[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to be running a game in the early 70's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: jeep.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
jeep.webm
1MB, 720x404px
So I'm going to be running a game in the early 70's soon. One problem. Never done drugs, and the players will most certainly have access to drugs at some point.

Big ones that I know they would have access to

>Weed
>LSD

I would imagine weed just chills you out a bit and might make you a bit hungrier. Odds are they would be trying this stuff for the first time so I might make them test to not act like a jackass on it but other than that it would be pretty tame.

LSD on the other hand, I have no idea what that actually does to people. I've heard everything from just slightly exaggerates your senses and what you perceive to full on hallucinations and bad trips.

I have some ideas of how I can make these work in my favor for potential plot points but I want to make sure I'm not just completely wrong on how this stuff works before I set my plans in place. Also if anyone knows of other good things I can tempt the players with I'm all ears. I already know how booze works so I'm set there, but other than that I've never really fooled with any of that stuff.

they would be GI's in Vietnam by the way
>>
>>52798307

I took ever so slightly decayed LSD once. Mild hallucinations (largely light trails, etc), but I was more palpably aware of the world around me than I had been in years. My judgement wasn't particularly impaired, though; the things that were not real were obviously not real, and the overwhelming reality of the things that were far outweighed them. It was an interesting experience, and I'd enjoy taking fresher, more potent LSD some time.
>>
>>52798307

It would depend on the person. You should make whatever the equivalent of a constitution saving throw in your game and determine the level of severity there, where the worst possible roll ends up being a nightmarish trip and the best roll would be a rather pleasant, if rather trippy experience.

Speaking of systems, what are you using to run that game?
>>
>>52798307

I mean, different strains of weed do different things. Some do chill you out and give you that traditional "stoner archetype". Others make you feel like you wanna just get up and go for a jog or clean your house. You could have them roll a die or flip a coin to see what kind of strain they've bought and then tell them to roleplay their character in that fashion for the next in-game hour or so. If you feel like making it complicated, you could do some kind of CON test equivalent based on how often a character smokes/vapes/eats stuff with THC in it to come up with some kind of tolerance factor.

Another drug they'd have had easy access to in the 70s would've been coke, even though that has a rep as being more of an 80's drug. They'd also be able to get their hands on Quaalude, which was pretty much -the- "dancing at the club" drug before ecstacy came along.
>>
File: volfoss-lunaponny.png (86KB, 319x478px) Image search: [Google]
volfoss-lunaponny.png
86KB, 319x478px
>>52798307
Stay awake for 40 hours and you'll get high. Can't tell if it is in any way similar to drugs.

To have legal halucinations, get into a sensorial deprivation tank.

>When he opened it, he found 40 pounds of ultra-concentrated government-manufactured LSD. Enough for several hundred million people to trip balls. At the end of the week, before they could make use of the substance, Ketchum says the barrel vanished without a trace.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-us-armys-weed-weapon-a-paranoid-but-true-conspiracy/
>>
>>52798307
Injection drugs. Heroin was a big thing for american soldiers in vietnam. 10% reported addiction rate. Also lots of ketamine use because it had just been cleared for anaesthetic use on humans and was available. Not as popular, it doesn't really make you feel good, just makes you not feel at all and has fairly heavy hallucinogenic properties when you inject it. Which explains a lot of nam ear ptds stuff.

>barely finish high school
>get drafted
>get shot
>have mind blowing dissociative hallucinogenic trip
Probably fucked a lot of people up.
>>
>>52798943
>nam era
>>
Weed's effect depends on the strain - sativa and indica are really two different plants. One is known for body highs, those chill you out and you get lazy. The other gives head highs, there's more of a psychoactive effect. Most strains are somewhere in between.

What LSD does to you depends on the dose. Colours are going to appear more vibrant, lights brighter. Further into your trip, objects might start "melting" or moving around. Full-blown hallucinations can manifest. Two examples - a blue wire-frame samurai, about the size of a housecast; an irridescent maidenhead, the size of the room, cresting through the wall and into the room.

To help you build these into your story, take a look on Erowid for info on things like how long an LSD come-up takes, and lasts. They have a ton of good trip reports you can use
>>
OP, here's a link to the site you need for the research you're doing:

https://erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_LSD.shtml

If you're curious about the effects of other drugs, I'm certain you can figure out how to navigate the site. It's a big repository with many first-hand trip accounts, it should give you more than enough source material.
>>
File: Good good.gif (1MB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
Good good.gif
1MB, 500x350px
>>52799213
>>52799005
Thanks guys this will be a great help. I'll do some reading and get a good idea of what I'll have "available" and what it's effects will be. Might make up a kind of simple table for severity of the trip for lack of a better word, but I'm going to play it a bit loose and try to let them have a little fun with it.

at least until they realize not everything they're seeing is a hallucination
>>
>>52799005
This is all true except for the visual manifestations.

No one I've ever talked to who has done LSD have ever experienced a physical manifestation from their visuals. It's mostly waves of energy that exude from objects and people and solid objects' exteriors begin to liquify and move in wave-like patterns.

Having conversations with beings that aren't in our perceptual reality happens a lot, too
>>
>>52799731
Example: I talked to what I thought was God in one of my heaviest doses. That same night, I had a conversation with my close friends about how the human race has fallen off course and how we have lost our touch with the celestial energy of the cosmos. But none of them recollect talking to me at all that night.

That night, I also experienced watching the shag on carpet grow to the size of octopus arms and oscillate throughout the room. Like I said, nothing physically manifests itself that isn't already there. But real things can change shape, color, and even smells.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.