[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Descending Armor Class is kind of counter-intuitive, and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: moldvay-basic1.jpg (75KB, 446x585px) Image search: [Google]
moldvay-basic1.jpg
75KB, 446x585px
Descending Armor Class is kind of counter-intuitive, and I'm about 50/50 on race-as-class, but besides that (and potential quibbles over how alignment should actually correspond to behavior), there is literally no substantial flaw with the B/X and BECMI versions of D&D.
>>
File: op_is_lonely.png (79KB, 567x212px) Image search: [Google]
op_is_lonely.png
79KB, 567x212px
>>52788439
>there is literally no substantial flaw with the B/X and BECMI versions of D&D.
It was impossible to reference the BECMI books. They put all the rules in weird places to make them "easy to learn."
Also, "stretching" thief skills to level 36 by keeping the end-point and slowing progression crimped the already underwhelming class.
Not really a fan of the Immortals Set either, but to each their own.

>>52788754
>bump
Auto-sage, actually.

You can't bump your own thread until someone else has posted.
>>
>>52789840
Thanks for letting me know about the bump thing. I appreciate it.

Anyway, yeah, you're right about referencing things being difficult. I was thinking of how the game plays, but formatting is extremely important.

>thief skills
You got me there.

I was mostly speaking about the game's viability as a game, though. I see so much "D&D IS SHIT PLAY SOMETHING ELSE" and it's all based on distaste for 3.PF and later.
>>
And Descending Armor Class is as non-intuitive as a descending leader board
>>
>>52790135
>And Descending Armor Class is as non-intuitive as a descending leader board
You'd think so, but I know plenty of people who have had trouble with it.
>>
>>52789840
>They put all the rules in weird places
I will second this. I have tried to run B/X before because it's what my Dad played back in the day, and its so aggravating trying to find anything.
>>
The main flaw with it is WHY CAN'T I FIND A COPY OF RULES CYCLOPEDIA FOR LESS THAN EIGHTY DOLLARS GOD DAMN IT I WANT IT I WANT IT MOTHERFUCKER! AAAAAHHHHHH!
>>
>>52789840
>>52790168
In case you're interested, here's "Holmes77," which is literally a reorganization/clarification of B/X:

http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/7/4/23742956/holmes_77.pdf
>>
>>52790235
damn Anon, that's legit. Thanks for that.
>>
>>52790161
Only because the books describe it poorly. AC is not the target. THAC0 is the target. You add AC to the attacker's roll.

>d20 + target AC + bonuses
>If total is greater than or equal to THAC0 you hit
>Otherwise you miss
This is simple stuff.
>>
>>52788439
Descending armour class is a little strange, but I always tell my players that it act's a a bonus for your opponent to hurt you.

It seemed to have worked
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.