[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Organization based off or references the Spanish Inquisition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Witchhunters-concept.png (319KB, 298x755px) Image search: [Google]
Witchhunters-concept.png
319KB, 298x755px
>Organization based off or references the Spanish Inquisition or Matthew Hopkins
>Religious zealots who worship their specific god/pantheon
>Are either against specific types of magics thats heretical or illegal, or they simply outright hate magic and will kill and hunt down every single magic user ever
>the ones that hunt down and fight against magic users and wizards, yet DO NOT utilize magic at all to combat magical foes, instead utilize muh faith to the god(s) and silver shit

How do you deal with such an not!Spanish Inquisition organization in your setting or campagin. Especially if you play as a magic user or "Witch?"

Also how the hell can you take such people seriously in such a magical fantasy world? Like I mentioned; they may hate ALL magic even the ones that are beneficial to life and is helpful. But when having to deal with the bad magic or magical enemies they won't use or utilize magic and will just further blaming magic-stuff for heresy and unfaithfulness.

Enlighten me, who may or may not be a "heretic."
>>
>>52903571
>Organization based off the spanish inquisition
they're basically the IRS.
Except with non-religion, they search you, they find you and demand you start paying taxes and pretend to give up your religion.

They're also lousy at killing people and overall pretty chill for what equates to the IRS/Secret Police. Everyone thinks they're mean and eat children (they don't deny this either).

Alternative, go for murderhobo/psychopath combo like anima, warhammer (both), black legend, etc...
>>
>>52903571
Don't scare me like that! I didn't expect it!
>>
>>52903571
What magic system is in use, first of all?

Witch hunters work in WFRP because the nature of magic is typically so large. It's not an everyday thing like it is in D&D.
>>
>>52903571
>How do you deal with such organization in your setting or campagin
By not having such shit-tier elements in the setting.
>>
>>52903571

It depends, dramatically, on the setting. Anti-magic organizations would be fringe lunatics in just about any DnD world, because of just how ubiquitous and bland magic is. In the case of your picture, magic is rare, poorly understood, and frequently connected (quite rationally) with elves, murderous and even more poorly understood beasts, and all kinds of bullshit, so the existence of the Order of the Eternal Flame is pretty understandable.

You need to figure out just how magic your setting has, and how well understood it is by the general populace. It's a huge band, all the way between 'pretty much anyone could cast a little magic with some applied study and effort' of Elder Scrolls', to settings like the Witcher's 'magical study takes decades, minimum, and fundamentally mutates its human users' before you can create the 'all magic is badwrong' organization. Even in a setting like Faerun, you'll have anti-magic organizations who follow some insane prophet or other with some belief about magic weakening the fabric of reality or something; it's not very hard to create crackpot cults with insane beliefs of any kind, but it's unlikely they'll have any real presence or power in that kind of setting. In settings like Warhammer, however, where magic *demonstrably* and *uncontrollably* lethal, even to its practitioners, organizations like that are practically a necessity.

tl;dr Depends on the setting.
>>
Make the people who enforce the magic laws magic-users themselves.

One day, the local lords gave a mage legal authority to issue magic licenses, and murder any mage who used their powers without one. Said mage went around to other mages, and said: "join my magic police force, or fight me, right here, right now." Those mages who agreed to join then went round in their group and harassed other mages. And so on.

Soon the only mages left were either under license, outlaws or dead, and order was achieved.
>>
>>52903571

>now in our daily anthropology thread....

Really starting to be over all these "why can't something I didn't write reflect how I think it should be?" Threads.
>>
>>52903571
If I'm a spellcaster in a setting where there's an Inquisition out to fuck me up, I keep my head down. Especially if they're JUSTIFIED.
>>
>>52906462
This is very good answer.
>>
>>52904637
>>
File: 1372223824315.jpg (25KB, 397x520px) Image search: [Google]
1372223824315.jpg
25KB, 397x520px
>>52903571
I had a chat with a friend about this. For the reasons of >>52906462, and >>52906555, unless your magic has some extenuating circumstances that mean that you pretty much need to give up your humanity to cast even the slightest amount, or it is wildly unreliable and obviously dangerous to everyone around including practicioners, ubiquity means that an anti-magic organisation can never be taken seriously.

Sure, they might exist as transient cults and fringe lunatics that haven't been stamped out yet, but society is inevitably dominated and friendly with the accumulation of magic power. The political class feel threatened by magic? Eventually, they either get their hands on it, or the mages overthrow them and create a new political class more in touch with the power behind the throne. Any anti-magic organisation that doesn't itself have either magic, or magic backing, is a fucking joke and will be annihilated as soon as they become significant enough to be worth the trouble of destroying.

We did propose the idea that a wizard might well create a city of witch-hunters hostile to wizards around their own wizard tower, in order to keep lesser spellcasters off of their goddamn lawn though.
>>
>>52903571
Replace magic with black people or any minority, and ponder how it applies to modern hate groups and /pol/

Boom, now you know
The fact that it isn't rational doesn't mean that it isn't possible or credible
>>
>>52903571
>Organization based off or references the Spanish Inquisition or Matthew Hopkins
>Matthew Hopkins

I'm sorry, but who's this Matthew Hopkins guy?
>>
Makes me wonder. If/Assuming you are a member of the not! Spanish Inquisition-Witch Hunting organization. How would you deal/kill/arrest some dude who'd hurl fireballs at your ass, and the only thing you got is your standard issue "blessed" sword and issued not!bible(s)?
>>
>>52908852
Depends if your faith in your not!bible and not!God grants you some sort of immunity or holy powers to combat that.
Otherwise shank their asses while they sleep.
>>
>>52908852
>>52908906
>>52903571

I'll take my chance with hanging with the cool magic-using people and wizards. And try my chances with hooking up with a qt wizard/mage/sorceress girls over an army of Matthew Hopkins fanboys/cosplayers.
>>
>>52908852
Get some faith, of course.

Of course, the gods help those who help themselves, so a nice thick fireproof jacket (or perhaps capirote and robes if you want to be religious and really fireproof), a sturdy holy staff (good for beatings, good for conducting unholy energies to the earth) and thick-soled hobnailed boots (good for both kicking and for when foul magics make the floor slippery as shit)

Also introduce yourself like so https://youtu.be/hY2_UEiOuow?t=298
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.