[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over and over. unbelievable luck. Encounters with enormously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 16

Over and over. unbelievable luck. Encounters with enormously powerful enemies who are smarter, stronger, faster, better equipped, with better teams...and lol she'always comes out on better end of it.

yeah, she takes reasonable actions and uses problem solving, but at some point it gets really contrived.

"Realistic superheroes."
>>
File: Badge Placements.png (391KB, 1016x622px) Image search: [Google]
Badge Placements.png
391KB, 1016x622px
Modern day society has to stop bending backward to the losers who don't understand tru art and creates this garbage
>>
File: areyou1.jpg (52KB, 254x254px) Image search: [Google]
areyou1.jpg
52KB, 254x254px
>>52810564
who?
>>
File: waiting merchant.jpg (71KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
waiting merchant.jpg
71KB, 800x560px
>>52810564
No you nigger. When people say Worm is realistic capeshit, they're talking about the setting, not the plot.

It's shit like the Unwritten Rules and the Endbringer Truce and Class S threats and the uniqueness of the powers that makes Worm worthwhile. Besides that, the character drama and plot are very hit or miss.
>>
>>52810564
How far are you? Skitter's early success was supported by outside forces wanting her to win and the later victories stem from the nature of the parahuman shards and her role as the queen administrator.
>>
File: Batman.png (105KB, 1024x478px) Image search: [Google]
Batman.png
105KB, 1024x478px
>>52810564
>Encounters with enormously powerful enemies who are smarter, stronger, faster, better equipped, with better teams...and lol she'always comes out on better end of it.
>>
>>52811194
>>
>>52810564
>It's another shitty worm thread
I want spacebattles to leave. We've already gotten rid of quests, why do you still insist on bringing your shit here?
>>
>>52812120
I don't think there's been anti-worm threads on /tg/...
>>
>>52810660
Seconded, even after Reverse Search.

I've seen who, but still ask.....literally who?
>>
>>52810660
>>52813484
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/
>>
>>52810564
>"Realistic superheroes."
It's not though. It's an attempt to have a setting realistically explain why superhero tropes exist.

>"Why are there so many more villains than heroes?"
Because you get powers from being fucked up and traumatically broken.

>"Why don't the villains just kill the heroes in their secret identities and vice versa?"
Unwritten rules. Also, no killing because Endbringer truce and you need them to help.

>"Why do the villains get out of jail so easy?"
Because they get broken out, and rarely go to the superjail that holds everyone in it forever. Also Endbringers.

>Why doesn't Reed Richards fix everything? Why doesn't everyone have an arc reactor powering their home?
Thinkers who could solve world hunger are unpersonable jackasses, who are shit at convincing people to follow their plans. Tinkertech is missing bits and is kudged together by idiot savants with ideas plugged into their brains. It fails if not maintained by the creator or a tinker with a similar specialization.

>Why is everything solved by punching each other in the face?
Powers want you to use them in combat. Just getting them will modify your brain to make you more likely to use them in conflict instead of to make a pile of money via manufacturing or somesuch.

TL:DR - it's the setting that tries for realism, not the story.
>>
>>52810564

Skitter has a Thinker power. Like Jack, her shard fucks with other parahumans and throws them off their game.

It's literally her main power. Bug-control is just a side-effect.

But yeah, I seriously dislike her too. She's not an interesting MC - Golem, the Travellers or Dauntless would be more fun.
>>
>>52813638
Also, don't forget that any Tinkers who have potential to cause real change (e.g. Mannequin) end up getting singled out by the Simurgh.
>>
>>52810564

Check out Weaver Dice Lausanne, also by WB. A lot less plot armor, a lot more hilarious outcomes, including an incredibly mean-spirited retelling of Spider-man.
>>
>>52810908
This, their bosses literal superpower is to allow them to have a fail safe universe where they don't lose. He probably sent the Undersiders on missions multiple times a day to do literally anything that was impressive or gained him anything, the sporatic nature of their missions also implies this shit. Later on he even gets a perfect human stat machine. Multiple times we see him look at the stat machine and say what are chances they can accomplish X down to the decimal point? He asks that little cunt about everything since he first got her and pulls the rug on anything that goes wrong. Skitter has probably died 100 times before she even realizes who she is working for saying that the writing is shit because of the crazy shit the Undersiders pull off is like saying the story is shit because there are people with super powers who can control bugs and see through their eyes.
>>
File: IMG_0459.png (20KB, 734x428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0459.png
20KB, 734x428px
>>52810564
Queen administrator is a SUE.

Beating mannequin: Nonsense.

Surviving in a closed room with Levi: Nonsense.

Endbringers into Friendbringers: Nonsense.

Not getting instagibbed by scion when ptv goes on: Nonsense.
>>
ITT: MAIN CHARACTERS ARE MAY SUES, WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

They're main characters, not fucking PCs, you idiots.

I bet you all think Harry Dresden is also a Mary-Sue despite how much shit he gets and how fucked over he gets and how many huge mistakes he makes.
>>
>>52816349
>Surviving in a closed room with Levi: Nonsense.
Fun fact: WB actually rolled dice to see who would survive and who would die at various stages of that fight. The initial plan was actually for her to die fighting Leviathan. Instead the dice said 'Skitter lives.' and WB had to figure out how to make that work like a surprised DM.
>>
>>52816388
Are You autistic? Mary sue as a term allways referred to fiction more than to rpgs.
And YES of course Harry Dresden is a filthy sue: he's allways right and everybody love him.
>>
>>52816462
Strange and fickle are the ways of RNGesus.
>>
>>52816530
>Harry
>always right
>loved by everybody
So untrue it hurts.
>>
>>52816530
>always right
>kills every red court vampire in the world
>huge power vacuum destroys the world stability
>has to have himself shot int eh head to avoid being the Winter Queens Bitch
>has fucked over every single friend and loved one he has by accident or because he didn't think shit through
>every person he's loved either leaves or is so fucked in the head they can't cope with him
Yeah, okay, you're a fucking retard.
>>
File: igor_wat.png (453KB, 670x533px) Image search: [Google]
igor_wat.png
453KB, 670x533px
>>52816530
>he's allways right and everybody love him.

You haven't read any of the books, have you?
>>
>>52816668
Wrong.

He was shot through the heart.
>>
>>52816677
Okay, you're right.
>>
>>52810564
I kinda liked how Skitter wins through horrific means. Even the other villains are kind of freaked out by her. She beat Superman by FILLING HER MOUTH WITH SO MANY BUGS SHE SUFFOCATED. Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>52816690
Didn't she actually shove bugs all the way down into her lungs?
>>
Given how often we see these threads on first page, and how many people answer o it, I guess that worm is getting pretty popular here.
Is it worth a read, /tg/ ? I'm not really into superheroes, but the last case of similar spamming was K6BD and it turned out to be a wonderful surprise, so I'm shared.
>>
>>52813661
I know my tism is showing but that's a trump power desu
>>
>>52816690
>>52816705
How does she beat superman by suffocating herself?
>>
>>52816769
Superman was a Supergal
>>
>>52816748
I would say give it a shot. Worm isn't really standard superhero stuff. Not in the sense that it's better than standard superhero stuff, but just not the same.

It's the author's first work though, and it's in dire need of editing. That said, it has some stuff going for it, like the worldbuilding, action scenes, and interesting characters. It has a weak start but give it up until the first cape fight.
>>
>>52816748
>Is it worth a read, /tg/
Yes
Weaver ark falls short though, but power through it to reach more awesome on the other side.
>>
>>52816772
Oh I see.
>>
>>52816769
The setting's Superman is a woman. She's not the strongest hero but she has the strongest flying brick package.
>>
>>52816807
Except when Eidolon decides to take a flying brick package too.
>>
>>52816748
It's worth a look, but give it a pass if it doesn't grab you. It's in dire need of a good editing pass, but keep in mind Wildbow put out a 6000 word chapter twice a week for not quite 3 years. It's actually better than I'd expect a work written under those conditions to be.
>>
>>52816788
>>52816792
>>52816842
Ok, that's surprisingly unanimous. I''ll give my first impression if the thread s still up
>>
>>52810601
>Downplaying Wildbow's talent
>>
>>52816888
Explaining bits to friends is like half the enjoyment. When my roommate and I would have our daily smoke together I'd tell him the crazy bullshit that just happened in the story
>>
>>52816888
It's not surprising that there are at least three Worm fans in a Worm thread.
>>
Mild warning, worm tends towards the depressing. I feel it was worth it but a world full of mentally fucked people with superpowers is exactly as grim as it sounds a lot of the time.
>>
>>52817585
All of Wildbow's works are like that.

I like his writing but that shit gets old, fast.
>>
>>52816751
I never got trump classification.
>>
>>52816462
Wait, Wildbow actually fucking rolled dice to determine outcomes?

Are there any other examples of this?

Also, what would he have done if Skitter had lived?
>>
>>52818083
Trump is just any power that fucks with powers
>>
>>52818092
Skitter did live in that case so 'write the series'
>>
>>52818141
Shit. Meant died, sorry.
>>
>>52813741
>including an incredibly mean-spirited retelling of Spider-man

Which one was that?
>>
>>52818151
I guess continue on with maybe Tattletale or Grue as the main protag trying to cope with her being gone now.
>>
>>52818151
>>52818172
Iirc he had Aegis waiting in the wings to takeover as protagonist.
>>
Personally my least favorite part of Worm was the YA elements, mostly because I'm tired of that stuff. I feel like the best part was the whole Overlord of the Docks arc, then it declined significantly after S9 happened. Though I did love Calvert's death and how he was just straight outplayed

Also, Panacea was just insufferable. I hated her from her first scene. She acted too much like a Wheel of Time character
>>
>>52818306
I get hating Panacea, but from her first scene?

All she did was call Glory Girl out on her shit and heal a nazi while giving him a harmless case of psychosomatic ED. I always thought that that scene was meant to sour the reader towards Glory Girl while setting her up as a violent hero antagonist.
>>
>>52818247
Well that explains the Brockton Bay Wards Arc.
>>
>>52818581
Yeah. Although Aegis died too, so who would have been next in line? Clockblocker? Or maybe Amy and Victoria, they were the protagonists for one of the proto-Worms, Guts and Glory.
>>
>>52816668
Not to mention
the desperate plan to sacrifice everything for power, to be used only if shtf at mach speed?
He has to follow thu with it.
>>
>>52818607
I'll be honest, I'd have followed Clockblocker.

Or Vista, I always found her interesting.

I can't see Amy and Victoria really working from that point in the story.
>>
>>52818621
>>52818607
CB was honestly one of the most interesting Ward, especially watching his growth from a happy-go-lucky jokester to a serious and responsible hero and leader
>>
>>52818710
Clockblocker was definitely one of my favorite characters. He felt real and fleshed out, and he was way more likable than any of the Undersiders. He actually had some nuance to his character, his joker act hiding a sense of anger and frustration that starts to leak out after the attack.

The scene where he called Skitter out on the shit she had a hand in despite being ordered by his superior to shut up is one of my favorite scenes in that whole part of the story.
>>
>>52818170

Dune, the boy with the power to create fast-moving, abrasive surfaces that could rip targets to shreds. He could also travel on them via sandboarding.

He's actually an extremely powerful cape, and he can canonically defeat Grue - His power shuts down all Shaker abilities in the area. But he tries to flee his first do-or-die confrontation, and he gets crushed by several tonnes of rock.
>>
File: WDLausanne-FyfDune.pdf (355KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
WDLausanne-FyfDune.pdf
355KB, 1x1px
>>52819183

You need to link, or no-one will have any idea what you're talking about. It's actually really funny how most of the players died as a result of bad tactical planning or shit luck. Like the guy who tried to fight a murderous cape despite having no combat skills and no social skills.
>>
File: WDLausanne-ShemSession1.pdf (485KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
WDLausanne-ShemSession1.pdf
485KB, 1x1px
>>52819361

The odds were stacked against Archival, he had a poor start.
>>
>>52819361
How do you have no combat skills AND no social skills? What DID he have?
>>
>>52819447

He had 4 (Out of 5 highest) points in Investigate, 3 in Thievery, 1 in Streetwise.

His powers were basically clairvoyance and a minor Tinker ability to counter enemy capes. So he tried fighting a teleporter (with a cloak made of SWORDS) with a handful of knives.
>>
File: ShockedComputer Yuno.png (196KB, 400x663px) Image search: [Google]
ShockedComputer Yuno.png
196KB, 400x663px
>>52813513
>look at the chapter length
>look at the number of chapters
>>
>>52819687
It's also getting published as a book.
>>
>>52818137
And also any power that becomes President.
>>
>>52810564
>enormously powerful enemies who are smarter, stronger, faster, better equipped, with better teams...
>lol she'always comes out on better end of it.

Almost like real life
>>
>>52819361
He died because he was being an idiot. don't feel sorry for him.

On a mostly unrelated note i found that paranoia's general freeform use of mutant abilities is a perfect match for most worm powers.
>>
>>52810564
There were no less than 4 precogs manipulating everything from behind the scenes.

One of them had a power that was literally "I win."
>>
>>52819734
And a big book it'll be. Worm has a bigger wordcount than the entire Harry Potter series plus the Hobbit combined.
>>
File: skub.png (121KB, 800x269px) Image search: [Google]
skub.png
121KB, 800x269px
>>52810564
Just what precisely is the defining element of skub? Why do some topics incite this level of controversity? Of course, people will argue about everything but there are some things where it's just getting ridicilous.

Especially since there can't be more than like 5 people who know worm in the first place.

I sometimes wonder if wildbow hangs around these threads.
>>
>>52816705
Yes. She even fills her trachea and lungs with silk and spiders. It's one of the less disgusting things that happen in the story.

>>52819859
Any word on when that'll happen?

>>52818607
Amy and Victoria were also originally intented to be the protagonists, it would have been called "guts and glory". There is also a horrible Uber and Leet Christmas Story flying around somewhere.
>>
>>52813661
>Golem, the Travellers or Dauntless would be more fun.
Literally the worst characters
>>
>>52818621

It's interesting to note that, Weaver Dice-wise, Clockblocker is the most playable character. Amy and Victoria aren't - Victoria can demolish literally any PC in the history of Weaver Dice. Amy's obviously broken, too, given what she can do.

The Travelers are also good examples of starting-level PC characters, but Perdition is arguably the most powerful because his ability can be parlayed into invincibility.
>>
>>52810660
>>52813484
it's a really long(but complete) web novel.

the story is pretty hit or miss, cause the plot was partially written by rolling dice to see who dies. BUT the setting is god-tier

I'd say flip a coin to read it or not >>52813513

>>52816748
if you don't like supers then maybe not, but if you like it when a world is well-constructed and consistent while offering a broad array of adventure possibilities then go for it.

the first 2 or 3 chapters are kind of shitty, but that's a tiny distance to power through.

>>52816788
>and it's in dire need of editing.
supposedly, he has been working on that albeit slowly.

>>52816840
and even then that is temporary.

>>52816888
I look forward to it.

>>52817250
the more surprising thing is that there aren't that many disparaging comments.

>>52817585
>we need an "understatement of the thread" award meme/reaction image...

>>52818092
all the deaths you hear in every end-bringer fight, rolling past on the communication watches. each one was a character he created that might have reappeared later(some of the survivors DID reappear) and each one was the result of a die-roll for death or critical injury or survival.

>>52818607
>Clockblocker
best character.
his secret super-power was snark

>>52818904
>The scene where he called Skitter out on the shit she had a hand in despite being ordered by his superior to shut up is one of my favorite scenes in that whole part of the story.
can you be more specific?
I want to remember the scene but it's a long story.

>>52819687
yeah...1.56 million words isn't something you knock out over a long weekend. it took me a month reading in every spare moment I wasn't working or eating or sleeping...

>>52819740
>a slow, sad, clapping sound

>>52820013
>more than like 5 people who know worm in the first place.
and I know 3 of them...
more people know than that or Capes of Rain City couldn't happen
>>
>>52820217
That makes the endbringer fights so much cooler now.
>>
>>52820142
I'd have liked to see golem try harder to give some dick to skitter. not succeed mind you, just try.

>>52820232
yup.
thats why the behemoth fight ended up the way it did.

I went in knowing that every encounter with a high body-count was partially randomized. made it a roller-coaster of a read.

the first Mannequin fight was won because Forest(was that his name?) got some crits IIRC
>>
>>52820323
You know, I was nearly 100% sure that Regent had been slowly prepping Imp to be ready for him to transfer his mind into. I thought that was what happened during the behemoth fight and spent the rest of Worm waiting for a reveal that never came.
>>
>>52820372
nope

he rolled too poorly for that to happen
QUIT THE SPOILERS DAMMIT
>>
>>52820417
Wait, so he actually made an attempt? This is important to me.
>>
>>52820484
no, I'm using obfuscating language for the people in-thread that have expressed that they have not read that far.
>>
Everyone talks about how Leviathan and Behemoth are the best end bringers but holy shit the idea of the Simurgh is just fucking terrifying. If she decided she was gunning for you, the only way to survive would be on a desert island, but even then that's a hard sell because she'll just fucking find you.

Between her, Vista, and Glaistig Uaine I dunno who has my favorite power set.

Mannequin was best fight though. Genuine suspense the whole time.
>>
>>52820372
How do we know he didn't though? She got awfully sympathetic about his plight, and very, very good at killing. Hertbreaker's best still running shit.

Grue could have been done so much better, and I really wish he had held Tattletale in check, undersiders did have some good characters though.
>>
>>52820562
'cause we got an epilogue featuring her, and nothing showed up in that, so it's a conspiracy theory and nothing more.

The Undersiders really are a mixed bag, but then so is most of Worm.
>>
>>52820539
they're the better fights to read.

the simurgh is very hard to fight and the threat inherent in her presence it not clear, apparent, or consistent.

she is the most horrifying, but least interesting to observe fights for.

>>52820637
I'm fine with her just having a change of heart after the battle in India.
>>
The other three Endbringers after Behemoth died were criminally underused.

I find the time/teleporting one more terrifying than the Simurgh tbqh.
>>
>>52821352
Konshu did have one of the most horrorfying abilities.

simurgh was insidious
behemoth the most destructive
and Leviathan had his objectives

worst endbringer-death available I think...
>>
File: 8Ou7WA4[1].jpg (81KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
8Ou7WA4[1].jpg
81KB, 750x750px
Why did bonesaw not attach other capes to herself so she could gain their powers? Why couldn't she have just put several other cape's coronas in a life support device which she would then wear and control with something in her brain/control pad of some sort.
>>
>>52818092
If Skitter had died, Wildbow said he would have continued the story from Grue's perspective

Lots of people think he's lying when he rolled dice, but I'm inclined to believe him. Otherwise, he wouldn't have killed of Kaiser and Gallant before their character arcs could take place.
>>
>>52821787
Because those hybrid capes were fucked up?
>>
>>52821787
I don't think Bonesaw had the tech to control a mind with the brain still being intact enough to keep access to the coronas
>>
>>52822055
>>52821787
she might have, eventually.

I got the impression that she was working on it, but never had a lot of time in a dedicated and stable laboratory.

the shard would have supplied the basics BUT for something involving the Worms and their interactions...that would have still taken effort and time.
>>
>>52812120
>My board needs to be nothing but catgirl builds!
>>
>>52820217
Sorry for the delay buddy. We're back in on the 5th of May.
>>
>>52821946
It's criminal to me that Worm focused so much on the Undersiders. They just aren't interesting.
>>
>>52822155
Uh, yes she did. Murder Rat could both nullify powers and teleport to previously striker'd points.
>>
>>52822975
But was she controlling the brain, or did she just reprogram it or something?
>>
>>52821787
Maybe her shard blocked her from being able to, hence why she was so interested in trigger events, because they were one of the few aspects of biology she didn't understand.
>>
>>52823008
Actually sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of Hatchet Job, who is part Oni Lee. In any case, all of her abominations seem to be lobotomized and listen to her orders. They're described as drooling a few times.
>>
>>52822975
But not enough to be able to control the coronas. No tinkers had the ability to make something that could affect the passengers in that way because the Entities would never give that power away.
>>
File: 1466834253003.png (374KB, 559x900px) Image search: [Google]
1466834253003.png
374KB, 559x900px
>>52822940
HELL TO THE FUCK YES

WHOOOP WHOOP

I can stop spamming your twitter with messages then

>>52823008
she wasn't quite all the way there yet.

needed time for a lot of research.
>>
>>52822952
Aisha was fun. Brian sucked, Lisa was only OK, Regent barely had a personality, and Bitch had the best character arc.
>>
>>52823098
>twitter messages

I completely forgot I had that. Was that picture done for CoRC? I don't remember seeing it
>>
>>52823101
>Lisa was OK
>Lisa wasn't the best character of the Undersiders after Bitch
you take that back
>>
>>52823121
it was a request I spammed the drawthread for a couple of days to get...it's supposed to be BlindSide, it got done just in time to be posted on the last thread before it was saged off /qst/

not quite what I had envisioned, but better than nothing.

..the "bloodstains tracing a heart" around the helmet somehow got converted into a neon heart...kind of throws off the vibe a little
>>
>>52816677
And you're to blame.
>>
>>52816748
I personally love the hell out of it.
>>
>>52823171
It's not quite what I'd envisioned, but I like it!
>>
>>52816748
It's definitely worth a read, even if you don't finish it (the ending and final arc are a little bit iffy tbqh). I'm not a fan of capeshit, and I lived the hell out of Worm.
Surprisingly enough, lots of worm fanfiction is also usually worth a read. It's honestly surprising how much of it isn't complete trash.
>>
>>52810564
It's called "being the protagonist," slapnuts.

Fuck Worm, though.

>>52810715
The Endbringers are a mistake, and the one crew that shits on the Unwrittens never gets done in because of literal Joker Immunity.
>>
>>52822952
I disagree SO HARD.

Can you feel how hard I'm disagreeing? You will.
>>
>>52823249
I've been thinking of re-phrasing the request and re-posting it for a while in hopes of a grittier/better version.

that last visual...
Beaten, Battered, one arm hanging limp, still staggering towards the near-defeated MeatGrinder through a crowd. blowout in the rear hitting the OH SHIT button...
I wanted that, but I couldn't get it from the drawthread at the time.

dude, seeing that trip has done some good shit for my day
>>
>>52823101
Bitch had a good arc, but it was too dependent on Taylor, and Taylor sucks. Ironically barely having a personality is supposed to be because Regent is a sociopath, but that never really got explored so he was just the realistic snarker who got killed off.

Aisha is fun, and has an interesting power, but she was hardly explored either. She only started showing real signs of development after the end of the story.

Brian was cool at first, but he got demoted hard after Taylor took over and his death was barely a footnote.

Lisa is a love/hate character for me. On the one hand I think she's interesting and I liked her relationship with Taylor, but on the other it's hard for me not to think about what an awful person she is if you aren't looking at her through the eyes of one of her friends. Like she was a straight up monster to Panacea in the bank, and she's been manipulating Taylor and the others for her own ends since practically the start of the story.

I lost nearly all interest in Taylor as a character when Wildbow dropped the realistic and sympathetic character driven conflicts for her in favor of "muh dinah, muh territory, muh saving the world" and all that shit.
>>
>>52823304
>The Endbringers are a mistake
In execution, but not in concept. The hero + villain vs kaiju dynamic is a fascinating one, even if the Endbringers don't make satisfying kaiju.

>Slaughterhouse 9 are the only ones that live to break the unwritten rules
And Nilbog. And the Blasphemies. And the other Class S threats that are mentioned here and there but never really expanded upon.
That's because they take the roll of kaiju, not villains. Plus, it would cause more colateral damage to kill them all than it would to just leave them be.
>>
>>52823304
>the one crew that shits on the Unwrittens never gets done in because of literal Joker Immunity
Except the S9 has a high turnover rate, with only the most powerful members surviving for any decent amount of time. It's not like they escape from every encounter unscathed. They came to Brockton Bay with 8 members and left with 4, one of which was a new recruit that they picked up in town. Jack's shard helps him keep the group together and gives him an edge against parahumans, but it's not the only thing keeping the group around. Also remember that Jack and Bonesaw had medical enhancements that Bonesaw installed in them to make them resistant to shit like bullets and knives, and the others all had their own ways of coping with or resisting damage.
>>
>>52823479
Being terrible people was the Undersiders' gimmick though: a bunch of criminal punks and misfits who happen to be doing the best they could in a crapsack world.

Also doing Saint's Row with superheroes, but that's such a small part of the story in total.
>>
>>52823526
Nilbog and the Blasphemies don't get an entire arc, (two for Cap'n Edgy, technically) now do they?

And a story about superheroic crime doesn't need lazy conflict kaiju. It doesn't need a background of super bad murder rapist killfuck soulshitters; there are enough as major and peripheral characters already. Having characters be so meaningless in aggregate that you decide whether they live or die by a die roll is so antithetical to proper character building it boggles the mind. Why do you need that many characters? That much stuff? What purpose does it serve outside of stroking nerd boners?

There's a reason the fucking thing is 1.6 million words when it has about three short novels' worth of actual plot. It comes off like an Aberrant campaign run by a DM who loves their big dick NPCs too much.
>>
>>52823848
>And a story about superheroic crime doesn't need lazy conflict kaiju
But it's not a story about superheroic crime. It's a story about how kaiju (or their equally destructive equivalent) have shaped the hero-villain dichotomy.

>What purpose does it serve outside of stroking nerd boners?
Nothing really, but that's a fine enough reason on it's own. There's nothing wrong with having a lot more detail and characterization in your setting than the plot demands. That's what Lord of the Rings did, and it turned out great.
>>
>read Worm
That sure took a long time.

>read Gamma
>same thing, much shorter, much easier on the eyes
Should've done this first.

>>52823848
>Having characters be so meaningless in aggregate that you decide whether they live or die by a die roll is so antithetical to proper character building it boggles the mind
It's like real life.

>Why do you need that many characters? That much stuff? What purpose does it serve outside of stroking nerd boners?
Because it's an entire world out there. A world of superhumans. And there's a world's worth of stories to tell.

Yours are legitimate points, though.
>>
>>52823848
>a story about superheroic crime doesn't need lazy conflict kaiju. It doesn't need a background of super bad murder rapist killfuck soulshitters
Worm stops being about superhero/villain antics after arc 8. From there it focuses largely on the S-Class threats. If anything the whole superhero aspect is the background to a story about a fucked world full of monsters, not the other way around like you think it is.

>Why do you need that many characters?
Because the world is supposed to have heroes and villains in it?

>That much stuff?
Because fleshing out your setting is important? Wildbow also goes nuts on worldbuilding. If you think there's too much in the story then you should see all the WoG shit that didn't make it in.

Also remember that this is just the first draft of Worm, and it does need editing. It's not finished.
>>
>>52823643
Don't give me that communicator shard bullshit, it was retconned in and doesn't work against non-capes. They even gave him some spooky boogie bullshit to justify Aisha not merking his ass in an interlude, too. Bonesaw and Siberian don't have danger senses, active defenses outside of Manton Effect fuckery/Franken Fran organs, and the rest of the S9 were jobbers.

The PRT of any major city should've been waiting for him with anti-tank rounds. Waiting for all of them, really. Try cutting a .50 caliber bullet with your Gin Ichimaru ass.

The reason that didn't happen, when death was so very cheap for everyone else, was because the S9 and Slash specifically were wildbow's pet villains. Which sucks because they sucked.

The caricatures of Triads and skinheads made better villains. Literally SEELE made better villains. Hell, Alexandria, Guts and Glory made better villains.
>>
>>52824013
>Gamma
What's that?
>>
>>52824058
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/gamma
>>
>>52824057
But Glory Girl didn't do anything wrong.
>>
>>52824104
I regret asking.
>>
Is Weaver Dice finished yet?
Is it even making any progress?
>>
>>52824110
Well, not on purpose anyway.

>>52824217
No, play Mutants and Masterminds instead. Actually, play Mutants and Masterminds even when it is done, since that game is a masterpiece and it doesn't get the love it deserves.
>>
>>52824385
>and it doesn't get the love it deserves.
Based on how often it's being mentioned around here it seems like one of the most popular superhero systems, is /tg/ not an accurate representation and M&M is actually not that popular in the rest of the world?
>>
File: Quads.jpg (22KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
Quads.jpg
22KB, 250x238px
>>52824444
Yes, and it deserves to be used for more than just capeshit. That system single handedly redeams d20 as a concept, and it's flexible to be used for anything your put your mind to. It deserves to be 10 times more popular than it is.

Checked
>>
>>52824547
>That system single handedly redeams d20 as a concept
Well that certainly sounds intriguing, is the newest 3rd edition alright to start with or should I go with the 1st or 2nd first?

>>52816462
>>52818092
I sometimes wonder how much of Worm was even supposed to be a serious story and how much was just Wildbow entertaining himself with a writing excercise.

Rolling dice for Endbringer battles and just going with the flow on who lives and dies is one thing but he also said that he liked to write himself into corners just because he found it fun to think up how to get out of them (that's also how the cafeteria scene in Arcadia came to be).
>>
>>52824745
Personally, I prefer 2nd edition over 3rd edition; 3e amalgamated a whole bunch of distinct powers into single powers that could be represented in different ways. So, before you might have "sleep" or "vertigo" or "fear," but now you have "status-effect." It has its benefits, but there are a bunch of really cool powers that just can't work that way. I don't know enough about 1e to say how it compares with other adventures.
>>
>>52824745
>he also said that he liked to write himself into corners just because he found it fun to think up how to get out of them
Guess that explains why he wrote the entire world into a corner so hard that he had to open up multiple gateways to other worlds just so that the human race had a chance at surviving.
>>
>>52824948
Those gateways had precedent all the way since Cauldron was first introduced. Multiple Earths was introduced in the first couple arcs. Both of these points have pretty key effects on the entire storyline. It's not just an ass-pull like you seem to be suggesting.
>>
>>52825042
I don't think it was an asspull, just that the world was so fucked their only option was to ditch it.
>>
>>52810564
Becuase she's a protaganist in a book. Do you hate the fact that Beowulf didn't die to any of the threats he fought? Why would anybody bother reading a book where the hero only fights people weaker than they are. Unless you're some kind of faggot that only reads tragedy where the hero faces odds against them and loses on the basis that it's automatically more "realistic".
>>
File: Taunt-DR3-EN-C-UE.png (262KB, 300x435px) Image search: [Google]
Taunt-DR3-EN-C-UE.png
262KB, 300x435px
>>52823479
>Regent is a sociopath, but that never really got explored
Not much to explore.
>>
>>52825797
>>52823479

Regent did get a hint of depth to him in his interactions with Aisha, and her living as his weird, fucked up, memester legacy was a great ending.
>>
>>52823479
bitch is a dog. that's kind of her name. her power fucked her psyche up and so she's loyal to anyone who dommes her successfully.

aisha starts to git gud at classics when taylor meets cozen. it's there, just subtle.

bonesaw fucked him up, what did you expect?

lisa is an asshole but i love her, and this is a story about how power makes you into an asshole, both literally, with shards and their drive to conflict, and otherwise, with cauldron and the capes at the top ruining lives for a chance at saving the world and skitter herself using bullet ants just to make gangsters run for the sake of rep.

Taylor gets really fixated on certain things, like her future as a superhero and how she hates authority. her obsessions with dinah and the end of the world are completely in line with her semi-autistic hyperfocus.
>>
>>52825852
They played off each other, which was nice. But beyond that we really didn't get much. We were told that Aisha lets him control her, but nothing ever came of that.
>>
>>5282405
>The PRT of any major city should've been waiting for him with anti-tank rounds

They pretty much did that. It wasn't enough. The S9 are acknowledged as a class S threat, they are on level with the fucking endbringers. Those guys are one of the literally most dangerous things on earth, there are a number of reasons why they weren't killed long ago. You have read Alexandria's Interlude, haven't you?
>>
>>52825923
Not that more needed to come of that
>>
>>52825922
Justify it all you want, it doesn't make it well done.
>>
>>52826004
Yeah, you're right. We should just forget all about that set-up to take a closer look at a potentially dangerous relationship forming between two members of the main cast who are almost always on the sidelines of things.
>>
>>52824217
>Is Weaver Dice finished yet?
Hard no.

>Is it even making any progress?
There are somewhat constant but small updates, some rules getting tweaked or parts rewritten.
Bigger updates are more infrequent but happen occasionally.

If there's an entire IRC server full of people running the system then I guess you could consider it to be in a somewhat playable state.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.