[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys describe spells like spikes, cones, beams, blades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Dondon Hunters.jpg (158KB, 1200x710px) Image search: [Google]
Dondon Hunters.jpg
158KB, 1200x710px
How do you guys describe spells like spikes, cones, beams, blades etc etc of ice fire and lightning affecting enemies but not killing them? All I can think of is glancing hits but glancing hits of these kinds of things sound like they'd largely still fuck a guy over.

Not speaking on a specific setting or tabletop I just mean in general how do you do it?
>>
Fire is easy, it leaves a burn. Ice you could have it freeze a chunk of flesh or impale the target like an arrow or spear would. Lightning could burn and/or partially paralyse.

Just think of the effect getting hit by electricity/extreme cold/extreme heat and scale it appropriately to how much damage they've taken from the hit.
>>
>>52778157

Generally speaking I'll describe characters as having done something to negate the damage.

I mean, that's what a reflex save is, right? It's them trying to dodge or hold something up to mitigate the damage. Even if it's just an attack on their AC, AC still takes into account the fact that they're trying to not get hit. *Everybody* is dodging shit in a fight. A failure just means you didn't make it to adequate cover (maybe some of you is hanging out and got singed), or the piece of wood you shielded yourself with wasn't thick enough to entirely absorb it, or whatever.

Occasionally, if the bad guy is a badass, I'll just describe him as tanking it. Because that's tight as fuck.
>>
File: 1491856065224.jpg (28KB, 309x309px) Image search: [Google]
1491856065224.jpg
28KB, 309x309px
>>52778617
>He doesn't play a fighter who religiously disbelieves in dodging
>>
For lightning, just spasm+sizzle. Fire could heat armor enough to hurt. For ice, if it's icicles just have it poke them in nonfatal areas (maybe an inch into the thighs/gut) or if cone of air, some skin and cause heat change so it bleeds.
>>
Ray of Cold / Cone of Cold is just a fist made of ice that punches you
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>52779639
>>
>>52780911
Never
>>
>>52778157
Oh boy its a thinly disguised attempt at restarting the HP meat points debate. Hoo-rah.
>>
File: try again, little man.gif (3MB, 800x362px) Image search: [Google]
try again, little man.gif
3MB, 800x362px
>>52779639

>GM: "The mercenary attacks you, what's your AC?"
>Player: "It's X, but just use my flat-footed AC of Y."
>GM: "Why?
>Player: "Dodging's for pussies."
>>
Lightning can damage with almost no visible mark. Which player is going to check if the giant has a burnmark in his soles?

In general the enemy can act in many ways if damaged or in pain. It can get an addrenaline burst and be more active, it can fight try to run. It can panic, slow down, bleed all around, lose parts and so on.

Combat can have other results besides killing one side so just do some appropriate reaction checks.
>>
>your enemy reels in pain
>their skin reddens and blisters
>their lips and fingers turn blue for a moment and they grimace
>the ice spike shatters on impact, leaving only a few tiny slivers in their flesh
>their hair sizzles and stands on end
>a frost forms on them that they shake off with a grunt
>they jerk slightly as their muscles seize
>the blade cuts/burns a line here it grazes them
>>
>>52778157
>How do you guys describe spells

I generally don't, until the last hit point disappears. Generally it's just "Ok he saves, how much damage does your fireball deal on a save? Ok 13, got it, that was his last, he falls over."

Then as the last HP is taken from the last man standing, some bad stuff might happen more descriptively.
>>
>>52782384
What
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.