[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever played a Persona game? Which rules did you use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: unnamed.gif (231KB, 335x439px)
unnamed.gif
231KB, 335x439px
Has anyone ever played a Persona game? Which rules did you use? How did it work out?

I've been thinking of running a Persona game for my more adventurous side group, and was thinking of just using a slightly modified FATE system to run it.
>>
File: 1491180094629.jpg (210KB, 680x951px) Image search: [Google]
1491180094629.jpg
210KB, 680x951px
Contemplating a Devil Summoner game personally.
>>
>>52745044
I've been part of a Persona Campaign that's been going for almost 4 years now but only as a player (I do GM other campaigns though).

To be honest I don't have much experience with the FATE system so I don't know how well it would work but the system my GM used was a heavily modified 3.5/Pathfinder system (because that was really the only system he knew well at the time). It was a Frankenstein's Monster of a system really and I recommend probably not taking that route.

My biggest word or advice/caution if you do plan on going through with it is to really consider how much you want it to actually feel like a actual Persona game vs. feeling heavily inspired by one. My GM went more for the former and, while fun, it has glaring issues, particularly in session time management.

That said, despite its problems, there's a reason everyone's stayed on board this long. It really is one of the most memorable and enjoyable campaigns I've been a part of.
>>
>>52747082
I'm definitely thinking of something more in the vein of, inspired by, and loosely based around Persona as opposed to capturing the mechanics as accurately as possible.
>>
>>52745044
Consider Marvel Heroic over Fate, similar system in terms of scope and simplicity and does a better job of covering variable power level within one character. It uses "power sets" so you could separate a character's capacity and a Persona's capacity on the same sheet, and it has a system which can be easily adapted to cover time if that's going to be a regular thing.

I'd really like to see a universal SMT system, it might be a bit rough because well, different games are different, but I feel like I'd rather have something like that than a Persona set up.
>>
I ran one that lasted for two sessions. We used modified FATE. However, one thing i did:
>make a list of NPCs, one for each arcana
>players pick their arcana, bump NPC off of the list
>each player draws 3 arcana, tells me without knowing who they are what their relationship is to them as an aspect
>one player draws another player, picks that he hates them and goes out of their way to contradict them
>all three players pull Judgement
Shame I never got a chance to make Judgement the big bad.
>>
File: SMT & Persona RPG.pdf (638KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
SMT & Persona RPG.pdf
638KB, 1x1px
>>52745044
I ran into a guy who designed an amazing homebrew SMT system that I then adapted into use for Persona games. It was designed with play-by-post or FATE in mind, and it's far from finished, but you're free to have a look at it. Note that I did the adaption work before Persona 5 dropped, so the Persona-user types and available spells/skills won't encompass anything beyond Persona Q, I think.

If you decide to make changes and stuff, share it back to /tg/, 'cause I'd love to get some more feedback.
>>
File: like a fucking coma.jpg (49KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
like a fucking coma.jpg
49KB, 616x699px
>>52747179
> I'm definitely thinking of something more in the vein of, inspired by, and loosely based around Persona

Here, I'm gonna describe an average Persona game to you:
>muh quirky stereotypic highschooler squad full of barely functional people with huge amount of mental issues
>black and white morality (so, no Law vs. Chaos vs. Neutral conflict, only big bad Shadows and evil masterminds)
>the global threat must be as abstract as possible (so no shit like the first Devil Survivor or Strange Journey, where you are struggling for your lives against very real and definite threats)
>spending time on homework and schoolyard relationships is just as important as spending it on, yknow, ACTUALLY SAVING THE WORLD AND/OR DEFEATING THE THREAT, because...
>it's not like, we are on a timer, amirite? :^) We have a lot of free time, and surely, we'll have time to legalize gay marriage before the evil lich strikes, amirite?
>did I mention that there's no difference between Law and Chaos yet, and that you are special because only you can save the world/defeat the threat?
>>
File: 1391795028847.jpg (454KB, 1257x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1391795028847.jpg
454KB, 1257x1000px
>>52745044
My group ran dozens of persona campaigns with some bastardized d20 rules that the gm pieced together on the fly.

And let me tell you we had some fucking amazing games like that. What you really need is someone who can write compelling characters to fill out a small group of npcs.
>>
>>52747337
"inspired by" does not equate to "follows every single thing the games do, even the parts that don't necessarily translate well to the tabletop format"
>>
>>52747681
> even the parts that don't necessarily translate well to the tabletop format
Which ones of the above doesn't translate into the tabletop format, though? All the things I've mentioned are narrative-specific, not game-specific.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.