[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently trying to make a sci-fi campaign but not sure how to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Currently trying to make a sci-fi campaign but not sure how to bring the group together
>Its 2180 and humanity is close to launching its first colonization shuttle.
>No other alien races found (yet)
>Players come together and are asked and to scrap a lost "space drone" for materials, just follow the signal
>Apparently its not a drone but they are send out to investigate a lost mining station that they lost contact with a couple of months ago
>WIP Somehow they manage to jump from ship to another lost ship and find an archive of neural networks of an ancient alien race that uploaded its conscience as final struggle for survival to a supercomputer and story goes from there

How do you start your campaigns thread?
>>
>>52714491
Who's sending them out to the "drone"?
If it's a government/inter-governmental operation, then the players would either be top-of-their-field secret agents, scientists or spec-ops.
To give more options, some could be criminals who just so happen to be the best person for the job, so they get press-ganged for the team in exchange for freedom or asylum or something.
>>
>>52714491
Back in the 1990s I read a novel about humans finding an ancient alien parking garage on Venus full of single-person spaceships that came pre-loaded with coordinates to a huge amount of locations. Most of these were either empty space or nothing special, but occasionally one would take you to a location where you can find a weird artifact or something.

The mining colony could have dug up something similar, which possibly is the reason for why the colony stopped responding (maybe it didn't like being woken up).

Anyone know the name of the book I described?
>>
>>52716398
I am actually not yet sure what my players are going to pick as characters, but I can work around it (probably)

>>52716861
Hmm perhaps I could work with the coordinates idea. Perhaps they crashland into the mining colony losing their ship in the process. could give them an initiative to scurry around for ways to get off this sinking ship
>>
>>52714491
Since the human race is still in the early stages of space exploration and is unfamiliar with many of the universe's secrets, they have a general policy when choosling teams for potentially important space missions: members are selected from a variety of different cultures, companies, and other interest groups, to minimize the risk of any one particular group discovering an important secret and monopolizing it to raise their own people at the expense of the rest of humanity.
>>
>>52714491
Your characters are from earth, with professionsions, skills, memory. But actually they are drones with 'model' ai that alien mschine created to study humans. Real humans(bonus points - actual persons your players created) arrive at the end of the story.
Skip the part where players appear on station/ship and if they start to ask question say that their characters forget this part.
>>
File: 1491539055.jpg (105KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491539055.jpg
105KB, 768x1024px
>>52716861

>Anyone know the name of the book I described?

Gateway, by Frederik Pohl
>>
>>52718405
If you just say they forgot, it would be very suspicious. Instead, if they want to know why their characters are on the mission, ask them why they'd go on the mission.

Still, that's actually an interesting plot twist. Props for creativity.
>>
>>52714491
>first "colonization shuttle"
Let's nevermind the "why is it called a shuttle" for the moment.

>"first" ie offworld colonies haven't happened yet
>ie Mars hasn't been colonized yet
>ie we haven't even left the solar system yet
>somehow manage to lose an entire "mining station" and yet no one goes looking for it
Do they not have telescopes in the year 2180?
>>
>>52722659
Yea there are a LOT of loose ends right now

might just keep the neural network thing to the side or something for now and have my players be players that join one of the very first commercial uses of wormhole technology in where they board a colony ship. It goes all wrong and they end up somewhere lost in space and now they have to travel back to earth with a big sum of lightyears away.

I'll have em manage their ship n crew ect, but should incentive them to work together and gives a lot of space to whomever they want to play as on-board of a colony ship (which is presumable drawn from lottery, or is it?)
>>
>>52718800
Thank you very much, my exceedingly awesome compatriot.
>>
>>52714491
>2180
>humanity hasn't colonized anything yet
I wouldn't even want to be alive in this shitty world. and yet I probably already am
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.