[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

critical role is really stupid. It has been given more credence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 23

File: unnamed.jpg (135KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
135KB, 618x800px
critical role is really stupid. It has been given more credence to natural 20 fetishization than anything else. The players treat the game like it's Cards Against Fucking Humanity and act like that's the best way to run a system. People drool over Matt Mercer's DMing style but honestly anyone who is decently well-read can pull off those descriptions. I know I certainly do on a weekly basis, as does one of my GM friends. Yeah, 90% of people are shit at GMing, but that doesn't mean this dumb-ass is a gifted savant. His gunslinger homebrew is atrocious, leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story, it is just terrible mechanics-wise. This show is basically the roosterteeth "listen to grown men chuckling autistically into 5000 dollar microphones with a bunch of retards shouting over each other as the hysterical assperger laughter reaches its crescendo" experience. Why the fuck would you want to watch these people play their shitty boring campaign when you could go out and do it yourself? Is it the tits on the girls? None of them are very hot and honestly they are all terrible actresses, every time I hear their voices I want to kill myself. I cannot even describe how much I hate this shit. Here's the thing: I've seen a few comedy shows of people playing D&D. It was hilarious. Critical Role is just fucking stupid, partly because they are trying to actually play and they make a huge deal out of their stupid fucking campaign. But, the problem with these comedy shows was that people started expecting that out of their normal games. They expected RPGs to be funny. Not just naturally humorous, they want to rape the campaign for any potential it has. And these chucklefucks have read a load of "D&D stories" on imgur and reddit so they think that's how it is. So we have these fuckers derailing our campaigns every time we let a new person in. Now, this can't entirely be blamed on Critical Role, but it sure did its part to exacerbate the problem.
>>
Nice blog post.
>>
>>52807319
Oh we're having this thread again let's see

>Travis is the best player there and it sucks that he can't do much because he plays off on Grog's intelligence
>Sam is pretty good in comparison to everyone else but as his new character shows he doesn't have that much range
>Taelisin is pretty good but god he's fucking edgey
>Liam speaking of edgey, cussing doesn't make you deep
>Ashley is pure and Pike is like able because Ashley is just playing herself
>Laura is cute but her character is serious cunt
>Marisha is worst player/girl
>Orion was worst player
>combat is boring and Mercer doesn't do anything unique with his monsters
>death means nothing in this game
>plot is predictable
>>
>>52807399
>opens /tg/
>searches the catalogue for his favourite gens
>sees a thread that isn't a gen
>stares at it for 5 minutes trying to find a funny and original was to totally own OP.
>...
>hahaha got it
>nice blog post
>pictures the OP huffing and puffing in anger
>hahahhaha I bet he is so mad
>laugh so hard I get an asthma attack
>thats enough posting on /tg/ for today
>>
>>52807319
I will agree with you on some points, mainly the whole nat 20 meme now flying around.

>leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story

Is your personal opinion, especially since they have a table with guns and even laser guns in the DMG.
>>
>>52807319
can someone do a TLDR? I can't be bothered to read if OP can't be bothered to format his posts.
>>
>>52807420
/thread
>>
>>52807589
You want an epic comeback, OP? Make a post deserving of one. This is amateur hour.
>>
OP is mad nobody wants to play in his campaign despite the fact that he's "Totally as good as Matt Mercer, guys!"

Sad strange little man, you have my pity.
>>
>>52807652
He's upset that Critical Role
>Perpetuate the nat 20 meme
>People really like Mercer's DMing style, going so far as to say he is just as good
>Hates the gunslinger class
>Mostly because he believes guns have no place in D&D
>Mad that newer people aren't into gritty campaigns

I'll admit has some points but it's lost amongst autistic screeching.
>>
>>52807613
that’s for different settings
classic dnd ranges from high fantasy to historical fantasy in a medieval to tudor era.
adding a gunslinger subclass and then making it a fighter for extra bullshit is straight up retarded. not to mention how the fuck do you find materials to make replaceable parts for a gun? how do you create replaceable parts as an adventurer? as an adventurer to create the first gun or to be able to create your own gun you would need to be a wood worker, a smith a alchemist and a tinker.
I have no idea what matt thinks tinkering is. does he think that the first guns were made from cogs?
>>
>>52807763
but thats wrong.
you done your best though. pretty hard to make an assumption on someone based off a 300 word post that they copy pasted.
>>
>>52807775
What's the nat 20 meme?
>>
>>52807785
>not to mention how the fuck do you find materials to make replaceable parts for a gun?

You make them out of the same stuff as originally used?

>how do you create replaceable parts as an adventurer?

Well he has a workshop, logic would dictate he made atleast a batch of replacements for the smaller parts and carries them with him.

>I have no idea what matt thinks tinkering is. does he think that the first guns were made from cogs?

It's a catch all instead of autisticly breaking every single step down.

The other main part you might have missed is how Percy made a deal with a demon to figure out what all he needed. Also it's true that it's not for every setting but that doesn't mean the whole statement of not belonging in D&D at all is true.
>>
The first person who recommends those faggot McElroy brothers and thei faggot cum-gargling voices is going to have their fucking dog poisoned by me tonight.
>>
>>52807879
The belief that if you roll a nat 20 you succeed, even if it was completely impossible for you to do so in the first place.
>>
>>52807879
Probably something to do with the misconception that Nat 20s are not only "auto successes" for skill checks, but that it allows the player to do incredibly ridiculous shit ("I roll Nat 20 on Swim so I dive UP the waterfall! LOL!") so you can talk to all your Starbucks friends about the totally EPIK things you did in your last D&D session.
>>
>>52807785
In response to the whole Gunslinger thing, keep in mind that this character's concept is that he made a literal deal with a demon to get the knowledge for his guns, and that even then the guns should misfire or explode on a 1/9 chance, it's just that DnD rules make it less likely to occur.

Also, the character was a tinkerer scientist guy in his background, as he expected to be a kid who would make a name for himself with his inventions while his older siblings would run his hometown. It's only after his family got murdered that he had to use his inventions for revenge.
>>
>>52807879
>I roll to seduce the dragon who has done nothing but killed my kind
>Nat 20
>you fuck the shit out of the dragon xD
>>
>>52807936
>I roll Nat 20 on Swim so I dive UP the waterfall!
That may be the kind of thing that spawned the meme, because that sounds good enough.
>>
>>52807775
>>52807879

Can I just point out, this is retarded

Mercer says frequently that a nat 20 won't let you succeed the impossible and always asks for appropriate modifier on 20s
>>
>>52807319
So... in the interest of making this thread better, Complete Degenerate here to answer all your questions about Fetlife and various Dating Sites.

For those of you who think this can't improve the thread, consider the fact that it's a Ragepost on Critical Role. There's not much lower we can go, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try.
>>
>>52807785
easy use magic, sigh Really I dislike guns myself as everyone go range and STR becomes a dump stat foe everyone. BUT then unless you going for a polearm build STR is already a Dump stat for every class in 5th ed
>>
>>52807986
It is and I fully agree, but that doesn't stop fucktards from watching the show and thinking that's how it works.
>>
>>52807994
I miss having quest threads on this board.
>>
>>52807785
>that’s for different settings
And what setting is the game in that guns shouldn't be there?
More than half of the classic D&D settings have gunpowder and rudimentary guns, including all of the most well known ones save Ravenloft and Dark Sun.
>>
>>52808026
Then they play the game, if they were interested at all, and see that it's not.
>>
>>52807935
˛But that's just 1 in 20 chance.
I'd understand miracles happening with a 1 in 8000 roll.
ETA on board gaming becoming as cancerous and trash like vidya?
>>
>>52808056
In most settings I'm aware of, ships have harpoons and cannons, so it's not too far out of the realm of possibility that some wacko is experimenting with a handheld version of a ship's cannon.

Hell, Forgotten Realms in 5th edition has an island of magical gnomes who BAMFed away to somewhere else during all of 4th edition, Spellplague stuff, and came back and started buying up as much black powder as they could, for "reasons."
>>
>>52807994
How common are girls with decent figures?
I like tits and ass in abundance, and I hate how it took years for a decent figure on a woman to come back into vogue.
>>
>>52807319
Is this pasta fresh?
>>
>>52808098
Forgotten Realms have long had gunpowder, since 2e iirc, it's monopolized by a single nation, however.
>>
>>52808120
I think his point was that if the "main" setting for D&D has gunpowder, then it's fine for them to exist, so long as the DM makes the logical step of having gunpowder and guns hard to get/make.
>>
>>52808056
guns came way after gunpowder. cannons were common in 1500's guns were common in 1600's that 100 years difference.

not to mention that the first guns were uncontrolable and were only good in formation and not in duels.

do you think people dueled with rapier and buclker for fun?
do you think people walked ten paces and fired because they wanted to kill each other? or because they wanted to prove they were manly while realistically gaving a good chance of surviving.
>>
>>52808152
>guns came way after gunpowder. cannons were common in 1500's guns were common in 1600's that 100 years difference.
>using real life precedents for setting concerns
Anon, stop, seriously.
If you want to go that route, I'll use the fact that plate armor as presented in D&D existed right alongside functional handheld firearms.
>>
>>52808116
Unfortunately.
>>
>>52808196
Hell, the term bulletproof literally comes from testing the quality of plate armor by shooting bullets at it.
>>
>>52808145
>>52808152
>>52808120
>>52808098
Since when does the setting needs to have a nation utilizing gunpowder?

The player can easily make its own gunpowder. Or would this be considered metagaming? What if he rolls a knowledge check? Would that still be metagaming?

Go ahead, I will wait. The hardest part would be to find sulfur but beyond that, making gunpowder is easy, even a child can do it.
>>
>>52808073
Not if the DM believes that's the way it works as well

>>52808087
I get that and once in a blue moon, depending on the circumstances, it might work with a nat 20. The problem is people are starting to believe it should always happen on a nat 20.
>>
>>52808230
Then the GM hasn't read the book, now have they?
>>
I just don't really get the appeal of watching people play D&D.
>>
>>52808229
>a pc can skirt the decades it took to refine the formular that literally killed so many, the Chinese, who invesnted gunpowder, has a national warning that trying to make it would likely kill you
>the pc can skirt the further centuries it took to refine firearms to something functionally usable in combat
Yea, no, anon.
>>
>>52808230
>despite gunpowder not being invented yet you take a history roll.
>OH SHIT NATTY TWENZ
>you invent a m15 assualt rifle. you do 2d12 damage
>what do you think of that dragon rider, you have some competition.
>>
>>52807984
reminds me of the american tall tale where the guy swims through the rain.
>>
>>52808326
meant to reply to >>52808229
>>
>>52808320
Anon, if you're going to talk shit, saying something can't happen in D&D because it's anachronistic is absolutely the worst way to go.
>>
>>52808320
see:
>>52808326

If Nat20 you probably can craft the gunpowder.
>>
>>52807319
>tldr
>They're doing fun wrong
>>
>>52808403
Yes, if you ignore the rules about crafting (you generally need to be epic level to craft an unknown item, and the process does take years by RAW), ignore the rules for rolls, and basically handwave away all of the things that make such a thing unlikely.
At that point, why bother rolling if you are just going to give it to them?
>>52808395
No, I'm saying not to use real world precedents where they pointedly don't have a place.
If you want to argue anachronicities, you have already fucked up.
>>
I've watched other role-playing shows, but I never even attempted to watch Critical Role, or anything else on Geek and Sundry, for that matter. I don't know what it is, but the people on that site always gave me the wrong impression. Almost like they're a bunch overstated millennials with no real personality outside of their Internet personas.
>>
>>52807589

HA! He is a bitch, isnt he.
>>
>>52808568
>Almost like they're a bunch overstated millennials with no real personality outside of their Internet personas.
I'm pretty sure that's literally what Geek and Sundry is.
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (78KB, 643x820px) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
78KB, 643x820px
>>52807319
calm down, you're not the intended audience. this stuff is for normies who fucking love science and BBT
>>
>>52808286
You're acting like it is outside the realm of possibility for people to not actually read the rules. Fuck the screenshots from Reddit prove this is an entirely plausible scenario, even if I wish it wasn't.
>>
>>52808568
What do you mean by internet personas? All of them are professional videogame voice actors
>>
>>52808686
>videogame voice actor
Imagine being so much of a failure you can't become a real actor, a stage actor, a radio caster, and instead you're a bideo gaem voice "actor"
Bonus points if you belong to the crime syndicate aka VA guild
>>
>>52807935
>The belief that if you roll a nat 20 you succeed, even if it was completely impossible for you to do so in the first place.
This has only ever applied on attack rolls, and nat1 being auto fail has only ever applied on attack rolls.
>>
>>52808478
>Lore for Percy is he made a deal with a demon
>Demon showed him how to make a gun
>Took years to do

What's the problem here? Other than Talisen is crawling in my skin incarnate.
>>
>>52808783
The problem is /tg/ will always find any bullshit excuse they can to discredit and insult Critical Role.
>>
>>52808229
Let's go at this from a scientific/logic standpoint.

Let's assume that a generic fantasy world's tech level is at/around mid to late renaissance. So we have ships that can sail across the open ocean, the beginnings of understanding science/chemistry, and the beginnings of understanding physics. This knowledge would be reserved mostly for the middle class and above, being that they can afford to learn how to read, write, arithmetic, etc.

But magic still exists, and has for hundreds/thousands of years, and we see magic break the above laws of nature, science, physics, etc., because of the 'nature' of magic. It makes sense that more people would focus on magic, as many wound find it "easier" and "stronger" than the laws of nature.

Yet others feel that nature is tangible, predictable, and easier to control, hence the continued growth of science and experimentation.

To me, I wouldn't call it (knowledge of gunpowder) metagaming because of the steps outlined above; some people want the 'power' of magic, others want 'control' over nature. And while the actual, real world physics of renaissance levels of technology trying to craft a safe ratio of components for gunpowder is doable, it requires a TON of experimentation and potential loss of life over years of study and theory. I would have it be a pretty high knowledge check to know what the components are, and if you wanted to make gunpowder then I would require training in chemist's tools and 'tinkerer' stuff so you can make it and not blow yourself up in the process.

As for making a gun, that would require knowledge of intricate, precise metal crafting, a blacksmith's tools, and lots of time and money to experiment and craft.

Which, if you follow the backstory of the Gunslinger in Critical Role, is what he did; he studied hard and figured out gunpowder. It was only after his deal with a demon that he got the knowledge for making guns.
>>
>>52808738
How is it not acting?
>>
>>52808871
You cannot actually believe you will get an argument out of that post.
>>
>>52808738
Some of the cast do have stage experience. Sam's done theater before, and most of them were in theater productions while in high school or college. Travis has had roles before on some TV shows (usually as a background character). Ashley's the "biggest" star of them all, being that she is an important character in a prime time network TV show airing right now in the US.
>>
>>52808871
Is shitty acting still acting?
>>
I had never even heard of this guy nor knew that people were live streaming/recording their games till I saw this post, but the autism flooding in from all sides is entertaining. Who knew that people live streaming theirs games could produce the tism it I'm seeing now.
>>
>>52808889
Yes, it's just shit. You said so yourself.
>>
>>52807589
Wtf I hate op now
>>
>>52808914
Their community has a pretty vocal fanbase, for good or ill. The main thing is that they showed up at a pretty lucky time in streaming. 5th edition had just come out, the players and DM had already played these characters in a home game for a couple years in Pathfinder, and their excited talks about the home game when they were at work caught the attention of Felicia Day, back when she was still setting up the Geek and Sundry channel.

She invited them to set up the show, and Matt took it as an opportunity to switch them over to 5th edition to help the publicity for it, as they were able to do giveaways of the books for the first dozen episodes or show to lure watchers in. There were some growing pains from the switch in rules, but the community latched onto the characters. It also exposed a lot of the members of the community to tabletop games as a whole; they'd heard about D&D before, but never actually saw a game. Now, they could see how people play it, and got excited by the notion that they could have games like this.
>>
>>52808886
You'd be hard pressed to find a professional VA that didn't have stage or radio experience.

They're out there, but they're pretty damn rare. Can't expect people to know that though, given that Voice Acting is not-entirely-unjustifiably treated as a fucking meme in the US.

The whole field could be handled a lot better than it is here.
>>
>>52807935
But if it was impossible to succeed on the highest possible roll why would the player be rolling in the first place?
>>
>>52808889
Shitty casting and direction sure isn't.

As is the sperg-ass process of not allowing your VAs to record at the same time and play off of eachother
>>
>>52809068
Because most players, in my experience, throw a fit if you tell them "no you can't because x."

It's easier to to let them roll than listen to them piss and moan about being railroaded even if they are the ones who caused the whole impossible situation in the first place.
>>
>>52807923
no one's even mentioned them.

also try RPGentleman. Because i want to see how you react, not because they're good
>>
>>52808839
Why would gunpowder explode without the use of fire? Don't you just have to take some ingredients, put them together, and then grind them together?

How would gunpowder explode?
>>
>>52807319
Wow I didn't know my post was good enough to be pasta-worthy. Thanks OP, I'm flattered.
>>
>>52807763
>"Totally as good as Matt Mercer, guys!"

If someone was as good at DMing as Matt Mercer, I would never want to play in that person's campaign. Mercer is a fucking awful DM. Anyone who thinks he is good, I fucking pity.
>>
>>52809131
>how would chemicals prone to strong reactions to heat and pressure explode
>>
>>52809151
Are you saying if you grind too hard it might generate enough energy for the whole powder to blow up? That's crazy. Gunpowder would then be, pretty fucking dangerous.
>>
>>52809149
Go ahead, make a post like OP's one about how he isn't a good DM. We will wait. It has to be as long as OP's post, and with the same structure he used.
>>
>>52809068
Because the player doesn't know how difficult something is until they do it, sometimes?
Example: trying to lift a bowling ball but not realizing it's actually an inert neutron star.
>>
>>52809102
First get better players
Second, if you let them roll and they get a twenty, their gonna react the exact same way except they'll have some kind of point
>>
>>52809212
>Get better players
>Implying I haven't tried

In my area it's not the greatest and never really cared much for online. It's weird but they seem to take it better when I point out their roll and skill check wasn't high enough even with a nat 20.
>>
>>52808738
Imagine being such a failure you're salty on a Tanzanian Batik forum
>>
File: cgfrte.jpg (15KB, 289x291px) Image search: [Google]
cgfrte.jpg
15KB, 289x291px
>>52809170
>Are you saying if you grind too hard it might generate enough energy for the whole powder to blow up? That's crazy. Gunpowder would then be, pretty fucking dangerous.
>>
File: LWnswLU.jpg (1MB, 2550x500px) Image search: [Google]
LWnswLU.jpg
1MB, 2550x500px
>>52809149
I don't know anon I think a good DM is a DM who can accommodate for their players and Mercer does that well, he establishes a good setting that gets his players hooked and challenges that they enjoy.

No one is perfect though. He is not much of a rules lawyer so he makes mistakes on that end and balance could be easily destroyed if his players did stuff that they could be doing with the items at their disposal (Percy: Violent Shots, Cabal's Ruin criticals, Vax: Taking advantage of the ready action,ect.) but his players are there mainly for the RP so they don't care so much about that aspect of the game they just want to have fun which Mercer provides them.
>>
>>52807319
First off: Paragraphs are your friend. They help pace your information and organize your flow of ideas. Keep in mind that a paragraph ideally should be a single topic supported by details. This means that not only should you divide what you say into paragraphs, you should also divide what is being said by paragraph.

In addition, paragraphs reduce fatigue in your reader. When you don't divide your text into paragraphs, all the words start to blend together. Lines start to resemble each other and the reader easily loses their place. By making sure you write paragraphs, you ensure that more readers will be able to comprehend your ideas and complaints.

When you write a big old block of text you not only show a lack of respect to your reader, but hinder your ability to best express yourself. You can do so much more.
>>
>>52809170
Yes, that happens with gunpowder. There's a reason it's shipped as hazmat.
>>
>>52809237
Funny as hell, that's the most terrifying thing i could think of.

Fuck off nolan north
>>
>>52809170
>Gunpowder would then be, pretty fucking dangerous.
No shit man. Guess how the Boston Marathon bombers got their explosive material? They literally bought a shit ton of fireworks, took all the powder out of them, and out them in pressure cookers with nails and shit.
>>
>>52809183
He's not. His descriptions are passable at best, facilitating the characters' goals to some degree is a basic GMing skill, if dependent on personal style. At best, he has a nice voice. THat's really it.
>>
>>52808038
You and me both pal.
>>
>>52807319
Grog, Scanlan, and Pike make it worth it
>>
>>52807319
>playing games is serious business
>>
>>52809587
>meme characters are good
>actual logical characters are bad
>>
>>52809020
I understand that this guy Mercer was lucky in his timing, what I'm surprised by is that there is a market for watching streams of tt games.
>>
>>52809733
Streaming is getting way more popular, tabletop games are getting way more popular, Let's Plays have already ballooned in popularity. Seems pretty easy to me.
>>
>>52807319
>every time I hear their voices I want to kill myself.

I agree with a number of your points, and you even left out how awful their combat is, but given your massive rant about stuff people enjoy and how it's ruining your hobby you should probably strap on some headphones, listen to some critical role and swandive off a building.
>>
>>52809614
>Taking a game this seriously.
As if your "creative" characters are any more valid. It's a game bro.
>>
File: 1481190447946.jpg (68KB, 236x267px) Image search: [Google]
1481190447946.jpg
68KB, 236x267px
>>52807420
>420
>>
>>52807994
How successful is fetlife for actual people? And are they all nasty as hell?

I honestly can't imagine it being a super high quality of user.
>>
>>52807319
I'd rather stick needles under my fingernails than watch other people play tabletop games.
>>
>>52808087
>ETA on board gaming becoming as cancerous and trash like vidya?
It already is, anon.
>>
>>52810031
I'd rather stick needles under my fingernails than watch other people play sports.

To each their own.
>>
>>52809882
>Hehe it's just a game bro, so what if being a lolrandom meme character makes the game less fun for other? It's just a game
>>
File: MKcxSyppSD6j6.gif (2MB, 352x217px) Image search: [Google]
MKcxSyppSD6j6.gif
2MB, 352x217px
>it's a "4chan hates something because it is popular" thread
>>
>>52810065
Fair enough, I didn't notice because most recent board game i played is Neuroshima HEX, and in terms of RPG's i played CoC 5.11 and Deadlands
>>
>>52808038
>>52809514
Me too actually, more than that, I miss Heretical Love Quest, but you probably knew that already...
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Heretical_Love

>>52808102
>>52809974
That's actually a pretty interesting question.

On most dating sites, 60% are decent or better looking, and 40% are unfuckable land whales... literally unfuckable in fact, as they tend to be prudes who want long-term total devotion relationships that lead to marriage.

On Fetlife however... It's more like an 80% good looking, 20% are overweight. The thing is, this 20% aren't the Tumblrina types who'll complain about fat shaming, these are the girls who are long past complaining about their weight and decided to get some self-confidence instead, and if They're not already working lose weight, they do at least run on a daily basis(they need the cardio for the more strenuous activities they perform on the site) They're more likely to punch you than deal with your shit, not whine about it. They're also some of the nicest people you'll meet. Getting laid gives you some confidence, whether you're a man or a woman.

Now, as to whether you'll get laid using the site is another matter entirely. On here it's not so much looks as it is skill and confidence. These girls want someone to safely tie them up and spank their tits red, and they can tell in a second just how confident you are in bed. Don't go thinking the Femdom girls want wimps either, they want men, real men, to submit to them, not children between the ages of 20-30.

Fortunately, there's classes for all that. Every community provides free, or nearly free classes for safe instruction on bondage, paddling, and other kinks. Combine that with some fun at the parties and actually getting laid from the classifieds, and you're well on your way to the upper tier girls finding you desirable.
>>
File: Pretty Fucking Dangerous.png (409KB, 1237x569px) Image search: [Google]
Pretty Fucking Dangerous.png
409KB, 1237x569px
>>52809170
My treat
>>
File: Brevity2.png (194KB, 407x624px) Image search: [Google]
Brevity2.png
194KB, 407x624px
>>52807319
OP, spot the fuck on.
anyone who fails to see critical role for what it is is a certified aspie and/or tool who likes being spoonfed contrived comraderie and humor. same retarded ass tribe as pic-related - seriously if you own one of these go fuck yourself to death
>>
File: ASXNSXT - Imgur.gif (7MB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
ASXNSXT - Imgur.gif
7MB, 700x394px
>>52809251
>>52809170
>>52809151
>>52809131
>>52808839
>>52808229

Wandering into this thread, as a chemist, has been a real experience.
>>
>>52810088
I'd rather stick needles under your fingernails than have your fingernails not have needles under them.
>>
>>52808087
>ETA on board gaming becoming as cancerous and trash like vidya?
3rd ed D&D already happened
>>
>>52810637
I'd rather stick fingernails under your needles than have your needles not have fingernails under them
>>
>>52810088
>>52810637
>>52810706
Needleplay is a dangerous practice. Fingernails are a definite no because limited blood flow and tight crevices will slow down the healing process.

Sexual burning is mutually exclusive to subdermal play as well. Cauterization may occur, but it also kills the cells that are trying to heal.

A better option would be to do needleplay, usually on the legs, arms, or scrote, and then do cigarette burns or wax burns elsewhere on the body.
>>
>>52807420
>>420
Stoner post is best post
>>
>>52809814
Well mean sure Lets Plays for video games makes sense because of the visual aspect, you're actually seeing the game footage, but really there is not a whole lot of visual aspect to it is there?
>>
>>52810872
Is this why Podcast Actual Plays tend to be better?
>>
Fingers crossed Liam does not faint from stress today!
>>
>>52807775

I personally don't care for Mercer's gunslinger class either, mostly because I just find it too fiddly though, also it's just a slightly streamlined port of the Pathfinder class.

I mean, I know why he made it, because he was converting his game from Pathfinder to 5e and didn't want to force a player to change class, and that's fair.

...but really a dex-based battlemaster with a gun would have been better all around.
>>
>>52812201
This entire thing so far would have been better suited for Call of Cthulu, not D&D. Plus, I don't really like the fact the characters have very little agency. Choo choo, all aboard the cosmic horrors railroad!
>>
>>52813521
I think he's using the D&D rules for simplicity's sake more than anything else. The first game tried to use their adult selves ported over to D&D rules when the multiverse shattered.

I think tonight's episode is just going to be his love letter to Stringer Things and all the cosmic horror/nightmare fuel that people don't want to admit they sometimes have about the dark.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 642x860px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 642x860px
>>52808330
Is this a JoJo reference?
>>
>>52807319
>guns do not belong in D&D end of story

You should probably tell Wizards that.
>>
File: an00124752_001_l[1].jpg (276KB, 750x1020px) Image search: [Google]
an00124752_001_l[1].jpg
276KB, 750x1020px
>>52807785
>classic dnd ranges from high fantasy to historical fantasy in a medieval to tudor era.
>tudor era.
>tudor
>>
File: again.jpg (62KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
again.jpg
62KB, 460x500px
>>52807652
"Stop liking what I don't like."
>>
Is there a series /tg/ would recommend for a newfag who wants to learn more about d&d?
>>
>>52814687
Critical Role, to be quite honest. Its not a flawless show, but it is pretty fun and its a good representation of how D&D 'should' be played.
Bit long though, so maybe just try Liam's 2nd one-shot. Thats a few hours long and should give you a decent rundown.
>>
>>52807785
You know

It's specifically because of autists like you i now insert guns and gunpowder in every D&D game i GM.
>>
>>52812201
5 bucks says Liam's got cancer or something. There's no way he'd have a monologue for each of them like this unless something is up.
>>
>>52815243
Nah that was just Liam caring about his friends.
>>
>>52815422
Yeah, and that he was able to fight off the nightmares of the voice acting industry with their help.
>>
>>52815243
He's said before that as the game started he wasn't in a very good place mental health-wise, and then his real life went to shit a bit around the time of the game being ported over to stream. But it was due to his friends in the voice acting industry and the CR community that helped get him back on track.

He started being the one that reviewed and looked at all the fanart of the show and it helped him improve his outlook on life.
>>
Jesus christ what the fuck was that.
>>
>>52815518
A guy pouring his soul out to about 20,000 people.
>>
>>52815518
I think that whole text-to-speech portion was the beginning thoughts to a suicide letter he was writing when things were at his worst, but never went through with it thanks to the care and love of his friends and family, both real and adopted.
>>
>>52815516
I never thought I'd come out of this thread feeling sorry for Liam.

So what's Marisha's and Orion's tragic backstories?
>>
>>52815541
I think Marisha's is that she was a nerd girl in rural Kentucky who wanted to do stage acting, theater, etc., etc., and got flack for it as a kid.
>>
File: IhkX44g.jpg (1MB, 1000x1768px) Image search: [Google]
IhkX44g.jpg
1MB, 1000x1768px
>>52815626
I'm starting to think we need a darkest dungeon style tragic backstory comic for all these guys.
>>
>>52815541
Orion had cancer but managed to cope playing some Pathfinder with his friends. Next thing he knows he gets to paid to play it with his buddies. Unfortunately the cancer starts getting worse so he starts asking Geek&Sundry for money so he doesn't die. Due to that and fans not liking him, he got the boot. He eventually beat the cancer but he misses playing with his friends. He wishes he could go back to the old days of just playing in Matt or Liam's house and not have to worry about the people on the internet.
>>
>>52815626
>>52815670
Now what's Matt, Sam and Travis' tragic history?
>>
>>52807936
>>52807984
>swimming up the waterfall
>spawned
I want salmonmen to go and stay go
>>
I like it. It's fun to listen to at work. Mercer is a legitimately good DM. Some of the characters are annoying. Not all of the players are great. That's pretty standard for the course as far as I've seen. I've never heard of a perfect group but hey maybe op has one and that's why he decided to go on 4chan to make a thread bitching about a livestreamed twitch rpg session.
>>
>>52815703
Sam wishes he could have the star power of Travis,Laura and Matt. He thought he'd make it big playing Shirou Emiya. Liam told him that would be his big break but he was forgotten. No one cares about his performance. The only thing he can do is produce Disney Junior shows and smile. He just wants to be a memorable character that people love.

Travis, he had married the succubus known as Laura Bailey. The marriage was amazing when it first started but the sex began to lose it's luster. Matt unkowingly saved their marriage by teaching the magic of roleplaying.

Matt he's engaged to worst girl.
>>
>>52815745
Now the hardest one:
Ashley

inb4 'shes never there'
>>
>>52810578

Quick, without googling, you, and I mean EXACTLY you, tell me who said "brevity is the soul of wit" and the actual context of the joke.
>>
>>52815767
She's just a small time girl. Who wants friends. She was the shy kid in class and always had trouble speaking up. She was bullied mercilessly in school for being a theater nerd. But then she moved to LA, managed to get some actual acting gigs. She had the chance for a big A list movie role but turned it down. She hates herself everyday for it but she manages to cope by having friends like Vox Machina.
>>
>>52815782
Shakespeare
>>
>>52815767
She's got something similar to the Midas Touch: everything she interacts with turns to gold (figuratively speaking), but said success pulls her away from her friends and family back home.
>>
File: 1433300570182s.jpg (3KB, 108x125px) Image search: [Google]
1433300570182s.jpg
3KB, 108x125px
>>52810490
>Every community provides free, or nearly free classes for safe instruction on bondage, paddling, and other kinks.

Holy shit what seriously where do you go to get in on this
>>
>>52815797

I thought as much.
>>
>>52815807
Sign up for fetlife, go to events near you, and find a Munch in your area. A munch is... well, basically showing up to the nearest Denny's or IHOPS to meet up with people from !/d/. You'll meet some cool folks, and spend most of the time chatting with them about nerdy shit, with the occasional comment about their own fetish.

If you're respectful, sociable, and don't give off a creeper vibe, you'll meet someone who can sponsor you for parties and classes.

Classes you'll usually RSVP to online, get the address, and show up on the date.
>>
>>52808087
Why does /tg/ shit on vidya so much? You do know that there's been an overlap between the two mediums since D&D was a thing right?
>>
>>52818487
What if you have trouble being social with strangers? Particularly in groups?
It's always the thing that stopped me.
>>
>>52808886
>Ashley's the "biggest" star of them all, being that she is an important character in a prime time network TV show airing right now in the US.
Also was in Avengers
>>
>>52819287
Although she did get mostly cut out of the final version
>>
>>52807319
30K viewers per show and you're here trying to get your ego sucked off on an anonymous board.
Keep tipping that fedora.
>>
Me and some of my friends are thinking of starting up a PnP podcast, do you guys have any advice?
>>
>>52807923
You know what a really good dnd podcast is?
Adventure Zone.
>>
Was there a specific event that put Liam in that difficult place?
>>
>>52820155
Him losing his hair.
>>
>>52818919
Classes don't usually require a sponsor, so you can still try that.

There's also the local Classifieds group, which is, quite honestly, Craigslist but there are no bots... and it works. I got a threesome out of one girl and her girlfriend from it.
>>
>>52807319
>Scanlan dies
>comes back to life
>dies again
>comes back to life again
>but decides to leave the party
what a stupid fucking way to roll a new character
>>
>>52818884
Vidya is fucking garbage ever since marketing goes to bilboards tv spots and radio.
Western games are made to satisfy the lowest common denominator, where for normalfags skyrim is the pinnacle of narrative and roleplaying, and instant gratification shit like overwatch is the best FPS ever made.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be trash simply because of it coming to consoles as well.
Gaming is dead, since at least Silent Hunter 4

>>52820082
Audacity is great for cleaning up mic.
I managed to fool Wayne June by just using noise filter to make him think i bough a professional mic.
>>
>>52820709
Just because gaming nowadays is trash doesn't mean that a) good games aren't still being released and b) video games have always been trash.

Plus, you can make the case that tabletop panders to the lowest common denominator as well, since D&D is basically the only tabletop game that normies have heard about and 5e is so safe that it barely offers options at all, yet is still the most popular game on sites like roll20.
>>
File: 1492703343432.jpg (21KB, 480x551px) Image search: [Google]
1492703343432.jpg
21KB, 480x551px
ITT
>>
>>52807589
Nice blog post
>>
>>52807319
>Yeah, 90% of people are shit at GMing, but that doesn't mean this dumb-ass is a gifted savant

Someone who is in the top 10 is by definition, much better than 90%
>>
>>52807319
>Why the fuck would you want to watch these people play their shitty boring campaign when you could go out and do it yourself?

Because "going out" will definetly not gove me a superior experience.
>>
>>52820828
I feel like I'm less bombarded by shitty normalfags in tabletop environment than in vidya.
Not seeing posters for 5e everywhere is nice too, in contrast to seeing NEW HIP GAEM, with marketing budget bigger or equal to developement budget
>>
>move to new town
>try out a few groups that were looking for one more
>didn't fit in with any of them
>decide to watch some internet videos to scratch my itch

Nigga actin like we all just have great gms/players around who play regularly at a good time for you.
>>
>>52821022
Well obviously this is true if you only play with friends that you've known for a while but once you try to get new players either from college or roll20, then that's when you'll meet the undesirables that infect the hobby.
>>
>>52807319

>watching people play games

People that need surrogate friends should just kill themselves.
>>
>>52820656
I get it in the sense of "Oh damn, I'm such a shitter that you're better off without me". It doesn't work too well when the party is at such a high level though.
>>
>>52821535
True but in a way he tried to steer it more towards the whole "not a single fucker here knows anything about me." Which turned out to be shockingly true, I never thought about it because I had assumed they learned about each other before going on stream.

If he had played that up way more instead of bringing the whole "I'm weak" into especially when he's been clutch in some shit situations, it would have been better.
>>
>>52820656
I blame Matt for not having death mean anything
>>
>>52821573
I felt bad that at the end of the day Scanlan gave no shits about Grog
>>
>>52821661
He tries, to be fair. His rules are at least slightly less lenient than the default ones.
>>
>>52821692
>I know that feel

I get he's the dumb strong guy but Travis just does Grog so well I can't help but like him.
>>
>>52821661
>>52821826
Didn't he implement a system where each time you die the DC to come back goes up?
>>
File: IMG_1978.jpg (18KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1978.jpg
18KB, 214x200px
>>52807589
All this butthurt for three little words.
>>
>>52820131
I'm going to poison your fucking dog tonight. Or your cat. And I'm going to take two very loose shits on both your front porch and the hood of your car.

It's not punishment enough for you to simply live with such poor taste. You must suffer.
>>
File: The Adventure Zone Flat_76.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Adventure Zone Flat_76.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
Haven't gotten into Critical Role, so far seems a bit too cutesy self-aware try-hard.
However, Adventure Zone is pretty fun.
>>
>>52821868
>yfw "Fix him!" happened
>>
>>52822240
Huh, I'd have said it was the other way round
No accounting for taste, I guess
>>
File: 1467154785772.png (320KB, 625x351px) Image search: [Google]
1467154785772.png
320KB, 625x351px
>>52822316
>Mfw
>>
>>52821969
Why don't you like it?
>>
File: 1451299293382.png (647KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
1451299293382.png
647KB, 618x618px
>>52814179
using a matchlock in a longbow fight
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>52807319
>>
>>52807319
Someone's a little jealous, because they are popular and don't play like a certain person.
>Gotta play DnD one way and one way only.
>>
>>52807319
spacing is your friend, don't waste the effort next time.
>>
>>52820656
Sam was gone the session where they rezzed him. He probably wanted to roll a new character but was gypped out of it the group.
>>
>>52824482
It says right in the spell the soul has to be willing and able to return. He could have just told Matt to not bring him back even if they tried, also he was talking about in the Thordak fight where he got revived right away.
>>
>>52807785
you know they made guns before the industrial revolution right?
>>
>>52809068
you don't have a 5% chance of succeeding at everything you try no matter how absurd
That's retarded
>>
>>52821888
Yeah he did.
>>
>>52819287
And she was Ellie in The Last of Us
>>
>>52820656
Wait what? What happened? I stopped watching after the best player, the dragon guy, left the show.

I couldn't bear the show's awkwardness after that event.
>>
>>52825049
>Dragon guy
>Best player

Yeah a metagamer was the best guy on that show 2/10 bait.
>>
>>52822240
Adventure Zone is Reddit trash.
>>
>>52825154
>didn't even answer my question
And you call me bait?
>>
@52825169
Why would I? You're obviously fishing for (you)s
>>
>>52807785
No shut the fuck up and go look up Murlynd right the fuck now you uneducated sack of shit.

If guns didn't belong in D&D why were they there from very nearly the beginning?
>>
>>52808152
How about Wishing for massive tears in the fabric of reality? When did that come?
>>
>>52820709
Not him, but do you have any advice for getting a decent, affordable mic? My group has been streaming for a bit but we're using the webcams for audio and it sounds like we're underwater.
>>
Is this going to be a weekly thread now?
>>
>>52808889
Is shitty shitting still shitting?
>>
File: beaker breakdown.gif (208KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
beaker breakdown.gif
208KB, 400x225px
>>52827259
>tfw you see an interesting unrelated conversation in a ragethread
>replying to the non-rage means bumping the rage
I don't know what to do, man.
>>
>>52807923
Why not thatdndpodcast then?
>>
>>52807923
My dog died last year.
Have you tried those faggot McElroy brothers and their faggot cum-gargling voices?
>>
>>52827378
its easy newfag type sage in the options field
>>
>>52807923

My dog died two years ago.
Everyone should really check out Adventure Zone.
Also My Brother, My Brother and Me is fantastic, everyone should give the McElroy brothers all their money, and also check out their show on Seeso or whatever, mostly just because >>52807923 is a faggot.
>>
>>52807319
Just listen to Adventure Zone
>>
>>52807613

In Medieval Europe gunpowder weapons (including primitive handguns) predate full plate. If you have full plate in a setting then you can certainly justify early cannons and handguns.
>>
There was a podcast I used to listen to called "Drunks and Dragons ". First season had one annoying that guy, but he left. Pretty funny at points. Consists of gay sounding but cool dude Tim, his girlfriend (they don't act lovey dovey), and some badass dude whose name I forgot. DM was solid, and the plot wasn't bad. It feels a ton more real than Critical Role.
>>52827836
Seemed good but dad made me cringe
>>
>>52807589
Baited hard.
>>
>>52807589

You sound fat and unpleasant.
>>
>>52827961
Clint is the best part of that show.

Griffin is the worst.
>>
>>52827961
But you literally just described critical role
>>
>>52828222
But they feel like real people having fun, like it's just dudes recording a game instead of putting on a show. That's how It's different. Plus less characters, and a better DM.
>>
>>52807319
Awwww.....poor neckbeard edgelord is butthurt that he isnt the famous one
>>
>>52823836
reddit
>>
>>52807319
You sound like a douche
>>
>>52821888
Yes.

DC 10 the first time, three people can help. Success lowers DC by two, failure increases it by one. Each resurrection roll, success or fail, (e.g. You use Revivify rather than Raise Dead and fail, the DC goes up for a subsequent Raise Dead attempt) increases the DC by 5, so if you die twice and need a Raise Dead both times, then the DC to start with will be 20, and can be reduced by up to 6 if everybody succeeds.

True Resurrection and Wish can obviate the need for a resurrection roll, but in either case if the soul doesn't want to return, then it can't be forced to.

Basically, after the first couple of Raise Dead rituals, you're going to find it harder and harder to come back to life.
>>
>>52807319
>allowing one's campaign to degenerate into comedy
If your game sucks, it's because you're a shitty GM. If your players are misbehaving, it's because you're a shitty GM. If you honestly get triggered by ridiculous shit like Critical Role, you're a shitty GM. Are you sensing a pattern? You're a shitty GM.
>>
>>52828124
You sound like a rainbow-haired cuck.
>>
>>52807420
I liked early Tiberius. Orion was also the only one capable of learning the rules.
>>
>>52832160
What if you run a comedy campaign in the first place?
>>
>>52833146
He metagamed like crazy in ways that stand out a lot looking back. Apparently at some point he said he had a poor understanding of D&D in that he thought the DM was out to kill everyone, so he treated the game a lot more competitively. So it's likely he's not an asshole or anything, he just came to the game with a mindset that didn't fit and made the game less pleasant for the others and the viewers.
>>
>>52833588
It's strange he didn't manage to figure it out during their two-year pre-stream game
>>
>>52833611
Maybe they were less inclined to do something about it when it was a private game that let a group of friends have fun together. If he did a lot of the stuff he did on CR itself for that long, Matt's a trooper.
>>
Critical Role thread? So before I read, how many people have posted about how awful Marisha is because they confuse her for her character in ways that never happen for anyone else?
>>
>>52833611
It's strange the rest of the cast haven't figure out the basic rules by now, yet here we are.
>>
>>52808293
I would watch other people play D&D because I've always been interested in D&D, but never had many friends that were interested in playing. The one group of people I managed to get into a game with were super weird goth types and the party was captured by the BBEG and sexually tortured and branded. Suffice to say I never went back to that group after that session.

On the other hand sitting around for 3+ hours passively watching other people play seems kind of boring so I just stick to playing vidya like Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, or Dragon's Dogma and pretend I'm playing a virtual game of D&D.
>>
>>52833619
Matt might've shifted his style of GMing a bit, too. They used to play once every month or two, but had much longer sessions. Maybe he used to try and cram as much challenge and excitement into these rarer sessions
>>
>>52833641
If I played Pathfinder in a party of eight as my first experience, I would probably have a skewed idea of D&D too.
>>
>>52807319
>*smirks* rules lawyers need not apply
Dropped. Acting superior about not knowing the rules is one thing I can't stand.
>>
>>52833656
Keep us updated on everything you decide isn't for you, anon.
>>
>>52833626
Marisha has the grand total of two settings: "See, I'm being dramatic, I talk slowly" and "See, I'm being melodramatic, I stutter", that's it. Sure, she's different from Keyleth, but she's still a shitty actress.
And it's not like Liam is much different. I suppose he's a better voice director than an actual actor
>>
Taryon is more entertaining than Scanlan ever was. Sam's improvised song parodies were fun but Scanlan didn't have much of a character, to where the dramatic shift he took just before leaving kind of rang hollow. I think Sam knew this, which is probably why he started working the drug addict angle, but it didn't really take so he decided to just start anew.
>>
>>52833664
Right, I forgot to format my post properly for 4chan. What I meant was, acting superior about not knowing the rules is shit, everyone who does it is a cunt, it is objectively wrong and bad, and no one is allowed to do it.

You are a cunt also.
>>
>>52833666
See, I don't even associate Keyleth with either of those as much as awkwardness. But also I've see people call her awkwardness attention whoring on Marisha's part while Travis never gets accused of anything when he has Grog do a dumb thing for its own sake that doesn't relate to the scene.
>>
>>52833679
Yup, seems like it. Also, it simply wouldn't have made sense for Scanlan to not ressurect due to his promise. I suppose VM bring his daughter into the ritual and making him unable to cover up his breach of the promise provided him with a good excuse to retire the character
>>
>>52833588
It seemed clear he wasn't an asshole, just the awkward guy who was technically a friend of the group but no single person in it ever liked him that much. He tried to pull his character in a bunch of directions to try to fit in better and impress people but he just ended up metagaming and making poorly timed jokes.
>>
>>52833689
I was being dismissive because you misinterpreted a disclaimer that clearly meant "we might not play quite like you do, hopefully you can still enjoy this" as some smug flouting of the rules.
>>
>>52833693
I think Grog's gimmick got old 10 episodes in and I wish people would stop praising him like he's an actually good character. He's a goddamn mute when he isn't being a retard
>>
>>52833693
Travis almost never tries to pull spotlight toward him for any prolonged period of time. Essentially, Grog, Scanlan and Percy (and Pike, but she's never around anyway) are supporting characters for the half-elf drama team
>>
>>52833721
Also, don't get me wrong, all of the characters are fairly two-dimensional, it's just less jarring when they don't give lengthy monologues
>>
>>52833717
He kind of has to be. Travis is clearly a smart guy, but cares about being in character to the point where it pains him visibly at times that that 6 in his intelligence means it wouldn't make sense for him to suggest something. He's amazing in that evil one-shot where he played the smart half-orc, and I like a lot of people hope when and if they start a new party he plays a smart character.
>>
>>52807923
No idea who you're talking about, but poison any dogs and I'll step out of the next dark shadow and slit your throat. I like dogs.
>>
>>52833741
>letting poor stats completely dictate your RPing
mental stats were a mistake
>>
Not an /r9k/ faggot but holy shit the women in this show represent every single negative stereotype
>loud and annoying
>keep distracting from the game to make STUPID jokes every 30 seconds
>don't actually know what to do moment-to-moment, their turns take forever full of ummms and uhhhhs and repeating questions
>>
>>52833766
He does have Grog get flashes of intelligence at times, either playing it off like he doesn't even realize what he just said or taking one psychic damage as a joke. I do think he could play to wisdom more than he does if he wanted to, being a goliath barbarian who'd have learned a thing or two out of experience if not the exact science or whatever of it, but he obviously enjoys playing the illiterate dumbass, considering he does stuff like go to make deals alone solely for the sake of having Grog offer to give more than he had to without anyone to stop him.
>>
>>52833820
>loud and annoying
Apllies to a few of the guys too

>keep distracting from the game to make STUPID jokes every 30 seconds
>don't actually know what to do moment-to-moment, their turns take forever full of ummms and uhhhhs and repeating questions
Applies to the whole group
>>
>>52833820
The guys do it too. Travis least because as a barbarian his turn consists of deciding whether to rage, deciding whether to use reckless, and then swinging away. Stupid jokes is definitely everyone including Matt, so it's clearly just how that group is.
>>
>>52807319
>this op
>this many posts
>this is on the front page
And people say /tg/ hasn't turned to shit.
>>
>>52833880
Thread stopped being about OP's dumb grudge against a stranger quite a while ago.
>>
>>52810578
I take CR for what it is, which is an entertaining twitch show...
>>
>>52820709
Overwatch is a good game. Although it's just a rip off of TF2 with more crazy shit tacked on, it's a good game.
>>
Ashley is pretty good though.
>>
>>52834087
Yup. She's a pretty nice blend of adorable and crass. Whenever other people portra Pike, though, they concentrate on the former
>>
>>52825155
Not a fan of Adventure Zone personally. Too filled with normie memes like playing an animated bag of trash..
>>
>>52807319
you posted this exact shit in a thread back in march

stop being a retard
>>
>>52834132
this is the new pasta, stop being trolled
>>
>>52809170
Yeah, man. I mean, like, it's ALMOST as if this stuff was used to launch 3000 lb 18.1" shells at super sonic speeds up to 26 miles away from the guns on the Yamato.
>>
>>52815782
Polonius in Hamlet said it.
I don't remember what exactly he was saying but he was essentially rambling on and on and kept building up to say something. Somewhere in his ramblings he says brevity is the soul of wit. It's funny because he wasn't being brief. What do I win for remembering shit that high schoolers are supposed to read.
>>
>>52808738
But what if your passion is a mix of acting and video games? It seems like they have a good life with good friends so I don't really see them as the fuckups that you do.
>>
>>52833637
Yeah, I'm someone who developed an intense interest in DND late in my college career but didn't have a group. A friend back home started running a fantastic Edge of the Empire campaign and I played a lot for a summer but then work took me away so I can't play right now. My job is super boring but I can listen to CR while I work so there's a silver lining.

Am I Ashley?
>>
>>52833679
>>52833696
Props to Sam for knowing when something was getting old. Might not have been immediate, but I feel like he eventually realized that they fell into a pattern.
>>
>>52807936
thats only if the dm is a retard
>>
Who was your favorite guest character?
Favorite npc?
>>
YO HELP A GUY OUT

what are some fun podcasts to listen to?
>>
File: 1461736930720.jpg (183KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1461736930720.jpg
183KB, 1067x1600px
>>52807319
>Was pretty into Critical Role when it first started
>Enjoyed it for a while
>The entire Briarwood arc was great
>The Kevdak arc was great
>The fight against Umbrasyl was great
>The final showdown against Ripley was great
>Started losing interest after the fight with Vorugal was so dull
>Start getting bored when every PC "death" is undone immediately
>Figure "Hey, it's a high level game. Resurrection is going to happen. It can't get that bad."
>Hold on and figure the build up and fight with Thordak is going to be great
>They just walk through a sewer and are right in front of him
>"Ok, maybe the actual battle will be entertaining!"
>It sucks.
>Try and stick with it, maybe Raishan will be interesting.
>She's tracked down easily and dealt with.
>Still want to see if it gets better.
>Sam's new character gets me interested.
>Everything starts getting really repetitive again.

I haven't watched it in a good while, has it gotten interesting again or are they still in a funk?
>>
>>52836552
They're timeskipping, and presumably going to battle either Vecna or Orcus as the final arc. Personally, I'd recommend skipping the part where they go to the Hells, if you haven't seen it. It is pretty boring.
>>
>>52836830
Yeah, I tuned out before they went to the hells. Last one I saw was them against the kraken. Timeskip is probably for the best.
>>
>>52808772
And saving throws.
>>
>>52808839
Remember fantasy settings have loads of people with lifespans much longer than humans also. Actually, some humans do too.

Picture any prominent scientist from the real world. Give them hundreds of years to live (presumably the ones whose mental state decayed won't be fucked up until much later). Then put them in a world where magic can answer questions for you and magical creatures provide fantastical new materials to work with.

At that point I'd be willing to accept monster hunter levels of bullshit technology.
>>
>>52807319
It's called an Enter key, fuckstick. Use it now and again.
>>
>>52836904
Lol, the Kraken was such a shitshow, I think a Plane of Water's worth of booze had been knocked back before the stream started. Personally I like CR, but one very valid point that's been brought up a couple of times is Mercer's lack of Tucker's Kobolds. He prefers to bloat HP and AC (despite every one of his GM tips saying to do more than that) instead of playing creatures up to be intelligent adversaries with tactics and a sense of self-preservation.
>>
>>52833711
No, it wasn't.
>>
>>52837763
Yeah they got pretty drunk and it showed really bad.
>>
>>52807420
>Sam is pretty good in comparison to everyone else but as his new character shows he doesn't have that much range
Just playing devil's advocate, what if Sam has been shoehorned by the fans into forever being the comic relief? Yeah, Scanlan was the funny man with the jokes and everyone knows that Sam is the wittiest of the group and can think up one liners at any moment. I'm sure Sam's antics are what keep a fraction of the "critters" around and so Sam has to always play the comic relief to keep those fans happy
>>
>>52837763
>Mercer's lack of Tucker's Kobolds
Sorry, what's this mean? My newfag is showing
>>
>>52844707
Enemies that use strategy/tactics. Comes from an article about a DM that used kobolds to wreck an unwitting party
>>
Orion Acaba proxy-begging to return to the show - truly, he's out of his mind
>>
>>52846856
Oh lord, what now with the C-man? This is recent?
>>
>>52846856
>Orion Acaba proxy-begging to return to the show

Elaborate?
>>
File: 1echzp.jpg (25KB, 591x336px) Image search: [Google]
1echzp.jpg
25KB, 591x336px
I never watched Critical Role.

What does the Cards Against Humanity comparison mean?

Like as vehicle for spouting edgy terrible 4chan style shock humor for hours on end?

Or do you mean just treating it as a social game to have use as a way to hang out with friends?

Former I understand complaining about and makes me happy I never watched it but the later is a perfectly fine.
>>
>>52846983
>>52846934
There has been a cloud of negativity I would like to dissipate regarding why I left Critical Role.
Here is your answer= I left the show for more than just a single reason.
1. My medical health needed desperate attention.
2. My mental health needed desperate attention.
3. I was in a deep depression for years and it came to a head during the show.
4. I felt like I had become a burden to my friends and colleagues and was becoming a bitter person.
5. I needed to take care of myself.
Now for the other questions.
Am I still friends with the group?
Yes.
I've known Liam, Sam, Matthew, Marisha and Taliesin for years and I love them. I still chat with Travis as well. Ashley and Laura I still run into at events and there is always a big hug waiting for me from them.
Am I coming back to Critical Role?
Perhaps
I've been focusing all my energy in making Draconian Knights which at first was just a project to maintain my sanity.
Now that I'm at a different and healthier place in my life, the show has become more easier to produce and given the extra energy to spend, I would be more than happy to come back to my game.
I own Tiberius Stormwind and as far as timeline goes I'll just say this= Doctor Who. The rest depends on Matthew and the group and what Matthew has planned. If you want me back let them know.
That's something I'd like everyone to remember, that that game, IS my game.
I just had to jettison before I did any harm or bring any negative storms to the group or the show. Just because I'm not there now doesn't mean people can pick me apart and feel like they're entitled to the answers that I have just now felt comfortable enough to share.
To my fans and supporters I thank you for your love and patience. The fans I acquired from the show have helped me in so many ways, from letters, messages,donations, gear, games, subbing to my YouTube so I can create more, therefore staying positive and productive, and just an outright showing of compassion.
>>
>>52847054

I had to cut off the end cos it was too long, but it's from his instagram/twitter.

"If you want me back let them know." <- the relevant part
>>
From Orion's instagram:

>There has been a cloud of negativity I would like to dissipate regarding why I left Critical Role. Here is your answer = I left the show for more than just a single reason.
>1. My medical health needed desperate attention.
>2. My mental health needed desperate attention.
>3. I was in a deep depression for years and it came to a head during the show.
>4. I felt like I had become a burden to my friends and colleagues and was becoming a bitter person.
>5. I needed to take care of myself.

>Now for the other questions.
>Am I still friends with the group?
>Yes.
>I've known Liam, Sam, Matthew, Marisha and Taliesin for years and I love them. I still chat with Travis as well. Ashley and Laura I still run into at events and there is always a big hug waiting for me from them.

>Am I coming back to Critical Role?
>Perhaps
>I've been focusing all my energy in making Draconian Knights which at first was just a project to maintain my sanity.
>Now that I'm at a different and healthier place in my life, the show has become more easier to produce and given the extra energy to spend, I would be more than happy to come back to my game.
>I own Tiberius Stormwind and as far as timeline goes I'll just say this= Doctor Who. The rest depends on Matthew and the group and what Matthew has planned. If you want me back let them know.

(1/2)
>>
>>52847096

>That's something I'd like everyone to remember, that that game, IS my game.
>I just had to jettison before I did any harm or bring any negative storms to the group or the show. Just because I'm not there now doesn't mean people can pick me apart and feel like they're entitled to the answers that I have just now felt comfortable enough to share.

>To my fans and supporters I thank you for your love and patience. The fans I acquired from the show have helped me in so many ways, from letters, messages,donations, gear, games, so I can create more, therefore staying positive and productive, and just an outright showing of compassion. For this I am forever grateful.
>I won't entertain any further theories, rumors or hearsay, and I hope all of you can respect me enough to accept that.
> to you all.
>Thank you.

(2/2)
>>
>>52847082
Seems pretty reasonable honestly. If he does want to come back the deciding factor will probablybe fan popularity
>>
>>52847082
>>52847273
Oh that's not recent at all, that's old as piss. I know it's old because Tiberious is dead as fuck in CR, never coming back.
As much as I wanna see the best in people, I could tell Orion was just an angry guy from episode 1, the kind where you walk on eggshells around them for fear of setting them off. No matter how he wants to pretty it up, his ass got the boot, you didn't even need to know he cursed out a fan on Twitter before the fateful episode to know without a shadow of a doubt that he was kicked. CR was the best thing to happen to him and his career, and he knew it. Probably the reason why he went so nutty over it.
>>
>>52847049
Competition for who can be the funniest, trying to make a pun/joke out of everything. Humor is good a table but it gets grating when it is non-stop joking.
>>
>>52807319
Yep. Looks like Dungeons and Dragons has finally cemented its place as a containment RPG.

It's not like this wasn't already a thing. Ever since third edition came out the trend was already starting. Fourth edition came with the popularity surge of The Big Bang Theory which resulted in a spike in sales, which was not enough to save 4e's badly-written mechanics.

Fifth edition was specifically watered down to be palatable both to grognards (who do not rely on the active D&D community nor do they need a new ruleset, thus this pandering was stupid) and to normies, who flocked to the game in great masses thanks to the game's appearance on two terrible TV shows (Stranger Things and Big Bang Theory). Also, the prevalence of Critical Role podcast created quite a lot of love for D&D, which found itself inundated by waves of new players. Wizards of the Coast saw sales skyrocketing, giving them the false message that dumbing down the game represented an improvement in game design (though they did streamline many of the mechanics, which *was* a good thing). As a result, Wizards is very happy with this diluting of the Dungeons and Dragons fanbase. /tg/ has also deluded itself into thinking this influx of players is a good thing. This lack of foresight is to be expected.

D&D is now the containment RPG. It keeps the dumb-ass Skyrim addicts and the brain-dead hipster roasties who can't even figure out which die to roll, out of the good RPGs. Which is sad, because D&D, despite being shit in many small ways, was overall a very fun and enjoyable roleplaying game. It was structured that way. However, the fanbase it is now attracting is making it intolerable, and the way said fanbase is guiding the mechanics is a direction that would make a game like Dungeon World seem sophisticated.

So, in short, D&D is dead, but thank god for its existence.
>>
>>52847446
Then listen to another actual play podcast?
>>
>>52847419

The recent part is he just up and issued a statement, necro'ing the hell out of a dead topic.
>>
>>52815745
>Travis, he had married the succubus known as Laura Bailey. The marriage was amazing when it first started but the sex began to lose it's luster. Matt unkowingly saved their marriage by teaching the magic of roleplaying.
Whenever Laura gets lewd at the table you can see Travis light up, it's magical.
>>
>>52847513
I was responding to someone who asked what the cards against humanity comparison meant you autist.
>>
>>52847096
>>52847117
>giving this much of a shit about a fictional character
autism
>>
>>52847622
Oh, he mentioned coming back on the show? Like in the past month or something? I know he's having hard times because he started offering voice lessons, but that's pretty sad, haha. Doesn't he know >>52847857 his MAGNUM OPUS is rotting in a shallow grave right now?
>>
>>52847914

Today, and he suggested the community should pester the cast to have him brought back.
>>
>>52847914
See i wouldn't mind if Orion came back humbled and basically played a Lich version of his Character

But he doesn't have the maturity or talent to pull it off
>>
Is Liam's speech what caused Orion to want to come back enough to bring this all up now?
>>
>>52848205
There was a facebook discussion on the crit role fan page where he's a member, it got pretty intrusive. He gave a reply this morning.
>>
>>52837763
There's also the fact that the Kraken's big sticking point - the whole grappling and hard to escape tentacles - and the lack of mobility in water and disadvantage on attacks with not daggers/tridents could have been avoided if Marisha had copied over her spells properly and knew she could cast Freedom of Movement.

She didn't know she could cast it thanks to their move from Pathfinder to 5th edition, and was always focusing on her higher end spells and not bother with the lower end ones once they got to 6th level spells and up.
>>
>>52847962
I think that Matt asked Orion if how he described his character's death dying while trying to fend off the attack from Vorugal on his homeland was one he was happy with before introducing that scene to the cast and fans.

I would hope that if Orion does come back, he just re-rolls a new character for him to play, because it's just not going to work if a level 16 or 17 Tiberius randomly shows up one day and goes, "Hi VM, it's Tiberius Stormwind. Heard you were having some deity problem, want my help?" Especially after all the emotion the characters and cast had after finding out Tiberius' fate.

That would be such an ass-pull that I think it would create a huge rift in the community.
>>
>>52849502
I have a feeling Orion is a bit too stuck on his dragonfurry to make a new character
>>
>>52850202
Agreed, which is why he shouldn't come back.

If he was willing to roll up a new character then I'd consider it, but even then if I was that group I would say no. They stall out hardcore in combat right now, adding an 8th would be the worst thing to do for that group.

Maybe once this show ends and Matt lets them start anew with all new characters, then he could rejoin, because maybe not all of the current cast comes back for one reason or another.
>>
>>52850272
Orion was also the biggest reason they stalled out of combat, so going from a game where combat is slow as balls, but story flows reasonably, to a complete standstill overall sounds horrible.

Plus, he was a spot light hogging, meta gaming, rules lawyering little fuck boy.
>>
>>52837763
Makes sense, Matt is clearly a very gentle DM, he knows his players are on the incompetent side of D&D players and cultivates his combat encounters to match that
>>
>>52807589
nothing personal kid
>>
>>52847451
Has there ever been a case of someone not heavily autistic using the term "containment rpg"?

The term itself screams "i was bullied for my autism and D&D was my safe haven so now normies go into it I have to play some worthless OSR clone REEE"
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.