleplayer of an evil character and a Not That Guy. There's not a lot of you around.
>>
have an edgy, stupid player. Guy has been playing for 3 months

>in fog
>I smash the ground as hard I can
>ok
>I want to use echolocation, what do I see?

>the Minotaur charges at you and -
> I paralyzingly palm
>you can't
>as a reaction
>you can't
>evasion then?
>did you even read your class, you are a warlock

>I want to make my eyes glow red with devils sight, make my cape flutter with presdigutation
>ok
>is it running away?
>no, the dragon is not afraid

>I want to channel divinity of my demon
>you are warlock
>yeah but this is cool, my demon is a god
>enough background retcons
>>
Are there rules for disarming magically trapped chests?
>>
Is TWF good for revised ranger? Or am I better off just going ranged or sword and board?
>>
>>52908707
Antimagic, dispel magic, telling the bard to just open it.
>>
>>52905300
>the problem with martials is that they suck out of combat
>How does one fix this?
You know that stuff that all the cool non-magical protagonists do in old adventure novels and movies, like climbing walls with their bare hands, kicking down doors, swinging through a window without killing themselves, making random people go "ooh this guy looks like he knows whats up", getting dread necromancers and shit to quake in rage, fear, and revulsion, jumping 10 feet straight up, running across a moving space-train, and cool action hero shit in general?

Let them do that without saying
>okay let me see an acrobatics check whose DC is high enough that you've got a 70% chance of failure and eating shit
>uh you kick the door but you didn't roll higher than a 21 so nothing happens now let the wizard cast knock because it's ridiculous that you could kick a door multiple times i mean we're not here so you can just roll by yourself all day dave

Even when it comes to social encounters, you shouldn't need gobs of Charisma to shine. Yeah, we all know about making Intimidation checks with Strength instead of Cha, but don't just think about rolls, think about the default feelings of NPCs towards the party. A Dwarf is liable to trust another Dwarf, even if he's not as Charismatic as the Human or Elf. Some of the most uncharismatic fuckers are trusted with authority, power, and influence just because they're tall or buff-looking. Ever seen a sports star give an interview or do a commercial? They're mostly awkward little shits, but everyone wants to suck their nuts anyway. 4% of men in the US are 6'2" or taller, while 30% of CEOs in the US are 6'2" or taller; it's not like having a few extra inches makes you good at business, but people THINK you are, so they're more willing to go along with it.
Being fucking ripped in the Str and Con categories is its own sort of Charisma.
>>
>>52908622
>hey guys the secret to playing a good evil character is to not play an evil character
>>
>>52908707
Rigging a rope and pulley above the chest and clamping it to the chest's lid so that you can safely open it from down the hall, around the corner, behind an overturned table like a true FightGyver.
>>
>>52908499
>>52908586
the meme that being evil automatically makes you opposed to the goals of the party needs to die
>>
>>52908792
Oh boy, another Evil apologist arguing that everything else needs to die. What a surprise!
>>
>>52908660
It shouldn't be hard.
I get to do plenty of evil things, all entirely selfish, it's just my evil selfish needs tend to coincide with my parties desires anyway.
Tyrant overtaxing peasants? Sure I'll help you guys murder him, we'll split his treasury equally, you can donate your shares I guess but don't expect me to buy you nice things with my share. I ended up using most of my share to revive one anyway
Evil Wizard causing trouble for small hamlet? Sure, my patron wants the heart of a powerful mage anyway.
Orcish Marauders terrorising the countryside? You mean the countryside with the farms? Hang on let me talk to the farmers first, just gotta sort something out. The something is protection money.
Cultist won't spill the beans? Distract the paladin I got this. DM is now uncomfortable letting me roleplay interrogation.
Evil Cult trying to start Armageddon? How the fuck am I supposed to rule the material plane if there is no material plane?
>>52908751
Doing good things doesn't make me not evil. Killing a zombie doesn't make me good, saving my party doesn't make me inherently good, and saving the world didn't make me good.
I don't have a way to control the zombie and it's an immediate threat, kill it. Evil can have loved ones, I care about my party. I live in the material plane and have declared it mine to rule, no destroying my stuff you fucking cultists.
Why is pragmatism such a hard concept for so many players? Why does evil always translate to card carrying villainy on the stupid axis of the alignment chart?
>>
>>52908548
>>52908551
>>52908606

thanks
>>
>>52908620
> implying you can create golem in 5e

>>52908559
> implying affable evil isn't a trope
>>
>evil a shit
We have had an evil character on our party from the start. And now another one is starting to lean on the evil side too.
>>
File: 1443552721642.jpg (540KB, 2163x2163px) Image search: [Google]
1443552721642.jpg
540KB, 2163x2163px
Hey DMs, share your world maps so I can steal them because I can't make my own.
>>
About to make my level 6 illusion wizard a BBEG, how can I make him a threat to about 5-7 level 1 players (about half of them have experience playing)? He's got speed boots and a fireball staff but that's about it.
>>
>DM thinks encumbrance is 'fun'
Just kill me
>>
Hey all, Glory of the Morning poster here, I'm still tweaking that entry to try to better balance it, in the meantime please tell me what you think of the below.

Divine Blast (8/Day) The avatar unleashes raw divine energy toward one creature that he can see within 170 feet of him. That target takes 59 (17d6) divine damage.
This is divine damage and cannot be resisted and immunity does not apply.

or

Mass Divine Blast (4/Day) The avatar unleashes raw divine energy that fills a 80 ft radius centred on a point of the avatar's choosing. Each creature in the radius takes 28 (8d8) divine damage.
This is divine damage and cannot be resisted and immunity does not apply.

Calculations are based on Lathander's divine rank of 17, halving it to calculate usage per day and for the mass divine blast.
>>
>>52908976
The avatar can make the divine energy look, sound, smell, and feel like anything it desires.
>>
>>52908882
Have him have like a once a day ability to make the illusions real like the ability you get later on.

If it's an illusion wizard and they know that they are gonna assume it's all illusions until the owlbear actually takes a bite out of one of them.
>>
>>52908660
That's the whole point of Lawful Evil (Doing evil to weasel your self through the twisted use of laws) and Neutral Evil (Doing evil only when it's convenient or necessary for your own goals).
>>
>>52908976
So, demigods with a divine rank of 5 will only be able to fire the divine blast salvo towards one creature that it can see within 50 feet of it, and that target takes 17 (5d6) divine damage. (2/Day).
>>
>>52908476
Don't listen to all the other guys saying being a necromancer is automatically That Gu. There is literally no alignment modifier on animate dead anymore, so go nuts. One of my favorite characters was a NG necromancer who used his minions to help people.

Townsfolk probably won't see it that way at first, so either leave your undead nice and far away from any villages you approach or publicly show the townsfolk how they can help.

One of my games, our paladin ran into a necromancer who was captain of the guard. All the guards were skeletons and zombies, and the town enjoyed good security even in the dangerous territory it was situated in. Said paladin, not being That Guy, had a pleasant conversation with the necromancer where he established that she really was a kind, good person--just one with a morbid interest in death.
>>
>>52908838
>affable evil
>trope
You have to go back
>>
>>52908739
You're basically just saying charisma shouldn't be it's own stat
>>
>>52908976
How fucking powerful are these avatars?
>>
>>52909263
Not him, but if Wisdom and Charisma can make attack rolls why can't Strength make a social check?
>>
>>52909069
And that's why my Neutral Evil Warlock is how the party responds to threats they can't deal with lawfully or goodly.
He isn't the strongest character but he is the scariest to the enemies.
I solidified him as Evil to the party when our first encounter was a bandits toll road and, in character, I told the bandits we wouldn't be paying the toll. They disagreed and I shrugged, told them fine, and proceeded to cast Hex and Eldritch Blast on the bandit dealing with us, repeating myself on the fact we wouldn't be paying the toll. DM had us roll initiative but I was allowed to roll intimidate and the bandit I hit was down from how much my blast had done and his buddies were sufficiently spooked. 1d10+1d6 split force/necrotic damage is apparently enough to deal with mook bandits if you roll average damage.
>>
>>52909011
I think I've heard of that. Do you know the name of that spell? That's pretty good.
>>
>>52909284

It can in very specific cases. Like in Fallout.
>>
>>52908963
Encumbrance is only really worth it if you start the campaign from 1st level using it, and if everyone agrees to it.
>>
My DM is letting me use an Illumian Binder in 5e after we tried converting them from 3.5. I'm not entirely sure how well it's going to work out especially since neither of us have any experience doing this as it's his first time DMing and he's only played twice and most of my experience is with 3.5. He says he's going to allow me to gain access to more than 2 sigils. Any thoughts?
>>
>>52909413
>virgins try to fuck on a trapeze
You may not be fucked, but everything is in place to go horribly wrong
>>
>>52909433
Sounds about right, should be fun at the least
>>
>>52909433
That's the best summary I've heard for the type of thing he's trying to do.
>>
What's the deal with black half-elves or gods forbid, black elves?
>>
>>52908838
>> implying you can create golem in 5e
There are manuals of golem creation.
>>
>>52909482
Proficiency in melanin?
>>
>>52909482

Do you mean drow or chocolate elves?
>>
>>52909537
No not drow, african-elves. I've noticed they have a tendency to steal things too, player or npc they don't care.
>>
>>52909590

Do you mean black people who play half-elves and elves?
>>
>>52908622
Why would he view his friends as property?

This is what I don't get. Just make an evil, terrible person. Having evil in your alignment doesn't mean you are a sociopath who wants world domination.

Make a guy with friends, a loved one, a pet, and have him converse like a normal person.

His issue is, that once given a moral option, he always picks the wrong one.

>this poor trader wants us to bring him back to the town, after we happened upon a group of goblin attackers. He promises a gift from his chest, already sitting on the wagon we are helping him transport.
>or we could just kill him and take everything?

He will likely be kept down by the party in 99% of the times this question pops up when he is around them. But that time where he has tracked down someone who hurt his loved ones/friends? He will torture them, and watch as animals slowly eat him alive.

If the party considers leaving some clearly evil and dangerous guy alive, he'll make sure to finish the job, because fuck that inconvenient conscience.

But he doesn't steal unless he strictly has to. He doesn't kill just because. And he doesn't backstab anybody, unless he is putting on an act to save his friends.
>>
>>52908963
I literally always use encumbarance, even when the GM tells us not to bother.

I get triggered by people carrying around 4 tons of items, including 20 full plate armour and pikes.
>>
>>52909709
I usually start campaigns at level 5, and somehow the first mission is just always full of bags of holding.
>>
>>52907936
Wouldn't resisting a teleportation effect be a charisma saving throw?
>>
>>52909663
There was actually in character bonding where they amused him so he likes them now, plus they helped him so he decided they're better off alive and with him than dead.
Most times he seems like a semi-neutral character, albeit a bit sarcastic. He doesn't go out of his way to be violent, he's usually the first to try diplomacy, he just also happens to choose the most evil options and when diplomacy fails him and violence is resorted to he is a firm believer in the use of excessive force as intimidation. Nothing makes a group of guards obey like flaying their boss in front of them. Lawful Good Fighter hates it but tends to keep the Paladin distracted for me as long as I don't do it front of them.
>>
File: IMAG0579.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0579.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
These are my ideas for the next area my pcs are headed into. Any contributions or criticisms?
>>
>>52910004
Did you seriously handwrite your notes in green text?

Consider taking the half-dragon template from the monster manual and applying it to NPC stat blocks instead of making actual fighters and sorcerers.

Divination spells would be a more likely way to scout than familiars.

Develop the idea of what the experiments on the dragon are. You might get some neat encounter ideas for something like an owlbear with a black dragon's breath.
>>
>>52910004
Your handwriting was a little hard to read at points.

I'd make the Wizard a hag coven instead cause swamps are usually their thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be a wizard. People could think they are human wizards with odd skin if they already heard about it.

Should be fine otherwise it's good at its core, just capture the asthetic and you should be all good.
>>
>>52909590
Only time I've ever heard of that is in porn.
>>
>>52908104
I stopped at 15 ft melee attacks.

Gj anon. It's truly shitty.
>>
>>52910180
10ft not 15ft.
>>
>>52910132
I did that long before I knew what greentext was. I was wondering what creature to base them off, I say fighters and sorcerors just for an idea of what they can do in combat. I had planned for divinations, but some familiars might be interesting too. As for the dragon I have no idea what the experiments could involve, maybe he wants it's eggs for his own dragonborn army, or maybe he's mixing dragons blood with other animals.

>>52910140
I could maybe swap the ogres out for hags. I'd already planned a little bit of the backstory for the wizard and I thought human was a good fit.
>>
>>52910212
Attacks already have 5ft range, homebrew increases by 10ft.

Not sure how you got 10 feet total range from this.
>>
>>52908976
Not even a saving throw?
>>
>>52910237
>maybe he's mixing dragons blood with other animals
This opens a lot of possibilities for a unique flavor. You can have creatures with acid breath, creatures that are immune to acid with the ability to swim in it, and/or a fear aura.

>I could maybe swap the ogres out for hags. I'd already planned a little bit of the backstory for the wizard and I thought human was a good fit.

Just have the hags lead the ogres. Hags need minions.
>>
>>52910273
So i messed up the wording...
I'll need to fix this shit.
>>
>>52910291
Yeah, should make things interesting for the party and that's a good idea, I'll use it.
>>
>>52908963

Encumbrance is awesome

It forces the players to do cost benefit analysis about the amount of gear they are carting around because it's trivially easy to get into a movement penalty even if you have relative high strength.

Without encumbrance everyone always carries everything and never runs out of consumables thus rendering survival into a useless skill.

If 5e is supposed to be retro without all the clunkiness then yes the PCs should have retainers or at least a mule carrying their extra gear.
>>
>>52909709
I don't mind the normal rules, but he uses the 5xstr rules
>>
>>52910381
My party bought a draft horse, but they always want more. Right now they're 3rd level and trying to steal an aurochs and an orc war wagon so they can carry around twice as much trivial shit
>>
>>52910381
>rendering survival into a useless skill.
It's already useless. Clerics just wave their hands and nobody needs to forage anything. Other casters whip out their wands and create shelter so no need for proper camps.
And everything can be tracked with magic so no need to look for footprints.
>>
>>52910381
Agree with everything you said, but managing the numbers without some kind of app is honestly the most tiresome shit out ther.
>>
>>52910381
>>52908963
My character is carrying a backpack with dragon bones, rations and writing supplies
>>
>>52910438

Instead of churning out shitty homebrew clases and races someone should develop a decent campaign upkeep app.

Call it Portable Accountant or something like that
>>
>>52909709
>Always roll for loot
>Here and there pick something they can actually use
>Twice rolled bag of holding

They think I'm fudging the rolls for loot when I'm not.
>>
>>52910539
>fudge a roll to help the fighter with a +1 warhammer instead of another wand.
>Forget that the adventure had a, guess what, a sunsword a bit later.

At least he is having fun.
>>
>>52910537
True that. If there's one thing tabletop should inherit from video games it's automated inventories.
>>
>>52910539
>rolling for loot

My players are all powergames, when they get magic items they just get enough [Magic Wristbands worth 25k gp] for everyone and I let them go look for stuff themselves.
>>
>>52910537

It's called excel.
>>
>>52910596
I was thinking about that.
I was thinking about making an excel file with all items' weight, so you could add and multiply them to know the total weight.
Then I remembered some people actually have talent for such things.
>>
>>52910596

>running excel spreadsheet on a tablet during your sessions

Even if you have o365 and something like a surface that can be a pain in the ass
>>
>>52910596
There are people who would know how to make that and that person is not me.
>>
>>52910638

forged anvil has this functionality

It's just that it's such a bloated spreadsheet at this point it can slow down even solid machines
>>
>>52910568
That's always the main thing, or Barb still doesn't have a magic weapon and there about to fight things that have resistance to non magic weapons. Then again with six players I can safely restrict it and let the dice fall where there are.

>>52910582
Luckily they are not, I'm the only one who could easily go into that territory since I browse here most days. I try to make it far more random and like I said every now and then throw them a bone if they haven't gotten anything but other stuff has been usable by everyone else.
>>
>>52910696
Well, beyond that incident it has been all random loot.
They made a pole out of staffs they couldn't use to poke things after somehow picking every curse on the way.
>>
>>52910723
You're saying they made a 10 foot pole out of magical staffs they don't need?
>>
>>52909508
> I can find any magic item I want at anytime!
Please go back to /pgf/
>>
>>52910911
Yes.
It started with the staff of the woodlands.
>>
File: 1456958920439.jpg (115KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456958920439.jpg
115KB, 413x395px
>>52910723
The mental image of that is great
>>
File: determination.jpg (5KB, 220x200px) Image search: [Google]
determination.jpg
5KB, 220x200px
>>52907723

>Human determination

Such a meme feat.
>>
So, how great is the latest wizard UA.
>>
File: 1491982362590.jpg (76KB, 653x590px) Image search: [Google]
1491982362590.jpg
76KB, 653x590px
>>52910949
Assuming there are golems in a world there are golem manuals, if there are golem manuals your wizard can go look for them if he wants to make golems.
Be it an ancient tomb, the golemancers tower or the magic corner store, that is up for the DM to decide, no?
>>
>>52911038
No, the manuals don't have to exist. The process could reside in the mind of one single long-lived wizard who became a lich, who happens to vehemently hate your character and refuses to ever teach you or anyone else how he made them.
>>
>>52911038
What? The manual is destroy when you create a golem.

Golem and manual can't exist together.
>>
>>52907723
https://pastebin.com/gMDS2u5j
So, any further comments or is what I got what I'm gonna get?
>>
>>52911129
Ok so the DM is just a huge cock who won't let his players complete their personal goals.

>>52911140
There can be more than one of each manual and golem, smartass.
>>
>>52911165
>Dragon-kin
>+1 Str or Con
>Sprout wings and gain a 30 ft movespeed.
>Gain disadvantage on all social interaction with non-winged kobolds.

why would you get disadvantage on interactions with non-winged kobolds? Shouldn't they honour you for being even closer to dragons than they are?
>>
>>52911195
>Ok so the DM is just a huge cock who won't let his players complete their personal goals.

Or the DM realizes minion-mancy is a red flag for "that guy" and also players saying "this magic item I want has to exist and I have to get it" is childish behavior.
>>
>>52907723
Isn't Dragon Wings for permaflight starting level 4 a huge gamechanger?

Permanent bypassing of environmental challenges at a level they should still be a challenge, and any ranged build is now completely safe from melee.
>>
>>52911276
Reminder that this whole conversation started with "You can't make golems in 5e, so making undead is A-okay!", so you're the childish faggot here.
>>
>>52911209

They're just mad jelly.
>>
>>52911305
>There are already races that start with flying on level 1, two of them. They are both banned at 90% tables.
Makes you think
>>
>>52911311
You're not arguing with the same person all the way through, faggot.

Go back to 3.PF if you want the player to control what loot he gets. There's a big difference between telling the DM something has to exist so he has to let you get it and asking a DM if he would accommodate your character's personal goals.

Players and DMs aren't supposed to be adversarial by default.
>>
>>52911209
Read volo's
>>
>>52911305
By level 4 there's plenty of ways to deal with flight, and dragonborn flight is shitty.
>>
Hi, I thought this would be the best place to ask, but does anyone have or know of any big MEGA dumps of ADnD (2e) pdfs? I especially love old Planescape and Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>52911446
OSRG
>>
>>52911446
Nope.
Not MEGA
https://dnd.rem.uz/
May you find what you search for, polite Anon.
>>
File: IMG_0006.jpg (116KB, 940x492px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0006.jpg
116KB, 940x492px
>>52908706
>the dragon is not afraid
>>
>>52911428
oh yeah there actually is a little bit about winged kobolds in there now that I look again. Must have forgotten about it.
>>
Am I ok playing a rogue with a race that doesn't start with dex? Worried that I'm losing damage, accuracy and AC
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>52911305
Man something flying in the air is an awfully nice target for archers and mages.
>>
>>52911600
You're fine, no need to 100% optimized so long as you're having fun
>>
>>52911600
You don't even need dex, just pick up a rapier and use strength.
>>
>>52911600
Multiclass w/ fighter put ASI on strength use medium armor or heavy
>>
>>52911342
two? The only one I can think of are those owl people.
>>
>>52911600
Be a mountain dwarf and use strength. You have medium armor proficiency and finesse weapons can still use strength.
>>
>>52911718
Tiefling Variant, Araakocra
>>
File: Giant Weasel.png (58KB, 560x387px) Image search: [Google]
Giant Weasel.png
58KB, 560x387px
Giant Weasel should be fine for a beast conclave right? I know its not the best of the choices, it might actually be the worst, but it won't be THAT much worse considering how the beast scales right?
>>
>>52911793
It has style points. I would allow it.
>>
File: 1445402629654.gif (3MB, 580x328px) Image search: [Google]
1445402629654.gif
3MB, 580x328px
>Playing Elemental Evil
>The DM is tailoring additional stuff for the party
>The druid can transform into a Green Dragon Wyrmling
>The zhentarim spy is getting promotions
>The dragonborn monk is getting divine visions and powers from Bahamut
>I just do my own secret warlock things, think the DM is leaving me in mystery, just how I prefer.
>Last session a hot school nurse shows up from my history
>Get a girlfriend instead of any mysterious patron stuff
T-thanks, DM.
>>
>>52911850
How was the nurse part of your backstory?
What role did she play'
>>
>>52912057
>How was the nurse part of your backstory?
Part of my backstory is being an ex-biology teacher from Waterdeep.
The nurse was not in it.
The DM just introduced her and our relationship as attracted colleagues. She handed us a quest hook in case we missed it, and insisted on coming with us.
I have no idea what she's capable of, I only know she is an alchemist. I think she might have some spells, too.
(Both characters are also oblivious to each others' interest)
>>
>>52911793
can you get a giant badger? or a normal badger?
any badger would be the best for a beast anything...

wrestle naked with your badger to train him and keep him on his toes, always ready to mutilate on your call. ride your badger into combat, throw your badger at your enemies and watch them squirm in pain, let the survivors run and tell stories about the hell badger from hell.
>>
>>52912130
sell her to your patron, it's the only road i see.
>>
>>52908620
>just create a golem

Any option which doesn't involve imprisoning a spirit into a corporeal prison and forcing them to obey your commands?
(Why do you think they go berserk. The spirit inside either goes mad, or gets freed enough to vent its hatred on everything around it.)
>>
>>52911793
Just ask your DM to let you use the wolf statblock and call it a giant weasel.
>>
>>52912180
Necromancy.
>>
File: Spelljammer_4016_2701.jpg (86KB, 598x397px) Image search: [Google]
Spelljammer_4016_2701.jpg
86KB, 598x397px
tell me about the wonders of your favorite not-forgotten realms setting. how would you like to see it being adapted for 5e, and what would you want the adaptation to expand into?
>>
>>52912214
You already posted it.
>>
>>52912214

BROWN LOLI-POPE
>>
Is sports gay?

I plan on doing blitz ball in never winter, basically gonna have it be like informal combat but limited to tackling and passing with attacks against the goalies AC and passes tackles are checks

Basically the party is going to be arriving in never winter by boat - and they will hear an announcer talking about a tournament with the city having parties and what not
>>
>>52912230
had to search this, sounds like superb taste.
>>
>>52912214
They're never going to touch Spelljammer ever again. It was poorly done the first time around, more time spent describing the settings that it connected to than the Spelljammer setting itself. Planescape was far better done, and god knows how they'd fuck it up worse than they already did with the Faction War and utter obliteration of the old Great Wheel.

I'm not really expecting anything good out of 5e writing anymore with how poorly Ravenloft was done.
>>
File: Nibenay Templar.png (18KB, 451x244px) Image search: [Google]
Nibenay Templar.png
18KB, 451x244px
>>52912230
Does 14/15 count as loli? Because you could go for Dark Sun with its child bride, priestess, and templar of Nibeney Siemhouk.
>>
>>52912352
nibenay did nothing wrong
>>
>>52911850
>The zhentarim spy is getting promotions
Sounds like you're getting some PROMOTIONS too, Anon. If you know what I mean.
>>
A couple of my coworkers who are cool to hang out with want to play some D&D, but they've never played before.

Would Sunless Citadel from the new Yawning Portal book a good adventure for new players? I'd be a little concerned about it being a dungeon crawl, since that seems kind of punishing if some of them aren't optimized for combat.
>>
/5eg/ does your party have a team name? I'm trying to think of one for my party but there is little we ALL have in common.
>>
>>52912214
BLOOD
WAR
Law v Chaos, Order v Freedom is much better storytelling than good v evil.
>>
>>52912626
My party 'killed' a ghost as their first adventure obstacle.
"The X Exorcists" where X was the location immediately stuck.
>>
>>52912600
>Sunless Citadel
Most of the early encounters can be diplomacy-ed away, just beware the trap.
>>
>>52912626
>BROWN LOLI-POPE
SKTelecom T1
Yeah, we love SlayerS_`BoxeR`
>>
>>52912695
>>BROWN LOLI-POPE
>SKTelecom T1
>Yeah, we love SlayerS_`BoxeR
You searched for her, didn't you?
>>52912626
Nope, though I'd like one.
>>
File: 4727134-0527813741-latest.jpg (35KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
4727134-0527813741-latest.jpg
35KB, 250x400px
It's me again, the Halloween Hobgoblin Necromancer. I was planning on petitioning my DM for a Broom of Flying and a Cloak of the Bat. What are some other spooky magic item I should look for? Also, how long does it take to make alchemist's fire with alchemy tools?
>>
>>52911370
>Players and DMs aren't supposed to be adversarial by default.
Then what is wrong with a level 1 wizard saying "I want to become the greatest golemancer" and the DM replying "
There are ancient golem tomes out there, good luck getting your hands on them lol"
>>
>>52912791
UA, because those are the only rules covering that, exactly a week per flask.
>>
>>52912930
So you're saying I should get a Igor underling who makes a supply for me as I'm adventuring?
>>
>>52912662
cosmic good and evil is just silly, isn't evil always good for evildoers?
chaos and law represent much better the design space for conflict.
>>
>>52912791
An alchemy jug.
>>
>>52912958
You should get several, and put them in a bag of holding with some air tanks.
>>
>>52912986
The 5e version of the Green Goblin's bag of tricks
>>
>>52912969
It doesn't strike me as particularly Halloweeny
>>
>DM kills my character
>Laughing about it with a big shit eating grin
>A couple sessions later DM is about to kill another players character
>Tells him like he is telling someone their dog has died
>>
>>52913058
Paint it like a punkin?
>>
>>52912230
Now I want to join an Eberron game.
>>
>>52913085
Maybe he though that you could handle it while the other player couldn't?
Or he just hates you.
>>
>>52912283

Spelljammer was problematic from the get go.

Instead of focusing on a closed system they decided to make it where each prime material was a seperate crystal sphere and there was this big metaplot with the scro and imperial elven navy despite none of the settings (FR, DL, GH) having much if any evidence of spelljammers.

Combine that with wonky helm rules where you had to turn one or more casters into a magical bus which made ship to ship combat sucky because who wants to fight without the spells of their biggest spellcaster.

I love aspects of the setting but the jokey TSRism like Space Hamsters and Elven Guyvers and Hippos in Space just make it next to mpossible to bring back without needing to reimagine it wholesale.
>>
>>52913058
>not going out all costumed up to get your halloween mayo
What kind of shit childhood did you have?
>>
>>52913115

Eberron is built around 3.x assumptions which don't make a ton of sense with the design aesthetics of 5e.

You can do a new Eberron setting with a low powered feel but it's never really going to measure up.

Technically speaking FR was a shitty choice for 5e as it's got way too much canon plus a fuck ton of stupid shit that explained the shifts from 1e-2e-3e-4e-5e.

GH probably would've been the optimal setting for 5e assuming you didn't go with something like Mystara but part of me just wants WotC to leave GH well enough alone since most of the additions to the GH since Wars have been shit.
>>
File: 1443358581139.jpg (726KB, 1088x1515px) Image search: [Google]
1443358581139.jpg
726KB, 1088x1515px
>>52913250
Yeah but lolis in an established setting.
>>
>>52913250
Eberron works fine in 5e with only a few alterations, from experience. And they're not major ones. The only difference between it and other D&D settings is that there are more low-powered mages around to craft things, and having uncommon items around for easy purchase doesn't hurt the system at all.
>>
>>52913270

Every setting has Halfling/Gnomes anon
>>
>>52913325
Unless if the dm hates the bad wrong fun and bans them
>>
>>52913250
GH Wars was also shit, desu. The setting hasn't had any real, official life to it in decades. Even Mystara and Red Steel.. even Masque of the Red Death got more than GH.
>>
>>52913289
I run a high magic campaign and every major city (capitals etc) have a magic shop with around 10 random magic items that change every month.
Doesn't really break anything, I just need to keep tabs on how much money I give the players and make sure they can't just buy +3 weapons and armor right at the start.
>>
File: spat.png (19KB, 823x225px) Image search: [Google]
spat.png
19KB, 823x225px
>>52908706
>You never let me do what I want to!
>>
>>52913368
halflings yes, gnomes no. gnomes suck and aren't even sexy
>>
>>52913368
What do you mean "bad wrong fun"
>>
>>52913372

I was including Wars in the shit category.

From the Ashes had some potential but honestly most of the setting changes between classic Greyhawk and from the ashes were shit that Lorraine Williams era TSR were responsible for.
>>
>>52913289
Artificers can make devices that can cast non-damaging cantrips as a 1st level caster once per hour. They are inexpensive enough to be common.

Is that enough to make Eberron?
>>
>>52913411

I know the >pathfinder but Golarion's gnomes are actually okay.

In general though there is really no need for both gnomes and hobbits in the same setting.

Just like there isn't a real need for goblins and kobolds and orcs and hobgoblins and bugbears and orogs.
>>
>>52913408
>women and doors
>>
>>52912626
One of my groups is called the Landsharks because of alliteration with the leader's assumed last name.

The other is called the MEGA Powers because we have characters who wear Randy Savage shades (in and out of character) and they want to make Eberron great again.
>>
>>52912903
Nothing, but you shouldn't tell a DM he has to include them for you.
>>
>>52913477
>In general though there is really no need for both gnomes and hobbits in the same setting.
>Just like there isn't a real need for goblins and kobolds and orcs and hobgoblins and bugbears and orogs.
wat
>>
File: sipslaugh.gif (961KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
sipslaugh.gif
961KB, 400x225px
>>52913491
>>52913408
>>
>>52913432
My man. Poor Greyhawk, it got nothing but shit for so long, despite some of the most iconic adventures, entities, and magic items being from there.
I trust 5e writers about as far as Williams, though. Ravenloft was total dogshit, and the other adventures (barring Out of the Abyss, which was OK, if clunky) have been pretty damn lame.
>>
>>52913435

Depends on if you exclude a handful of the non-combat cantrips as well.

For instance light is no big deal and message is kind of cool but Mending basically means that tons of craftsmen are out of work. I would avoid allowing a ton of low cost items that provide friends or guidance or resistance as well
>>
>>52913539
Why shouldn't you tell the DM what you want to see in the game?
>>
>>52913491
>>52913408
Wait it all makes sense now... Women can't operate doors. That's why men are supposed to hold the door open for them!
>>
>>52913427
badwrongfun is a deep philosophical concept deeply intertwined with roleplaying games, you can read more about it in the vastness of the interwebs.
>>
>>52913576
>Why shouldn't you tell the DM what you want to see in the game?

If you can't see the difference between that and

>you shouldn't tell a DM he has to include them for you

you can't be helped
>>
>>52913491
amazing.
>>
>>52913543

The rate of advancement in 5e means that there is substantial overlap between humanoids and there isn't as much of a need to have multiple races fill the same basic role.

Goblins and Kobolds fill the same basic low level garbage foes for levels 1-2

Orcs and Hobgoblins fill the same design space just with one being noble savages and the other being weird Japanese-Sparta copycats.

Bugbears and some version of Black Orcs cover the same role.

Most of the settings barely have decent human and humanoid societies detailed so in some ways it's preferable for a DM to only use the Goblinoids rather than Goblinoids + orcs + kobolds.
>>
Anyone got that settings straw poll handy?
>>
What do you do when you're planning a game and your players don't know what they want? I've been given fairly vague suggestions all-around, but I want to make something interesting.
>>
>>52913756
>your players don't know what they want?
what do you mean by this? like in a story sense, gameplay, loot?
>>
Any forgotten realms lore experts know why gold dwarves hate abhorations so much
>>
Is it only me or is Oathbreaker incredibly strong? The channel divinity features and auras are good enough, as well as the spells, but holy shit the dread lord 20lvl ability is insane. 4d10 per round as well as electable 3d10 damage? Compared to devotion's laughable 10dmg/r or ancient's 10heal/r. Is this intentional?
>>
>>52913775
They said they wanted to play D&D, so we looked into it. Then, when I asked what type of campaign they wanted, they told me "Adventuring! And Dungeon Crawling." and "We want a sandbox"

I've never run something like that in my life, so I'm having trouble coming up with material to populate a world with. I'm working from the One-Dungeon/One-Town method

I really like the idea of Eberron, but I don't want to stray too far from an "ordinary" fantasy setting for their sake
>>
I wish yuan-ti where a core race. I would like it if malisons/halfbloods where an option but even just the purebloods would be fine.
>>
>>52913824

The Gold Dorf kingdom used to be a vast underdark cavern under the surface Dark Elf Kingdom.

So rather than fighting goblins and orcs all the time they typically had to deal with underdark creatures.

Eventually the cavern collapsed and formed the great rift and now Gold Dorfs are more or less surface dwellers but the depth of the great rift means that abberrations are constantly coming from tunnels to the surface.

Orcs are also way less of a threat to the Southern lands unlike the sword Coast and the Vilhon reach area and the dalelands
>>
>>52913904
>I wish yuan-ti where a core race

Bait or a That Guy
>>
>>52913659

not every low level run has to be against goblins, goblins don't fill the same environmental roll that kobolds fill, and the same for every of the other examples you give. for that matter, there can't ever be more than one mob of any CR because they all fill the same design space. demons devils? same shit. horses and zebras? same shit, dogs and foxes? same shit. what is biodiversity? what is convergent evolution? what are ecological niches?

just stop.

kobolds >>>>>>>> goblins either way.
>>
>>52913861
it's pretty strong, hence why is not a PHB class option, and it explicitly says it's something only for the DM to use at his own risk.
>>
>>52913941
Thanks anon
>>
File: tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png (508KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ly08lhmdM41r2uzyoo1_1280.png
508KB, 853x1280px
>>52913904
i wish mind flayers were a core race...
>>
>>52913978
Oh, hey, how is going?
Found a new game yet?
>>
>playing a game in the forgotten realms

>DM tells me Forgotten realms wiki isnt canon

Gods I hope he thought i was looking at D&D wiki
>>
>>52913961
Do you think it would work as a villain?
>>
>>52914000
Well, it fucks up at some points, but it's a good resource. Have you read SCAG?
>>
>>52914029
It was basic gold dwarf lore i was ranting about. Not much to fuck up
>>
>>52914018
well, it is intended to work as a villain, so yeah.
>>
>>52913877
Ok, so what you do is just start making dungeons. Or finding them, or stealing them from adventures.
Start them off in some no-name town. Either they know through their backgrounds or they can talk to the people there about shit to do. Vaguely describe the theme and threat of a couple dungeons. They'll pick one, you run it, maybe offer them a reward so they come back to town then they go to the next place.
"Sandbox" and "dungeon crawling" just means they want to pick a dungeon to do out of a few options. I mean, don't make it so blatant, sell it you know, but it's mostly gonna come down to that. Then whatever dungeon they haven't visited yet out of your repitoir, up the monsters in it and use it later. And if you want, jigsaw together a plot out of the shit they've been doing after a few sessions if they want it.
>>
>>52913943

You probably are a lizard kobold fan instead of a proper dog kobold fan.

So needless to say you opinion is tainted by your heretical support of reptilian humanoids.
>>
>>52913942
I honestly don't get what makes yuan-ti any more that guy than drows.

Yuan-ti are great because in one race you have lamias, lizardman and regular humans with scales. the first two of which being races I'm quite fond of.
>>
>>52914000

FR canon is a moving target.

Some people try to incorporate all the fucked up changes over the various editions and others pretty much just use old grey box and GM created material.

Personally I prefer a FR that has less 2e and 3e and 4e stink on it so I kind of pick and choose what I consider canon.

I leave it to the autists on candlekeep to get worked up over all the details because frankly getting too wrapped up in canon makes playing a FR game next to impossible.
>>
>>52914082
Their starting racial abilities are bullshit is what's wrong with them. That and the lore behind them pigeonholes them into a set category in the mind of others even if you genuinely don't intend to play that.
>>
>>52914105
Like I stated later anon it was gold dwarf lore i was looking up and how they fight abhorations
>>
>>52914047
I second this guy

If you want coherency and tie it together maybe have it that these are missions given out by a guild or whatever who pay adventures to solve problems and if there is something they latch onto a bigger plot can grow out of that.
>>
File: 1282.gif (11KB, 52x64px) Image search: [Google]
1282.gif
11KB, 52x64px
>>52914048
dogbolds are pretty cute, and pure lizard kobolds are cool as well, but reptiliancanine kobolds are fucking disgusting.
>>
>>52914124
Ok, dug up a copy of Races of Faerûn (And of Powers).
Any questions?
>>
>>52914047
Thank you very much, anon. I guess I was just overcomplicating it.
>>
>>52914175
Nope, not that im going to bring a week old petty argument back up, i do like to keep old books on my phone
>>
>>52914116
well I agree with the first part total poison immunity is pretty powerful but them being totally immune to poison is weird in the first place. At best they'd just be immune to other yuan-ti poison so I say just make them resistant to poison and remove magic resistance and they'd be fine. Maybe give them something back in place of magic resistance.

>>52914048
I want to pet a dog kobold.
>>
File: kobold dog noses.png (459KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
kobold dog noses.png
459KB, 500x490px
>>52914173
Fuck you anon, 5e kobolds a best.
>>
>>52914218
Want me to mega it up?
>>
>>52914149
>if there is something they latch onto a bigger plot can grow out of that.
Also this. You're gonna say some descriptive sentence or add something you think is just a small little diversion and they're gonna latch on to that shit. When that happens, just run with it. They want to make their own story, so by golly they're fucking making it.

I'll give you am example from my campaign:
>party is hired as bodyguards for archaeologists visiting a politically contested island nation
>some of the island's residents offer their homes up as lodging for the scholars and party
>decide to make their little old lady host a somnambulist, to give em a little spook
>the party gets spooked as expected
>they can't fucking drop it, this is like their main goal now
>alright suckers, you think this is important, well it is now
>ends up turning into this whole thing where people are brainwashing parents into giving up their kids and stealing them to make them into cultists and blahdeblah bloobloo
Moral of the story is, you think you know what your party wants but they will let you know what they want and the best thing you can do is accommodate them.
>>
>>52914233
Why would anyone do that to the kobold in the middle bottom ;_;
>>
>>52914233
absolutely horrifying, what were they thinking.
>>
>>52914234
I found the pdf online it will do
>>
>>52914000
I ignore anything that prevents my players from enjoying classic D&D adventures, which is basically the 3e-4e transitions.
"Skullport soubds cook can we go there?"
"It was destroyed during the spellplague and is now a barely functioning ghost town"
>FUCK
>THAT
>>
File: kobold.jpg (290KB, 693x1100px) Image search: [Google]
kobold.jpg
290KB, 693x1100px
>>52914233

>wanting a lizard-dog-bold as a retainer instead of a proper pupper-bold

They'll work for scritches
>>
>>52914358
Read what goes on from that post anon i already clerified that it was nothig that retarded
>>
>>52914358
>soubds cook

Way to go spell check
>>
>>52914358
"It was fixed in The Second Sundering"
It happened and then was in-universe divinely retconed.
>>
>>52914379
Pfg please go and stay go
>>
>>52914233
Why would somebody mount a sapient race's head on their wall?
>>
>>52914418
Don't your's have at least one dragon's head?
>>
>>52914418
>>52914339
Goblins, man.
>>
>>52914418

They are murderhobos with zero regard for the lives of others
>>
>>52914431
Fuck goblins. And fuck kobolds.
>>
>>52914418
My dwarf's keep is lined with elf heads
>>
>>52914431

>mounting a kobold head on the wall instead of cooking said head in a stew

Apparently goblins in your world have it easy if they are willing to pass up that sort of food
>>
How annoying would it be to find a cursed magic item that made a character unable to speak, but it had crystals on it that corresponded to certain words and sounds?

It only has sounds from a Lil Jon soundboard
>>
File: IMG_2881.jpg (78KB, 357x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2881.jpg
78KB, 357x432px
>>52907723
You shouldnt have touched "it".
>>
>>52914440
That's the best explanation here.
>>
>>52914660
We have those theyre called kenku
>>
>>52914700
What?!
>>
>A ring of rope that let's you shoot a rope out of your sleeve, tying itself to the first thing it hits
?
>>
>>52914737
He's joking, but look at the player races in volo's.
>>52914792
Sounds fun.
>>
>>52914807
OKAY
>>
>>52909263
Nah, just remember that the Comeliness stat math involves Str and Con.
>>
>>52910381
>Encumbrance is awesome because my caster class can easily carry all the tools it needs to do its job and everyone else's
>while the dirty martials need to load themselves down to 60% of capacity with just their basic gear
>and have no space or weight left for items or equipment that let them do fun and interesting things in or out of combat, which is MY JOB
Leave and never return, faggot.
>>
>>52914874

Encumbrance is supposed to fuck over casters

An explorer pack will easily put a low strength wizard into a penalty and that's before you put a spellbook onto that weight.

Clerics wear armor and are expected to fight so they have the same encumbrance issues as fighters.

So really what you are talking about are things like Charisma casters who don't need a spellbook.
>>
>>52914953
>inability to carry things is supposed to harm the classes that don't need to carry things and can magically levitate themselves or other objects as well as shove things into pocket planes
"My Wizard ran out of carrying capacity" is a lie that caster supremacists tell to cover for their real intentions. "Oh," you think, as you just fucking did, "they wouldn't be cheering for this rule if it harms them more than martials." But they are, because it doesn't.
>>
File: IMG_7129.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7129.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>52914418
It's stuck in a hunters lodge where it's playing dead as a ruse.
>>
>Curse. A boastful weapon only deal 1 bludgeoning damage instead of its normal damage until you praise how superior the weapon is compared to all other weapons. Flattering a boastful weapon requires a successful DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check, and this attempt must be made while hostile creatures can see and hear you. A flattered boastful weapon deals its normal damage until the wielder finishes a short rest.
>>
>last minute cancel yesterday
>ongoing issue
>they plan to do it today
I'm the DM

Should I cancel my gym workout to DM? Or should I let them show up and realize they never talked to me?
>>
I joined a game a couple of weeks ago because I wanted some D&D between the sessions with my older group, which uses another system and shows no signs of breaking apart anytime soon The DM was new, the campaign blurb sounded kind of cheesy. I expected an easygoing sort of beer and pretzels thing. Instead I have experienced the inner workings of a shitty roll20 group for the first time.

My first rpg group had a lot of issues with people showing up on time too, but everyone was very cordial about it and usually at least left a message beforehand.

Flash forward to this one: We haven't had a steady lineup for like 3 weeks because every session without fail someone goes missing. Someone even left the GROUP mid-session once. Hell, by the time I joined most the group had been replaced or had gone AWOL, as I found out later.

The DM is again very inexperienced but I hoped the group would be supportive. And by god, he's trying, but with all the people coming and going at random, not just missing sessions but leaving the game out of nowhere, he's obviously straining to keep up. Last session we were missing half the group, including one of the players who'd just signed up, and the situation lost all coherency until he figured out the quantum ogre via convergent evolution. The one prior was only me and another player, and was entirely improv because some ungodly flame of determination made him refuse to just call off the session.

The group is so shitty, it's forcing him to develop his DMing at an accelerated pace just to keep the show going. And with the people who left this last week, I think he's going to have to rewrite his few plans that haven't been taken behind the shed yet.
>>
>>52915213
>he schedules gym time
fucking nerd
>>
>>52913659
>low level garbage foes for levels 1-2
They can still exist at level 5, 10, or maybe even higher. You don't "ding 11" and stop getting XP from hobgoblins. You don't become a dragon and start being immune to commoners. Foes suitable for low levels aren't only suitable for low levels.
>>
>>52912626

My group is called the Soldiers of Fortune. No one was coming up with anything good so I took musical inspiration because I was going through a Jojo phase at the time.
>>
>>52915302
>You don't "ding 11" and stop getting XP from hobgoblins.
Actually, if a creature doesn't pose a significant threat, you don't XP from it. There are no hard guidelines like in some past editions but it says as much in the encounter building rules in the DMG.
>>
>>52915213
Leave them a message saying you are busy and that they should talk to you first if they want to change the game's time. Don't show up or you risk it becoming an habit
>>
>>52915213
The only correct answer is glutes for the sloots.
>>
>>52912626
A Team
the NPC party that covers out shifts in the off time is called the B Team. They don't appreciate it.
>>
File: golemgirls.png (5KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
golemgirls.png
5KB, 256x256px
>>52915302
>Foes suitable for low levels aren't only suitable for low levels.
Of course they are. That's why you have to make them a different color and pump up their stats.
>>
>>52914828
Oh, gotcha. YEEAHH
>>
>>52915300
Shoo shoo gains goblin
>>
>>52912791
Is there a reason you aren't playing the Artificer?
>>
>>52915351
If a level 20 party kills a goblin why shoudnt they get xp from it
>>
>>52915492
because he wants to be a necromancer and you can't be that as an artificer?
>>
>>52915401
kek that's what I do
I've literally set 60 hp kobolds on my party
>>
>>52915569
Do they die in one round too?
>>
>>52915514
Because it's not a threat, and the threat = XP rule is there to prevent you from being able to execute a bunch of bound slaves at level one and instantly zoop up to three. There'd be entire industries devoted to raising monsters just so you could have "canned hunts" where low-level lordlings pay big bucks to walk through a basement with a bunch of goblins chained to the wall and stab each of them one after the other so they can level up and become more resistant to assassination attempts.
>>
>>52915520
>Artificer UA
>>
>>52915514

>2017
>playing XP per kill rules instead of story based advancement

Why would you ever do such a thing? Do you really prefer murderhobo incorporated?
>>
>>52915670
>There'd be entire industries devoted to raising monsters just so you could have "canned hunts" where low-level lordlings pay big bucks to walk through a basement with a bunch of goblins chained to the wall and stab each of them one after the other so they can level up and become more resistant to assassination attempts.
I don't think characters are aware of things like damage dice, hp and xp and leveling up dude
>>
>>52915514
>>52915670
Well, bounded accuracy and all that.
Enough hobgoblins can kill anyone.
Same for goblins.
>>
>>52915760
Yeah, okay, there's people in the world performing complex alchemy and quantifying magical phenomenon into discrete arcane formulae to produce consistent results and train their students, but no one in the past two thousand years has been smart enough to notice that they inexplicably gain the ability to cast fireball a third time just by being in proximity to a friend stabbing enough goblins. Sure.
>>
>>52915670
Slaves are likely commoners and therefore worth like a fraction of an xp
>>
>>52915779
Not a Champion HAM Fighter.
>>
>>52915806
A commoner is a weakling willing to fight.
If the creature is literally NO menace at all, as in never even try, are worth no xp.
>>52915812
All the arrows.
All the stones.
Is a matter of 20s and numbers
>>
>>52915779
>>52915837
>Enough hobgoblins can kill anyone
The system says larger groups are a bigger threat due to action economy. One chicken isn't a problem, but 100 is. That doesn't disprove threat = XP, and the other guy was clearly talking about "a (one, single) goblin".
>>
>>52915794
Possibly, but what happens when a character truly realises they're in a game?
>>
>>52915794
Levels were always meant to be abstractions, just like HP is. And it's not a fucking videogame, you're earning xp because the DM says you do. Stabbing chained goblins would give the nobles experience in nothing except stabbing chained goblins
>>
>>52915851
Sunless Citadel states that the defenceless are worth no XP, but I'd let the goblin be worth it's 50 xp. See how much is that worth on level 7.
>>
>>52915868
Experience points are an abstraction. Wizards still level up and gain new spellcasting capabilities even if they're watching martials kill enemies or are killing enemies themselves through martial means like stabbing them in the face. You don't have to cast a single spell in your entire Wizarding career to continue to level up as a Wizard.
>>
>>52915882
>the defenceless are worth no XP
Gee, that almost sounds like "enemies that aren't a threat aren't worth XP".
>>
File: 1493024679489.png (6KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
1493024679489.png
6KB, 226x223px
>>52915888
>You don't have to cast a single spell in your entire Wizarding career to continue to level up as a Wizard.
Please point to a single instant where anyone did this.
>>
>>52915925
Not him, but I've gone two Monk levels without ever punching anything or using ki
Wore armor, a shield, and used a warhammer the whole time
>>
>>52915888
>You don't have to cast a single spell in your entire Wizarding career to continue to level up as a Wizard.
You're arguing something that would never happen. I can't think of a single DM that would let you level up several times as a Wizard without doing anything related to your class.
>>
>>52915912
Almost is important, for that is what I was arguing for.
A goblin is worth 50 xp. I wouldn't call it significant, but is a threat.
A kobold warren dweller is worth nothing. No threat, defenceless.
>>
>>52915888
Until the DM realizes you don't do anything and tells you to start getting involved or gtfo. Or if he uses one of the many alternative systems in the DMG, like milestone xp or session-based level advancement

Game mechanics are not hard-and-fast rules of nature within the setting
>>
>>52915979
Also what the fuck can a Wizard even do if they never cast spells? They'd be completely useless and everyone would hate them.

Okay everyone would already hate them, but for casting spells all the time.

Fucking wizards man.
>>
>>52915993
Its teeth are probably pretty sharp spunds like a threat to me
>>
>>52915996
That's what he is saying.
He is arguing that shooting a crossbow makes you a better wizard, even if you didn't cast shit, because the system works as an abstraction that assumes you are using your class features.
>>
>>52915979
Should the DM let you continue to gain levels as an Illusionist Wizard if you've been killing creatures with fireballs all day?
>tom, i don't think greybeard has cast enough illusion spells to progress to the 7th season, so you don't get any exp for this encounter
Are we now running off an RPG system where stats improve as you use them, like Elder Scrolls or some of those PnP games where you get to choose skills you used during the session and roll to see if they got better?
>>
>>52915973
but why tho
>>
>>52916024
There's nothing stopping a Wizard from having high Dex or something like Sharpshooter, either at 4 or if they're a Var. Human. They can contribute meaningfully to combat with ranged weapons and no one would notice the disparity between them and dedicated fighters until a level where Extra Attack comes into play.
>>
>>52915973
That's your DM fault, mine don't let people multiclass/gain level in a class unless it make sense in RP.
>>
>>52916047
This is a textbook slippery slope fallacy. At least if you've been killing things with fireballs you're doing SOMETHING related to your character's powers.
>>
>>52916063
Check the PHB again and carefully examine which Monk features are disabled by wearing armor, shields or weapons
Then ask yourself if you even need those features if you're wearing armor, shields, or weapons
There's a part two to this, but do that homework first
>>
>>52916033
It's mentions the too old and too young, but it's about what they do, not the possibility of doing it.
A child could try to stab you, and another may only run and cry. The Citadel warren kobolds that aren't worth anything just run away while commoner kobolds try to hold you back.
The commoners are worth almost nothing, but the others are worth nothing even if you catch them.
>>
>>52916119
What if you've only ever cast Fire Bolt over and over again?
If high-level characters can't effectively level by slaying masses of low-level monsters, shouldn't high-level Wizards not gain as much arcane knowledge by casting unchallenging cantrips? If casting Fire Bolt is all it takes to level, why not sit in your tower and spam Mending all day?
>>
>>52908739
>i mean we're not here so you can just roll by yourself all day dave

But we aren't Dave, the casters want to play too
>>
>>52916150
While we're jumping off this slope how about a Fighter that never wears armor and only punches
>>
File: Variant, Automatic Success.png (524KB, 465x699px) Image search: [Google]
Variant, Automatic Success.png
524KB, 465x699px
>>52908739
I almost liked your post, then you started with the Str>Cha bullshit.
Still, have this.
>>
>>52916035
I am saying that IN-SETTING shooting a crossbow doesn't necessarily make you a better wizard because the leveling system is an abstraction that won't necessarily apply to anyone but the PCs, and that most DMs have the sense to say you get no xp if you just stood there near the fighter without doing anything, like he had originally proposed
>>
>>52916206
I didn't mean Str>Cha, but it should be a factor for first impressions. A bunch of townsfolk should probably think the hulking, oiled Barbarian, rippling with muscles like a bronzed Adonis knows how to protect them from orc raiders more than the fucking Tiefling Warlock who keeps talking to the sky.
>>
>>52916210
He specifically says martial means, and "stabbing them in the face".

I mean, I'd tell him to change to an eldritch knight, but he is making enough sense for me to play Devil's Advocate.
>>
>>52916150
Still going with the slippery slope I see

At that point I would suggest you to multiclass to something else because your character is clearly not advancing as a wizard and you're dragging the group down, if this ridiculous scenario ever came up on an actual game

Using in-universe logic and not game mechanics, though, fire bolt dude would never level up beyond maybe level 3 as a wizard
>>
>>52913942
Yeah yuan ti are great. They'd fit very well in certain campaigns.
>>
>>52914832
Sorry fighters, but the bard will always be more charming than you
>>
>>52916210
Why should your Wizard get the same amount of XP for slaying this hobgoblin as me if you only managed to cast one cantrip and spent the rest of the fight running in circles or trying to usher the civilians out of the cave while my Fighter was engaged with three enemies at once, got hit multiple times, and delivered multiple blows? I did most of the damage, I was in the most danger, I should get most of the XP.
>>
>>52916287
The graveyard is full of charming men whose dicks were small and unpleasurable. There are no children or wives buried with them.
>>
>>52916279
How about we make a retard party, join a Wizard that never uses spells with say a Barbarian that never rages and a Rogue that never sneak attacks.

And then also a Ranger that is a normal ranger, not that he'd be any different from the above in usefulness.
>>
>>52916266
>>52916210
Oh, sorry, before that he said just standing around.
Yeah.
>>52916253
I don't like that.
Both the terrifying murderous-lookin' barbarian and the mad hellwielding-looking walock should be hated the same.
>>
>>52916310
>a Rogue that never sneak attacks
This can happen entirely unintentionally.
>>
>>52916290
This now is something that could plausibly come up in a game, and the solution is to talk with the fucking group about it
>>
>>52916310
And the warlock who doesn't short rest.
>>
>>52916334
Just a second, fuccboi. You're only on board with this idea now because you know you can cast Fireball and kill seven goblins in one turn, before the rest of the party even has a chance to wound any of them. You'd just be stealing all the XP for yourself, denying us any POSSIBILITY of gaining experience!
>>
>>52916353
Last session (about the 13th or 14th one), our level 8 Warlock finally realized that his spells come back on a short rest.
>>
>>52916367
Calm down Steve, that's why we're talking it over. I could just houserule that XP is always divided on equal parts you jerk
>>
>>52916367
Simple.
Kill the wizard and consume his xp.
>>
>>52916126
You're basically not using the 2 first monk features right?

... So what's the point of playing monk?
>>
>>52908104
Casting Scorching Ray at higher levels, with each additional level only costing 1 ki point seems kind of OP.
Also, I would reduce the duration of the spaces behind you being on fire from Rushing Fire Serpent from one minute to one round, because, if the fire lingers for an entire minute, I can see that quickly getting very out of hand, with a monk being able to set the entire battlefield on fire for the entire encounter. You'll still probably be using your move action close to every turn, so you should get opportunities to create new fire spaces anyway.
>>
>>52916448
Archetype features (in this case, being able to cast Silence and Pass Without Trace, teleportation between areas of darkness)
Stunning Blow
Deflect Missiles
Slow Fall
Dodge and Dash as a bonus action
Evasion
Next level: running up walls and across water, because even though armored Monks don't benefit from a speed increase, nothing says they don't get the later improvement

Monks actually have a fucking kit, unlike Fighters.
>hit things
>hit things more
>undo getting hit once
>hit things and impose a condition
>>
Short of outright banning some of the more egregious MC combos what do some DMs do in their game to discourage or inhibit too much class dipping nonsense?
>>
>>52916547
Ask them to not do that, only to be told that
>Mate, we can't be arsed to memorise the MC rules.
And all was good.
>>
>>52916306
Is that where all the fighters who died in battle are buried?
>>
>>52916579
We've just established that Fighters can't be charming, so no.
>>
>>52916533
Technically you can also use Flurry of Blows, can't you?
>>
>>52916625
Yes, so that's potentially another 8-12 damage per round if you want to spend your ki on that, even if you don't have unarmored damage improvements from a racial feature or Tavern Brawler. I have used it to kill things that I really didn't want to last another turn.
>>
File: 1436239340757.jpg (108KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1436239340757.jpg
108KB, 400x400px
>>52916306
>he thinks dick size is related to Str and Con
It's 1d4+Char+Con.
So rolling a 4 on a bard with 20 Charisma and 16 Constitution is 11inches. Considering 6-7 is the average for humans.
>>
>>52916547
Make it so that multiclassing requires rp reasons like intended
>>
>>52916686
>average Cha and Con for humans, by definition, is 10 (+0)
>average dick is 6 inches
>1d4
>>
>>52916716
So, by 5e rules, it's a d10.
Huh.
>>
>>52916698
You're talking about a system where Paladins are allowed to murder people if they have MUH GREATER GOOD RP reasons as to why that's not against their Oath.

And on the actually-a-good-thing side, a system where "just refluff it idiot" is the law of the land. Maybe this dude's not playing a sneaky Rogue, he just wants Sneak Attack to represent his keen anatomical knowledge from being a doctor.
>>
>>52916680
Can you talk a bit bout your character's background? Is it some kind of armored Brother Tuck or ..?
>>
>>52915351
XP has a lot of different ways it can be handled. The only place I can recall something like that showing up is in the multiplier for a large enemy group. They still count, they just don't increase the multiplier.
>>
>>52916686
Something like a plain d6+2, adding your pick of half cha or con modifier for thematic reasons, maybe?
>>52916716
It's actually something like 5'5 but everyone rounds it up
>>
>>52916547
why would it be a problem?
>>
>>52916894

UA Ranger and Warlock are classes that are extremely dippable due to being ridiculously front loaded.

MC combos encourage system mastery bullshit which is awful and should be avoided
>>
>>52916880
Body bulk actually decreases dick size and there's no way charm or facial attractiveness influences your dick size, so maybe a high Cha just means you have a cute dick with no warts or weird bend.
>your Bard finally charms his way into the princess' panties
>OH MY, SIR LUTEWIG, WHAT A DELIGHTFUL "FLUTE" YOU HAVE! IT'S SO CUTE!
>can't get it up now because she thinks it's so adorable
>>
>>52916716
That's not how averages work, you don't determine the averages of something by looking at the averages of something else.
I seriously hope you don't DM and just give all your human NPC's 10 in every stat, because that's just asinine.
Some are going to have a higher Con and a lower Cha, some might even be at like 12 in each with an 8 Dex or similar.
10 represents the baseline average, the guy who can do a push up or two, jog for a bit, has the basic dexterity required not to spill coffee on himself, is smart enough to know Common, roughly wise enough to notice when they're in obvious danger, and inoffensive in conversation enough to not be considered a social pariah.
Merchants and the like probably have above the average charisma, more than decent wisdom, and a bit of intelligence to them. They're wise enough not to become adventurers at least.
Whereas farmers are likely to be physically inclined they probably have a decent charisma too, anyone who takes Charisma as a dump stat deserves to be ostracised by NPC's who find the character offensive, rude, and awkward.
>>52916880
I suppose that could work, but having charisma in the negative should give a neg penalty to the roll.
>>
>>52916686

>implying charisma is a measure of physical attributes or beauty

Yep all those weedy sorcerers have ginormous packages...
>>
>>52916950
>That's not how averages work
>10 represents the baseline average
I'm glad you came around.
>>
>>52916922
why is system mastery bullshit awful and why should it be avoided?
>>
>>52916946
Well, that's why I said thematic reasons, I don't think the barbarian would settle with a 5 inch dick if we were in the kind of game where we roll for dick size and d6 gives a nice bell curve so the rest is making it so that people have some form of control over their dick
>>
>>52916686
>Solars have 18-22 inch cocks

suberashii
>>
>>52916946
If I'm DMing I'd call a Charisma save to get it up despite the embarrassment.
>>52916966
>weedy
If they have negative modifiers to con then it becomes 1d4+Cha+(-Con) thereby penalising the stat.
>>52916973
You stopped reading there I assume?
No one is baseline average in everything, such an NPC would be a faceless civilian that never gets interacted with.
Never DM.
>>
>>52917027
Id believe it
>>
>>52917027
They're Celestial, what do you expect?
>>
>>52916987
Because powergaming most often runs against the enjoyment of the game by the group at large unless you manage to get an entire group of powergamers, or the rare powergamer who doesn't munch cocks for breakfast
>>
File: kenshiroreturn.gif (739KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
kenshiroreturn.gif
739KB, 256x192px
>>52916762
He is a hermit and part of an esoteric brotherhood (founded by and mostly containing Dwarves) that seeks to understand the nature of reality. They started their studies with an examination of the stuff that makes up reality: matter, and the physical properties that govern it and all interactions. Their centuries-long quest has involved spiritual reflection, petitioning the divine, practicing the arcane and alchemical, and even just getting really good at hitting shit to see how it wobbles or breaks, or some combination of the above; every student contributes to the greater sum of the order's knowledge.

At some point in their history, they actually made a huge breakthrough: matter and energy are related.
The character follows the spiritual and physical paths, and all of his Monkly abilities are refluffed as some quasi-magical application of physical laws, usually involving mass shifting or storing kinetic energy. When he Slow Falls, he's not doing some bullshit Monk flutterkicking, he's just becoming so light that air resistance slows him appreciably. When he Deflects Arrows, he sucks kinetic energy out of the projectile until it's slow enough to be grabbed, and if he returns it, it's literally pic related as he pumps the juice back in.

None of this is ever explained to the party, though. They think he's just a weirdo covered in leaves who talks to an old stone hammer. It took them many sessions to realize he was a Monk and not a Ranger or Druid.
>>
>>52916686
Well than how would you calculate breast size?
>>
>>52917084
why would powergaming run against the enjoyment of the group at large?
>>
>>52917038
>No one is baseline average in everything
Do your civilians all use point buy or what
>>
>>52917105
oppai stat duh
>>
How much would a Solar need to be tweaked to make a good "final boss to end all final bosses" encounter?
>>
>>52917161
>a good "final boss to end all final bosses"
You start by not giving it stats.
>>
>>52917109
Because powergamers tend to disproportionately care for optimization and big numbers over other aspects of the game. A large amount of them are also rules lawyers, which is its own can of worms
>>
>>52917027
I think I've read that comic.

Just make sure not to look at them.
>>
>>52917178
And turn it into a big puzzle instead?
>>
>>52917185
what does caring about optimization and big numbers have to do with anything?
>>
>>52917109

Are you just being willfully obtuse?

3.x/PF has a system mastery problem which was baked into the platform in 3.0. There are good options and there are shit options and there are options that if you go through 30 splatbooks you can easily break the game (I mean even more than tier1 characters already did).

System Mastery rewards players for knowing all the good options and avoiding all the trap options. It sucks for getting new people into the hobby because unless they spend all their time on charop forums they don't know all the secrets and they suck in comparison to SIR CHAROP.

4e basically tried to nuke system mastery from orbit and WotC even made retroactive changes to eliminate game breaking mechanics. Of course all the system mastery fans of 3.x hated it so they stayed with PF.

5e has a certain level of system mastery but way way less than 3.x and thus far that is a good thing especially for stuff like organized play because wildly different PC capabilities makes for a shit game
>>
>>52917219
Let's put it this way: do you think you could stab God to death? Like actual God, not a D&D god.
>>
>>52917161
Give it multiple initiatives and massively expand its innate spell list
>>
Fastest way to sabotage lots and lots of nonmagical weapons at once without changing their appearance?
>>
>>52917105
See that one is tricky, it's actually part genetics and part nutrition during puberty. So a high charisma village girl from a hamlet where there was a small famine during her formative years would be cute but have small breasts, while the daughter of a nobleman who has low charisma might have larger breasts, that'd have to be determined by background. Also there's breast size compared to actual weight and having large breasts because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's going off a cliff.
In the case of that just be sensible, most breast sizes in a medieval setting would probably cap out at D at most, with B-C being average and A being for adult women who didn't have the opportunity to get enough nutrition to grow large breasts.
>>52917135
No, I determine it myself, I make decisions about NPC's the party interacts with, rattle off what the NPC does and who he is, give him stats, it's not hard.
It's easier than creating an actual character because you aren't rolling but not as fun as creating an actual character because you aren't rolling.
>>
>>52917276
Well, no
>>
>>52917240
I'm starting to think you're a defensive powergamer
>>
>>52917102
I see. Interesting.

How do the other players not notice you're playing a Monk ?
During a game, do you use the features' normal names? Or is your DM "in" on the refluffing and you use a different linguo?
Ki points, Flurry of Blows... They're all pretty distinctive, aren't they?
>>
>>52917161

Go full Sephiroth and have the PCs have to defeat 3 different forms of the Solar.

Plus give it some more advanced caster abilities.

The action economy will still likely fuck it over but you can put in some sort of healbot minions that basically spam healing spells and/or buffs every turn so that the PCs have to destroy the healing/buffing minions before killing the Solar.
>>
>>52917296
No one actually cared how you make your NPCs, I was just pointing out that you're a fucking twit for thinking no man could be born utterly average in all respects.
>>
>>52917144

You'd need to include some sort of blood type and birthdate modifiers to go full weaboo though
>>
>>52917262
That doesn't have much to do with players themselves though.

>>52917310
People just think it is like it be but it don't
>>
>>52917185
What about powergamers who roleplay their characters and the high numbers is just a bonus?
>>
>>52916533
Ok, and I can see going through level 1 monk after level 1 fighter without using monk's features, but how do you go through two monk levels without using your Ki at monk 2? I mean you might as well.
>>
>>52917324
I never said ki or named any of my features. The DM was in on it, so I'd just roll what needed to be roll or tell the DM the creatured needed to Con save (Stunning Blow) and that was that.

Their only real hint was when the character did some shit and motioned the party into charging a bunch of hobgoblins at the top of a guard tower, only to find that they just ran into an area of magical silence and the alarm bell wasn't ringing. They figured "he obviously cast Silence" and decided that since my character talked to a rock, lived in the woods, and had leaves for a cape that he must be some kind of Ranger or something. When I used Flurry of Blows, I think they just weren't paying enough attention to what or how many times I was rolling.
>>
>>52917370
Amazing how you write a response but say nothing at all
>>52917377
That falls under
>or the rare powergamer who doesn't munch cocks for breakfast
>>
>>52917377
>mexican intellectuals
>>
Anyone got an idea for cool short hag quest? The player characters need to ask a hag for a favor and I want them to do something for her in exchange.
>>
>>52917338
How am I a twit?
No one is utterly average in ALL aspects, that would be retarded.
>>
>>52911165
Forgot to put them in the paste. Fuck. I'll have to put them in the next pastebin i make. I also forgot to make revenant stuff. Anybody got recommendations for feats for Kor, Vedalken, and Vampires. I don't really know what they're like in MtG so any kind of summary would be great.
>Minotaur

>Blood Beast of Baphomet
>+1 Str
>At the start of your next turn you can choose to gain advantage on all attack rolls until the end of your next turn but all attack rolls against you also have advantage.

>The Sea Faring Kind
>+1 Dex
>You gain a swim and climb speed equal to your highest movespeed.
>You also gain proficiency carpentry and rope work.

>Work Bull
>+1 Str
>You count as two size categories larger for the purposes of push and pull. 1 Size category larger for the purposes of lift and carry.
>>
>>52917377

What is the roleplaying purpose of dipping 2 levels of warlock just to get EB plus agonizing blast and then fucking off to a different class?

It's invariably about getting access to a better cantrip and lockdown ability.

So it's a powerup to another class rather than being a solid class archetype in it's own.
>>
>>52917377
Depends on the power curve as kinda pointed out by >>52917262

A powergamer who cares about RP is fine by itself, the issues is if their character is mechanically overshadowing the rest of the party (or alternatively, there's a member that is distinctly bad mechanically). Some people are okay with being outshined, even thoroughly, but most players will want their character to at least be competent at what their visualized role is and certainly not be redundant.

This is where system balance comes in: it's fine to reward system mastery but not at the expense of players without it.
>>
>>52917405
Never really came up. I saved all the ki in case I needed a Silence or something if a caster showed up or a bonus Dodge if I got really hurt, but it just never happened for a while.

It's like when you're playing a CRPG and you've got a bunch of powerful potions that you never drink because "ooh what if I need 'em later".
>>
>>52917448
She shrinks them down to recover something from a box she found
>>
>>52917296
>having large breasts because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's going off a cliff

One of my favorite quotes ever
>>
>>52917452
The Stormwinds begin to howl
>>
>>52917449
>No one is utterly average in ALL aspects
If the only quantifiable respects are six stats and the difference between "weakest you can possibly be without being in a coma" and "strongest you can possibly be without robotics or magic" is just 7-8 points either way, then being just strong enough to warrant a 10 Str, for instance, is still a broad range.

There's like seven billion people on Earth and maybe a billion or two in the average fantasy world. Statistically speaking, there's going to be a lot of people who are 10s across the board, especially when having an 18 or 3 is less likely than a 10, whether you're rolling or imagining a realistic distribution curve.
>>
>>52910004
Yeah, your F's and S's are cute, but overall you need to work on making your handwriting less broad. You can fit way more on a page while also making it neater.
>>
>>52917470

If a ki pool is too small or refreshes to infrequently for a PC to be willing to use the class feature then it's sized incorrectly of the rest/recovery mechanisms need adjustment

In general I think the Monk is a really poor chassis currently because it's resource mechanic is pretty stunted and it's got a grab bag of random although iconic abilities many of which aren't working in harmony with each other.

It's not 3.x shit tier (although 4Elements is horribad) but it's also not fun like a 4e monk is either.

I wish they'd do a major rewrite of it like they did with the UA Ranger but right now it just seems kinda wonky and not really worth investing in
>>
>>52917434
Neat.
>>52917437
What?
>>52917452
>dipping 2 levels
That's dumb, take the third level to get your gift from your patron.
Discuss with the DM, state you want to multiclass and suggest your patron might not be powerful enough to support the full 20 level progression of Warlock so you drop off early, you haven't disappointed your patron and you still do things for them, but they can't give you any more power, that doesn't stop you from growing as an individual in other skills.
Mind you I think anyone who uses up 2 levels JUST to get Agonising Eldritch Blast is a bit of a tool.
>>52917456
You bring up a good point, I tend to powergame a little bit, I just like coming up with cool combos and making big numbers. But I don't try to outshine other players. Also it's not like I go the Great Weapon Mastery at 20Str route, that's not fun, that's just a Guts expy.
>>
>>52917556

The point is this:

Why make a class like warlock or sorcerer where the combo is better than the base class?

Wouldn't it be better from a game design perspective to actually build a solid class levels 1-20. People don't normally talk about dipping Wizard for instance.

I like 5e but right now MC is poorly balanced and there are a lot of classes that were designed around the assumption that you'll be a warlock 1-20 and right now there really isn't a lot of reason for maintaining a commitment to some of the classes.
>>
>>52917452
Does it matter? Class flavor is whatever you want it to be (and your DM will allow).

Your character isn't a class, or a multiclass. That's just shorthand used when discussing mechanics or not wanting to delve too deeply on what makes them tick. Your character is a (fictional) person, and the combination of abilities they possess and develop is simply part of their nuances.
>>
>>52917572
So why do you think someone with 10 across the board, average of averages, the most boring person, would have anything larger than 4 inches?
>>
File: 1465983318980.jpg (62KB, 369x319px) Image search: [Google]
1465983318980.jpg
62KB, 369x319px
>>52917606
>that's just a Guts expy
>Mfw thinking of playing a Guts clone

It'd be fun, get boring after a while, but would still be fun.
>>
>>52916206
>What is take 10 when there is no danger or risk of failure
>>
>>52917680

Sometimes boring people get the hung status

Sometimes amazing people get micropeen status
>>
>>52917680
I think he'd have an average dick, which is at least 5".
>>
>>52917657
The main reason is WotC front loaded almost every class because their tests or whatever showed people normally don't play past level 10. It's why there is a cutoff of monsters and such that would fall between that 10-20 category and why some of the really good stuff is given out early.
>>
>>52917427
Well thanks for your answers. I assume you feel like your character is of a decent power level compared to the others?
It's interesting, I never realized that even the tradition features aren't linked to going monk weapon / unarmored.

To be fair, I feel like as a DM, I'd OK Unarmored Movement working just as long as your AC isn't more than WIS+DEX.

I feel like the class design has no real "space", and could have had some.
>>
>>52917720
A rule of other system?
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/05/is-there-a-take-10-rule-in-5e/
>>
>>52917657
Warlock and Sorcerer are way too similar and I don't allow Sorcerers to turn Warlock Spell Slots into Sorcery Points and I don't do it myself because I doubt the Patron appreciates a Sorcerer using his power to fuel his own and might see it as a violation.
>>52917710
I have a friend who does it, he loves it.
>>
>>52917663
He was talking about mechanics though
>>
>>52917739
Which is a pity. Makes there even less reason to go past 10.
>>
>>52917727
When?
>>52917736
Why?
>>
Does increasing an animal companions dex increase its AC?
>>
>>52917747
If it wasn't for my being able to take three blows from a giant to the face and dodge the other 10 thanks to 21 AC and Dodge actions, we'd all be dead by now. The only other character who can remotely tank is the Rogue, but that's only good for one hit a round, twice, and then he's toast.

Teleportation, advantage on hit, flurry, and stunning blow also lets me chunk weaklings and disable casters like no one else can, so there's that. It's great.
>>
>>52917815
Yes
>>
File: wejustdontknow.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
wejustdontknow.gif
999KB, 250x251px
>>52917788
>why would the average man have an average dick
>>
>>52917779
Yeah, I'm managing it by pulling monsters from previous editions and either using an existing stat block and tweaking their special abilities if I can make them fit. Or just Frankensteining shit together on the weaker end and then tuning them up as encounters happen so I don't accidentally TPK when it was supposed to just be a decent and interesting fight.
>>
>>52917820
21 AC? How..?
>>
>>52917788

There are a variety of random pornstars that arguable have average or below average stats but also have ridiculous endowments.

Presumably the reverse also happens although very few celebs are going to come forward with micropeen status
>>
>>52917866
Like hitler
>>
>>52917452
Its not like the other classes are explicitly secret. The character might want EB/AB specifically because its a good cantrip with lockdown utility. Or, the character might only bargain for 2 levels worth of Warlock. Or, the character might get overwhelmed and terminate the contract after level 2. The specifics of class abilities are abstract and nebulous like HP and AC, but they're no secret.
>>
>>52917657
If we want a real-life analogy: Competency in English or Musical Instruments is very useful, but getting a degree in English or Musical Instruments isn't such a fantastic long-term goal when you could just take that competency and apply it elsewhere.

Not everything is equal in all or any cases.
>>
>>52917863
Full Plate: 18
Shield: +2
Defense Fighting Style (Fighter level): +1
>>
>>52917837
Exactly.
>>52917866
Why do you think Pornstars are average in Charisma and Constitution?
They have the Constitution to do long scenes at least.
>>
>>52917908
Maybe average charisma but are varient human with the actor feat
>>
>>52917885
The problem is that in-character he's striking a deal with a demon, a lovecraftian horror or a fae just so that he can blast shit better with magic, which could easily get hard to justify unless you're playing a power hungry or ruthlessly utilitarian sociopath
>>
>>52917680
because the average penis length is greater than 4" everywhere except best korea
>>
>>52917962
The Kims are pribably only in power because they had 4 inch cocks
>>
>>52917933
I don't think they have the actor feat.
If you think they do you've been watching some high quality premium shit son.
>>52917962
Okay, how do you think averages work? Please tell me you learned this in school and you're just fucking with me by pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>52917935
the difficulty of justification is entirely subjective and can easily turn into punishing a player for playing the game "wrong"
>>
File: IMG_1019.jpg (118KB, 750x569px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1019.jpg
118KB, 750x569px
>>52917998
But with average charisma the actor feat wouldnt do much for them
>>
File: giggle.jpg (100KB, 487x510px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.jpg
100KB, 487x510px
>people thinking Charisma and Constitution don't equal sexual prowess
How else do you think Warlocks satisfy their patrons? Why else would Charisma be their casting stat?
>>
>>52918078
They never actually meet their patrons. They're in a long distance relationship, bragging and sending flattery to their sugar-patron who rewards them with magical gifts. They need Charisma to come up with inventive new ways to sext Daddy GOO and ask for his extradimensional cummies.
>>
>>52918078
I'd ask but I have a sinking feeling this is some trap shit.
>>
File: 1291809173219.jpg (14KB, 258x279px) Image search: [Google]
1291809173219.jpg
14KB, 258x279px
Bump limit 5eg is some good shit.
>>
>>52917907
So Fighter 1 then everything in Monk?
>>
>>52918158
Only at about this hour,
Later you are just wondering why can't it just die.
>>
>>52918052
Honestly if I was DMing I wouldn't exactly lose sleep about how my poor player wasn't able to get his 2 levels of warlock for agonizing blast while ignoring all the rp implications of being a warlock, and many subjective issues are intended to be solved by the DM anyways.
>>
File: laughter.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
laughter.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>52918134
What about Archfey and Fiends? Or the Raven Queen? You can actually meet those.
GOO is the main one that you don't need to meet because meeting it could actually melt your Wisdom stat to 0.
But if you aren't man enough to satisfy Dendar the Night Serpent you shouldn't even be a GOOlock.
though the idea of sexting Daddy GOO and calling his power extradimensional cummies is hilarious for some reason
>>52918149
It might be, I honestly don't know.
>>
>>52918078
>Strength
More varied positions
>Constitution
Keep going for longer
>Dexterity
Helpful hands
>Intelligence
Knowledge and study of the subject
>Wisdom
Intuitive understanding of your partner
>Charisma
Getting them there in the first place

Every stat has different benefits.
>>
>>52918176
Yes. I'm still not sure if I'll take Monk to 9 for running up walls or quit at Monk 8 and go back to Fighter for Surge. It's doubtful we'll get much farther level-wise, and Purity of Body isn't much use (especially for a Dwarf). The 11 Shadow Monk feature is okay but I'd probably get more mileage out of Action Surge.
>>
>>52918149
Worse
Femdom
>>
>>52918134
It is entirely possible for a GOO to not even be aware of his contracts, so in that case it's more like warlocks are creepy celebrity stalkers writing self insert slash fics
>>
Is beast bond worth taking as a beast conclave ranger? Or are you just going to be using hunters mark all the time anyway?
>>
>>52918227
Would you have gone Kensei Monk if you could have?
>>
Should I or shouldn't I ambush my level 1 players with a greataxe bugbear?
>>
>>52918217
This is why I don't like dumpstats and why I'm glad my table uses 4d6 drop the lowest for stats and we roll 3 rows of 6 stats then pick a row. No rerolls though and DM has to watch you roll. DM tends to modify some numbers for fairness sake though.
Still, my first Warlock the relationship with the Patron was legit romantic with the Archfey, as long as I sent her gifts and didn't romantically involve myself with others she was happy.
there was a point where we had a fade to black moment because we aren't degenerate and neither I nor the DM want to flirt even for roleplay so I mostly just state that I'm sending her gifts or that I'm flirting and give it a charisma check
>>
>>52918334
if you want to outright kill one of your players, sure
>>
>>52918381
It's not like I want to, but we must all fear the roll of the dice
>>
Are Way of Tranquility monks viable? If I wanted to go even farther with the support and into skillmonkeying, assuming there wasn't one, what could I take?
>>
>>52918415
Sure, but a bugbear ambush at level 1 is pretty much if you roll a 10 or more on stealth, someone is very likely going to die instantly
>>
bought the monster manual for roll20

I've googled everywhere.

How do I make it so that when I click on a monster's character sheet and roll a stat, the player's dont see it?
>>
>>52917296
>having large breasts because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's going off a cliff.
And the ones who are fat with small breasts are like the car sliding down a cliff and you know you can't stop it you just have more time to panic?
>>
>>52918521
Exactly!
>>
File: Lewd+elves_37de46_6243010.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lewd+elves_37de46_6243010.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>>52918348
>not being an Elf Warlock
>not begging Daddy GOO for cummies
it's like you don't even Warlock
>>
>>52917935
Not every deal has to be for his immortal soul, anon. I'm sure there are either weak beings with less to give, or beings with desires small enough that the pact is very transactional (you owe me one favor, or I need someone in the material plane to do this one small thing)
>>
File: 1479482377432.gif (688KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
1479482377432.gif
688KB, 664x714px
>>52918806
>>
Does an iron golem's poison gas penetrate leomund's tiny hut's dome?
>>
New thread lads >>52918904
>>
>>52918855
By making a deal with any entity of evil and then performing a service in exchange for power you have done just that.
>>
>>52918855
There are guidelines to how powerful a being has to be in order to be able to create warlocks though. This is stuff that has to be handled directly with the DM
>>
File: 1349204886203.gif (344KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1349204886203.gif
344KB, 256x192px
>>52918469
I don't get it, what is the point you're trying to make?
>>
>>52918882
The hut blocks spells and magical effects, but the iron golem's gas isn't magical I think? The hut also regulates the atmosphere on the inside, and you might be able to include poison gas occuring in that.
>>
>>52918922
Good point, but imo you should be working with your DM as soon as you think you might want to multiclass so that it makes sense in the world. In general, work with your DMs.
>>
>>52917657
Have you actually tried it? Can you prove that more Dees of damage like an archer is better than more fireball-likes as a sorcerer, more invocations, more mass suggestion, etc?
>>
>>52917720
>no danger or risk of failure
>>52917760
There's actually three ways that 5E does handle it. Roll and see if you succeed right away. If you fail, you can keep trying until you succeed, basically take 20. Takes 10 times as long.

Or just don't fucking roll. If there's no consequence, you just do it. Not everyone is into the whole
>Roll to see if we laugh
of rolling acrobatics to sit in a chair.
>>
>>52918348
>my table uses 4d6 drop the lowest for stats and we roll 3 rows of 6 stats then pick a row. No rerolls though and DM has to watch you roll. DM tends to modify some numbers for fairness sake though.
You aren't going for random stats. You're just a powergamer.
>>
>>52918922
>There are guidelines to how powerful a being has to be in order to be able to create warlocks though
Not really. Even a garden variety fey hag could teach you magic.
Thread posts: 476
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.