[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to simply reprint the less parasitic cards from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 22

File: index.jpg (994KB, 1935x1076px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
994KB, 1935x1076px
Is it possible to simply reprint the less parasitic cards from kamigawa without the parasitic elements?
>>
>>52726322
This picture triggers me since it lists Silent-Blade Oni as being from Betrayers, when in fact it was from Planechase 2012 exclusively.
>>
>>52726391
So was sakashima's student. Didn't feel like downloading two different set symbols.
>>
I thought the "parasitic" mechanics of Kamigawa were Arcane, Splice Onto Arcane, and the almost arbitrary Arcane-Spirit interactions?
Ninjutsu isn't parasitic, you can have your Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni ninjutsu in on a Tormented Soul. You cannot Splice Onto Arcane anything onto a Lightning Bolt.
>>
>>52727465
Yeah, that's my point. Most of kamigawa is perfectly servicable. The main downsides being the card that were too broken or cost too much mana.
>>
>>52727465
The bigger problem with Ninjutsu and Bushido is you can't casually reprint them except on planes that specifically have Ninjas and Samurai, which is rare because those are arbitrarily different from Rogues/Assassins and Knights.
>>
File: 1484102338611.png (50KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1484102338611.png
50KB, 321x322px
>>52726322
I wanna FUCK those RATS
by reprint do you mean in return to kamigawa standard scenario or just a general reprint series like within modern masters?
>>
>>52726322
Not sure what you're asking. Is it possible? Yeah totally. They print "fixed" versions of cards all the time.

If we really want to be pedantic, I'm sure WotC has the capablity of reprinting all of Kamigawa if they wanted to.
>>
>>52727784

Well, you do have Blue in the mix, so I suppose you could drop a creature-type changing effect onto the field for it. Like Hivestone and a blue card that changes instances of creature type text so that everything on your end of the field is a Rogue. Or Changeling effects.

Not really much advantage to that, except suddenly all your Ninja can trigger Prowl effects and Rogue tribal like Cloak and Dagger.
>>
>>52727828
It doesn't /have/ to be kamigawa but I want it to be standard legal at the time.
>>
This would require WotC to be reasonable with creature types and mechanics, which it never will be.

These are the same guys who said they want to simplify creature types and then produce more Naga and make Aetherborn separate from elementals for "reasons."
>>
>>52726322
Hmn. Wonder if you could do a Rogue toolbox deck with things like invisible stalker?
>>
File: GR.png (147KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
GR.png
147KB, 500x710px
>>52726322
Ninjutsu as a keyword is fine, just making the ninjas creature class Rogue is enough. Splice onto Arcane can be made into Splice onto Sorcery, safely if you adjust the costs upwards. Remove Arcane. Soulshift can be made Lifeshift, and safely by default probably at that, given how bad the cards were. Sweep could be better with some simple synergy mechanics, like "X: If you returned a land you control to your hand this turn, you may play an additional land.".

Evoke is Channel done right. Transform is Flip cards done right. Bushido is fine, Offering is fine.

Then you just make the flavor more pop culture-y and the powerlevel more reasonable and BAM!

Kamigawa that's adored the MtG fanbase.
>>
>>52729265

Ninjustu and Bushido could have been Ambush and Honor or something. More easily able to be included in other sets with different flavor.
>>
Looking at the ninja cards, I kinda want a ninja themed edh deck.
>>
>muh parasites
>muh nagas
>muh aetherborn

What is with the influx of autism about keywords and shit? I bet you faggots were buttblasted that Gremlins weren't just classified as Goblins because HURPDURP MUH TRIBAL
>>
Remember this is the company that says that Suspend is confusing to new players, Kamigawas mechanics are also confusing, that Storm will never return and then goes and makes a fucking Duel deck with Storm cards , suspend , and a bunch of kamigawa spirits in it.
>>
I hope they never return to Kamigawa. The set is perfect and is filled with weird and interesting mechanics you just dont see nowadays.
Kamigawa, OG Ravnica, Time Spiral, and Zendikar are the best blocks of all time with Innistrad getting an honorable mention.
>>
>>52729265

"Modern Masters 2017(or 2018?): The Reprintening" when MtG?

Otherwise you'd have to go back to Kamigawa to run this shit, but a lot of it looks pretty fine. And as >>52729303 says, it becomes a much more neutral keyword and suddenly other bandit-type creatures can get Ambush and Knights and/or Soldiers can get Honor.
>>
>>52729763
Add Lorwyn and I'll agree with you.
I really want them to do a sequel/revisit of Kamigawa though, just not until they fire the current writing team and actually hire people who give a shit about good lore/flavor.

>>52729303
>Ambush and Honor
10/10 contact Wizards
>>
>>52726322
Every "mistake" in Magic can be easily rectified. they have the power to print literally anything they want. R&D just doesn't want to.
>>
>>52726322
What if they brought Kamigawa back, but it was a new powerhouse, on the level of phyrexia/innistrad powerhouse.
>>
>>52729763

After seeing the utter train-wrecks that were Return to Ravnica, Zendikar 2: Electroboogalo, and Revenge of the Innistrad I'm inclined to agree. That's why I'm really worried when I hear people talking about Wizards returning to Dominaria.
>>
Ninjitsu and Bushido will probably get the same treatment Fear did.
Made into a new keyword, almost identical. They wouldn't replace it on cards that already have it
>>
>>52729303
RTR's "Bloodrush" used to be called ambush, but was replaced for some stupid reason.
I'm thinking higher ups had a problem with the word itself.
>>
>>52734439
>Wizards returning to Dominaria.
>returning to Dominaria.
>Dominaria.
NEIN NEIN NEIN NIEN NIEN!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>52732041
Still wouldn't care, personally. MaRo's gone on record saying if they ever did go back, it'd essentially be to ruin the plane because it was unpopular and Wizards is that spiteful. And if them returning to a fan-favorite got us Return to Ravnica and Battle for Zendikar, I shudder to think about what they'll do to a plane they actually want to fuck up.
>>
>>52734727

Maybe Wizards is so incompetent that if they tried to fuck up a plane it would actually turn out really good?
>>
>>52734727
I thought people liked RTR. Or was it just excitement to see shocklands reprinted?
>>
>>52734778
We can only hope.

>>52734781
A lot of people did, and I daresay that at this point it was the majority of players' first experience with Ravnica, but I wasn't fond of it myself.
>>
>>52726391
Not contributing but I really like my ninja deck that was built from that precon. Especially when everyone is new and doesn't know how ninjas work.
>>
>>52734781
I personally believe it was just the shocklands
>>52734727
>And thus, this anon put's up his hat and never deals with Wizards ever again.

Seriously, they go back to Kamigawa or bring back Phyrexians, I'm fucking done. I don't need to see things I like being buttfucked by Wizards, and I'm done being a masochist for them.
>>
>>52734604
my bet is WotC will get rid of Dominaria offscreen and say shit happened and blowed up, next step is making Ravnica the new center of the multiverse because fuck it, we like Ravnica
>>
>>52734858
It practically is already, we've not seen Dominaria in what... twelve years? And Ravnica was home to an Infinite Consortium cell (not that I'm sure they even remember they wrote those guys).
>>
>>52734858
>we like Ravnica
I liked old Ravnica, not this new bullshit they have. This is why I usually stay with the old sets (every once and awhile, they release some good cards or they get the right taste. Sadly, those cards are getting less and less).
>>
>>52734858
>>52734874
>>52734907

Speaking of Ravnica, how is it not in full blown civilwar since the Guildpact is off playing hero on a hundred other planes.

Dumbass has a day job, an important one at that.
>>
>>52726322
yes, they already reprinted some in the modern masters bullshit.

the problem is that 99% of kamigawa cards are named "Oni-katuch kami of kamuchi tea" and it's a legendary rat samurai ninja.
they would be out of flavor pretty much anywhere but another japanese theme plane or reprint sets like modern master, but even in those Wotc might want some kind of coherence.

the reason sensei divining top (and possibly umezawa's jitte too) were not kaladesh inventions lies 100% in their name.
>>
>>52734956
They've teased at it, but as is common with the Wizards of current year, it hasn't amounted to shit thus far. I wager we'll go back in two or three blocks since they'll want to save it 'til player enthusiasm hits an all-time low, at which point we'll probably get an interguild war, or God forbid another fucking revolution spurred on by the Gatewatch.
>>
File: My Face.jpg (397KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
My Face.jpg
397KB, 800x800px
>>52734956
Ravinca civilwar when?
>tfw the nephilims come back with a vengeance
>>
>>52735017
>The few missing original guild leaders come back and are like "What the Fuck are you doing!?"
>Niv is like: Uh. Fuck... Thought I got rid of you guys
>Rakdos fully wakes up and is in control of himself.
>>
>>52735002
>another fucking revolution spurred on by the Gatewatch.

I'd be fine if they stayed and helped stabalize the plane they overthrew, but as it is now, it's just them going from plane to plane, overthrowing the government or combating some apocalypse, then they leave the plane in shambles and go to another one to throw it into total chaos.
>>
>>52727465
I can never figure out why Arcane became the poster child for parasitic, when technically, ANY plane wth powerful magics can easily support Arcane and Splice onto Arcane. Fuck, Arcane should be able to come back in Amonkhet, since Bolas is known for his potent and ancient magic, this is the dictionary definition of arcane. It's not a difficult mechanic to create support for, and there should be at least SOME design space (costless Arcane spells, When you Splice this spell triggers. If you can make Curses exist across planes I see no reason why Arcanes can't.
>>
>>52735129
It's because Kamigawa did poorly and corporate fuckwits like the ones at Wizards have a tendency to overcorrect when trying to improve their image:
>Kamigawa was bad?
>Clearly we didn't mishandle Splice onto Arcane by playing it too safe, it's just a bad mechanic!
>>
why do old mechanics matter anyway for revisits? it's not like any of the blocks where we went to old plane reused the mechanics
>>
>>52735186
Wizards is a corporate entity that seems keen on responding wrongly to customer feedback. Already I can see them saying of the Aftermath mechanic, "oh, it's not popular because players don't seem to like the layout so we're not bringing it back" as opposed to "players don't like them because we played it too safe with the power level and upshifted their rarities too much, so next time we'll try and give more powerful effects at lower rarity levels."

And they'll respond to Amonkhet's general unpopularity by declaring their player base a bunch of racist alt-right man children and proceed to insist on making more DINDU and WEWUZ planes just like Marvel.
>>
>>52735129
splice into arcane is a glorified tribal, but it's even more narrowly designed than tribal creatures because all creatures have a creature type and they usually don't get designed to be worse just because they have a well supported one ( ex:zombie), while arcane were mostly overcosted for what they did.

perhaps it could have worked if both Ravnica and mirrodin had support for Arcanes, but developing tribals for creatures across multiple standard sets does not seem problematic, while arcanes were definitely out of flavor for both Mirrodin and Ravnica and that was left them no chance to not be parasitic.
>>
What are the chances that the "corporate" that existed post-Kamigawa is even still working for Wizards/Hasbro anymore.

We know the people working on the game are still there. But there is a good chance whatever overlord overseeing the game has been replaced by a bigger yet different moronic overlord.

>>52735299
They have a fiduciary responsibility to not shit-talk their own product even if some people within the company know it's crap. To sabotage sales of your product can and will get you fired.

Which is fine. But what they CAN do is say that whoever was giving them feedback were obviously not the right people to listen to. Throw those people under the bus, there's no legal repercussions to that. Point out the retards who provided said feedback and that's a good enough mea culpa.

Except they won't, they won't admit that the people who take their surveys and fill out their feedback forms are complete fucking retards. They won't admit that they were too goddamn lazy to send out people to actually visit stores and meet actual players just like every other lazy company out there. They'll rely on marketing firms or even the shills they've bought for feedback like Loading Ready Run or LSV or Marshall.

In the end, it's our fault. For a bunch of whiny babies we (or our peers) won't actually punish the company by not buying their shit when they give us repeated years of shit product. Every fucking year the Masters product sells out at my store as well as Commander and while that may be in part to smart purchasing from my store there is no fucking way a smart customer base would buy that trash.

They've reused so many basic creature mechanics in the past years I just see them as vanilla creatures. I'm tired of seeing Wind Drake, creatures that are just keyword dumps, their fruitless search for a black combat trick +X/+0 +lifelink/deathtouch/indestructible.

They just evergreened Prowess and we just saw a reprint of a 1/3 with Prowess in red. Fucking why?
>>
I know this is a tired thing to say, but I blame Reddit.

It's just a safe, censored, and moderated place and it provides a gathering place for a variety of opinions from the community. That is not inherently a bad thing.

The bad thing is that it's cheap i.e. free-to-use, which means that the company can just pay someone to monitor Reddit to instead of setting up an effective feedback system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody from Wizards attends GPs. And I don't mean useless people like coverage teams I mean they don't send the development teams out into the wild and talk to people. That might only happen for PTs (as they are Wizards events) and there are only 4 of those a year. There's also the Player's Champ or World Cup at PAX and PAX itself, but I've never ever seen any Wizards staff at PAX doing any fucking work. And if they did asking the goddamn pros are like asking an alcoholic why they love booze.
>>
>>52735538
>In the end, it's our fault. For a bunch of whiny babies we (or our peers) won't actually punish the company by not buying their shit when they give us repeated years of shit product. Every fucking year the Masters product sells out at my store as well as Commander and while that may be in part to smart purchasing from my store there is no fucking way a smart customer base would buy that trash.
The problem is that Wizards essentially has a monopoly on "serious" card games, at least here in the states. If you want to play Yugioh you're met with Konami jewery and underage weeb memesters. If you want to play Pokemon, odds are you'll have to deal beating up kids at your local scene. Force of Will takes all the negative aspects of yugioh and MtG and rolls it into one. Vanguard is fucking dead where I live. There's nothing else to play.

That being said, I haven't voluntarily bought a sealed product in years. I know that I still directly support the game by buying singles, but at least I don't directly support Wizards.
>>
>>52734590
Too confusing to new players.
In our focus groups people thought it meant "I am a bush"
>>
>>52735129
Because subtypes on noncreature spells have to be there for a reason. If all spells had subtypes, then Arcane could show up in multiple sets and not be parasitic. But their policy is that they need a mechanical reason to attach subtypes like that, so we won't get more arcane until there's a set with a mechanic that interacts with it.

Honestly, I think it'd be rather cool if all instants and sorceries DID have subtypes. Primal spells, divine spells (in both black and white), arcane spells, maybe even stuff like fire spells and the like. If they were everywhere, then you could have fun spell tribal stuff where casting divine spells makes your holy warriors stronger and whatnot. But it's too late in the game's lifetime for such a huge change, since nearly 25 years of cards would be out of the loop.
>>
>>52735997
This makes it the perfect rename for the ninjitsu ability. All ninja can now disguise themselves as bushes.
>>
>>52735126
Americans write what they know
>>
File: laughing spookies.webm (456KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
laughing spookies.webm
456KB, 1280x720px
>>52735997
>>
>>52735968
The Japanese don't exactly make a serious card game themselves. And thanks to Magic many Living Card Games like Dominion gets broken in half the moment any number of people realize card advantage is king. Race for the Galaxy is pretty good though. I feel that Magic has world dominance by the merits of its superiority.

It's just fucking sad that Magic is just another one of those things in life where you know it could be better but it isn't. It could certainly be worse true, but we know what worse is like with Pokemon or YGO. And every fucking time they do something that is very obviously worse I just get overwhelmed with the sensation that whoever is in charge has no fucking clue what "good" or "bad" is.

For a while there, I was actually happy that Jace, Liliana, and Chandra were the new faces of Magic. I felt like they had the potential to be Serra Angel or Akroma except they would have the capacity for more personality. Except they're not. And looking back Serra Angel and Akroma actually have more personality than the three of them combined.

I haven't bought Sealed product in years myself. Buy singles though although nothing that actually justifies opening a pack. The pile of commons and uncommons I buy from the store are pretty much garbage that the store can't actually sell. The funny thing is that I look at Amonkhet and the only thing worth talking about are the commons - the cyclers for Living End. Everything looks like fucking poison for EDH, Cube, or any constructed format. I look at Enigma Drake and think, "Is that what you think is worth your fucking time Wizards? Perfecting the Spellheart Chimera or Wee Dragonauts Izzet flier?" Goddamn.

>>52735997
I would have called it "Gangbang". Every time I used the ability that's what I wanted to say. I think it would have been funny if I hadn't known it would trigger actual people in the store.

>inb4 cis white male perpetuating rape culture
>>
>>52735538
>But what they CAN do is say that whoever was giving them feedback were obviously not the right people to listen to.

Focus Groups 101:
Nothing the focus group says or thinks actually matters. The powers that be will selectively ignore, misinterpret, or outright molest the data until it says what they want it to.
>>
>>52735126
I think the thing is, nobody at Wizards realizes that what they're writing is an analog for shit American foreign policy. If they were smart they would bring it about and show the Planeswalkers were responsible for fucking up a variety of stable (albeit cruel or primitive) societies.

Could you imagine if that was the plan all along? That it was some monumental fuck-up of super heroes ruining shit they don't comprehend?

But of course they won't do that. They're just fucking heroes every time. Someone would get fired for writing Gatewatch as incompetent throwing who knows how many hours of character art design and writing into the shitter.
>>
>>52734781
RtR was a bastardization of Ravnica to the tune of a saturday morning cartoon plot. The cards themselves were fine, which is what most players look for and like, just those who like the flavor were upset.

I'm still upset because it's probably the version of Ravnica we'll get in the future.
>>
>>52736234
UR is the worst color combination. Red and Blue have always gone together; I've played many UR decks.

But UR cards are shit. Just the fucking worst multicolored cards of all the color combinations.

>>52736388
Yup. It looked like Ravnica but it didn't feel like Ravnica. Instead of magical communist equilibrium like the original, they had "it's just like any other shithole; literally cannot keep the sewers operational". Surprise Merfolk!

It's funny that they successfully emulated original Ravnica draft, which in my opinion was terrible. RtR block draft was play trash 5-color decks with excellent fixing until you smashed each other with what amounts of vanilla creatures. Granted RtR's creatures were chunkier but it didn't change the fact that everyone was playing 5-color abomination.

Don't get me wrong, 5-color abomination is fun, but not when that's the only thing you can do.
>>
>>52736513
>Just the fucking worst multicolored cards of all the color combinations.
Not the anon you were talking too, but I concur for the most part. Still have an eventide UR deck that I still play casually though.
>>
>>52736216
Underrated
>>
>>52735997
Considering the tales of playtester stupidity I've heard, I wouldn't doubt it.
"So, since it's a bush, I get a forest, right?"
>>
>>52729692
No, they should've been Atogs.
Then we could've gotten an Atog reprint instead of a functional repring
It's not like they haven't varied what creatures look like on different planes. Just make Kaladeshi atogs cute and there you go, classic Magic creature type that already has artifact fuckery connotations, has (exceedingly narrow) tribal support already, and doesn't change anything at all other than not adding a useless creature type.
>>
>>52729745
They said Storm won't be printed in a standard-legal product (aka have any new cards printed for it that matter) because they're either going to be broken as fuck or disappointing as fuck with no middle ground.
>>
>>52737145

But anon now I can finally build my 8-Atog deck.
>>
>>52737079
>having to add cycling to all cards that have "when you discard on them" because people are retarded
JUST
>>
>>52737422
They're also why we can't have land tokens, IIRC.
>>
File: 1474551977007.png (302KB, 620x411px)
1474551977007.png
302KB, 620x411px
>>52734727
>super pumped for another innistrad block
>spoilers drop and eldrazi 4: the revengining speculation takes off
>I hope for the best but deep down inside know that they're going to just fucking ruin everything
>>
>>52737570
Innistrad is just another example of Wizards ruining another fantasy equilibrium. The thing that is most depressing is that they know they're doing it. They said outright they regretted ending Khans on a Dragon clusterfuck instead of a stable Khans system - the block's sets should have been reversed.

And yet, they're still telling the story of how things are getting fucked up. It's not stories that take place in the world, you're not a Planeswalker just doing the tourist thing. No, you're watching things go to hell.

Kamigawa, ruining the relationship we had with the spirits. Time Spiral - I don't know. Lowryn, let's ruin the goddamn cycle. Alara, let's smash together the shards just to see what it would be like. Zendikar, they're never going to be Indiana Jones the Plane ever again. Scars, we are never fucking getting Mirrodin again. RtR, we fucked it up the last time we were there. Innistrad, monster-Avacyn equilibrium restored, but we fuck it up with Eldrazi forever. Theros - admittedly probably fine. Khans, dragon clusterfuck.

If you think about it, the following places or their environments and their foundation concepts and unique culture that have existed for who knows how many thousands of years are extinct: Eventide, Bant, Jund, Esper, Grixis, Naya, Guul-Draz, Mirrodin, the Khans, everything Avacyn was created to maintain, the Inventor's Fair, the oligarchy of the guilds (thanks unguilded).

Why? Because you can't relate to fairy tale land. Gotta have humans. Gotta have fucking racial diversity; what's cultural diversity. Let's do what's popular: dragons, werewolves, vampires, dragons, steampunk and do NOTHING creative with them.

Did the fucking vehicles do anything actually interesting from a flavor perspective? Because it seemed to me they were just Juggernauts.
>>
>>52738008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iusUq4-f5U
>>
File: 1469399912030.gif (1013KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1469399912030.gif
1013KB, 500x282px
>>52738008
I really really really liked the meme how with Avacyn's release at the end of original Innistrad block she creates the issue of demons running rampant on Innistrad becoming a larger issue again as well as this werewolves that wanted to be wild vs Wolfir wanting to maintain what was left of their humanity thing and then SOI rolls up and says "Uhhhh, nevermind LMAO ELDRAZI"
>>
>>52738499
Dragging the Eldrazi to Innistrad all for revenge was a fine idea. Totally badass.

Everything else including ruining Innistrad beyond all repair, not the best. Could have milked the Plane for another two blocks before unleashing the Eldrazi on it.
>>
>>52738008
The only one you're wrong on is Ravnica, and only on the return.
Guilds are still there, still entirely in charge, the whole thing with the unguilded went literally nowhere and was solely there for Gatecrash to have something going on beyond HEY THE OTHER FIVE GUILDS.
Instead, the entire thing that keeps the gulds from tearing each other apart...has been convinced to go galavanting about across the multiverse wrecking the stability of OTHER planes, thus wrecking the stability of Ravnica in the process. Assuming Wizards realizes what they're actually doing with their own plots and doesn't end up just doing something ELSE when we return again in three years.
>>
>>52738995
the whole revenge plotline was contrived to begin with
>nahiri rolls up to find sorin exhausted but fine
>gets upset and sorin just says "whatever" instead of manipulating nahiri for the benefit of his plane
>>
>>52739129
"Oh, I was making something to protect my plane so I could do JUST THAT if the need ever arose at the drop of a hat. It just COINCIDENTALLY happened at the exact wrong time. Give me a bit and I'll help you check, you said you took care of them after all." and instead of her being pissed off, she thinks he was acting on her behalf and is willing to put it aside and do some stuff for him most likely.
Instead, I'M OLDER THAN YOU I KNOW BETTER GO AWAY UGGGH FINE YOU'RE GETTING A TIME OUT.
>>
>>52737231
>not 8-Tog
>>
>implying WotC will ever print a set half as good as Kamigawa again
I've lost all faith year after year of nothing but trash
>>
>>52739069
>Lavinia huffs and shrugs and says "that's our Guildpact!" and the laugh track plays

The confict in Rav 3 being due to Jace's negligence is a .001% chance.
>>
>>52739392

God dammit

God /DAMMIT/
>>
>>52739373
Honestly it would just make more sense for Sorin to state what he was doing
>I was making defensive preparations for my own plane so it would be fine even without me
>You know so I could be fine to leave and help you in case you ever needed
>It just seems like this happened at a bad time but it worked out because you seemed to have taken care of it
>Let's both go see what's up with Ugin though and then the three of us can double check our safeguards after all your plane's safety is my plane's safety
AKA the line of action that would ensure that the useful planeswalker that Sorin essentially raised and trained wouldn't go apeshit on his home world as well as making sure that the architect of the Eldrazi's prisons would be around to keep them well maintained so that they would never threaten his plane as was the whole point of binding them to Zendikar. It's like the awful fucking story telling you would expect out of a daytime drama where it just forces scenarios where rational people would go "well my friend of a thousand years probably had a good reason for this let me hear him out" instead of "YOU BETRAYED ME"
>>
>>52739129
>>52739373
>>52739467
>>
>>52739557
It's so accurate it hurts
>>
>>52738499
Seeing Ormendahl the card, then reading the story, I still have no idea what the fuck his deal is. He's like the leader of the Skirsdag in card lore getting summoned via human sacrifice at Westvale, and in the short stories all I remember him doing was possessing some dude's wife.
>>
Quick rules question with sneak. If I have an unblocked creature with first strike would it deal first strike damage, sneak in a rogue and then the rogue deal it's damage?
>>
>>52741860
Yes since after first strke/double strike damage calculation there is a round of priority you may trigger ninjutsu then and deal normal damage with your rogue
>>
>>52737145
>instead of adding a useless creature type they should provide support for a long forgotten useless creature type

topkek
>>
>>52726322
>parasitic
Define this term in the context of Magic.
>>
>>52738008
>really dig the Kahns flavor
>suddenly HURPDURP DRAGONS and they drop the interesting wedge factions for a shittier half-a-Ravnica

>fucking ruin the new Innistrad block by forcing even more Eldrazi right after we already got a whole fucking Eldrazi block
>lore is absolutely fucked
>worst of all they go through a SECOND Innistrad block with no Ludevic card and then print that godawful turd in a commander deck

Can't wait to see Nicol Bolas show up and destroy Amonkhet. I wonder what will get to irreparably destroy Atlazan.
>>
>>52743061
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/few-more-words-rd-2016-11-07

Parasitic—This term refers to the quality of caring about things that are unique to the set/block it appears in.
>>
>>52743061
it means "things I don't like"
>>
>>52743246
Splice onto arcane is defined as a parasitic effect because the only cards you can use them with are other arcane cards. So basically parasitic means lacking out-of-block support.
>>
>>52741860
>>52742122
No, you cannot, because you can use Ninjutsu (or in this case, Sneak) when a creature becomes an unblocked creature (aka the opponent decides not to block something) - this is during the Declare Blockers step, before any of the damage steps. Once it moves to the First Strike damage step, it's too late to go 'woops ninjas'
It's very similar to a 'when a creature is blocked' ability except in reverse.
Section 509 in the Comprehensive Rules by the way.
>>
>>52743966
The determination of a creature being unblocked:
>509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.
The status of being unblocked persists until the creature leaves the field or an effect says it is no longer unblocked or the combat phase ends.

All damage from each combat step is assigned simultaneously after which triggered abilities from this damage goes on the stack and then finally:
>510.4. Fourth, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.
>510.5. If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4) as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that had neither first strike nor double strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.
Which means each step of the damage step is repeated for the purposes of creatures without first or double strike including the triggers and round of priority allowing ninjutsu to be used in time for the normal damage step.
>>
>>52743966
>>52744274
It made the first post too long but the details of double strike and first strike interactions/removals is important to note for the sequencing of the separate damage steps as well:
>702.4b If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that had neither first strike nor double strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.

>702.4c Removing double strike from a creature during the first combat damage step will stop it from assigning combat damage in the second combat damage step.

>702.4d Giving double strike to a creature with first strike after it has already dealt combat damage in the first combat damage step will allow the creature to assign combat damage in the second combat damage step.
>>
>>52737079
I played once again someone who had an older card that, instead of "Enchantment" was "Enchant Plains," and she thought that meant it was a plains.

People are dumb.
>>
>>52744463
Genju of the Fields says Enchant Plains right on the fucking type line. I totally do not blame someone for assuming it is a Plain based on that.

Enchant Plains should be in the text box and it is in the errata and Enchantment - Aura in the type line now. But there is zero fucking reason to shit on someone for reading it exactly how they've been taught to think it is.

That's on fucking Wizards.

That person might be dumb but the reason you gave for thinking they're dumb is wrong.
>>
>>52729265
>Splice onto Arcane can be made into Splice onto Sorcery, safely if you adjust the costs upwards. >Remove Arcane
splice would be assbackwards powerful without arcane. you should not be able to use splicing onto just ANY sorcery, unless you wanna create specific splice conditions for each card with it.
>>
File: 249[1].jpg (56KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
249[1].jpg
56KB, 312x445px
>>52745809
No, that's because that's how it used to work.
Just like how Pacifism used to be an Enchant Creature - you Enchant a Creature with it.
The problem here is that it's an older card (that's been errata'd to fit with new wording) and someone familiar only with newer stuff.
If you were to show someone who's been playing for ten years (and somehow has never run across it or looked it up) an ABU Icy Manipulator, and asked them how it worked without looking anything up, they'd assume it just lets them tap shit for 1 mana and have no idea what the 'mono' means.
I'm not sure why you're saying it's 'on fucking Wizards' when they changed these things specifically SO THAT they'd be more understandable at a glance. Once upon a time, (bad at the rules) people claimed you couldn't hit Pacifism or Genju with Naturalize because they weren't enchantments, they were enchant creatures/enchant plains cards. Wizards made things BETTER, but because of that 'that's on fucking Wizards'?
>>
>>52746420
I lost myself there. 'and someone familiar only with newer stuff wouldn't be aware of the various changes the game's gone through over the two and a halfish decades it's existed.'
>>
>>52745809
You are unabashedly retarded. Thank you for perpetuating the meme.
>>
>>52726322
Yes they can repurpose Ninjitsu and Bushido as Ambush and Shelter.
Yes they can Splice into Sorcery, Instant, Creature, Artifact, Planeswalker, etc.
Yes they can make Spirits not shit.
Yes, even Sweep can be made into something people want to play.

Problem is, R&D don't want to. They want to make new cards with new designs and for us to praise them for that. They don't want to fix someone else's work, and they want to admit their previous work was shit and needed fixing even less.
>>
>>52736234
>Not being able to tell your opponent you're about to sodomize them with your 20/20 wurm in joking banter
Glad I'm not from Sociajustistan.
>>
>>52736295
It's what I've been trying to tell this board, /co/ and /v/ for years.
I work at a marketing and advertisement firm, when your company's executives hire us to run testing groups, focus groups, TA polling, anything that has to do with data gathering. They're not paying us for the truth, they pay us to dress up the truth so that it lines up with whatever the execs who hired us want to do.

Modern marketing is 100% about scamming shareholders and has been like so for at least the past 12 years.

Hell it may have been like this for more than a century, it's how pink became the "girls" color in the first place.
>>
>>52736388
>>52736513
Don't worry, anything they do with Ravnica 3 will be 1000% about overthrowing the Obzedat because they're catholicism and the patriarchy rolled together and we'll have a brave nigra who don't need no man saving the place while Jace whimpers and Teysa is conveniently in jail for being white, rich and pretty.
>>
>>52746952
c'mon man... don't jinx it like that... teysa is prime cripple waifu
>>
>>52734590
I'm still upset about this. "Bloodrush" is nonsensical, unflavorful "grrr gruul" sounding name that doesn't mean anything.
Ambush makes it very clear that the creature you're discarding is pouncing into the combat.
>>
>>52739129
>>52739373
>>52739467
If this whole shit doesn't end in someone telling Sorin that Ugin lied about the eldrazi's destructability and that he could have destroyed all three together at the same time all along. Then cutting him lose on the phantom lizard, this whole story may as well not exist to me because there's no other satisfactory resolution.

And by "someone" I mean Nicol Bolas.
>>
File: fish lady zegana.jpg (62KB, 300x246px) Image search: [Google]
fish lady zegana.jpg
62KB, 300x246px
>>52736513
nuSimic is a much more philosophically correct representation of GU than the bastardization that was momir vig's mono blue "simic"
>>
>>52746929
I took one token marketing class for my business minor, but they gave me the impression that the job was all about bridging the gap between what the company can offer and what the customer wants/needs.

So if you're not doing that what's the fucking point? Like, exactly why would the shareholder give a fuck what data you return? The shareholder only cares that the revenue looks like. I fail to see why marketing is any more a tool to the shareholder than operations would be. In fact, I would imagine marketing is a tool for operations or meddles in operations.

I understand underhanded fuckery. I just don't see any value in dressing up the truth unless it was to cover for someone's fuckups as in, "well, it's what marketing said would work, see look, these professionals said it would work out."

I don't see why the pink thing has anything to do with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole pink thing was dictating that what the customer needed/wanted was pink for girls. Are you saying that Wizards was telling its players that this superhero shit story no-removal situation was a result of a marketing company lying to them? Who the fuck in management thought that was what players wanted?
>>
>>52738008
The shards of alara converging was actually really interesting, to me. I love thinking about how these isolated cultures suddenly react to each other and to the presence of foreign mana. Every single creature that was a new color showing up in a shard was fantastic. Or things like Ethercaste Knight. He was a bant knight who accepted etherium.
>>
>>52747043
I'm torn because I'd actually prefer if it turned into a Old Walkers knew better scenario and Ulamog and Kozilek reform on a different plane and Jace and his butt buddies just get btfo by Ugin and Sorin, but at the same time I'd really prefer not to see the Eldrazi ever again
>>
>>52746981
Teysa and Tajic are already in jail because Karlov don't give no shit about the law and Jace is applying American freedom to nigger planes instead of doing his job.
Then again, it wouldn't be the first WotC retcon.
>>
>>52747175
It's an interesting concept true. But it's really no different than an Azorius lawmage finding that a Golgari rot-farmer has moved in next door. The necromancers are not going to get along with the tree-huggers.

It's like a zombie apocalypse. It's really neat to watch society go to shit. But once it mellows down all you get is a generic blasted landscape and ruin because nobody wants to write it such that the inhabitants of Grixis and Jund agree to a non-aggression pact even though each other shard has every reason to stamp them out of existence.
>>
>>52747266
Was it said to turn into all out clusterfuck war? I don't remember it getting ruined like that (yet).
For instance, godtrackers from Naya seemed willing to embrace dragons (godtracker of jund) or scope out cool sea serpents (sages of the anima) instead of just start murdering false gods.
I feel like the shards converging can actually end up fairly functional, with individuals being able to find new places where they always would have belonged better.
>>
>>52747139
>I understand underhanded fuckery. I just don't see any value in dressing up the truth unless it was to cover for someone's fuckups as in, "well, it's what marketing said would work, see look, these professionals said it would work out."
Have you never met a business executive? Their ego can sink a company and they'd still claim they were faultless.
>
I don't see why the pink thing has anything to do with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole pink thing was dictating that what the customer needed/wanted was pink for girls. Are you saying that Wizards was telling its players that this superhero shit story no-removal situation was a result of a marketing company lying to them? Who the fuck in management thought that was what players wanted?
I can think of a certain lispy jew that seems excessively upset that Cocks takes a much more hands-on approach to overseeing the company than the previous CEO.

The higher you are in the corporate scale the least you seem to worry about doing your job well and the more about appearing to be doing your job well so you keep crawling up that ladder. I myself don't know why, but marketing thrives when companies are filled with egomaniac assholes who don't care about the company.
I'm sure Man of Steel would have done magnitudes better in critical acclaim and the box office if Clark didn't just let his father die, if he visibly cared more about protecting innocents during his fight with Zod, if the movie had some actual fucking color. But someone between the money and him made Snyder do things that way, and I'm pretty sure someone else got fired over it.
>>
>>52747328
Yes, I have met business executives. Meeting with people from corporate is the worst part of the year without question.

The bit I don't understand is why the powers that be can possibly give any number of fucks about the gameplay details of the game that have been utterly ruined by the company's decisions. While new to the company, the man has zero reason to know anything about what Jace, The Mind Sculptor is; he shouldn't fucking care at all nor should he care about gameplay interactions. Secondary market protection and the concept of multiple formats cannibalizing the player base, which impacts attendance I understand, you can measure that with numbers. We complain about the Reserve List and the secondary market blah blah blah, I get it - he can and should care about that. Likewise I can understand why he wants to push a super-hero-squad.

But that doesn't excuse the minor details that they're fucking ruining about the game. Are you saying that Cocks sat down, cracked some intro product, and got really fucking salty when his fatty ate a Cancel or a Murder? And he got so pissy in that experience that he dictated to the outsourced marketing group to find out *wink wink* whether players wanted to throw dragons at each other or play pussy things like throw fireballs?

In order to demand marketing jerk you off you need to actually instruct them in the manner how. And if he's taking a hands on approach on how to manage a fucking game he barely understands, then he's the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. You don't walk into the Coke kitchens and tell the fucking cooks how to tweak the formula because you think it needs just a bit more vanilla. You tell them how many fucking cans to put in a box but not fuck with the formula.
>>
>>52747473
You're assuming that people are rational and get to their positions through skill, insight, or ingenuity as opposed to something like nepotism, ass-kissing, or shameless self-promotion. I can easily believe that some dumbfuck at Wizards went "I want Avenger $$$" and then some dude beneath him hired some jackasses to justify it to everyone else.
>>
>>52747558
My point is that I understand why some chucklefuck on a power-trip would demand the Avenger dollars and would demand marketing data cooked up to back him up in the event it fails.

What I don't get is why he would shit all over the gameplay. Why in god's name would you decide that removal is bad, get marketing to back you up, then force it on development? Why would he decide that Masters sets should rarity shift highly desirable cards when he or his lieutenants couldn't tell you the difference between Snapcaster or Comet Storm.

The way I see it, it's not the CEO's fault in that regard; I'm being charitable in saying he shouldn't have the time to give a fuck about color-pie or Stone Rain. That is wholly on the fucking people making the game.
>>
>>52747651
Ah okay, my misunderstanding. Yeah, I doubt he had a hand in that, at least directly. They might have some half-cocked plans with how to direct the game so as to appease him, though. I could easily see the case for weakened removal being that we want ol' Dick Executive to be satisfied, so we have to nerf removal to keep Avengers on the board more, but that's just a guess on my part.
>>
>>52747473
All the contrary, Cocks came on board midways Q2 last years and now suddenly at the earliest possible time thanks to the abysmally slow pace of HQ printed products, we're getting less Gatewatch and more removal starting with Hour of Devastation.
And MaRo couldn't be saltier.

Apparently the previous CEO really didn't give a shit about the game and so let everyone do whatever they wanted which turned into development soft resserve-listing any non-creature/walker spell more powerful than Negate. Design fucking everything up with eldrazi and weird frames. Creative acting like they work at Marvel Comics and PR trying to ban people for breathing in a way they didn't like. Then came Microsoft Man who wants this shit to be a contender in the esports arena instead of two shitheads doing nothing at 100 lives each with sixteen rhinos in the table, and suddenly everyone is upset about the coming policy changes to R&D and creative, Bergeot hasn't opened her festering maw, Jarett hasn't bullied anyone on twitter and we're getting official 1v1 Commander leagues after 6 years of not monetizing something the players wanted so much they were doing themselves through fucking watsapp groups.

And the previous state of the game couldn't have happened if there wasn't an asshole between the company itself and the shareholders telling them everything was going perfect because stores keep preordering sets like retards all 2015 long on the false hopes WotC was finally reprinting enemy fetchlands like they "promised" they would when they said they wouldn't leave land cycles incomplete in standard anymore.
>>
>>52747686
>>52747721
Yunno, I appreciate the responses. But I suddenly got very tired of thinking about who's to blame for all of it. We're not ever going to find out who's the good guy or bad guy here.

All I want, is a fun affordable game that I could care about - even though I could afford it easily; it's just most people can't. And Magic isn't going to be that game. And it won't be it for the foreseeable future. Amonkhet is so fucking bankrupt it isn't even funny.

If this set just had constructed-playable cycling, Flashback instead of Aftermath, and Constellation instead of the Cartouches I would have been just peachy. But it isn't. It's far away from all that.
>>
>>52747868
I used to be a PT contender SOM to BFZ but after that horrid Standard, how shittier and shittier Modern has become and how little people there are even avaliable to play Legacy. I may just move all my non-Legacy playsets and keep a 1x for Commander to play this shit more as a board game with my folks rather than a tournament/social thing if we haven't seen a really sharp turn by Atlazan. And I'm only even waiting for Atlazan because both the mesoamerican flavor and the Atlantis flavor really turn me on.

Fuck that up WotC, and all my hobby money will go to CMON and Fantasy Flight instead.
>>
>>52747926
They lost me at RTR. At this point it's become almost permanent. I've decided that there's no change that could bring me back short of any effort to contact me and people who have left. Magic Open House was apparently this weekend. In the middle of fucking Easter. Brilliant Wizards, forcing your stores to open for your bullshit event instead of giving them a long weekend. Who the fuck is going to be home during a long weekend to do that shit? Professionals will go have a real vacation. Children who are home for Easter can't afford your fucking game Wizards anymore.

Every year they push a new campaign to recruit new players and it's different every three months. Where is the "thank you" campaign to acknowledge your long-time customers? Even a drug dealer throws their people a Christmas present.

This is the bit that bothers me the most, they have no idea what good people they've lost. They only care that those people are filling seats at events. And only when attendance has eaten shit that the CEO lit a fire under their asses to fix it; so they pulled the trigger on bank like Damnation. But those people are not coming back. They have no idea they're gone other than DCI numbers that are fucking rotting and obviously have disintegrated because they're not connected to a Wizards account. They never once reached out to people who were grinding multiple events a week out of love for the game.

The people who taught me have left, the people who taught those people have left. I taught people, I'm gone along with others who knew what they were doing. We were not replaced. The local community is actually dumber now.
>>
>>52748195
I archived my ELO rating on the webpage before they killed it; I was something like top-50 in my region. It was something to be proud of and difficult to maintain or improve. But you got yourself a full-faced card every now and then.

What has Planeswalker Points done? Nothing. All these years, and it's fucking doing nothing to make the game easier to play. It doesn't give us cards, it doesn't even give us a thank you note. It gives us a fucking avatar and last I checked guild mini-games that yield, once again, nothing.

Thanks for the Achievements Wizards, I didn't need them to enjoy your game. Fuck the people who need them and the people who told you those people deserved your love.
>>
>>52737478
Wait, what do you mean by land tokens? I've not heard about this before, just like spells creating land tokens instead of creature tokens?
>>
After reading every post in this thread, I believe I'm done with Magic. I may buy some cards here or there for my collection, or to make a new deck to play with my buddies on the kitchen table, but I've giving up on the new sets and where they're going with Magic in general. Fucking sucks that by the time I get into Magic, all the good sets have become old and the newer sets are shit. Should of gotten into it as a kid, I would of had more fun.
>>
File: 185965433904.png (682KB, 1052x744px) Image search: [Google]
185965433904.png
682KB, 1052x744px
>>52729386
I have Higure staring me in the face everytime I I go through the collection. Someday, I'll fold and try it.
>>
I think Kamigawa's biggest problem weren't the underpowered cards or parasitic mechanics, rather that it had absolutely zero synergy with Mirrodin (and most of Ravnica, since it only saw any significant synergy within Orzhov spirit tribal). Had it shared standard with the Onslaught block, it would've been much better received if you ask me.
>>
>>52747227
It seems more likely they're going to go for 'the Eldrazi were needed for remaking/regenerating planes' or something like that, honestly.
Ulamog tears down what's currently there. Kozilek turns the mess into a proper canvas. Emrakul paints a new plane.
It's the kind of thing that's been heavy-handedly hinted at and thus perfect for Wizards.
Of course, there's not going to be any sensible consequences to this. There's going to be some plane falling apart that they need to fix and they're going to go 'oh this is why the Eldrazi existed' so they can have Ugin be right and have the Gatewatch be heroes by saving the plane's people with the portal they've recovered from Tezzeret at that point, but never fucking answer why this is a problem NOW and not any time during the fucklong time the Eldrazi were imprisoned.
>>
File: by_force.jpg (41KB, 255x361px) Image search: [Google]
by_force.jpg
41KB, 255x361px
>>52736336
>Could you imagine if that was the plan all along? That it was some monumental fuck-up of super heroes ruining shit they don't comprehend?
Aren't they already stealthily doing that? Sure they don't present it publicly like "GUYS LOOK GATEWATCH ARE FUCKUPS" because that would be a PR suicide, but you can't tell me that a card like pic related isn't tongue in cheek about it.
>>
>>52750016
Higure sucks as a general though, just play Vela ninja tribal with Higure in the 99.
>>
>>52749692
Exactly.
It was a proposed solution to the problem of landfetch taking up time due to extra shuffling - instead of grabbing a land from your deck, you'd just make a land token, just like you'd make a creature token. Simple, right? And, since it's a bit weaker than actual landfetch since there's no minor deckthinning, you could cost it slightly more aggressively.
Except playtesters could never figure out how land tokens worked. At all. Or remember if they were tapped or not.
They also tried landfetch that got you lands from outside the game, but then playtesters just shuffled those back into the decks at gameend.
>>
>>52750389
>They also tried landfetch that got you lands from outside the game, but then playtesters just shuffled those back into the decks at gameend.
Why couldn't they just add reminder text to remove the cards from the deck at the end of the game? Early sets dealing with these things had that IIRC in their written text, why not go back to that?
>>
>>52750389
I didn't know playtesters were why I can't enjoy this game like I used to. Why does this always happen?
>>
File: 4Coqmne.jpg (262KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4Coqmne.jpg
262KB, 1280x1024px
>>52750511
When you cater to retards, you get a game for retards. Not limited to mtg at all.
>>
>>52750530
Oh, I'm aware it's not limited to Magic, I used to be a fan of the Warcraft series. My question was more along the lines of why do gaming companies always try to streamline and simplify things since it inevitably kills their core audience and doesn't maintain a reliable new one for them?
>>
>>52750584
>doesn't maintain a reliable new one for them?
Because the average CEO's human nature dictates him to only make a quick buck and then retiring on the bahamas while leaving only crap in his wake.

To be honest though, magic feels like it's reached some kind of a design dead end. They need to make some radical change to it to not just keep rehashing old cards. "Oh look it's ashnod's altar except for enchantments this time" COMING SOON IN HOUR OF DEVASTATION STAY TUNED BITCHES
>>
>>52750644
Ah, of course. And I agree, I've said for a long time they've been playing it way too fucking safe. Problem is, they'll never give us another Time Spiral block, and I think that's the level of shake-up we need again.
>>
If I had total control over a seco d Kamigawa block, it would be about the social and moral quandries brought about by an industrial revolution that also brings about new kami and the general issue of "old traditions vs. new technology" and no major, plane-devastating problem coming up at all.
>>
>>52726322
I think OP means they want to see a Tempest Remastered style reprinting with ninja as rogues, samurai as knights and spirits as elementals.
>>
>>52750720
But how will the Gatewatch(R) help the lowly planar primitives in such a block?
Remember, the block MUST contain the Gatewatch(R).
>>
>>52750833
Spirits being Spirits was never a problem. Spirit is a continuously supported creature type, and it honestly does fit better than elemental if you know anything about what's going on at all.
The problem was how half the set was spirit and half wasn't, and the spirit half was also arcane/splice onto arcane (but not spirit!), and also overcosted, and apparently people Didn't Get It and Couldn't Understand It.
Fixing that half of the block would take a lot more than just some name changes, and be even more functional errata. Speaking of, because it hasn't been done yet this entire thread...
>>52726322
No, they won't, because doing so would be functional errata, and their policy is to not make things change how they function unless necessary. Making them Rogues and whatnot changes their functionality, and makes them be less what they are printed on the card.
Yes, the Creature Type Update was a thing, they've stated repeatedly they regret doing it because a lot of creatures now don't have the types they say they do, and it's lead to a bunch of things having 4+ types due to name, art, and having all previously printed, still supported types. Elf Warrior Archer Druid and shit like that.
>>
>>52751104
I don't really see extra creature types as a bad thing. Actually I wish they had gone three standard creature types instead of four
Modifier - Zombie, vampire, mutant, etc
Race - Human, elf, goblin, etc
Class - Cleric, wizard, warrior, etc
>>
>>52751287
It's a bit of a problem when the card as-printed just says 'Summon Elf'
>>
>>52752149
Yes I can see the issue with it but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
>>
>>52752215
There was also at least one point where, at a tournemant, a player asked to see his opponent's creature. He cast Engineered Plague (or one of the other creature type hosers) and named what was printed on that card...and the opponent did nothing, because what was printed on the card wasn't one of the types the creature had anymore
>>
>>52752473
if this was a tournament I feel like the judge should rule that you can't choose a creature type that no longer exists when a card tells you to choose a creature type.
>>
>>52734965
>the reason sensei divining top (and possibly umezawa's jitte too) were not kaladesh inventions lies 100% in their name.

but dass raycis. i thought wizards were good goys
>>
>>52735121
>Borby is being Borby
>>
>>52746420
... Is that not how it works? I pay a mana, I tap a thing. Does mono mean once a turn? Can I only have one on the field? Does it have some sort of kissing disease?
>>
File: 326[1].jpg (51KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
326[1].jpg
51KB, 312x445px
>>52753648
Nah, Borborygmos is dead and replaced with some random new person.
Because of that one judge mishap a bit ago where someone cast Pithing Needle naming Borby, meaning the Borby Enraged his opponent had revealed, and lost the game because it was now stuck on the Borborygmos with no abilities Pithing Needle affects.
>>52753857
Perhaps this more recent printing will explain how it worked then and still works. The problem is, of course, that old printings don't keep up with newer wordings - they try to make sure things work the same as when they were printed. I was not actually expecting someone to meet those criteria in this very thread. Wow.
Mono meant 'once per turn' - in other words, you tapped it to use its ability.
Now, do you feel it's Wizards' fault that they've changed templating on things over the years? That we've got artifacts with tap symbols instead of Mono Artifacts, and Enchantment - Aura with Enchant Plains instead of...just Enchant Plains?
>>
>>52753857
mono artifacts are the same as today's artifacts that require tapping to activate
>>
>>52750323
vela is a waste of time. ninjitsu is too slow of a mechanic in EDH. I've been tinkering with my ninja EDH deck for about 5 years now. It's not 100% there yet, but its not like i have a ton of resources online seek help from, its mostly based on my own experience.

I run sygg, river cut throat as commander seeing as most of your ninjas and ninja enablers do ~3 damage. the draw lets you draw into more removal and your bombs. The prof put out a sygg river cut throat decklist on his youtube channel thats pretty similar to my own list. I run less counters and more creature removal for the more casual players in my meta. They're past hating blue for coutners, but countering all their bombs still makes them a little salty. I also run more equipment that automatically attaches itself to the ninjas. sai of the shinobi, ronin war club, and some equipment from khans i forget the name of. I also run a more diverse package than the 5 swords, which is more suited for my meta.

If you make a ninja EDH deck, you can drop some i run 36 lands and iirc 4 ramp and im fine on mana. my curve is 2-3. your creatures are weak, you need to pack plenty of removal. at one point i had 20 cards solely for removal. I've since cut them for tutors and more versatile cards because I have a much larger budget.

ive been considering adding white to the deck for the effective removal and equipment support, but i think taking away all the draw i get from sygg will cripple the deck. That's how important i think sygg is to a ninja theme.
>>
>>52754221
its also worth adding, most of your ninjitsu will ne happening before vela hits the field because a lot of ninjas are cheap and give boosts to your tempo. (ninja of the deep hours, mistblade, walker)

I dont like tapping out to play a commander, especially in an EDH deck that only has small dorks that are unblockable, (most of them cant even block too) so i usually dont play her as soon as i get 6 mana out. It leaves me too open for even medium sized creatures to deal a good chunk of damage. once you have enough mana to cast her and have some removal ready, you're better off playing a bomb rather than a card that makes your unblockable creatures more unblockable and sometimes ping your opponent for one. at that point in the game, the only ninjas worth playing are ink-eyes and silent blade oni.

eye blight's ending and rend flesh are also two underrated budget removal spells. I had them in the deck until i go a vampiric tutor and a demonic tutor.
>>
>>52753990
>>52754005
That's distinctly different, though! It's not just semantics. Because you can tap the artifact to prevent its use with the new formatting and not the old formatting.

And of course I don't blame them for changing and adapting and codifying over time. As long as these old grey-beards don't try to shit on me if I misunderstand. Like, if I dig a hole and drop your card in, I'm sorry, dude, it said "bury"
>>
>>52754419
Still wish they'd have kept bury, it made sense and took up less text space. It actually kind of bothers me to think I've been playing this game long enough to see both Bury and Regenerate become obsolete.
>>
File: 266[1].jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
266[1].jpg
72KB, 312x445px
>>52754419
No, it actually does tap, which is why I used Icy instead of a Mox.
And back then, ANY artifact that was tapped simply...stopped working entirely, regardless of what it does, which is why you'll see a few that have lines of text that say that.
>>
>>52754520
The actual problem with bury is that it meant two different things.
Yeah, it meant 'destroy, can't be regenerated'. Which they were honestly completely correct in toning down on while regenerate was still around - having nearly all removal hose regenerate makes regenerate pointless. Occasionally as a minor upside, sure, enough to warrant distinct terminology not so much.
It also meant 'sacrifice your creature' as a cost. Which is, of course, something completely different.
>>
>>52754613
It made sense to me as a contextual thing. It specified burying to make sure you couldn't try to use any shenanigans to avoid making the sacrifice.
>>
So what's the reason that literally everybody and their dog runs Reliquary Tower in their decks? Even if the deck isn't particularily draw-heavy I run into it all the time. What's the big deal? There are so many utility lands I'd run over it, unless there's some interaction that I'm not seeing.
>>
>>52754757
In kitchen table games? Nobody likes discarding because they got manascrewed.
In EDH/Commander? You've got a shitton of lands, one making C to have a spellbook attached isn't that big of a problem and for the same reason as kitchen table, because EDH is the closest to kitchen table the format
>>
>>52736216
Oooooooooooooohhhhhhh
>>
>>52750511
Do you want to know why?

They've been more or less using the same 20 fucking internal playtesters for the past 20 fucking years. In fact, one of their playtesters has been testing the game for longer than Magic was a thing; he was one of the original people who worked with Richard Garfield on the game.

Now, I'm not saying that those playtesters are incompetent.

What I'm saying is that they're inbred.

The proper way to do things is to pull some random pros off the street, comp them some hotels and hookers, and have them test your shit for a week, tweak the product and let them fuck their hookers, and bring them back for another week of testing; this is a process that should take a month. But no, you'd have to make them sign NDAs and that would ruin the fucking surprise and you can't have that. No, we'd rather have a fucking bad product because business philosophy says that you can sell more shit if it's a "surprise".

And don't feel that this is limited to Magic. You can't leak shit because in some cases your competition will hire the Chinese to goddamn bring the product to market before you're even done prototyping. But this is goddamn Magic. It's a fucking game. Nobody is going to steal your shit. The vast majority of your players can barely use goddamn Gatherer let alone keep up with spoilers; how many people at the prerelease actually know the entire set - very few.

No, they're just fucking lazy, which is no goddamn excuse when you're on top.
>>
>>52754901
Yeah but there's a finite amount of slots for colorless lands unless you're very color light, and people commonly dismiss such amazing utility packages like Homeward Path over it, I can't help it but shake my head and wonder whether there's anything more to it. I guess it's also tech against Cyclonic Rift, but why would a Golgari player run it for example?
>>
>>52754419
>It's not just semantics. Because you can tap the artifact to prevent its use with the new formatting and not the old formatting
But that's wrong because you can, and not just mono artifacts so much as every artifact that was tapped ceased to function
>>
>>52754964
It's a lot easier for the average player to see the value of 'no maximum hand size' than the (seemingly) situational ability on homeward path, not knowing that people throw all kinds of creaturesteal and that it's highly unlikely they're going to have over max handsize.
Plus Reliquary Tower has been printed more often, and more widely, than Homeward Path. Tower comes in most precons anyways, IIRC, so they may just be not taking it out.
>>
>>52746952
>overthrowing the Obzedat because they're catholicism
but I thought the obzedat were orthodoxy
>>
>>52755168
would make sense considering ravnica has slavic tones to it
>>
>>52747868
Why the hate on aftermath? It seems like a natural twist on the flashback concept, even if the cards they actually made were bad.
>>
>>52755081
People also forget all the time that Homeward Path fucks over reanimator (if they dare reanimate your shit) and Bribery super hard, both of which are very commonly seen.
>>
>>52755247
Honestly, the biggest problem with them is that there's too many sorceries that should be instants
The mechanic is fine, and no it could not have been done with flashback.
The frames...yeah, they could've done better on the frames, but they're not the worst they've done. Even discounting the Invocations, they're better than the Kamigawa flips and the Mirrodin (the set) artifacts. Still low on the list, but not at the bottom. It's mostly the borders for the bottom one that bother me.
Yes, they're more expensive individually than just the regular effect. Flashback cards are more expensive than the same effect, too. These are flashback cards that get different effects instead of the same one. Woo.
>>
>>52755396
What was wrong with Mirrodin artifacts framewise? Do you mean the early bright frame that some colorblind dummies mistook for white cards?
>>
Can someone explain why the art is much less interesting now? Even though the artists are clearly very skilled it all feels much more bland than it used to.
>>
>>52755431
Yes.
It's not a problem when you're actually playing with them, but if you're sorting through stuff or just looking through a pack, it's easy to accidentally shove one of them in with the white cards, because you're looking at the border rather than the mana cost or typeline.
>>52755453
Because what the artists are told to paint is excessively scripted nowadays. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/modern-masters-2017-edition-new-art-descriptions-2017-03-28
>>
File: DementiaSummoner.jpg (147KB, 680x900px) Image search: [Google]
DementiaSummoner.jpg
147KB, 680x900px
>>52755453
>>52755535
A lot of the artists with readily recognizable styles don't seem allowed to let loose either, and they also seem to have just lost a lot of them. The only ones left I can really think of that are really recognizable immediately are Nielsen and Nils Hamm, it seems like they outsource a lot more now.

Furthermore, Magic used to shoot for its own aesthetics, but now they're trying for mass appeal and doing a lot of Hollywood themepark planes, so they have to have to be generic as shit. Shit like pic related is long gone.
>>
File: 1483632583429.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1483632583429.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>52755396
i honestly would have liked kamigawa style flips a million times more than this half sideways shit but my biggest problems are similar to yours in that they hedged on the side of safety to either make the effects too weak or, the part that I really hate, upshifting them in rarity simply because it is an okay limited card stapled to an overcosted limited card

>>52755535
>we will never get another card where the artist completely misunderstood what was asked for and they print it anyway
>>
>>52755684
'Surely the artist will know what this lesser demon is by name. No need to describe it!'
Then there was the time that a tome became a tomb...but it was in Legends, and the card was a reference to one of the designer's D&D characters. He wasn't dead before, but he was now!
>>
>>52755743
bygone is the age where one man would describe the requested piece of the phone and confuse the shit out of the artist
>>
>>52755535
>It's not a problem when you're actually playing with them, but if you're sorting through stuff or just looking through a pack, it's easy to accidentally shove one of them in with the white cards, because you're looking at the border rather than the mana cost or typeline.
I've literally never had this problem and orig Mirrodin is the set I own the most cards from.
>>
>>52729265
>Splice onto Sorcery
Are you retarded?
>>
>>52756079
Clearly the answer was not splice onto sorcery but rather splice onto creature

t. wizards of the coast
>>
>>52756116
You mean creature onto creature right?
>>
File: Rugose Floater.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rugose Floater.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52756116
i made a custom card like that once
>>
File: 1477087086740.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
1477087086740.png
138KB, 223x311px
>>52756160
>>52756180
nah the best creatures are the ones with instants or sorceries spliced on my man
>>
>>52726322
Offering makes me sad because it's worded REALLY well, and you could do some insanely fun shit with it.
Like offering sorceries letting you cast them at instant speed if you sac a creature, or including some bonus effects if they were cast in that way.
The fact that it's a dead-end ability on all of, what, five cards? That makes me sad.
>>
>>52756467
The worst part?
They could have just used Offering in Eldritch Moon. Creature Offering, bam done.
Instead we get a worse version that doesn't hit instant speed and requires a different cost entirely - which now has a colored component.
The likelihood of seeing Offering again ever is exceedingly slim.
>>
>>52756467
>>52756604
Kamigawa honestly had a lot of cool mechanics desu, they just weren't utilized well.
>>
>>52727828

>kamigawa/RTR standard

is pack rat good?
>>
File: OldArtefacts.png (548KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
OldArtefacts.png
548KB, 624x445px
>>52755028
>>52754529
Case in point.
>>
>>52750918
Not after HOD.
Thanks Microsoft Man! And may the MaRo never reach you.
>>
>>52755168
They haven't burned anyone at the stake and move too much money to be the orthodox.
And they literally act like a sicilian family.
>>
>>52755643
They still have Nelson, Ortiz, and Kev Walker around. Rebecca Guay seems willing to do promo art from time to time and they still have Wayne Reynolds and Steve Argyle around doing nothing.

The problem is not the artists roster, it's the fucking vagina overseeing the art directors so they can't do anything that'd disrupt her SJW fantasy worlds.

Let's hope that too dies in Microsoft Man's glorious reign.
>>
>>52758635
I hadn't seen them much, probably 'cause I only crack a pack now and then and play Cockatrice and Duels. Redpill me on this art director, though, what's her deal? Just more SJW shit?
>>
File: feat210_b_7_8lfv01x1op.jpg (190KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
feat210_b_7_8lfv01x1op.jpg
190KB, 620x450px
>>52758635
>>52758704
I just want at least a few cards to be like this again.
>>
>Christopher Moeller is leaving
I can't think of enough examples of good news Wizards has produced in the past half-decade to balance out all the fuck-ups they've made. Reprints don't count - because they sure as fuck don't happen often enough to be considered good news as opposed to miracles.

Can't pay your fucking long-time assets enough money to stay and keep on making good shit can you Wizards. You pay them the equivalent of an extra couple box sales in revenue for their goddamn art and they'll stay.

Every time someone says they love this game without any pretext I wonder if they're fucking retarded. I love the game, but I seriously hate a lot more about it than love it at the moment.
>>
>>52758704
From what I know Magic has had 2-3 art directors working together since 8th Edition. The most well known are Jeremy Jarvis and later Alexander D. Gregory, followed by Mark Winters and Cynthia Sheppard. Gregory left on 2010 for Blizzard .
The ones working currently and since BFZ when Jarvis pretty much dissapeared from the internet are Davis and Sheppard but you wouldn't think to blame either for the SJW crap since Davis is an average grognard who likes loincloth barbarians, and Sheppard is both attractive and paints waifus for fun and profit. What I've heard from artists at GPs, is that there's an executive above them pushing the diversity theme park agenda which is half the reason why creatures have been looking pretty undistinguishable from one another since BFZ, the other half obviously being them hiring so many cheap noob artists.

Said executive seems to also be the reason for the recent sex-negativity in the game. I would bet Sheppard would have liked Liliana on her original costume for Amonkhet with how much she enjoys painting flowing fabric and midriffs herself.
>>
>>52758843
It's not that the pay is bad, they pay upwards of $1k for piece. The problem is Legend fo the Cryptids pays $800 and doesn't have you spend hours de-sexifying, tanning and normalizing your pictures (it's again, the ghost art director's fault), and also doesn't prevent you from monetizing the piece in playmats and stuff because they're not in bed with Ultra Pro.

WotC grew too much for it's own good and filled with useless executives that are hurting the game from within.
>>
>>52759033
>>52759106
Fuck it.

So we have this information but no name. And even if we had a goddamn name we can't do anything about it.

So we're just supposed to watch this nitpicky bit about the game's art go to shit? Just like we have to watch the gameplay go to shit? And the card availability?

What can you do, shame the fucking players into stopping support for this game until they fix their shit?
>>
>>52759106
>It's not that the pay is bad, they pay upwards of $1k for piece.
I don't know, for a presumably non-salaried high-skill work like this it doesn't really seem like that much
>>
>>52759511
There's a massive ammount of illustration jobs that don't even scratch the $500 and require much more time and commitment than Magic cards, not to mention take months to be delivered since you're not paid until the product is published and that may be 9-15 months away.

Art should be much better paid, but it isn't.
But of course we can have 20 tiers of executives doing nothing of note in the company, each with a six figure montly, company benefits and comissions.
>>
>>52759511
I agree. It should be something on the level of somewhere short of $3000/piece - which I think is necessary to deal with communications and work on a piece. That's $36,000 a year, which is not that great for a high-skill work. You can make that much money sweeping fucking floors.

You spend $750,000 for 250 cards of unique art per set. Seems like a pretty fucking good deal. That's 10,000 boxes sold to retailers. That's not considering Magic Online, pre-releases, GPs, and recycling art for future products.
>>
>>52759683
How long does the average magic artist take to make a piece anyway?
>>
>>52759715
No idea.

But you only have to break shit down in steps to contemplate that it's a reasonable rate.

You have to start with a concept off a shit art description from Wizards, so you sit there and sketch or get a model to pose or pull up photographs or resources. Then you have to read up on the visual guide to the Plane you're making art for. You have to then throw out several sketches and possibly crank out multiple pieces with lines which are then shipped to the art director for approval. You sharpen the lines, then you color, ink, and polish the fuck out of it. You're adding details like flares to armor or textures there or tentacles here.

You're doing environment, characters and effects. You need to be able to do clothing, figure, plants, rocks, landscape, physical objects like tools and weapons, elemental effects like fire, lightning and magic.

Digital artists skip a lot of these steps by just googling shit. But when you're a guy drawing lands of some Kaladesh power plant you have to crank that shit out from your brain.

All the while somebody at Wizards is telling you how to change up things.

I'm not an artist. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I can only imagine what is the barest necessity and it sure as fuck justifies $3000/piece.
>>
>>52759715
8-12 hours not counting feedback downtimes.
>>
>>52759715
Speaking as an artist, back when I did work for small shows and shit I'd generally sink around 10-15 hours into something, though that was work done by hand, I wasn't being given direction, and I also wasn't (nor am I now) on the level of somebody like Kev Walker.
>>
>>52758443
Gatewatch will still be in every block.
They just won't be on as many planeswalker cards.
Hopefully this means they're splitting up and doing solo stuff instead of going as a 5-pack everywhere.
What they're more likely to do, because durr, is it just means we'll get one Gatewatch planeswalker card per set instead of 2-3, and the rest keep showing up on instants/sorceries.
>>
>>52761326
I can't believe we went from long-term plotlines to one-off block Plane stories to a situation with the Gatewatch where they combined elements of both to end up with something not quite as good as either.

You know what the funny thing is, eventually the Gatewatch are going to fail, and the retards still paying copious amounts of money on this game are going to say, "I'm impressed Wizards has gone so dark with the story" and I'm going to be looking at those people saying, "Well, when they've been blowing fucking rainbows up your ass all these years gallivanting around fucking up the entire political structures of all these Planes they're bound to eventually see the consequences of their actions."
>>
>>52753990
See this is why we need cloud based cards that have their wording updated periodically.
>>
>>52761780
Then you could do functional errata instead of banning, too!
Imagine if, with the standard of today, they could simply press a few buttons and Heart of Kiran (and a few other vehicles) cost a bit more and Felidar Guardian had a non-planeswalker clause on it, on every copy in existence.
Where they could go and just turn all the Naga of Khans block into Snakes...or make all prior Snake tribal stuff say 'Snake or Naga'.
Imagine the horror on the secondary market's faces when Tarmogoyf goes back to being 2G and */*
>>
>>52761993
I would honestly love doing magic this way. Especially if you kept your cards in a tf2 bckpack style trading system.
>>
>>52726322
>reprint the less parasitic cards from kamigawa without the parasitic elements
Functional reprints can be done with renamed keywords. Actual reprints with renamed keywords aren't possible.

Bushido and Ninjutsu are certainly mechanics that can return if given more generic names. Splice could possibly make a return if it was made Splice onto Instant or Sorcery though that also suffers from some of the same problems as Buyback in that it causes repetitive gameplay.

Soulshift is less parasitic now than it was back then on account of more Spirits having been printed, but it's still not an exciting keyword and, again, causes repetitive gameplay.
>>
>>52747721
>they "promised" they would when they said they wouldn't leave land cycles incomplete in standard anymore.
They said they would print ally and enemy lands at an equal pace. They never said they would always print 10-land cycles every block.
>>
>>52764587
So at a glacial pace. Fantastic.

That's like your bank telling you that it's going to double your money in interest... eventually.
>>
>>52755396
>and no it could not have been done with flashback.
It certainly could. It just wouldn't have been very elegant, and there are reasons and value to making new keywords that are essentially subsets of already existing keywords.
>>
>>52764692
Flashback can't change if it's an instant or sorcery, and trying to write exceptions to that just for making it do something else goes beyond inelegant and into 'I don't think this even works by the rules' territory.
And that's without the whole problem of having all the flashback cards in the set not doing what flashback actually does - it worked for the Increasing cycle because it was one cycle in a set that had a bunch of flashback already. It doesn't work here because they're the only flashback cards. And between that and the rules problem above, you're better off doing something other than flashback - and at that point, some form of split card or double faced card IS, in fact, the best solution.
Excuse me. It MIGHT work with flashback with double-faced cards. But then you've still got flashback DFCs and no other flashback, and then the complaint is 'why is Wizards reusing TWO mechanics? Did they run out of ideas?'
>>
>>52764761
>Flashback can't change if it's an instant or sorcery
It can't change the card type, no, but the rules text can say something like "you may cast CARDNAME for its flashback cost any time you could play an instant." It's considerably harder with something like turning a sorcery into an enchantment, though, but even that would be possible though incredibly wordy and not at all as good a solution as aftermath.
>>
File: Commit to Memory.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Commit to Memory.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>52764844
>>
>>52764587
They literally said starting with RTR they would no longer print incomplete rare land cycles because it broke Block Constructed. Kept the promise two blocks and then when KTK and fetchlands came in they broke that promise because "muh sheckels", killed block constructed, deleted a shitload of articles from the website and went full backpedal mode.

It was not a misunderstanding and it made them an obsene ammount of money on FRF, DTK and BFZ presales, but that broken promise is one of the reasons they trended downwards all 2016.
>>
>>52765006
I remember that article, and I also remember thinking "oh boy, now people are gonna think that they're going to print 10-land cycles every block because of their ambigious use of language because it lets people assume that they're saying something more exciting than they actually are." It was mythic rarity revealed all over again.
>>
>>52765006
>>52765148
Can we just agree that there is literally nothing they write that can be taken as meaningful or truthful?

Every three months (or less) we get new cards. And we will only know what those cards are when the spoiler goes up. That is the only fucking reliable thing from Wizards.

If Wizards said through the mothership, Reddit, twitter, or whatever other ridiculous vehicle they use for announcements that the sun would rise tomorrow, I wouldn't fucking believe them until they printed it on a card and even then it would be the result of a broken promise or utter and complete lack of effort.
>>
>>52765195
>Can we just agree that there is literally nothing they write that can be taken as meaningful or truthful?
They're actually really good at being truthful in their announcements. The thing is that they're very careful with their words and don't talk in absolutes. Such as when they revealed mythics and said that people didn't need to worry that the mythic rarity would just be a list of all the best cards in Standard. People naturally took this to mean that mythics would be nothing but big splashy cards for the kitchen tables, but what they actually said was that not *every* mythic would be a tournament staple, and that not *every* tournament staple would be mythic.
>>
>>52765250
That's just as bad as lying if you ask me.

If you walk into a conversation with the intent to cover your ass in the future, that's you, telling me, that there's nothing in your brain but you're pressured to tell me something anyways just to shut me up, and that you're just wasting my time telling me things that aren't even certain in your mind.

I get it, that's business. It also happens to be shit business. It's politics, which is also shit business.

So, either Wizards provides unambiguous statements and and delivers on their word and think about what they say; or they provide flowery bullshit that doesn't nail anything down, in which care I don't give a fuck about anything you say until I see something real.

They could have said some staples will be put at Mythic. That would have been straight forward and leave no room for misinterpretation. It would have provoked anger but it would have been honest. But they've decided anger is a bad thing so to mitigate that, they're going to lose the privilege that their statements mean anything.

That's the problem today. People fill the air with uncertainties and bullshit and nothing gets done and no dialog gets done. And as a result people get manipulated and wasting their time arguing over bullshit like we are here right now.

So I repeat, I won't even lend the time to read anything Wizards has to say because it's not worth the time to read it nor worth the time to think about it.
>>
>>52764761
I'd actually like to see them reuse mechanics, just so long as they do it in new or meaningful ways. I don't get why people think they need to constantly keep churning them out, it just leads to them coming up with some lazy shit in sets where they don't have any solid ideas.

>>52765250
Using vague, weaselly language is truthful only in the strictest sense. People are right not to take someone seriously when they do that shit.
>>
>>52747721
>And MaRo couldn't be saltier.
Can someone provide screenshots of Maro being salty over this. I don't have the time or energy to scavenge his tumblr or articles for it.
>>
>>52765354
The very first and second mythics ever were staples. Ajani Vengeant and Elspeth, Knight-Errant found their way into Extended and Legacy immediately and started pushing people's shit in.
There was no room for interpretation, mythics meant business and Sarkhan's preorder price of $60 (he ended up sucking but whatever) broke people's minds and pretty much started, along Tarmogoyf's never ending rise in value, the mtgfinance bullshit that's been plaguing the game for the past decade.
>>
>>52765609
Listen to his drive to work shit from two years ago and then listen to any recent one, it's clear he doesn't feel invulnerable in his job position since Cocks showed up.
>>
Stoddard too
>Here, have Damnation but please stop the memes, bossman doesn't like the memes
>>
Is Microsoft Man, dare I say it, /ourguy/?
>>
>>52765966
How is microsoft man?
>>
>>52766451
A little crancky but otherwise fine.
>>
>>52766494
I need a quick rundown.
>>
>>52766593
He brought LeapFrog from near-dismissal to stability, got Gears of War, Killer Instinct and Titanfall greenlit, and generally is the reason why XBOX as a brand isn't down the gutter despite being the least popular gaming console among both grognards and casuals.

So far in WotC he's opened a digital studio to "bring magic into the esports arena" and triggered MaRo, Stoddard, Bergeot and Jarret into stopping acting like retards online. He also seems to have demanded a sharp turn in R&D and creative because the set that was about to start development when he arrived (HOD) is suddenly set to have more removal, less OP creatures and less Gatewatch focus going forward which goes against everything MaRo and Creative had been building on since original Innistrad.
>>
>>52767168
>triggered MaRo, Stoddard, Bergeot and Jarret into stopping acting like retards online.

oh god please sauce on this, i wanna savor every last bit of tears
>>
>>52746929
Dude, just because you are bad at your job and you work at a bad firm doesn't mean that all marketeers work like that.
>>
>>52764953
Formatting should be "If you cast ~ for its flashback cost, instead" or "When you cast ~ if its flashback cost was paid, instead" or something along those lines.
>>
>>52729265

>just make the flavor more pop culture-y

Fuck that
>>
>>52767577
the main issue with kamigawa is it tried to cash in on the anime craze but didnt go for anything remotely anime. Most people don't even know what shinto is. I didn't either but I was at least interested enough to find out.
>>
>>52767615
>didn't go for anything remotely anime
Thank god for that
>>
>>52767615
you don't have to know about shinto to appreciate psuedo-japanese surrealism
>>
>>52767420
>Implying convincing millionaires to give you money for the lulz isn't the best marketing ever
>>
>>52734590
It pairs with Gruul's OG keyword bloodthirst.
>>
>>52739437
Bring. Back. Szadek.
>>
>>52767615

I know that Wizards will never release a set that requires any amount of curiosity on the part of the audience again because they believe their audience is literally braindead, but even then they can still do better than releasing Naruto: The Magic Set.
>>
>>52726322

Ninjutsu was NOT a problem, Ninjutsu was just a random flavorful ability for ninjas. Nothing wrong with that. You're not going to have ninjas in a generic Magic set anyway.

The problem was that every second card had either "Arcane" or "Splice onto arcane" printed on it, and that meant they were never going to get fucking reprinted because it's no longer okay for cards to have random ass keywords on them from twelve years ago. So many of Kamigawa's cards are perfectly generic and reusable, except they have Arcane and that ruins them.
>>
>>52764276
>Functional reprints can be done with renamed keywords. Actual reprints with renamed keywords aren't possible.

They're perfectly possible, WotC just doesn't want to do them.

Even now there are cards and rules in Magic whose functionality has been changed to be something entirely different. They just did that recently with Winter Orb errata. Nothing stops them except that they don't like doing it.
>>
>>52734590
Wait, bloodrush's flavor was that the discarded creature jumped into the fray with the target? I thought it was some sort of giant growth magic thing.
>>
>>52726322
wtf is sneak did they print Ninjutsu as Sneak excusively for hamburger players???
>>
>>52756079

Ask MaRo, that was his own idea of how Kamigawa's Splice mechanic should have been handled. Instead of Splice onto Arcane there should have been just Splice onto Instant and Splice onto Sorcery.
>>
>>52734778
I doubt they are a real life hank pym
>>
>>52765354
>>52765619
They've never had STAPLES at Mythic. Big powerful things that ended up being used a lot, yes.
But they haven't put in shit like bog-standard removal or duals in mythic. THOSE are staples, the things you'd be using in every deck in those colors regardless of the rest of the deck's strategy/contents. The fact that they made certain cards too good does not negate this. Mind Sculptors and Allies of Zendikar are not bog-standard cards, they're overly pushed fancy things.
Yes, they've fucked up a lot on what goes in mythic. But they haven't crossed that line, and since they put it in print that they wouldn't we can hold them to that one.
>>
>>52726322
Kamigawa was a fucking good set
>>
>>52767718
The problem with Ninjutsu is that you can't have Ninjutsu without Ninjas - it's a good ability, but it's stuck with Japan. Same with Bushido and Samurai.
>>52767732
Winter Orb's worked like that since forever, what do you mean recently? The only change was adding the 'stops while tapped' bit that was part of the rules of the game for EVERY artifact at the beginning of the game onto the card itself
>>
>>52767759
The point of this thread was trying to rename/reflavor some of the unproblematic Kamigawa mechanics to be usable in later sets.

OP used a card editor to suggest Sneak as a refluff for ninjutsu, so it can be used on non-ninja creatures.
>>
>>52767759
>hamburger players
You...do know where Magic is made and what audience Magic is primarily catered towards, right?
>>
>>52743093
>implying Atlazan leak wasn't distraction marketing like Mirrodin Pure
>>
>>52767647
Hell yes.
>>52767717
>Naruto: The Magic Set
Fuck this. I love kamigawa, but all the talk about how to make things more pop-culture relevant is sickening. Don't forget they'd also shoehorn in the gatewatch, and make them lead another rebellion against the badwrong local cultural practices.

Is it just me, or is the story of Amonkhet feel super-imperialist?
>>
>>52768074
>you can't have Ninjutsu without Ninjas
How is that even a problem? Ninjas are mainstream enough you could shove them into any set you wanted to and people would understand them. You could have Dimir assassins on Ravnica use ninjutsu, you could have inspectors on Inistrad use ninjutsu. Maybe two cards with flavor text is all you need for the explanation. Except that Wizards loves mono-cultural planes, so that's a big no-no.
>>
>>52770100
>Wizards loves mono-cultural planes
and yet no pirates/high seas plane, no norse plane (can they be the same?) No native american plane, No Atlantis, No underground plane, no Dinosaur plane...
>>
>>52770344
Those are all on the short list.
>>
>>52770021
It's not, the joke has been repeated several times that Amonkhet is basically American foreign policy: the set.
>>
>>52770021
Well, we all knew this whole trend was disingenuous pandering. Amonkhet is just especially obvious.
>>
>>52770501
Where can I see this 'short list'
>>
>>52770589
It's not actually that short, nor is it written down anywhere that can be seen.
>>
>>52770617
How do you know what's on it, then?
>>
>>52770589
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/faq

Parts of it can be found here. You can ask Maro about anything that he hasn't written down.
>>
>>52770630
It's been discussed before by MaRo and others, but it's nothing official to my knowledge.
>>
>>52770344
>No Atlantis

That is coming though
>>
>>52770637
>>52770589
>What’s the “short list”?

>It’s a list of ideas for new planes that are often requested and Wizards is aware of. They include, among others:

>Egyptian World
Amonkhet In stores soon.
>Fairy Tale World
Does Lorwyn count?
>High fantasy/”Camelot” World

>Indian World

>Meso-American World

>Murder Mystery/Noir World
Possibly innistrad sequal counts as this mixed with lovecraft
>Pirate World

>Prehistoric World

>Prison World

>Roman World

>Sky World

>Steampunk World
Kaladesh
>Underground World

>Viking/Norse World

>Water World

>Wild West-Inspired World

>and

>Return to Previous World
This one is always on the menu
>>
>>52770822
>Does Lorwyn count?
No. Fairy tale world would be based more on H.C. Andersen's and the Grimm brothers' stories.

>Possibly innistrad sequal
Innistrad is the horror world. Noir world would be different.
>>
>>52770682
>Today's organized play article says fall set is Ixalan
It's not Atlantis, it's Inca/Aztec/Maya
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.