[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roll under or roll over? Explain why your opinion on the matter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1335812413067.jpg (458KB, 833x600px) Image search: [Google]
1335812413067.jpg
458KB, 833x600px
Roll under or roll over? Explain why your opinion on the matter is objectively true and why anyone who disagrees with you is a subhuman autistic weaboo SJW faggot.

Elaborate.
>>
>>52833561
Both have their merits, execution matters more.

My opinion on the matter is objectively true and why anyone who disagrees with me is a subhuman autistic weaboo SJW faggot.

I don't need to explain, all quality posters agree.
>>
>>52833561
Roll under. If you keep rolling over eventually everybody falls out of bed.
>>
>>52833589
Kek
>>
File: 1443176509910.jpg (43KB, 307x309px) Image search: [Google]
1443176509910.jpg
43KB, 307x309px
>>52833561
GURPS uses roll under. Which means roll under is superior.
>>
Roll-under: Built in limits that can be used to create sound, mathematically-bounded mechanics.

Roll-over: People with the reasoning skills of children who think that big numbers are better.
>>
>>52833561
Roll over. Less of a mathematical mess when modifiers result in having to roll against a number larger than the maximum on the die.
>>
>>52833561
I prefer roll under. It not only makes it easy both for the players to determine just how good his character actually is at doing something and for the GM to determine how hard something is supposed to be.
>>
>>52833561
Roll-under/over doesn't matter as much as the dice you're rolling. If you're only rolling a single die, you have a wacky, swingy linear curve where everything is equally likely to happen. If you use two or more dice, you get a weighted average you can build your system math around.

I generally prefer roll-under, but I'm fine with roll-over.
>>
>>52833585

In addition, context determines execution to a great deal.

System mechanics are more than just a resolution system. The particular quirks and traits of the mechanic you use can reinforce or undermine what you're trying to convey and the experience you're trying to create with the game, so choosing carefully is key.

This is why the people who wank bell curves are stupid. That sense of consistency and reliable results that they crave isn't implicitly better than a more variable dice system, it just creates a different quality of experience which is more or less appropriate for different kinds of game.
>>
How do you call mechanics by which you need to roll as high as possible without beating a cap?
>>
>>52838841
What game uses that? aside from Bounty Head Bebop
>>
>>52839046
Pendragon, Unknown Armies and Eclipse Phase leap to mind.
>>
>>52839188
I see. Thanks!
my /tg/ library isn't big.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.