[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys do when your players die? Do you let them reroll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: totalpartykill_9364.png (168KB, 379x276px) Image search: [Google]
totalpartykill_9364.png
168KB, 379x276px
What do you guys do when your players die?
Do you let them reroll or do you start a completely new campaign.
Also with this I mean after they have been playing for quite a long time.
>>
>>52876954
When the players die, I get new players.
>>
>>52877052
lol.

Maybe OP could rephrase the question?
>>
If it's anything short of a TPK, the players assume new characters until the old ones can be resurrected. If it's a TPK and they've been playing long enough that we have more than a year invested in the story, it usally means that it's time for the players to bust their way out of the Hell in one way or another.
>>
>>52877106
Kek I meant when the party wipes after playing a long time, do you guys as dm let them reroll and start the campaign over or do you guys start a new campaign?
>>
>>52876954
How much did you fuck up as a DM and how much did they fuck up as players that ALL of them died? Was there no escape or something? Why there was no escape?
>>
>>52877111
But letting them get resurrected even after everyone dies seems a bit cheap to me.
>>
>>52876954
They can reroll a character of same level. But they lose all items and must choose a new race and class. We play pathfinder.
>>
>>52877148
I might have fucked up on this one as a DM as I threw too many enemies on the party.
After all the things they defeated I thought they could do this easily but the mobs got some lucky rolls and fucked them up.
>>
>>52877111
>>52877155
Resurrection is always cheap unless it's part of something else (like an apotheosis or becoming a vampire).
>>
>>52876954
I'd say introduce other consequences outside of death to avoid such things. They could either be warped by an event, or lose something very valuable to them. Or have them go through some trouble in order to make up for being alive, like >>52877111 said with fighting out of hell. Make them lose progress or feel the hurt for failure, but don't halt the journey entirely unless that's what a player wants.
>>
>>52877197
No problem with that, everyone has a bad day. What I'm amazed at is that none of them cowardly escaped the second he saw they were losing.

Most of the groups I've DM'd for had at least two or three guys who would flee the second another player dies.
>>
>>52877126
We've had close to 100 tpks over the yeas.

We just reroll. A couple times we've brought a pc back from the dead.

Most of our party wipes are under lv5, and under lv5's shouldn't ever be brought back from the dead.
>>
>>52877245
Kek I never saw that happen most parties I DM for have the 'nobody gets left behind' mentality.
They will only run if they can do it together.
>>
Ask your players if they want it to be realist or they prefer you to asspull something to have them revived. Ask too if they want to continue the campaign with different PCs if that makes sense for your story.
>>
>>52877279
Most of my players come from the "realist fantasy" fanbase and this kind of heroic behaviour is for paladin-like characters and maybe lovers.
>>
>>52877155
>>52877200

Eberron did it best, where the only NPC capable of casting resurrection is the loli-pope of Not!Catholicism, and even then she can only cast the spell while in the Not!Vatican.
>>
>>52877279
Same here. If one pc dies...they'll all stay there and die.
>>
>>52877183
>They can reroll a character of same level.
That's dumb, that makes resurrecting people pointless.
>must choose a new race and class.
Obviously done to try a make it less pointless, but still kind of dumb.
>But they lose all items
That's fair.
>>
>>52877332
But lets say they have been traveling and fighting for a very long time now, it should make them care about eachother.
>>
>>52877052
fpbp

I run a game where combat is very lethal and there is no raising of the dead or resurrections. It makes combat a lot more tense, and the players treat alternative means to fighting with a lot more thought and respect.

It also helps to explains why important, rich, and powerful people (like the bbeg) don't just keep coming back forever, and means that assassins are credible threats.

Anyway, to answer the question, I have them start from scratch. If only a few player characters die and the surviving ones are pretty strong I'll usually start them past first level to not have too much disparity, because it wouldn't make much sense for these people to want to hang out with novices and scrubs.

Players will occasionally get really upset or angry upon losing a character, and I don't try to stop that or calm them down. Usually after some time they're excited about playing their new character.
>>
>>52876954

You mean characters, OP.

...you do mean characters, right, OP?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.