[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's another episode of "successful company destroys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 40

File: Gwlogo.png (77KB, 490x203px) Image search: [Google]
Gwlogo.png
77KB, 490x203px
>It's another episode of "successful company destroys its own franchise and sabotages its own reputation"
>>
File: PIPNQ52.jpg (76KB, 528x688px) Image search: [Google]
PIPNQ52.jpg
76KB, 528x688px
Following in GW's footsteps
>>
File: Electronic_Arts.jpg (35KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
Electronic_Arts.jpg
35KB, 620x413px
>>52868617
>>
File: This is new games workshop tm.jpg (351KB, 768x973px) Image search: [Google]
This is new games workshop tm.jpg
351KB, 768x973px
>>52868617
>tfw genuinely believe they are still doing better than what they did with fantasy
>>
I actually think GW have a cunning plan.

They're having a bit more of an attempt at bringing people into the games inexpensively than the nominal "please buy Battle for Skull Pass/Assault on Black Reach and fuck off" of a few years ago.

They're also aiming straight at their core customer base now, those who will swallow every shovel of dull big plastic kits with glee, every £30 (half)codex and expansion book. Who don't care that nothing matters AoS, the poor shadow of a game with 30 years of fluff it is.
>>
>>52868638
>We are skirmish game!
>We use metal models because we are hardcore
>We won't make stuff obsolate!

Years later
>Here have bigger games and Titans just like GW
>Resin and plastic!
>What you wanted to use those old cards? No buy new packs! The model is what it is important. No the rules are not free.

If I wanted 40k size battles from 4th edition I would play 40k 4th edition

Fucking retards
>>
File: Phill yates.jpg (141KB, 1280x715px) Image search: [Google]
Phill yates.jpg
141KB, 1280x715px
Battlefront
Trying to out Games workshop, Gamesworkshop
>>
>>52868812
New army?
>>
>>52868812
Then there are the actual players the bastards that are collecting and playing since the 80' and 90'

They see clearly that nothing has change. Till we don't see a public apology for shit like axing WHF, shit like the Carnifex or hell return the old hobby section they had in their webpages. Nothing will change.
>>
>>52868927

Yeah, by now though most of us know enough about other manufacturers of miniatures and supplies that we won't pay £30 for the Ad Mech codex, then £30 because Skitarii are in another codex for some reason, and then £20 for the Imperial Knights book.
>>
>>52868759
>That's okay, are going
>Things
>to be
>Okay.

Otherwise good image lad
>>
>>52868812

It's fucking hilarious that they killed old WH when Total War just introduced 1.5 million people to the setting.
>>
>>52869088
And that's why GW wants rid of the last of us. Because we make up a tiny portion of their sales and generate a lot of negativity.
>>
>>52869149
That was so stupid, the game had a link to WHF, a thing that GW axed so the link was dead by the time the game was release
>>
>>52868617
I unironically enjoyed the Gathering Storm books, especially the Fall of Cadia.
As someone who was a teen in the 80's and has been playing since rogue trader I'm totally fine with the new direction, it's better than the past 5 years by a long way.

Also, as a Blood angel player in 2nd and 3rd edition, a Space wolf player in 3rd and 4th and a huge general hater of what Matt Ward did to Ultramarines over the past 10 years or whatever Roboute Gilliman was the perfect choice for bringing back, first at least.
>>
>>52869246
Well if they didn't made stupid things like separating factions for tiny sales sake.
Or kept axing games I wish to continue play or hell update models for other armies so I can buy something else beside the decade old models. I would support their business

I'm not even asking for quality lore, just models. Not even good model, just something else beside the old shit.
>>
File: 1466800462373.jpg (56KB, 580x516px) Image search: [Google]
1466800462373.jpg
56KB, 580x516px
>>52868617
Did I miss something? What did GW this time?
>>
>>52869349
Just the same thread we have like clockwork.
>>
>>52869291
>Liked GS
>Plays BA and SW
>Over 600 word count for Blood in their codex
>Over 500 word count for Wolf in their codex

Anon you could not see good writing even if it raped you.
>>
>>52869349
They changed. To a pack of autistic neckbeards like /tg/ thats unacceptable.
>>
File: 1492927406144.jpg (189KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1492927406144.jpg
189KB, 700x700px
>>52869395
i know we have to change our arguments now just to keep being angry at them now.
I hate change
>>
>>52869349
They are saving Warhammer 40,000 and some people are really mad about this
>>
>>52869431
By saving you mean axing? Like they save WHF?

Because right now they are doing the same mistake that killed fantasy. You can only stretch consumer loyalty for so long.
>>
File: 99220299050_AOSGamingMatt03.jpg (44KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99220299050_AOSGamingMatt03.jpg
44KB, 600x620px
>>52869291

>goes from the 2000AD cops and robbers of RT, to the wacky zaniness of 2nd, to the threadbare 1 HQ 2 Troops and a bit extra of 3rd and 4th, to dudebigkitsandformationslmao of the more recent editions
>fine with it each time

Not being funny mate but you might be one of the more easily placated types I mentioned in >>52868812

Nothing wrong with it, you know GW and GW knows you.
>>
>>52869448
>same mistake that killed fantasy
Are you referring to the mismanagement of WHFB that led to its cancellation, or the massive success of Age of Sigmar
>>
>>52869451
>GW
>Knowing their consumers

Pick one.

If the trends continue we will end with Center piece model vs center piece model.
>>
>>52868617
Anyone else just sticking with 7th? My gaming group unanimously decided to stay with 7th Edition. We'd rather not take part in the AoSification of 40k. Why can't GW just listen to their fans for once?
>>
>>52869477
He can't accept how good the general hand book did. You won't be able to convince him.
>>
>>52869489
of all editions you pick 7th.
>>
>>52869489
You earned this (You)
>>
>>52869477
Massive success compared to dead 8th WHF? Yes
Success as in supporting the company by 60% like WHF did during 5th and 6th not even close.

But yah WHF die due to GW own incompetence, anyone that blames the consumer is just a shill or a retard.
>>
>>52869489
>7th
Well at least it is not 6th

Play 3rd you know the best edition, just because the others are utter shit.
>>
>>52869489
You'll be playing 8th when it hits, like any 40k playerbase ever sticks to this.
>>
>>52869379
I play Imperial Guard as my "main" army. I started collecting in rogue Trader and had a sizable allie force in 2nd.

I stopped playing Space marines primarily after the shit show that was 5th and pretty much just played 2nd edition most of the past 3 decades but I still kept up to date with the editions. THANKS RUSSIA!

>>52869451
Games Workshop has always been about over the top, teenage fanboy hack and slash cliche shallow lore about fighting round the galaxy.
It doesn't need to be intelligent or deep but it does need to be grand and epic like a space opera.
The gathering storm was the most fun I've had since reading the original backstories of the Imperium in the 2nd edition codexs, even if I had to remind myself I'm in my 40s and this is so not cool several times, but really what is supposed to be cool about playing with tiny plastic army men once you're older than 13.
>>
>>52869522
No thanks.
>>
>>52869533
Russia? Is that a meme I'm missing?
>>
>>52869581
I'm guessing he is referring to the black library database on a .ru site
>>
>>52869594
So he is like the SJW crowd? Bitch about changes but does not really buy stuff? Proceeding to fuck up the game for the people that actually play?

God now I hate this faggot.
>>
>>52869538

Oh, so you don't have any of the older books.
Because that's literally the only reason to not play 3rd over any other old edition.
>>
>>52869448
>Same mistake
>Making a franchise that sold worse than paints profitable again and cutting out the rule bloat and list-building simulator aspects is a mistake
>>
>>52869689
You know why WHF die?

One of the reason was there was nothing worth to buy, old kits since for ever, random snap fit mono pose kits, that some how where more expensive than the multi part counterparts. Raging unbalance, cross edition army rules release leaving some armies with rules two editions old.

GW made the game unfun and expensive, the loyal consumer kept it playing for 2 more editions. That level of consumer loyalty is only a dream for other companies and GW took it for granted and proceed to milk the WHF to death
>>
File: gw plc.png (23KB, 612x449px) Image search: [Google]
gw plc.png
23KB, 612x449px
>>52869689

>sold worse than paints

Where does this meme come from, GW don't put any breakdowns in their financial reports.

AoS definitely had a slow start, it's hard to tell how much of the current trend is AoS and how much is 30k and 40k, and whether the cost of a whole new franchise was actually worth it.
>>
>>52869349
They devided to finally make the jump to 8th edition, trimming down the rules, fixing them and settling stuff like factions being all over the place, while establishing a new website along with Warhammer Community, not just a webstore, and apparently that triggers some contrarians. I they're angry GW iz fixing themselves because they won't be ble to shit on it anymore.
>>
>>52869689
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy AoS, but the models and rules are nothing to brag. Let alone say it is the saviour of GW.

Maybe if they are 50-60% of GW income I will agree like WHF was till 6th and how 40k is since 4th of my memory is correct.

Beside the best rules GW ever made where for skirimish games like Mordheim and Necromunda, followed by Inquisitor (sadly it used Xbox Huge miniatures, but the game works fine with normal size one) and Battlefleet Gothic.

Let that skin mechanic wise those are good rules, not perfect, but good enough to work for decades, unlike WHF, 40k or AoS
>>
>>52869722
>AoS definitely had a slow start, it's hard to tell how much of the current trend is AoS and how much is 30k and 40k, and whether the cost of a whole new franchise was actually worth it.

It would have been worth squatting WHFB either way.

WHFB had been a bloated unfun game of "whose hundred-block of shit infantry fails the first break test" for a while and no one with any taste is lamenting it being put down.
>>
does anonye happen to have statistics concerning gw's paint sales?
>>
>>52869489
>Not enjoying GW's wild ride and at least trying the new rules for the hell of it

Son the game isn't released yet and you're boycotting it?

either way

>>52869531
This
>>
>>52869531
It's like how the WHFB grognards were all VIVA LE REVOLUTION WE'LL PLAY 9TH AGE FUCK YOU JEW WORKSHOP

A year later and 9th age is dead and they've slowly trickled back to playing AoS.
>>
>>52869828
No one, they stop releasing brake downs like a decade ago? Maybe less?

>>52869824
The unnecessary bloat is GW fault. They had models that cost 0.5 points for fuck sake.

GW shot themself in the foot and the procede to blame the gun factory.
>>
>>52869868
Hard to keep a revolutions when the means of production are not in your hands

In other words they can't play 9th if there is no model support.

Personally I would love AoS was just a spinoff, like some store where told before selling them bulk of WHF shit
>>
>>52869824
All they had to do to fix WHFB was just to ape the LOTR/Hobbit ruleset.
>>
File: whfb personified.jpg (28KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
whfb personified.jpg
28KB, 460x288px
>>52869891
>Trying to separate the mechanics from the game
No. WHFB was a bloated scooter-riding landwhale putting mayonaise in its lays chips for at least three editions and GW made a good decision in putting it to sleep and telling the rules-writers to make something that isn't garbage for once.
>>
>>52869828
Yeah. I hear the 'sold less than paints' meme a lot, but I've never seen any actual statistics or even a suggestion it's from a reliable source. Is it referring to profit or revenue? Fantasy used to be successful, so how did it change over time from that point to the present? Are paints and other hobby equipment a small or large part of GW's profit?

AoS initially tanked hard but looks to be doing better recently. Some actual stats beyond the vague statements in GW's investor reports would be great to know how well it's actually doing though. That's not information we'll ever get even if GW has the full picture however. I kind of hope it does well for the sake of the people that do play AoS, but can't see myself ever getting into it.
>>
ITT: kids bootyblasted that their manlet marine free box cheese or invisible reroll 2+/2++ army is getting balanced
>>
>>52869933
The bloat and failiure was 7th to 8th

6th was the last decent edition and it was a double edge sword.

At the end of it we saw the true GW the one that cares not about consumers.
>>
>>52869908
>Hard to keep a revolutions when the means of production are not in your hands
>Implying there isn't a cottage industry of non-GW alternatives for this very purpose
9th Age died because no one but grognards who were upset about the end times was interested. Once they lost interest, there was no one to fill their shoes.
>>
>>52869946
But anon I play SoB, IG and Inquisition. My armies has been shit to decent as edition went and go.

I can't seem to see a good result for my shit if AoS are used as an example, my armies are not hero hammer or huge Xbox models. So I don't see how they will not utterly fuck me.
>>
It does strike me that a good chunk of this thread probably casually believes GW revived or "saved" Blood Bowl.

In reality, they've taken a game with a healthy community and thriving competitive scene, backed up by dozens of third party miniatures companies, with a decent ruleset (tinkered with over a decade since the last proper published version and still fresh for it); and basically fragmented it into a DLC-style exercise, whilst adding various poorly thought out rules (e.g. new Skaven runners come with daggers on the model, so they added a random new mechanic and skill for no real games design reason).

They'll do the same to NetEpic with the new 8mm Titans game.
>>
>>52869868
>they've slowly trickled back to playing AoS.
Come on lad you know that the AoS scene is dead as fuck. Nobody actually plays it.
>>
>>52869985
Anon, very few of the top tier AoS lists are herohammer or monsterspam. High-rend attacks and mortal wounds are the biggest deal, as well as army synergy and objective capabilities.
>>
>>52869962

>grognards

But anon, if you actually had a clue you'd see how "Oldhammer", notably around 3rd ed Fantasy, is more of a thing than ever.

The End Times people you talk about are only one step off the big kit kiddies of AoS.
>>
>>52870030

>army synergy

12" area of effect allowing you to reroll your 3+ 4+ isn't real "synergy" mate.
>>
>>52870034
>are only one step off the big kit kiddies of AoS.
>Implying big kits are good in AoS
Match play fixed that. The big kits are pretty much all overcosted or extremely situational.
>>
>>52870030
Warmachine cheese mechanics is not synergy, people just found a way to abuse bad rules.

Fun rules and games but bad rules in the end.
>>
>>52870048
I was referring to keyword support, which is synergy.
>>
>>52868617

Stop playing their games then, stop talking about them on the internet.

Oh right...
>>
>>52869448

WFB made GW less money than paint in the last few years of its life.

I repeat, they made more money selling paint than WFB models, scenery and army books.

You're lucky they just didn't completely kill it you autistic fuck wit.
>>
>>52869722

GW managers and LGS owners.
>>
File: s.jpg (27KB, 600x733px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
27KB, 600x733px
>>52870101

>WFB made GW less money than paint in the last few years of its life.
>>
>>52870101
The paint meme again. There is no evidence of that. We know about the 60% sales WHF had around 6th.

But the paint crap? Nothing but a meme
>>
>>52870122

>

No mate. "Managers" earn peanuts, they get told fuck all.
>>
>>52869868
>A year later and 9th age is dead and they've slowly trickled back to playing Kings of War
ftfy
>>
>>52870018
And yet GW is doing fine and AoS is 35% of their income - pull your head out of your ass
>>
>>52870207

>AoS is 35% of their income

imagine going on the internet and not telling the truth
>>
>>52869489
>7th edition
kill yourself viper
>>
>>52870207
>And yet GW is doing fine and AoS is 35% of their income
GW is still doing worse than ten years ago while the market more than doubled in size.

Also source on AoS or bullshit.
>>
>>52870207
Where do you get that information? It is not in the public results.

Hell they are only making 18% profit. So they are losing money. Fucking Fresh blueberry make 20%+ profit and those shit rot unlike GW shit
>>
>>52869868
lol who the fuck would bother? I'd rather play Kings of War over that
>>
>>52870334
>they are only making 18% profit. So they are losing money

Retard alert
>>
>>52870389
Well if fresh fruit is making more profit with more production cost than GW then, they do have a problem
>>
>>52870011
If nothing else you have to at least admit that the minis are brilliant.
>>
>>52870429
>>52870334

Come on mate, that's not exactly how FTSE250 companies work.

Besides, who needs straight profit when you can have two massive share dividends each year; which with a personal 6% share in GW PLC for Tom Kirby is a nice little earner.
>>
>>52870513
When you wish to last more than 50 years? When you wish your products to be part of your consumers lives, instead of just a quick cash grab that maybe will last you 10 years?
>>
Games Workshop has done a lot to assunge my doubts and I am genuinely excited to see the new edition.
>>
>>52869489
its to early to decide.
we know almost nothing about what 8e will be like.
>>
File: futures good.jpg (183KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
futures good.jpg
183KB, 640x480px
>>52870599

Same here

I'm still cautiously optimistic and whether they'll enter a new golden era or damage the setting with retarded new fluff can only be known in a year or two
>>
>>52869448
>Setting is still the same
>No models rumored or confirmed to get removed
>game will play much of the same
>all armies still represented

The fuck you on nigga
>>
>>52869933
I like how you keep separating WHFB from GW. To make your analogy more accurate, it's more like a hot chick kept getting force-fed a mixture of butter and mayonnaise by their shitty parents until she was disgusting diabetic wreck, who then stuck her in the basement and refused to acknowledge her existence until she finally died.

Yes, WHFB was an absolute mess at the end, and yes, no one bought anything for it. That is entirely the fault of GW, though, and their were so many better option available to them (i.e. actually supporting and fixing the system) than the one they went with (killing off the setting entirely). To return to the analogy, a diet and exercise plan would do wonders, but instead the parents let her die then pass off her 12-year-old sister as her.

They needed to throw out the mechanics; they could have done so without throwing out the setting.
>>
>>52870917
>Wasting money on the fat child rather than cutting them off and focusing on the good one
>>
>>52870762
Decade old models still sold at modern prices.
>>
>>52870949
But anon they turn their prodigy child into the fat mess.
>>
>yfw AoS is basically Scrappy Doo
>>
Live in two hours?
>>
>>52871006
Right, and as such they should scrap her and start over.
Who in their right mind is going to waste years of effort and money on their landwhale child's diet and exercise (and inevitable down-the-road medical bills) when it's easier to just disown her and start over?
>>
>>52871056
I don't know, being responsable and accountability?

They could had made a one proper book for 9th instead of axing it. General handbook but for WHF.
>>
>>52871121
>I don't know, being responsable and accountability?
>Caring more about abstract, subjective ideals than wasted money, time, and effort
Gommunist betected
>>
File: 1491497026618.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1491497026618.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>52871015
RIKES
>>
>>52869722

>tfw bought shares at 520
>>
Is this the containment thread for autistic naysayers? Because I too have baseless accusations and also the sky is falling.
>>
>>52868883
>If I wanted 40k size battles from 4th edition

Are you an idiot?

Most high points Warmahordes game has maybe one unit of ten dudes, a bunch of solos, and four or five warjacks/warbeasts.

Large armies of thirty+ infantry models haven't been a thing in some time.
>>
>>52870666
Thirding this. Still want to see the actual rules, but I'm feeling pretty good about this. After 7th, we can really only get better, and what we've heard so far is promising.
>>
>>52871326
thats and GWs recent track record with mechanics is good. Even AoS is good from that standpoint. Its issues all stem from how they handled the settings.
>>
>>52869962
I thought T9A died because they picked a shitty edition of WHFB and didn't do enough to fix it. WHFB 8th edition was a dead game for a reason.
>>
>>52870949
The success of video games based on the WHFB franchise shows that the issue wasn't with the lore/setting.
>>
>>52871457
>Implying popularity = quality
>Warcraft somehow not a shit tier setting because WoW is popular
>>
>>52871351
>Genestealer Cults are extremely gimmicky and RNG-based, and support summon-spam
>Thousand Sons are a joke
>GS2 took one of the strongest strongest armies and threw buffs at it, and Fenris 2 buffed the strongest army in the game significantly
>Fenris 2 required a day one FAQ that even the slightest bit of proof-reading or play-testing would have caught
GW's recent track record with rules is absolutely abysmal.
>>
>>52871496
Not talking about quality, we're talking about profitability.

Plus, are you really trying to argue that Sigmar is a higher quality setting?
>>
>>52871518

>campaign #3 book #2 at £35 each for certain rules

This isn't right and never will be
>>
>>52869908

Is this somehow a surprise to people? Like, every single person choosing to get into 9th had to know there would never be anything new. Ever. It's why I never jumped on that hype train. Why bother trying to continuously invest in something that could never go anywhere?
>>
Sigmar is doing much better than WFRP it's sad but true
>>
>>52871535
Higher quality than Warcraft? Yes, but that's not a high bar.
>>
>>52871535
>WoW
>popular

Compared to what it was I'd say it has fallen to obscurity now and that is because they fucked everything up over and over.
>>
>>52871571
We're talking about WHFB.

>>52871586
Seriously, try to keep up.
>>
>>52871560

>WFRP

I'd fucking hope it was, that gets tossed from publisher to publisher monthly.
>>
>>52871147
I love profit, I don't like irrational profits with short term goals instead of a 100 year rule.
>>
>>52871634
>We're talking about WHFB.
No we're not, read the whole response chain, mongoloid.

>Success of WHFB game proves setting is good
>WoW is popular and bad
>Are you really claiming AoS is any better?
>Yes but that doesn't mean much
>(You) WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WHFB
>>
>>52871759
>Short term goals
Yeah, like paying for your fat daughters life support as her lard-clogged heart tries and fails to keep pace until she dies five years down the line.
>>
File: Capture.png (124KB, 207x249px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
124KB, 207x249px
>>52868617
GW fans are complete tards
>>
>>52871789
Well if GW didn't try to milk WHF to the death we would not be here discussing about fat daughters
>>
>>52871850
Fans are retards.

I'm here trying to enjoy my hobby, sadly part of it involves melding with fans
>>
>>52871923
And yet here we are.
>>
>>52871948
>enjoying GW
>>
>>52872002
I enjoy assembling, painting, reading shit lore and playing.

We all wish GW was competent
>>
>>52870666
Aa someone who recently purchased gw shares they better do well.
>>
>>52869489
I want to see what they do because frankly 7th is dogpiss and the whole fucking thing needs something to save it from utter shittery.
>>
File: 1492786189720.gif (4MB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
1492786189720.gif
4MB, 204x204px
We need more autism.
>>
>>52869868
I went back to old, OLD, editions and started collecting miniatures outside of GW. It's fun.
>>
>>52869717
This. Solely this. It's why I gave up and dropped WHFB and played Mordheim exclusively. Then dropped it completely when the custom terrain I BUILT IN THE GW SHOP with foam, sprues, plasticard, boxes I purchased myself and painted with their pants was tossed out and what I had on me was banned from the store.
>>
>>52872126
Yeah, going through old scenarios, grabbing miniatures with that late 80s, early 90s aesthetic, using 3rd edition, all good stuff.
>>
>>52870018
This. I tried to find a game across several GW stores. It's all 40k
>>
>>52871560

It's doing no better than WHFB was at the end of it's life and many times worse than what WHFB was doing back when it was actually good.

It's really damn obvious at this point that it's a failure.
>>
>>52872121
>putting soda cans in a vending machine clearly designed for snacks
>>
>>52869608
Except he's not bitching about the changes but applauding them.

Faggot.

Also buying BL...ever.
>>
>>52871767

WoW lore is bad but it's still much better than fucking AoS lore.
>>
>>52872264
I've seen people play AoS, usually on a corner, no more than 4 people. Is like people feel ashame to play on public.
>>
>>52872297
Apllauding change and not buying makes you no better than the fucks that complain about not enough females marines.
>>
>>52870294
>Doing worse
If you take into account the crisis it's easily explainable. And how are they doing worse? Their stock prices have never been so high.
>>
>>52869722

This growth is 100% Warhammer Total War related.

Shit was bought by 1.5 million people and has so much DLC it costs like 120 euro for the entire game right now.

Even if GW gets just 5% of that revenue it's literally their entire profit in last year.
>>
>>52869313
The problem is there are plenty of autists out there that impulse buy every new release no matter what it is.

Trying to speak out against this stuff by not buying it has no noticeable impact to them.
>>
>>52870978
If you think GW will ever lower prices of actual models without using reboxing and stuff like that, I've got some bad news for you.
>>
>>52872340
I couldn't even find that. I found
>blood bowl
>40k
>ARMAGEDDON
>a few scattered kill teams and mordheim/necromunda in a real cool chillaxed shop

Still yet to play a game of AoS. I bought the models because they were a dime a dozen when they first dropped on eBay and looked neat. Still can't find a game, and I've been everywhere within a 40min drive radius
>>
What's up with 8th
been out of the picture since shortly before 7th
>>
>>52872364
Seconding this. Guaranteed that's the biggest chunk of their profits. I bought it myself because WHFB is ace and TW games are solid. I would be surprised if they don't have a 10-20% share in profits because that's the sort of asspull they'd be down for, even on a killed CW
>>
>>52872364

£1.5m of their £16m off profit on £120m or so in revenue.

Licensing doesn't work like that, Sega or CA just pay GW a fee to use their IP. Of course, the more successful a particular adaptation, GW might ask for more next time.

Licensing is a nice little earner for GW too, since there's minimal effort for them.
>>
File: 2016.png (19KB, 829x461px) Image search: [Google]
2016.png
19KB, 829x461px
Video games are saving them. And all of those video games are old Fantasy.

AoS is a gigantic fiasco.
>>
>>52872402
Read the faq on the website.
>>
>>52872433
>>52872364

Sorry >>52872438 £1.5m in Royalties Receivable total, so with 17 licensees apparently, no idea how much of that was Sega/CA paying to use the Warhammer World.
>>
>>52872433
>>52872364
>>52872455

Ah, this explains everything. All the contrarians whining about stupid shit are just /v/ retards unable to grasp how IP lisenses work and how "GW is stupid" for not catering to them!
>>
>>52872455

Christ, that's quite the jump, I thought I had the latest ones.
>>
>>52872470
>>52872479

Are you blind? 1.5 million royalties is 2015. In 2016 it's 6m.

Without it their profit would drop to 10m. From 16m in 2015.
>>
>>52872505
You do know they canceled WHFB specifically to let it be a Video game setting right?
>>
>>52872438
This. People thinking you gain a part of everything sold is just not happening.
>>
>>52872544
Lmao no.
>>
>>52872356
>Their stock prices have never been so high.
Adjusting for the pound being in freefall they aren't
>>
>>52872438

GW asks for a % of revenue. They always did.

The thing is Warhammer Fantasy license price dropped to shit after setting was killed.
>>
>>52872586
I heard the exact opposite from an anon that was a developer in a small studio, back in Kirby's days. GW would ask for an upfront fee, and an enormous one at that, which meant smaller studios wern't in a position to accept.
>>
>>52872578
Right, so /v/tard, I wonder.

Do you think GW legit "killed" a setting, spent millions in redesigning a whole new setting and line of models, Just because WHFB wasn't making a profit?

AoS was a creative redirection because WHFB was essentially tapped out of creatively in terms of Wargame design and was plagued by resellers, third party and counterfeiters.

They STILL advertise the WHFB setting to developers, because they still like that setting, however, they don't design for that setting because it's a closed chapter.
>>
>>52872353
BL =/= Codex/rules/miniatures/paints
>>
File: 1458014310706.jpg (46KB, 505x478px) Image search: [Google]
1458014310706.jpg
46KB, 505x478px
>>52869868
mfw my playgroup is happily playing 6th ed fantasy like nothing ever happened
>>
>>52872640
>They STILL advertise the WHFB setting to developers

They don't. It's just that developers realized that license price will go down after setting was officially killed and jumped on the train knowing that a lot of people still care about Warhammer Fantasy brand.

Creative Assembly even explained how it happened in one interview. They were considering making a Warhammer, LotR or GoT game and decided on WH because price for license nosedived.
>>
>>52869868
>and they've slowly trickled back to playing AoS

I don't know a single person who did that.

Only some people who bought AoS models just to have them on the shelf.
>>
>>52872640
>Just because WHFB wasn't making a profit
In company terms, that "Just" is a death sentence. You don't keep something that doesn't make a profit unless it is temporary. When that thing has been bleeding money for years, it's quite natural to cut your losses.
Sure they still advertise the detting to other parties, but thinking that WHFB was killed to use it for video games is just plain silly.
It being used for vidyas is a nice side effect that, as of now, is good for them, but it has not been destroyed for that.
>>
>>52872640
Third parties and bootleg products are natural result of having a product people like.

Going full axe in order to screw over third parties is stupid. Specially with level of consumer loyalty GW has, disrespecting the consumer results in more bootleg and third parties.
>>
>>52872790
WFB was shit. Im glad it fucking died.
>>
>>52872455

So how will AoS fags explain that 30% drop in profit from figs? AoS sales going down is the only possible explanation.
>>
>>52872735
The situation of WHF is something like selling a car without an engine then getting confuse why people aren't buying your car but still buying your trucks and bikes that do have an engine.
So they keep reducing the parts of the car, no wheels or sit proceeding to up the price.

WHF was killed by GW own incompetence some how people do not understand that and insist it is due people not caring about WHF.

For fuck sake people care enough to stand 2 editions and even try to make a 9th.

Then proceeding to piss on the 40k players by replacing the marine statue temporarily didn't help either.
>>
>>52872821
Well that's just like your opinion man.
>>
>>52872889
Who gives a shit? The setting was dead, they changed it, we get new stuff, we move on.
No point in trying to find who is right or wrong when nobody is, it's a goddamn hobby
>>
>>52872920
The setting was not dead, it was the sales for old as balls models, horrible rules and over priced old shit.

The setting axing was not needed, what it needed was some fucking updated models and half ass working rules.

The game die with models that my father bought as a kid. That is how outdated the model line was at the end of WHF

There was nothing to buy
>>
>>52873006
>There was nothing to buy
This.

GW expected sales without any worthwhile releases, that's pretty crazy.
>>
>>52873006
>release products for your IP for less than 1/4th of yoyr release cycle
>be surprised when that IP makes less money than the one that takes up the rest of your cycle

Clearly the setting is bad and must be killed.
>>
>>52872895
Why yes, but it was not what I was talking about. I was talking about the fact that Anon argued that WHFB was killed with the express purpose to make vidyas out of it, which is just plain silly.
>>
>>52872920
>The setting was dead

Is that why millions wanted to play Warhammer online?
>>
>>52871224

Infantry spam is coming back with the theme forces. Now everybody plays theme forces.

Still a better game than 40k or AoS
>>
File: oldhammer_ov_chaos_web.png (138KB, 800x240px) Image search: [Google]
oldhammer_ov_chaos_web.png
138KB, 800x240px
>old models is a bad thing
>>
>>52872438
>>52872455
>>52872470
>>52872889

>anons in charge of reading financial reports

Wew.

The right hand set of figures are for the period from May 2014 to May 2015. The left hand figures are for May 2015 up to May 2016.

Total War: Warhammer wasn't even released until at the very end of the sets of figures you're all sperging out about, it won't have had any bearing on them at all. GW have released a more recent set of figures covering the six months up to Novermber 2016. The royalties over that period are £3.3m, about the same per year as they were at the end of the last report. Revenue has gone up from £55.3m to £70.9m (£62.7m constant currency), profits have jumped from £4.7m to £10.5m pre-royalties. That's some stonking growth, and they've reported that expectations for year-end are that profits are 'likely to be materially above market expectations'. That's business-code for truckloads of money.
>>
>>52873386
To mitigate a bit, £62.7m is lower than their half-year results 10 years ago. Even during the 6 best months in the last few years, GW stagnates hard while the miniatures market as a whole has a double-digit yearly increase.
>>
>>52873200
>Infantry spam is coming back with the theme forces.

Not really bruh, the most popular theme lists are warnoun heavy.
>>
>>52869722
>Where does this meme come from, GW don't put any breakdowns in their financial reports.
IIRC it's from that lawsuit- they revealed sales by line (40k, Fantasy and 'accessories', or something like that).

It's actually hardly surprising that paints etc sell a lot. Everybody needs them.
>>
>>52873386
>Total War: Warhammer wasn't even released until at the very end of the sets of figures you're all sperging out about

You do know that a million of it's 1.5 million sales are pre-orders right?
>>
>>52873586

Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how many zeros 'materially' translates into.

>>52874137

The profits have doubled pre-royalties, and revenues on their product are up something like 13%. Honestly, TW:W accounts for something like another £4m above what they were getting from royalties previously. It's good, but the rest of the company is doing well too.

Anyway, why does it matter? GW have strong IP, it's about time that they used it to make money from more than just selling plastic.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 649x186px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 649x186px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORkT4a2MhQ

This should be on autoloop in all Fantasy threads.
>>
>>52868883

Pretty sure the rules are free.

Also Battle College is getting all the specific stats for free too
>>
>>52869349
autistic grognards complaining about minor changes they know nothing about just for the sake of insulting GW.
>>
>>52868907

CHEERS
H
E
E
R
S
>>
Except they are making everything better, fact. Bitter and shitty bias only gets you so far, its obvious things are being improved. Have fun being unhappy, suckers. <3
>>
>>52869824

You shouldn't just squat something that doesn't work anon.

They should have tried to fix it at least once, this would have taken some effort though so I can understand why GW didn't care since they always take the easy option.

When AoS's sales drop will that get squatted? Then the next? It has to end at some point.
>>
>>52875939
Have GW responded at all to losing the number 1 place?
>>
>>52875939

This list is not reliable.

It was based off a questionnaire that only asked a handful of stores in the US. No empirical data was used.
>>
>>52876367
you assume they care. as long as they're beating their own targets, most companies couldn't give a shit about charts.
>>
>>52876367
I'd guess they'd claim XWing minis are toys and not actual minis and thus don't count, or be dismissive in some other fashion.
>>
>>52875939
xwing? Is a wargame game? I thought it was at best a miniature game.

>>52876416
Well new GW look like action figures, have you seen the size of Magnus and rapetides?

A kid once grabbed a Riptide thinking it was an action figure. Well he broke the arm. The best part was the Tau player crying like a baby.
>>
>>52868617
What's happened now?
>>
>>52869349
their stocks are skyrocketing, and obviously that means the company is in trouble
>>
>>52876367

They lost it a while ago. I guess if pressed for answers the responses you'd get would vary from not caring, Star Wars, this only being the US, not taking into account sales from GW stores or sales through the website, X-Wing being toys, etc.

>>52876387

I think it's reliable enough to show that despite all the screeching that AoS is actually showing and managed to get back into the top five position on the chart after Fantasy fell off sometime after the spring of 2013.

>>52876728

It's a chart for miniature games because outside of semantics there is honestly not much of a difference between a game like X-Wing and a game like 40k. The only real difference is that X-Wing comes preassembled and prepainted.
>>
>>52876784
Well the spergs gotta say it's dying somehow to try and prove their hateboners for it.
>>
>>52868705
It's hard to believe that there was a point in time where EA were considered rebellious rockstars in the computer game industry.
>>
How likely is it that the inevitable game released after the Galaxy's destruction will be called "Age of the Emperor" or "Age of Imperium"?
>>
>>52876743
They just had a live Q&A on Facebook about 8th edition.

Vehicles have wounds and lose take damage ala Age of Sigmar, there are 3 ways to play like Age of Sigmar, all of the books and supplements will be invalidated when it comes out (yes, they confirmed that several times) and leaked pictures show that they are going to start replacing their current Space Marines lines.
>>
I've been out of the loop, how well did /tg/ take the announcement of Robot Gullieman being playable?
>>
>>52876926
lose stats as they take damage*

Also, they're replacing the marines with truescale marines.

None of this is bad news to me. There's still enough room for doubt, though.
>>
>>52868617
not knowing anything much besides some FAQ answered questions.
>acting like a autist
>>
>>52876900

The galaxy isn't going to be destroyed and they aren't going to do the Age of Emperor maymay. If they were going to do either they would have done so before announcing an overhaul of the rules.
>>
>>52876926
So vehicles function like big monsters now or what?
Sounds fucking retarded.
>>
>>52877025
abloobloobloobloo

I look forward to your "I'm burning my minis" blogpost.
>>
>>52868617
please get angry as fuck so I can buy your armies for cheap on ebay
>>
>>52877025
Because having MC's that were in reality vehicles but Vehicles sucked ass because they weren't MC's wasn't good for the game.
>>
>>52877025
All they were willing to say was that they'd have wounds and would lose ballistic skill as they took damage, with the implication that there was more to it than just that.

I expect it will be like big monsters, though.

There's enough room for doubt. Besides, worst case scenario a reduced ballistic skill represents weapons malfunctions. I'm mixed on the idea. I'll have to actually try it to see how well it works, but if they lose the front/side/rear armor dynamic I will be upset.
>>
>>52877101
The fuck are you spouting?

>>52877128
That just really meant that the vehicles should have been improved ruleswise, not that the difference between monstrous creatures and vehicles should be scrapped.
Well, I guess we'll see once they fucking release the rules.
>>
>>52877153

I wouldn't be surprised if they toss out armor facing because it honestly only really exists for simulation purposes and creates pointless arguments over which side is being shot at and how that interacts with cover.
>>
Also guardsmen can shoot titans to death
>>
>>52877171
I agree. Making vehicles count as monstrous creatures felt like an admission that their rules were inadequate.
>>
>>52868705
Is GW even in contention for being worse in their industry than EA?
>>
>>52877204
The whole game exists for simulation purposes. Covering your vehicles is one of the main tactical elements of the game. It's simple and easy to grasp, too. Arguing over dimensions is really the only flaw to be found, and it really doesn't happen that often.
>>
>>52877219
Yes a blob of 40 guardsmen with frfsrf can take off 2 hull points from a titan before the titan blows up the entire table the next turn
>>
>>52877253
No. In order to do that, Games Workshop would need to buy Warmachine/Hordes, hire a bunch of underpaid interns to run the franchise into the ground and then cancel it because it wasn't profitable enough.
>>
>>52877266

>The whole game exists for simulation purposes

If GW thought the same then they'd just be putting out another 5/6/7th edition. I think they've realized now that the simulation aspects are bogging the game play down and don't bring enough to the table to be worth keeping.
>>
>>52877370
You can go too far in any direction.
>>
>>52877221
They always were. You either had shit tier Vehicles that are only good for getting people places (3rd, 4th not counting skimmers, 6th, 7th), or Vehicles that entirely dominate an edition (5th)
>>
File: 1492259723315.jpg (154KB, 968x968px) Image search: [Google]
1492259723315.jpg
154KB, 968x968px
>>52872821
Please kill yourself and hop on over to the Age of Smegma General™, goy- I mean good friend!
>>
>>52877398
The issue was GW's half-assed way. Either go full simulation or not. Theyre now admitting that their attempt at simulation was just rules bloat that added very little to the game.
>>
>>52877171
This site serves as a marketing platform.
You have honest to god marketers trying to shut down any dissent.
>>
Big tanks are worth taking simply so retards use all of their small arms trying to chip at them while you deliver your blender hq and elite melee bodyguard and abuse the new battleshock rules
>>
8th edition sounds like the best thing to happen to 40k in years

Overhaul instead of trying to fix little things every few years, keywords, all armies being re-done at once, vehicles becoming useful again, it's gonna be good shit
>>
>>52877595
'Anyone who likes something is a shill' meme
>>
>>52878165

The overhaul alone is good. People have been complaining about one thing or another since 5th Edition, and probably before, so it goods that they're willing to possibly rework everything from the bottom up instead of just changing a few things around and making some additions.
>>
File: 960x642.png (291KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
960x642.png
291KB, 960x642px
>>52868617
>>
8th edition can't be any worse than 7th edition, right guys?
>>
>>52872340
They should.
>>
>>52878471
Yes, but people are afraid of an overhaul because it could make things FUBAR. AoS was a good guinea pig for this, though. A really good investment in that sense.

...But there aren't many vehicles in Age of Sigmar...
>>
>>52873200
GW sucks, PP sucks.

play Infinity, Malifaux or Guild Ball.

SW Armada is good too.
>>
File: homerlaugh.jpg (7KB, 240x156px) Image search: [Google]
homerlaugh.jpg
7KB, 240x156px
>>52878659
>playing infinity or guildball
>>
>>52878659
Malifaux is my favorite.
>>
>>52868759

When you get nuked so hard your gatling gun turns into a chainsword
>>
See I know your not talking about GW because everything we heard today is great.
>>
>>52876989
Age of the Emprah is totally coming.

Because Eldar Ynnead and Cawl shenanigans, also Custodes getting the Emprah as a lord of war as they become the new meta thanks to all the new kiddies buying the most special elite units evar.
>>
This week on angry, over reacting and too old to be caring about this kind of thing.
>>
>>52878571

If you have problems with rules bloat then Infinity is arguably even worse with all its special rules and wargear, on top of being translated from Spanish into English.

>>52878618

There were quite a few things in Fantasy that would have probably been vehicles in 40k. They all had normal stat lines and their rules being something of a mess were due to shit like the riders and animals having their own stat lines and how you interacted with everything.
>>
File: 1452725848452.jpg (139KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452725848452.jpg
139KB, 1280x960px
>Age of Emperor™
>40k into aos meme brought to reality
>it's actually happening
>you are falling for the hype train
>less has changed than you think
>it absolutely will be AOSv2
>you fear it deep down even if you deny it
>>
>>52879188
I stopped giving a shit about 40k years ago.

It's still amusing to watch them torch their own IPs though.
>>
>>52876796

Well that's nice that you think that but all the evidence suggests it isn't reliable.

They asked a tiny number of shop owners in the US (Vegas) how much they sold and this is where the list comes from.
>>
>>52869533
>I play Imperial Guard

Dont you mean "ASTRA MILITARUM"

As a fellow IG-fag god damn do I hate that name change.
>>
File: WestwoodLives.jpg (564KB, 957x4310px) Image search: [Google]
WestwoodLives.jpg
564KB, 957x4310px
>>52868705
>>
>>52882014
>Ynnaestra Aemilitarii
>>
>>52882014

Meh, still says guard in the book, so both names apply. I find it cringier listening to grown men whine about saying a word
>>
>>52877253
EA is actually close to being dethroned by Ubisoft.
>>
>>52883343

Ubisoft is easily worse than EA. EA just gets more shit because they're bigger.
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot (3).png (154KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot (3).png
154KB, 1280x694px
>>52868617
>find heroforge website
>allows you to create custom miniatures to order
>doesn't allow you to download 3d printing templates for your own printer
>>
>>52869489
Yea, full of shit; you'll pick 8th up as soon as new blood comes in.
>>
>>52883502
Why the hell do you think they'd give you their models in data form for free? Then you'd just print them yourself instead of paying them to print it for you. That's like saying bookstores won't give you their books in reader form for free.
>>
They're at least trying and doing community outreach now. They also don't seem to take themselves so seriously anymore. It's refreshing.
>>
>>52883502
Wait, does Heroforge have a model size that fits with Warhammer or is it just close and the scale is slightly off?
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot (6).png (183KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot (6).png
183KB, 1280x694px
>>52883687
Their standard size is 30mm, but you can also get them at twice and 4 times that size.
>>
>>52883717
So how well will a HF 30mm human match up to AoS Slaves to Darkness humans? I'm new to Warhammer and don't know the scales yet.
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot (7).png (165KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot (7).png
165KB, 1280x694px
>>52883774
Warhammer Fantasy tends to be 28-32mm depending on what you bought.
>>
>>52870488
Orks are OK, humans look like shit.
>>
File: Wotclogo.gif (14KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
Wotclogo.gif
14KB, 500x320px
>replace good fluff with capeshit
>fire good writers and hire tumblr
>midrange and aggro are the only good decks in standard
>we can't have control or decent counterspells because kids get mad
>unless it's Fatal Push because random exceptions
>modern? what's that?
>>
>>52884200

Standard was never not a shit format after Onslaught block.
>>
File: intense autism.gif (955KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
intense autism.gif
955KB, 200x200px
>>52868705
>>
>>52881883
i welcome it.
My orks cant be worse anx AoS orks actually kick ass
>>
File: ages 3 and up.jpg (61KB, 497x432px) Image search: [Google]
ages 3 and up.jpg
61KB, 497x432px
>>52869349

Remember that time they erased the entire IP that built their company? They're doing that to 40k now

Addicts here will still defend this no matter what
>>
>>52869489
If you don't mind me asking, what particular rules in 8th edition do you dislike?
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot (12).png (164KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot (12).png
164KB, 1280x694px
>>52883774
Keep in mind that it costs about 15$ for your standard 30mm plastic foot soldier.
>>
>>52884224
>RAV-TSP
>ALA-ZEN
>INN-RTR

Are you even trying?
>>
>>52869349
>point costs if nothing else will be updated on an annual basis across the board, so no more waiting literally years for nerfs/buffs to your codex
>basic rules available for free
>all models in the game will have supported rules day 1 and specific codexes to follow (but not required)
>clusterfuck of a bloated system being trimmed down into something that can be played in 90 minutes with a 1500 point list
>actual playtesting and listing to community organizers such as ones at NOVA and the Los Vegas Open

That's 8th so far. Basically doing everything they should be doing. Though, I am upset about templates going away, I thought those were fun. I also think vehicles being treated like large AOS models is a mixed bag, it makes sense to me that an ork slugga simply cannot harm a tank, but then again, it's pretty shitty to have a vehicle that only like one thing in my army can do anything at all about.
tl;dr mostly good changes but spergs gonna sperg.
>>
>>52882090
>tfw you will never participate in the autist uprising to avenge westwood and everything else that EA has raped and murdered
>>
>>52868617
Games Workshop is a bloated piece of shit run by morons that only managed to not die years ago due to near monopoly status in their home country.

I don't like your thing and I'm glad you don't like it too.
>>
>>52876865
Well a long time ago EA used to stand for "Electronic art" And it really was. nowadays? its quite debatable.
>>
>>52868883

From a player that players both, and have done so for years, this is actually quite true.

Im not saying pp is using the same scale as 40k, but its definitely past the skirmish phase. And I remember having a chat with my local club regarding the subject not to long ago, not anyone could deny that the games had become bigger.
Also, the system they have build up is based on a game, with added miniatures. This ads to the punch when they decide to change rules, because this is a game where people (well, a lot of people) players competitive, even on a friendly basis. So, new rules = old models down the trash.
And again, your right regarding the rules, they are just like GW "free" but only the basic rules. If you want the cards you need to spend quite a bit to get them, and you need to get them in the mobile ap. The difference is that when GW did it its bad, when pp does it its cool and fair to the players.
>>
>>52884373
>playing standard constructed

Are you?
>>
>>52883343
I don't play any of the games Ubisoft is ruining so they are nothing compared to EA in affecting my enjoyment of videogames.
>>
>>52869717
>rules two editions old.
Man... As a DE player? Fucking fortunate.
>>
>>52881883
40k is unbearably shit so in theory there's nowhere to go but up, but that's also what I said about WHFB when we first heard the rumours about a major rules rewrite.
>>
>>52872710
>LotR or GoT
Let's hope these still happen, especially the GoT one.
>>
>>52885950

Current AoS is leagues better than WHFB 8th
>>
File: horse.jpg (62KB, 600x853px) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
62KB, 600x853px
>>52885966
I'm personally rooting for an LotR game to be made first.
>>
>>52886015
Fight me faggot! good luck bro
>>
>>52886033
>>52885966
>wanting GOT endless reskins over LOTR goodness
You shame Tolkien
>>
File: Carolingian.jpg (71KB, 465x635px) Image search: [Google]
Carolingian.jpg
71KB, 465x635px
>>52886033
For me, I just think LotR would have much better variety. Game of Thrones has one faction with 3 OP dragons, another faction with a red priestess, and OP faction with undead and White Walkers, some militaries from Essos (who realistically never interact with the Westerosi armies) and every other faction would be relatively the same. If you want to play a game suited for Game of Thrones, get Crusader Kings 2 and get the mod for it.

LotR meanwhile has large differences between all the armies, and the story to make large battles between the armies happen.
>>
>>52884379
I'm good with the vehicles change. Shaves a huge section of bloated rules out of the core rulebook. So far all we know is "everything can hurt everything." That doesn't mean a slugga is going to be killing any tanks. It's probably going to be incredibly unlikely for a slugga to even cause a single wound let alone all of them. But we just don't know yet.

Templates are another time sync when faster abstractions accomplish the same thing in a fraction of the time. I'd say it'll be nice to go from:

• Place template making sure the center hole covers a model's base. Roll to scatter and adjust the template's location if necessary. Okay now check which models are under the template. Roll to wound.

to

• Roll to hit. Roll for number of hits. Roll to wound.
>>
File: latest.jpg (88KB, 453x466px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
88KB, 453x466px
the new dude in charge is fine by the rulemaking but his lore it's fucking attrocious!

I mean seriously chaos was always an underdog faction that took everyone by surprise. But now they are basically wanting to make it into a bloody AOS chaos "OMG CHAOS IS TEH MOST POWERFUL ENEMY!" which is pretty bullshit.

They are literally doing everything that the old guard lore makers said was a bad idea.
>>
>>52887151
Guess what - the rules are probably just going to be AOS 40k ™ and be shit. It will be an enormous upset if the rules actually end up being largely considered well done, and not just a simplification that makes the game uninteresting.
>>
File: 2-d0dd55db9a.jpg (289KB, 879x1139px) Image search: [Google]
2-d0dd55db9a.jpg
289KB, 879x1139px
>>52887173
so uninteresting game mechanic and uninteresting fluff?

well looks like GW has finally done it, they have been raided by fucking hacks!
Kevin Rountree has to understand, HE NEEDS THE OLD GUARD BACK!
Bring back the overfiend, the big pete, the anthony reynolds and the french guy "who's name I forgot"
Those fuckers where the key on why the 40K lore was so interesting BECAUSE THEY basically BUILT IT from RT.

Rick Priestly will probably never come back, which sucks.
>>
>>52885991
Absolutely, 100% true. Grognards will never agree, however.
>>
My 6 8s say 40k 8th edition will rock
>>
>>52887151
>chaos was always an underdog faction that took everyone by surprise.

The setting is humanity fighting for survival against chaos. What the fuck planet are you living on.
>>
>>52888888
>>
I think the biggest problem people had with aos, other than the initial retarded rules, which have been fixed quite well actually, was how they killed the original, excellent setting. Instead fantasy players get lumped with this new shitbox setting that is fucking terrible with no depth or sense of consequence compared to the old one.

Why the fuck didn't they just rebrand, change up the rules and keep the setting?
>>
>>52888894
Did you miss Skaven? Which were far more fucking frightening than Chaos and pretty much only held in check by the lizardmen. Fuck when the Skaven got their shit together it only took one clan to fuck the lizards up.
>>
>>52889005
Skaven weren't remotely as scary as Chaos. Chaos were empowered by the fundamental emotions of humanity and similar races. Each hope for the future. Each small fear. Every time you dreamed of perfection or felt exhilaration. Each rage at the injustices of the world. A truly endless sea of daemons and an unstoppable corrupting force barely held back by the magic of the High elves and Slann and the forces arrayed at the north of the world.

Chaos was a truly inevitable doom. Skaven were a lesser doom that might happen one day if they got their shit together and stopped backstabbing each other so much. The power of each varied wildly as the plot required however (and the plot was often bad, and especially so in the End Times).
>>
>>52885991

It's a game with 0 strategy where dice rolls decide everything.
>>
>all these salty fantasy fucks

So glad GW did a chemo and got rid of you fuckers. Improved the actual play side of things a lot.

Still really sad about the nuked fluff.
>>
File: 409.jpg (12KB, 200x207px) Image search: [Google]
409.jpg
12KB, 200x207px
The cancerous 40k player are moving to infinity wow is there anything even more cancerous than that combination?
>>
>>52888894
It was a war of survival against an uncaring universe.

That was for WHF and 40k. Not a war of survival against Saturday morning villains.

The Dark Heresy games reflected that way better than modern 40k lore.
You faced super aliens and abomination from another dimension with just lasguns and a sword. Surviving was a bonus, your job was to simply delay the apocalypse one day more while giving the middle finger to Ancient gods.

We are humans and if we are going to die we are going to make you work for every last men, women and child. We will not got silently into the dark.

The new lore is basically girlyman returns and the Imoerium gets +10 productions and +20 in military power just because he is there.
>>
>>52889114
To be fair I'm only salty about the fluff, it was a fun setting, nothing to original on it self but as a group it was pretty awesome.

All though the game itself was a mess. Maybe if GW was a competent company we would have this thread.
>>
>>52889155
Warmachine, Infinity, 40k and AoS players. I've seen it. Pure horror.
>>
Ok. Quote from Warhammer community:
>Usually, we’d do this for up to 4 weeks before the update was announced, but as we’re so excited about the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, we’ll be extending this to 8 weeks (8 weeks for the 8th edition!).
Some people claim that the second part:
>(8 weeks for the 8th edition!).
subtly implies that there's 8 weeks untill the release.
I disagree. Which one of us is retarded?
>>
File: 1483332840991.jpg (115KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483332840991.jpg
115KB, 400x400px
>>52884318
>>
I WANT EVERYTHING TO STAY THE WAY IT WAS WHEN I FIRST EXPERIANCED IT AND IF IT CHANGES AND PEOPLE LIKE THAT CHANGE THEN THEIR FAGGOTS, FREEZE TIME AND THE COMPANY FOR ME SO THEY CAN DIE WHEN I DIE.
>>
>>52878618
Weren't
>>
>>52884318
>>52891898
stop same fagging you tard.
>>
>>52888894
>humanity fighting for survival against chaos
Oh so that means that the Tyranids, Necrons, Orks, filthy Eldar cunts and Tau that want to submit them do not happen to exist?

Gee yeah you are tottally right.

Now it's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>52889091
being this Bias in opinion.

How come they had to retcon the kick in the nuts that they got in the storm of chaos campaign then huh? Your saturday morning cartoon villians work better as underdogs, you fucking hack.
>>
>>52889097

Do you actually believe that people will agree with you and not realize that you either know nothing about how to play the game well, or that you're just a lying biased faggot? You're like those idiots who suck at 40k but claim it's brainless to play.
>>
>>52898881

AoS does nothing to -encourage- tactics or strategy.

That's the distinction people seem to keep skipping. Fantasy was heavily about positioning, AoS is basically just about staying within buffing bubbles.
>>
>>52899048

If you want to be reductive to that degree, 40k from 3rd ed on was little more than picking target priority and luck, and maybe remembering to space your models out to avoid template damage. Everything else about the match, including a heavy skew of who was going to win was determined during list writing.

I'm honestly not sure I'm a fan of how they're doing it but charging granted first strike and different movement stats is probably the biggest increase in complexity and reward of maneuver in 40k in a long time.
>>
>>52899048
please. as much as people claim fantasy was all about positioning, it was nothing more than a mash up in the middle of the board with a sprinkling of magic spam.
>>
>>52871056
You have Antisocial Personality Disorder.
>>
>>52870242
Come on anon. How could someone do that.
>>
>>52869824
Question - you know/played WHFB from which edition?
>>
>>52899265
Depends from the edition and the magic limitations, and the point cost of the match.
I played 6th as intended because we prepared for local tourneys and we used the european limitations for tournaments.
Best period for WH, shame some botched codex (High Elves) and the advantage of cavalry.
>>
File: the-more-you-know-630x210.png (220KB, 630x210px) Image search: [Google]
the-more-you-know-630x210.png
220KB, 630x210px
>>52869581
Back in the early Obama years there was a meme where people would say "THANKS OBAMA" whenever something bad happened, intended to make fun of people who thought the President was 100% responsible for every little stock market downturn or gas price increase.

THANKS RUSSIA is a reference to that meme, making fun of paranoid leftists who think Russia controls our election outcomes.
>>
>>52887011
I guess I agree but I still thought templates were fun and intuitive. It's fun to have a flame thrower and have its template be the shape of a flame thrower.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.