[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me, DM >running a campaign about a human world where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 14

File: 350px-Black_Job_Card.jpg (53KB, 335x383px) Image search: [Google]
350px-Black_Job_Card.jpg
53KB, 335x383px
>be me, DM
>running a campaign about a human world where a race of about 50 beings, named the High Ones (sounds better in my language), who are basically natural-born archmages, hang around in the main continent establishing domains and waging war against each other for influence.
>They see the world like a strategy boardgame and thus usually don't care too much for human lives, though they often take a liking in individuals and are pretty social when it comes to humans.
>They are not supernaturally intelligent, but possess enormous magic power and master shapeshifting to some degree.
>They love cheesy titles such as "The unyielding monarch" or "The Light of the humans"
>I intend to make all of them named characters with a distinct personality

Tell me, /tg/, what kind of interesting High One NPC would you make based on that premise ? It's probably overly ambitious but I think if I can get a few of them I'll be able to get my setting going.

Cont. for examples
>>
>>52868747
>Timer the Ardent Emperor
Bald and most of his skin covered in magic sigils, this one usually take the form of a 3 to 4 meters-tall human, as do most of the high ones. He strongly believes humans are sentient sheep, capable of many things if they have the right shepherds. Therefore, he is one of the few who decided to openly declare himself as ruler of his country, and lives in a castle where he manages most of the human affairs.
He is, however, a coward : believing a high one may one day go rogue and kill one of his "siblings", he created a series of magic signs which would prevent him from ever dying, while robbing him of the ability to directly kill someone. Ever since he didn't hesitate to fight in person in wars against the neighbouring high ones.

This one was created by one of my players, and fitted the setting so well I decided to implement him.
>>
>>52868787
Armonda the Land Roamer

Armonda is an irresponsible warrior who always refused to maintain a domain for more than a few decades, and instead prefers to explore the most hostile landscapes, probably because he dislikes fighting against his brothers. He always has a few humans with him who see him as a leader, remnants of the last kingdom he abandoned due to a military defeat. He is the least gifted in magic there is, but possesses the only artifact of anti-magic known, a black gauntlet that can nullify any spell. He enjoys carrying a ridiculously huge sword, which he can swing only due to a discreet spell.
He used to romance another high one but due to his fickle nature, he never did anything with the relationship.
>>
>>52868747
>Karobor the Scarlet Sun

He is the best example of the colossal ego of the high ones, and actively tries to be considered by the humans of his domain as an all-powerful god. He built a fortress next to a medium city by a lake and tried to make it a metropolis dedicated to his person. Good friend with Timer since he indeed gives a purpose to the humans he rules.
He is not the smartest one by far, and relies on competent humans to keep his not!kingdom running. Those who serve him with the right amount of flattery are usually granted greater magical power, resulting in his land filled with arrogant and oppressive nobles that commoners have no chance to overthrow. The economy, however, strives thanks to the lake and the position of the city in the middle of the continent.
>>
>iora the Grave crusher

Brutal and fairly arrogant, Iora is a female high one who always had an obsession with humans, especially in their strangely short lifespan from her point of view. Because of this she played a lot in graveyards before conquering kingdom became a habit for high ones some centuries ago. Her magic isn't subtle in any way, since she raises hordes of zombies and skeletons to overwhelm the enemy. She can be cunning however, and several times had an ennemy commander assassinated, resurrecting and manipulating his corpse into making strategic mistakes that would lead his troops in traps.
As many others she enjoys war, flattery and entertainment from her (living) human servants, whom she sometimes gifts her magic to, making them rather skilled necromancers.
>>
>Equimar

This one is seen as overly naive by the others since he genuinely cares for his people and forms bonds with them, managing a single city that has grown into a regional power.
He married human women and even has an extensive family that has grown with the centuries. His children however are normal humans, high ones being unable to reproduce except when shapeshifting into humans.
Others tend to leave him be since he is seen as utterly boring, never trying to conquer any land and having little interest for the most common forms of entertainment. His city, Millonda, is nicknamed the White City and has the best agriculture of the known world, as well as some of the happiest citizen.
I'm getting tired of clicking on cars, so now's your turn, elegan/t/gentlemen
>>
File: 1493025046867.jpg (302KB, 1151x1631px) Image search: [Google]
1493025046867.jpg
302KB, 1151x1631px
>>52869032
Found a nice pic to attach to this one, thanks character art thread.
>>
Sunwalker
Living Moon
Irridor Thousand-Claw
Mountainbreaker
Death-of-Joy
Song of Night
Star of the West
Sword of Dawn
King of Beasts
>>
>>52868747
>Terebor, the Golden Hand
With crimson hair and shining golden eyes, this pale skinned high one lavishes himself in fine silks and luxuries whenever and wherever available.
Seeing the power of magic being tame in comparison to the power of money, he has invested heavily in economic means and control of trade routes. Having diplomatic (either friendly or forced via need for trade from entire nations) he protects himself and his various cartels through pacts, treaties, bribes and underhanded politics. Owns several mints and as such most used gold coins have his personal seal on him, to which he is very egotistical about. Has also allied or 'employed' several dragons to lord over his vast fortunes as well as the fortunes as others, seeing Dragons as the ultimate security system for his biggest banks- in order to not anger the dragons by removing gold from their pile he has begun instituting paper currency / notes also..
>>
>>52869410
Lord of War
Sweet Oblivion
Dragon Master
Silk-Clad Arranos
The Fortress that Walks
Bear of Bears
Holy Tsurias
The Pilgrim
Smoke and Ruin
Jeorim Reborn
Sister Frost
Spear Dancer
Gaze of Ba'al
Tears of Despair
>>
>>52869411
Setting doesn't have dragons (yet) but this one fits really great, thanks anon.
Also, High ones are able to give their blood to humans via a ritual that extends their lifespan and allow them to use the same magic, that is very intuitive and not really codified with chants or strictly definite effects. These humans are named "demis" (as un demigods, sounds better in my language). They are treated very differently from a high one to another, Karobor putting them on a pedestal and Equimar seeing them simply as honourable citizen. High blood cannot be inherited.
>>
Yo what language, if it's one I speak I might be able to do some that sound cool translated
>>
>>52869410
>>52869474
Awesome names, I'm saving a lot of them.
>>
>>52869498
French.
High Ones = Les Hauts.
Demis = Semi-hauts (raccourci en "semis")
>>
>>52869510
>French

Sorry, no parlais.

I'll keep them in English, you get to translate on your own :P
>>
File: 1431259996231.jpg (49KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
1431259996231.jpg
49KB, 467x700px
Rava The Dissector

A man equally mage and warrior, he's called The Dissector for a peculiar habit of his. He dissects reality with a magical scalpel, cutting it up and extracting something that only him and his inner circle of servants can see. Afterwards, his servants stitch up the hole. He also wears a cloak which is said to be made of a piece of reality turned inside out.

He's considered to be among the more powerful High Ones, but his schemes tend to be played out over many years, making him appear very laidback or even passive.
>>
>>52869488
Replace dragons with constructs / elementals / spirits of greed / dragon-equivilents I suppose? Or like, constructed dragon-golems
>>
>>52869535
Seems quite awesome to me. Apart from the cloak, what kind of properties do his objects have ?

>>52869525
Thanks for trying anyway. Appreciated.
>>
>>52869562
I was planning on doing that. Consider the guy being implemented.
You rock anon.
>>
Avara the Greedy or Collector
A High One who claims disinterest in the conflicts between others, tries to act as a sort of banker, someone who can guarantee protection of persons and objects. He evens parlays with small human kingdoms or groups, all in exchange for a cut, or for some powerful magic trinket that he can then trade up when someone else needs it.
>>
File: 4vfQOir.jpg (306KB, 800x635px) Image search: [Google]
4vfQOir.jpg
306KB, 800x635px
>>52869535
The scalpel might be able to change shape depending on the situation.

And Rava being known as the Dissector, I imagine that he has a tendency in combat to go for a sudden finishing attack at an impossible angle (him being able to create literal shortcuts, by cutting reality), dissect people right there on the spot.

A no-nonsense guy.
>>
Sevenfold Regret
Storm of Vengeance
Trollspeaker
Maximilien Robespierre
Chaos Actual
Lord of Hope
Life-Merchant
Lightning Spear
Ranger of the Western Marches
The Thing in the Lake
Spirit of Arete
>>
>>52869664
>Maximilien Robespierre
>Nicknamed "The Absolute Madman"
>>
>>52868747
"The one who walks upon the skies"
Cloud palace. Rains down lightning. Fights dragons.
>>
Smoke Master
Fire Underground
Tree of Strange Fruit*
First among Equals
Endless Whisper
Wind of Change
Swift Justice
Blade of Spring
Sandstorm
Voice of Liberty
Golden-haired Arrax
Snakefriend

*google "strange fruit"
>>
>>52869632
A bit similar to >>52869411 but I'll probably mix the two in some way, or maybe make them compete for economic power. Both would be interesting, so thanks a lot.

>>52869660
Noted. The guy fits perfectly, and I personally like the concept a lot. Thanks !
>>
>>52869688
>Maximilien Robespierre

I mean, if you want to be subtle about it, he could be

The Demon Lawyer
Justice Denied
Speaker for the Downtrodden

Depends on how much you like him, I suppose.
>>
>>52869710
I can imagine a nameless king-kind of High One endlessly fighting the equivalent of dragons the setting has. I'm starting to imagine a cool campaign about that.
>>52869776
I wish I had thought about that. You're well-inspired dear anon.
>>
Messeintes the Decadent

Used to be one of the most powerful high ones in terms of influence, but slowly descended into a lazy, lavish ruler after her peak, when several countries used to be under her indirect rule.
Over the decades her disdain for power grew, and she stopped honing her fighting skills to indulge in arts and luxury, waging war only when surges of nostalgia make her wish to get back to a distorted image of the great conqueror she once was.
Has become legendary for her warped paintings, which are said to curse the one she draws on the gigantic canvas she then exposes on the walls of her manor.
>>
Lord of Black Iron
Lady in the Blue Tower
Master with Many Faces
General of Unending Warfare
Magister Militum per Orientem
Priest in Yellow Robes Sprayed with Blood
Mother of Sin
Father of Pride
Mistress of Many Arts
Final Answer
Purple Mystery
The Wolf of the White-Scale Massacre
Truthseeker
>>
What about a pair of friendly rivals?

Sinara the Shaper of Flesh and Izar the Master of Metal. Each of them has set their mind on creating the deadliest thing possible, something that they can call a worthy companion. They are quite similar in their thirst for knowledge and creation but their methods are drastically different.

As the names imply, she believes that nature has given her all the tools and materials she needs and relies on flesh, bone and chitin to shape her armies and behemoths, but also all sorts of things that are useful for her followers. He on the other hand uses steel, glass and stone to create constructs of war. And like his sister gives the many byproducts of his work to his followers to ease their lives.

He lives on/in a mountain with forges that are as large as small towns. She lives in a swamp at the foot of it, filled with strangely grown breeding vats. His city is one great machine. Hers a living organism. But both care little for humans unless they make themselves useful to them, and often use them in experiments to further their research, often ending in gruesome deaths or deformations of the subjects.

The reason for this arms race is a running bet between them who will be the first to build/grow the perfect creature/machine of war. To test it out, they regularly send their armies against each other on a field far off of their cities to avoid collateral damage. By now the whole area is devoid of life, partially glassed, poisonous or constantly burning, remnants of corpses and pieces of metal strewn around.

But they never attack each others city, lest it would sully their deal and they actually like each other. As such, if one of them gets attacked, the other rushes to aid. Together, their armies are the deadliest force in the world and if they wished, they could conquer most of it, unless the other High Ones unite to fight them back, but they don't really care to do so if they can instead watch how their toys tear each other apart.
>>
>>52870348
What would you imagine for "Final Answer" ?
Most of these names are really good, I believe I can use most of them either to create new high ones or as secondary titles for already existing high ones.

>>52870370
You're the best, anon. Those two will definitely appear in their neverending war.

Now let me add another element to the setting. Let's imagine a being starts to threaten the High Ones and raises an army of humans to conquer their land. How do these two react when the armies are at their door ?
>>
Halochor the Contrived.
Somewhat of an aloof person by nature, she finds more of a fascination in the wilds and biology than she does in humanity. For a time she roamed the lands, drinking in natural beauty and attempting to recreate it herself, through forced molding of earth and nature. Her domain is wild and secluded, and striking in its outlandish and creative landscaping. She believes her art to be the most remarkable among her siblings, and has a sense of superiority, thinking their squables over territory and men to be meaningless.
She is a very mischievous and cruel High One at times, the sort that is like to play tricks on humans who wander across her path, simply for her own amusement. She particularly enjoys making them believe they are dreaming by showing them such outlanding things that they cannot believe it to be reality.
Legends of creatures spliced from one another mostly originated from her work, things like chimaeras or sphinxes, and she is always trying to concoct new and interesting ways to mash together animals.
She does host a small gathering of people, mostly as muses, some of which she may decide on a whim to get rid of or use in experiments. The majority are those of abstract mind who regard her as a goddess of the arts. Any normal-minded person would think her follower, and her, completely insane and her "art" utter nonsense. Similarly, her siblings feel the same and consider her completely loony.
>>
>>52870634
Another greatly fitting character for the world of the setting.
Would you like to imagine some of the creatures she'd create ?
>>
>>52870855
She's very fond of adding reptilian and avian features to things, because she likes feathers and bright color frills.
She tried slapping wings on a bunch of stuff, but only a few species settled into an equilibrium within local ecologies of their regions and survived extinction. When she creates a new species, she does so in a bit of an obsessive fury, spawning hundreds to see just how they will interact, and delighting in the natural order of survival.
Some of her most easily recognizeable are very large lizards with bright red, orange, or purple ridges of feathers along their spines and leg joints, lions with numerous snake-headed tails that are venomous, crows with small antlers (which tend to become adorned with all manner of shiny trinkets and baubles), rabbits with paws and eyes like a cat's for digging or climbing trees, watersnakes with a pair of wings set right behind their eyes and help propel their coiled strikes, bears with odd scaley fur that can change color like a chameleon (but don't seem to particularly make use of it, being bears and all), and foxes with peculiarly shaped legs like a frog's that allow them to jump even further while hunting or fleeing from predators, but make running steadily very awkward.
They all also feature intricate patterns or shapes across their scales, fur, or feathers, and are all brightly colorful, sometimes very out of place in their home environments.
>>
>>52871261
Now I'm starting to like the idea more and more. The campaign will definitely swing by her garden.
What about plants or human experiments that you mentioned ?
>>
File: 1485305987939.jpg (124KB, 850x680px) Image search: [Google]
1485305987939.jpg
124KB, 850x680px
>>52868747

The World Shaper.

He cares little for humans at all, and sees the other High Ones as a nuisance. All he cares about is terraforming local lands as art. He randomly travels around the globe looking for a 'good spot' and then creates bizzare landscapes. One is a a huge cylindrical tower of earth that has a vertical forest growing up its outsides, and it reaches up into a perpetual foggy cloud above. There are legends of some great treasure or paradise at the top, but none have ever reached it. Some say there some humans who have made villages in some of the trees. Simply one of the hundreds of terrain 'masterpieces' he has created. He does not take kindly when others interfere with his work or damage his art pieces.
>>
>>52871382
Plants she mostly uses as a tapestry for landscaping, architecture or ornamentation. Many of the flowers she invents truly are beautiful, some species actually bearing uniquely shaped and delicious fruits.
There are willows that drape with rows of dark red flowers from branch to tip, the petals of which are spaded and have a leathery thick texture. There are vines that grow thick like hardwood into lattaces on their own and are very sturdy, each plant forming its own unique shape, unlike any other, and as it ages the intricacies become more pronounced so the oldest of these vines is viewed as one would a finely-aged wine, its value is its age and unique subtleties. The fruits of some plants are not edible, and only meant for their forms or beauty, like one that has seed pods that are hard as stone and transluscent and there are thousands to a tree and catch light in brilliant ways.
Or aquatic plant life, stealing ocean biology and putting it in clear freshwater ponds is another thing she messes with, making mountain lakes with vast arrays of choral and seaweeds that flower as plants above water would.
Most of the plant life is less "absurd" than her animal creations.
Her human experiments result in races with animal and human qualities. Large men and women with buffalo horns that continue growing larger and heavier as they age, until eventually they are unable to move from the weight and are elevated culturally to village sages for the years they live, having their enormous curling horns propped up with wood scaffolds or stones. Or a race of gilled and webbed footed people, with tongues like frogs who live in the coves behind waterfalls and "catch" fish that fall down through the mists with their tongues (or simply dive for them).
Her other forays into things like harpies or merfolk may have gone extinct, but no one really knows.
>>
>>52868747

You mean...Like Exalted?
>>
>>52871712
Today, in anons that deserve a medal, I give you this fellow.
There's barely anything I won't shamelessly take.
>>52871721
Similar in appearance, but I had never heard of it. The cosmology and the general Idea are very different too.
but fuck you scared me with the idea that it was already done
>>52871443
Awesome ideas keep spawning one after another. Thanks to you too anon.
>>
File: 1485299625940.jpg (319KB, 750x984px) Image search: [Google]
1485299625940.jpg
319KB, 750x984px
>>52871888

>Awesome ideas keep spawning one after another. Thanks to you too anon.

Happy to contribute. Best of luck with your setting.
>>
>>52868747
The Cheesemancer of Avagantamos

Given a stupid title because of his ability to influence animals growth and health through magical means. Unfortunately the only animals around where he lives are livestock and thus all he really ever gets to do is create a massive amount of cheese.
>>
>>52871888
For the buffalo race, once their horns get too heavy to move, they don't live more than a years, due to atrophy, but should one of them decide to cut off their horns to retain their freedom, such an act is considered cultural suicide, and they are exiled, but usually live much much longer lives.

Also, glad I could help and I hope your campaign is great. I've never run one but always wanted to with an original world I am slowly working on, so thinking about these kinds of things is awesome and gives me ideas for my own too!
>>
>>52872072
>tfw economic powerhouse due to best benefits from livestock
>He'd rather be poor than have that stupid nickname

Taken for light-hearted campaigns (or maybe a powerful demi NPC).
I predict laughter. Thanks to you too.
>>
>>52872129
Your ideas have been great so far anon, I don't doubt you'll have an awesome setting.
I'd be glad to help you build your world, don't hesitate to make a thread or even discuss it in this one.
>>
>>52870570
Final Answer is a High One that has not been seen since the first High Ones came. He was a great conquerer, making entire realms submit to him and his roving bands of demis.
Then something shifted in his mind and he began to scream, endlessly, ranting at the same time from a second mouth about the end to the wrongness of all things. After a brief war, he was sealed away in a vault on the moon, and there he remains, the Final Answer to when this world succeeds in the inevitable rebellion...
>>
>>52873219
that's pretty neat.
I'm keeping the idea.
>>
>>52873428
Well, I'm stealing your idea too. I habitually world build out of boredom, and changing your high ones into a worlds gods (from elsewhere, obviously) is just too good to pass up.
>>
>>52868747
>Evrard The Shepherd
The only one of the bunch who doesn't have an enormous ego. Evrard has never had any lust for power or conquest. Evrard wants a quiet life.
He lives alone, on a small cabin on the hill, with his sheeps. He grows his own food, drinks the water of his own well, enjoy his own company.
Unless his quiet existence is threatened, he never make use of his arcanic powers. In fact, his closest neighbors have no idea that he could erase them from existence on a whim. Only those of his kind know of his existence, but they do not disturb him. In fact, so far the village he lives in has been avoided by all armies that passed by, except for one, dreadful occasion. No one has disturbed Evrard ever since.
He just wants a quiet life.
>>
Xanther the Great Incandescent

A kind of pyromaniac High one that, like many of his siblings, tends to be a loner. However, contrary to others, he felt pain from that loneliness and seeked company that would fit his horrible temper.
Using his fire-based magic, he created his own family in the form of six of his children, Ember, Cinder, Arson, Flame, Torchlight, Redheart, each being at the same time his personal guard and the closest thing he has to loved ones.
With his children, he roams the country, occasionall pillaging a village, but avoiding fighting his siblings out of fear of losing his only creations.
>>
>>52873564
>changing your high ones into a worlds gods

Oh yeah no I'm 100% using all the names I came up with as gods in my own campaign
>>
>>52873564
Go ahead, I'm happy to provide good settings to people.
One of these days I'll end the novel I'm witing in this universe.

>>52873576
I'm a sucker for that kind of character.
Already had one who was not unlike this one, but I'm thinking of merging the concepts.
>>
Vertagon the unseen

After his citizens tried to overthrow him he became extremely paranoid and retreated to his castle on a hill overlooking his city state. It is believed that he has never left his palace since, because no one has seen him after the revolt. The city is instead ruled by his advisor, who gets his instructions directly from Vertagon.
In truth however, Vertagon is now closer to his citizens than ever before, since he uses his shadow magic and shapeshifting abilities to wander undetected amongst his citizens. He learned of their great distrust towards him and their longing for a revolution.
Thus Vertagon, under a secret identity, started the militia group "the golden dawn", who are fighting against Vertagon's rule but unbeknownst to them led by their very enemy.
By leading both the "state" governed by his servants and the revolutanaries, governed by himself, Vertagon ensures his rule over his people, while still leaving them hope in the form of "the golden dawn".

Tl;dr
Basically a manipulator leading both his forces and his enemies to make sure he isn't overthrown
>>
Siam Of Uncanny Shenaniganry

A total trickster whose magic involves absurd luck and coincidence. Things he says as jest in some way end up become reality, and he likes meting out his own brand of justice with ironic fates for those he deems deserving. He very often poses as just a normal man, living an honest life, while cleverly pulling strings with his magic to make the most ridiculous things happen.
He is constantly playing pranks and attempting to undermine his brother's and sister's conquests, seeing them as a game to play with for his bemusement. He is a very curious fellow too, and investigates anything which piques his interest, in an almost childlike fashion, but with all the cleverness of someone who has had far too long to think about ways to mess with people.
He delighs in playing on people's expectations of a situation. He also holds grudges for a very long time if he feels he is being treated with ill intent, dispite being always being a joker (most often at other's expenses) himself.
Because of his ability with subterfuge, if he ever had reason to join in his siblings' rivalries, he would be a very dangerous and formidable opponent, but it is unlikely that would happen without some deep personal affront occuring.
>>
Gallipoli Hubris, the Gluttonous

A morbidly obese man, his weight far beyond what a normal human body can support without collapsing. He is usually carried around by at least 18 good men in a massive palanquin.
To say that he is "gluttonous" would be an understatement. He is also sinful in every possible way. His domain is entirely built around his own amusement. He offer his people gladiator games, olympics, and feasts every now and then. In this way, he diverts their attention, and stay in power.
>>
>>52873888
Awesome and extraordinarily well-fitting at the same time.
I'm going to have to extend the map of the continent to fit all these great fellows and I love it

>>52874148
Definitely funny and interesting. Any example of tricks he could have pulled on other high ones ?

>>52874296
I could work with that, though I'd try to give him some feats of sorts. Still a nice idea though.
>>
>>52870348
The General of Unending Warfare is, like most of his kind, obsessed. In his case, it is war. Once a compatriot of Final Answer, he also enjoys his fully lethal wargames with Iora, and often buys (as much as the High Ones use something we would recognize as currency) troops from Sinatra and Izar. The relationship is often reciprocal, as his constantly roving army brings fresh materials and effectiveness back to both. If anywhere could be his home base, it would be the lowest slopes between the forges and the swamp.
He has no interest in conquering new lands, preferring to create massive wastelands and graveyards before moving on to the next area with his massive army of disciplined psychopaths.
>>
>>52874338
About Hubris, then :
He might seem like a guy who only care about getting more fat and having a good laugh. But his kins have learned not to underestimate him.
You see, to sustain the appetite of this kind of monarch, you need a powerful state and an awful lot of money. Hubris built both over the centuries. His domain is the most rich in terms of luxury goods and fine foods, and even if everything goes straight to his belly, he make sure that his commoners do not have a worst life than others. Even if his army isn't so great, he can buy his way out of any conflict with his massive fortune. He didn't just create gladiator games because he thought it was so funny, you see. These games actually are a shared pastime, even for the most poor of his people, and a good way to get rid of political opposers. Entering the coliseum is free, and prostitution is legal. He apply "panem and circense" to the maximum, making sure everyone, especially him, is distracted.

+He could also use some form of mind-controlling magic to excite the worst out of his people, to make sure they believe that gladiator games are the funniest and most ethical way of spending the afternoon.
>>
Eon the Skylord

An extremely violent High One who loved war and conquest.
His subjects suffered under his cruel and brutal reign. When the suffering became too much to bare a large portion of the population tried to flee. However, Eon's army comprised of incredibly loyal soldiers slaughtered their fellow people and stopped them from fleeing.
Enraged, Eon channeled all of his energy and lifted his city off the ground.
He now resides in his floating city with no possible escape for his subjects. The only connection to the rest of the world are his former royal guard, who have been transformed into an order of griffin riders. Only the people most loyal to Eon become griffin riders. Their main job is to trade with other states and keep Eon's floating city sustainable, though there are also reports of the griffin riders raiding little towns to gain ressources.

While the other states are happy Eon and the bulk of his army cannot reach them anymore, no one knows under which conditions the people in Eon's flying city have to life. Thus horrific tales about griffin riders abducting common folks and bringing them to the floating city to work as slaves have developed. And nobody knows how much truth there is to these tales...
>>
The Red Menace, Ram, That Bastard or simply Why?!!!

Most of the time looks like a muscular humanoid with golden hair and blue eyes clad in red clothes. Rarely wears armor or uses weapons.
As far as anyone knows he doesn't care much about land, wealth and even comfort. What he cares about is things that are impossible or seemingly impossible to achieve no matter how much power you throw at them. One of his pet projects is finding a human capable to take on High Ones and win. For that purpose he alienated at least half of continent against himself. While he rarely kills due to anyone potentially being the one he looks for the trail of destruction that he leaves in his wake is long and pretty impressive. He got nickname Ram after smashing gates of a castle with his forehead.
Overall he is an annoying, grating and unpleasant individual that can show up at any place and make everything worse. Even if you think that it can't be any worse he'll grin and show you how it is done.
Getting wrapped up in one of his projects is a sure way to an early grave or an insane asylum. Unless you'll become strong enough to beat him.
>>
>>52874521
The relations between the high ones are probably the thing I enjoy writing the most.
Once I find a first ame I'll implement him. I really like the concept.
>>52874669
Fleshes out the character a bit, that's pretty neat.
I also would have imagined that he used the massive amount of food he consumes as a means of stockpiling energy, making him a way scarier foe than his appearance would make one believe. It would make him the High One with the greatest amount of magical energy at his disposal.
>>52874990
Absolutely great. I have no truly "always warring characters" apart from Iora, and this one's really neat. I'm taking it.

>>52875368
Very, very good. It's the best character possible for the way the setting will turn. Posting how it will be evolving in in a few minutes.

Thanks to all anons for awesome ideas !
>>
Though the world is based around a domination, more or less discreet, of the high ones, I mostly intend to challenge them with the rise of a monotheistic religion founded by a man named "the Saint".
What happens is that, basically, a man with extraordinary natural abilities is born in a regular village, and, while still young, starts to think based on the examples he knows that the High Ones should be driven out of human territory. Though he would be able to assassinate several by himself, he wouldn't be able to face several of them alone, and thus creates a church bent on letting humans live freely and in peace, through war against the unfair rulers of men.
I intend to make him die halfway through his project at age 33, but still having severely crippled the side of the high ones, killing Messeintes, Equimar, Iora as well as several others that I haven't named in this thread in the process.
This event, spanning around two decades, triggers the rise of Armonda as leader of his kin and between a third and half the humans of the continent, crowned by several of his siblings.

I was interested in how the high ones would react to this event, after suffering heavy losses and being forced to overcome their selfish and lonely nature... or not, and embrace their fall at the hands of the Humans.
>>
The Wandering Doll-maker
A high one that travels with his mobile workshop searching for the means to create a construct with true life. The doll-maker's workshop is a construct itself that senses it's master's location and slowly plods along following him. Think the luggage from Terry Pratchet's Discworld but the size of a small house and considerably slower. It's much larger on the inside and has been known to perform amazing feats in order to catch up with its owner. Whilst he has a small army of construct servitors and spies his true pride is his failed, but increasingly sophisticated, attempts to create artificial life. These are the only constructs that he treats as his children. The doll-maker educates and raises his children like any parent with overly ambitious plans for his kids that they inevitably can't live up to and eventually becomes disapointed in them and tries to create a more sophisticated life-like model. He often sends his children on errands and adventures hoping that new experiences will force them to develop personalities but his experiments have been failures this far. He is a master of clockwork, metallurgy, alchemy, and is a a dabbler in almost every other crafting discipline. His creations are beautiful in an otherworldly and ethereal sense often having well crafted porcelain faces or wooden frames. Some are more human-like with false flesh but their faces usually fall short of convincing. Constructs other than his children get considerably less care in their construction and are usually constructed for a certain purpose such as defense or spying, or occasionally to be sold to other high ones or to human countries as war machines. Many of these are still beautiful in a minimalist sense. It's thought that the wandering doll-maker began his quest in an effort to revive a deceased loved one or child. However in the centuries since he began his quest he seems to have changed his goal to creation of new life.
>>
>>52868747
No idea, I just wanted to let you know that "High Ones" sounds just fine. This ever escalating arms race of "epic" or "serious" names for stuff needs to end. At a certain point, it's just stilted and ridiculous when your plot lynch is something like "Myshjirdna, the Death of Ten-Thousand Stars Culminates unto Him" or some shit. There is sensation of mystery and awe in understatement sometimes.
>>
How about
the father and mother of a thousand mages
>>
>>52877887
One of my favourite characters so far. I like having even the mighty and fearful rulers to have an emotional backstory, especially when it doesn't tell too much.
It's mysterious and subtle, honestly I love it.

>>52878176

Thanks mate. Most of the names I use for concepts are simple because of the reasons you cited (High Ones, the Saint, the Beasts of the Forest), I was only worried about how it sounded when translated into English.
>>
File: 980_342404734.jpg (82KB, 980x360px) Image search: [Google]
980_342404734.jpg
82KB, 980x360px
>>52868747
Sounds vaguely familiar.
>>
>>52878176
I like the K6BD style names: it especially works well with a culture that focuses on formality and the idea of you are your name.
>Mysh Jirdna, The Culmination Of Ten Thousand Sacrificed Stars
I fixes that name into something more reasonably over the top.
>>
For info's sake do the high ones reproduce? Is there always a small number of them or could they in theory overpopulate? How long do they live? Do they ever shack up?
>>
>>52878548
Thanks. It also gives room for plenty of npcs in the form of his creations. I imagine that the newer ones are close to human, and probably can pass for an autistic human if not examined too closely. They are trying to develop free will, though, frustratingly, only because their master told them to. He would probably be thrilled if one of his creations were able to defy him.
>>
Ruler of the shattered Earth.

More of a brute than the other high ones, he tends to specialise in Magic that focuses on dominating the very ground beneath us, He was given the title for decimating his own kingdom with earthquakes that would shatter villages, castles and even mountains.
>>
>>52868747
Sylvaria the Riveting Seamstress

It's not sexist to think that the first thing most women or flamboyant gay men would do the moment they were all powerfully magical is use said magic to create jaw dropping fashion designs for themselves. Espescially if they were as inherently light hearted as your arch mages seem to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCUa9pKLcs
>>
>>52875808
You mention the importance of an emotional backstory, and I realised my suggestion has nothing that implies a personality so here goes.

>>52869535
>Rava The Dissector
>A man equally mage and warrior, he's called The Dissector for a peculiar habit of his. He dissects reality with a magical scalpel, cutting it up and extracting something that only him and his inner circle of servants can see. Afterwards, his servants stitch up the hole. He also wears a cloak which is said to be made of a piece of reality turned inside out.
He is booksmart and streetwise. Perhaps in his youth, he wasn't as fortunate as most other High Ones - a street urchin living off pickpocketing and backalley knife fights. His interest in dissecting reality points to a desire for esoteric and metaphysical knowledge. He is perhaps still trying to escape the past by trying to go beyond their world.
>He's considered to be among the more powerful High Ones, but his schemes tend to be played out over many years, making him appear very laidback or even passive.
What others might see as weakness or absentmindness is considered patience and preparation in Rava's eyes.

>>52869660
>The scalpel might be able to change shape depending on the situation.
>And Rava being known as the Dissector, I imagine that he has a tendency in combat to go for a sudden finishing attack at an impossible angle (him being able to create literal shortcuts, by cutting reality), dissect people right there on the spot.
>A no-nonsense guy.
Rava has good combat skills, and powerful spatial and shapeshifting magic to supplement it. But he takes no enjoyment out of fights. It is a last resort, violent and deadly.

So here we have a character obsessed with mobility and progress. Social mobility, intellectual growth, and spatial mobility. We can see why he might be among the most powerful High Ones, but we can also see that what makes him so powerful, also isolates him from other High Ones. And humans too. And the world itself.
>>
File: tillinghast_hutchinson1860.jpg (224KB, 731x960px) Image search: [Google]
tillinghast_hutchinson1860.jpg
224KB, 731x960px
>>52882682
In short tropes, basically a mix of Oliver Twist, Griffith, Papillon and dr. Crawfort Tillinghast.
>>
>>52872184
Hooray for 30 second before leaving for work ideas.
>>
>>52869510
Are you leaf or frog?
>Les Hauts
Not meant to offend, but it's pretty weak even compared to its English equivalent...
Maybe try "Les Eleves" (Risen)?
>>
>>52884537
There's a lot to be said for a short and punchy title. It tells you how large they loom in the setting and the lives of the people who have to live in it, that their name is an everyday word.

Running a campaign like this in English I'd probably just call them the Lords. And I might actually steal your idea, OP, because it's a neat concept.
>>
File: Dagger.jpg (3KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
Dagger.jpg
3KB, 284x177px
>>52868747
Kremith the Reaver
Appearance: Kremith appears as a faceless, genderless 6' human body. It's skin is translucent and it's organs and blood can be seen by the naked eye.

Fighting style: Kremith is a master of illusion magic and silent assassination. Wide variety of stealth enhancing and perception manipulating spells while using daggers to actually harm targets. Will usually run from a fight if spotted before launching an ambush to plan a new approach.

It is obsessed with "the perfect kill" where the targets die without ever realising they were in danger. The only pattern of targets is that every victim had good security. In every appearance it is seen wielding an simple iron dagger with a stylized skull carved into the handle. These daggers are left stabbed into the corpse of it's victim and the sign that kremith was the killer.

Reavers - Human Followers: Kremith has never been known to speak to humans or high ones, however he does choose followers known to the world as Reavers. These humans are the most skilled assassins in the world. Those who complete a skilled kill of a target will sometimes wake the next day with a pair of 'reaver' daggers lying on their chest. These daggers are simple iron marked with a skull. Their wielder is gifted with nightvision, muffled movement, superhuman reflexes, and are nearly invisible when moving through darkness or shadow. These abilities become stronger the more kills a reaver performs. If a dagger is lost or broken that human is shortly found dead. Any follower who goes after 'easy' kills eventually is also found dead.
>>
Sigmund, the Father
Sigmund is incredibly religious. He uses the religion he founded to conquer and unite many peoples. His warriors fight more fiercly than those of other kingdoms because they fight for their very souls. It is likely he holds the largest kingdom since historically religion was the glue of civilization.
Alternatively he could be a monk that simply cares about spreading the tenets of his religion through travel and miracles.
>>
>>52880924
>>52880924
They are unable to reproduce unless they shapeshift into another species, but then their descendents will be from that species and won't have any high one trait.
For the ~1000 years they had been around, none of them had died, so they weren't bothered by the idea of disappearing.
They are immortal in the elvish sense. The first to die was killed by the Saint.
>>
>>52868747
Here's an idea:

>Varekor, the Ravager/Destroyer/Sunderer
Varekor gas a pathological hatred of other High Ones. He hate hate hates them- perhaps he was betrayed, or shunned, or something happened to make him this way, but he's made it his life's goal to hunt down other High Ones and kill them.

e h Instead of focusing all of his power on having a proper domain, he roams from place to place keeping only his accrued personal power to crush defenses, destroy supply lines, that kind of thing. He shapeshifts nearly constantly and eternally, usually in the form of large monsters or otherwise dominant creatures. One day he's a horned, muscled beastman, the next he's a giant lizard with scales so thick that only the sharpest blades and strongest spells can pierce through, and the third he's an enormous, winged bat/manta ray cross creature.

Now and then, when he comes across a hunter or human adventurer of some kind, Varekor gives them a 'test'. Usually by giving a token attempt to kill the human. If the human survives, Varekor offers them power in exchange for servitude. Though sometimes he'll make the offer without making a test of some kind, usually if he notices a human fighting against impossible odds.

The 'power' he gives them is that he uses his magic and experience with monsters to shapeshift them into a much more impressive shape- such as dragons, monsters, or even just making them a 'perfect' human with the strength of ten men and reflexes as fast as a snakebite. Then he uses them as weapons against the other High Ones.

Oh, and if they reject the offer, he'll usually give them a slight hint of power anyway. Not a lot, but he'll make them more fit, a bit stronger, that kind of thing. Though he always sets them up for sabotage somehow, just in case they end up subservient to another High One somehow. Something like coiling a familiar around their hearts.
>>
>>52881232
Neat concept, I hadn't thought about it. May be the inspiration for a country the PC could go through.
I keep him. Thanks !

>>52881342
It's not sexist and it's pretty on-point. It's part of their entertainment. I intend to merge her with another character that I have simply named "the dancer", though your name's probably the one I'll keep.

>>52882682
Don't worry, your character was fine. I imagined him bitter and enraged in fights, but yet being calm when needed and indeed very intelligent while also having an ulterior motive.
Though what you added was by no means bad.

>>52884537
Frog. My players said "Hauts" was fine, and fitted the way the world was built. Risen would imply they were once weaker, or even humans, when actually it's not the case. But suggestions are appreciated.

>>52884733
Go ahead. As long as I can get around writing the novels I plan before someone else gets he idea.
Being copied is the best compliment anyway, so thx.
>>
>>52885475
Neat character, has its particularities without being gimmick. I like its features (faceless and genderless, smaller than the average high ones), so definitely implemented.

>>52885673
The idea isn't bad by any means, but unfortunately gods aren't known in the universe, and high ones have exterminated almost all form of religion since they appeared, as they see themselves as being the only thing above needed by humans.
The one who brings religion and miracles to humans will be the Saint of Men, and I based his character around the idea that the high ones don't understand his power or even motives.

>>52887378
Great idea, I don't know what to say, it's perfect.

>tfw my setting will be made of at least half High Ones made by anons
>and everything went better than expected
>>
>>52887642
I also envision Varekor using his powers- since he focuses on shapeshifting and 'transmutation'- to cripple certain High One's minions and have his own minions take their place, looking and acting exactly like them, ready to explode into monstrosities whenever the High One lowers their guard.

I figure that something like werewolves would be Varekor's work, as would certain races of intelligent monsters- they're entire communities of his formerly-human minions, completely transformed and reshaped. He's got clans of monstrosities or orcs or goblins hiding in the forests, who have worshipped him as their creator for generations.
>>
>>52887990
I don't know if adding goblins and orcs would be wise, but I'd greatly enjoy being able to add a lot of monstruosities to the world - and that gives humans all the more reasons to try and overthrow the high ones.
The guy is definitely added.
>>
>Merry Mad Monarch of the Nation of Nothing

Has long since lost his marbles to senility and forgetfulness. Fortunately, his last clear memory seems to have been a good one, since he seems to always be in a cheery mood. He believes himself a king, but he has no subjects. Too bad his memory doesn't last long enough to realize it.

>My many marvelous subjects surely stay busy as bees to bestow bounty upon our glorious, glamorous, and guilded nation of nobles!

He also has a thing for alliteration.
>>
>>52888392
I'd love to imagine him as having brief outbursts of sanity that make him look like this is all an act.
A bit like Hannibal in Drifters.
>>
Menkvar the Ruined Conqueror

Once a great ruler, Menkvar abandoned his kingdom of nomads to explore the farthest lands of the world. For decades he was absent, his people desperately trying to fend of invaders without the help of their lord and most powerful warrior. But he wouldn't come back.
Somewhere deep in the West, Menkvar discovered something he would never speak about. When he came back, years after having be seen last, he had changed. Swiftly, he got back to his people, waging a quick and extraordinarily efficient war against Iora and Rava who had taken his land. Aided by the mighty horsemen of the tribes he led, he began to storm every country south of his, claiming he would unify the land for a greater purpose, against a terrifying menace.
For one of the few times in history, he created an alliance between High Ones. Two alliances even, several choosing to fight against the one who wished to take away their power.
His mistake was to interfere in the war between Izar and Sinara. The crushing defeat he suffered at the hands of the siblings left an opening in his strategy, allowing Armonda to strike him down.
Eternally wounded by the anti-magic gauntlet, Menkvar is stuck in a neverending agony, barely able to heal himself from the wound, still open after centuries. Never leaving his crumbling castle held together by the descendants of humans who followed him in his dream, he laments about not being able to save a divided world he only wished to protect.
>>
You better make a followup thread when you finish the setting/run a game in it.
>>
>>52887378
I image he is pretty psychologically fucked up. If he wants to kill fellow High Ones, that means he has been trying for 1000 years - and failing for 1000 years.

That can't be healthy.
>>
>>52889907
I made about three sessions in the prototype of the setting that mostly featured Iora, Armonda and another one I haven't posted yet.
The players were a human slave of Iora, a necromancer and a hunter secretly serving Karobor and had to find Armonda in the forest of a country in the middle of a war.
If you want I can greentext it when I come back from work.
>>
Toké the Glutton.

Toké is looked down upon by most of the other high ones. He lives for eating. For some reason he has chosen to take the form of a 3 meter tall and heavily obese human. He rules over a small country, but he spends most of his time consuming various dishes which his many servants prepare for him with the magic that he bestows upon them.
Many seek to dine with Toké because of the culinary experiences that he offers, and the stories he tell of old times.
This is why many of the high ones dislike him. He has a habit of revealing the oldest secrets of the high ones when he dines with guests.
However, many have tried to kill Toké, especially through poisoning, but without any results. Some suspect that this is because of the magically prepared food which he eats. Consuming large quantities of magiv everyday has essentially made him almost immortal.
>>
>>52890077
He's a good addition to the glutton made by that other anon.
I hadn't thought about a high one hated for revealing old secrets, that's actually a very good plot point, and surprisingly fits the glutton trope.
I'm saving another cool character, thanks anon.
>>
>>52889928
His pathological hatred can be more recent (he could have been isolated for the best part of the first centuries and discovering he had siblings later on).
Also, he could not want to cross the line and only fuck up their kingdoms and creations, though I admit it'd be a bit strange to let one go if he had the opportunity.
I'm also thinking it'd be very difficult to kill magic beings so powerful that would have many ways to regenerate.
>>
>>52890251
Talking about how difficult it would be to kill a High One, I just had a shower idea of some really fucking evil conqueror type High One that got "dissected" by Rava, and now he's basically a sentient tub of blood and organs being carried around by his servants, running a formerly great empire controlled through telepathic powers. He's still trying to find some pieces of his body that Rava scattered across the land. It's whispered that his bodyparts allow for normal humans to gain special powers. Of course, if he finds out that you're using one of his bodyparts, and knows your location, you just became another telepathic mind-slave in his network.

Might be able to combine it with a High One that didn't exactly get "fleshed out"... Get it... *wink*
>>
>>52890356
Honestly I won't need to combine it, it's already a very interesting concept for a character.
I'm thinking of having him losing some ribs (due to reality shortcuts), a hand, a finger, and an eye, and having them act as rings of power from Lotr, rather than a sentient tube.

That would give the man a bit more... Backbone *wink*
>>
Fraid the dark wanderer

Fraid above all loves drama, he shapeshiftes often and in strange forms filled vague symbolism, the only recurring factors are some sort of cutting implement and a general air of dessication, examples include a filthy and ragged barber with a rusty shaving knife, a near death starving horse with a broken longsword clenched in his teeth, a statue of a saint worn away into a ghoulish figure or a field of the intermingled corpses of soldiers, speaking in unison.

Fraid will often target important or well loved humans, he has no land of his own and instead sneaks about in the wilds and in the lands of the other high ones, common targets consist of prettiest girl in town, the sickly son of the king, the well-loved priest, he'll send death threats in the form of some sort of prophecy or insane messenger, sometimes he'll act as an obstacle on a hero's quest or journey., "answer my riddles three, should you win i shall let you pass, should you fail i shall eat your brain." or the likes.
>>
>>52890589
I'm a sucker for a drama-loving High One, this one is great.
It's also something I lack, which is non-entirely human high ones.
My only question is what would his motivation be, and if he'd only ever act as a living adventure for loved people ?
>>
>>52890765
maybe he's disconected from the world? he's always been a brooder and after thinking about the world too much he'd more or less begun to disregard all life and death, instead he just follows his passion for drama, people arent people to him, just characters in a scene or a book. including himself ofcourse, he's utterly lacking in a deep personality and instead just models himself after whatever night-terror or enemy-archetype strikes his fancy.

or maybe something like he feels that all humans and high ones (all sentients) have something at thier very core in common, and by re-creating certain scenes or situations he feels he gains greater insight into thier "hearts"

either way his thought process has been warped by time and too much thought, he believes all truth is subjective and therefore follows only his own truth, he's disconnected from the world and acts mostly on whim rather than reasons or any defined goal.
>>
>>52890765
cont. and while he mostly acts as a "living adventure" he believes adventure and the likes is something that just happens, he primarily lives an antagonistic role because that's what he enjoys playing most, he might reluctantly even give aid should the "hero" manage to trick or seduce him with whatever mock "goal" he has at the time.
>>
>>52890589
>>52890765
>>52891018
Maybe he's just looking for something beyond what is now.

Fraid could try to find something that radically changes the world. He might try to find some experience, a saying, a story, an event or a person that uplifts him or even the entire world to an unknown level or place.
>>
>>52891018
>>52891066
That actually makes quite a great character. I'm starting to think of ways for the players to guess that the scenery they see or the demon that seems to be haunting them is actually a playful High One.
I'm saving him anyway. Now it's official, more than half of my high ones are from /tg/. Thanks guys
>>
>>52891224
Meant to add >>52891134
>>
>>52869776
I believe you are referring to "The Incorruptible."
>>
>>52892788
How would a High One act incorruptible ?
>>
>>52892854
remain steadfast to his/her ideal and morals whatever they are, not letting them loosen over the ages.

ofcourse technically if you start out as a gluttous man-eating destruction obsessed tyrant then you're still incorruptible as long as you dont get any better.

so in order for "the incorruptible" to be your most remarkable trait you'd probably need to have some high morals in order to deserve such a title.
>>
>>52893042
Then it'd be fun to have him getting morals and ideals that seem uncanny or even somewhat inhuman morals for the time.
For example, forbidding death penalty, leading to thousands of prisoners having the worst living conditions on the planet.
>>
>>52893336
maybe he could keep a book with him, "the book of law" where he records all possible crimes in every possible situation, each with its own assigned punishment, everytime he has to judge a crime he consults this book, using either the previously assigned punishment or writing down the crime and assigning a punishment according to his own reasoning.

originaly he'd start out as a fair and just ruler but eventually he'd become obsessed with fairness punishing each crime with the exact punishment detailed in "the book of law",

ironically the incorruptible would be corrupted by following the letter of his law, rather than the spirit of it. starting out as a fair ruler but refusing to budge on his outdated and foreign ideals in fear of letting his morals slack and going down a slippery slope.
>>
I like this thread
>>
>>52893772
I really like the idea of the book slowly corrupting his vision of justice. I like him.
>>
idk if someone asked already OP, but can you tell us a little bit about the characters if they're already made, and eventually the players ? Just curious
>>
>>52896924
There was Pinwheel, a slave of Iora that absolutel sucked at everything but managed to win the first campaign alone through amazing player smartness and a great amount of luck.
Valyrie Kain, the necromancer, purposely overpowered compared to other characters. The player was pretty smart too so he didn't abuse his powers, and acted as the fragile powerhouse of the 3-man team. Died at the hands of pinwheel in a memorable battle that I'll probably write one day.
Other characters are in the making, but the player of Valyrie will make some kind of plague wizard, that is trying to poison a country to force the Saint to either die or surrender.
>>
>>52896924
>>52897126
About the players, they're close friends with whom I play a lot, and most of the game revolves around schenanigans and politics rather than combat.
More details tomorrow if the thread is still alive, gotta go to sleep.
>>
>>52893772

he could have various "stages" to his life, the early stage where he is a well loved and just king.

the early middle stage where his ideals have become outdated and he has become unintentional harsh to his now changed people, the late middle stage where people outright flee and avoid him in fear of breaking some arbitrary and strange outdated law.

and then the last stage, where he realizes what has happened to him and how far his ideals have really twisted, and he either becomes absorbed into his book (figuratively) and lives only for the book and its rules. or he lies down and waits for the world to end, unthinking, maybe he slowly turns to stone and the players encounter him, getting a chance to talk to the vacuous remains of Maximilien "the incorruptible".

alternatively he continues with his justice and his mind becomes so obsessed with his rules and his book that he begins to act his whole life according to the book, his mind more of an automaton than a thinking being.

any of the three stages could be an interesting encounter, or perhaps even have his kindom lay in a zone where time is different that allows the pc's to encounter him at all stages.
like the kingdom is in looping "time bubble" where time goes faster, the pc's enter, encounter Maximilien, leave, enter again and now hundreds of years later, they encounter him in the middle stages
and so on.

alternatively (again), Maximilien is turnt to stone, or mostly turnt to stone and is re-living a summary of his life over and over again in a sort of illusion that the pc's get swept up in, (maybe when traveling through the ruins of the capital of his once-great country) they go to sleep in the ruins, and wake up in a small city at the beginning of Maximilien's rule, every night they go to sleep they wake up a few hundred years later in the illusion.

Ofcourse its your campaign, do what you like, it's just too easy to come up with this shit for me to not spill it.
>>
Hautarchius, the Librarian

Hautarchius is, essentially, a seeker of knowledge. He is a scientist, an explorer, an archaeologist, but more than anything else, a bookworm. He owns the setting's equivalent of the libraries of Alexandria and Bagdad combined, which is so horrifyingly enormous that he had his capital and entire domain built around it, rather than the opposite. Any traveller that enter his city is compelled to bring 1 book with them or the gates will never open. This law has become quite redundant since over 200 years, because Hautarchius already owns most of what the world can offer in terms of literature, and the copies of pre-existing works that adventurers bring end up thrown in the fire. To measure how much he is obsessed with his quest for knowledge, he once moved an entire invasion army because an High One owned a rare edition of a centuries-old scroll that he didn't get his hands on yet.
A surprisingly well-mannered but ruthless leader, he's willing to open his palace to anyone that might bring something interesting.
>>
>>52897273
I'm absolutely fond of the idea of the statue and illusion of the difference stages of his life, something he or other High Ones would have made for him to understand where he went wrong and how he would be able to fix things after centuries of observing himself over and over again.
That's something I'd like for my campaign.
>>
>>52897408
I had a character that I had named Homilcar, The Soulless Archivist, which was a bit similar, except he also had a tendency to make use of that knowledge to lay further plans for power and influence without waging war too often.
Another High One, essential to the story of the world itself is Theophrast the Blood Count, the greatest magician of the known world, notable for spending most of his time studying the most powerful force he knows, the arcanic arts.
I wonder what kind of interesting properties we could give to such bookworms ?
>>
>>52897658
maybe a compulsive need to know everything he has in his books?

his memory is great but he fears forgetting something in a vital moment even if it may seem insignificant, he's constantly reading and re-reading his books and has an army of scolars doing the same, he consults them both to refresh his memory and to re-confirm his knowledge.
>>
>>52897658
He isn't only about knowledge, but also reads all the novels and plays of his collection, even if they have no value. He could have a comedic weak spot for romantic stories.
Often quotes fictional and non-fictional characters in-universe.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 252x200px
>>52868747
>Virelai the Barrier Lord<

Magic: Virelai is the de facto savant of barrier magics, able to weave nigh impenetrable force fields from the ether. He can alter them on a whim, changing shape, size and location.

Fighting Style: Typically one to avoid outright conflict as he considers it beneath him. Fairly easy consisering he can surround himself in an unbreakable sphere of irradescent Magic energy and simply blink away. If truly cornered he will manipulate his barriers for offensive purposes to suffocate or crush combatants in arcane prisons/coffins. Whether he can do this to an entire army has yet to be seen.

Army: The protected. A group of heavily armored knights equipped with shields and flanged maces. Their equipment is enchanted with various weaving a of Virelai's wards. They are eerily silent as they march to war, but are primarily used to defend Virelai's holdings. There are rumors that they are simply animated suits of armor, but none have been confirmed.

Realm: A castle built to be absolutely unsiegable. An entirely self sufficient fortress, populated by hand selected craftsmen, farmers, scholars, soldiers and artists. While Virelai may seem detached toward his subjects, he does harbor a hidden affection for his community. Would take great insult if they were harmed.

Personality: Aloof, logical, cold yet empathetic to meek. Typically could care less as to the other High Ones or the wars of humans. Much of his personality is the result of of his three daughters dying to an illness (or was it?) that swept across his realm a century back. It is said he is obsessed with protection magic because he couldn't protect them.
>>
>>52898051
but what does he Do?

what's his goals? why does he want to do what? does he spend his days lazying around, does he travel around searching for new and creative ways to use his barrier.

has he thrown away his own wants and desires for the sake of protecting the people of his country like he couldnt protect his children? and if so how does he run his country.
does he rule like a monarchy? does he leave them be for the most part? is he glorious leader of proletariat? what? lets flesh this dude out.

anything on his appearance? i'm all for pale horned pseudo-human but it could be something else.

also fuck naruto
i used to like it but now its just a painful reminder of my own weeb phase.
>>
Yrthan Sevenfold

This high one takes the form of a head shaven human covered in tattoos of mathematical formulae. Yrthan is an utter savant of numbers, numerology, mathematics and related logistical issues. He has a cold, extremely logical world view, and seeks to impose a strictly Empirical state of mind on the world around him. His lands are well governed and efficient, but their society is Ridgid to the extreme, and demonstrating superstitious behavior or thinking is a criminal offense as it is considered harmful to the mental state of the populace. A combination of Qin dynasty legalism and maximum fedora.
>>
>>52868747
Velifrax the Vegsimal Vociferator
>>
>>52898793
all architecture is based off of the golden ratio, likewise everything crafted from badges to the shape of the city viewed from a bird's perspective follows this golden ratio, all buildings and objects must be made accodording to the most mathematicaly and numerologisticly pleasing template, deviating from this template either disqualifies the item crafted or results in punishment of the craftsman.

the capitol city surives mostly off of trade, agriculture isnt quite enough to sustain the population (which is always an amount devidable by 5) and schrewd trade for refined goods produced by the city's many craftsmen makes up for the difference.

civilians only celebrate the birthday years corresponding to the prime numbers, the city is advanced enough to have clocks but each counts up to 7 hours and 6 minutes, with the clock denoting at 1 hour 11, one at 2:22, one at 3:33 and so on, until 6:66, a day is devided up into 4 "cyles" which can be waxing and waning, the meaning behind this is unknown to foreigners. a week is made up of 29 of these cycles.
in short, the country has extreme and strange habits based of esoteric mathematical concepts that only really make sence to Yrthan and his citisens, traders can usually stay but foreighners will find the country and its habits far to alien to adapt too.
>>
>>52898660
Many thanks for pushing the idea anon! Love critique. Also, yes fuck naruto, was just a jumping off point.

Government: The Abrbiters - like the US courts with a three tiered system. No other form of government. Common law is the only form of rule making. The two lowest levels are elected by the people, with The High Court only being appointed by him. He has the position of Supreme Chancellor (ability to overrule any judgement). There is no senate etc. damages are strictly restitutionary, and any violent crimes result in permanent excommunication.

Activities: He has grown more and more reclusive, rarely giving opinions anymore. He feverishly hones the barrier, constantly improving it with the desire to expand it over the entirety of his holdings. Some view this as charity, others are worried that this will turn into a prison of sorts. The concept of "protection" could become warped in his head, i.e. grief stricken ideals that become warped with time. Like an overly protective father that gives his children no freedom because he knows best - had he never let his daughter leave they could still be alive...

Appearance: Totally up for suggestions. But something that looks youthful yet aged at the same time. Tired, yet powerful. Obsessed, yet reserved.
>>
>>52899339
the land he rules is surrounded by a barrier, not a large shield, nor an invisible wall, but rather a shifting maze of grey forcefields, the maze changes every so often, there's a pattern but its hard to see, typicaly an inlander is needed to travel through the borders however with each year the maze grows thicker and more intricate, some fear one day it will grow to large and the people will be trapped, virelai refuses to budge on this and always claims it has its reasons., this is the first line of defence, beyond that is a large steppe, empty apart from patches of grey grass and armoured sentinels, attacking everyone who traveles unacompanied by someone carrying a token of citisenship. after this is the land itself which is mostly plains with the occasional forest or lake.

as for his appearance, maybe less static and more fluid? in the sunlight he appears as a pale teenage with baggy dark blue eyes, but in the dark or in unnatural light his appearance shifts like a magic mirror into an old man, covered in wrinkles with skin grey from age, white eyes and white hair give a haunting look. his appearance isnt static between the two but depends on the light level, in direct sunlight he's young but in the shade his older and younger forms almost looks like they're overlapping.
>>
>>52899512
#note, he has to walk across his border in order to lay or change these barriers, his eventual goal is ofcourse to cover his lands in a barrier he can actively change and controll.
>>
File: Discworld_gods[1].jpg (58KB, 515x309px) Image search: [Google]
Discworld_gods[1].jpg
58KB, 515x309px
>>52868747
Each one of them would personify gods, preferably minor gods.
God of migraines, God of cupboards, God of snaky remarks, ect...
where at all possible I'd have them banter with each other over a literal board of the world
>>
Binder of Aeons
Dreamer of All Things
The Master's Master
Supreme Unmaker
Frostbitten Doom
Leviathan Keeper
Keeper of Salt and Tears
Pelth the Humble
>>
>>52899830
am i missing something or are you just dumping names that might form an idea?
>>
File: don't do it.gif (693KB, 320x246px) Image search: [Google]
don't do it.gif
693KB, 320x246px
>>52899512
This is a great idea so the party can still conceivably reach the kingdom. Could make it a puzzle of sorts, to do a non combat session where the party has to graph it out and rely on given information.

My idea is that his character is flexible for the GM. Could be a sympathetic High One that winds up helping the party, could wind up trapping them and turning into an overly lawful protective madman, or it could be a super fun espionage mission into the barrier lands a la don't wake daddy.

As for appearance, that is a super cool idea. I didn't picture him with a fluid appearance because he opposes change - but it could be done much more subtlety according to his mood.
>>
>>52899924
He could perhaps have no control over his shapeshifting. Hell, mentioning him shifting shape is enough to bring out lynchmobs. Like a violent gri
version of The Emperors Clothes.
>>
Some would claim that The High Ones are universally evil, or the very least amoral by human standards. This is a fantastical leap, by any stretch of the imagination, but there is at least one, clear counter example: The Colossus of the Cloudless Nirvana.

When she first emerged, it was said that she descended to madness. Even her kin, ever plotting to turn each other to pawns in their, machinations, wrote her off as a harmless wanderer, stuck in a living purgatory as she wandered from town to muddy town. The Colossus of the Cloudless Nirvana was tormented by each piece of casual horror that she saw and heard, from starving children to the graves of soldiers long dead to bandit attacks, to the elderly grandchildren of long dead slaves telling the story of how they came to become free.

These formative times ended, however, when she was given a chance to act- using medical knowledge she had gained on her pilgrimage to save one child dying of illness. It is said that as they opened their eyes, they gave her that name. The child claimed it had heard the call of the heavens, but one awakening, the seven foot tall High One offered something all the greater.

The Colossus has long since established a small empire of her own, working at every turn to make the world a better place. She is as fallible as any mortal- waging wars that kill countless and failing to foresee widespread disasters before it is too late. However, it is clear from all her choices that she longs for the betterment of all- her current project is to cure the swine plague, an illness that only ravages those in poorer, forested areas.

Of course, some say this is all part of her long game...
>>
>>52900047
Well no lynch mobs considering the whole "courts are supreme" mentality. But I do like the idea of something that is proooobably not the best idea to mention.

Maybe like how Galadriel's appearance changes? Either way both solid ideas anon!
>>
>>52899924
i've got an idea for an arc.

the pc's enter his realm for one reason or another, and then they feel something, some sort of energy overwhelming them, like a smell or a light weight. but like most smells or light weights they quickly get used to it. it becomes part of the background.

they go to town to find out what it was.
and it turns out he's done it, he's made a barrier against death, he's shielded all his beloved citisens from dying, he'll finaly keep his people safe. it also stops people from aging.

his people arent exactly too happy about this, they cant leave because the barrier also stops them from leaving, they dont produce enough food to live without trade so some people are starving without being able to die and its widely known that immortality isnt good for you mental health, basicly all of the more eccentric high ones are a shining example of why human minds arent meant to last more than a hundred years.

so when they finaly find a man who does appear to be aging they investigate and it goes from there, either having to convince him to let the barrier go or somehow forcing him to do it.

>>52900047
i kind of intended the shapeshifting to be out of his control, perhaps even to the point he's the only one that DOESNT know about it. ofc i'm just giving ideas, whats actually used is up to the DM who's hosting the campaign.
>>
>>52900210
Well let's hope the barrier lord makes the cut! All proof that two heads are better than one.
>>
Elysium, The Perfected Self

Background:
Elysium is one of the more mysterious High Ones in that it seems to lack direct interests and aspirations of its own-instead, Elysium travels the world looking for individuals who stand out to it in some way. Elysium isn't attracted to the incredibly strong or heroic, but the passionate-it could just as easily find a baker who really enjoys making the best bread she can as it could a noble hero seeking to save all the world.

Once Elysium finds a sufficiently passionate person, it takes on their form, memories and abilities before moving to another part of the world in order to not disturb the original, and spends some time living as the person its emulating would. The only difference is that it never falters, never fails. It essentially becomes the most ideal self of that person. Once the target's dream has been fully achieved by Elysium, it returns to its wandering.

Personality:
Elysium will mimic the outlook and personality of whoever it is currently emulating, although it will 'refine' their nature as much as possible, although not perfectly-Elysium only gets rid of flaws that its target would admit as a flaw, so a narcissist might be relatively unchanged.

In its 'true' form Elysium is quiet and surprisingly meek for a High One, lacking a strong presence. It is capable of conversation and is stunningly knowledgeable in practically any field even for a High One, and yet so lacking in personality that encounters with it are simultaneously bland and unsettling. Even other High Ones despise Elysium's true state, simultaneously irritated by its immense knowledge and abilities and a little put off by how absolutely mundane it acts.

Appearance:
How the person it's trying to emulate would look on their absolute best day.

When not taking the form of another, Elysium looks like a white-cloaked figure wearing an ivory mask.
>>
>>52900329
all passion is equal to Elysium as long as there is enough, this makes Elysium inherintly unpredictable, those with the highest passion are often artist and while Elysium might become the perfect painter making art on the white canvas where as it has just as much a chance of becoming the perfect serial killer, making perfect art out of its perfect victims.

Worse still is that Elysium inspires passion in others, its paintings will inevitably be loved, its cuisine will always have fans and so its killings might inspire the most heinous of death-cults, whatever it does and whomever it may Elysium leaves a great mark on the people and places she visits in one of its many guises.

many treat Elysium with distain for her lack of originality calling her a copy cat, but many more still fear her should she come upon the wrong person it could have tremendous consequenses, good or bad.
>>
>>52900329
Elysium continued.

Abilities:
Elysium's powers are both immense and rather limited-it seems capable of copying absolutely any powerset, from a humble swordsman to even a fellow High One, but it seems unable to use those powers 'natively'-when in its true form it never employs the seemingly endless range of powers that it must have accumulated through the centuries it has spent living other lives. As a result, Elysium could be simultaneously considered the strongest High One, when emulating a 'perfected' version of a powerful and passionate High One, and by far the weakest, when in its true form or when emulating a mere animal.

Nature (True):
Elysium is not hiding an evil plan or terrible secret-everything I said above about it being meek is absolutely true. However, it does have a hidden goal-it wishes to truly understand all life, from High One to insect, so that it is capable of accurately recreating it. Elysium dreams of creating and populating its own world, filled with all of life's wonders.

What the entity tries not to think about is the fact that it might have one insurmountable barrier-whilst it can create life, it cannot replicate. As you've established, High Ones cannot give birth to new High Ones. Thus Elysium is currently spinning its wheels, drifting from persona to persona to distract itself from the thoughts that fester in it when it takes its true form, the fears that its dream cannot be achieved.

If the secret to creating new High Ones was ever discovered and shared with Elysium, it would be more than happy to gift whoever discovered it with anything they could want in this world, or take them to the utopia it would now be capable of creating. Of course, one would have to work out Elysium's goals in the first place, which would be almost as difficult as discovering the means to creating new High Ones in the first place.
>>
>2900488

Those are all very good ideas-I focused more on Elysium itself, so your exploration of how other individuals would react to what Elysium represents supplements everything really well.
>>
>>52900526
>>52900488

Link fixed.
>>
>>52900495
although it seeks and inspires all passion it has little of its own in its true form, despite its destinctive appearance of white cloak and mask it has no real precense nor noticability, its passion strikes randomly and without warning.

to further confuse things in lands where Elysium has left a good imprint certain wanderers have taken to dressing themselves like Elysium and traveling to locations where she has been active, to learn from her passion and seeking to learn from her great passion and elsewhere thieves have done the same taking advantage of the anonimity its garb gives theme.

both these groups are unofficialy called the "Followers of Elysium" and because of the groups mixed members and complete lack of structure or organisation public opinion ranges wildly, one town might welcome you with fanfare, where the next might net you a lynch mob at Elysiums distinct apperance for crimes and killings of the past. To dress as Elysium is to reap both the rewards and punishment of Its previous great acts.

Elysium itself is impartial to these Followers, ignoring them. One could only wonder what would happen if Elysium happened upon one of her own followers who has enough passion to warrant imitation?
>>
>>52900795
A meeting between a truly passionate Follower and Elysium would be fascinating on a lot of levels.

You have the obvious inherent paradox of what Elysium would become: Would it become at last dedicated to fulfilling its own dream, and use all its insane power to force a way towards creating new High Ones? Or would it simply become an 'idealized' version of itself, emulating the Follower's false perception of Elysium until it was sated just like with any other form?

And then you have to wonder how the follower themself might react to exposure with Elysium's true form. This being, who inspired them to wear the same form as it due to the passion it can evoke, turning out to be very meek and retiring in its true state-how would that pan out...
>>
Op here.
Delighted of how the thread has turned out.
Commenting ideas in a minute.
>>
>>52898051
>>52899339
>>52899512
>>52899924
>>52900210

The character and arc ideas are awesome, and I'll fit them into the campaign as soon as possible.
Be it the shapeshifting or the motivation, they all make for a great High One. I'm only a bit concerned about a few things.
I think we could develop the story of why he became so concerned with protection, since "his daughter" already suggests something very original for a high one.
Though he already has a well-developped personality (enough to work with by far), I think I'll change him a bit, for example by giving him another title (I'm thinking of The Grey Autarch, it would make his barrier magic seem a bit less of a gimmick).
What kind of non barrier-related traits could we give him ? I'm thinking of relations with other High Ones, such as conflicts with other powerful Mage High Ones, or perhaps a secondary ability.
>>
>>52900329
>>52900488
>>52900495
>>52900329
>>52900795
>>52900893
Elysium added. Very intriguing character, and interesting considering how the story of the setting will turn out.
I don't have much to add, it fills all the requirements of what a High One is. I'm only wondering how it would react to the original it once copied being killed, for example by another High One.
>>
>>52887172
If I may make a suggestion, having Saint be the first to kill a high one sort of makes the world's history seem shallow.
I would have there be legends of high one who have been killed but so far in the past that only other high ones would know if there was any truth to it. Also they are only killed (or usually only killed) by other high ones, or imprisoned, and never this many at one time. This way Saint's actions are still quite amazing, no one's ever killed so many high ones and there's never been a reliable account of one slain by a mortal. When talking about previous killings of high ones, there's probably been so few cases that the most learned of humans would only be able to guess at which stories are true and which are pure fabrication, and high ones (if you could get one to talk, it would be in their interest to avoid the topic or remain vauge) would probably say that it has happened so few times that they could count it on one hand. I feel like it would be appropriate for the last known example of a high one dieing would be about a thousand years ago and shrouded in mystery.
>>
>>52906311
That's an excellent point, thank you. It's true that no death in a thousand years seems strange, and I didn't really have any justification for it.
I think I'll have three our four that will have been killed or imprisoned, one being >>52889468 , one having been murdered by another who was then imprisoned (possibly in another dimension), and one devoured by the beasts that inhabit most of the planet.

Anyway I'm grateful you pointed that out. I could put my finger on what exactly was wrong there.
>>
>>52869474
There is more to the fortress that Walks than is first seen. One can easily see the obvious aspects of his name: he is massive, even compared to other high ones, stout, and is covered in defensive runes that add resistance or immunity to almost every conceivable type of damage. It's thought that he may even equal Timer the Ardent Emperor in defensiveness. But there is one more interesting about the Fortress: if given an object that its owner considers valuable, regardless of whether it has actual value, he will hide it inside his body. If the owner ever meets him and asks for the item back he will give it to them unless there is some very important reason not to. But the Fortress travels so much, and along such unpredictable paths that one can expect to never see their belonging again. What valuables does he hold inside his impenetrable body that are so important that they drive him to grant them the dual protection of a indestructable body guard and an ever changing location? Its theorized that he holds an artifact so powerful that it could destroy the world, and, unable to destroy it, he has dedicated his life to protecting it from high one and human alike. Some say that he holds multiple such items, or a person held in timeless sleep, or a literal stone fortress. Ultimately only he and a small number of high ones know for sure. The Fortress that Walks avoids populated areas and will avoid talking much to people that he does run into, especially if they recognize him. He will respond to people that talk to him but will politely decline to answer any questions about his mission, past, or future itinerary. He will discuss any other subject but prefers to be left alone. He cannot be scryed by any known means.
>>
>>52906741
Awesome concept, anon. The guy is specific without being cliché, I really like him.
I'll be working on writing his (long) history with other High Ones. It's going to be a great plot point.
>>
>>52869730
The Wind of Change is a high one that shuns the other high one's obsessions with building and maintaining empires as 'boring.' The ultimate free spirit, he appears in some part of the world and begins formenting rebellion against the area's high one ruler, for no reason whatsoever other than his own amusement. In areas that suffer under a tyrant he is welcomed as a hero, in areas that are well ruled he is a menace. He prefers to attack areas that have remained under the same rulership for a long period of time. Even moreso if they are strongly defended. His choice of targets may smack of carelessness, but he is actually quite methadological in his plans to topple empires. He will often keep his prescence secret whilst he entices both internal conflict and military intervention from neighbouring lands hoping to profit off of the chaos. His most successful campaigns are the ones where his own prescence is not revealled until the last moment if at all. Having said that he also revels in being seen as a hero so he doesn't always remain hidden even if he can. If he is unsuccesful he will not hesitate to leave and take on even larger and more well-defended prey, letting hundreds of years pass before his original target has let their guard down and making his return. When the Wind of Change is succesful in uprooting one of his brethren, he usually hangs around for a few years doling out territory to those that can hold and defend it so that it is not merely recaptured again by its original owner or snatched up by any monolithic neighbours. He loses interest in this quickly and at some point disappears to infiltrate some other stagnant location and begin the whole cycle anew.
>>
>>52906892
Great one too, embodies pretty well the idea of a lot of infighting between the High Ones, most of the time just for fun.
He's added too. I'm wondering how he would react to the high ones being decimated by the humans.
>>
>>52906624
No prob. Glad to have been a help.

>>52906824
Thanks. That's so great to hear. I really look forward to seeing what you do with the idea.
>>
>>52907019
I'll most definitely make a follow-up thread in a few weeks when the campaign will have advanced a bit.
I'll also keep you informed about the setting. If it gets /tg/ approved I might get enough confidence to finish and publish the books I plan.
>>
>>52906993
Probably amused more than anything. I imagine he's basically watching the whole world play out like a game, when a high one is conquering everyone around them it's interesting, when their empire gets so big that it gets bogged down by infighting or becomes defensive that's "boring." But he wants to play the game too so he takes the role of freedom fighter, rebel, terrorist, ect. and shakes things up. He doesn't prioritize toppling tyrannies but hates anything that is stagnant or defensive. His prefered game is not a conquering one but playing personalities against eachother, playing politics and pulling strings. That said I imagine there comes a point where he just can't hold himself back anymore and just has to step out of the shadows and declare his prescence, especially if he can get a flashy fight with another high one as a result. Basically he sees the world as a series of contests or fights. High ones should be out fighting monsters or eachother, not sitting in their palaces brooding. Having armies fight in your place is a poor second, but being peaceful is unacceptable. This is his selection criteria for who to topple (or attempt to topple. I see him failing at least as much as he wins since he picks strong entrentched empires as his targets) but he is not perfectly true to his philosophy all the time, some personality quirk that he dislikes is just as good a reason to ruin your day, and on the other hand he can be staved off by careful bribes and flattery... for a while. For a flighty high one the best defence is to pack up and leave. The Wind of Change doesn't harrass other high ones after he's managed to ruin their empire. On the other hands those that buckle down for the long fight are usually able to drive him off, but he considers this too to be a victory as long as he was able to draw out the opposing high one or make them sweat and force them to think on their feet.
cont.
>>
>>52907257
With that in mind he would see the rise of Saint as the next stage in the game that the high ones chose to play when they decided to settle down and rule over humans. Thus he is probably excited to see where this will go next, though he may regret the loss of the specific high ones that were killed. He certainly avoids killing or imobilizing high ones prefering to drive them off or force them to change their plans. But really the uprising is the natural outcome of the high one's actions so if the murdered high ones had anything to do with ruling humans he would say that it is regretable but they had reaped what they had sowed. He himself would be disapointed to see the remaining high ones banding together as a monolithic force and may be laying plans to divide them. As for what the Saint's followers are up to he would be taking a wait and see approach. They are something new and therefore are 'interesting.'
>>
>>52907257
>>52907265
All of this will appear.
I'm amazed at how well some anons were able to capture this idea that I've been working on.
I'm saving all of this for campaign and general story.
You rock anon !
>>
File: ruhroh.jpg (40KB, 675x380px) Image search: [Google]
ruhroh.jpg
40KB, 675x380px
>>52905608
For relationships to High Ones, I'd assume he would be disdainful of any that specialize in poison and plague. Perhaps if there is a High One that specializes in these arts he could be suspicious that they were the ones to kill his "daughters" (if High Ones can't reproduce just assume adopted), and consider them his nemesis.

I could see him having tenuous alliances with some of the more level headed and intellectual high ones. Perhaps a light rivalry with another skilled spell caster.

As for secondary powers. Strong vocal projection so he can speak to anyone in his holdings from any location. The tone can range from honey sweet to wrathfully contemptful. Also the ability to teleport so he can be anywhere and everywhere at once in his lands.
>>
>>52909466
Sounds pretty great. I have several High Ones he could compete with. And he can have children, it's only that it's uncommon for a High One to consider humans enough to have children.
>>
>>52900194
And that care about people made her the preferable target of escapades by Ram. While most other High Ones press and neglect their populations, making them at least sometimes consider rebellion, her subjects love Colossus and rely on her removing most of the usual tension. Ram just can't leave it as is and frequents her lands much more regularly than those of other rulers.

He once said that considers her "better world" a boring and useless place. For Colossus, from his point of view, tries to rob her own people of what they could have achieved on their own. And to steal challenge of life without offering anything in return is a sin in his eyes.
>>
>Thylophos the Philosopher.
Thylophos takes the form of an old human with a whitened hair and Beard. He rules over a large citystates, and resides in the centre, in a gigantic academy. Typholos spends most days secluded in a room, thinking philosophing and writing down his thoughts. When Typholos is not occupied with his Oen thoughts, he gladly gives lectures on his philosophy to his followers. This has led to the upper classes in his citystate not being nobles but great thinkers. In turn this has made the culture og this state to be one centered around philosophy, and a large number of Typholos' subjects spends their time thinking, like him. To sustain this lifestyle Typholos often orders raids against neighboring states for slaves. While being quite eglomanial causes Typholos to deem himself a superior philosopher to all, he is also both willing to listen to his subjects for input and also a perfectionist. Because if this 99% of his writings Are burned by himself, consodered incomplete.
>>
>>52900194
>>52911943
Good-aligned High Ones are rare, but this one is really believable due to being flawed and not infaillible, unlike my own attempt at it (though I still like Equimar, he has a peculiar role in the story).
If I implement her though I think I might give her another personality trait. Maybe a fear, a quirk, a particular fighting style, or perhaps a mistake that haunts her.
>>
>>52900329
This one really interests me (not OP, just someone enjoying the thread). I really wonder what kind of role it would actually have in a story, and what relationships it would have with specific High Ones. Imagining it interacting with all the larger than life characters everyone else has made is kinda fun.
>>
>>52912136
>Raids neighbouring states for slaves
That was one unexpected twist.
>>
>>52914671
I was thinking it would be needed to maintain society and also ut gives it a more athenian feel
>>
>>52914696
Actually, it's the thing that makes me find the character interesting. It somewhat breaks the image of the good-doing philosopher.
In a good way.
>>
>>52887642
There don't have to be Gods for their to be religion but I recognized later you already had a religious figure prepared
>>
>>52914995
Religion actually exists, but it's something I won't have the time to explain in this thread.
The character wasn't bad, I just can put him with the setting. Maybe a martial monk that uses his discipline to gather followers who would join his warband.
>>
>>52913064
Just how many good and evil High Ones do you have now?

And how many that don't really fit among good or evil? I guess you could make an alignment grid that goes from good to evil, and from obsessively attached to the world to completely apathetic to the world.
>>
>>52915658
Truly good, there are two : The Colossus and Equimar, mostly. Another, called Linara the Rapier of chrysanthemi, turns good in the end. Nora (no title, one of the only) doesn't care but is a rather good guy.
Most are neither good nor evil, but Iora, Karobor, Messeintes, and Toum the Ripper of Skies are massive assholes.
The rest come in many shades, especially Armonda and the greatest mage, Theophrast who repented from the mistakes they made, but still fight Saint.
Menkvar had good intentions but was too brutal for his own (and his land's) good. From the thread, there are way too many but Sinara the flesh-shaper will live through the death of her brother and become driven by vengeance. I intend to make her build a gigantic construct of both flesh and iron to enact her vengeance while fulfilling what were their dream (I'm actually worried that might be cliché, but I'll see how it turns out).
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.