[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurate do you go when incorporating real creatures, cultures,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1245_smilodon_mehdi_nikbakhsh.jpg (287KB, 1130x707px) Image search: [Google]
1245_smilodon_mehdi_nikbakhsh.jpg
287KB, 1130x707px
How accurate do you go when incorporating real creatures, cultures, technology ect?
>>
>>52754228
Not at all. I steal whatever looks cool and file off the numbers.
>>
>>52754228
Depends on the game, and depends on the players.

Most fantasy and scifi can do pretty much anything. Even 'realistic' fantasy can have brand new creatures and cultures or even complete mixtures. All that really matters is that everything is internally consistent and follows it's own set of logic and rules.

Most players don't care too much about depth, so don't spend 3 hours researching some animal or some culture just to make sure you get every detail right. It probably won't come up. All you really need are the important bits. What does it look like, how does it act, any unusual mannerisms, unusual sayings, any superstitions this culture has, or people say about this particular animal. Bam. Suddenly you have a realistic world that's internally consistent.
>>
>>52754228
I usually do some research, write down the good idea, and make sure there's still some sort of connection.

Amphisbaena is still reptilian, winged, and most important of all, it's still got a head on its tail. But other than that it might be a dragon or a hydra or a sea serpent (with those little fish wings).
>>
Lately if we play anything it's 40k, either TT or RPG. So, as long as it's somewhat consistent, who cares?
>>
Natural selection is the core to all human behavior, so it's hard to take something seriously if the ecology and evolution in the setting doesn't make sense. If there's meant to be any psychology or philosophy in the story, then it better obey natural selection.
>>
Well, the newest member of the group has interrupted sessions with complaints along the vein of "that's not how spring pole lathes work" and discussion of the history of lathes that lasted ten to fifteen minutes.

So I do a pretty big amount of research these days.
>>
>>52754228
I just eyeball it.
>>
Since this is the only thread that even mentions technology...

What's the most badass thing my BBEG can use for a prosthetic arm? Complication: setting has medieval technology and no magic. His being alive is already a big stretch.
>>
I tend towards the clint eastwood justification.

It's not about being accurate. It's about feeling authentic.

As long as it captures the essence of it and makes sense in context, there's no reason to sweat the little details.
>>
File: Rasfv[1].jpg (48KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rasfv[1].jpg
48KB, 600x300px
>>52761254
Too edgy/Fantasy/painful for the character?

Then just go for a grappled leather interchangeable "arm/hand" thing, where the BBEG can grapple a hook, a blade, or some other tool at his whim.

Maybe transform his arm into a crossbow.
>>
>>52754263

This. If I'm stuck, I'll compile a bunch of ideas, use some kind of random number generator to pick a few, and see what gets spat out.

Or see what's on /tg/, sometimes there's a good idea or two on there worth nicking.
>>
>>52761254
A double headed worm parasite that's trying to take over his brain, but he mind controls or otherwise manipulates, using the head not sucking on his shoulder as a hand.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.