[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've been with my current tabletop group for a while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 147580152529.jpg (131KB, 701x1000px) Image search: [Google]
147580152529.jpg
131KB, 701x1000px
So, I've been with my current tabletop group for a while now, a few years, and in that time I've made a lot of characters. Of those characters, there's a pretty reasonable ratio of male to female characters, somewhere in the area of 2:1 or 3:1 in the male character's favor.

But every single time, without fail, if I play a male character, they almost immediately either die, or the campaign falls apart. I've had 1 male character last 3 sessions before the campaign fell apart, and there was a 6 month gap between two of the sessions. I've had 2 other male characters that technically lasted 2 sessions respectively, and literally every other single male character I've played has lasted 1 session.

Meanwhile, with one exception, all of my female characters have been long running, popular, well-remembered characters who were central to their parties and campaigns.

I'm normally not the superstitious type, but I'm really starting to feel like I'm cursed. I was making an effort to only play male characters, but the campaigns were falling apart after 1 or 2 sessions without fail, like clockwork. Then a played a fish-girl, and that campaign hasn't missed a session in 9 weeks.

I don't want to be 'that guy' who always plays females, and technically in terms of sheer numbers, if not playtime, I've played more male characters, but I'm really starting to feel like 'that guy'.

What do I do? Am I doomed to this fate?
>>
>>52803749
There is nothing that guy about making female characters as long as you don't make it weird.
>>
Here's the question OP- What are the differences in your approach between playing a male character and playing a female character?
>>
>>52803749

Sounds to me like you're making male characters in bad campaigns, or making bad male characters in general.

Describe three of your female characters to us, and then describe three of your male characters.
>>
>>52803771
Nothing as far as I can tell.

Hell, one of my 'female' characters was a shapeshifter, I literally flipped a coin right before we started to determine what gender they would be when they first showed up, and then because of a suspicious templar, I got locked into that form unintentionally, and everyone just thought of the character as female from that point forward.
>>
>>52803814
Alright, I'll alternate female/male

>Akira
Young warrior from a far away barbarian tribe. Daughter of a great warchief, she was trained to become a warchief herself when she became of age. An immensely talented warrior, but rash and stubborn as a leader, and ended up leading a large raiding party to their deaths, disgracing her in the eyes of their god, and leading to her exile. Wandering the lands in search of a way to find redemption and grow as a person, she ended up being conscripted into the party to help investigate a dangerous area, and as she grew closer with the party, took on a sort of mentor role with one of the other characters, a former gladiator who was trying to learn how to become a real warrior. He learned the art of war and real combat, and she learned about being a leader and more level headed and realistic. She started out slightly angsty and very withdrawn, but quickly became much more boisterous and outgoing. Deep sense of honor and loyalty, would often try and push for others to be better people around her.
>>
>>52804004
>Solomon Abel
This was an orc I played in a shadowrun game. A street sam as I recall. He was sort of like The Punisher, but with a religious angel. He was former SWAT, or whatever the Russian equivalent is, I don't recall. Anyways, he had seen the sin the plagued the new world, the vice, the greed, the debauchery, the complete disgusting lack of regard for another person's life, and the spiritual decay that had infested civilization. One day he had an epiphany, it had all welled up in him, and he became convinced it was his holy mission to rid the world of this sin and bring apocalypse to this festering hell-hole of a world. The way he phrased it, when questioned, wasn't that he thought God came to him with this message, that the world needed to be cleansed, but that God had been broadcasting this message to the entire world, through every injustice and vile act purported, he was just the only one who listened. His session fell apart after 2 half-sessions, but a lot of that was just because of most of us not being fans of shadowrun. The most notable character thing he did was befriend a possibly crazy man who believed himself to have time traveled there from the eastern front of WWII, seeing good in him. The only other notable thing that happened before the session fell apart, he had made a plan to cause a meltdown and explosion in a nuclear powerplant that had been serving as a base for a dangerous gang, who had occupied it and the surrounding territories. Unfortunately, we never got that far.
>>
>>52804101
>Heather Space
This was in a Weird West campaign. Infamous space bandito who was hiding from inter-galactic law on a desolate, remote, uncivilized planet (earth). Possessing powers of warping space time, creating portals, altering gravity, creating copies of herself, that sort of thing. She joined a local band of adventuring outlaws as a way to occupy her time while hiding out on this planet, doing what she did best, robbing freight, black mail, and generally causing chaos for a profit. Extremely campy and over the top, shouting out the names of special attacks, things like that. She looked down on earth and earth civilization, and came off as quite arrogant because of that, but had genuine affection for her party members, and occasional real respect for some of the magic user's abilities. Despite her mostly silly, joke-character exterior, deep down she was a really jaded, cynical person, who did spend some ammount of time trying to convince one of the other party members whom she was closest to to stop giving a shit and do whatever he wanted, regardless of the consequences, because she genuinely thought that was the best way to live and that he would be happier that way. A lot of good use of her powers were made, and there was some good fish-out-of-water stuff we had going on as well.
>>
>>52804146
>Jet
Jet was from a headspace game that we ended up not continuing, though we had originally planned to. He was a runner, so his powers ended up being mostly revolving around hacking into cars and controlling them with his mind, doing vehicular combat and whatnot. The most memorable things with him ended up just being by far the most powerful character in the party, driving vans and cars into enemies with his mind, and at one point we were interrogating someone in our base, and Jet backed a truck over their head when we were done, killing him, which the others thought was going too far. Which I really don't get, the guy knew our faces and where our base was, we couldn't have let him live, but whatever. Personality wise, Jet ended up being more of a scumbag than I intended. His backstory, to summarize, was as follows. He grew up with his single mother and a younger sister, very poor. He was the man of the house at a young age, and provided much needed money for them. He found it suffocating though, he had to get out of the house, live free of the burden, so he eventually ran away, and got a job getting footage for a big news corporation. He made some deal where they would send a portion of his paychecks to his family, but never checked on them in all those years. When a big tsunami hit, he went back to see if they were okay for the first time since he ran away, and found out they starved to death years ago, shortly after he left, and the corporation had been pocketing his money. He had a bunch of other shit like that in his backstory, the running theme being him running away from his problems.
>>
>>52804188
>Marais
Marais is a sort of fish-girl, a Swamp Person, sort of creature from the black lagoon-esque. She comes from a society of swamp-folk rednecks. Her backstory is possibly the most extensive of any character I've played, playing out like a southern gothic novel more often than not. She comes from what was once a wealthy family that's been going down hill over the years, her mother is deeply jealous of her more well off sister, and beats her children, stuff like that. Eventually Marais was caught doing the horizontal tango with her cousin, from the side of the family her mom hates, and after the ensuing fall-out, ran away from home. The setting is a fairly light-hearted, kitchen sink type fantasy world. She's in a party with another young runaway, a magic duelist on the run from his former military academy, and a relatively older assassin character, who had some trouble in his home town too. They've had a great deal of success adventuring, putting together well thought out plans and carrying them through mostly without a hitch, and have all helped each other grow as people. Marais herself is somewhat jolly and outgoing, curious, and sometimes a bit skeptical. Makes a point of avoiding talking about her past, and still has some very deep rooted issues regarding mothers.
>>
>>52804249
>Deke Wilson
Deke Wilson is an investigative journalist, fedora, suit, cigarette, and notepad always in hand. He had a knack for investigating not just the paranormal, but also reporting on the people who are fascinated and attatched to the paranormal. He recently started following around a highly energetic, possibly insane paranormal investigator (The Host with the Most, the Man called Ghost, host of True Paranormal Radio), not just giving him a platoform upon which to investigate the paranormal, but capturing the story of this strange, angry, angry man. Deke Himself is mostly cool and collected, though it's not impossible for something to truly, deeply disturb him (they went to an Italian restaurant that didn't serve coffee of any kind). But for the most part he's hard-nosed and straight talking, prone to wordy inner-monologues about his current situation. He has a sort of Rod Serling quality to him and his delivery. The campaign doesn't take itself very seriously, two of the other characters are even more ridiculous, and the fourth is the straight man, Deke being the glue that holds them together and keeps the party focused and moving forward.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.